Chrome Remote Desktop Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Allen Shapiro profile photo
My company works with many remote PCs and also has people working from home. We've recently switched from using TeamViewer to Chrome Remote Desktop with no impact on performance. I also use Chrome Remote Desktop to access 5 other PCs where I have large processing jobs running.
  • Access remote computers
  • Allow users to work on their work computers from anywhere.
  • Allows for the easy transfer of files from the remote desktop.
  • I wish Chrome Remote Desktop allowed for the use of combination keys such as alt-tab.
Chrome Remote Desktop is great for accessing remote computers and allows you to work off of your Office PC wherever you are. I run jobs on multiple PCs and use remote desktop to access all of them. I have 3 additional PCs in my office and use Remote Desktop to access them as it removes the need for additional monitors and keyboards.
Read Allen Shapiro's full review
Maurice Samuels profile photo
Chrome Remote Desktop is used to control and monitor Windows servers that initial long-running database-related jobs that require a stable, long-time connection. It is also used for copying large files that take more than 24 hours. It's only used within the database area and enterprise-wide distribution is under review.
  • The stability is excellent.
  • The speed is excellent.
  • It has very little performance overhead.
  • Security. there have been a large number of patches and applying patches in production environments requires significant planning and potential downtime.
  • Move to a quarterly patching cycle so that patching isn't so often.
  • Better auditing and transparency.
Running a large database replication job from a central location, where multiple parties can monitor progress, is very well handled by Chrome Remote Desktop.
Moving data from public to private networks and vice versa is not well handled and is too risky for adoption at this time.
Chrome Remote Desktop's transportability is well done also since it works cross-platform.
Read Maurice Samuels's full review
It is not technically being utilized across the whole organization, but more so on a departmental level. It is one of the tools available for our technicians to use while they provide remote assistance with our users. As we have been using a commercial remote desktop solution for quite some time, there were some problems with the software, where we needed to look for alternative software solutions. One of these was Chrome Remote Desktop, which we have used with supporting users from time to time, and has worked really well. The biggest benefits to the business are there is no cost, it is available to everyone, and it is really easy/intuitive to use, both from a technician and user perspective. It also doesn't have some of the issues/problems we have seen with some other "commercial" remote desktop solutions.
  • It really is easy/intuitive to use. There really is no formal training that is required to learn how to use Chrome Remote Desktop, nor is there a need to look at complex documentation to use it, or get it to work
  • It really integrates well with the browser, namely Chrome. It is also compatible across most devices, including mobile devices such as iPhones and Android. It doesn't necessarily have to be used from a PC/Computer, and can really be used most anywhere
  • It really offers most of the basic functions that most anyone would want, such as resizing the display session, keyboard controls, file transfer, etc. It is also secure, as you can set a PIN for accessing the remote computer
  • One are of improvement could be to offer the user the ability to change the time interval of the automatic session/computer lock out. I did not find a way to manipulate/change this. With another remote solution I have used, the default time interval was set to never lock the open session.
  • There also doesn't seem to be an easy way to copy/paste information from your local clipboard to the remote computer. Some other remote desktop solutions have this enabled by default.
  • One feature that would be nice to have would be to have the ability to "blackout" the screen on the remote computer, whenever you have control of the remote computer. This would help by letting the person on the other end to know that the computer is currently being used by the remote user, and to not interfere with the session.
It is well suited in cases where your company/organization is looking for a low/no cost remote desktop solution, or is looking for something that can be used by most anyone right away. Most organizations don't want things to be too complex, especially with a remote desktop solution, which is generally not very complex software to begin with. It would be less appropriate in cases where the company/organization has already purchased licensing for a commercial product, and/or has been heavily using a commercial product for some time.
Ravinder Gupta profile photo
I have been using Chrome Remote Desktop personally to control my personal computer from the comfort of my phone. We are also using Chrome Remote Desktop at work to coordinate work with colleagues and seek technical assistance remotely. It's easy to install and easier to use. You can use it in two ways: Remote Assistance for user to user screen sharing and "My Computers" to seamlessly connect to your devices from anywhere in the world. That's why I love Chrome Remote Desktop so much.
  • It's very easy to connect to your computers. All you have to do is make sure you are logged in with your Google account on all of your devices.
  • It has good remote control options like print screen or power-off remotely.
  • I haven't faced any lag while remotely connecting to devices at work.
  • I have not really faced any issues using Chrome Remote Desktop. I can't wake my sleeping computer from my phone, which I kind of understand but would have been a good feature to have.
Chrome Remote Desktop is very good for seeking remote assistance among colleagues. Make sure you don't leave your device unattended while sharing access. You can also use it to control your devices from one another. I love to be able to control my computer from the comfort of my phone.
Read Ravinder Gupta's full review
Brock Bruce profile photo
We use Chrome Remote Desktop to access computers out in the field or back at the office when out in the field for troubleshooting and technical support. We have also been know to use it to demonstrate or present to clients.
  • Installing software for non-techies out in the field.
  • Remote access of files on the host.
  • Demonstrations for remote users.
  • Sometimes crashes.
  • Has limited ability at times.
  • Must have Chrome to work.
It works really well a Mac environment and helps us with people not that familiar with computers needing work done on their desktops at a different location.
Read Brock Bruce's full review
Jesus Mata profile photo
This is being used by the IT department to aid in remote desktop support and to check in on the occasional computer that has monitors for us. It really helps us when we need to assist someone that is at a remote site and we only need to hop on real quick to get a quick peek at their issue and resolve it as soon as possible.
  • Quick install
  • Fast connection after install
  • It can be used on many computers
  • Helpful for remote connections
  • If you are not an admin user, it freezes up and does not allow you to see anything
  • Sometimes it does randomly crash, and I don't know why
Remote connections are the best time to use this software
Read Jesus Mata's full review
Ho'omana Nathan Horton profile photo
We use Chrome Remote Desktop to access data and analysis servers from offsite. We've also used it in the Linguistics Lab to remotely access a computer with SuperLab from outside the experimentation booth where we have respondents.
  • Unlike Microsoft's Remote Desktop, this program is the same across platforms, which is helpful for users.
  • This program also allows direct control over the desktop (like TeamViewer) and doesn't give you a simulated log on (like Remote Desktop). This is advantageous for seeing exactly what's on the screen but can make it a little laggy.
  • The interface is very nice and clear once it's set up. It's obvious which computer is which and it's just a couple of clicks from opening the program to a connection.
  • The mobile app is also really really well done.
  • This program is NOT easy for end-users to set up on their own.
  • The PIN requirement is secure (which is nice), but it'd be nice to have the option to have an alphanumeric password or something.
Chrome Remote Desktop is great for accessing machines remotely which cannot be accessed via Microsoft's Remote Desktop. It's especially nice for accessing machines of varying operating systems from a machine of a single operating system. For example, if I'm on my Windows laptop, I can always use Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to local machines (or machines via a VPN), but I can't do the same with Macs. I can do both from Chrome Remote Desktop though, and this program is very lightweight, which is nice.
Read Ho'omana Nathan Horton's full review
Chrome Remote Desktop is one of the solutions we offer for connecting to workstations from our new chomebooks. If it ends up working out, we could potentially replace a large portion of our laptop fleet with cheaper chromebooks. We've found a large number of users only use thier laptops to remote into their desktops.
  • Setup is simple. Install the app, log in, choose a pin. You're good to go.
  • Performance is fast. I can even stream games fairly well.
  • The connections have been pretty stable. No serious issues.
  • The session can be seen on the screen of the workstation. Could be a privacy issue. It DOESN'T work like traditional RDP, much closer to a screen sharing support session.
  • There is no built in File Transfer. Its not a deal breaker, but definitely an annoyance.
Really the largest thing is that it shows exactly what you're doing on the screen of the workstation. Great for remote sessions to help someone, terrible for remoting into your own computer to get work done.
Dustin Blad profile photo
I use Chrome Desktop to access my computers at home from work.
  • Easy Setup
  • Connected to your Google account
  • Provide remote support to others
  • Encrypted Sessions
  • Mac Supported
  • Relies on Google Account
  • Management of several computers can be kludgy
  • If software becomes out of date, confusing how to update.
  1. Ok for small companies they may use one Google account to share.
  2. Perfect for personal use to connect from work to home to be able to access documents or programs.
  3. I like being able to use my Google account for security. Fewer passwords I have to remember, and combination with duo auth.
  4. Lightweight and secure.
Read Dustin Blad's full review
Shawn Bennett profile photo
I use Chrome Remote Desktop while I am mobile and may not have my laptop with me for remote access.
  • Chrome Remote Desktop works very well on mobile Android devices. It's smooth & easy to manage a multiple desktop workstation.
  • The application takes advantage of the local Android keyboard & voice to text really well.
  • Mouse input and window scrolling is on point even with 3 monitors on my workstation to my 1 mobile screen.
  • I wrote this last comment here using the Chrome Remote Desktop app on my Galaxy S7 edge.
  • I use multiple monitors on my workstation, a mouse speed setting would be nice to have.
  • Currently unable to use trail text input.
  • Lacking auto detection of text input boxes, have to click on an input field, then choose keyborad.
  • Spell check & predicted words do not work.
I believe the application is especially well suited when used from a mobile device such as phone or tablet where a laptop may not be available.
Read Shawn Bennett's full review
Chrome Remote Desktop is used within our organization to obtain 'line-of-site' when it comes to supporting our hardware in the field remotely. As our organization utilizes the power of Google for Work - Google App Suites all of our devices are enrolled and managed via google MDM, this is only half the battle when it comes to supporting and accessing your hardware in the field. With the Chrome Remote Desktop app my team and I can easily access a device as long as it's connected to the internet even in a locked-down kiosk state. The business problem this solves is quite obvious, no more on-site technicians to troubleshoot a software or configuration issue as we can do it remotely with Chrome Remote Desktop!

• Remotely accessing devices in the field, even when on a client network or cellular network
  • Ease of use - the software is simple and even the least tech-savvy associate can use the tool
  • Seamless connection - the connection is stable, smooth and allows for seamless control of the remote device
  • Easy to install - installed via policies through google admin
  • Lightweight - If you're looking for a robust tool this may not be it, this allows for straight-forward connecting to the remote device.
  • No saved preferences - you'll have to use a different code to connect to each device
  • Firewall rules required - Chrome Remote Desktop requires pin-holes in your firewall to open certain ports if you're using in a locked down network.
Chrome Remote Desktop is a great tool to use when needing to quickly connect to a remote device for troubleshooting or visibility into a problem occurring on the remote device. The tool allows you to connect immediately with only an internet connection and directly to your device. For Multiple device deployments this is a perfect tool that provides line-of-site into all your devices and allows you to ensure their in working order.

For scenarios that you'd like to transfer and pass back and fourth control, Chrome Remote Desktop wouldn't be the tool to use - there are other robust remote support tools that can do this, but at a higher cost for licensing.
I am using Chrome Remote Desktop to access my computer's desktop from my phone when needed. Only used in a single department, single person.
  • Desktop access from mobile devices
  • Desktop access from other computers
  • Don't have to be on the same network to access. You can use any internet connected device that supports the Chrome Remote Desktop app.
  • Built in file transfer would be nice.
  • Has sporadic issues with Admin pop-up permissions dialogue boxes
When you are away from your computer and you need full access to your desktop. Especially useful for when there is an app that is only supported on Desktop and not a mobile version.

Screen sharing (12)
File transfer (6)
Instant message (3)
Secure remote access with Smart Card authentication (2)
Access to sleeping/powered-off computers (6)
Over-the-Internet remote session (12)
Initiate remote control from mobile (11)
Remote management of servers & workstations (11)
Remote Active Directory® management (3)
Centralized management dashboard (6)
Session record (4)
6.5
Annotations (3)
Monitoring and Alerts (3)
Multi-platform remote control (9)

About Chrome Remote Desktop

Chrome Remote Desktop from Google is a cross-platform remote administration and remote desktop tool that requires the Chrome browser and an extension.