Critical Mention headquartered in New York offers their eponymous media monitoring platform for public relations and crisis management.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/6H/F8/3FSXW27LJ5LG.pngCritical Mention Is Critical to Our CompanyWe use Critical Mention for a variety of companies we work with to answer the question, how far is their message traveling and to where. I worked previously for a very large state government and we used it across the entire organization which included 26 departments and thousands of employees. Now I use it for my own company and our partners and it works well for both applications.,Critical Mention has been a useful tool over the past dozen years. We have used it to help political campaigns, non-profits, private business and the like to understand where their message is landing and understand if they are hitting their target audience. Our report shows them real-time results for radio, tv, online and even social media. I believe the Critical Mention reporting and reports are far superior to other tracking products we have observed by other in the past. Their online services and support are awesome and when you are looking for a product and value of the product Critical Mention gives you both in one package.,I believe the one frustration I have with searching in general that if the closed captioning is not correct on the broadcast end Critical Mention will miss that data. Which is not a Critical Mention issue and does overcome depending on the search. Also, it would be great if you wanted to capture a complete 30 minutes newscast, it could be done by using the search. The clips need to be about to handle 30-minute programs. One nagging issue when using Critical Mention is that it does not save e-mail addresses when sending a report and this requires a waste of time having to type in e-mails that should be able to be pulled from the customers' contacts. Also, it would be great if you wanted to capture a complete 30 minutes newscast, it could be done by using the search. The clips need to be able to handle 30-minute programs.,9,Well, only positive in that our customers know we include this type of professional tracking for them which means they stay loyal. The negative is the price and plan structure. It would be good for critical mention to offer a plan at a price for the limited amount of searches a small business may need annually which would expand their business. We also worry that since cable viewership is heading in a downward direction, our the results we are getting really accurate as more and more people are streaming and using over the air broadcast signals. I believe all major tracking companies may have to develop a solution that includes cable, streaming and over the air solutions. Also, the radio searches need to be expanded by Critical Mention. Too few radio stations are offered by the limitations of how they collect their broadcast radio information. It would be goo to develop expanded radio tracking.,Cision PR Software and Meltwater Media Intelligence Platform,Dropbox Business, Apple iCloud, Google Analytics,1,1,We have used Critical Mention to track political campaigns. We have used Critical Mention for tracking topics that our clients want tracking on an ongoing basis in the media. We track commercials and other paid media for our clients. We track client brands ongoing using Critical Mention. We track legislation coverage for some of our non-profit groups.,We integrated Critical Mention into a product we use called WINstorm which is very popular with our clients. Using the two together our clients get amazing control over their message and own the channel. Critical Mention proves to clients that usingJerkami Communications Group LLC to do PR is backed up with results. Critical Mention provides us proof that every dollar our clients invest in us is returned in free media tenfold. Ongoing tracking from Critical Mention provides us a 60 day reach into the past and continues to look at what is important to our clients into the future.,Critical Mention continues to develop the platform and improve the product. Hopefully, Critical Mention will develop their social media search for it includes the top five social media sites and adds value to them.,10,No,Product Features Prior Experience with the Product Existing Relationship with the Vendor Positive Sales Experience with the Vendor Analyst Reports,No, we have reviewed next to half of the over hundred plus companies offering various forms of tracking services and for the bang for the buck we are very happy with Critical Mention. Every one of these companies offers services and cost that are higher or lower to Critical Mention. It is the ongoing value that keeps us loyal to the Critical Mention brand.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,In a word. None.,10,No,10,Yes,Yes. I had a client who needed a search on Twitter and it was after normal business hours and my Critical Support person handled the last minute request. I also screw up once and forgot to save some assets and they went out of their way to handle my issue. Critical Mention support is always responsive to our needs.,First. Critical Mention offers wonderful service and support. Learning the system is a breeze even for us older users. Second. Using Critical Mention is easy to search terms in many ways. If you really want to drill down into a micro search for one broadcast outlet it is very easy to do. The reports and templates are the best of any search company we have found. Our clients love them.,The only thing I wish Critical Mention would do is be able to import and remember our e-mail lists, so sharing would not require us to type in client e-mails each and every time. It can be very annoying when you deal with the same clients and have to type in their e-mail addresses daily. It is a small thing but it is the annoying thing. We have brought it up to Critical Mention but no update yet to handle this issue.,Yes,9Worth the ROIWe use Critical Mention to pull broadcast media coverage for our clients. It provides reporting metrics as well as an opportunity to playback TV and radio interviews, which we cannot get elsewhere. The tool has added great value to our monthly reporting, better showing the reach of our work.,Pulling real-time metrics to support each piece of broadcast coverge Sharing organized reports of broadcast media coverage Providing playback opportunities for LIVE segments that aren't always accessible for viewing in the moment,The reliance on closed captioning can sometimes cause issues when pulling reports There are sometimes complete captioning blackouts making it hard to find and "wordplay" segments accurately,8,Monthly reports are more accurate and include stronger data Provides more direct proof of ROI by making segments viewable to clients,,Cision PR Software, TrendKite, AlexaCritical Mention is critical for media monitoringCritical Mention is used on a near daily basis for media monitoring. Critical Mention's monitoring, search, editing, and compiling functions are crucial to anyone in public relations. I am very pleased by the service and have used it in multiple different roles and different companies throughout my career. Definitely recommend to anyone in public relations.,Media monitoring technology Searching for broadcast or radio clips Searching for web aritcles Searching by keywords or phrases Analytics Compiling all clips into one comprehensive report Ability to edit broadcast clips,Some of the functionality could be improved Transcription technology could likely be improved,9,Ability to monitor for media coverage in a timely manner Sourcing accurate, relevant clipsPMK*BNC Critical Mention AnalysisAt our agency Critical Mention is used specifically for locating broadcast coverage that we normally wouldn't be able to view on our own. This includes broadcast from multiple local and national outlets so that we can share with our clients those segments that may concern them. The Critical Mention service is used across our entire agency as a way to find clips.,Critical mention is good at finding a large amount of broadcast clips on particular subjects and news cycles.,The ability to search certain shows on stations has proven to be difficult at times and then you have to look up things by timestamp specifically. A feature that I tried to use and did not have any success in is with searching radio. I tried looking up something within the iHeartRadio network and was not successful. Transcription accuracy has been a problem in the past where I was unable to find certain clips and I've had to use a customer service rep for guidance.,8,Every week the department I am a part does dozens of searches on Critical Mention. We use it as our primary search engine for all things broadcast. One negative aspect is that we do not know where Critical Mention gets their audience viewing numbers from so we just have to take it as their word. Another negative aspect is that we are limited on the amount of time that one clip can be so we have to share several clips of the same show with our clients.,TVeye,Cision PR Software, AlexaNot your mother's DVRWhile working with a major network, we used Critical Mention to pull clips of client interviews and features on national morning shows, talk shows, and special news programs. It allows us to store and edit clips to our liking to present to our executives as a reflection of our media relations efforts. The thing I loved about it the most was that you can create alerts based on keywords so avoid performing a search each day.,Provide a variety of download options to retain clips. Monitor web so daily search isn't mandatory. Organize media hits based on audience (local stations vs national stations).,Different interface similar to TVEyes when using keyword search (find hits based on number of channels featured). More innovative way to create clips for clients such as a better interface when sharing clip links. A set time when clips will be available to client and to share with a password.,7,Having the digital component automatically when requesting physical tapes (not sure if this is still done). Better search options.,,Cision PR Software, Gorkana Media Database, Muck Rack
Critical Mention

Critical Mention Reviews

Critical Mention
Filter 18 vetted Critical Mention reviews and ratings
Jerry Kambic profile photo
July 29, 2018

Review: "Critical Mention Is Critical to Our Company"

• Critical Mention has been a useful tool over the past dozen years. We have used it to help political campaigns, non-profits, private business and the like to understand where their message is landing and understand if they are hitting their target audience. Our report shows them real-time results for radio, tv, online and even social media.
  • I believe the Critical Mention reporting and reports are far superior to other tracking products we have observed by other in the past.
  • Their online services and support are awesome and when you are looking for a product and value of the product Critical Mention gives you both in one package.
  • I believe the one frustration I have with searching in general that if the closed captioning is not correct on the broadcast end Critical Mention will miss that data. Which is not a Critical Mention issue and does overcome depending on the search. Also, it would be great if you wanted to capture a complete 30 minutes newscast, it could be done by using the search. The clips need to be about to handle 30-minute programs.
  • One nagging issue when using Critical Mention is that it does not save e-mail addresses when sending a report and this requires a waste of time having to type in e-mails that should be able to be pulled from the customers' contacts.
  • Also, it would be great if you wanted to capture a complete 30 minutes newscast, it could be done by using the search. The clips need to be able to handle 30-minute programs.
Look, Critical Mention is the best on the market for the price and value at this moment and every moment, in the last twelve years. I would give a 100% thumbs up to folks who want a professional software and service to handle their broadcast and online tracking needs. Nothing is perfect but Critical Mention is damn close when it comes to our and our clients' tracking needs.
Read Jerry Kambic's full review
July 17, 2018

Critical Mention Review: "Worth the ROI"

• Pulling real-time metrics to support each piece of broadcast coverge
  • Sharing organized reports of broadcast media coverage
  • Providing playback opportunities for LIVE segments that aren't always accessible for viewing in the moment
  • The reliance on closed captioning can sometimes cause issues when pulling reports
  • There are sometimes complete captioning blackouts making it hard to find and "wordplay" segments accurately
If you handle media relations on behalf of clients who are regularly on TV programs, Critical Mention is a must-have for reporting.
June 26, 2018

Review: "Critical Mention is critical for media monitoring"

• Media monitoring technology
  • Searching for broadcast or radio clips
  • Searching for web aritcles
  • Searching by keywords or phrases
  • Analytics
  • Compiling all clips into one comprehensive report
  • Ability to edit broadcast clips
  • Some of the functionality could be improved
  • Transcription technology could likely be improved
Critical Mention is crucial for anyone in public relations monitoring for media coverage. It's absolutely essential for radio and broadcast monitoring, and the web-based article monitoring is a great added bonus. This software is great.
Keith Wald profile photo
April 25, 2018

User Review: "PMK*BNC Critical Mention Analysis"

• Critical mention is good at finding a large amount of broadcast clips on particular subjects and news cycles.
  • The ability to search certain shows on stations has proven to be difficult at times and then you have to look up things by timestamp specifically.
  • A feature that I tried to use and did not have any success in is with searching radio. I tried looking up something within the iHeartRadio network and was not successful.
  • Transcription accuracy has been a problem in the past where I was unable to find certain clips and I've had to use a customer service rep for guidance.
I use Critical Mention for broadcast searches and finding certain clips. It is the best service for broadcast searching and there is not another viable alternative on the market to my knowledge. Critical Mention is less appropriate for online searches and needing impressions. For this my agency typically uses other services like Cision and Alexa, as they are more up to the industry standard for PR.
Read Keith Wald's full review
Meagen Hagans profile photo
January 20, 2016

Critical Mention Review: "Not your mother's DVR"

• Provide a variety of download options to retain clips.
  • Monitor web so daily search isn't mandatory.
  • Organize media hits based on audience (local stations vs national stations).
  • Different interface similar to TVEyes when using keyword search (find hits based on number of channels featured).
  • More innovative way to create clips for clients such as a better interface when sharing clip links. A set time when clips will be available to client and to share with a password.
Critical Mention is well suited anytime we need to pull a clip quickly for management or a client.
Read Meagen Hagans's full review
Lyla Shaibi profile photo
December 18, 2014

Critical Mention Review: "Easy to use, but a few changes would make it amazing"

There are a few teams that use Critical Mention across the whole organization. My team in particular uses the platform to provide relevant television and radio clips to our client and to measure the amount of this type of coverage on any given topic. The client will often have certain initiatives and issues it needs to monitor, measure the volume of, and be able to get a feel for the media's sentiment surrounding the initiative/issue.
  • The option to search by call sign and program name is very helpful.
  • Overall, pinpointing a certain clip you need or clips from a certain area of Canada/US is easily facilitated by their search options.
  • Clips load fast and are of good quality.
  • It is extremely slow to delete clips that you've put into a report.
  • Critical Mention often misspells words in its transcript making search terms hard to pinpoint and as a result, relevant clips are harder to find.
  • Clips are often duplicated two or three times.
I don't think Critical Mention is appropriate for a company that will be searching for a high volume of unique clips. It is great for a few segments a client needs to see but if you're creating a report with hundreds of clips it will be hard to measure the exact value of the clips because there are so many duplicates and it is hard to delete clips from the report.
Read Lyla Shaibi's full review
Allison Lehman profile photo
July 25, 2014

User Review: "Critical Mention"

I use Critical Mention to on both small and large scale projects to monitor, manage and analyze airings of specific interviews conducted both live and to tape as well as for general coverage of specific topics on tv, radio and online media outlets all over the world. This unique platform provides users with essential information, including audience numbers, air dates and times, ad values etc. Critical Mention also allows users to edit video, assign tags and metadata and analyze coverage through features like word clouds and graphs. These features and more have made Critical Mention an invaluable asset when it comes to managing workflow as well as creating and customizing reports to optimally communicate key performance indicators to various clients across all industries.
  • Critical Mention is very simple to navigate and operate. After signing up for an account, users are assigned a dedicated account manager and given a personalized tutorial that provides them with all the information they need to accomplish their tasks and maximize productivity.
  • Various search options, from Boolean logic to caption keywords make the process of finding and sorting results both quick and easy.
  • Compared to other vendors I've worked with, Critical Mention provides the best services when it comes to real-time monitoring, overall.
  • When using Critical Mention for large scale projects with broad search criteria, it can be very difficult to catch duplicate mentions of your keywords within the same broadcast. This often requires a lot of time consuming hands-on work.
  • It would be helpful if there were more independent stations monitored, other than the major affiliates.
  • When stations are not captioned, it can be difficult to find clips without the use of keywords.
  • While there have been major improvements made, there are still bugs within the search function that make certain tasks far more time consuming.
If you are planning to use Critical Mention to monitor specifically limited search criteria, you will find it to be instrumental in managing work flow in such a fast-paced business. Large scale projects that require sorting and analyzing thousands of results might require additional work with the help of their support team, manually or through other applications and platforms.
Read Allison Lehman's full review
Jessica Washington profile photo
July 02, 2014

User Review: "Critical Mention - great product!"

One of my jobs is to keep track of and document coverage of all coverage (broadcast, online, print, social media) released about the National Guard Youth Foundation and any of the 35 National Guard Youth ChalleNGe programs across the country. Before we decided to purchase Critical Mention, I would rely on Google Alerts and manually create a news clip for each time a program or the Foundation was covered. This was tedious and too time-consuming. Critical Mention has truly facilitated the process for me - I am able to easily create reports, and all of the stores are in one place. Not only does Critical mention save time - it gives us space online to save our news coverage so we're not loading up our shared drive with news clips.
  • Critical Mention is phenomenal for what it's known for (media monitoring).
  • Critical Mention is easy to figure out, streamlines the process of tracking and organizing your company or organization's coverage.
  • Critical mention is relatively easy to figure out.
  • Critical Mention should allow searches to go further back than 30 days.
I'd recommend Critical Mention if your company or organization is frequently in the news.

Although our foundation is not in the news every day, because we advocate for and market the Youth ChalleNGe Program, we need to know when every single program is being covered - it helps us track our progress.
Read Jessica Washington's full review
Jennifer Jo profile photo
July 11, 2014

"Critical Mention Review"

Critical Mention is a great platform to obtain media lists and coverage pertaining to your client. It is also a great tool to get impressions and UVM numbers.
  • Has an extensive list of outlets
  • Easy to find contacts
  • Great for coverage pulling
  • Updated database
  • Cision does pull all coverage. Usually I need to go and do an extensive google search
Read Jennifer Jo's full review
July 27, 2016

"Critical Mention Review"

We specifically use Critical Mention for our account team. 3-4 people on the team work for one account that uses the service. I am the sole user of the service and use it to monitor client and competitor news on a quarterly basis. It helps our account address the sentiment and quality of mentions to our client on a month-over-month basis and we are able to notice trends or better identify reasoning for negative news coverage with the support of this service.
  • Monitor media mentions and send alerts: it's great because I don't have to go in and search every day. I am set in the morning and afternoon with alerts.
  • Online media reports: it's great because it helps me create my own personal reports in a format that my clients love.
  • Customer service: our account team dedicated to us is amazing. There has never been a time that they let us down.
  • Saving new broadcast clips as reports. Sometimes it's confusing because I don't see everything I saved under the same report.
  • 60 day limit on how far we can go back on our searches. Sometimes I need to pull a clip from 90 or more days ago and I am unable to go that far back.
  • Media alerts about commercials. While the search is set up to capture certain words, sometimes it is a bit much to go through all the commercial content.
Account teams that have to report on media monitoring coverage for their clients would benefit from using this service. It's a user-friendly, quick way for account teams to deliver on coverage, whether it's a video the client just asked for five minutes ago or a comprehensive analysis report for each quarter. This service probably wouldn't be as useful for more senior executives on account teams as the bulk of monitoring work is on the entry-level account people.
July 18, 2014

"Critical Mention Review"

Critical Mention was a tool that I had used at my previous job where I coordinated a lot of media spots for TV. Most times the TV stations would run the segment or various versions of the segment during the morning, afternoon and evening news programming. Critical Mention allowed my team and I to capture every piece of footage that was not posted to the internet and then allowed us to purchase all of the segments for our client to keep on file. This tool was available for my entire company to use, but my team of about 4-5 people used it the most.
  • Critical Mention allowed me to keep track of all of the pickup around specific stories that were being pitched for my client by scanning not only TV stations, but radio spots too.
  • Critical Mention allowed my team to edit the clip down to show the specific segment, down to the second, of when the client was mentioned.
  • Critical Mention offered a transcript along with the clip as a starting point, since most times it did need to be edited.
  • Within the three years of using Critical Mention, the platform changed multiple times which was hard to keep up with as the changes were drastically different and not always user-friendly.
  • The transcript that Critical Mention offers with the clip is only a starting point as it has a lot of mistakes within in.
  • There was often a big delay from when the clip aired on TV to when it was available on Critical Mention.
Critical Mention is extremely valuable for capturing media pitches to news stations. Often times, these stations do not put most of their stories online; making them inaccessible to the client. Also, as most clients expect an end report that compiles all media hits at the completion of a project, Critical Mention is a great tool that captures everything and allows you to save it all in one place.
July 19, 2014

Review: "Critical Mention, did I mention it's critical to your business"

Critical Mention is solely used by our research department. It's primarily used to capture interviews and television segments for analysis and archival purposes. Our clients find it particularly useful.
  • Critical Mention's real-time alerting feature comes in handy and it great as it allows you to focus on other work while staying on top of various television segments.
  • Critical Mention allows you to send video clips in a simple link. Using a application to shorten the web link is even more useful when sending to different people.
  • The filters for search are extremely useful.
  • The audio is sometimes unmatched from the video clips. Therefore headphones are a must with the program.
  • Commercial breaks could be more distinct in the text.
It is well suited for capturing interviews immediately after they've happened. More importantly, providing transcripts is very important too.

About Critical Mention