November 06, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
Commercetools is our organization's primary e-commerce platform. It controls the dataflow and user interaction between front-end client and back-end ERP systems. As a fully functional e-commerce platform, it provides all the necessary functionalities needed for a successful digital business platform. It collects the customer, product, pricing data from the ERP system and provides the interaction through the API model.
- Fully API enabled platform - There is no need to use SQL or other customization. APIs cover full range of functionalities needed for an eCommerce platform and are easy to extend.
- Cloud solution - CommerceTools is a cloud solution so there is no back office hosting/maintenance. Simply enable the API tokens and use the platform!
- Ever expanding - The solution contains all the necessary functions to run a successful ecommerce business and the functions are constantly expanding and new capabilities are introduced.
- Pricing - Commercetools has pricing limitations with respect to customer/SKU combination. If an organization provides lots of custom/contract pricing for customers, Commercetools has difficulty mapping it in. They are working on this to make it more flexible.
- Geographic variations in product portfolio - Commercetools has central product master that doesn't provide product activation/enabling based on different geographies/elevation/sales office structures. Some creative mapping skills are needed to overcome this limitation.
- Data mapping limitations - Commercetools lacks in out of the box data mapping limitations to full fledged ERP platforms. Extensive data mapping workshops are necessary to fit the functionalities of an ERP platform from order, to delivery , to warehouse operations and billing.
Read this authenticated review
Commercetools is generally a very flexible, smart platform for eCommerce business. It's an API enabled, cloud solution that makes integration seamless and quick to deploy. It's also a modern platform that utilizes API query languages like GraphQl. It lacks some functionalities in pricing and geographic variations of product portfolio but the platform is constantly improving and new functionalities are added.