Cubase

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Cubase, and make your voice heard!

Starting Price

What is Cubase?

Steinberg Media Technologies headquartered in Hamburg offers Cubase, a digital audio workstation and audio editing application.

Cubase Technical Details

Initially, Cubase was utilized simply because a free version came with a USB audio interface that I purchased. Since then, I've upgraded because the software was so great and I just wanted to expand what I could do with it. I've been able to do record multitrack and master with ease with very little previous experience. I was also given stems recorded from other software that I was able to edit easily.
  • Ease of use
  • Clear, user-friendly interface
  • Stable and glitch free
  • Some documentation is confusing and may be different than the version you have
  • Finding how to set up more complex audio environments can be cumbersome
  • Audio library can be a little confusing
Unless you have a specific need for something like Pro Tools, I'd recommend Cubase every time. While some basic, initial setup stuff can be confusing at first, the overall experience is very user friendly. And where you run into issues, I've found support to be very helpful. The less expensive versions are perfect for a hobbyist, but the more advanced versions have everything you need.
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've been a composer for film, television and advertising for over 13 years. I've been using Cubase since 2011, it's what I've used to score many award-winning projects, it's easy to learn (I migrated over to it from Cubase), the technology is cutting edge, and it's pretty stable. Overall, it's a great product to use for scoring/podcasting/audio mixing, and I'd definitely recommend it for any new composer.
  • Writing music to video
  • Quick rendering
  • Easy learning curve
  • Moderately priced for anyone starting out in the industry
  • Shortcuts aren't easy to learn
  • Can be a bit of a resource hog
  • Upgrades don't necessarily have enough features to make the worthwhile
While Cubase is great at editing audio, and songwriting, it's a champ at creating music to video. It's easy to import the videos into a session, and syncing up the music to the video is very easy for even a beginner. And Cubase can be used all the way through the process - writing, recording, mixing and mastering, and exporting back out is practically a one-step process!

Cubase is also really adept at MIDI, something that was lacking for me in Pro Tools at the time, and allows you to render MIDI to audio in place at a high speed rate, saving you tons of downtime.
Any time I've had to reach out to customer support, they've been fast to respond and answered my questions to the best of their ability. Authorization of the software is easy, and the company is great about emailing you promptly. Overall, they do a great job.
Dan Butler | TrustRadius Reviewer
Cubase is the core of our business. As a recording and production studio, we use Cubase as the primary recording solution. We are using this in all key aspects of the production process. Cubase excels in MIDI production with VST instruments and orchestration. Cubase is very flexible when it comes to routing and audio mixing, making it a very valuable part of our process.
  • MIDI: MIDI has been an integral part of Cubase since the very beginning. In Cubase 11, working with and editing MIDI has become a very streamlined process.
  • Advanced Audio Features: One of my favorite audio features is the ability to generate harmony voices in just one click. This speeds up the production process and helps new singers understand different harmony lines. It also gives the ability to add modern harmony sounds to our tracks.
  • Channel Strip: While we use many plugins to emulate famous consoles and outboard equipment, the stock channel strip is outstanding. The included channel strip could easily stand on its own to get a finished sound.
  • Control Room: This is an amazing tool that emulates a monitor controller right in the software. Using this allows me to set up headphone cues, headphone mixes, and different monitor configurations. I am able to insert plugins into these chains that do not affect the master bus.
  • Channel Conversion: The one thing I wish Cubase would change is the ability to change a mono channel to stereo. Sometimes when creating a new track, you realize after the fact it needs to be one or the other. There is no easy way to change this setting.
  • Automation: While the automation abilities are very inclusive, I would like to see more streamlined abilities when drawing automation curves. It can sometimes feel a little clunky in its current iteration.
I have been a longtime fan of Cubase and would recommend it to anyone, whether they are just starting in recording or a seasoned professional. I find that it is really strong in the pre-production and production phases of a song. Tools like the arranger track, track versions, and the chord track make writing and experimenting very easy. I have used these tools on almost every song that I have started from the writing phase. I am able to experiment with different variations of a song, different channel settings, and even completely different arrangements all with just a few clicks. My writing process and speed have improved so much over the last few versions of Cubase.

We have also enjoyed working with the mixing process. The mixers in Cubase are laid out much like a regular console. So for an old timer like me, the learning curve is very low. Cubase did a very good job with layout and labeling. Things are labeled what you would expect them to be and laid out in an order that makes sense. The other part of the mixer that makes it great is the ability to color code and organize tracks. My mix time has drastically decreased since using Cubase.
Cubase is used in our audio department for, recording, editing and mixing of audio. We use Cubase in an Audio Visual Event setting.
We are often required to record and mix down audio for conferences and live stream post production for upload to youtube or similar or to be distributed within businesses as promo content etc.
  • The user interface is very accessible and easy to operate
  • Cubase will run fine on most PCs with regular hardware
  • VSTs are easy to manage and install
  • Audio routing within the mixer is very simple
  • Keyboard shortcuts aren't the best, I find it tedious to zoom in and out of the timeline
  • Multi-track recording of multiple takes can become hard to manage
  • Composing with Midi can be hard, the midi editing is a bit outdated
Cubase is great for mixing down all forms of audio, the included audio tools are quite good, although I believe that most users would supplement these with 3rd party VSTs. At the end of the day, most audio editing and mixing software produces the same outcome, for me it comes down to ease of use and a great user interface, which I believe that Cubase has. For this reason I believe that Cubase is more suitable for less technical users.
Cubase can edit audio with Video playback, however I have always found it easier to edit the audio and then combine with the video using another software.