Cisco Ethernet Switches Reviews

Patrick Plaisance profile photo
We use Cisco Small Business (SG) switches at almost all of our client sites. They provide all of the features that we need at an attractive price point, plus have the advantage of Cisco's support, both in official and community-based forms. They provide basic network connectivity, the functionality to segregate networks for different tasks (VLANs), and power to IP phones and other network devices (Power over Ethernet).
  • Easy setup and configuration. While the web UI has its quirks, setting up VLANs and other tasks which can be exceedingly complicated on other switches, are much easier on Cisco SG switches. You also have the ability to upload an existing configuration to switches, which can speed up the task of deploying many identical switches.
  • Features for the price. Getting a 48 port L3 switch with PoE+ for less than $2,000 is a great value.
  • Reliability. We have hundreds of the SG switches in dozens of client sites, many in harsh conditions, and they just keep going.
  • The web UI has taken a turn for the worse with the latest firmware on the SGx50 models -- the bifurcation between basic and advanced modes and the changes to the way VLANs are modified is a step backward in my opinion.
  • The power bricks on smaller models are enormous. I'm sure, however, keeping this circuitry external to the switch is what keeps my switches running year after year in hot environments.
  • Fans can be a bit loud on larger switches -- this is true of pretty much any 1U device though.
In my field, I honestly can't think of a scenario I wouldn't want to use an SG switch. Even if someone needed a simple desktop switch, I would advise they purchase a $150 8 port SG350 over spending $50 on a SOHO Netgear or similar switch. The flexibility of functionality offered by these switches in unmatched.
Read Patrick Plaisance's full review
Jyrki Halonen profile photo
Cisco ethernet switches are used in many environments in our data centre and also in our office networks. We have been using Cisco Catalyst and Nexus devices for many years and they are enablers for all data communication in our company and provide us the possibility to focus on our core business.
  • Operating Cisco devices are easy since Cisco IOS is well known by specialists
  • They scale well to many environments
  • Reliability
  • Price
  • Too many software versions available
Cisco switches will fit into multiple locations in a data centre as well in campus area for small to large organizations. In very tiny installations other options might be more cost-effective.
Read Jyrki Halonen's full review
Paolo Della Mea profile photo
January 30, 2019

Cisco switches

I use Cisco switches for every single port in my environment; they are powerful, stable, and always have predictable behaviour.
  • Extremely powerful
  • Predictable behavior
  • Easy to scale
  • Price
  • Flexibily
  • Easy to set up additional services
[They are] perfect for heavy work and even where a signal bit is important; may be too expensive for small offices.
Read Paolo Della Mea's full review
Since Cisco entered the industrial ruggedized market for their switching products I have had used 1000s of the IE3000, 4000, 5000s and they are great products. They brought the Cisco IOS and those advanced features into a world where we see temperatures of up to 50 degrees Celsius (ambient).
  • Uniform management
  • Standard code across the platform
  • Ability for software-defined networking
  • Move to SD card configuration storage across the board
Cisco Ethernet Switches are well suited for industrial applications.
Michael Timms profile photo
Cisco Ethernet Switches are the industry standard for enterprise level networks. I have installed and helped configure the 6500 series all the way through to the 3850's which seem to be the most widely used now. I was totally against changing from the "blade" type switches to the stackable switches like the 3750 and 3850, but now I wouldn't change back even if it were possible.
  • Layer 3 routing and switching
  • Trunking
  • Scalability
  • Cisco Switches are extremely expensive (however the service that you get it outstanding)
  • Installing a third party license is a nightmare
  • At times, support ends with no warning.
I would recommend Cisco Ethernet Switches for any established company, or education system of just about any size,. Basically the only place that I would not recommend Cisco Switches would be a startup that is on a limited budget, because they could get out much cheaper going with another cheaper brand.
Read Michael Timms's full review
Brian Taylor profile photo
Cisco networking gear is the gold standard in the industry. We had a number of Cisco switches in production when I took over responsibility for managing them. They are by far the most reliable network hardware I’ve ever used. Coming from smaller shops where budgets don’t always optimize IT equipment, the cheaper hardware just doesn’t compare to Cisco switches.
  • Reliability. We can have the switches running for ages, only needing to take them down for upgrades and routine maintenance.
  • Speed. Haven’t experienced much of any lag due to hardware interference.
  • Security. Takes a little to configure correctly, but they can be locked down tighter than other switches at their price point.
  • Compatibility. Cisco really likes to talk to Cisco. We’ve had bad experiences mixing Cisco and HP, Dell, etc.
For mid to large organizations where you have multiple layers of switches and routing, Cisco is a perfect fit. If you have a smaller shop, with less than 100 nodes, Dell, HP, Juniper, other cheaper solutions may be a better fit.
Read Brian Taylor's full review
January 19, 2018

Cisco Switch Experience

We standardized on Cisco in order to achève the best available uptime and lost support overhead. Cost is high, and you need to ensure that you have sufficient technical knowledge within the team to support them, but their performance and reliability have been very good. We were lucky to have a very good Cisco account manager who supported us well with our existing equipment and future purchasing plans.
  • Quality of software is very high. Ability to configure is very high. Scaleability is very high.
  • Ability to tap into a vast network of knowledge outside of your organization is excellent.
  • Availability of training courses for this equipment is also very good.
  • Longer guarantee period and replacement program.
  • Better support of small businesses.
  • Ensuring the feature upgrades do not cost the earth!
I highly recommend Cisco Ethernet Switches for medium and large enterprises - Not recommended for smaller organizations unless you have good in-house skills or completely outsource to a Cisco accredited partner. Budget accordingly and ensure that you get pricing support direct from Cisco. If you are not large enough to do this then reconsider your choice of vendors.

Cisco Ethernet Switches Scorecard Summary

About Cisco Ethernet Switches

Cisco offers Ethernet switches.