Clio

Clio Clio Clio

We utilize Clio and Clio Grow for overall client management and billing. total use for client data, contacts, billing, trust management

Clio- an overview

$59

Boutique

$69

What is Clio?

Clio is web-based legal practice management software for solo practitioners and small firms. It is designed to replace multiple different systems (like document management, case management, and accounting software) to streamline the amount of technology that small firms need to manage.

Clio Technical Details

Alternatives

Adolfo Villadiego | TrustRadius Reviewer
Clio represents a cutting-edge solution for all those law firms that require a practical solution to speed up the status of all legal processes that are carried out on a daily basis, it is an excellent opportunity to keep all areas of the organization centralized giving greater control of what happens in the company.
  • The time savings that the use of Clio represents in our organisation can be easily determined, allowing us to cover more areas of work, increasing our productivity.
  • Invoicing from within the tool itself is a great solution for our customers to easily view their statements.
  • Initially the software can be complicated to integrate with all stages of the company, uploading the accounting was a manual method which gave us some headaches in setting up and automating the firm, some integrations still don't work quite right.
Clio could have automatic integration with emails to facilitate the work in the organisation, already allowing to work from anywhere is a great advantage, the inclusion of this integration would greatly improve the current potential of the tool.
Clio is our firm's practice management software, we use it to track matters, keep all our dates in a single place, to-dos, billing, and time tracking.
  • Billing
  • Matter management
  • Information in a single location
  • Communications between users.
  • Auto email integration
  • Better views for the to do list like Kanban board or timeline views.
Clio is fairly customizable and can be used for different practice areas. My firm is primarily an IP firm.
October 21, 2021

Clio Clio Clio

• client managment
  • document managment
  • electronic billing
  • trust accounting
  • operating account for nonrefundable retainer
  • inclusion of intake ability without adding on Clio Grow
  • texting to clients without having to add on other programs
Clio has a great deal of bells and whistles meaning it has the ability to do a lot, customize to your firms needs. However they are still missing up to date necessary remote work features like texting, video chatting etc within the platform
Clio is our principal CRM. We are a small 2-lawyer firm with no support staff and Clio (Manage + Grow) allows us to leverage technology solutions to better serve our client's needs. We manage cases, our calendar, get documents signed, track our time, issue bills, and accept payments all through Clio.
  • Time-tracking for billable work.
  • Issuing client bills.
  • [Client] intake.
  • Customization of the dashboard in Clio Manage Matters.
Clio is a wonderful practice management solution for small firms that do billable work. The Clio manage software is excellent for tracking your time at different rates, tracking matter budgets, and tracking expenses. Clio is also great for firms that want to implement and use tech in their offices. If clients are at least somewhat tech-savvy (have and know how to use email), they will also benefit and enjoy the implementation of Clio.
Andy Gross | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's used by the whole organization as the legal case management system. It's used for logging calls, logging emails, keeping track of deadlines, managing the calendar, managing contacts, and generating documents. It's a massive organizational tool that helps keep track of tasks and to-do items and keep track of time and expenses. It compliments QuickBooks Online and other enterprise software.
  • Time Tracking
  • Document Automation - Microsoft Word
  • Task Tracking
  • Calendar management
  • Electronic Signatures
  • Document Management - It doesn't do PDFs
  • Notes can be a bit disorganized
  • Doesn't track some things I need for certain case types (such as medical bills in Personal Injury cases)
On the whole, it is a good piece of software that is relatively easy to use. The customer service is quite good and the 24-hour support is great. The integrations are nice and easy to use. I think it provides a solid 70% solution to most law firms needs, but needs to be complimented by other software that integrates well into Clio. The built-in secure messaging and document signing for clients is great and really makes life easier and more efficient.
We migrated our Case Management systems from MyCase to Clio last year. The reason we made the switch is because after going through a demo of Clio we realized that it was more robust than MyCase and solved issues we were having with management of our cases and client development tracking. Though Clio is substantially more than MyCase, the flexibility and capability of the system is worth it. Its ability to integrate with other software we use was also a key factor in our decision to make the switch.
  • Provides an interface with NextChapter Bankruptcy.
  • Provides an interface with the forms on our website and landing pages to allow for easy transmission of potential clients into our Clio system from these sources with little human intervention.
  • Its billing, invoicing and payment integration makes the billing cycle for clients easier.
  • The level of spam protection on the forms interface for websites needs to be improved, as of late we have been getting a lot of spam forms from individuals either trying to scam the firm or sell the firm services.
  • It would be nice if there was just one log in for Clio Manage and Clio Grow instead of having to log into both.
  • It would be nice to have more control of the format of the invoices.
For solo and small practices Clio provides a lot of bang for the buck. Its billing and invoicing capabilities are very robust. Its integrations with other software packages, such as QuickBooks, Next Chapter, Mailchimp, etc. make it very easy to implement and grow marketing initiatives. It has the ability to create templates from existing documents that help improve efficiencies in creating client documents and keeping specific types of documents uniform. It has a logical flow to it. Even if you have never used it before and not gone through the onboarding process or tutorial videos, you can figure it out.
Shawn Hamp, Esq. | TrustRadius Reviewer
My law firm uses CLIO Grow as part of its intake process and as our CRM software.

Specifically, CLIO Grow is used by the intake department to manage new leads and potential new clients that contact our office. We have used CLIO Grow for several years when the software was first called Lexicata and then later acquired by CLIO and added to their suite of products.

CLIO Grow helps us manage our intake department by keeping track of new leads, their contact information, and notes made by the intake staff. This is basically the "SalesForce" of legal intake software. In addition, the software offers electronic document signing with a "HelloSign" integration and automatic email templates and delivery. There are also automated intake forms to send to prospective clients.

The software arranges leads in a Kanban style board to see how leads are processed in the "pipeline" of your intake system and procedures allowing the team to easily visualize the status of each new prospective client.

• "Kanban" style board
  • Automated Documents and Electronic Signatures
  • New Lead Contact Database
  • API software integrations
  • More Advanced Reporting and Data Statistics
  • Better Contact List Management and Export Options
CLIO Grow is an exceptional CRM for law firms to handle their intake system and potential new leads and clients. Intake staff and receptionists can easily add new leads and contact information into the system to keep track of them in a "Kanban" style pipeline to gather information and follow up with prospects.

New case leads can be categorized by case type, court location, and case value. Contact information can be easily gathered and intake forms and follow-up emails can be sent. CLIO Grow integrates with HelloSign to gather electronic signatures and fee agreements.

A complete intake system can be created with CLIO Grow which also includes an automated checklist for onboarding procedures.

CLIO Grow is ideal for larger intake teams with three or more users. It is far superior to a spreadsheet to keep track of leads because of its automated follow-up features.

Sarah Renfro | TrustRadius Reviewer
Clio is our firm wide client management system. It keeps us organized and on top of client deadlines and case developments.
  • Integrates easily with lots of other software applications.
  • Clio support has been extremely responsive and helpful in both resolving issues and just explaining different applications of the software.
  • There are regular (but short) issues that cause delays in load time and document creation.
With more and more employees working remotely, the Communications and Notes in Clio have been essential in keeping everyone in the office up to date on client developments.
Jeanie Watt | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our firm uses Clio across our organization for our large client database. My particular role with Clio is the accounting side - I track client invoices, expenses and fees, as well as A/P and WIP reporting to the attorneys. The other members of the firm use Clio as a reliable tool for client case management.
  • Clio's customer service is prompt and always helpful.
  • Tracking client fees and expenses is easy in Clio.
  • Most any financial report desired can be found within Clio.
  • Currently we sync Clio with our accounting program Xero. Sometimes the sync doesn't happen (i.e. invoices) and I have to recreate them in Xero. It would be helpful if Clio had its own full-service accounting program.
  • Sometimes find a matter within a client is unnecessarily difficult - all matters associated with a client should be easily discoverable.
  • A minor issue - but I would like the ability to move calendar items around or reduce the box size surrounding appointments.
Clio is great for case management, fees/expense tracking, invoicing and financial reporting. It is a great software tool for small to medium law firms. The editing options available in invoicing are particularly helpful - for instance, adding a discount to certain bills. On the downside, a second accounting program is necessary which needs the ability to sync with Clio.
Stephen Shepard | TrustRadius Reviewer
My entire organization uses Clio to fully manage our cases, scheduling, document automation and storage, client communication, and more at an affordable price.
  • Integrations. Without integrations, Clio does not stand out much from other platforms.
  • Document Management. Clio has a robust and easy to use document generation and storage system.
  • Support. Clio has easy to access and helpful customer support during normal business hours.
  • Integrative Partners. Clio has 116 integrative partners presently. However, Clio does very little to promote those "partners."
  • Finances. Clio's financial features (trust and operating) are due for an overhaul.
  • Reception to User Feedback. Clio needs to pay more attention to user feedback. Clio, like Google, is growing to a point where it feels like the users' voice is not heard.
Clio is well-suited for solo to midsize firms looking for an affordable case management platform with a large number of integrations.
Danielle Huntley | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Clio to manage the administrative side of my immigration law practice. Clio shines in its integrations and billing. The biggest business problem it addresses for me is making billing an efficient process. My invoices always look professional and they are easy to create. I also like the integration with LawPay. It makes it very easy for my clients to take care of their invoices.
  • Professional and efficient invoice creation
  • Secure platform
  • Integrations with other applications
  • The interface is a little clunky
  • Could do better on how matter views look, while you can create as many fields as you want, the way it looks makes it hard to see the info easily
  • Document integration with Google Drive could be better
It's the best platform I've found that doesn't require enterprise level IT infrastructure but is robust for its price point. It has great integrations with other applications. I haven't found anything better. I think the GUI could be improved and I think it could take some queues from practice management platforms like Asana or Trello.
April 27, 2018

Clio- an overview

Jeremy Abrams | TrustRadius Reviewer
Clio is being used as an all-access tool. We put in our clients, their matters, all activities related to them, and can generate bills straight from the software. It even has communication built in where you can send messages to one another regarding a particular matter.
  • Matter generation
  • Client bases
  • Bill creation
  • Simplicity
  • Making communication easier
  • Allowing for the uploading of documents
Clio is particularly well suited for a smaller firm where people can hand a file back and forth and you don't have to rely on working on the same document online. It makes billing quick and easy if all the time is put in by the attorney or secretary in an efficient manner. Things would get far too complicated and slow with a larger firm.
Brad Pearce | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a sole practitioner, so it is used by my whole organization. I convinced a friend, who is a partner in a collection law firm who does not do collection work, to try Clio. He, his paralegal and his secretary use Clio separate and apart from all the other attorneys, paralegals and staff in the firm without problem. Of course there is some duplication (conflicts databases), and he has another partner handle files for him when he is on vacation who who does not have Clio, but those are small inconveniences.
  • Timekeeping. All I have to do is open Clio in the morning and press the "start timekeeping" button if I am too lazy to type in a few words.
  • Billing. The new interface is really easy to use.
  • Calendar. I use two calendars for deadlines, etc. My G-Suites calendar and Clio.
  • Document management. It's still far easier for me to create Word templates and just use Word.
  • Centralized filing of client files. Like I said, I use Word. I work on a Mac and use Mac's tag structure. Clio should find a way to gather all files that have a certain tag and allow me to access them through Clio. Instead, I use Hazel and Dropbox.
  • Case planning and budgeting. I use OmniFocus for project management, a self-created Excel spreadsheet for project budgeting and a cloud-based service for Gantt charts. How hard would it be to add robust project management tools to Clio?
  • Search feature for stored documents and information. Evernote has Clio beat hands-down, but I don't put client-sensitive information (only caselaw) on Evernote.
  • Case notes. This feature may be useful for high-volume practices, but I never use it.
Clio is perfect for solo practitioners and small firms. I handle a small number of complex cases, and it takes care of timekeeping and invoicing. I think it would be outstanding in a high-volume practice (criminal law, Social Security, personal injury, WHA practices).
Rather than talk in generalities, I'll give two specific examples.

First, after updating my OS, I got locked out of Clio. I was back in, up and running, with no loss of data, within an hour thanks to Clio customer support.

Second, I made some specific recommendation for features that I thought would be useful. Those recommendations fell in a black hole, with the suggestion that I try a very buggy third party integration app. Clio is making lots of money from lawyers using its software. Why can't Clio create the integrations and test them if Clio is not willing to build them into its platform?
Jason Ramsland | TrustRadius Reviewer
Clio is our practice management software - we use it across much of the firm to manage our client contact database, document database, it integrates with our calendaring; we use it to sort things by matters, and we use it to record time and prepare our bills. It does a serviceable job with many of these things, though we'd like to see it do some additional things. It solves the problem of having a coherent and consistent platform for managing clients, contacts, matters, time entry and billing.
  • Clio is great at being accessible in a lot of places - it's accessible anywhere.
  • Clio does a good job at allowing time entry - it's particularly easy to enter time onto Clio.
  • Clio does a good job at maintaining consistent access to client files and info related to them. I can count on one hand the number of times it's been slow to respond in the past year.
  • The billing screen is serviceable but unwieldy. It is hard to get your bills to look the way that you want in many cases.
  • The document management process could stand some improvement. In order to manipulate a document, you have to download it, work on it, then re-upload the new version. I'd like a local client or a seamless way to edit and then automatically see the update taken into Clio.
  • The task entry is good but not great. I'd like to see a way to have it integrate into my iPhone's reminders list.
  • The QuickBooks Online sync has been a constant source of frustration for our bookkeeper, who has to monitor daily and hardly ever goes a day without an item failing to sync.
The smaller the practice, the better Clio is for you.

The newer the practice, the better Clio is for you.

The tech-savvier the practice, the better Clio is for you.

For practices that involve a great deal of repetitive work, the document automation functions would be just wonderful.

Clio is lousy for debt collection practice - there just is no feasible way to make the collection process work, particularly from a billing and collection standpoint. There is no way to track the debtor's ledger effectively. Not well supported by Clio either.

The mobile app is super clunky. I keep it on my iPhone and iPad because it's the only way to move a file into Clio from those places. But otherwise, I just use the web interface from my mobile devices.
November 06, 2017

Love Clio

Leslie Lelii | TrustRadius Reviewer
Clio is used by our entire organization. We have several employees who telecommute and most of the other lawyers and staff work in one of our other office locations or at client offices and Clio allows us to access everything we need quickly, easily and on the go.
  • Access the calendars of everyone in the firm. We can schedule remotely and share with the entire team.
  • Manage tasks. We have our task lists, we can assign tasks, notify via email and get notified when a task is complete. We also track the tasks by matter so we can instantly see what everyone is working on.
  • Track contacts and conflicts. Everyone in the firm can access the full contact database anywhere, any time. We can instantly check for conflicts - even when out of the office
  • I love the firm feed. It allows us to see the activities of anyone and everyone in the firm. Very helpful when trying to track down who made a change or added/removed items from the file. Now that they also have a firm feed my matter it is even more useful and dynamic.
  • Clio's sync with One Drive makes it so much easier to access a document when working from home, at a client office or other remote location.
  • I love that we can create cascading task lists, I just wish it would work backwards and create tasks working back from a closing date instead of working forward.
  • I would love if there was an easy way to generate an invoice without detail for flat fee matters.
  • We have had issues with then document sync breaking since the upgrade began and wish they could fix it and we would get back the reliability we used to have. Documents are still there, just takes more oversight and patience for the sync.
Clio is great for anyone who does work outside the office. Being able to access everything you need remotely is the biggest selling point and what makes it the most valuable software for the firm. I don't like that we cannot choose the tier of service by user, we have to upgrade all users to get upgraded functionality when only a handful of people will use that functionality. Really punishes firms as they grow.
Trevor Casperson | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is the central software for my practice. It tracks billing, client info, and tasks. I rely on Clio to make my practice of law easier and as I add more professionals they will also use it.
  • Time Management
  • Speed of use
  • Ease of use
  • UI
  • Streamlining
  • Analytics
My star rating is based on my use of the new version of Clio which debited in September to a select group of users. Clio is well suited to law practice management. That is what it is designed to do and it does it well from my use. I have noticed that since I began using the new system, they have addressed many of the issues I once had with the new clio, which is nice.
November 03, 2017

Why I love Clio

Stephanie Saxton | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work in the defense litigation department for a mortgage servicer. We use Clio for our in-house counsel group to manage our matters. This allows us to keep all documents, case notes, contacts, tasks, reminders, and calendared events in one place. We also use it to calendar and as a document repository.
  • Clio allows me to drag and drop documents from emails without having to upload and save.
  • Clio allows for extensive organization of all the different material associated with a litigated file.
  • Clio has a massive space to store our documents. We have never experienced slowness, or a down day, or missing docs.
  • Reporting features. Although Clio has made several recent adjustments, and additions --- the ability to pull only specific info for reporting purposes is still extremely basic and not very user-friendly.
  • It would be nice to be able to change what is actually placed on the dashboard.
Clio is extremely powerful, yet still inexpensive. It is a great tool if you are on the go but want to have everything at your fingertips.
The support team is very knowledgeable, and efficient. The process is fast and we have always been able to find a resolution.
December 27, 2017

Clio, an honest revievw

Clio is the practice management and billing system. It is used by all firm members and they love the mobile app.
  • Clio is easy to use.
  • It meets all of the security requirements.
  • It makes billing very easy.
  • The one drive integration is not functional for a large organization. The shared folder has limitations that are only avoided through the local sync.
  • There is no good Outlook integration. The software itself has a secure communication portal, but nothing beats standard of Outlook.
  • I'd like to see Clio develop its own integration with Word and Outlook. Right now saving documents to Clio, without OneDrive, involves an upload process. You can not save directly to Clio from Word.
  • Need a better way to sort and managed matters with lots of custom data in the matter view. Right now this data is organized as it is entered, but it is not sortable.
Clio is an amazing software with excellent support. It makes many processes easier like billing, contact management, document merge and custom fields. However, better integration with Office would continue to improve the software.