Skip to main content
Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers

What is Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers?

The Cisco Catalyst 9800-80 is a modular wireless controller with optional 100 Gigabit Ethernet (G) modular uplinks boasting seamless software updates for large enterprises and campuses, and security with ETA and SD-Access.

Happy Camper

June 07, 2024
Incentivized
I use Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers at various locations to provide WiFi for back-of-house, IoT, Guest access, etc.

1 video

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers Review
04:42

What is Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers?

The vendor presents their solution as built from the ground up for intent-based networking and Cisco DNA, and state the Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers are Cisco IOS XE based and integrate the RF excellence of Cisco Aironet access points, creating a best-in-class wireless experience for your evolving and growing organization. The 9800 Series is built on an open and programmable architecture with built-in security, streaming telemetry, and rich analytics.

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers Competitors

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers Technical Details

Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers Downloadables

Ubiquiti WLAN and Fortinet Wireless LAN are common alternatives for Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers.

Reviewers rate Availability highest, with a score of 7.9.

The most common users of Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controllers are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees).

Attribute Ratings

Incentivized
  • I actually really like, I know this is weird, A lot of people hate it but not hate it, but network engineers don't they like CLI stuff, but I like more of the user interface for it. It's definitely way better than the past one that I had. The 5520 and it is got a lot of neat features. Show me what networks are being utilized, how much bandwidth's going through them, users and things like that. What computers connect to, what access point, things like that. That's pretty cool. That gives me enough detail. It helps me troubleshoot things very easily on a daily basis.
  • Maybe some of the stuff that is on the device itself for me is a network engineer and I'm CCNA certified and I like to delve into different things. But I would say certain things that if I want to implement, there's a lot of different options that I'm kind of like I'll be going through the menu on the user interface especially and be like, I don't really know what that does. I can go research it a little bit or maybe I've heard about it but I don't really know how to implement it. Maybe provide some type of guides. I know they have some guides online for it, but maybe some walkthroughs, some video walkthroughs maybe on how to, maybe this piece can be implemented, what it's for, things like that. Or have tutorials on the device itself to show you, hey, this is what we use this for, do you need this? Or things like that.
Incentivized
  • One thing that I think the product does well is the structure and flow of tagging and configuring devices. That's probably my favorite feature with it. It's very straightforward and you can easily manage all your devices at once.
  • Room for improvement. We tend to update our firmware as soon as possible. We have hit a lot of various bugs and things that were caught in testing, but we're still pushed out live.
  • The sorting and searching of access points in the software could use some work essentially, especially cap sensitive things and things like that can be a little irritating to use.
  • New way of doing the configuration - tag based
  • Neat interaction with Cisco Catalyst Center
  • Multiple ways to interact with and monitor the controller
  • Rich telemetry options
  • Menu structure could be improved
  • Limited troubleshooting possibilities without Cisco Catalyst Center
  • AP image download speed is not consistent
June 07, 2024

Happy Camper

• Easy setup
  • Great interface and built-in tools
  • Great integration with other networking elements
  • HA setup can be a little daunting
June 29, 2023

Great WLC

Incentivized
  • Easily manages a large number of APs.
  • It can push out settings or a new OS to a large group of APs at once.
  • The GUI is very intuitive, and follows the model Cisco has created for many of their products.
  • It integrates well with our ISE environment for handling RADIUS requests.
  • Depending on the version of IOS, it can be buggy. I have had several TAC calls that resulted in applying either a work-around, or upgrading the IOS.
  • The error logs are a bit difficult to use. Errors and typical user associate/disassociate logs are all lumped together, so sometimes finding what you are looking for is like finding a needle in a haystack.
  • One feature I miss from Prime Infrastructure is the ability to mass-configure settings on a large group of APs. Some of this exists within this controller, but many options, like templates, were lost, and never added to DNAC.
  • WAP Image Management
  • Troubleshooting and Alerting
  • Ease of provisioning new AP's
  • The search bar in the top right, where you can search for an AP for example. I wish it would give the option to bring up the config version of the page instead of only the management. It's a pain to navigage to the config side of things, and manually search for the AP
  • Also related to my above note, when using the menu for search it's not super intuitive
June 09, 2023

Wireless Guru

Incentivized
  • Enhanced deployment and mitigating new AP join and does not automatically advertise first 16 SSID unlike AIROS
  • More client performance status and assurance to detail user performance and pinpoint
  • Easy patching
  • when you filter APs or client it clears the filter, wish it stays till you clear it by you.
  • sometimes GUI and CLI do not sync real time that may need improvement