Call Manager is a unified call control center from Cisco that supports enterprise collaboration functions across the spectrum of IP telephony, video & web conferencing, and messaging. Features include call forwarding, call back, call transfer, ad hoc conferencing, and call park.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/vW/pS/GUXTSLSNT4EO.pngCisco Call Manager, a robust phone systemWe use Cisco Unified Communications Manager for our Phone system. We have an on-premise phone system. We have 2 nodes. A Pub and a Sub so if a link goes out our off-site Sub takes over and our phone system still works. We also use Cisco Unity for our voice mail.,Cisco Jabber is a great application that can be used with the Cisco phone system. You can do audio or audio and video. It also allows for chat. Hunt groups. You can have multiple people in the same group to ring multiple phones at once. Using Cisco Unity with Call Manager you can create Auto Attendants and call menus.,Coming in brand new to using Call Manager it takes a bit to get to know it. Definitely get with someone who has experience and can learn how to manage it. I started 1.5 years ago with Call Manager and I'm decent now but I still have access to a tech for the complicated stuff. Document how to do everything and it will be easy to repeat! It's very easy to make a mistake in setting up an extension. It's hard to think of another Con. The biggest thing is learning how to do it. You don't need a certification to learn but it is best to learn from someone who has the knowledge and document as you go. The best way is to have them walk you through all the fixes and you learn as you fix things.,9,Positive impact - The phone system works. Negative impact - When it goes down you don't have phones. However, it may not be the phone system but the router that gives you issues so you have to troubleshoot both. Positive impact - Except for adding and removing users, you don't have to touch it often.,,Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance, Barracuda Email Security Service, VIPRE, Microsoft SQL Server, Citrix NetScaler, Swiftpage ACT!, Microsoft ExchangeCisco UCMCisco UCM is our main phone system, we have integration with AD and have just started using/testing Jabber with mobile phones for our IT department. It has been working great allowing me to answer my desk phone from anywhere. Management of users is simple and efficient.,Easy of use Robust More features than you could ask for,Cost Tech support can be a bear Initial setup can be difficult,9,Out of the box there is some cost, but once up and running it takes care of its self,Windows Server, VMware ESXiCisco Call ManagerWe are using Call Manager as our main VOIP system across our whole organization. We have a fault tolerant phone system that is more stable and versatile than previous system.,Versatile Easy setup and configuration of new and existing phones Easily expandable,Updates for new phones are not easy to implement. Expanding hardware is expensive. Adding licenses is very confusing because of the license tier system they have in place.,9,Going from an old Centrex system to VOIP saved a lot of money. Being able to move the phones anywhere with a network connection saves from having to contract a telecom technician to come move phone lines. Moving to CCM has put us on a path to stay current in our telecom environment.,Avaya,Microsoft Exchange, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Microsoft BIReview of Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM)We use CUCM to manage our Cisco phone environment of roughly 1200 phones. This includes roughly 100 emergency phones of various types. We integrate directly with Exchange 2016 for Unified Communication, which allows voicemail to go directly to the user's inbox. (We do not use Unity.) We have around half dozen IP phone models (7941/42, 6921, etc.).,It is good at allowing for specific phone configurations. If you want to get granular, this is the tool for you. The single number reach feature works well, allowing simultaneous ringing to outside devices, such as a mobile phone or home phone. The Cisco IP Communicator application is great. I use it every day to emulate my physical phone from my laptop. I have used it extensively when working from home or at our co-location where cell service is not available. I just connect to the company VPN, launch the application, and use the phone just like it was on my desk. It even looks the same.,The user interface is not intuitive; if you don't know what you are doing, a single, small change can become a major problem. Provisioning a single device requires lots of clicks and manual input of data; easy to misspell something by accident. I find the provisioning process to be rather time consuming, but that may be because unified communications is not my primary role. CUCM is not particularly friendly to non-Cisco hardware; you can configure other makes (we use Polycom for conference phones), but the configuration process is pretty involved, and requires time and experience.,6,It has successfully provided us with a solid UC platform to host our VoIP phones. I consider that a net positive. It is rather time consuming to manager on a daily basis, which I would consider either neutral or negative, depending on how you look at it.,Fortinet FortiGate, Barracuda Web Filter, Ivanti Endpoint Manager (formerly LANDESK Management Suite), Sophos Endpoint ProtectionCisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM)Communications Manager is a very complex and full featured telephony Enterprise solution. My company uses this product to deploy IP phones and analog telephony products to multiple sites across the state. CUCM is very stable and handles our 20k+ phone deployment very well. I would recommend some basic training before deploying or administrating this solution. It can be quite difficult to spin up for the new user. We use Communications Manager with Unity Connection and Contact Center Express for a complete voice solution.,Flexible configurations Accepts 3rd party SIP devices Great support from Cisco,Cost Difficult setup without training Administration slows down with concurrent users in database (10+),9,Good return on investment in the long run Simplifies purchasing End users enjoy the experience of using the products Respected brand,,Cisco Unified Contact Center, Aruba Networks Wireless, Pinnacle, Cisco Session Border Controller
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager)

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Reviews

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager)
Top Rated Award
Filter 54 vetted Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) reviews and ratings
Andrew Murphy profile photo
June 07, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco Call Manager, a robust phone system"

• Cisco Jabber is a great application that can be used with the Cisco phone system. You can do audio or audio and video. It also allows for chat.
  • Hunt groups. You can have multiple people in the same group to ring multiple phones at once.
  • Using Cisco Unity with Call Manager you can create Auto Attendants and call menus.
  • Coming in brand new to using Call Manager it takes a bit to get to know it. Definitely get with someone who has experience and can learn how to manage it. I started 1.5 years ago with Call Manager and I'm decent now but I still have access to a tech for the complicated stuff. Document how to do everything and it will be easy to repeat!
  • It's very easy to make a mistake in setting up an extension.
  • It's hard to think of another Con. The biggest thing is learning how to do it. You don't need a certification to learn but it is best to learn from someone who has the knowledge and document as you go. The best way is to have them walk you through all the fixes and you learn as you fix things.
Call Manager is a great use when you have multiple sites. Also when you have a small IT department. It is very robust and once programmed correctly it pretty much operates well on its own without having to be touched. It's a great "set it and forget it" solution. Definitely pay to have someone help install and train!
Read Andrew Murphy's full review
John Van Lieshout profile photo
July 10, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco UCM"

• Easy of use
  • Robust
  • More features than you could ask for
  • Cost
  • Tech support can be a bear
  • Initial setup can be difficult
It can support tons of devices used in multiple different environments.
Read John Van Lieshout's full review
Michael Dallio profile photo
October 25, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco Call Manager"

• Versatile
  • Easy setup and configuration of new and existing phones
  • Easily expandable
  • Updates for new phones are not easy to implement.
  • Expanding hardware is expensive.
  • Adding licenses is very confusing because of the license tier system they have in place.
If you are looking to switch to VOIP this is a very stable solution. I also like the fact that the servers are virtualized.
Read Michael Dallio's full review
Shawn Umansky profile photo
June 06, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager): "Review of Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM)"

• It is good at allowing for specific phone configurations. If you want to get granular, this is the tool for you.
  • The single number reach feature works well, allowing simultaneous ringing to outside devices, such as a mobile phone or home phone.
  • The Cisco IP Communicator application is great. I use it every day to emulate my physical phone from my laptop. I have used it extensively when working from home or at our co-location where cell service is not available. I just connect to the company VPN, launch the application, and use the phone just like it was on my desk. It even looks the same.
  • The user interface is not intuitive; if you don't know what you are doing, a single, small change can become a major problem.
  • Provisioning a single device requires lots of clicks and manual input of data; easy to misspell something by accident.
  • I find the provisioning process to be rather time consuming, but that may be because unified communications is not my primary role.
  • CUCM is not particularly friendly to non-Cisco hardware; you can configure other makes (we use Polycom for conference phones), but the configuration process is pretty involved, and requires time and experience.
I think it is probably a great fit for organizations that have both a Cisco based infrastructure, as well as a full time telecommunications person to manage it.
Read Shawn Umansky's full review
Jamaal Tate profile photo
August 30, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM)"

• Flexible configurations
  • Accepts 3rd party SIP devices
  • Great support from Cisco
  • Cost
  • Difficult setup without training
  • Administration slows down with concurrent users in database (10+)
I recommend this to companies that want an IP phone solution across multiple sites. Great for managing a mixed environment of desk phones, softphones and analog connections.
Read Jamaal Tate's full review
November 08, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "CUCM isn't just for Call Routing! Route your faxes and even manage PA Systems!"

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) Call Manager is used to manage all our phone numbers throughout our organization. Additionally, it is used to route a portion of fax numbers to our eFax server (StoneFax) as well as a recent implementation of Informacast which is used as our PA system at our school sites. It routes all our calls, digital and analog throughout our whole school district.
  • Ease of reporting. Able to obtain bulk reporting on current extensions assigned by location, which is very helpful to us as we have 21 different school sites. It makes it easier to manage when we are working on particular projects.
  • Extension Mobility is a very awesome feature of CUCM that allows users to login to any phone on our network with their own extension. This has served particularly well with our school counselors that roam to different school sites. It's easier for them to provide staff and parents one phone number to contact them at, as opposed to several numbers from all the sites they visit.
  • Cisco Meet Me is another awesome addition within the CUCM that allows for conference calling within our own phone system. No need to purchase a 3rd party phone conferencing when it can be implemented within your own infrastructure. It is extremely easy to configure and has been very beneficial for the executive staff in our district.
  • CUCM can improve by actually showing the administrator which DID numbers are available for use. We have a large block of DID numbers provided by AT&T, but when configuring them on the phone system we have no idea which ones are actually available for use. The worst thing is, if it's not configured on call manager BUT it is being used as a voicemail line on Cisco unity, I have no idea until I cross check the number on the Unity Server. It's really cumbersome having to go back and forth between unity and CUCM to ensure I'm actually configuring an available phone number.
  • Improvement with CUCM and Unity configuration. Having to configure phone numbers and voicemails on two separate systems wastes a lot of time. And there have been times where a phone number had been configured, but we forgot to attach the voicemail inbox to it, leaving the user without voicemails. I hope this can be improved in the future. I'm not against having two separate systems, but I wish there was a better way to integrate the two especially when it comes to voicemail management.
  • Improve on the User Interface. If you have no familiarity with CUCM, it is extremely hard to navigate and find the settings that you need. Unfortunately I did not receive much training, but the system wasn't that intuitive to be able to navigate easily. I had to youtube and google many things in order to make sense of the layout. Additionally, the Cisco user guides are extremely hard to follow as well.
CUCM is very well suited for several types of other tools (Example: eFax and Informacast). We were able to use our existing system to upgrade our PA system and implement a "panic button" alert across our districts to notify front office staff of an issue occurring in a classroom. It's very useful to be able to have one system in place that can be configured to route faxes and handle our PA system as well.

CUCM isn't appropriate for smaller organizations, in my opinion. It's a really robust system and if it is needed for a small amount of call routing, I think it would be too much work to establish servers and switches for CUCM in a small organization.
Brian Munn profile photo
January 19, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco Unified Communications Manager - VoIP Phone Solution on Steroids"

We use Cisco Unified Communications Manager across our entire organization. This includes 30+ sites and about 1,200 phones and users. This allows for easy four digit dialing between offices and provides organization wide voicemail and instant messaging and presents. The system also allows us to receive calls originating from location and answer from another to provide better coverage between departments and regions.
  • The first strength is this is a VoIP system allowing voice to travel across a data IP network. This makes cabling for phones very easy as the phone will utilize the same network cable that your PC would. This also means less infrastructure to support voice. No need for large PBX systems and closets that hide cabling nightmares.
  • Cisco Unified Communications Manager is a very flexible product. It can be custom configured to best suit your business needs and locations. It can be used as a single tenant or multi tenant system. Each site or office location can be configured separately from others for greater control.
  • Cisco offers a wide range of phone models for various needs and supports many third party SIP phones. There are also multiple ways to integrate with legacy systems during a system migration or when integrating a new company or office.
  • Licensing can be difficult to understand. Cisco has changed licensing models multiple times over the years and determining what modes is best suited for your company can be difficult.
  • Systems backups need some work. If you are in a multi server geographically separated environment backups can be a problem. All servers are included in a backup session and if servers are across a WAN connection all that data is being pulled across the WAN. I would like to see cloud backup or multi location backup options.
  • When phones move between sites/subnets it would be nice to have a feature that could automatically move the phone configuration from one device pool to another so that location specific options are set for the moved phone.
For larger companies that need a VoIP solution, Cisco Unified Communications Manager is hands down the best solution. It will grow with your company and provide many features your users currently need or will ask for. There are options for smaller companies but with these options, there are features that are left out. For some, this may not be an issue but for others, it could be.

Read Brian Munn's full review
February 05, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Senior Engineer, Telecommunications"

Call Manager is used for our organization and for telecommunication services for all our offices globally. It provides us with seamless voice and video communication and reduces cost incurred with Telco as we route all calls within the organization internally across our WAN,
  • Call Manager provides no-cost communication between all our offices globally.
  • Call Manager administration is easier than traditional TDM and or other VoIP systems
  • We used to be a full Cisco shop with Cisco routers and switches. However, we've changed our infrastructure to use Brocade and it works well with other systems.
  • It would be nice if Cisco-provided better management tools. We used to use Prime Collaboration but moved over to Riverbed UCExpert
  • Our offices can sometimes fall victim to robocalls so it would be nice if Call Manager had an easy way to reject these calls instead of doing it on the cube router or provider side.
  • I've been using Call Manager for a while now and I find that with each subsequent upgrade that it gets better and better. Maintenance upgrades can sometimes be difficult and I'm not sure how to address it but I've been using a new tool called Prime Collaboration Deployment that's helped. I think in general CUCM is a great product.
I used to do Avaya TDM and Avaya VoIP but that's been over 10 years ago. Honestly, I don't think there's a product that competes with Call Manager on the Enterprise level. I believe it's come a long way. We use Cisco 8800 / 9900 devices as well as Jabber and MRA to connect our remote users. We also leverage other products such as voice messaging with Unity Connections. I've also used other products such as Contact Center Express.
May 14, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco UCM - Great tool for simple VOIP management"

We use Cisco Unified Call Manager across the system to manage our VOIP phones. This system is great because it is a fairly simple tool to use in regards to managing phones. It also is able to allow troubleshooting from any location with little to no interaction needed in person at the device.
  • Remote Troubleshooting
  • Remote support of devices
  • Organization of the company's phone lines and devices
  • Ability to copy existing profiles from other phones for fast deployment
  • Certificate Deployment
  • The web interface is a little dated and sometimes confusing
  • Changes sometimes have to be saved two times which is repetitive
  • Some of the descriptors in the drop downs are not clear
  • Sometimes interface can be slow
Call Manager is great if you are going to deploy Cisco phones at small, medium, or large companies where you will need to be able to manage phones as the staff and company size changes. This is also great when you don't have a dedicated IT staff member on site when the changes are to be made. The changes made are also close to immediate after being saved in the system.
May 08, 2018

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Cisco Unified Communications Manager, all your communication needs in one package."

I've worked very closely with Cisco Unified Communications Manager thanks to a number of our clients. They use it for everything from something as basic to a phone call, to video conferences, and even down to basic instant messaging inside the corporation. From a management perspective, it's intuitive to administer, easy to get set up, and very robust for my client's communication needs. Overall I consider this a great product.
  • From an administration perspective the product is incredibly intuitive, and a joy to manage.
  • Training a new user on the software, and hardware takes no time at all and Cisco provides a lot of detailed information to pass along to the end users.
  • The ability to have everything practically seamless makes this a wonderful solution. From basic telephony, video conferencing, to instant messaging either in the office, or on the road, having unified presence and voice/video capabilities has been a huge selling point for our customers.
  • When I first started using the product the learning curve was a little steep, but overall once you take the time to learn the Call Manager it's incredibly intuitive. I don't know that there's much I think could need improvement.
  • I've had end users complain about having too many options at first, but once they start using more of then this complaint usually disappears. I'm not sure this is something that really needs improvement, but I list this for lack of other ideas for improvement.
  • Compared to other systems I think Cisco hit the mark on this one, and I don't have many areas that I would consider improving upon.
For a medium-sized business or larger I think this is a great solution. It covers pretty much all the needs you would want, basic telephony, video conferencing, instant messaging, and presence. Like anything else you get what you pay for if you have the budget for a Cisco product, I definitely recommend this. For the smaller business that doesn't need all the features or a business that doesn't have the appropriate budget to warrant a product like Call Manager, this may not be the best fit.
Ryan Thompson profile photo
March 14, 2017

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Managing Call Manager"

Clearpoint uses Call Manager to connect remote and internal phones across a nation-wide organization.
  • Day-to-day administration is relatively easy
  • Phones are user-friendly
  • Able to administer a nation-wide system from one location
  • Initial deployment can be difficult
  • Expensive
Great for use for most organizations. The main negative is the cost, which can be burdensome.
Read Ryan Thompson's full review
Rui Ferraz profile photo
October 17, 2016

We are currently reselling CUCM solutions for our enterprise customers, focusing these kind of solution for clients that have an installed base of Cisco Solutions.
Cisco solutions work with great productivity when focusing when delivering Cisco's ecosystem. The quality of its telephones and solutions is currently a great driver to sell Cisco over other kind of manufacturers.
When talking about Cisco, you get the possibility to increase your collaborators productivity, offering some other modules, like for example:
Jabber
Unity
Mediasense
etc...
  • Can be deployed using a centralized and virtualized approach or using a server (For example BE6K)
  • Quality of its phones and equipments
  • Evolution of its solutions and roadmap
  • Ease to reach information and its capability to create documentation to help the partners
  • Desktop Sharing
  • Federations with other IM&P solutions
  • Integration with Lync
  • Video solution, without the need to use VCS
Well suited for:
  • Clients with a very high need to scale and with a lot of sites.
  • Solutions that need a collaborative solution that focuses on the functionalities rather than the price.
  • Clients that need a evolving solution and have their own technical support.
Read Rui Ferraz's full review
June 10, 2016

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Review: "Powerful Phone System"

Cisco Unified Communications Manager was used by one remote manufacturing plant. Other sites used a company standard system that was decided upon and implemented after the Cisco system was already in place. The Cisco Communications Manager was used to administrate the Cisco phone system that we had in place and could be used to assign extensions, hunt groups and other phone features.
  • The system is powerful and can handle a huge number of phones.
  • The GUI is powerful.
  • It is easier to set up advanced functions than with some competing products.
  • To get the most out of the system you need to use the command line, which is very complicated.
  • The system is much more expensive than competing systems.
It is an expensive, powerful enterprise system and thus is not appropriate for a small business of less than 50 people.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) Scorecard Summary

Hosted PBX (3)
10.0
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (6)
User templates (10)
Call reports (9)
6.4
Directory of employee names (9)
Answering rules (12)
Call recording (8)
Call park (9)
Call screening (7)
Message alerts (12)
Video conferencing (8)
Audio conferencing (11)
Mobile app for iOS (6)
Mobile app for Android (4)

About Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager)