Chatter Reviews

Siddarth Upadhya | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 12, 2020

The best social networking tool for professionals corporations

We are using Salesforce as our CRM so undoubtedly Chatter plays a great role when it comes to sharing any updates, leads, and opportunities within our sales team. I need to keep track of all activities on my team so Chatter does wonders connecting us securely within our groups. The best part is that it can be used on various platforms, so being mobile with the best UI makes it better than others.
  • Keeping track of all activities.
  • Helps sharing files or syncing any data.
  • Its being mobile is best for our sales managers to keep an track while traveling.
  • Showing a score for the level of opportunity helps to prioritize the sales funnel.
  • Didn't find many cons as it's doing its job best.
  • It works best for mid size to large companies only.
  • Some lighter version for small companies with some features and a cheaper cost could be an added advantage for small companies
  • Overall, we didn't find any cons as it's working its best for us.
Being a Sales Team we need to keep track of all the recent activities of our sales reps. It works best by showing all the activities of your team members. Team members can connect with each other no matter what location they are at. They can share any updates, files or data among others. It helps to keep track of any follow-ups or opportunities. And one need not be logged into a system to track everything. Being on a mobile platform is great so one can't miss any action even while traveling.
Read Siddarth Upadhya's full review
Joe Keating | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 29, 2020

Chatter Works for Us

Chatter is used as a centralized source to track opportunity notes and progress within Salesforce. We use it collaboratively across our demand generation, and sales organization to coordinate who will reach out with what and when. It helps our teams stay organized across the different disciplines and make sure we're staying top of mind with the prospect.
  • Collaboration
  • Easy to read
  • File sharing
  • Not robust
  • Only Salesforce users can access
Chatter is best suited for collaboration between colleagues and teams within Salesforce. Account notes and opportunity notes can be quickly shared, and sales executives have visibility into account and opportunity movement. The tool can get difficult to read through once the account or opportunity has had a significant amount of activity.
Read Joe Keating's full review
Alex Brielmann | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 22, 2020

Chatter is obsolete

Before I began using Chatter in this role, the organization as a whole relied far too heavily on Chatter. It was used as a place to store important files, conversations, and information that should be saved in easily searchable areas, preferably files or something outside of Salesforce. Chatter should only be used as a notification system, checking up on tasks, sending the praise, and other non-important matters. We have changed our use habits to more directly match that idea, but some team members still use it far too often.
  • Quick way to check on tasks
  • Public way to commend teammates
  • Not searchable
  • Sometimes dates are grouped into months, rather than showing the exact date (about a month ago).
If I had the chance to speak directly with decision-makers at Salesforce, I would tell them to dissolve Chatter completely. The system is archaic and minimally helpful, and other software in the "chat" industry (Slack) is dominating it. If I had to describe a scenario in which Chatter is useful, it would be that it can be used to set automatic and manual reminders when a task is either due or needs to be completed. That's about the only thing I use it for.
Read Alex Brielmann's full review
Brett Horton | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 22, 2020

A Crucial Component in Managing Work Flow Communication

Chatter is used daily as our primary CRM system to better manage our data, update files and client requests, and keep heavy surveillance on our target goals with daily revenue updates. Chatter is utilized by everyone within my company and is the reason we can put up such consistent revenues each month.
  • Critical Communication Accessibility
  • Effective Notification Settings
  • Lack of built-in Dialer
  • Occasional unneeded task reminders
Daily, we utilize Salesforce to receive application and deal submission updates. For example, we use Salesforce Chatter every morning to communicate between sales representatives and underwriters on where current submissions stand. Without Salesforce Chatter, we would be unable to receive as efficient and quick updates for stressful deals we are continually working. The user-accessibility that Chatter gives each representative in my office is crucial in organizing, qualifying, and best managing our massive amounts of data.
Read Brett Horton's full review
March 04, 2020

For a great way to store answers for Sales Reps, Chatter can help your organization.

We use Chatter for technical questions and capabilities of our software. It is a space where Sales Reps can post questions to understand functionality. This could be asking about ERP integrations, SSO capabilities, etc. The main departments that use Chatter are Sales Reps, Support individuals, and Solutions Consultants. It is a great way to have questions answered and a search so the same questions isn't brought up all the time.
  • Easy to see answers to questions.
  • Does a great job of allowing users to add links or PowerPoints to highlight answers.
  • Able to break down barriers of having reps across the nation.
  • It is not always easy to Search for former Topics.
  • This is more how we use it but Groups should be easier to navigate.
  • Notifications.
If you have many people in the same organization that will have similar questions it is great for providing direction of where to find answers. I don't feel this is the best place if you are wanting instant messages and many comments on one question. This is generally best used to pose a questions and have one or two best practice answers from your org.
April 04, 2020

Chatter: Get social within Salesforce!

Essentially the entire organization uses Chatter because of our use in Salesforce. Chatter is a great way to keep things organized, communicate directly in SFDC, and stay on top of our daily tasks. We have other ways to message each other internally, but sometimes it is nice (when it is Salesforce related) to be able to talk directly in Salesforce, and it leads to faster response time and things getting done within Salesforce at a more effective rate.
  • Chatter connects us internally quickly and efficiently.
  • Chatter helps us to maintain Salesforce hygiene.
  • Chatter helps us to keep track of what we need to get done.
  • Chatter can be difficult to understand. I'm sure there are plenty of features I've never used.
  • Chatter can be difficult to come back to and check, things move around sometimes.
  • Chatter can take more time than other conversation methods.
For those that use Salesforce (a pre-requisite of Chatter), you'll have the need to communicate about Salesforce topics often. Most of the time, Chatter is a great way to do this, as you can tag each other and comment all within Salesforce, rather than having to use external/additional applications. However, if you're a smaller company, or a company that uses other messaging apps frequently, you may find that people check those apps more than Chatter, and it may be easier to talk through those means.
Tyler Lyerly | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 02, 2020

Gladder with Chatter

It is being used by our Sales and Marketing teams to communicate minor announcements and updates. Like a forum for communication within the company.
  • Organized look.
  • Provides details with dates and times of communication.
  • File size limits.
  • Lots of empty space on screen.
It is well suited for product or program announcements and updates. Any kind of informal communication within an organization is good to post on Chatter. Major communication subjects such as price increases or any employment status changes within the company should be communicated somewhere else.
Read Tyler Lyerly's full review
Gideon Carter | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 08, 2019

As a sales-rep, Chatter is a forget-able feature that has little impact on day to day activities

Chatter is used throughout the organization for anyone who deals with customer or sales-facing activities. It allows the user to communicate within the product and specifically allows for opportunity specific conversations between Support teams (finance, deal management, legal, etc...) to share information within an opportunity, as well as discuss existing tickets within Salesforce on the platform.
  • It simplifies modes of communication.
  • Increases the speed of internal services within Salesforce.
  • Allows for easy, traceable communication at the opportunity, contact or account level with support.
  • Hard to recognize Chatter is even running in the background.
  • Clunky and unintuitive.
  • Many of the features seem useless, as a sales rep I wouldn't interact with it if I didn't have to.
Initially, our Chatter integration was fairly poor. It was a useless feature that I barely recognized post-rollout.

We evolved in our usage of the software and it has been fairly beneficial. I'm able to keep internal communications around a specific deal or opportunity on the page in Salesforce. I'm able to refer to it at any time on the specific page without needing to hunt long.
Read Gideon Carter's full review
Mauricio Belmonte Mireles | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 28, 2019

Only a must-have if you already use Salesforce

Chatter is being used mainly by the sales department, other departments such as customer success, sales ops, and legal. Others have access but don't use it as much. In the sales department, we use it to communicate inside the Salesforce platform and it makes easy to refer to contacts, leads, opportunities, and accounts without leaving SFDC.
  • Communicating with team members inside SFDC.
  • Having direct reference to leads, opportunities and/or accounts.
  • Keeps a record of all the related communications.
  • Personalizable view. The look and feel are very old.
  • You need to go to SFDC to reply.
  • Usage of emojis.
Chatter only works with Salesforce so the use is limited to Salesforce users. You can not communicate with external people. It works great for the Salesforce related things, pulling the chatter from the CRM is convenient when referring to prospects or clients and to have the direct link in the same place.
Read Mauricio Belmonte Mireles's full review
Claudia Dominguez | TrustRadius Reviewer

Chatter Review

We use it in our department. With so many communication tools that are subject to change throughout the year, it is nice to have all of our CRM users connected in one place.
  • Notify users of posts.
  • Allow me as an admin to hold polls that help me prioritize what the org needs.
  • Organize different groups/committees throughout the department.
  • As an admin I would like to make it so that all users receive notifications, to help implement it into their daily practice.
  • If Chatter license users could have a bit more access to view reports, that could be utilized more by us.
Chatter is well suited for general communication/announcements such as change management and training tools. It is also very helpful in getting feedback on a product or collaborating where users should see each other's responses. It is less appropriate for private/one-to-one communications.
Read Claudia Dominguez's full review
Mackenzie Bannister | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Chatter: A great feature of Salesforce!

Chatter is used by sales and IT to make note of notable events and calls that occur with existing accounts.
  • Chatter lets me tag coworkers in notes that they would be interested in.
  • It's very customizable.
  • I can't link Chatter notes to multiple accounts.
  • I have to go to a specific tab to see Chatter; I'd love to see it available in the "recent activity" of an account.
Chatter is great for making notes relevant to one account and tagging other coworkers in said note, but it's not great for noting crucial information that should be referred to every time one interacts with an account.
Read Mackenzie Bannister's full review
Mariana Lemus | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 12, 2019

Friendly and easy tool that helps employees connect in one place.

It's a friendly tool, we use Chatter for the whole organization:
- to ask questions
- ask for travel approvals
- ask for budget requests and pending reimbursements
All the company guidelines and questions you can find there.

I feel the whole company can be reached in one place, you can connect with people around the globe, having your same question and post. See the latest activity.
  • Easy to read and post a question.
  • Possibility to attach files.
  • I think it's useful for large companies, as they need to have a tool to control all the requests. Not for small companies.
  • I would like to see in the principal page all the groups I can follow OR the latest addition in my organization, I'm only following the ones that I use in my daily job. Ex: accounts payable, etc.
Positive: Get quick answers, I think it's like a company social media. All in one place.
Not too well: The only way I can log in to Chatter is to log in through Salesforce VPN.
Read Mariana Lemus's full review
Meredith Chandler | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 17, 2019

Chatter at a glance

Sales uses it as a tool to communicate from sales rep to manager and vice versa. For example, if there is something I want my manager to take a look at, they tag me on Chatter. I am instantly notified in my email, and I can go directly to the account. I like that it documents every communication back and forth, so there is a running history. We also use it to move accounts around, i.e, "take this out of my name, move to another rep, new rep this is now in your name," and avoids Slack messages that could get lost in the shuffle. Highly recommend.
  • Time Stamps: clear history of communication.
  • Instant notification: the relative person is aware right away that an account needs attention.
  • Perhaps after adding tags or action items, the rep can check them off so the received knows how important the notification is. I.E, "new account in your name, needs immediate attention, etc."
Please see previous comments. Not appropriate for anything you don't want everyone in the organization to see.
Read Meredith Chandler's full review
Ted Cook | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 24, 2019

Great for interoffice communications and Saleforce CRM intergrations

We use chatter for our internal communications and it's complete integration with the salesforce platform.
  • Since it's made by Sales Force it's integration is seamless
  • Great for intranet communication between departments and teams
  • Allows users to manage there chatter feeds
  • With SalesForce provided better free support options
  • Better API integration with Dynamic
  • Better outlook plugins for tracking emails
Chatter is great for interoffice communications and integration with the CRM platform. It's not great as a front customer facing communication platform.
Read Ted Cook's full review
February 11, 2020

Chatter: A collaborative communication tool

Our operations and sales department have started using Chatter to communicate across departments and to have a centralized place for important communications.
  • Allows several contributors
  • Centralized communication
  • Chatter has been very helpful. I do not have any feedback for how they could work differently.
Chatter is well suited for communication within a department or across departments and to provide a board for discussions and announcements.
October 15, 2019

Great Option for a Communication tool

We have a couple of different departments utilizing Chatter. It keeps us in touch with each other and helps recognize and celebrate wins within departments. It's a great communication tool to stay connected with each other. I think it's a great tool to communicate with each other and stay up to date.
  • Very well organized
  • Easy to utilize
  • Promotes team communication
  • I've experienced a lot issues logging in to Chatter
  • Did not experience a lot support with figuring out log in issues
Chatter is a great tool for select teams to stay in touch with each other. It's also great for smaller companies to be used company-wide. If there are certain departments that need to keep in touch with each other I would recommend Chatter to them, as it's a great option for staying connected.

An Excellent Collaboration Tool

Chatter is used across our whole organization and is an excellent source of communication. My favorite part about using Salesforce chatter in regards to other chat services is the fact that everything is inside the CRM we are already using every day, so you can leave chatter comments on salesforce leads, contacts and opportunities to collaborate with your team.
  • Leaving comments on different objects, records etc.
  • Tagging certain users in your chatter posts.
  • Chatter alerts.
  • More functionality with notifications.
  • Better user interface.
Chatter is well suited for organizations already using Salesforce every day, it is a great way to leave notes and comments on certain objects and records. I would only recommend using Salesforce chatter if your team is actively using Salesforce CRM every day for customers and prospects. Chatter is great for sales, support, and marketing communication.
January 21, 2020

Great way to keep up with updates!

Chatter is used to track changes within the CRM system.
  • Shows what changes have been made.
  • Allows connections with new employees.
  • Constantly updates which can clog up the system.
To stay abreast of changes within the system and organization, Chatter is excellent. I do wish I could collapse the updates as it does increase the space within the system. Overall, Chatter a great system to track updates and increase the visibility of changes within the organization using it.
September 17, 2019

Chatter is a simple, useful tool

We use chatter for initial support tickets, collaboration with our teams asking for advice, to assign tasks to teams, and track initial status. The use of team and key words allows us to track trends and see what still needs work. It is simple enough for end users to use, making it a great first line.
  • Mentioning team
  • Tracking topics
  • Allowing reporting for others
  • Setting permissions can get tricky
  • It could be easier to combine asks
  • More out of the box options
Chatter is a great, easy to use front line for end users to bring up initial requests. The flexibility of the submission form allows for quick changes. Additionally, once the ticket is created, being able to tag specific teams or topics makes it easy for every use to know who needs to work on what.
September 14, 2019

Chatter is simple, but necessary

Chatter is used to communicate about specific artifacts in our Salesforce instance. It improves collaboration and clarity within accounts, and allows us to spend more time in Salesforce versus going to a separate application and getting distracted. This is used across sales and marketing within my company. It's very easy to use.
  • I like being able to @mention my colleagues.
  • It lives in Salesforce, which is great.
  • Flexible enough to communicate some personality through its messaging.
  • Notification rules are hard to find and tweak.
  • It feels a bit antiquated.
  • The instructions for use could be clearer.
If your sales force uses Salesforce, Chatter is a no brainer. It facilitates collaboration and communication all within Salesforce, which is sometimes the hardest thing to get reps to do: be in Salesforce. If there is any form of team selling happening within your company, you'll have to communicate, and Chatter will help.
August 26, 2019

Check out my thoughts on Salesforce Chatter

It is used by the sales and marketing teams to support updates or action items to ensure that everyone is on the same page. The ability to tag people and integrate Chatter or chat into opportunities and prospects makes it easy for the various teams to use it on a daily basis.
  • Communication. If you are deep in the SFDC ecosystem then Chatter becomes a default mechanism to stay in touch.
  • Updates. Salesforce is very good about keeping its users up to date with the latest ways to use their new tools.
  • More real-time aspects. Not sure if this can be changed, but Chatter feels very asynchronous in its style and not dynamic like other chat systems. More like how you get notified of a change to Google Docs vs Hangouts.
  • Feels a bit siloed and can be cluttered with how comments appear.
It works well if you are living within SFDC. However so many people have moved to Slack that it feels like double duty to use Chatter as well.
August 26, 2019

Chatter Review - Does what it needs to, nothing more

Chatter is being used by our Global Sales Team as a vehicle to post about news, sales tips, updates, etc. It is directly connected to our Salesforce so we can have conversations about opportunities, and everything can be tracked, searched, and ultimately lives within Chatter/SFDC

It is great because you can create multiple groups within Chatter. We have groups by department, teams within those functions, strategic groups for knowledge share, etc.
  • Very easy to go back and search. It keeps a history.
  • Ability to comment and tag users on a thread.
  • You have the ability to share articles, attachments, decks, etc that may be relevant
  • Ability to conduct polls within a group or chat
  • Looks very dated.
  • Not user-friendly on mobile.
  • Feels cumbersome.
  • Not as many features or functionality as a tool like Slack
I think Chatter may be suited for very, very large enterprises. Great tool if leadership needs to update a large team about something. When lots of conversations are happening other tools may be more user-friendly.

It's a simplified chat log. Great for basic communication, file sharing, and keeping a searchable history of conversations.
August 22, 2019

Chatter does it's job but is often not used by employees

Currently, we use Chatter as a way to communicate on open opportunities in Salesforce. This is widely used across the sales organization, and our teams have put a high emphasis on using it to communicate on pipeline and opportunities. Chatter is great as our managers are easily able to message us and add context to questions they have when referencing an opportunity in Salesforce. This keeps a log of conversations based on an opportunity rather than losing it in G-chat.
  • Keeps conversations organized and relevant.
  • Allows management a view into conversations around multiple opportunities with multiple reps.
  • Logs everything in Salesforce for reference later down the road, rather than losing the conversation in G-chat.
  • It seems a bit out-dated and is not very user-friendly.
  • It often gets forgotten as G-chat is easier to use.
  • If you are not constantly following, conversations often get forgotten.
Chatter is well suited for companies who live and die in Salesforce and have large teams that upper management would like to get context on their manager/rep's conversations around opportunities as the sale cycle progresses.

Chatter is not well suited for smaller organizations. G-chat and emails would likely get them by because they have fewer opportunities and sales reps to manage.

Chatter Review

We use Chatter to communicate between reps and departments. If a client calls in looking to speak with a certain department that is not mine, I am quickly able to get information to them from using Chatter.
  • Easy collaboration.
  • Easy flow of documents for projects. When working with a client and need to attach documents to send to another team member, the process is easy and fast.
  • Feed comments can sometimes be duplicated.
  • Privileges and getting started.
Chatter makes it very easy to collaborate with certain clients and see the end-to-end communication that sometimes get missed via email.
Glen Tylee | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 30, 2019

Excellent tool for a growing business

We use Chatter to solve a number of problems in our department. One of the main purposes it has is to distribute the correct information to a wider team and have an ongoing conversation around points that are relevant to a specific topic for all to see. This can help reduce e-mail clutter and also provide a reference going forward. This is not only done with news articles relating to the company, but also major regulatory changes, procedural changes and general conversation.
  • Chatter provides us with a live internal conversation for all to see without the noise that other mediums have i.e. e-mail.
  • One of the main features that really works well is the 'Groups' that you can join. We have multiple groups set up to not only distribute procedural changes and communicate news etc, but also have conversations around upcoming tasks in the months ahead.
  • Chatter works really well in instances where we need to look over historical conversations that have been had and the sentiment of those conversations with our shareholders, often using hashtags.
  • Possibly could go with a change of layout, a slight redesign to make it look and feel more user friendly. It's not terrible but for someone who hasn't used Twitter before, they may find it a bit hard to navigate.
  • Possibly to have certain people prioritized within a company's Chatter feed. So if the CEO has posted something, this appears first as a priority post for all to see, and then can be sent further down your feed once read.
  • Could possibly do with a feature to create an incentive for people to contribute more. There's still a lot of conversations that happens outside of Chatter that would be better suited for Chatter. There is an 'Influencer' feature but there is little known about this and has minimal meaning or purpose to most people.
Chatter is very well suited for internal conversations around specific news topics and articles. It may however attract unnecessary conversation as some may treat it like Facebook. Chatter could possibly have a filter or something that reads what someone is about to post and then ask the user if this is a work related conversation.
Read Glen Tylee's full review

Task Management (35)
Gantt Charts (18)
Scheduling (29)
Workflow Automation (31)
Mobile Access (48)
Search (43)
Visual planning tools (32)
6.6
Chat (49)
Notifications (52)
Discussions (50)
Surveys (33)
Internal knowledgebase (35)
Integrates with GoToMeeting (12)
Integrates with Gmail and Google Hangouts (19)
Integrates with Outlook (22)
Versioning (27)
6.6
Video files (32)
Audio files (29)
Document collaboration (40)
Access control (33)
Advanced security features (28)
Integrates with Google Drive (17)
Device sync (26)

About Chatter

Salesforce Chatter is a collaboration platform with integration into the business process and the ability to conduct actions like approving expense reports and creating support cases from the activity feed itself. Other key features include a mobile application and document management functionality.