https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/AH/5H/Z3SJSQ0H1MTO.JPEGClio is Growing, But is it in a Good Way?My entire organization uses Clio to fully manage our cases, scheduling, document automation and storage, client communication, and more at an affordable price.,Integrations. Without integrations, Clio does not stand out much from other platforms. Document Management. Clio has a robust and easy to use document generation and storage system. Support. Clio has easy to access and helpful customer support during normal business hours.,Integrative Partners. Clio has 116 integrative partners presently. However, Clio does very little to promote those "partners." Finances. Clio's financial features (trust and operating) are due for an overhaul. Reception to User Feedback. Clio needs to pay more attention to user feedback. Clio, like Google, is growing to a point where it feels like the users' voice is not heard.,9,Clio is priced at a little above the market average, but not by much.,MyCase and PracticePanther Law Practice Management,QuickBooks OnlineClio is great for law firms focused on automation and efficiency!I use Clio to manage the administrative side of my immigration law practice. Clio shines in its integrations and billing. The biggest business problem it addresses for me is making billing an efficient process. My invoices always look professional and they are easy to create. I also like the integration with LawPay. It makes it very easy for my clients to take care of their invoices.,Professional and efficient invoice creation Secure platform Integrations with other applications,The interface is a little clunky Could do better on how matter views look, while you can create as many fields as you want, the way it looks makes it hard to see the info easily Document integration with Google Drive could be better,9,Easy invoicing Decent client interface for sharing documents The clunky interface can be frustrating - particularly if you are used to more sophisticated apps For legal tech it's decent,Rocket Matter,Nimble, RightSignature, Todoist,1Clio- an overviewClio is being used as an all-access tool. We put in our clients, their matters, all activities related to them, and can generate bills straight from the software. It even has communication built in where you can send messages to one another regarding a particular matter.,Matter generation Client bases Bill creation,Simplicity Making communication easier Allowing for the uploading of documents,7,Allows for better projections Simplifies client organization Doesn't allow for as much collaberationClio, an honest revievwClio is the practice management and billing system. It is used by all firm members and they love the mobile app.,Clio is easy to use. It meets all of the security requirements. It makes billing very easy.,The one drive integration is not functional for a large organization. The shared folder has limitations that are only avoided through the local sync. There is no good Outlook integration. The software itself has a secure communication portal, but nothing beats standard of Outlook. I'd like to see Clio develop its own integration with Word and Outlook. Right now saving documents to Clio, without OneDrive, involves an upload process. You can not save directly to Clio from Word. Need a better way to sort and managed matters with lots of custom data in the matter view. Right now this data is organized as it is entered, but it is not sortable.,9,Improved mobility though cloud access and excellent mobile app. Billing process is streamlined. Clients can make payments electronically through the Clio portal! Needs the ability to better sort and organize custom data.,,Actionstep, Amicus Attorney, Clio, LexisNexis Time Matters, NetDocuments, Microsoft Office 365, MS SharePointThe "gold standard" cloud based law practice management softwareI am a sole practitioner, so it is used by my whole organization. I convinced a friend, who is a partner in a collection law firm who does not do collection work, to try Clio. He, his paralegal and his secretary use Clio separate and apart from all the other attorneys, paralegals and staff in the firm without problem. Of course there is some duplication (conflicts databases), and he has another partner handle files for him when he is on vacation who who does not have Clio, but those are small inconveniences.,Timekeeping. All I have to do is open Clio in the morning and press the "start timekeeping" button if I am too lazy to type in a few words. Billing. The new interface is really easy to use. Calendar. I use two calendars for deadlines, etc. My G-Suites calendar and Clio.,Document management. It's still far easier for me to create Word templates and just use Word. Centralized filing of client files. Like I said, I use Word. I work on a Mac and use Mac's tag structure. Clio should find a way to gather all files that have a certain tag and allow me to access them through Clio. Instead, I use Hazel and DropBox. Case planning and budgeting. I use OmniFocus for project management, a self-created Excel spreadsheet for project budgeting and a cloud-based service for Gantt charts. How hard would it be to add robust project management tools to Clio? Search feature for stored documents and information. Evernote has Clio beat hands-down, but I don't put client-sensitive information (only caselaw) on Evernote. Case notes. This feature may be useful for high-volume practices, but I never use it.,8,Positive -- I can see how far ahead or behind of budget I am in terms of WIP, invoicing and collections. Positive -- super-easy timekeeping . Positive -- easy invoicing,MyCase,Microsoft Office 365, OmniFocus, Adobe Acrobat DC, Evernote, Dropbox,8,No,Yes, when I got locked out after upgrading my OS. The problem was resolved after two or three emails and a call from Clio customer service.
Clio

Clio Reviews

Clio
Filter 13 vetted Clio reviews and ratings
Stephen Shepard profile photo
August 21, 2018

Review: "Clio is Growing, But is it in a Good Way?"

• Integrations. Without integrations, Clio does not stand out much from other platforms.
  • Document Management. Clio has a robust and easy to use document generation and storage system.
  • Support. Clio has easy to access and helpful customer support during normal business hours.
  • Integrative Partners. Clio has 116 integrative partners presently. However, Clio does very little to promote those "partners."
  • Finances. Clio's financial features (trust and operating) are due for an overhaul.
  • Reception to User Feedback. Clio needs to pay more attention to user feedback. Clio, like Google, is growing to a point where it feels like the users' voice is not heard.
Clio is well-suited for solo to midsize firms looking for an affordable case management platform with a large number of integrations.
Read Stephen Shepard's full review
Danielle Huntley profile photo
June 20, 2018

Review: "Clio is great for law firms focused on automation and efficiency!"

• Professional and efficient invoice creation
  • Secure platform
  • Integrations with other applications
  • The interface is a little clunky
  • Could do better on how matter views look, while you can create as many fields as you want, the way it looks makes it hard to see the info easily
  • Document integration with Google Drive could be better
It's the best platform I've found that doesn't require enterprise level IT infrastructure but is robust for its price point. It has great integrations with other applications. I haven't found anything better. I think the GUI could be improved and I think it could take some queues from practice management platforms like Asana or Trello.
Read Danielle Huntley's full review
Jeremy Abrams profile photo
April 27, 2018

User Review: "Clio- an overview"

• Matter generation
  • Client bases
  • Bill creation
  • Simplicity
  • Making communication easier
  • Allowing for the uploading of documents
Clio is particularly well suited for a smaller firm where people can hand a file back and forth and you don't have to rely on working on the same document online. It makes billing quick and easy if all the time is put in by the attorney or secretary in an efficient manner. Things would get far too complicated and slow with a larger firm.
Read Jeremy Abrams's full review
December 27, 2017

User Review: "Clio, an honest revievw"

• Clio is easy to use.
  • It meets all of the security requirements.
  • It makes billing very easy.
  • The one drive integration is not functional for a large organization. The shared folder has limitations that are only avoided through the local sync.
  • There is no good Outlook integration. The software itself has a secure communication portal, but nothing beats standard of Outlook.
  • I'd like to see Clio develop its own integration with Word and Outlook. Right now saving documents to Clio, without OneDrive, involves an upload process. You can not save directly to Clio from Word.
  • Need a better way to sort and managed matters with lots of custom data in the matter view. Right now this data is organized as it is entered, but it is not sortable.
Clio is an amazing software with excellent support. It makes many processes easier like billing, contact management, document merge and custom fields. However, better integration with Office would continue to improve the software.
Brad Pearce profile photo
November 20, 2017

Clio Review: "The "gold standard" cloud based law practice management software"

• Timekeeping. All I have to do is open Clio in the morning and press the "start timekeeping" button if I am too lazy to type in a few words.
  • Billing. The new interface is really easy to use.
  • Calendar. I use two calendars for deadlines, etc. My G-Suites calendar and Clio.
  • Document management. It's still far easier for me to create Word templates and just use Word.
  • Centralized filing of client files. Like I said, I use Word. I work on a Mac and use Mac's tag structure. Clio should find a way to gather all files that have a certain tag and allow me to access them through Clio. Instead, I use Hazel and Dropbox.
  • Case planning and budgeting. I use OmniFocus for project management, a self-created Excel spreadsheet for project budgeting and a cloud-based service for Gantt charts. How hard would it be to add robust project management tools to Clio?
  • Search feature for stored documents and information. Evernote has Clio beat hands-down, but I don't put client-sensitive information (only caselaw) on Evernote.
  • Case notes. This feature may be useful for high-volume practices, but I never use it.
Clio is perfect for solo practitioners and small firms. I handle a small number of complex cases, and it takes care of timekeeping and invoicing. I think it would be outstanding in a high-volume practice (criminal law, Social Security, personal injury, WHA practices).
Read Brad Pearce's full review
Jason Ramsland profile photo
October 30, 2017

Review: "Clio - pretty good, pretty close, not quite there but on its way."

Clio is our practice management software - we use it across much of the firm to manage our client contact database, document database, it integrates with our calendaring; we use it to sort things by matters, and we use it to record time and prepare our bills. It does a serviceable job with many of these things, though we'd like to see it do some additional things. It solves the problem of having a coherent and consistent platform for managing clients, contacts, matters, time entry and billing.
  • Clio is great at being accessible in a lot of places - it's accessible anywhere.
  • Clio does a good job at allowing time entry - it's particularly easy to enter time onto Clio.
  • Clio does a good job at maintaining consistent access to client files and info related to them. I can count on one hand the number of times it's been slow to respond in the past year.
  • The billing screen is serviceable but unwieldy. It is hard to get your bills to look the way that you want in many cases.
  • The document management process could stand some improvement. In order to manipulate a document, you have to download it, work on it, then re-upload the new version. I'd like a local client or a seamless way to edit and then automatically see the update taken into Clio.
  • The task entry is good but not great. I'd like to see a way to have it integrate into my iPhone's reminders list.
  • The QuickBooks Online sync has been a constant source of frustration for our bookkeeper, who has to monitor daily and hardly ever goes a day without an item failing to sync.
The smaller the practice, the better Clio is for you.

The newer the practice, the better Clio is for you.

The tech-savvier the practice, the better Clio is for you.

For practices that involve a great deal of repetitive work, the document automation functions would be just wonderful.

Clio is lousy for debt collection practice - there just is no feasible way to make the collection process work, particularly from a billing and collection standpoint. There is no way to track the debtor's ledger effectively. Not well supported by Clio either.

The mobile app is super clunky. I keep it on my iPhone and iPad because it's the only way to move a file into Clio from those places. But otherwise, I just use the web interface from my mobile devices.
Read Jason Ramsland's full review
Leslie Lelii profile photo
November 06, 2017

User Review: "Love Clio"

Clio is used by our entire organization. We have several employees who telecommute and most of the other lawyers and staff work in one of our other office locations or at client offices and Clio allows us to access everything we need quickly, easily and on the go.
  • Access the calendars of everyone in the firm. We can schedule remotely and share with the entire team.
  • Manage tasks. We have our task lists, we can assign tasks, notify via email and get notified when a task is complete. We also track the tasks by matter so we can instantly see what everyone is working on.
  • Track contacts and conflicts. Everyone in the firm can access the full contact database anywhere, any time. We can instantly check for conflicts - even when out of the office
  • I love the firm feed. It allows us to see the activities of anyone and everyone in the firm. Very helpful when trying to track down who made a change or added/removed items from the file. Now that they also have a firm feed my matter it is even more useful and dynamic.
  • Clio's sync with One Drive makes it so much easier to access a document when working from home, at a client office or other remote location.
  • I love that we can create cascading task lists, I just wish it would work backwards and create tasks working back from a closing date instead of working forward.
  • I would love if there was an easy way to generate an invoice without detail for flat fee matters.
  • We have had issues with then document sync breaking since the upgrade began and wish they could fix it and we would get back the reliability we used to have. Documents are still there, just takes more oversight and patience for the sync.
Clio is great for anyone who does work outside the office. Being able to access everything you need remotely is the biggest selling point and what makes it the most valuable software for the firm. I don't like that we cannot choose the tier of service by user, we have to upgrade all users to get upgraded functionality when only a handful of people will use that functionality. Really punishes firms as they grow.
Read Leslie Lelii's full review
Trevor Casperson profile photo
November 03, 2017

Review: "Clio is a great practice management software, and I highly recommend it."

It is the central software for my practice. It tracks billing, client info, and tasks. I rely on Clio to make my practice of law easier and as I add more professionals they will also use it.
  • Time Management
  • Speed of use
  • Ease of use
  • UI
  • Streamlining
  • Analytics
My star rating is based on my use of the new version of Clio which debited in September to a select group of users.

Clio is well suited to law practice management. That is what it is designed to do and it does it well from my use. I have noticed that since I began using the new system, they have addressed many of the issues I once had with the new clio, which is nice.
Read Trevor Casperson's full review
Stephanie Saxton profile photo
November 03, 2017

User Review: "Why I love Clio"

I work in the defense litigation department for a mortgage servicer. We use Clio for our in-house counsel group to manage our matters. This allows us to keep all documents, case notes, contacts, tasks, reminders, and calendared events in one place. We also use it to calendar and as a document repository.
  • Clio allows me to drag and drop documents from emails without having to upload and save.
  • Clio allows for extensive organization of all the different material associated with a litigated file.
  • Clio has a massive space to store our documents. We have never experienced slowness, or a down day, or missing docs.
  • Reporting features. Although Clio has made several recent adjustments, and additions --- the ability to pull only specific info for reporting purposes is still extremely basic and not very user-friendly.
  • It would be nice to be able to change what is actually placed on the dashboard.
Clio is extremely powerful, yet still inexpensive. It is a great tool if you are on the go but want to have everything at your fingertips.
Read Stephanie Saxton's full review

About Clio

Clio is web-based legal practice management software for solo practitioners and small firms. It is designed to replace multiple different systems (like document management, case management, and accounting software) to streamline the amount of technology that small firms need to manage.

Clio Technical Details