Salesforce Chatter is a collaboration platform with integration into the business process and the ability to conduct actions like approving expense reports and creating support cases from the activity feed itself. Other key features include a mobile application and document management functionality.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/JL/5u/V54STLL8AU3S.PNGWhy chose anything else?We use Salesforce.com heavily in my organization with many different business functions engaging with SFDC. We have Chatter enabled on virtually all of our SFDC objects and we use Chatter to collaborate directly on the records being discussed. Having this discussion directly in the tool instead of emailing back and forth is a real boost to productivity since it's attached to the record, and ensures that the conversation is preserved for later reference. In addition to collaborating on standard CRM records, e.g., a sales team discussing an opportunity, I am involved in Salesforce.com enhancements and collaborate with them on support tickets and user stories by using Chatter on these records.,The ability to embed the Chatter feed on any Salesforce.com record. Having that context directly on the record in question is key. I've had a scenario of collaborating on the same records before and after implementing Chatter and after implementation my job became much easier. Replying directly to the email notification about a Chatter message posts the reply directly to Chatter. This is very useful for a quick response while doing something else, without having to login to Salesforce.com. This is especially useful while on a smartphone. Interface is very simple and easy to use. On any record where Chatter is supported, just expand the feed, @mention anybody who needs to be included, and write the message. Ability to follow a record even if you're not directly included in a conversation, in order to see any updates. This is especially useful if you need to see when a record is updated and you have automatic updates set to post to Chatter.,My only complaints with Chatter have been solved. I used to be annoyed that attaching files required clicking an "attach" button after browsing and selecting. I was also annoyed that there was no rich text formatting (e.g., bolding, underlining, and other features useful in a communication tool) but those have been solved in product updates. I really have no complaints, because the product is simple and does the job well.,10,The ROI is hard to quantify but compared to how we in my company would traditionally collaborate on SFDC records, via email, this takes about a third of the time, and a tenth of the time if it's put in terms of finding old conversations by digging through emails, vs. finding the SFDC record and searching the chatter feed.,,SmartsheetImproved communication for Salesforce usersWe use it for some of our projects and also to help clients that use Chatter extensively. Chatter is typically used by our clients to discuss the status of records among team members. For example, if there are interesting updates about a customer, a contact, or an opportunity. So some typical examples are: Company XYZ: I visited the client in December 2017. They are growing at a fast pace and are likely to be acquired by a Fortune 500 company Contact Jane Smith: Jane reports to the CEO and is a critical decision maker for our product. Opportunity Sale of machinery: This could be a quick win for us. Although this is a small Opportunity in terms of revenue, long-term strategic business is high.,Communication between team members Capture historical information for future reference Escalate to Management issues or critical importance,Definition of rules that allow users to automatically follow and unfollow records.,9,Chatter has lead to improved communication within the Sales team. Chatter leads to increased knowledge sharing about business It also leads to more informed Management,Slack and Skype for Business,Microsoft Office 2016, JIRA Software, Google DriveChatter is super helpful and easy to useWe're working to get the entire organization using it. Everyone has access - but not everyone uses it with any consistency. We use it as a way to document discussions, tag folks, ask for more info, and share kudos/client feedback org-wide. It's especially helpful to document change discussions/processes for internal software usage.,You can tag people just like you would on social media (with the @ symbol). Documentation!!! I love how this tracks exactly who's responsible for what. It's a great way to show thanks/kudos - both from internal and external folks.,I haven't experienced any downsides with Chatter yet!,8,Very positive. Allows for increased communication and visibility across departments.,,MS SharePointOld lion still does tricksWe use Chatter as a part of our Salesforce CRM platform. Mostly for communication about opportunities and across the entire company. It's a convenient way to stay informed about what's happening in our Salesforce CRM instance and participate in discussions.,Opportunity communication - tagging people and notifying teams across an org Sharing documents - ability to attach documents in discussions and make them accessible to relevant people Polls - ability to post polls in an opportunity in Salesforce CRM and easily get results,Outdated UI More post settings - who can see and who can't Better desktop and mobile experience (again about UI),5,Definitely helped individuals and teams collaborate on a specific opportunity or similar object in Salesforce CRM. Quick and easy.,,Slack, HipChat, Mavenlink, JIRA Software, Adobe PhotoshopWe love Chatter!Chatter is being used to communicate with all departments in the company. It is a quick, and efficient way to notify someone of something that needs to be done or said. I work in a finance company and there can be many questions that customers ask. It allows me to work with our underwriting team better.,Easy to use Quick and efficient Ability to notify person of message via email as well,Have to log into Salesforce to use it Allow use of hashtags to group chats Sometimes not reliable,10,More efficiency Closing more deals Closing deals quicker,None
Chatter

Chatter Reviews

Chatter
Filter 40 vetted Chatter reviews and ratings
May 23, 2018

Chatter Review: "Why chose anything else?"

• The ability to embed the Chatter feed on any Salesforce.com record. Having that context directly on the record in question is key. I've had a scenario of collaborating on the same records before and after implementing Chatter and after implementation my job became much easier.
  • Replying directly to the email notification about a Chatter message posts the reply directly to Chatter. This is very useful for a quick response while doing something else, without having to login to Salesforce.com. This is especially useful while on a smartphone.
  • Interface is very simple and easy to use. On any record where Chatter is supported, just expand the feed, @mention anybody who needs to be included, and write the message.
  • Ability to follow a record even if you're not directly included in a conversation, in order to see any updates. This is especially useful if you need to see when a record is updated and you have automatic updates set to post to Chatter.
  • My only complaints with Chatter have been solved. I used to be annoyed that attaching files required clicking an "attach" button after browsing and selecting. I was also annoyed that there was no rich text formatting (e.g., bolding, underlining, and other features useful in a communication tool) but those have been solved in product updates. I really have no complaints, because the product is simple and does the job well.
Any type of collaboration on a Salesforce.com record should be done on Chatter. Take a scenario where I need to ask a question about some record, say an account. I could email the person I have to ask and copy in the Salesforce.com URL, or I could @ mention them and have that conversation stored for later reference. For most scenarios its the obvious, easy choice. The exception to this is if it's a private conversation, for example about someone's response that was inappropriate. But for items that can and should be discussed within the appropriate groups setup, Chatter should be the only tool used.
December 14, 2017

Chatter Review: "Improved communication for Salesforce users"

So some typical examples are:
  • Communication between team members
  • Capture historical information for future reference
  • Escalate to Management issues or critical importance
  • Definition of rules that allow users to automatically follow and unfollow records.
If you are using Salesforce then Chatter increases the benefits of Salesforce. It leads to improved communication between team members. It is also useful for understanding the background of customers and business for new employees. Users can also get regular updates on Opportunities or Accounts or Cases they are interested in without logging into Salesforce. As an example, if you are heading Sales in California, you can get updates on opportunities in your region in your inbox at the beginning of your day.
Read Naveen Gabrani's full review
December 20, 2017

Review: "Chatter is super helpful and easy to use"

• You can tag people just like you would on social media (with the @ symbol).
  • Documentation!!! I love how this tracks exactly who's responsible for what.
  • It's a great way to show thanks/kudos - both from internal and external folks.
  • I haven't experienced any downsides with Chatter yet!
It's great to use in your CRM database, especially Salesforce. It's built-in functionality and is super easy to get the hang of using. Items posted are automatically linked to the account you're dealing with.
Read Meagan Davenport's full review
December 07, 2017

Chatter Review: "Old lion still does tricks"

• Opportunity communication - tagging people and notifying teams across an org
  • Sharing documents - ability to attach documents in discussions and make them accessible to relevant people
  • Polls - ability to post polls in an opportunity in Salesforce CRM and easily get results
  • Outdated UI
  • More post settings - who can see and who can't
  • Better desktop and mobile experience (again about UI)
It'll work well if there are multiple people or teams working in Salesforce CRM on an opportunity or similar thing. It keeps all the communication in one place and allows documents/URL /polls.
Read Alexander Bekhterev's full review
December 06, 2017

User Review: "We love Chatter!"

• Quick and efficient
  • Ability to notify person of message via email as well
  • Have to log into Salesforce to use it
  • Allow use of hashtags to group chats
  • Sometimes not reliable
Chatter is well suited for companies using Salesforce with more than 30 employees. It allows people to communicate without having to leave your desk. You can continue to work on other tasks while you chatter with someone.

Chatter is not suited for smaller companies. Smaller companies have the ability to communicate more in person with each other.
Read Ryan Tibbetts's full review
December 05, 2017

Chatter Review: "No reason not to get stuck in!"

Chatter is used across the organisation. At the very least, every user here has a basic Chatter license, several with Chatter Plus and approximately 220 with full Salesforce licenses. Naturally, it is there to address the issue of company wide collaboration and communications.
  • Integrated into your line of business tool. It is directly where you are doing your job.
  • It is fun and casual.
  • It has a very low technology barrier to use. Plus the iOS app is really useful.
  • It subtly blends social network with business automation and business function. Everybody knows how to interact with social networks and this translates the business layer into an easy to digest and interactive fashion.
  • Visualforce helps you design more complex custom actions using Chatter, however Visualforce is often a technical level above the basic administrators' capabilities. It needs a declarative GUI to help you make complex actions.
  • A lot of changes that have come with Lightning are now not available to Classic Salesforce users. If you're a new buyer, this isn't an issue. If you are not, you really need to look at going Lightning now.
I personally think it is far superior to email as a communications platform. Spooling up a group to work on a project, fun badges for work achievements, or just keeping people in the loop visibly.

Obviously, Chatter comes with Salesforce, but also in a free form. If you're looking at getting it WITHOUT Salesforce, you should probably shop around with things like Yammer or Teamwork.
Read Simon Whight's full review
December 07, 2017

Chatter Review: "Great product to share news!"

We use it to let everyone know when jobs are sold (who the client is, what type of job it is and sometimes when it will start). We also use it to spread any company news or things that need to be spread to everyone (news of someone's surgery going well for example). We also use it to share funny stories, pictures, new articles, work related articles, blog posts via link, etc. It is something everyone uses on a daily basis.
  • Allows people to comment or like your post
  • Allows you to chat with people one-on-one
  • Allows you to share pictures/links with ease
  • Shows notifications that pop up on your computer so you can stay updated
  • Allow the profile pictures to be clicked on to make them larger
Well suited in a large or small company to share work related and/or fun news articles
December 12, 2017

Chatter Review: "Easy to use communication tool within your company"

Chatter facilitates organization-wide discussions. Everyone within my organization (~40) has an account. It allows staff all over the country to connect and create threads in which multiple people can participate. This is particularly helpful when over 50% of our staff are remote. It also seamlessly connects with Salesforce enterprise to allow us to chat more specifically about Salesforce apps and issues.
  • I like how easy to it is to post onto Chatter.
  • I also like that your organization can have many different chatter groups that you can follow.
  • I can bookmark or mute certain threads.
  • You can also take a poll within a thread as well as upload all kinds of files.
  • I dislike that you can't link multiple photos onto a chatter post. In my experience, if you'd like to include multiple photos, you can post one at the start of the thread and then need to write a comment with a photo in each comment. It's pretty annoying.
  • We have employees at different levels in our company. So we have our national staff and our state coordinators. Our state coordinators have a different type of Salesforce than national employees so they have a different portal (not sure if I'm describing this accurately). But essentially this format does not allow the two groups of users to communicate in the same Chatter groups. (because it has to be in this format from what I understand because of permissions) This is also pretty annoying.
Chatter is well suited when you do not have an urgent request. It acts as a social media-like tool within the workplace. So you can share an interesting article you found or ask a general question to start up a dialogue among colleagues. I wouldn't recommend Chatter for emergencies or very important things because I believe it was designed for casual conversation.
December 07, 2017

Review: "Communicate Across Your Company With Chatter"

In our organization, Chatter is used as a resource for sharing information across the whole organization. Various Chatter groups have been set up to cover a variety of groups, and there are even a few that are "just for fun" such as one for Walking Dead fans or the "Daily Dose of Awesome" group that posts interesting or humorous things on a daily basis. It helps communicate known issues, discuss upcoming changes, share information and connect large groups of people across the country.
  • Chatter is very easy to use, especially if one is already familiar with social media. It works very much in the same way as Facebook as far as how posts are displayed and comments can be added.
  • Groups can be public or private, and ownership can easily be edited as needed. Those added to a group can leave easily if they feel the information does not pertain to them.
  • I enjoy a regular e-mail digest of what I may have missed in Chatter. I also like the e-mail notifications I get when someone tags me by name in a post or comment.
  • When sharing a photo, it gives only a thumbnail, and if there are a series of photos (for instance, to share memories of a recent company-wide event) you have to click on each individual one to view it. It's tedious and could definitely be done better.
  • The Desktop Chatter application went away, and I found it really helpful so that I didn't have to log in to Chatter on Salesforce to check and see if anything new had been posted - it just came up in a feed on a separate little program. I miss that feature.
For storing and sharing files, I do not recommend Chatter; we do have some file sharing going on within Chatter but I feel that Box is more appropriate for that. I do like it for discussing certain topics pertaining to one of our software platforms, or big changes such as implementing ICD-10.
August 23, 2017

Review: "Think before you Chatter - there are much better apps out there."

Chatter is used organization-wide at our location and is the provided chat collaboration platform. It allows us to connect to those across locations and departments in a much faster way, even in real time. It allows groups to form themselves and open their own channels, which we use to reach target audiences. These features are very helpful in our huge, yet spread out system of locations.
  • Connecting users across wide expanses
  • Good repository for files and information
  • Always available, even via mobile apps
  • Horrible user interface, very counterintuitive, super dated and antiquated
  • Hard for new users to figure out how to join groups and share information
  • Slow in relaying private/instant messages many times
Chatter is good for people who have advanced computer knowledge. It's not easy to figure out if you don't understand computing interfaces and old web technology. The user interface has not been updated in what seems like, ever. Salesforce seems to push their efforts into their huge money makers. Can't blame them - but this product has been suffering for a long time. Chatter could be great, but it needs work.
May 16, 2016

Review: "Chatter is a Small, Powerful Player Competing Against Industry Whales"

Our company, Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU), comprises several different businesses. Several of these businesses (e.g. investment management, retirement, group insurance) have outbound and inbound sales teams that record their client interactions in Salesforce. To facilitate sales, they use Chatter to share information, collaborate on documents, ask questions from subject matter experts, and disseminate career development information (all internal). Roughly half the businesses are using Salesforce and Chatter, but the remainder are using third party platforms like Oracle, Jive, and SharePoint. The main challenges that are being tackled with Chatter include siloism, lack of coordination on major initiatives, lack of communication on cross-department and cross-business initiatives, oversaturation of e-mails and phone calls, and latency in gathering feedback and comments.
  • The Chatter UI is very clean and intuitive. First off, top masthead is clearly branded without being too cluttered. The search form is very easy to find and the left menu has clear nomenclature so finding functionality is not difficult.
  • The Chatter types are very clear - Feed, People, Groups, Files, Topics. These content types are almost always present in the most widely used platforms so even users new to Chatter will not find it difficult to use.
  • In Files, the preview functionality is very useful as it helps users decide whether or not this is the document they need. Also, sharing is very easy via the drop-down arrow, but a sharing icon would have been more intuitive.
  • The Groups functionality is outstanding because it allows for different departments (e.g. marketing, sales, support, research) to collaborate on client-facing work. This is the most prevalent use case and an indispensable business requirement in any platform we select for enterprise deployment. The incorporation of polling and forum (questions) is also conducive to conversation.
  • The private messaging functionality is very useful because it allows for conversations to be contained in a community and not reside in a separate space like e-mail. This functionality is missing from platforms like IBM Connections.
  • Groups does not have the private messaging functionality. Since most collaboration takes place in Groups, private messaging would allow for relevant conversations to be contained and not reside separately.
  • On a Group index page, there are two boxes for Information and Description. These content types seem redundant. You could replace both with a content type called About the Group. There could also be another box listing the Owners for quick reference.
  • On the main index page, the newsfeed has the same look and feel of most social platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Jive, IBM Connections, SharePoint. There could be an alternate display of tiles that shows People you interact with most frequently, Files you access most often, most recent Topics, etc. The display could be something like Delve in Microsoft Office 365.
  • On the main index page in the right rail, it would be useful to have the ability to incorporate RSS feeds to gather outside content. Many departments heavily leverage RSS feeds to compile competitive intelligence and cultivate general awareness.
  • For user profiles, can we combine Feed and Overview into one consolidated view? It would save users a click to find relevant information about the person. Also, the Contact module should also have the person's phone number for convenience.
  • The Files feature does not allow for real-time, concurrent document editing. You have to download the document, make your edits, save, and then upload a new version, which only allows for one editor at a time.

Well suited:

• Project team is assigned to complete a deliverable within a finite time period and need dedicated, private space for information sharing, collaborating on files, and asking questions.
  • Documentation team is assigned to work on a presentation deck using the Files functionality.
  • A poll is needed to decide on whether an idea is actionable; if so, the idea is graduated to a project, which is then formalized in a Group.
  • A question is asked to resolve a customer service issue or other client-facing concern.
  • IT helpdesk to provide real-time support and post content to reduce incoming phone calls.

Less appropriate:

• Departmental or enterprise portal for employee communications (the look and feel is too informal and needs to be more "institutional")
Read Joseph C. Chang's full review
May 20, 2016

Review: "Basati uses Chatter daily and we love it!"

All departments are using Chatter. We use it as our form of communication for all client discussions. It is meeting our business needs very well as it allows us to find all communications on an account in one place in Salesforce so we don't have to sift through multiple emails. All features seem to be done well, but I think if we could post multiple photos or screen shots under one post that would be helpful.

• Keeps communications in SF
  • Attaches conversations to account and contact records
  • Allows attachments
  • Ability to attach more than one photo to each post
We have found Chatter to be useful in all instances.
Read Heather Fontaine Wagner's full review
May 20, 2016

Review: "Chatter simplifies group project dynamics!"

Chatter is used as a way to diseminate information on a large scale or a smaller scale closed group setting. We used it to create a closed group who were part of anopen forum grant review process. The initial set up was very easy, and inviting members was also simple. I struggled a little with some of the users who were less computer savvy, and were not used to having to do more on their end with going online.
  • Super easy, access from anywhere.
  • One time upload of info for many to use or view.
  • Simplifies project management.
  • I would need to use it more to be specific, I did not really find any big problems.
I do think it varies based on the expertise of the users. We have some older members who were not used to checking into Chatter for updates or files.
Read Venecia Jacobs's full review
May 06, 2016

User Review: "Honest Chatter Appraisal"

We use Chatter across the bank-wide organization. We use it for collaboration and mass communication.
  • Cuts down on email clutter
  • Best way to collaborate with coworkers across a far flung geography
  • Keeps track of communication
  • Integrates with CRM
  • Integration with Microsoft products like Outlook would be great
  • Allow for external communication with clients securely
Well suited for mass communication situations or for times when I want to connect a conversation directly to a client in SF; less so for quick messages
Read Scott Bramhall's full review
May 17, 2016

Review: "Salesforce. No brainer. Chatter? No thanks."

Chatter was used across the entire organization. Of course, sales folks worked with the Salesforce side of it and Chatter was used by the entire organization for communication, file sharing, department announcements, etc.
  • Easy to use.
  • Thoughtful user experience design. It was like using a social media tool.
  • Think Twitter: announcements would be pushed further and further down to the bottom so everyone missed important updates. NOT a good solution for company wide communication.
  • I hated the chat function. It was totally crappy - it was always just easier to email.
  • Would have been better to have something to be more like a forum for announcements (mandatory meeting @3PM) and a "twitter" type feed solely for vague updates (birthdays, promotions, etc).
HipChat is better for one-on-one quick conversation and Twitter is better for updates. Chatter is really only good for sales people to use in conjunction with Salesforce. It just DIDN'T make sense for our business.
May 24, 2016

Chatter Review: "Good platform for a work environment!"

We used Chatter to update each other on the newest social trends. It was also a great platform for messaging coworkers.
  • Helps you chat with your coworkers in a professional platform.
  • Acts almost as Facebook but for a professional environment.
  • There are so many platforms that everyone is using so it very challenging to get all your coworkers just to use Chatter.
This would be a great tool if your company mandates it.
October 13, 2015

Review: "Chatter carefully - It's headline news or it's white noise"

Chatter is used across our organization and addresses the problem of gaps in communication. It provides the opportunity to communicate between departments and across country wide office locations via a social media-like status feed.
  • Chatter gives instant insight into company news. When deals are made or our company is in the media, Chatter provides a way to highlight important news to everyone in the organization.
  • Chatter allows for open broadcasting similar to Twitter. This encourages positive communication and tagging individuals who are excelling at their job, bringing more energy and excellence to the organization as a whole.
  • Daily emails give you the highlights of the day in case you missed anything.
  • Engagement process. An auto tutorial would be good for beginners.
  • A better filter for status updates from most relevant to least relevant depending on department. Or at least a way to highlight same-department updates, many of the posts are irrelevant to my specific job, but I don't want to miss the ones that are relevant. The status updates can become tiresome to wade through to get to the information you know is essential not to miss.
How often will your employees actually be using it? Would it be better to simply use Skype for Biz or another IM platform? Could the information be disseminated just as easily via email? How big your organization is will determine how quickly this will simply become white noise in a room of constant "chatter".
October 12, 2015

Review: "Improve Team Collaboration & Morale with Chatter"

Chatter was used by our entire organization to increase collaboration and productivity. As an international agency servicing a wide range of clients, we needed a tool that would allow our employees to share best practices, successes or tools that would help each other. Chatter enabled that to happen and the visibility of projects increased dramatically, as well as allowed our workforce to "e-meet" each other and collaborate even though projects and clients would not usually facilitate working together.
  • The search function was very beneficial and enabled me to pull up results quickly for specific types of projects I was looking for.
  • Tagging individuals allowed people to be recognized for good work, bringing success awareness to a whole team rather than simply an individual.
  • Love the ability to follow both individuals and groups to see more in the feed.
  • I struggled getting Chatter to work effectively on my smart phone, so I was only able to read posts and not create posts myself.
  • At times, I felt like the news feed did not adequately follow topics I was interested in. I would not receive updates as expected.
  • I'm not sure that Chatter would be very beneficial in a smaller organization.
I would recommend Chatter to medium and large organizations looking to improve collaboration. I think it is essential for companies with different departments who have difficulty staying up to date on each other's activities. It is also a great tool for managers who are looking to bring higher visibility to the successes of their employees. I am not sure that it would be as effective in a small team environment or at a small company.
October 06, 2015

Chatter Review: "Pretty Good"

We used Chatter as an internal social network to keep each other up to date across departments.
  • Professional social network.
  • It can be a bit clunky and not user intuitive.
  • File sharing could be better integrated with local drives.
How are other companies using Chatter?

Task Management (10)
5.6
Gantt Charts (5)
Scheduling (7)
Workflow Automation (9)
Mobile Access (16)
Search (17)
6.6
Visual planning tools (9)
Chat (16)
Notifications (18)
Discussions (17)
Surveys (11)
Internal knowledgebase (11)
9.5
Integrates with GoToMeeting (4)
Integrates with Gmail and Google Hangouts (4)
Integrates with Outlook (7)
Versioning (8)
Video files (12)
6.7
Audio files (9)
Document collaboration (13)
Access control (13)
Advanced security features (11)
Integrates with Google Drive (4)
9.2