Skip to main content
Cisco Umbrella

Cisco Umbrella

What is Cisco Umbrella?

Cisco now offers OpenDNS Umbrella Web Filtering. Cisco acquired OpenDNS in August 2015, and rebranded the product as Cisco Umbrella.

2 videos

Convenient and Secure | A Cisco Umbrella Review
02:10
13:09

What is Cisco Umbrella?

Cisco Umbrella, a key component of Cisco's secure access service edge (SASE) architecture, integrates multiple security services in a single, centrally managed, cloud-native solution to secure access to the internet and control cloud app usage. By unifying secure web gateway, firewall, DNS-layer security, threat intelligence, and cloud access security broker (CASB) solutions, Cisco Umbrella helps reduce the resources required for deployment, configuration, and integration. And, by delivering this functionality from the cloud, you can scale to meet the needs of a remote and roaming workforce, shifting network perimeter, and multi-cloud environment — all while simplifying security. Umbrella can be easily integrated with an SD-WAN implementation to provide a combination of performance, security, and flexibility to delight both end users and a security team.

Cisco Umbrella Features

• Supported: DNS-layer security
  • Supported: Secure web gateway (full proxy)
  • Supported: Cloud access security broker (CASB) functionality

Cisco Umbrella Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Chromebooks
Supported Countries190 Countries

Cloudflare, Akamai, and Zscaler Internet Access are common alternatives for Cisco Umbrella.

Reviewers rate Availability highest, with a score of 9.5.

The most common users of Cisco Umbrella are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees).

Attribute Ratings

February 20, 2024

Incentivized
  • I just did, which is the multi-organizational component that allows me to have a federal model where I can dictate very high-level policies. And that is also true in case of an incident or a new malware or a new IP address that is coming out. Or a great example is in 2022 the all-Ukraine deal was growing up in Europe and from a top level we made a decision we were going to block all Russian domains and Ukrainian as well while we were at it and we just pushed it to all the companies in two seconds after then changing control of course. And that was quite valuable. That gives us a lot of freedom and ability. The fact that the product also allows me to have the segmentation permits me to follow the virus regulations in the countries. So for example, in Germany, there are a lot of stricter rules on what you can and not do in monitoring an employee from a work council and union perspective, and therefore we have a special setup for them specifically and also where the logs are stored in the region. My American team has the same thing, but in that case, the storage of those logs is stored in the US and that gives us great flexibility for sure. Then okay, there is some businesses that are also using it to police employees, meaning I don't want 'em see 'em job search websites or I don't want them to be looking at travel planning their vacation during business hours or I don't want my blue-collar workers to do anything other those 10 applications on the internet, on the web. So we are able to do that. It's not the part that is more fun because of a lot of HR involvement, but we use it also that way.
  • There's always room for improvement in all products for sure. On the umbrella part, I would say that the room for improvement is on the data loss prevention part. So it sits on the PCs, it sees a lot of the traffic that goes on, it knows what files are on the PCs, but it's actually not stopping some of the intellectual property or personal identifiable information from going out. So we are able to block users from accessing applications and websites or even IP addresses, but we're not able to go a bit more granular, more on the data loss side. So that's a gap that I have in the product.
  • DNS service
  • Protection against phising,ransomeware etc
  • Visibility across full infrastructure
  • secure web gateway
  • Application control risk assessment
  • On premise agents could be lighter
  • Ability to quickly onboard additional users
  • Content filtering functions
  • DNS protection
  • Centralized content filtering
  • Centralized policies with possibility to block withing couple of clicks
  • Number of datacenters is very low compared to competitors
  • Cloud head ends are limited to 250 or 500mbps throughput
  • Multiorg console has just very few items to be configured
February 09, 2024

Incentivized
  • To protect our users on-Prem and at home.
  • We use Umbrella basic at the moment and there would be room for improvement, especially for recognizing and managing cloud applications.
  • Protect against Malicious Domains
  • Protect against Newly Seen Domains
  • Decrypt traffic
  • No Cisco-Managed Destination Lists of "Big players" like Microsoft, SalesForce, Amazon
Incentivized
  • Protect against various types of malware
  • Allow custom policy creation
  • Allows endpoint centralized management
  • Shows graphs with usage statistics
  • More intuitive administrator interface
  • AD integration is a bit complicated
  • Better pricing
Dan Reynolds | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
  • Filters content at the DNS level. Makes it a little harder for the sneaky ones to make it through.
  • Since this is at the DNS level, using their DNS servers (as a forwarder to your local DNS) it is extremely fast. Transparent.
  • Always being updated. Not dependent on "definitions" or algorithms - a site is either blacklisted or whitelisted.
  • Easy to implement, apply, maintain
  • Reporting is a bit convoluted. I'd like it to be easier to sort out.
December 07, 2023

It works!

• DNS security
  • Web content filtering
  • Most of my concerns will be addressed with Secure Access
Randy Zuehlke | TrustRadius Reviewer
Incentivized
  • Keeps users away from identified spam or malicious sites.
  • Easily configured to add blocked sites of your own.
  • Great reporting features.
  • Timely and valuable response support from Help Desk.
  • Keeping up to date on known malicious sites and blocking those is difficult for all vendors, but this could always be improved upon.
  • A more detailed descriptions of what is included the Security Categories would be useful. Generic descriptions are provided. For example, state lottery sites could be detailed in the description of the Gambling category.
November 03, 2023

Incentivized
  • The benefit of this is that we can have a secure internet connection for users and without any appliance boxes.
  • It doesn't work well in China, so we have a big footprint there.
November 03, 2023

Incentivized
  • Log. So I can see lots of traffic in one spot. Security texts us from malicious web destinations on the internet.
  • It's easy to use.
  • I can't really think of any right now. I mean there are probably some, but from my use case, I think it would be good if it could do dynamic inspection of web destinations rather than static analysis.
Incentivized
  • Protect end points outside the network
  • Protect internal network assets
  • Category filter
  • Replace our existing proxy solution however there is not hope in my country