August 15, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
We use CloudCheckr to monitor our AWS environments for cost, inventory, utilization, and security. It addresses the monitoring of configuration in AWS and provides recommendations for cost savings, security best practices, and where we can make better decisions around our usage. We use the alerts and reports to feed our centralized monitoring and reporting system to catch misconfigurations and unusual cost usage on a daily basis. With things like S3 buckets being the number one data breach vector in AWS, it is great to have a piece of mind that something is watching to make sure we don’t expose data incorrectly. It also provides a multi-account view which is great for that single pane of glass view of the estate.
- Monitor costs and provide alerts when they deviate from normal usage.
- Provide security best practices and alert on misconfigurations.
- Monitor utilisation and recommend more appropriate instance sizes and reserved instance purchases.
- Provide a single pane of glass view for multiple accounts in AWS.
- There are so many options that you can feel a little lost at the time, but training, documentation and a great support team are on hand.
- Would like to be able to do detailed training and certification, but I understand this may be on the way.
- Provide more real-time monitoring.
Read Matthew White's full review
CloudCheckr is fantastic for those that are purely in the Cloud as it provides everything you need under one roof for a comprehensive configuration and usage monitoring tool. It has SysLog capabilities though so you can farm out the alerts into a SIEM or other log management system, so hybrid environments could also benefit from its use.