Powerful development tools are built into the browserWe use Chrome DevTools for front-end development and debugging. Everyone on my team uses it, and I would suspect others in my department use it as well, probably anyone using Chrome as their main browser. The DevTools allow us to inspect our sites and find problems with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.,Inspect front-end code. Find and debug issues. Apply changes in the browser for testing. Test responsive designs at various device resolutions. Test page speed and performance. Test various network situations (e.g. low/no internet connection).,Improved screenshot support. Quicker access to common testing settings (e.g. disabling JavaScript). Improved CSS tools.,10,It's free and powerful. It allows for faster development. It helps catch problems right away.,8,10,A Critical Tool for Modern Web Development and DebuggingAll of the full stack developers use Dev Tools in Chrome for identifying and diagnosing weird problems with the web sites. We use it to identify where resources are loading from, track down configuration issues, and interpret the performance of loading pages. We also use it to interact directly with the JavaScript console.,Being integrated with the browser, DevTools lets me access elements of the loaded page easily and directly. I can see what my page looks like in the browser while I fiddle with various parameters directly in the page through DevTools. DevTools lets me identify all of the artifacts that are loaded by the current page (images, scripts, media, etc.). I can easily determine if some third party package is getting in the way of my own content loading correctly. DevTools gives me direct access to the JavaScript console so I can run JS methods directly. This lets me visibly see how certain interactions can look and feel to the user. The Network tab gives me visibility into what the page is doing "behind the scenes". This is very helpful when working with dynamic content as I can see where and how things are loaded.,While Chrome DevTools has a good REST sniffer, allowing me to see REST requests that my web app is making, it does not provide a general interface for constructing REST requests. I would like to see some functionality similar to Postman integrated with DevTools. While the Security tab allows visibility of the certificate associated with the site itself, it could present more information about the certificate and protocols in use. I would like to see full details of the entire certificate chain. Some items (such as Network conditions, Sensors, etc.) in the More Tools menu could be expanded upon. I would like to be able to connect to some external tools. It would be nice, for example, to be able to easily see traceroute (or mtr) output directly in the interface. I realize that some of these capabilities require elevated privileges, but that could probably be worked around be forking off a terminal instance to run the tool with Sudo or something similar.,10,DevTools has streamlined our debugging process when "weird" things happen on our site. We have encountered at least one instance where a third party module caused our main CRM page to fail to load. We were able to quickly identify the problem request using DevTools and mask the offending site with a firewall rule that got our site back in operation for our internal customers quickly (albeit without the third party functionality) until the third party was able to correct the issue with their integration. This allowed us to get our sales organization back in operation quickly, which had a definite impact on our bottom line.,BrowserStack,Postman, HAProxy, Nginx, Chef, Terraform, AWS Lambda, Amazon AuroraChrome DevTools - better performance than FirebugI used Chrome DevTools pretty regularly to sneak a look at the code of a webpage, either to do web development, or more likely nowadays, because I'm doing some data analysis and need to figure out how to scrape the data off the page and into R. Because it's baked right into Chrome, my regular browser, it's only ever a quick whack of F12 away.,The selection widget is particularly handy--I can quickly and easily see how an element on a page fits in the page's structure Being able to edit CSS rules on the fly is great--that way I can see what's actually going to happen. It's also nice to be able to poke around in the Computed tab and see how an element's box model attributes are currently assigned and what will happen if I adjust, for example, the padding.,I really miss Firebug's box model tools, which worked a bit more intuitively. The Console is handy, but can be hard to work with. I really wish there were a few more tools for outlining block elements and a color picker.,10,Since DevTools is baked into Chrome, it's free--which means the ROI is off the charts. Further, because it is baked in, you don't have to spend forever looking around for another extension And unlike Firebug, your webpages aren't going to render REALLY slowly if you have it open.,,RStudio, Chrome Remote DesktopKing of Web Development and Debugging ToolsOur entire web development team uses Chrome DevTools on a daily basis. It complements similar tools by other major browsers but is the go-to tool of choice for looking under the front-end hood of a website under development. In the hands of a knowledgeable user, DevTools opens the door to a wealth of helpful information, debugging tools, and even skill-building.,Provides clear, easy to understand, and actionable intelligence on how the browser is retrieving, parsing and rendering the page. Covers a wide gamut of front-end development tasks, from manipulating CSS rules to line-by-line debugging of JavaScript to helpful page and server insights. Continuously incorporates new tools and helpful features. With nearly every major Chrome release there is a "What's new" update with at least one or two useful items.,As one delves into DevTools, one encounters a gradually steeper learning curve. You can do a lot very quickly, but to fully utilize DevTools takes time as one explores what it can do. With many new updates, tools and items are moved, and a comfortable workflow becomes a frustrating search. This often happens when following only slightly outdated tutorials on a given feature, even in Google's own documentation. The experimental flags, settings, and options are scattered about and a little clunky to configure when one has to make changes in multiple places.,10,Decreases development time for paid projects. Increases customer satisfaction as we are able to deliver quick fixes to reported issues. Increases quality of paid projects as we are able to better test sites in a variety of circumstances.,,Microsoft Visual Studio Code, Postman, WordPressChrome DevTools - Still the King at Opening the Hood of your Front-EndWeb application testing and troubleshooting are one of the most time-consuming areas of a software engineer's tasks and the availability of reliable and comprehensive tools to facilitate this important job is critical. Chrome DevTools is an important tool in any developer's arsenal and it has been one of my long-time go-tos for this purpose. DevTools can reveal important information to you about errors your code is throwing, the state of your document model (the elements of your web page and how they are laid out) and the factors that are affecting the performance of your application. In my organization, we use Chrome DevTools across our engineering team to troubleshoot and test all of our front-end application code.,Excellent DOM inspection tool that gives you important insights into your styles and element behavior, and allows you to make changes in-line that can show you what impact they will have if applied to your code. Outstanding tools for observing network and application performance, including throttling to simulate varying network speeds. A fantastic device emulator that allows you to view how your pages and application views will appear when viewed on a wide array of mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. Debugging tools that give you the power to insert breakpoints to pause code execution and view the value of your code variables.,It could really use an easier way to separate the kind of errors being logged to the console, such as network, security and CSS errors. This becomes a more acute problem when you consider that Firefox does have this feature. Unlike the Firefox and Edge dev tools, it forces you to click into a line item for network request in order to view the details of that request. Its performance measuring tool could stand to catch up to that of Microsoft Edge, which currently displays visualizations that are a bit easier to review.,10,It has saved us vast amounts of time in debugging by offering a quick and easy way to peer under the hood of our applications in browser. The ability to immediately apply styling changes to your front-end view in-browser and see what changes and how it a massive help and easily reverted by a simple page refresh. It may be relied on exclusively a bit too much by some developers and it is important not to let your engineers get into the mindset that they should only test your front-end in Chrome.,,WordPress, Microsoft Visual Studio Code, Notepad++An ultimate tool for web developer, without it web development is a pain.As our Company has many departments, Chrome DevTools are only being used by the web development teams. We have lot of development teams for different projects we generally use Chrome DevTools for debugging, better analysis of code or when we get stuck somewhere. As per the business problems it let us fix different JavaScript issues and suggests how to optimise the code that is running on the PCs as well as mobile phones.,First is the Debugging capabilities of Chrome DevTool i.e. very impressive you can set the break points where you think error might exist or you can simply go step by step until you encounter the issue. Second the capability of simulating mobile devices with device mode in Chrome DevTools - It is also great feature in which one can see where the network is throttling one can check for responsiveness of the view port on the mobile device. To analyse network performance - Generally it is a great feature to have because it lets us know which file it may be and if it's JS or CSS that is taking time to load or taking more resources then one can focus on them to make it light weight.,As of now I don't have any issue with Chrome DevTool, it is best and improving day by day but if they can they should improve the interface so that switching between different tabs becomes easy.,10,It has all the benefits on can have with a tool and return of investment is also very good in my thoughts, but the exact data in regards to how my organisation invests in it is not available to me.,,Microsoft 365 Business, Microsoft SQL ServerBest tool for Web DevelopmentIt's being used for testing web applications and any work; it's also used to find Chrome only issues. It's used to check how HTML content loads, if all Javascript is being executed, and for finding any media problems, CSS development, etc. All related to web development.,It includes a powerful Javascript console to interact to the website to test JS code, add new code, for modifying existing values or functions, etc. You can control all the JS code in the website from there. It has a great tool to check a site's assets loading, to see any loading errors, missing resources, redirections, etc. Their CSS editor is great to add new rules, update existing rules, etc. I like how you can see all applied changes in the website without refreshing the browser.,I think the layout is too complex, it should be simpler and easy to use for an average developer. I would like more tools for CSS oriented development like Grid Helpers, Flux containers, CSS animations, etc. I would like a better tool for errors, like telling me what to do if I find a JS problem, CSS problem or a wrong redirection.,8,All positive, the tool is free so there's no need to spend money on it. Every return is positive. A lot, their tools increases productivity due because it helps developers to create and test websites inside the browser. Tools are intuitive so there's no need to invest in education on developers to learn these tools.,,NetBeans, LibreOffice, Apache SolrThe Developer Tool for Chrome usersI mainly use Chrome DevTools for making little tweaks to the CSS/HTML of the page and immediately see the result. In other cases, it is also used for debugging and speed tests.,While designing or editing a webpage Chrome DevTools lets you easily make changes to your HTML/CSS and immediately show the result in your Chrome browser. In the console, Chrome DevTools, shows errors inside your page. You can use the console of Chrome DevTools to send Javascript messages, this is a handy tool to try out Javascript functions or to debug. The timeline in Chrome Devtools can be used for optimizing the speed of your website.,There are many functions and this might be hard for starters. User interface could be improved,9,It is a free tool so it is hard to give a negative impact. The positive is that it saves a lot of time, the changes you make are visible in your browser immediately. There is no need to upload your changes to your local or remote server and then refresh your browser. Chrome DevTools is a very good free solution for multiple different use cases.,Firebug and Firefox Developer Tools,Chrome DevTools, Google Search Console, Searchmetrics Suite, Link Research ToolsChrome DevTools, a web developer's best friend.I use Chrome DevTools every day in my current position. It's great for testing my javascript, writing experimental in the console, testing various CSS changes, and occasionally making live edits to local javascript source files. It is being used by the developers in my department who write front-end code. Chrome tools provide us as developers a way to test code and make changes without having to edit the original source code.,DevTools gives you a console for writing javascript code to interact with or change the behavior of the page you are currently working. This is particularly useful when debugging code. CSS edits. The ability to change the style of dom elements and see the effect those changes have in real time without having to switch to your editor, make the changes, and reload the browser window saves a lot of time. Providing a way to set javascript break points so you can see the runtime values of a variable. The network tab is also a life saver for inspecting what assets are being loaded on the page and in what order they load, how long they take to load etc...,It would be nice in the elements panel, if clicking on a node scrolled the screen to that node. On some large pages its easy to get lost in the code and not know where the element you're inspecting resides on the screen. It would be nice if, in addition to the console, there was a panel that behaved more like an editor instead of a command prompt. It may seem trivial but it would be very helpful when writing multi-line functions.,10,One major positive impact that using Chrome DevTools has on business is the ability to test your page on multiple devices, screen sizes, and user agents. You can do a lot of QA testing from chrome and that saves time. Since DevTools is a free product that comes bundled within another free product I don't see any negative impact that derives from its use.,FireBug,Ubuntu Linux, JIRA Software, Redis, Docker, HipChat, AsanaUnspecified
Chrome DevTools
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>TRScore

Chrome DevTools Reviews

Chrome DevTools

Do you work for this company?

Nate Dillon profile photo
  • Inspect front-end code.
  • Find and debug issues.
  • Apply changes in the browser for testing.
  • Test responsive designs at various device resolutions.
  • Test page speed and performance.
  • Test various network situations (e.g. low/no internet connection).
  • Improved screenshot support.
  • Quicker access to common testing settings (e.g. disabling JavaScript).
  • Improved CSS tools.
Chrome DevTools (or something similar) is almost essential for front-end development. It allows for inspection of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and allows you to debug issues right in the browser. DevTools also enable you to apply changes within the browser and see the changes immediately without accessing the actual code. In addition, it works very well at testing service workers, viewing and testing page performance, testing different network speeds, and testing responsive sites at different resolutions.
Read Nate Dillon's full review
Jan Peterson profile photo
  • Being integrated with the browser, DevTools lets me access elements of the loaded page easily and directly. I can see what my page looks like in the browser while I fiddle with various parameters directly in the page through DevTools.
  • DevTools lets me identify all of the artifacts that are loaded by the current page (images, scripts, media, etc.). I can easily determine if some third party package is getting in the way of my own content loading correctly.
  • DevTools gives me direct access to the JavaScript console so I can run JS methods directly. This lets me visibly see how certain interactions can look and feel to the user.
  • The Network tab gives me visibility into what the page is doing "behind the scenes". This is very helpful when working with dynamic content as I can see where and how things are loaded.
  • While Chrome DevTools has a good REST sniffer, allowing me to see REST requests that my web app is making, it does not provide a general interface for constructing REST requests. I would like to see some functionality similar to Postman integrated with DevTools.
  • While the Security tab allows visibility of the certificate associated with the site itself, it could present more information about the certificate and protocols in use. I would like to see full details of the entire certificate chain.
  • Some items (such as Network conditions, Sensors, etc.) in the More Tools menu could be expanded upon.
  • I would like to be able to connect to some external tools. It would be nice, for example, to be able to easily see traceroute (or mtr) output directly in the interface. I realize that some of these capabilities require elevated privileges, but that could probably be worked around be forking off a terminal instance to run the tool with Sudo or something similar.
Given that DevTools is always available, it is well suited to impromptu inspections and investigations. It is less useful for automated testing where running Chrome may be more difficult (in a headless environment, for example). It would be nice to see some type of headless interface to DevTools where it could be accessed via some type of external API.
Read Jan Peterson's full review
Jake Tolbert profile photo
  • The selection widget is particularly handy--I can quickly and easily see how an element on a page fits in the page's structure
  • Being able to edit CSS rules on the fly is great--that way I can see what's actually going to happen.
  • It's also nice to be able to poke around in the Computed tab and see how an element's box model attributes are currently assigned and what will happen if I adjust, for example, the padding.
  • I really miss Firebug's box model tools, which worked a bit more intuitively.
  • The Console is handy, but can be hard to work with.
  • I really wish there were a few more tools for outlining block elements and a color picker.
If Chrome is your main browser (and seriously, what else are you going to use?), and you need to look at the source code of a website for any reason, you should be using DevTools. It's the most efficient way to get the most info, and a great way to dig into the back end of your site, the CSS, the javascript, general performance, etc.
Read Jake Tolbert's full review
Taylor Morgan profile photo
  • Provides clear, easy to understand, and actionable intelligence on how the browser is retrieving, parsing and rendering the page.
  • Covers a wide gamut of front-end development tasks, from manipulating CSS rules to line-by-line debugging of JavaScript to helpful page and server insights.
  • Continuously incorporates new tools and helpful features. With nearly every major Chrome release there is a "What's new" update with at least one or two useful items.
  • As one delves into DevTools, one encounters a gradually steeper learning curve. You can do a lot very quickly, but to fully utilize DevTools takes time as one explores what it can do.
  • With many new updates, tools and items are moved, and a comfortable workflow becomes a frustrating search. This often happens when following only slightly outdated tutorials on a given feature, even in Google's own documentation.
  • The experimental flags, settings, and options are scattered about and a little clunky to configure when one has to make changes in multiple places.
We utilize DevTools heavily while developing the front-end of a website. By default, it provides a helpful hierarchical view of the Document Object Model (DOM) alongside a linked pane of applicable CSS rules. It is by far the easiest way to try out combinations of HTML and CSS while developing an existing site, and even rivals dedicated environments and sandboxes for isolated experimentation (i.e. when not developing a full website). It gives the developer complete control over everything client-side (i.e. HTML, CSS, and JavaScript). Would these CSS rules I'm tinkering with work better if they were nested under another <div>? I'll just modify the DOM, add the rules to it, and find out -- all within DevTools.

DevTools is also irreplaceable helpful for debugging issues -- whether HTML/CSS related, JavaScript, or even in the loading process of a page. You have to know how to use it, but if you do DevTools gives you all of the tools you need.
Read Taylor Morgan's full review
Joel Tanzi profile photo
  • Excellent DOM inspection tool that gives you important insights into your styles and element behavior, and allows you to make changes in-line that can show you what impact they will have if applied to your code.
  • Outstanding tools for observing network and application performance, including throttling to simulate varying network speeds.
  • A fantastic device emulator that allows you to view how your pages and application views will appear when viewed on a wide array of mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones.
  • Debugging tools that give you the power to insert breakpoints to pause code execution and view the value of your code variables.
  • It could really use an easier way to separate the kind of errors being logged to the console, such as network, security and CSS errors. This becomes a more acute problem when you consider that Firefox does have this feature.
  • Unlike the Firefox and Edge dev tools, it forces you to click into a line item for network request in order to view the details of that request.
  • Its performance measuring tool could stand to catch up to that of Microsoft Edge, which currently displays visualizations that are a bit easier to review.
If you are developing, testing or debugging web applications, then it would be hard to make a case against relying heavily on Chrome DevTools to help you along. It has kept pace with the development of other browser tools with similar features (Firefox and Microsoft Edge come to mind) and while it doesn't stand out as especially strong compared with the competition it remains a popular choice among developers and will likely be so for the foreseeable future. While it is a good idea to test across browsers and make use of their development tools as well, it is a strong choice for your default option.

It works best as a tool for developers and designers building pages through direct development of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, or through a CMS such as WordPress or Drupal. It is also useful for theme design for tools such as WordPress or Drupal. It is probably best avoided by those relying on visual drag-and-drop style platforms for web site building, such as Squarespace or Wix, since it is likely to offer more confusion than help.
Read Joel Tanzi's full review
Rahul Kumar Singh profile photo
  • First is the Debugging capabilities of Chrome DevTool i.e. very impressive you can set the break points where you think error might exist or you can simply go step by step until you encounter the issue.
  • Second the capability of simulating mobile devices with device mode in Chrome DevTools - It is also great feature in which one can see where the network is throttling one can check for responsiveness of the view port on the mobile device.
  • To analyse network performance - Generally it is a great feature to have because it lets us know which file it may be and if it's JS or CSS that is taking time to load or taking more resources then one can focus on them to make it light weight.
  • As of now I don't have any issue with Chrome DevTool, it is best and improving day by day but if they can they should improve the interface so that switching between different tabs becomes easy.
Chrome DevTools is well-suited for debugging JS errors, for looking on network performance, simulating mobile devices, and remotely debugging mobile web.
Read Rahul Kumar Singh's full review
Miguel Useche profile photo
  • It includes a powerful Javascript console to interact to the website to test JS code, add new code, for modifying existing values or functions, etc. You can control all the JS code in the website from there.
  • It has a great tool to check a site's assets loading, to see any loading errors, missing resources, redirections, etc.
  • Their CSS editor is great to add new rules, update existing rules, etc. I like how you can see all applied changes in the website without refreshing the browser.
  • I think the layout is too complex, it should be simpler and easy to use for an average developer.
  • I would like more tools for CSS oriented development like Grid Helpers, Flux containers, CSS animations, etc.
  • I would like a better tool for errors, like telling me what to do if I find a JS problem, CSS problem or a wrong redirection.
When you find a JS bug in your web application, you can use Chrome to check its console for details, the JS editor to add new JS code or their CSS editor to add new rules to see if that solves your problem. You can do this without altering files and seeing results in real-time, so you don't have to lose time on saving and refreshing.

Also, you can use other tools to see if additional problems exist.
Read Miguel Useche's full review
Christiaan Bollen profile photo
  • While designing or editing a webpage Chrome DevTools lets you easily make changes to your HTML/CSS and immediately show the result in your Chrome browser.
  • In the console, Chrome DevTools, shows errors inside your page.
  • You can use the console of Chrome DevTools to send Javascript messages, this is a handy tool to try out Javascript functions or to debug.
  • The timeline in Chrome DevTools can be used for optimizing the speed of your website.
  • There are many functions and this might be hard for starters.
  • User interface could be improved
  • It is a great tool for improving your website.
  • The design with making changes in the HTML/CSS but also your javascript code.
  • Making changes and immediately getting the result in the browser without having to upload anything to a web server.
  • If you are looking for some of the used resources in the website you are viewing there is a handy overview in the sources tab.
Read Christiaan Bollen's full review
  • DevTools gives you a console for writing javascript code to interact with or change the behavior of the page you are currently working. This is particularly useful when debugging code.
  • CSS edits. The ability to change the style of dom elements and see the effect those changes have in real time without having to switch to your editor, make the changes, and reload the browser window saves a lot of time.
  • Providing a way to set javascript break points so you can see the runtime values of a variable.
  • The network tab is also a life saver for inspecting what assets are being loaded on the page and in what order they load, how long they take to load etc...
  • It would be nice in the elements panel, if clicking on a node scrolled the screen to that node. On some large pages its easy to get lost in the code and not know where the element you're inspecting resides on the screen.
  • It would be nice if, in addition to the console, there was a panel that behaved more like an editor instead of a command prompt. It may seem trivial but it would be very helpful when writing multi-line functions.
Chrome DevTools are well suited for any front-end project and should be utilized by everyone who does web development. It provides a massive amount of functionality and gives the developer the ability to control the page at a very granular level.

About Chrome DevTools

Chrome DevTools is a set of authoring, debugging, and profiling tools built into Google Chrome.