Reviews (1-25 of 45)
- Point in time recovery of SQL databases.
- Integration into multiple clouds for single pane management.
- Encryption for endpoints using SaaS cloud offerings.
- Simple archiving of data to long term storage.
- End user self service data restore.
- Licensing model is somewhat difficult to understand and estimate when deploying solution.
- Legacy protocols for SaaS integrations still in place. Slow to upgrade.
- Not cost efficient when compared to cloud integrated backup solutions.
- There does not seem to be an offering for small companies or small deployments. Wish there was a light version for smaller clients. Wish there was a solution generator tool instead of a lengthy sales process for each new feature deployment.
- Serbia’s Ministry of Environmental Protection is leading the way for public sector organizations to meet the government’s 2020 initiative of digitalizing citizen services. With more than 330 employees in Belgrade and across 22 locations in Serbia, the IT team needs to be able to support a variety of operating systems and facilitate field workers’ remote backups over
the public network.
- Our datacenter in Belgrade must be able to support secure file sharing between a host of different devices across the country. We need to ensure departments can share information without compromising on security if a device is lost or stolen. With Commvault, the organization can protect its data and safeguard services.
- It has also increased efficiency as system administrators can now manage restores remotely from a central console rather than having to travel to site, and each employee can do data restore themselves without the involvement of IT staff.
- With Commvault, the Ministry now has a central platform for data backup and management that can be customized to suit current and future requirements.
- The user-friendly solution was quick and easy to set up, integrates seamlessly and offers
comprehensive data protection. No competing solution on the market offers the same level of organic integration.
- We have happier and more productive users thanks to its user-friendly interface, employees working in the field needed minimal training to start sorting, backing up, and sharing documents on the move.
- Collaboration between departments has improved, while deduplication has helped reduce the organization’s data footprint more than 80%.
- User friendly
- Easy to use for both administrators and employees
- One place (console) for complete administration
- Employees can backup and restore their data without the help of IT staff
- Follows business requirements and regulations
- They should also turn to non-backup users (administrators) to do the basic settings themselves.
- They should make other templates for other countries (regions) where their tool is used.
Too often the "out of the box" solution just doesn't cut it. Our entire environment is this exact scenario. Nothing in our company is cookie cutter. But I know how I want it to work and flow. I have been able to construct an operable and manageable environment with the help and guidance of this amazing team of engineers and developers.
It is used as the single platform to back-up various systems distributed within the organization.
- It supports various operating systems.
- De-duplication is built in.
- It can be controlled from anywhere, by anybody with the correct access.
- The front end and the operations are designed in a uniform manner. This makes is easier to learn, and the operations to perform certain tasks are familiar.
- The reporting and feedback tools are excellent.
- The virtual environment is protected. New machines can be included automatically.
- Network bandwidth is used efficiently.
- Failed backups are highlighted quickly so the underlying cause can be addressed.
- Manually aging jobs to expire the data could be easier.
- Jobs that run through a firewall can be tricky to get running.
- Recent major release upgrades provide tools for pre-flight checks on the management servers if the environment is fit for upgrades or requires attention or fixes prior to a successful upgrade.
- Recently we went through a management server consolidation exercise and it worked flawlessly and the process was pretty straightforward and easy to follow.
- Support team is very responsive and provides confidence in solutions and good follow through until the problem is rectified or solved.
- CommServe can manage backups for virtual machines via VSA without installing agents on virtual machines (non application aware backup)
- Does not have any migration tools if a customer is migrating from a non-CommVault backup tool to CommVault.
- If Full backups for Virtual Machines failed on a subclient, they can only be rerun for incrementals instead of FULL backups
CommVault is an eEnterprise scale backup solution that is able to provide data protection from ROBO to Regional/Global DC. Application aware plugins provide hot backup. AuxCopy features provide a secondary level of data protection to any medium for long-term data protection.
Dedupe tools are excellent. However, there are limitations and it would not work for clients with a DB sitting on ROBO environment.
- Commvault is good at reports and audit trails. We won't miss anything which is required for our audit.
- Very good at backing up large sized systems.
- Well designed to assist with protecting large environments.
- Very well maintained logs and catalogue for restore purposes.
- It has to provide or should come up with supporting smaller environments.
- Their licensing needs to be simplified as it goes with data type.
- Best suited for enterprise customers and very large environments.
- It is not suitable for the small and medium environments.
- Commvault has better Deduplication ratio
- Support with many of its applications
- Support for many OS platforms
- The initial installation and configuration takes little time.
- New command center is quite complicated.
- Everything backup and recovery, replication, endpoints and cloud solutions can be managed by single console.
- Having a web console makes it easier to access from anywhere.
- Been able to use LAN free backups (using only fiber SAN network).
- Recovering emails from app awareness backup of exchange.
- Would like to keep using java console instead of using web console.
- Does not have any agent for Zimbra mail backup.
- It work very well in DR recovery.
- It has recovered my entire DB Server in 20 Minutes.
- Its compressed my large Data, approx 2.5 Tb, into 300 Gb. It helps me use space efficiently.
- Its customer care is very responsive and committed.
- It needs a very sound person to understand this terminology for backup support.
- Commvault's sales team is not very prompt.
- Commvault is an enterprise solution for data protection.
- Commvault software is reliable and secure.
- With Commvault solution, your data is in good hand.
- Commvault is a scalable backup solution.
- Commvault supports many platforms and technologies.
- Commvault supports storage pool sharing for better space management.
breadth of coverage of the platform has met all our needs in one simple
tool. The deployment was simple, and it is a quick thing to do with a lot of
feedback and dedication from the support team to resolve any issues we raised. We now have a single platform to meet all our backup needs without a compromised backup process to back up with a suitable tool like the previous
vendors. Being able to offer the same backup service to both local and
cloud-based services has also allowed us to distribute multiple cloud
loads in the cloud, knowing that existing processes and accessibility services
can protect these loads anywhere.
- Commvault offers the ability to recover all workloads in a single platform.
- Their support is unmatched. When a problem arises, support is usually knowledgeable of a solution.
- The only thing that I would like to see different is for Commvault to have a direct line that customers could call for escalated instances. No matter what the severity of your support instance is, you have to open a ticket via the web and wait for an engineer to pick it up.
- Good backup solution for many applications such as databases and virtual environment
- Fast restores
- Nice reports and statistics
- Professional support
- Missing information in Alerts Reports
- Improve the Command Center utility
- Support is always top notch. They always exceed expectations and I am always left with a very positive experience. They always meet callback SLA's as well.
- They have close ties to the major technology players, like NetApp, EMC and VMware to create API's making it seamless to implement new solutions.
- Once the the solution is setup and running, it requires very little hand holding and maintenance is quite easy.
- CommVault's products can be confusing from an architecture standpoint. discovering where each piece plays a part can be hard without some additional support
- Training is almost a necessity if you are like us, a small organization with limited time to just learn a product on the go.
- Licensing could be better designed for the smaller guy. They have made attempts, but some additional work is need. Not all of us are big enough for capacity licensing to make sense.
CommVault is less suited for those smaller organization that have a limited budget and are looking for a great backup solution. If you are only looking for server backup, CommVault may be less attractive.
- CommVault integrates with VMWare extremely well offering industry leading recovery capabilities
- CommVault provides hardware array integration that is unparalleled amongst is competitors and integrates with a vast swath of hardware vendors
- CommVault provides deep cloud integration that enables our cloud strategy
- Currently the administration console is based on Java
- Documentation on new features lags considerably leaving understanding of functionality and features in the lurch
- We've experienced difficulty restoring multi-terabyte SQL databases on multiple occasions from App-Aware VMWare backups
- Used to backup all corporate and research data from on-prem and Cloud ICT systems across the organization.
- Provides an enterprise level solution that supports our backup and archival strategy.
- Excellent for enterprise backups
- Not so good to support business continuity strategies (eg snapshotting to the Cloud to provide full offsite resilience of ICT systems)
- We backup about of 5PB of data with Commvault, and our backup SLA is 98%.
- Commvault covers all use cases of data protection: VM's, DB, physical servers and cloud environment.
- Relatively expensive software.
- Office365 data in mailboxes, SharePoint, and Onedrive.
- Oracle databases on physical Unix server systems.
- Snapshot integration with Net-app Storage systems.
- Easy secondary storage to S3 based services.
- Not all licenses are available in a multi-tenant SPM platform yet.
- Commvault specialists are hard to find.
Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery
Commvault is the eponymous data backup and recovery solution from the data management company headquartered in New Jersey. Its features support multi-cloud backup, protection for applications, databases, and virtual machines, end-point user data protection, and disaster recovery.
Commvault provides support for backup and recovery of files,
applications, databases, hypervisors, and a variety of popular cloud storage
options, including Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. Modalities can be cloud or multi-cloud,
on-premises or cloud-only workloads.
Cloud Backup and Recovery Options
- Complete backup and recovery across files, applications, databases, virtual machines
- Archiving for files and virtual machines
- Encryption of data in flight and at rest
- Compress and deduplicate data for moving workloads
- Disaster recovery
- Hardware snapshot management
- Replication and virtual machine incremental replication
- Backup operational reporting through Commvault Command Center
- File sharing
- Comprehensive view of data storage locations: on-premises data centers, public, and private clouds
- Consistent service level agreements for hybrid IT environments
- IT agility from tested data management practices
- Policy control management for cloud and on-premises workloads
Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery Competitors
Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery Technical Details