Cision Communications Cloud Reviews

TrustRadius TRUE BadgeTrustRadius Top Rated for 2020

Erin Witt, APR | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 05, 2020

Cision helps busy PR and content professionals connect the dots

We use Cision to distribute news releases, PR pitches, and inquiries to media for several of our key clients. It is primarily used by me, as I lead our PR efforts as well as content management. Since many of the clients I represent are in narrow verticals, the solution allows me to research what influencers have written about specific topics and better target my pitch to them. It also helps me quickly perform follow-ups on my pitches, rather than spending hours cutting and pasting a pitch into email and reformatting and personalizing for each recipient. The amount of time the product has saved me has been amazing. It is the most useful tool in my PR arsenal.

We also use the platform to scan the news for coverage for our clients, and to perform competitive analysis for new clients, or during the discovery process for existing clients. It allows us to provide a summary view of what others are saying about our client and its competitors, and to also share helpful content analysis facts, such as number of mentions, number of publications reached during a time period, key terms used, etc. It is a valued research tool.
  • Influencer research: I am able to quickly find the right reporter or editor for my pitch because Cision lets me know what they write about, their communications preferences, past articles, etc.
  • Distribution: I appreciate a template to help streamline my pitch and press release distribution that allows me to send my news to a targeted list of contacts without having to send individual emails. I can send out communications with just a few steps, in just a few minutes.
  • News search: I use Cision to scan for news and monitor for mentions of my clients. I also use this feature to keep tabs on topics and key terms of interest to me and my clients to stay ahead of emerging trends and stay on top of emerging discussions in my clients' industries.
  • I would like to see more COVID-19 search terms. This is here to stay. Many of my clients want information specific to this topic.
  • Let us monitor for reporters specifically writing about COVID-19. Make this a topic in the influencer search.
  • I wish I had more functionality when searching "all news" instead of just "my coverage." There are times I have a search fully set up and get no results back only to realize I am in "my coverage" instead of "all news" and have to start all over again— only to find that I can't do half of what I could have if I was only searching my coverage.
I think Cision is very helpful if you have a number of clients you are performing PR/media relations/content management for. It could also be very useful if you are working with a client or for a company that is often in the news—it can help you keep on top of the news funnel, and not miss coverage.

I think it is probably less necessary for clients who are only in the news infrequently, or for whom PR is not an active strategy. If you are looking for passive and infrequent monitoring or engagement with media, a less robust solution is probably sufficient.
Read Erin Witt, APR's full review
Cindy Arco | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 11, 2020

Cision Communications Cloud is a Solid Option for PR Professionals

Cision Communications Cloud (formerly Vocus PR Suite) is used by my department, which is a public relations team of myself and my boss. We also occasionally allow contractors/PR agencies we work with to use it temporarily for specific projects. We use the software for two primary purposes. First, we use Cision to research news media outlets and contacts and organize them in to media lists. Second, we use Cision's distribution feature to send a company news release or announcement to the members of a particular media list.
  • Cision Communications Cloud has an extensive media outlet database so it allows public relations and communications professionals to find the right media outlets and contacts for any media market in the United States and for just about any specialty or trade news media.
  • Cision Communications Cloud is very user-friendly. It's easy to navigate and find what you need, plus offers a lot of options for how to organize your contacts and media lists.
  • The customer support team at Cision is always very helpful and gets back to you quickly when you need assistance. Cision also offers online/teleconference training classes plus a great help section within the portal that contains articles and "how to" videos.
  • Cision could do a better job of keeping all media contacts in its database up to date. It is difficult because in today's media landscape, turnover is high BUT having the right names and contact information is critical for the public relations and communications professionals who use the software.
  • Cision could start offering lower cost package options for smaller companies or agencies. Right now, the cost of subscriptions is at a level that smaller organizations likely can't afford it but don't necessary need all the features that larger, enterprise companies will utilize and are willing and able to pay for.
Cision Communications Cloud (formerly the Vocus PR Suite) is well suited for public relations and communications professionals looking to research media outlets and contacts to target with news releases or company announcements, then be able to quickly send them out via a distribution throughCision (versus having to spend a lot more time sending individual emails to each person.) It's not as well-suited if a PR or communications professional always needs to share their news and announcements with a small, specific group of media contacts - in which case, it would be much more cost effective to maintain their own media list via an internal document and then send announcements out individually by email.
  • Online training
Read Cindy Arco's full review
Michael Puglia | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 23, 2020

Three Cheers for Cision

Cision is used at our agency to quickly and accurately compile lists of target media outlets and contacts for media relations. Using the online platform, we're able to sift through publications across the country to find reporters that will have an interest in our clients.
  • Maintain media lists
  • Perform ad-hoc reporter research
  • Customer service
  • User interface
  • Customizability
Cision is perfect for any PR agency—small or large—looking to broaden their reach while reducing upfront target media research. The tool itself doesn't require much learning, allowing even interns the ability to research, develop, and share media lists with senior members of the team. For companies managing multiple lists, the online database is a no-brainer.
Read Michael Puglia's full review
Amy Cantrill | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 29, 2020

Cision Communications Cloud Review

We are using it to monitor our own, and our clients', PR impact. Having previously used a number of different platforms to generate valuable insights and showcase the results of our work, this is plugging the gap by bringing all of those analytics under one easy-to-use platform.
  • The dashboard - really straight forward to use, easy to explain to new starters how to use it and also switch around for clients depending on what campaigns / time frame you're monitoring
  • The shareability - it's great to give clients an interactive report for them to go into themselves and click through to individual pieces of coverage
  • The chat bot - always a quick, helpful response which is especially handy for us as we're in the UK and it's a US platform so when starting out our contact wasn't always available
  • The share of voice tool - very accurate and good to be able to add a number of different charts to monitor different sectors / offerings
  • Integration with Google Analytics - this isn't always showing the most accurate results and it's not explained as well as the other widgets.
  • Print coverage - it would be useful to have a manual way of adding in print coverage so we can evaluate all coverage on one dashboard.
  • UK regional breakdown - there is a good breakdown for hotspots in US but not for UK regions.
Great for growing PR agencies or companies looking to measure themselves against competitors. Good for campaign measurement / specific messaging or KPIs. Useful for agencies with clients who are very hands-on with the report and want to view analytics for themselves. It looks slick so a good way to impress clients with good, global PR tools.
Great chatbox function but the UK support could be better
Read Amy Cantrill's full review
Aidan M. Ryan, APR | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 22, 2020

Effective, but hoping for improved accuracy

Our firm's Brand Management and Client Relations departments use Cision to monitor coverage of the firm, gain competitive intelligence, and quickly reach media contacts and influencers. We have also used Cision on behalf of firm clients to monitor crisis situations.
  • Data visualization - very helpful in presenting data to non-experts
  • Media contact database - fairly extensive and up-to-date, with some notable exceptions
  • Ability to organize work in "campaigns" - good for self-monitoring and reporting on ROI
  • Impact - this is wildly inaccurate
  • Actual views - again, wildly inaccurate
  • Reporting - should be more options besides real-time alerts and hand-curated newsletters. Automated weekly reports would be an obvious addition.
Cision Communications Cloud is well-suited to the marketing or PR professional who needs to track real-time and historic data on media mentions of a company, product, or person, and to report on these to stakeholders within an organization. It is also very helpful for PR professionals (internal or external) tasked with pitching media and tracking their own ROI.
Read Aidan M. Ryan, APR's full review
T. Andrew Huddleston | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 27, 2020

Cision Communications Cloud is a great tool for PR pros and Execs

In the communications infrastructure, we use Cision Communications Cloud (TrendKite)* to keep track of the impact of our media outreach efforts and track trends with respect to how the UAW is mentioned in the news. We use it to create regional and topic level reports on media sentiment and impact.
*[This review was written before Cision acquired TrendKite. TrendKite is now part of Cision Communications Cloud.]
  • The UI/UX is really great. Dashboards are easy to read and, compared to other products, Cision Communications Cloud is easy for first time users and non-experts to understand intuitively.
  • The automatic, interactive reporting feature is a highlight that allows us to get some really great insights on different topics and for different sectors that provide great insight for executives.
  • The customer service experience and interactive chat feature is great. If you've got any questions, the team at Cision is always very responsive.
  • The features of the product are generally easy to use, robust and user friendly. The one thing that many competitors offer is more of a full-service package with distribution and media databases or social media integration. I hope that this is added in in the future.
If you're looking for a software that tracks the impact of your press work in a way that's both detailed and easy to understand in the C-Suite, this is a great product. It's not really appropriate beyond that.
Support is an area where Cision really stands out. Its staff is responsive, well-trained; understands the products and its use cases; can provide help on things from setting up dashboards to strategies for getting more out of the product. They are always quick to respond to requests and are very professional.
This product is easy to use for beginners, generates easy to understand insights for laypeople, but is powerful enough to dig deeply into PR trends.
Read T. Andrew Huddleston's full review
Andrew Still-Baxter | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 07, 2020

Cision: an essential tool for any aspiring PR Pro.

The communications team at Clover is currently using Cision as a media database. If we're looking to do a beat-specific announcement, we will compile all the relevant reporters to conduct our outreach. Similarly, if we are mentioned in an article, or there is an industry reporter that we don't have a relationship with, we use Cision to find their contact information. While just used in one department, it is an essential aspect of the work the communications team is doing.
  • Always has up-to-date reporter information
  • Location-specific searches for media relations in local markets
  • Lists previous coverage and current interests of reports to more accurately target outreach
  • Sometimes it is missing contact information for key journalists.
  • Reporter beats could be more granular.
Cision Communications Cloud's media database is essential for media relations work. Reporters frequently change jobs and don't always share their contact emails, so getting in touch with them can be incredibly difficult at times. Having one place with an up-to-date list of all the reporters that I need to interact with empowers me to do my job more effectively.
Read Andrew Still-Baxter's full review
Emily Hartman | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 14, 2020

Cision: great for big business, jury is out on niche mid-size businesses

It's used only by the Marketing department right now. I'm the only company employee who spends time on PR (split with Customer Comms) and have one freelancer who we give access to use the platform. Our Digital Marketing Manager also uses the platform to help supplement monitoring HARO and for advertising information. Cision helps with competitor intelligence and understanding our PR reach.
  • Media database of reporters is always helpful and what I consistently come back to Cision for.
  • Monitoring: I find it harder now at a B2B organization to measure impact with Cision, but Cision's ability to monitor sheer volume and general impact has always been helpful.
  • Share of voice.
  • UX when it comes to switching between systems. I understand that it's a process that is long and can be difficult to accomplish but feels like as such a powerhouse Cision must have a faster process for this. e.g., Trendkite. Overall, as a user, I get the sense that Cision just buys companies and everything I touch as a user requires me to enter a new system/previous company's interface. It's also complicated to remember where things live, or how you get to similar aspects in other platforms (e.g., Distribution and Message Center).
  • HARO: I'm interested in certain search terms within HARO and am surprised there isn't a way to create an email alert based on my search term.
Cision is great for large companies and organizations that receive a lot of news (particularly mainstream news). As a mid-size B2B company, I'm less convinced now that Cision is the right tool when we're trying to gather measurement and impact among smaller trade publications. Cision considers those pubs to be small without much impact, but those are big hits for us. My measurement reports (e.g., SEO, audience reach, etc.) never look great because I'm not focused on the New York Times but on publications like Health+Safety Magazine or AutoSuccess. Not that I expect a weighted system or have an answer for this, I'm just not sure how much measurement helps us.
Read Emily Hartman's full review
Ellie Malone | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 28, 2020

Cision Communications Cloud is the tool to beat for PR Consultants!

We use it to track media placements and mentions for a variety of clients that we serve as a PR agency. We use it across the entire agency but our clients do not use it. It helps us keep track of all the media placements in one place as well as do our monthly reporting on things such as share of voice, SEO impact, etc. to help show the value of our work to our clients.
  • Media monitoring: good at catching broadcast clips and online clips compared to other tools I've used.
  • Share of voice against competitors is also easy to use and good to show the value of brand within the industry.
  • Some of the searches can be really complex to understand and can pick up a lot of unwanted media hits.
  • Setting up dashboards and learning to use them can be hard and have a bit of a learning curve.
I think Trendkite [when it was standalone] as a media monitoring system and reporting tool is the best there is out there, but I think you need more than just Trendkite to complete the job. I would recommend this over competitors like Meltwater, but I think you need this combined with Cision to really have all the right tools for a job in PR.
Support is always online and the chat feature is really easy to use. There have been very few times where they have not been able to solve my problem for me. It's timely and convenient which is what I need when going about reporting, etc. during my day to day duties.
Read Ellie Malone's full review
Roland Alonzi | TrustRadius Reviewer

Cision Communications Cloud is an easy-to-use solution for measuring PR results

The agency uses Cision Communications Cloud (TrendKite)* across the entire PR department. We use it to measure and quantify the results that we generate for clients, and to create visually pleasing, easy-to-digest dashboards that we can incorporate into our reporting structure.
  • Accurate reporting and measurement of editorial results
  • Easy-to-digest, visually impressive graphs that can be incorporated into reports
  • Easily sharable interactive reports that can measure share of voice among other valuable metrics
  • Bulk removal of irrelevant search results
I have already recommended Cision to many of my peers who have been using other measurement and reporting solutions. It is perfect for the agency environment, where you have to track results and measure them for a number of clients in many different industries.
Cision support has always been a great feature for the product. From onboarding to ongoing issues that pop up, Cision has an outstanding support team. There's plenty of ways to reach them and they are well versed in the product, so you can't stump them with an issue because they've seen it all.
It's a relatively inexpensive (compared to Cision pre-TrendKite, Meltwater and other measurement platforms) and easy to use solution.

*This review was written before Cision acquired TrendKite. TrendKite is now part of Cision Communications Cloud.
Read Roland Alonzi's full review
Nick Bowman | TrustRadius Reviewer

Solid comms reporting platform

One of the measures of corp comms performance - Cision Communications Cloud (TrendKite)* helps us to get a view of our competitive/peer relative performance. We use it also to track how we do in target pubs and key message association.
  • Quick, visual reports
  • More or less instant coverage reporting
  • Picks up ads quite often
  • Misses print coverage
Use Cision Communications Cloud to supplement agency reporting for a more trustworthy picture of how your company is doing across the media landscape.
Generally good but requests aren't always followed through on (though recently this has drastically improved)
Read Nick Bowman's full review
Paige Finney | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 14, 2020

Cision is great for Traditional PR

We mainly use Cision cloud to gain access to a database of media professionals to assist when pitching stories. It is used only in the Public Relations department.
  • User Friendly
  • Updated media lists
Cision is great for traditional PR efforts from media pitching to build relationships with journalists. Our agency clients are moving away from this so we are not using it as frequently as we had in years past.
Read Paige Finney's full review
September 09, 2020

Improvements Could Be Made

The cloud is used just by the marketing department, and most specifically within the PR team. It helps us manage media lists.
  • Media lists.
  • Customer support/account service team.
  • Outlet metrics (uvms, circulation etc).
  • Search tool functionality.
  • Lack of details for contacts.
  • Slow updates to contacts.
It is well suited for those who manage media lists, distribution, email marketing, mass communication. It would not be appropriate for anyone outside of a marketing team at my company.
I give it a 5 because while the website is very easy to navigate, I have so many issues with the search function. I can type something in that is one letter off, and no results will come up. You must type something in to perfection to get results - I think the results should cast a wider net so it's easier to find what you're looking for.
August 26, 2020

Cision is an expensive tool but can pay for itself in efficiencies if used enough

Overall the tool is easy to use and you can find exactly what you need pretty quickly. The list save and export feature is very user friendly and makes it very efficient and a big time saver. I use for searches and then it's super easy to get more granular to generate lists specific to your goals. The reporting and monitoring is also very useful for understanding the impact of our efforts.
  • List building
  • Monitoring Impact
  • Reporting and ROI Tracking
  • Pricing can be difficult for smaller companies
  • Navigation can be confusing
  • Influencer marketing can use some better features
It's a great all-in-one communication tool that has a lot of time-saving features that makes our communication team and the value we provide for clients much better. Overall the impact having the tool has had on our company and our ability to show ROI can't be understated. If your company has the budget for the tool, it's a good investment.
August 07, 2020

Customized lists, great for niche publicity

We do niche book publicity. The media database helps me and my assistant put together customized media lists for publicity campaigns for our clients. It helps us to search and pinpoint contacts and their information in a wide variety of media outlets that would be perfect for our clients. It saves us a lot of legwork.
  • Customize searches by media type, location, and most importantly subject
  • Able to use key search words to help narrow down results
  • Provides key contact information we couldn't find otherwise.
  • Keeping more on top of updates. Listings or contact information is sometimes out of date. We have been starting to send in more notices about these.
  • We would like to see a separate media category for podcasts. The number of podcasts has increased dramatically over the last few years; many of them overlap with internet and radio, we would like to see them broken out in a separate category.
Cision Communications Cloud is good for people in businesses who need to find lists of media contacts. You can create broad lists, but the option for creating specific lists that target particular media or subject matter is what works best for us. We specialize in niche media campaigns for our authors and tailor our lists to their needs, which makes us unique.
  • Online training
Very easy to use for a large platform with a lot of information, but there is always room for improvement.
Easy to use, but still room for improvement.
April 02, 2020

Cision Communications Cloud: An Easy-To-Use and Helpful Solution for PR Measurement

I previously used Cision Communications Cloud (TrendKite)* for one of my clients at our agency. We used it to track and measure earned media mentions, along with analyzing where a lot of our coverage was coming from. From there, we would use that info to seek out new opportunities and conduct competitive analyses as to how we were stacking up against other products/companies in the space.
*[This review was written near the time Cision acquired TrendKite. TrendKIte is now part of Cision Communications Cloud.]
  • Easy and attractive reporting capabilities.
  • Intuitive platform, very user-friendly.
  • Ability to measure results (like share of voice) that you couldn't do manually.
  • Hard to get your boolean/search query accurate.
  • Slow customer support from the technical side (not from the Sales side).
Great for if you have a client that is heavily focused on PR and needs a good system of measurement. If you're doing a lot with social, influencers or digital ads, there are other systems of measurement that would be better suited.
For Cision TrendKite in particilar, support always responded, but it was sometimes slow. For some of our booleans and search queries, we would need help refining and excluding terms/phrases that weren't relevant to our client or campaign. This sometimes took 1-2 days just to get a response back, which sometimes was too late when a last-minute report was due. This was only with the support staff, not necessarily our customer success manager or sales rep.

Cision Communications Cloud is the Right Choice

We use Cision Communications Cloud (TrendKite)* for client alerts and searches, monitoring and listening, and reporting. Each account person leverages Cision Communications Cloud for their accounts. We specifically like the key message analysis, share of voice comparison against the competition or other brands within an organization, and social amplification. We also use the SEO score and like it's integrated with MOZ. It makes monitoring media coverage easier, pulling client results easier and really differentiates us from the competition when going after new business or helping guide clients with data-driven decisions. We use Cision's media database for media list development and we have access to Cision's analytics but isn't any good - especially compared to Cision Communications Cloud - the platform has not merged their analytics yet. Cision also offers social media posting but we still like Sprout Social better.
*[This review was written near to the time of Cision's acquisition of TrendKite. The former TrendKite product is now part of Cision Communications Cloud.]
  • "Talking About" option on media database
  • Widgets on Cision Communications Cloud and SEO value
  • The platform is easy to use
  • Customization of Cision Communications Cloud reports
  • Cision Communications Cloud customer service
  • Not all placements are picked up or a lot of times the wrong placements are included.
  • Although you can add in placements/coverage - it does not always end up in your report.
  • If you want wire coverage (e.g. - PRNewswire, PRWeb, Businesswire) it won't capture the coverage if it is behind a firewall or taken off the site so you need to capture a report the day it runs or it skews the results if you are creating monthly reports.
  • Now that TrendKite has merged with Cision not as many ebooks, resources and content is available - TrendKite used to have a great resource section.
  • Cision customer service isn't as responsive as Cision TrendKite's customer service reps
Cision Communications Cloud is great if you are looking for one place to set alerts, monitor coverage and pull results reports. However, now that the merge has happened the customer service for Cision (formerly TrendKite) has remained the same but Cision is just as bad as it used to be. It has become extremely expensive, very corporate and several products overlap. If there were cost-effective options that did the same as what I needed I would use those. I would use Cision if you are a PR expert who is looking for one place to house your media lists, lead generation, press releases, analytics, influencers and possibly social media.
The TrendKite team was responsive, helpful, quick and easy to work with. They always solve our issues and if they don't know the answer, the work with their team to find a solution. Plus, they're friendly. Cision takes forever and sometimes has to go through 20 people before getting the answer. Sometimes I've emailed a Cision rep and it will take days for them to get back to us.
The usability is good and it is easy to use.
July 15, 2020

PR Strategy Success with Cision

Cision is used to enhance and monitor our Public Relations efforts. We keep track of media contacts, news coverage and social mentions. We use analytics to gauge sentiment in the marketplace. We monitor our competitors and compare earned media results. It's a fantastic way to pull month-end and periodic reports for Board review, we really appreciate not having to keep track of placements in spreadsheets!
  • Monitors media mentions. We can see where our news releases are published and we can see where there are stories about us that may require follow up with the journalist or publication.
  • Monitors competitors. We can easily see the news our competitors are sharing and the volume of coverage they receive. This gives us great benchmarking data to increase our share of voice in earned media.
  • Provides information about sentiment so we have an idea of overall perception the media is providing people about our company. This allows us to follow up and provide information and education where needed. It also lets us know where we need work to improve perception in the media.
  • Customizable Media lists. Create lists with freelancers and staff journalists. Include notes about contacts, pitch ideas, etc.
  • When people leave your organization, it can be difficult to change settings and automated emails.
  • More ability to customize searches and to tweak them without the assistance of Cision of staff.
We have found Cision to be a helpful reporting tool, which was the primary reason it was originally purchased. We wanted to have a better understanding of our coverage, sentiment and how we stack up versus our competitors. It has performed very well for us. We have not used the distribution services because we have another service we had already subscribed to. However, we are looking at combining the two in the future for a seamless PR tool that does everything we need it to do.
In addition to media relations, we also use it to track government contacts. It has been helpful to have our information in one place and out of a spreadsheet that could easily be overwritten or deleted.
July 13, 2020

A great PR tool for Marketers

Our Marketing Department uses Cision Communications Cloud nearly daily. As a manager, the daily reports are vital for me to see how we are doing compared to competitors. From the PR aspect, Cision makes it easy and effective to send out, and organize, press releases all in one place. My team has also used Cision to discover new bloggers to build relationships with.
  • Easy and organized way to distribute press releases
  • Effective to find bloggers and people already talking about your services
  • Excellent reporting and stats on competitors
  • Better on-boarding walk through, I didn't receive much support or a walk around of the service when taking over ownership.
Cision Communications Cloud is an overall great program for larger marketers. There are many features to enhance your PR efforts. The daily reports summarize all PR information of competitors for you in an organized manner. Cision is likely not a good choice for small businesses as the program itself is quite pricey.
July 13, 2020

Small Organization But Big Results Thanks to Cision Communications Cloud

At the Art Center, we use Cision Communications Cloud as a means to connect and interact with other art-based organizations and creators on both a local, regional, and national level. The main business problem we are looking to address with Cision Communications Cloud is to better inspire creative expression in people of all ages through more organic and widespread earned media. It is through the connections and limitless amount of detail in Cision Communications Cloud's contact database that we are able now more than ever able to connect with cultural and nonprofit organizations we may have never otherwise spoken to.
  • Ease of Access. While other CRM software can get bogged down with high-level facts and figures, Cision is able to provide the same information more intuitively.
  • In-depth data. It's great being able to track readership and monetary value of earned media as well as review engagement with widespread emails for that it provides the user with an idea of how to better strategize and personalize what we send.
  • The onboarding process. An extremely thorough and friendly onboarding process made learning the ins and outs of Cision Communications Cloud a breeze.
  • Mailing Lists. The functionality of creating new mailing lists without downloading and uploading an edited template is not as clear as it should.
  • Emails. The amount of unrelated emails you get when signing up is a bit of an annoyance.
  • Hidden features. It's confusing for some users when options/elements are presented yet when they go to click to use them it just brings them to a page to buy said elements. If you could either cross them out or make them a different color to show that they aren't accessible, that would clear up that confusion.
For companies that are aware of having a product, message, or mission that is bigger and more relatable or transferable to just their immediate surroundings I'd highly recommend Cision Communications Cloud. If a company is simply looking for an email marketing platform or social media management tool, I'd say that unless you have money to make the initial investment to maybe hold off until the business does indeed have that bigger scope/audience.
June 18, 2020

A few thoughts on CISION

It's used by the Marketing Department, specifically Media Relations. We utilize the PR element of Cision for dissemination of media releases and related information, for researching key media outlets and personnel, for daily media placement information, ROI, etc. We utilize the service every day and it has been key in helping reach target audiences.
  • Media distribution.
  • Media placement.
  • Research.
  • Media lists need to be updated more regularly.
  • Expansion of media clips to include video versus having to retain a separate service.
  • Cost is exorbitant.
As I've often said, if I were a carpenter, Cision would be my hammer, nails, saw, and wood. It makes my job in media possible; over the 20+ years we've used it, it's been a huge help in building media relationships and distributing media to our target audiences. Use it daily. Specifically media distribution and services like HARO.
June 18, 2020

Cision: Media relations and monitoring

Our team is able to see what everyone is working on. We can see who is sending emails to which writers and outlets so there is no duplication of work and confusion to editors and publishers receiving multiple pitches.
  • Media database.
  • Media monitoring.
  • Article sentiment.
  • Article tagging.

Cision is great for finding writers and media outlets for story pitches. It makes it easy to compile mailing lists and reach new audiences.

The monitoring service can be cumbersome, especially with story toning and tagging. We get thousands of articles and broadcasts a month through the service. Cataloging it all takes time and patience.

June 17, 2020

Cision is the best

Cision is being used across my entire organization - mainly amongst the PR team. It helps us find media contacts, monitor and analyze coverage.
  • Media contacts in different industries.
  • Filtering contact searches.
  • Tracking pitch opens and metrics.
  • Mass pitches.
  • Updating email addresses.
  • Making sure all coverage is picked up with monitoring tool.
Cision is great for creating media lists and segmenting them by different publication types and industries. I also love using it for mass pitching and tracking the contacts to see who has opened it up. For coverage - it doesn't always pick up every link especially if a publication is subscription based.
June 16, 2020

Cision Review

We use it to monitor media hits and seek out specific publications relevant to our industry, then pitch ideas to them. It's a good way to help us find publications to reach our core audience that we never knew existed. It's a great way to help us position our company as thought leaders within the industry.
  • Media monitoring.
  • Media searches.
  • Social monitoring.
  • Better geographical searches.
  • Require more HARO details.
  • Require more Ed Calendar details.
It's a good tool to help find trades and specific publications to best help reach our audience. It makes all the difference in looking for new publications that reach our core audience within our industry. It helps us position ourselves as thought leaders within our industry and on a global stage.
August 28, 2020

Cision Communications Cloud is Easy to Use

We used it for media monitoring purposes since our faculty members typically get a lot of press surrounding their research. Just the marketing team used it, but other individuals did have access. This system allowed us to compile a list of media mentions and place brief summaries on our website.
  • Email communication
  • Monitoring
  • None
We found it useful but it didn't always do a good job at catching media mentions. We used this in conjunction with Google Alerts because not everything would show up in Cision. Our non-marketing colleagues had a little bit of a difficult time learning how to use the platform for their own purposes.

About Cision Communications Cloud

CIsion Communications Cloud is used for identifying key media and influencers, connecting with audiences, monitoring traditional and social media, and analyzing outcomes.

Cision Communications Cloud Technical Details