May 24, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
We implemented Cookiebot as a mechanism to comply with GDPR legislation. The app runs on our marketing website and allows users to opt-out of certain types of tracking and cookies. The app provided us with a one-stop-shop of functionality needed to comply with GDPR. That being cookie-killing, the cookie declaration, as well as providing a link to easily review and change cookie consent at a later date. The other value that Cookiebot provides is the monthly cookie scan which looks at all the cookies on your website and generates a report of new and changed cookies. We download the HTML file each month and look at the list of cookies to determine if there are any that need to be re-classified. You'd be surprised how often third-party services change their cookies which get piped onto your website (I'm talking about you Intercom!), and Cookiebot catches them and automatically adds them to the cookie declaration.
- Cookie scan and automatically-generated cookie declaration are awesome. Saves so much time and basically eliminates the work needed to maintain compliance with GDPR
- Setup was actually surprisingly easy even though it's entirely DIY. The documentation was surprisingly good, and implementing through Google Tag Manager was a very elegant solution to controlling website cookies and scaling future use of the app
- I was very pleased with the price for what Cookiebot offers. I looked at other solutions when deciding on a GDPR cookie compliance vendor and Cookiebot was the most reasonably priced for what we were looking for.
- The back-end user interface is a bit clunky. It can be annoying to navigate around at times (until you get used to it)
- Front-end branding and visual control are extremely limited. You're stuck with very few options for how the Cookiebot popup presents on your website. For now, it's acceptable, but Cookiebot will absolutely need to update this at some point in order to stay relevant.
- I've had issues with the in-app credit card payment system where it wouldn't proceed to the checkout. We resolved this by trying to do the payment in a different currency which did seem to help.
- The cookie scan has some fields that are cryptic which appear from time to time. It would be nicer if the labels were more user-friendly as visitors to our cookie declaration are not apt to look up the definitions on Cookiebot's website.
Read Garrett Genest's full review
Any situation where a business needs to implement user-level control and consent over cookies from a website or web app is a suitable place to implement Cookiebot. It has a great deal of flexibility in how you trigger/kill cookies, and in how the user can activate or view features like re-visiting the consent popup at a later date or viewing the cookie declaration. They've really made Cookiebot into a component for your existing website rather than a standalone app.