Reviews (1-3 of 3)
January 31, 2019
Score 10 out of 10
We have been using Dell EMC RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines (hosted on VMWare) for Disaster Recovery. It helped us having secondary site consistent and recover systems with VM level granularity. This software solution is highly reliable and keeps our "Tier 1" application highly available with minimal usage of resources and gives us an edge because of its point-in-time recovery (that may cause due to any factors like malfunction, data corruptions, disaster).
- Automatically discover and register VMware ESXi hosts for replication.
- Auto-registers shared datastores , pre-defined failover Network Configuration. EMC RecoverPoint saved a lot of time and helped our team to minimize our disaster recovery window.
- Until now I don't have any but in this technological era there are bugs in every software but are fixed in next patches or new releases.
Read Kunal Gupta's full review
In this competitive market please prefer to adopt reliable and enterprise solution for your mission critical systems/applications as they are your assets. We are VMware shop and recoverpoint well suited our requirement.
September 29, 2017
Score 6 out of 10
Recoverpoint is used in conjuction with VMWare SRM in the protection of production SAP instances necessary for the business to function. It addresses the need to replicate data from one location to another for disaster recovery. The utility it provides can be viewed as a DVR, to roll back data that has been protected from the production site and to test that data, before approving it and sending it back to production or back to DR.
- EMC RecoverPoint does it's core functions of DVR like replication extremely well. It integrates perfectly with VMware vsphere and SRM and is relatively simple to configure.
- EMC RecoverPoint handles failover and failback very well, either manually or through the SRM interface.
- EMC RecoverPoint physical is relatively easy to run once installed and configured!!
- The Journal space that recoverpoint needs may need to be adjusted and so a lot of space is needed at both sites, production or DR, to accommodate for longer periods of DVR like recording. Failover testing may run out of capacity for long periods of time.
- Recoverpoint requires clustering of nodes that can only be done by EMC support.
- Recoverpoint requires that splitter devices exist for all protected arrays. VNX, VMAX, and XIO all have various degrees of integration of the splitter hardware and lose features, with VNX being the strongest in featureset.
Read David Yezersky's full review
Recoverpoint is perfect for shops with EMC Arrays that need to replicate from array to array at decent speeds. It is also perfect for environments that have VMware SRM and need failover/failback functionality of VMs in near realtime.
We use RecoverPoint with vmware SRM for all departments to replicate tier 1 application servers. The business problem it addresses for our company is lowering the recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO) from 13 hours to 4 hours.
- Block based replication for sql is better than taking just the snaps of the servers since it won't be able to clear the memory of a sql server.
- With the compression option lower recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO) is possible versus using other vendor software/hardware.
- Integrations for automation for vmware.
- EMC RecoverPoint isn't easier to install and or set up. You will need to know how to zone, understand SAN and networking.
- It's hard to understand how many disks to use based on the RTO and RPO for the replication set.
- Will still need professional service and training to really understand how to use the software.
It is well suited if your whole environment is virtualized to integration with vmware SRM for automation. It isn't suited if you are not using a fibre channel switch network and could get expensive if you have a lot of storage to replicate.
Read Khanh Thai's full review
I don't really have to call support too much, but when I have to they are always there to help.
Dell EMC RecoverPoint Scorecard Summary
What is Dell EMC RecoverPoint?
Dell EMC RecoverPoint replication provides the continuous data protection to recover any application, on any supported storage array, in any location, to any point in time. Users can meet recovery point objectives (RPOs) and recovery time objectives (RTOs) with instant access to data, and use RecoverPoint to support disaster recovery, operational recovery, and testing.
Categories: Data Replication
Dell EMC RecoverPoint Technical Details