https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/wn/h4/NM7IF11GMII4.JPEGCarbonite Server backup for small businessWe are a small organization with a single server. We currently use Carbonite Server Backup to create full server offsite backup once per month.,Relatively easy to set up. Very responsive support.,We tried creating a full server backup once per month with incremental backup daily. This proved unworkable over a standard DSL network connection. The full server backup would take approximately 3 days to upload to cloud and then the incrementals were temperamental, The software had to be reinstalled on several occasions after a failed backup. We now run a full server backup once per month and use file backup for dailies. This is much more reliable and has reduced the time required to monitor and fix. On the plus side, support was very helpful and good in getting things started again but the backups required constant attention.,5,In the past we relied on a secretary to swap out an external backup drive and save it to an offsite location. Carbonite reduced the time required as well as forgetting to take the backup drive off site.,Windows Server,Peace of mind.Great tool for data backup and restore.We use Carbonite Server Backup to back up our digital information across the whole company to the cloud. This backup is on daily basis to secure data from potential hardware failure due to natural or manmade incidents. The three backup protocols can be optimized for most the efficient and least cost plan.,Carbonite's technical support is very helpful. We received great support in a couple incidents, including backup plan configuration. Backup setting can be customized to meet business needs, i.e., specifying folders or type of files for backup. Data restore procedure is easy. Accidently deleted a file in a local server and it was easily identified in the cloud and restored to the server.,To me, Carbonite is only for server data backup. I was hoping for a cloud based database backend server or share folder, but I guess that's not what Carbonite is meant to be. An administrator user should be able to manage files in their account at the Carbonite website.,9,It did save our data in at least two incidents. The restore procedure was easy. It helped pass several business audits.,,The cloud restore could be lengthy depending on the internet setup and traffic. When there is a need, local restore is much faster.Double C - Carbonite & ConfidenceCarbonite is being used to backup our main exchange server, which includes our mail and ERP system. Full backups are run monthly with intermittent being run nightly for the purpose of Disaster Recovery if ever needed.,Reliable - since inception the backup has run successfully nightly Restore - we have used Carbonite several times to restore files that were inadvertently deleted. It is very user friendly Customer Service - professional, attentive, Was used for initial setup as well as addressing an issue which was at our end.,recovery speed - sufficient but could be improved printable user manual - to include detailed setup information, sample,8,As a Gov't supplier there are certain requirements that have to be met of which Carbonite fulfills We have had the need to restore files which all have been done successfully via Carbonite backup The data encryption level could be higher to satisfy customer requirement,Symantec Backup Exec,Having a cloud backup in addition to our on site backup has increased our health assessment score with our customers, in addition has provided a sense of security in the event of a catastrophic event whereby data is lost. There is a confidence level and security having CarboniteWhy I love Carbonite!We use Carbonite as a secondary backup as we were finding that if our regular backup doesn't backup all the time on the server than we are in trouble, plus if there is a fire at our facility than we have a backup that is located off of our premises. Carbonite does backup our whole organization.,I love the fact that when we get notified that a backup didn't run properly we can just call or chat with Carbonite and they work with us for no charge to get the issue fixed. Usually when they work with us to get an issue fixed it is taken care of the 1st time. There employees are very knowledgeable when working with them.,Overall I think Carbonite is pretty easy to use once you have been in their system a few times.,9,Saved us when our regular backup didn't work for a couple weeks and we weren't aware of it, then our server got a virus. Thank goodness we had it backed up on Carbonite also!,Back up pro,We use Carbonite Server Backup in addition to our local back up. That way were have a backup in the cloud.,No,Price Vendor ReputationSmall business reviewOur whole business is backed up with Carbonite including the Server Backup service for our local database.,Customer Service Communication Cost,The way they do the server backups. The software the end user uses to set up server backup. Generic emails that don't always explain the problem correctly.,6,We haven't actually had to recover anything so we have not used the service as intended. So currently it is purely a cost with no return yet.,Dropbox,It hasn't impacted us either way.
Windows
Carbonite Server Backup

Carbonite Server Backup Reviews

Carbonite Server Backup
Top Rated Award
Filter 33 vetted Carbonite Server Backup reviews and ratings
May 05, 2017

Review: "Carbonite Server backup for small business"

• Relatively easy to set up.
  • Very responsive support.
  • We tried creating a full server backup once per month with incremental backup daily. This proved unworkable over a standard DSL network connection. The full server backup would take approximately 3 days to upload to cloud and then the incrementals were temperamental, The software had to be reinstalled on several occasions after a failed backup.
  • We now run a full server backup once per month and use file backup for dailies. This is much more reliable and has reduced the time required to monitor and fix.
  • On the plus side, support was very helpful and good in getting things started again but the backups required constant attention.
Not well suited for situations without a high speed internet connection.
Read Warren Tenney's full review
March 22, 2017

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Great tool for data backup and restore."

• Carbonite's technical support is very helpful. We received great support in a couple incidents, including backup plan configuration.
  • Backup setting can be customized to meet business needs, i.e., specifying folders or type of files for backup.
  • Data restore procedure is easy. Accidently deleted a file in a local server and it was easily identified in the cloud and restored to the server.
  • To me, Carbonite is only for server data backup. I was hoping for a cloud based database backend server or share folder, but I guess that's not what Carbonite is meant to be.
  • An administrator user should be able to manage files in their account at the Carbonite website.
Carbonite Server Backup is well suited for server data backup with the capability of specifying types of files to be excluded and specifying selected file folders to be included.
Read Josh Yau, Ph.D.'s full review
March 31, 2017

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Double C - Carbonite & Confidence"

• Reliable - since inception the backup has run successfully nightly
  • Restore - we have used Carbonite several times to restore files that were inadvertently deleted. It is very user friendly
  • Customer Service - professional, attentive, Was used for initial setup as well as addressing an issue which was at our end.
  • recovery speed - sufficient but could be improved
  • printable user manual - to include detailed setup information, sample
Well suited for home use if you have files, photos, sensitive data that would be devastating to you if lost if computer crashes
Well suited for small businesses as a secondary backup for quick & easy restore of a lost or corrupt file.
Less appropriate for businesses that require high level of data encryption
March 24, 2017

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Why I love Carbonite!"

• I love the fact that when we get notified that a backup didn't run properly we can just call or chat with Carbonite and they work with us for no charge to get the issue fixed.
  • Usually when they work with us to get an issue fixed it is taken care of the 1st time.
  • There employees are very knowledgeable when working with them.
  • Overall I think Carbonite is pretty easy to use once you have been in their system a few times.
When having to pull backup information from Carbonite it was very nice that everything goes as planned.
March 22, 2017

Carbonite Server Backup: "Small business review"

• Customer Service
  • Communication
  • Cost
  • The way they do the server backups.
  • The software the end user uses to set up server backup.
  • Generic emails that don't always explain the problem correctly.
It's really great for any business but you have to always buy more space than you need due to them not allowing extra space temporarily for the active backup and before the secondary one is removed. This causes problems constantly for us.
It hasn't impacted us either way.
December 16, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Carbonite the solutions maker"

We were using tape backup, and people forgot to change out the tapes on a regular basis. So looking for a solution Carbonite was perfect, for we could back it up to our local NAS and then have it backup to the cloud via automation. We receive emails each step of the way, so we always know what is going on. If something goes wrong we get a email and then we can fix it quickly and continue on.
  • Automatic emailing of static of backup or if problems happen.
  • Easy admin console to see how much drive space is available.
  • Easy to install.
  • The email system does not always send out emails on failures.
  • Have it do a retry on some backup operations when it fails.
In our case it was a perfect fit for not just our server backup, but we can log into a main console and check on backups on PC's thru out the company.
This was the other reason for choosing Carbonite, since if we have a server failure I can pull back data from our location NAS drive to get some of the operations back up and running. Then once those are running, [I can] bring the rest of the data across at night when the traffic is lower on the internet and we can do it faster. Also, we have had a case where we just needed to bring back a portion of data and it was easy with just accessing the NAS via Carbonite.
Read Robb Glietz's full review
December 30, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Do you think you will ever need your backup?"

I use Carbonite Server Backup across our entire organization. I needed backup of files that I could easily verify and let work through the night. I wanted to use a product that was easy to manage because my time is very limited but I know from experience that it is very important to everyone in our operation that we have a solid backup plan.
  • It is very easy to select shared network drives. If you have it mapped on your profile, it finds them just as you find them each day as you use the network drives.
  • Click and go!
  • The screen is very easy to understand.
  • I love how you can validate your backup.
  • I can do a quick restore to an external local hard drive to test my data being backed up.
  • I would love for Carbonite to backup my VMs from server 2012 R2 datacenter.
  • If a drive is not properly mapped, it won't let me browse to find it.
  • You must have your network drives mapped properly for it to find them for a backup.
It you are looking to backup locally on a machine or from a server, it is ideal. If you are limited on local storage for your backup, you can't use this efficiently to backup directly to the cloud unless you have major bandwidth at your disposal. Even then, if you are having issues, it is nice to have a local backup.
With both locations housing the backup, it further makes extra safeguards in protecting our data. I can take the external drives off site to keep them safe. If everything was at one location, I don't think that's a good plan in case of a disaster. Others easily can see and understand my plan with this product.
Read Danny Cockrell's full review
December 21, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Carbonite works for us"

We use Carbonite Server Backup to back up our staff server, which includes the domain controller and most importantly, our share folders, where staff saves all of their files. It is used also to back up our financial software and employee payroll records.
  • It is easy to administer and monitor. We've set up automatic backups, which saves us a lot of time.
  • We have been able to retrieve accidentally deleted files, as well as a whole database, using the restore feature. This was invaluable.
  • I have also had to use the technical support and was impressed by how much time the technician spent with me to solve my problem.
  • At some point we had to update the software and it seemed a little difficult to do that. We had tech support help us, and I don't know if I would have been able to do it myself.
Our organization (library) is probably relatively small compared to other companies, so I don't know if my experience is typical. I feel that Carbonite is well suited for our situation and does exactly what we need, which is back up our data to the cloud so that it's more secure. We needed an off-site solution, and Carbonite worked well for us.
We do back up data locally to another server, but I feel safer using the cloud for backups. I also have more confidence in the restore feature, since I've used it already and it worked well for us.
Read Janet Kowal's full review
December 15, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Carbonite better than Tape"

carbonite is being used across the whole organization, it is backing up servers and databases. It solved our problem we had a few years ago when it was time to buy a new tape backup system and all the components needed to run the system. We find it easier and cheaper to have switched to carbonite. It also addresses our concerns on security and offsite access if something ever went wrong.
  • Document backup is the easiest and quickest.
  • These last couple of updates Carbonite released hyper-V backup capabilities which helped us out greatly.
  • Carbonite also lets one do independent backup of the servers if for some reason we also want specific programs backuped and still use the hyper v backup.
  • Great tech support, I reach out and they have worked daily with me till my problem was resolved.
  • I would like to see Carbonite run without being tied to Java updates.
  • Its been a while since I have done a restore but it was some what difficult and hairy finding certain particular files; not folders, they were easy.
  • The dashboard coloring for checking backup storage on the web is very difficult to read. I would prefer a bold black print.
Best use is in Hyper V backups, or file backups. I am always scared of the security encryption because if you lose it, as they inform you, they can not help you open it up, but that is also a good point if security is a great concern of yours.
Having it in the cloud solves our offsite data back problem esp. in a small company.I don't have to worry about putting it in my car, taking it home, switching it out, etc. etc. Also with it in the cloud, if disaster hit our place I need only worry about setting up the server and pulling the data down. With that I still have the option to save it locally if I want to use it for other reasons, or just for piece of mind having it on site as well encrypted.
Read Matt Cubbage's full review
December 13, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Inexpensive Reliability"

Our company uses Carbonite Server Backup for all of our servers. This includes email, mobile, operating systems, and software. We have never had to obtain copies of our backups, of which, I am very grateful. Whenever our cloud backup is getting close to full. I receive an email alert to either purchase more space or cleanup our current backups. I use these alerts to keep our system backing up at optimal performance. Whenever I need technical support Carbonite is just a phone call away and any updates or problems are handled with relative ease and timeliness.

Before Carbonite, we had servers that used the old tape backup system. Each night we would have to make sure someone changed out the tapes and took them home, so as not to have them destroyed in either a fire or disaster. Carbonite Backup to the cloud has given me peace of mind knowing we are protected. I highly recommend anyone that is thinking about purchasing backup servers to give Carbonite a call first.
  • Technical Support
  • Reliability
  • Cost savings
  • Ease of use
  • Downloading updates
Carbonite Server Backup is well suited for small to mid-size companies that cannot afford expensive backup systems. Or that need a reliable service that comes with peace of mind knowing it is off site and totally secure from hackers.
It is very simple. Cost savings of not having to purchase expensive equipment has been the foremost best quality. Plus, I can control from our local site when and how much data is to be stored. I am also able to control when backups are to performed and their frequency. Being able to do these things without having to utilize an offsite IT person is another great advantage.
Read Bill Casey, CTB's full review
December 22, 2016

"Carbonite Server Backup Review"

We are a new (May 2015) retail flooring business. We had, and still have, many issues to solve and manage in our business. I have had them for backup on my system at home with no problems. Turning over the backup task to them took a task off my back. I still have plenty!!
  • Quick notification of potential problems with files.
  • Excellent support with issues/problems.
  • I only have 1, but it is very important to me: we are a small company - 4 people - and none of us have much computer knowledge. When issues arrive that require communication we need less "techie" talk and more plain English.
[It is well suited for] small companies with high daily activity that needs to be saved.
Read MORRIS WATSON's full review
December 15, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Straightforward and affordable backup service"

Carbonite backs up our point of sale server.
  • Pretty easy to set up.
  • Shows me what I am backing up and when something fails.
  • Communicates when my storage is reaching its limit.
  • Not as intuitive as I would like.
  • Poor instructions on how to set up backup set deletions which resulted in maxing out our server storage space.
Good for straightforward backup jobs of a single server with a pretty tech-savvy user. Not good for those who don't understand files or server setups.
I like having both backups, but would have been fine with just a cloud backup.
Read Ellen Barnard's full review
March 16, 2017

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "I stumbled across Carbonite Backup, and I fell in love."

I have a handful of clients utilizing Carbonite Server Backup. Carbonite Server Backup has an intuitive user interface, reasonable rates, and is incredibly reliable. I've used it to recover from a couple of cryptowall attacks, and various situations that require file restores, and full server restore, and it's worked perfectly for my clients' needs. If I had to complain about anything, it might be the need for a decent internet connection for the initial backup, but that's not even a breaking point. Carbonite is up there with one of my top 3 backup solutions.
  • Intuitive user interface, easy to set up, easy to use, perfect for SMBs.
  • Cost effective, secure solution.
  • Great for file recovery, and full system restore.
  • The need for a good internet connection for initial sync, but Carbonite can't really be to blame for this one.
It's an incredibly simple application for SMBs; has an intuitive user interface and great customer support. It's helped me recover from something as big as a full blown server crash, to doing something as simple as recovering a lost file. Pricing is perfect for small business clients, and the customer support is only a phone call away if you run into any trouble.
For the more budget conscious customers being able to utilize a hybrid backup option is amazing. We can backup to a local drive, and replicate archives, or critical data off site to cloud storage. Cloud redundant backups are a great selling point for newer customers who are looking for the most "bang for their buck" if you will.
December 20, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "I Really Like Carbonite!"

It's used for our entire company. It provides us with backup support in case our local backups fail, if any, as well as in the case of an entire server failure.
  • It provides a safety net in case of total local drive failures.
  • It provides a safety net in case our server quits operating.
  • It gives wonderful customer support if you come across any issues.
  • It allows you to pull particular files from prior days and can support many days worth of our company's in-house documentation.
  • A quicker way to obtain individual files would be nice.
  • I don't know of any other issues.
  • I really like dealing with all the reps at Carbonite, although, thankfully, I don't need them often.
Rather than having to back-up to a thumb-drive for off-site storage of necessary data, you can depend on Carbonite to have it for you!
Again, it just frees my mind of worry since I know all necessary documentation within the company is also with Carbonite in case of local server failure.
December 14, 2016

Carbonite Server Backup Review: "Trust Carbonite"

We use it to backup all mission critical docs and data: desktops, laptops, server, and database.
  • Setup and forget it. Carbonite will run without any daily monitoring.
  • Carbonite will notify you if there is a problem with a backup.
  • Carobnite user support is friendly, knowledgeable and and quick at solving any problems I can not resolve.
  • Predefined server backup schedules with retention time frames.
Anyone that relies on the information on computers or servers to run their business, must backup. Carbonite is easy to use and secure.
I just backup to the cloud [rather than using hybrid backup].

Carbonite Server Backup Scorecard Summary

Universal recovery (1)
Live recovery (1)
Recovery verification (1)
Business application protection (2)
Multiple backup destinations (2)
5.6
Incremental backup identification (5)
Backup to the cloud (5)
6.4
Deduplication and file compression (1)
Snapshots (1)
4.5

About Carbonite Server Backup

Carbonite Server Backup is designed to recover anything from a single file to an entire system with the click of a button. Users can protect virtually any type of file on both physical and virtual servers, NAS, SAN and external hard drives. The vendor’s value proposition is that their solution assures that users without an IT department and those that are the IT department can rest easy knowing their data is safe. According to the vendor, Carbonite Server Backup is easy to configure and schedule automatic backups (full, incremental and differential) that require zero user interaction. Users can choose local, cloud or hybrid backup targets.