Codeship is a build automation platform from the Austrian company of the same name.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/2b/Gf/KO5ZFXVWJ0MM.JPEGReview of Codeship from the perspective of overall reliability in a small development teamAt our company we use Codeship as part of our suite of devops tools to deliver web sites/apps to our various cloud servers. It has helped significantly streamline and speed up our deployment process to any of our clients' servers for development, staging, and actual production servers.,Codeship provides a set of tools for quickly creating and building our deployment artifacts and push them to the designated servers. Codeship's hooks allows our developers to simply push tags from our git repositories to initiate a deployment of code to a server. No one outside of the devops team needs any expertise to get our code packages delivered. Codeship allows us to tie in behat and unit tests easily to prevent delivery of buggy code.,The only real gripe I have with Codeship is with regards to its single sign-on experience within the website. Occasionally I accidentally try to sign in with my GitHub account instead of my Bitbucket account. By the time I realize the error, it is stuck in a transition state that it does not let me "sign out of". This is fixed by clearing cookies, but it would be nice to see some sort of sign out option before you are fully signed in.,9,Faster code pushes with less headaches has led to better efficiency as well as reduced frustration within the development team.,Acquia Platform, Travis CI and Gitlab,Drupal, WordPress, Acquia PlatformWhy we use CodeshipWe use Codeship for most new projects, if we want to have a quick process to deploy from our version control system to staging or production environments. Codeship setup is quick and part of our common project bootstrap process: you can say that a project is correctly setup, if we can push code and have an updated infrastructure a few minutes later.,Quick setup for continuous integration: push to a specific branch and run deployment scripts to see updates on the corresponding environment We can quickly see if there is something wrong: whenever we make changes, Codeship runs the whole build and then tests the code before deploying to production. The default setting is to run build and test on all branches, so there is usually no feature branch with a red build that we are not aware of Deployment scripts are very easy to configure and with the limited (but powerful) setup options, we usually have a clear process that describes the deployment. This way everything is clear, even for engineers new to the project.,I would like to see a little bit more than the green/red status. If there are tests, it would be good to see how many have failed on a red build. To improve build times (and reduce feedback times), it would be good to see how long build, tests, and deployment take over time. An overview like that could very easily point to potential areas of improvement. I think Codeship users do not want to bother with the build process, but, if there is anything to improve and increase productivity it's very unlikely that users wouldn't want to do this.,10,We have a few small projects with different developers and Codeship shows everyone clearly, if something work, or if it doesn't. In one small project with a team of three developers, we have configured two builds and it takes 2-5 minutes for everyone on the team to push changes to an infrastructure handling a little over 3M users.,CircleCI and BitbucketLife is easer with Codeship!I'm using Codeship for continuous integration and deployment of my personal front end and node projects. Codeship integrates great with Bitbucket and GitHub. It's saves a lot of time with deploys and tests.,Easy and fast deployment A lot of tool integrations (Slack, GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab) Getting tests to run is fast and easy,Copeship is an external service, I can't install it inside our company's private network I can't use it for free for my private repos No open source support,10,I have only positive experiences of using Codeship for my projects.,,Jenkins, Visual Studio IDESimple and Intuitive Tool for Continuous DeliveryCodeship is used for simple CI and CD strategies for our small research and development projects. Whenever a new research project is 'bootstrapped' we instantly launch a git repository along with a codeship instance for the project thereof. There, we create our strategies for making sure our acceptance and functional tests are run before the code gets shipped onto production or onto a staging server. It's solely used by our development department, specifically by those involved in the research and development tasks.,Build Automation: It's no longer necessary to run many other tools along with the git push command. Continuous Integration: We were finally able to achieve K.I.S.S. [keep it simple, stupid] methodology at our development environment. Continuous Deployment: If everything looks good, it no longer needs to be sitting there, waiting for some other bureaucratic task sequence to be run in order to get deployed.,UX: The overall UX is not bad, but it still needs a lot of improvement. It took me quite a while to realize that in order to switch projects I needed to press my current project name so a dropdown would appear. Integration with bitbucket is somewhat hidden from the users's hands. Got to make some improvements there.,9,Having the code tested thoroughly. While it's obviously a part of the job that still requires the developer to sit down and to actually have some decent and thorough tests implemented, by using codeship we were able to guarantee 100% that our code was being tested each and every time it got commited and pushed onto our repositories. Leading to a faster, shorter and sure implementation iterative cycle. Fewer 'man in the middle' processes which required more steps and people involved just to get the code shipped onto our deployment servers. Almost inexistent learning curve. Codeship is simple to use and very intuitive. Nobody in our development department had a hard time figuring out how to have it properly configured for each new project created there.,Bitbucket, Gitlab and JenkinsSince we started using Codeship our deployments are more faster.Basically we use Codeship for continuous deployment automation of our main public website and other internal web applications. Codeship is used by our IT department to ensure our code is reliable before sending it to production.,Pretty easy to set up. Great documentation. Can be integrated with top tech companies.,User Interface.,10,Docker, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service), Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server
Codeship

Codeship Reviews

Codeship
Filter 10 vetted Codeship reviews and ratings
Alex Lada profile photo
November 15, 2018

"Review of Codeship from the perspective of overall reliability in a small development team"

• Codeship provides a set of tools for quickly creating and building our deployment artifacts and push them to the designated servers.
  • Codeship's hooks allows our developers to simply push tags from our git repositories to initiate a deployment of code to a server. No one outside of the devops team needs any expertise to get our code packages delivered.
  • Codeship allows us to tie in behat and unit tests easily to prevent delivery of buggy code.
  • The only real gripe I have with Codeship is with regards to its single sign-on experience within the website. Occasionally I accidentally try to sign in with my GitHub account instead of my Bitbucket account. By the time I realize the error, it is stuck in a transition state that it does not let me "sign out of". This is fixed by clearing cookies, but it would be nice to see some sort of sign out option before you are fully signed in.
Codeship is very well suited to teams that have specialized devops members along with other specialized developers. It lets the other developers focus on what they do best, without having to learn another technology stack. This has cut down on a lot of headaches at our company with developers needing to deploy code to various different hosting services across different content management systems. The experience to push code is essentially the same for a developer no matter what the underlying technology is.
Read Alex Lada's full review
Kariem Hussein profile photo
April 10, 2018

User Review: "Why we use Codeship"

• Quick setup for continuous integration: push to a specific branch and run deployment scripts to see updates on the corresponding environment
  • We can quickly see if there is something wrong: whenever we make changes, Codeship runs the whole build and then tests the code before deploying to production. The default setting is to run build and test on all branches, so there is usually no feature branch with a red build that we are not aware of
  • Deployment scripts are very easy to configure and with the limited (but powerful) setup options, we usually have a clear process that describes the deployment. This way everything is clear, even for engineers new to the project.
  • I would like to see a little bit more than the green/red status. If there are tests, it would be good to see how many have failed on a red build.
  • To improve build times (and reduce feedback times), it would be good to see how long build, tests, and deployment take over time. An overview like that could very easily point to potential areas of improvement. I think Codeship users do not want to bother with the build process, but, if there is anything to improve and increase productivity it's very unlikely that users wouldn't want to do this.
If your project is hosted on GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket or something similar and you want to have a quick setup with CI, you should definitely use Codeship. The setup is quick and builds are running very quickly
Read Kariem Hussein's full review
Maxim Milovanov profile photo
March 30, 2017

User Review: "Life is easer with Codeship!"

• Easy and fast deployment
  • A lot of tool integrations (Slack, GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab)
  • Getting tests to run is fast and easy
  • Copeship is an external service, I can't install it inside our company's private network
  • I can't use it for free for my private repos
  • No open source support
Codeship is great for deploying open source personal projects, but it can't be used for internal projects. It's really hard to convince a manager to use an external tool.
Read Maxim Milovanov's full review
Claudio Fernando Maciel profile photo
December 08, 2016

Codeship Review: "Simple and Intuitive Tool for Continuous Delivery"

• Build Automation: It's no longer necessary to run many other tools along with the git push command.
  • Continuous Integration: We were finally able to achieve K.I.S.S. [keep it simple, stupid] methodology at our development environment.
  • Continuous Deployment: If everything looks good, it no longer needs to be sitting there, waiting for some other bureaucratic task sequence to be run in order to get deployed.
  • UX: The overall UX is not bad, but it still needs a lot of improvement.
  • It took me quite a while to realize that in order to switch projects I needed to press my current project name so a dropdown would appear.
  • Integration with Bitbucket is somewhat hidden from the users's hands. Got to make some improvements there.
It is seemingly easy to use and has tons of different integrations. It also provides me a neat "trick" to skip the integration whenever it's necessary; simply by using a --skip-ci comment along with my git commits. It's easy to track the bug and promptly have it fixed, so it has my sped my development cycle a great deal. The overall UX is not bad, but it certainly needs some improvement. It needs to have the most repetitive tasks more 'hands on' than it is actually being displayed. Although I find it to be a very beautiful UX, it's a little hidden.
Read Claudio Fernando Maciel's full review
Jose Perez Prol profile photo
December 09, 2016

Review: "Since we started using Codeship our deployments are more faster."

• Pretty easy to set up.
  • Great documentation.
  • Can be integrated with top tech companies.
  • User Interface.
Codeship it is a great tool for testing code before deployment to production.
Read Jose Perez Prol's full review

Codeship Scorecard Summary

About Codeship

Codeship is a hosted Continuous Integration and Delivery platform. It sits between your source code repository (e.g. GitHub, GitLab or Bitbucket) and the hosting environment (e.g. Amazon Web Services) and automatically tests and deploys every change in your platform. The product aims to allow your Engineering team to focus on developing better applications instead of wasting time on maintaining a cumbersome CI server. According to the vendor, Codeship scales with your needs, allows you to speed up your test suites and enables your developers to ship better code faster.