Contently is a SaaS content marketing platform from the company of the same name headquartered in New York, containing features a collaboration space, calendar, and workflow controls, engagement metrics, and rapid access to a high volume of original content from freelance creative talent, researchers, and journalists. Contently has received approximately $12.3 million in funding since its founding in 2010.Contently helps our marketing team generate great content saving us significant time and effortSeveral of our product marketing departments use Contently. Not everyone in the company uses Contently, but I am unsure of the exact extent of its usage. We use Contently to contract creative writers and designers to generate content for our marketing teams when we do not have the time to do all of it ourselves. My team uses Contently mostly for creative writing content and find it helpful for sourcing different perspectives for the campaign ideas we provide writers outside what my team would usually write ourselves.,Easy to set up and track workflow. Easy platform to communicate with contributors and team alike Some very good writers Transparency for how much we pay and how much the freelancer gets paid,Nice that Contently has analytics, but they aren't very useful. Sometimes hard to navigate site since many of the terms for what I'm looking for are similar. Some other UI issues with Calendar and Campaign pages.,9,Contently contributors have produced some great inbound marking posts and creative materials saving our marketing team significant time allowing them to focus on more strategic plans for the business. The amount of time Contently has saved our internal creative writing staff has more than paid for itself!,GoToMeeting, Google Analytics, Trello, SlackContently is the BestIt allows my organization to organize the many steps of content marketing—from brainstorming and delegating work to edit and promotion—all in one place. Our entire marketing team uses it as they were tired of bouncing around from Google Doc to Google Doc, to internal management software back to Google Doc. To free up time and keep track of every stage of our projects so we don't drain precious mental energy that could be used to write, publish or promote instead.,Consolidating my work in one place to make my work life easier Contently is unique from other content marketing organizational tools in one key way. It hands you a network of freelance professionals eager for delegated work. You can search through a database of professionals to find the perfect person for your given project. Find individuals in your budget offering the exact skills and experience you need.,Find a way to give a number (or percentage) of stories completed by contributor compared from each article to my average More in-depth heatmaps to see where eyes and cursors went during engagement Track engagement rates and views for a given article over a period of time,8,Price is too much for most companies but for us we have the ROI within one year,Taboola,Salesforce Analytics Cloud, Outreach, Xactly IncentCorporate marketer turned growth hackerI used Contently to manage our content needs, writers and get analytics on our owned media programs. Contently has been instrumental in building our newsroom and award winning initiatives such as 'The Programmatic Mind'.,Best writers in the industry. I heard that Contently writers can be 'hit or miss' but I never had a bad experience. Good content management workflow. More recently, the tool added some analytics capabilities.,UI can always been improved, even though the UI is very good already. Some occasional bugs or mixing features.,8,Saw a consistent 5 time ROI across our content marketing programs, 80% of them were written by Contently.,A perfect portfolio platform for freelancersI use Contently in my role as the sole dedicated writer of online content and outreach for my division. I have dual roles, writing on behalf of my company, and freelance writing. My Contently portfolio shows off my body of work in both arenas, assuring my stakeholders and outside interests of my writing skills and the scope of my work.,It serves as a website for those of us who manage several sites or don't have a personal site. The ability to move posts around assures me that the strongest, not necessarily the newest, posts are found at the top. It is very user-friendly, specifically the ability to upload and edit new entries. The thumbnails on the left rail give viewers a quick glance at the authoritative sites in which my work has been published.,It would be helpful to be able to divide published posts into topical categories. I would love to see an area for Yelp-type reviews or ratings by end users or the companies for whom I write.,9,Better customer service - I am able to share a link to all of my guest blog posts quickly.,None.An easy way to look like writing professional you know you are!I use Contently for the purpose of showcasing my online portfolio as a freelance writer. It was an easy and efficient method for me to post my articles with pictures in one place. This way when I apply for jobs I can have the direct link to every article I've written, rather than listing each article individually. It also made it easier than building a portfolio for myself from scratch and having to manage that page; Contently made it easy for me to upload new articles and keep a clean interface. It addressed my problem of having to copy each individual link into each new job application. It keeps all of my writing in one place!,Allows for an easy upload. Each time I write something new, I can go to my Contently page, copy and paste the link and be done. It grabs a picture from the website or I can add my own. Creating the page. The layout was simple and easy to understand, I was able to have my portfolio up and running within the hour. I am never confused and can navigate the page well. Navigating to the page. My domain is easy to remember and not a mouthful. I can add it to resumes, applications and other places and feel like the address is clean and not complicated.,There are only two layouts you can choose from. I wish there were a few more choices for this, as the options are simple, but lacking. Sometimes when I paste a link, it doesn't pull the correct picture or description from the page. It has pulled weird things I've never seen before and I have to go back in and manually fix them. The option to purchase a domain without the .contently at the end?,9,Increased professionalism Higher payouts from jobs Better efficiency in keeping everything updated
Contently

Contently Reviews

Contently
Filter 23 vetted Contently reviews and ratings
Alexander deLong profile photo
November 15, 2018

"Contently helps our marketing team generate great content saving us significant time and effort"

• Easy to set up and track workflow.
  • Easy platform to communicate with contributors and team alike
  • Some very good writers
  • Transparency for how much we pay and how much the freelancer gets paid
  • Nice that Contently has analytics, but they aren't very useful.
  • Sometimes hard to navigate site since many of the terms for what I'm looking for are similar.
  • Some other UI issues with Calendar and Campaign pages.
It's helpful for top of marketing funnel writing that we can sometimes lose sight of because we are so ingrained in the product day to day. Contently is also helpful for long written pieces and ebooks that will take a significant amount of employee time to put together.

I avoid using Contently for mid to bottom funnel marketing writing because my team will often have greater insight into the product function or use-case or product release, making them more adroit to the tone of the written piece and able to produce the content quickly.
Read Alexander deLong's full review
April 27, 2018

User Review: "Contently is the Best"

• Consolidating my work in one place to make my work life easier
  • Contently is unique from other content marketing organizational tools in one key way. It hands you a network of freelance professionals eager for delegated work.
  • You can search through a database of professionals to find the perfect person for your given project. Find individuals in your budget offering the exact skills and experience you need.
  • Find a way to give a number (or percentage) of stories completed by contributor compared from each article to my average
  • More in-depth heatmaps to see where eyes and cursors went during engagement
  • Track engagement rates and views for a given article over a period of time
What they are doing well is contently is making the lives of my content marketing team so much easier. My content marketing efforts use to feel held back by ineffective management systems, Contently is the perfect solution for us.

Ways they can improve is on the price. Contently requires a yearly subscription to access its software, and this can range anywhere from $30,000 to $150,000 a year—or even significantly higher. That is a lot of money for a small business like mine.
Ben Plomion profile photo
November 05, 2015

Contently: "Corporate marketer turned growth hacker"

• Best writers in the industry. I heard that Contently writers can be 'hit or miss' but I never had a bad experience.
  • Good content management workflow.
  • More recently, the tool added some analytics capabilities.
  • UI can always been improved, even though the UI is very good already.
  • Some occasional bugs or mixing features.
Contently is more appropriate for larger brands. Contently does work for SMEs (we were one of them) as long as they are committed to content.
Read Ben Plomion's full review
Marie Hickman (Rhodes) profile photo
November 04, 2015

Contently Review: "A perfect portfolio platform for freelancers"

• It serves as a website for those of us who manage several sites or don't have a personal site.
  • The ability to move posts around assures me that the strongest, not necessarily the newest, posts are found at the top.
  • It is very user-friendly, specifically the ability to upload and edit new entries.
  • The thumbnails on the left rail give viewers a quick glance at the authoritative sites in which my work has been published.
  • It would be helpful to be able to divide published posts into topical categories.
  • I would love to see an area for Yelp-type reviews or ratings by end users or the companies for whom I write.
It is a strong platform for freelance writers who lack thier own website, and for companies to show off their best work.
Read Marie Hickman (Rhodes)'s full review
Alyssa DiMare profile photo
October 28, 2015

Contently Review: "An easy way to look like writing professional you know you are!"

• Allows for an easy upload. Each time I write something new, I can go to my Contently page, copy and paste the link and be done. It grabs a picture from the website or I can add my own.
  • Creating the page. The layout was simple and easy to understand, I was able to have my portfolio up and running within the hour. I am never confused and can navigate the page well.
  • Navigating to the page. My domain is easy to remember and not a mouthful. I can add it to resumes, applications and other places and feel like the address is clean and not complicated.
  • There are only two layouts you can choose from. I wish there were a few more choices for this, as the options are simple, but lacking.
  • Sometimes when I paste a link, it doesn't pull the correct picture or description from the page. It has pulled weird things I've never seen before and I have to go back in and manually fix them.
  • The option to purchase a domain without the .contently at the end?
Contently is well suited for my line of work, as I need to showcase my portfolio and all of my writing. This made it easy and so I would recommend it to all of my writing friends trying to find a clean and refreshing way to show the world what they've written without having to build a website from scratch for themselves.
Read Alyssa DiMare's full review
May 09, 2016

User Review: "Contently - great for freelancers"

I used the service as a freelance contributor, accessing the interface to submit/work on stories for publications.
  • Workflow process and UI is very clear and easy to navigate.
  • Easy to see where you are in the process of writing a story/working on a project.
  • Good place to showcase work and find new pitches/opportunities/etc.
  • Images imported from the web don't always fit/look good.
  • Would be great to know when a link to a story or site is broken/no longer works.
Contently is great for a freelancer looking to showcase their work and find new opportunities. It's a great place to summarize what you can do, as well as show off some of your best pieces and stories in a simple, easy to read way. It's a good place for content producers and editors to find your work and suggest new opportunities as well.
May 06, 2016

Review: "Working with Contently has been a pleasure"

Contently is being used in our department. It is helping solve the problem of creating quality, timely content internally, which prior to engaging Contently had been a challenge.
  • Content
  • Distribution
  • Account Management
  • Expensive
No, not really. They have niche expertise from my experience.
November 06, 2015

User Review: "Quite content with Contently"

We use Contently to generate content for our various products and business lines. We use content to foster our community and to keep our users engaged. Our content lives on blogs and is shared via social. We use a variety of content mediums to activate and inform our customers.
  • The onboarding process of getting me up to speed on their platform was phenomenal.
  • Their constant communication with myself and our team is fast.
  • Their platform is intuitive and easy to use.
  • Some of their more technical writers are lacking.
  • The way in which you review authors is a little tedious. You have to get them sent to you by your project manager and you can't browse them yourself.

Contently Scorecard Summary

Ideation (7)
Approval workflows (7)
Content collaboration (6)
9.5
Content calendar (6)
Network for content licensing/production (6)
9.9
Content hub (6)
Forms / Gated content (5)
Embedded CTAs (4)
Content distribution (4)
Content promotion (4)
Content automation (4)
Audience profiling and targeting (3)
Closed-loop tracking and reporting (3)
Content performance analytics (3)
Campaign optimization dashboard (3)
Competitive analytics (3)