Reviews (1-3 of 3)
February 19, 2019
Score 5 out of 10
We have multiple PS SANS across our organization in production and test environments. They serve as storage for a variety of physical and virtual nodes across our landscape. For an organization of our size, we needed heavyweight enterprise level storage, which could handle large Oracle databases, web servers, and general internal servers.
- Provides a hybrid mixture of SAS and SSD disks
- Different raid levels allowed across shelves
- Daisy chain SAN controllers
- One SAN controller failure can lead to big issues we unfortunately learned
- Disks tend to fail quite frequently
- The firmware upgrading process could do with an overhaul
Read Rob Bates's full review
If you need SAN storage at an enterprise level that can serve iSCSI and/or FC then EqualLogic shelves are a safe bet, especially as you can tier your storage for different speeds. We have a total of four PS Series units across the estate, all various sizes. However, we would recommend looking a Dell Compellents as well, as these are also excellent SANS for the enterprise.
November 15, 2017
Score 9 out of 10
We use one PS series as our primary SAN for the whole organization for our virtual environment, and another PS series in our disaster recovery site. The primary replicates to the DR site.
- Rock solid. A few hard drive failures over the years, but that is to be expected on a device that runs 24 hours a day.
- Easy to configure and maintain
- Solid redundancy. No single point of failure.
- Be nice to use a hybrid of drives. Solid state and hard disk drives.
- Configuration was easy, but the maintaining of it can be a little difficult. We are a small shop. The system runs great, but when it comes to increasing storage space, etc., it can be difficult because we aren't in it daily. Some options are buried pretty well, which makes it tough to find.
Read Troy Smith's full review
I find the PS Series is well suited for the small to mid-size organization. Larger organizations may need faster IOPS and 10Gb connections.
January 17, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
Dell EqualLogic PS Series is being used across our entire organization to store virtual servers and data. It allows our entire environment to run on one platform and gives us the ability to manage our data easily. More importantly, we are able to provision new servers and backup existing ones more efficiently.
- iSCSI-based system that is quick to configure and set-up on the network.
- Provisioning new LUNs and unified storage makes it straightforward to use with various systems.
- Graphical interface is easy to use, allows for quick implementation of data pools and volumes.
- Firmware issues sometimes hamper network connectivity across the network.
- Pricing is more expensive than building your own network-attached storage.
- Additional support costs for maintaining the latest software that the Dell EqualLogic runs on.
Read this authenticated review
Dell EqualLogic is well suited in a virtual environment where the ability to quickly create new volumes is important. Also, being able to back-up and restore data pools is a key factor, as well as automating your storage environment. Smaller businesses would be less suited in this scenario and would be better off with a less expensive NAS solution.
Dell EqualLogic PS Series Scorecard Summary
About Dell EqualLogic PS Series
Dell's EqualLogic PS Series is a line of storage appliances, from Dell.
Categories: Modular Storage Area Network (SAN)
Dell EqualLogic PS Series Technical Details