https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/H4/dx/IMMSXO48PVE7.JPEGDraftSight, hey it's free.Free and worth the price. I've used DraftSight for side work on and off, and on occasions where AutoCAD was needed and not available. It's close enough and does basic editing of 2D dwg files in model space or paper space. It'll take some time to poke around and find what you're looking for. It's good that many AutoCAD commands are aliased at the command line so you don't have to find the button or remember what the DraftSight name for the command is, you can just type 'stretch' and you'll get what you need.,When you don't have autocad and you need it, DraftSight is free and you can download it. One time a guy at work asked me for a basic .dwg editor and I was like, no problem guy, download DraftSight and you're good! One time we brought a temp on at work and didn't have another copy of AutoCAD, so we set him up with DraftSight and it worked out.,Adding text to dimensions could be better. Stability could be better.,7,It's free, so the investment is pretty minimal if you're not paying the drafters. If you're paying AutoCAD drafters to figure it out and scratch their heads, just pay for AutoCAD LT instead.,5,I haven't had the need to. I'll use it to generate 2D vector drawings, which are useful to other programs. The legacy product that we are working with can save to the industry standard .dwg format, which will allow migration to DraftSight or other drafting programs that support the format.,It's free, and useful on occasions where you need something adequate and don't want to or aren't able to convince someone to buy something. DraftSight pro does include CAD libraries, PDF underlay, macro recording and automation features, but I haven't used them. If an organization were to use the pro it is $149/seat, so it's cheap and adequate.,As mentioned, in a pinch you can add a seat of CAD capability without having to convince someone to buy something. This has been the primary benefit.,,SOLIDWORKS, Autodesk InventorDraftSight RisingI am an educator at a college in Southern Nevada. I teach AutoCAD and SOLIDWORKS. I like to introduce Draftsight to the students entering the job market. I also recommend Draftsight when visiting companies that are using an older version of AutoCAD.,DWG editor. GUI is very similar. Same commands. 3D capabilities. Paramedics editing.,Dynamic Blocks. External References. More Architecture tools in the toolbox.,10,Overall cost. Training Curve is minimal. Online support for Training. SWUGN Users groups available worldwide.,10,We are an education institution. I point out the values of DraftSight compared to AutoCAD.,AutoCAD and SOLIDWORKS,AutoCAD, MicroStation, SOLIDWORKSGreat and Affordable CAD solution, without the learning curve!DraftSight has provided an affordable alternative to AutoCAD LT. I use DraftSight across all of our companies for IT, Engineering, and operations layouts. 90+% of the key commands used in Autocad work 1:1 in DraftSight, making the transition relativity easy.,Cost is the reason I went with DraftSight. I have been working with Autocad for most of my career, but it can be expensive. There is a free version, but I ended up paying the $300 for the 2-3 year renewal. Was well worth it! 90+% of the key commands used in Autocad work 1:1 in DraftSight, making the transition relativity easy. When needing to collaborate with other departments, we were able to leverage the free version for small times and to avoid the expense of AutoCAD. Some of our users had never used AutoCAD or a drafting software. DraftSight is laid out in an intuitive way that allowed some of our users to perform basic drawing modification on their own.,The biggest thing that sticks out to me is when using the free version, you have to re-register almost every day. I would like to see some improvement on the activation for the free version.,10,DraftSight has allowed us to have a reliable 2D CAD solution without breaking the bank.,10,I have not.,Cost and functionality, without having to learn from day 1.,Yes, we were able to get a CAD software on the fly for a low cost, and having come from AutoCAD was able to hit the ground running.,AutoCAD,Adobe Acrobat DC, Microsoft Office 365DraftSight is a great no-cost solution for viewing and editing 2D file types.Our design and engineering departments mainly use DraftSight for opening, editing, and printing DWG and DXF file types. Even though we primarily work in SOLIDWORKS, we still need to send out DWGs to our customers for their burn tables or for them to incorporate our designs into their 2D layouts.,It is completely FREE. Even though you need to activate it with an email, you will not have to pay for anything. It is similar to AutoCAD in that it has the same feel. And if you are using it for editing /viewing, it's great! The user interface is great.,Activation can sometimes be hit or miss. When you enter all your information and submit, you'll receive no confirmation email and then you have to submit everything again. It seems to be getting better and better, but it shouldn't be that bad to begin with. But when the product is free...,9,Considering it's free, this is not an issue.,9,Being able to view, edit, and print DWG or DXF file types for free is very helpful.,This is much better than the previous software that was offered with SOLIDWORKS (DXFViewer). DXFViewer was horrible! Since the release of DraftSight it has been much easier to view and edit DWG and DXF file types.,AutoCAD,SOLIDWORKS, Tacton, Epicor ERPDraftSight is very effective for design, at a reasonable priceI use DraftSight as a personal tool. Mainly my projects are related to the construction of my house and some parts of my boats.,Easy layer management Use of text Customization of the interface Use of views,The tool palette is not very user-friendly,9,Absolutely positive as I can use a professional tool with limited investment.,9,No, I have not connected DS to any other products.,Symbol library,I think that, for what I use it for, the productivity is comparable with AutoCAD.,Adobe Photoshop
Windows, Linux, Mac
DraftSight

DraftSight Reviews

DraftSight
Filter 117 vetted DraftSight reviews and ratings

Andrew McLeod profile photo
March 02, 2019

User Review: "DraftSight, hey it's free."

• When you don't have autocad and you need it, DraftSight is free and you can download it.
  • One time a guy at work asked me for a basic .dwg editor and I was like, no problem guy, download DraftSight and you're good!
  • One time we brought a temp on at work and didn't have another copy of AutoCAD, so we set him up with DraftSight and it worked out.
  • Adding text to dimensions could be better.
  • Stability could be better.
If you don't have $40 to spend for a 1-month license of AutoCAD LT or can't get the expense authorized, Draftsight will do fine. If you don't meet the system requirements for AutoCAD LT, it's great.
If you do have $40/month or $390/year for AutoCAD LT and meet system requirements for it, AutoCAD LT is the much better choice.
Read Andrew McLeod's full review
Bob Diaz profile photo
February 19, 2019

User Review: "DraftSight Rising"

• DWG editor.
  • GUI is very similar.
  • Same commands.
  • 3D capabilities.
  • Paramedics editing.
  • Dynamic Blocks.
  • External References.
  • More Architecture tools in the toolbox.
Affordability: the cost of Draftsight is more affordable than using AutoCAD or any other DWG editor.
Compatibility: Draftsight is compatible with most CAD formats.
Read Bob Diaz's full review
Jeff Allen profile photo
January 02, 2019

DraftSight Review: "Great and Affordable CAD solution, without the learning curve!"

DraftSight has provided an affordable alternative to AutoCAD LT. I use DraftSight across all of our companies for IT, Engineering, and operations layouts. 90+% of the key commands used in AutoCAD work 1:1 in DraftSight, making the transition relativity easy.
  • Cost is the reason I went with DraftSight. I have been working with AutoCAD for most of my career, but it can be expensive. There is a free version, but I ended up paying the $300 for the 2-3 year renewal. Was well worth it!
  • 90+% of the key commands used in AutoCAD work 1:1 in DraftSight, making the transition relativity easy.
  • When needing to collaborate with other departments, we were able to leverage the free version for small times and to avoid the expense of AutoCAD.
  • Some of our users had never used AutoCAD or a drafting software. DraftSight is laid out in an intuitive way that allowed some of our users to perform basic drawing modification on their own.
  • The biggest thing that sticks out to me is when using the free version, you have to re-register almost every day. I would like to see some improvement on the activation for the free version.
If you are in need of AutoCAD LT but don't want to spend the money, DraftSight is a great alternative with little to no compromise.
Read Jeff Allen's full review
Chris Price profile photo
December 19, 2018

Review: "DraftSight is a great no-cost solution for viewing and editing 2D file types."

• It is completely FREE. Even though you need to activate it with an email, you will not have to pay for anything.
  • It is similar to AutoCAD in that it has the same feel. And if you are using it for editing /viewing, it's great!
  • The user interface is great.
  • Activation can sometimes be hit or miss. When you enter all your information and submit, you'll receive no confirmation email and then you have to submit everything again. It seems to be getting better and better, but it shouldn't be that bad to begin with. But when the product is free...
It's free and behaves similar to AutoCAD. It's the perfect solution to interact with DWG and DXF file types.
Read Chris Price's full review
Cristiano Cortonesi profile photo
February 06, 2019

Review: "DraftSight is very effective for design, at a reasonable price"

• Easy layer management
  • Use of text
  • Customization of the interface
  • Use of views
  • The tool palette is not very user-friendly
For 2D drafts, it is absolutely recommended. I don't know about for 3D as I don't use this functionality.
Read Cristiano Cortonesi's full review
Victor Arana profile photo
February 01, 2019

Review: "DraftSight an Amazing 2D drafting and design tool for the construction field!"

Currently, DraftSight is being used by our team of estimators as a double check tool to compare and share information of ongoing and upcoming updates of 2D construction projects and is helping them to avoid flaws in the design that are usually made outside of the core construction development team. It helps to solve inconsistencies of takeoff measures and it works as a lightweight client for our mobile workforce.
  • User-friendly interface, that's pretty fast and lightweight.
  • Its complexity is quite an advantage compared to AutoCAD products since is easy to understand all their toolsets.
  • It has excellent support and improvements with every single update makes it more reliable.
  • CLI trick behavior while you mix it with right click mouse requests.
  • The library default location sometimes doesn't allow to save block files.
  • Seats are expensive in the professional version compared to others advance 2D drawing reviewing tools that are mostly for free.
DraftSight is a great companion for those construction companies that are seeking a detailed and organized structure of drawing their versions and updates or just simply to build a quite decent centralized database for their construction projects and be more accurate in their estimates. I don’t really recommend it if you're working with complex and demanding environments where the construction projects require 2D and 3D integrations as well.
Read Victor Arana's full review
George Bynum profile photo
December 18, 2018

DraftSight Review: "Useful software"

I am the organization, for whatever it is; I'm essentially retired, helping out a few of my "customers" at perhaps a 5% or 10% level. I work perhaps an average of 2 days a month. I am occasionally sent drawings by newer versions of AutoCAD than that which I own and have substantially customized to do single-line hydraulic and pneumatic circuit diagrams. DraftSight allows my opening and saving them in a compatible format. I probably use it 2 or 3 times a year.
  • Opens every CAD format I run into.
  • Saves into an AutoCAD format compatible with the heavily customized version I own.
  • For the tiny use I have, there is nothing that needs to be changed.
Draftsight has proven capable of opening all CAD formats to which I've been exposed. Neither it nor newer versions of AutoCAD (I own and use 2002, own but do not use 2004 for menu customization reasons) work with my customized menu, and my use is too infrequent to consider creating a new structure.
Read George Bynum's full review
Kleber Randolfi profile photo
December 18, 2018

Review: "My Draftsight Experience on Linux Infrastructure"

Today the draft management Is the most important change in the development market and manufacturing industry. The DraftSight solution is used on our clients to replace expensive and heavy CAD solutions. Simplifying the draftsman job and the project teams enrolled to achieve the objectives.
  • Powerful
  • Economic
  • Simple
  • Smart
  • Civil Construction
  • Plastic Industry
  • Engineers Team
Today the market offers many options of replacement of a CAD solution. The DraftSight is think of engineers team to the engineers team.
Read Kleber Randolfi's full review
April 18, 2019

Review: "DraftSight- An Affordable, Encouraging way to dip your toes into drafting"

DraftSight is mostly used for getting basic layouts done for projects and project planning. We don't use it super frequently but I have personally spent a good bit of time using it to better understand drafting and similar programs. DraftSight is especially cheap compared to similar products on the market which makes it great for experimenting with and learning on before moving to something more advanced.
  • DraftSight has a great user interface, it's so easy to catch on and play around.
  • DraftSight contains the most common tools and preferences that are needed for basic drafting.
  • It's just not too complicated. Many programs require intense training to use well and DraftSight doesn't. It's a good starter program that boosts confidence and teaches at the same time.
  • Of course they could always expand the toolbox. They have the necessary tools but increasing their capabilities would make the program a huge competitor on the market.
  • More help resources would make the learning process go by quicker.
DraftSight is a great program for smaller companies or companies who want their employees to get a soft start into drafting and CAD-like programs. While it doesn't have the entire toolbox you may find in a competitor's software, it has a lot and you can learn a lot from it. Beyond that, it's incredibly affordable and not a huge loss if your employee can't learn it or if it doesn't end up being necessary for your company.
March 27, 2019

User Review: "DraftSight gets the job done"

DraftSight is currently used by many individuals in our company, both in the Engineering department and adjacent departments. It handles all the tasks we need it to do with regards to .dwg and .dxf files, from individual component drawings to plant layouts. DraftSight is a fully functional 2D drawing tool.
  • Accessing .dwg/.dxf files.
  • Editing .dwg/.dxf files.
  • Saving .dwg/.dxf files.
  • Simplicity.
  • The free version is going away in 2019.
  • Some commands are difficult to find.
Well suited to the occasional .dwg/.dxf user. Probably doesn't make sense for a casual view-only user.
January 29, 2019

DraftSight Review: "Great alternative to the big named DWG editors!"

We are an ArchiCAD based firm and decided to get Draftsight to enable users to load and edit AutoCAD files, without having to invest in their licenses. It's been a great success as it has similar commands. The interface is user-friendly and it's been deployed to all users across the office.
  • A few issues with support initially but seemed to have found it better recently
  • Same with installation, was hard but now have a GPO that installs it well (so not a real con I suppose)
  • A few people still moan that it "isn't AutoCAD"
Its fantastic for a practice that doesn't want the heavy costs of AutoCAD (2D) or already have invested elsewhere, like graphisoft or Bentley solutions and need something to fall back on "just in case". The free version is fantastic, and then the paid version gives additional support and features if you require it.
March 14, 2019

User Review: "Go for DraftSight"

I had been working with the Auto CAD for 18 years since I started working on antenna mechanical designs. But when I got to the U.S. 4 years ago, I could not use Auto CAD because my U.S. company did not have a license. However, I found DraftSight for free, even for commercial things.
I can actually say that DraftSight saved me from using my company’s software system. Now I am using Creo 3 for 3D design and converting it to the DXF file so I can make it more detailed with DraftSight for Engineering.

I thought the Pro version was inconvenient and not much different from the basic Draftsight. It took even more time to design with. But then I got a new laptop with upgraded RAM and CPU and there was no more lagging or slowness when using DraftSight.
  • Our factory side and customers are happy with the detailed drawings created by Draftsight.
  • I bought the DraftSight professional version 5 month ago, which put me to work quickly. The company doesn't even know that I paid for DraftSight professional myself, but I am happy with its better performance.
  • I think the functionality is good enough for my work.
  • If DrafSsight could provide the PDF conversion function itself, that would be super great.
Any design engineer will be able to easily use DraftSight for any design review or prototype build for your project. It is a very useful tool.
February 11, 2019

DraftSight Review: "A better alternative to AutoCAD"

I and a team of three other drafters took it for trial. We were using Draftsight as an alternative to AutoCAD.
  • CAD designing.
  • MEP designs.
  • Cheap alternative to AutoCAD
  • A more user-friendly Interface.
  • Native file support.
  • Industry-specific layouts and products.
The only scenario I find this product well suited is the price factor as compared to AutoCAD. There are also better alternatives that provide a similar experience and features to this on the market.
June 12, 2018

Review: "Draftsight - reliable 2D Sketching software in oil & gas industry"

Once the process team finalizes the design, we give a Draftsight sketch of the equipment design to estimate and to come up with a cost. Once our bid becomes a project, our electrical engineering will make the initial sketch more accurately with the right instrumentation and pass it to the design engineering for 3D modeling. It will also be sent to the Customer at both stages - once for understanding, and later for approval.
  • Draftsight is an easy to use 2D sketching software
  • Well suited for Oil & Gas Industry - equipment design
  • Faster to learn and is compatible with other software
  • Can be made more robust
  • There can be detailed tutorial or library with the legend of the symbols
Draftsight suits well for oil & gas companies where the sketch needs to be made quickly at the bidding phase - which provides understanding to the customer about the project scope, and also makes the cost estimation of the project easier. It is an industry-wide standard software and is used very often by several companies.
June 06, 2018

User Review: "Draftsight - 2D Drawing software"

In every project, we use DraftSight for piping and instrument drawing which will be used by our design team to prepare 3D models. Draftsight drawing is almost the first step in every project. Actually, most of the time, this step starts even before winning the project - at the bidding stage. These drawings help in understanding the scope of the project in the early stage of the project lifecycle.
  • Industry standard practices
  • Compatibility
  • More customization features
  • Importing or exporting from or to other software programs
It is well suited in scenarios where you need a visual representation of actual project scope, this is because we can include electrical components and details in this drawing with different symbols that are used as standard across the industry. As this is done early in the project, can be a good start for cost estimating and also for 3d drawings.
John Cruet Jr., AIA profile photo
February 21, 2018

DraftSight Review: "Native DWG Program for Proofing Translations"

Draftsight is a program available on line from Dassault systems. it is a basic drafting program which utilizes OpenDWG, so it is fully compatible with AutoCad. All that being said, my main use of Draftsignt is to check translations from my main program, PowerCadd, to DWG. It is very helpful in that it allows one to view the document as it might be viewed by an AutoCad user. Also, another helpful feature of Draftsight is its ability to save a DWG document in an earlier format, say it would open an AutoCad 2016 document and allow me to save it as an AutoCad 2013 document. The program makes good use of the MacOS interface. Once the document is viewed in Draftsignt, the program has enough tools that allows the user to fully edit lines, blocks, text, etc. Or, as an option, simply return to the main program and edit the document there. For Mac users using PowerCadd or any other program that requires translation to DWG for AutoCad users, this program is recommended. And the price is very reasonable.
  • Saves in native DWG format
  • Allows a document to be saved to be read by earlier versions of AutoCad
  • Makes good use of MacOS interface
  • Sufficient tools allow editing of the document within the program
  • Could use more extensive libraries. This is a basic drafting program, so for an additional cost, there are add-ons making the program more useful.
  • Delete function doesn't work intuitively.
  • Lacks "power tools" which would enable line cleanups, snap to objects, etc.
Draftsight is well-suited for proofing and editing documents translated to DWG from other programs. Draftsight has some value as a standalone 2D CAD program with a good array of tools. Opting for a version of Draftsight which is more professional grade and more useful doesn't carry with it a very heavy price tag. In basic use, Draftsight has many of the basic disadvantages of AutoCAD LT, with its limited "power tools" and libraries. Functions like dimensioning are tricky.
Read John Cruet Jr., AIA's full review
Floyd Finch profile photo
February 16, 2018

DraftSight Review: "Greatest bargain in the 2d drafting world."

DraftSight is the software I have personally installed on my own computer. When I first started using DraftSight it was for freelance work. Now I use it for working at home and on the road because it is the best .dwg compatible software you can get for the price. On my recommendation a couple of my colleagues have installed it on their own computers to use when they are away from work b DraftSight access drawings to deal with after hours emergency calls. If you are an Autocad LT user you can open DraftSight and be working productively in minutes, especially if you use keyboard shortcuts. If you're a SOLIDWORKS user it gives you a way to view and edit 2D .dwgs exported from SOLIDWORKS.
  • Full 2D .dwg compatibility. You can open and manipulate any drawing that you can with the leading brand's LT software.
  • It has a small stable footprint on your computer that dosn't consume valuable resources like some other CAD programs.
  • DraftSight is available for multiple operating systems, including Linux!
  • Let's face it price matters, even enterprise installations of DraftSight are less than individual licenses of most software in its class. For the individual user for working at home or freelancing it is the deal of the century. Even the free version is great although you lose some of the functionality of the paid version.
  • The best part of all is that you don't sacrifice quality and performance to get the low price. It's 99% as capable as software costing 10 times as much.
  • The hardest thing for me to get used to was setting up printing layouts because the menu & commands are just different enough that there's a little learning curve to that menu. This is not really a problem but it still trips me up when switching back & forth between software brands.
  • Occasionally I try a .dwg keyboard command that does not match what I am expecting but the help menu always points me in the right direction.
  • The most annoying thing is not caused by DraftSight, but when you open your saved drawing the next day at work with Autocad it will give you a warning that the .dwg is not a trusted .dwg this is not the fault of Draftsight but it is annoying.
If all you need to draw is 2D layout and detail drawings with good .dwg interchangeability then you really just can't beat DraftSight for even 10 times the money. If you occasionally work from home, if you're a freelancer or a student I highly recommend that you use it. Same thing if you're an enterprise that deals in 2D drawings and schematics such as irrigation or home electrical.
Read Floyd Finch's full review
David Noah profile photo
February 15, 2018

User Review: "DraftSight A OK!"

We used DraftSight to edit and review our database of old CAD files and update our current dwg. extension drawings for our CAM software. We also used this to edit old drawings in our instruction manuals. We found it easier to use DraftSight than trying to do these operations in Solidworks.
  • Excellent conversion between dwg. and other formats.
  • Easy to use interface for creating 2D drawings.
  • Great too for making quick sketches to show customers.
  • Sometimes it runs buggy or freezes up the screen.
  • Would be nice to have more options with the color schemes/ contrast.
A good alternative to AutoCAD especially when working with dxf. or dwg. extensions. Used as a bridge between solidworks and our old database of AutoCAD drawings. Good file coversion to get old files into newer formats to aid in updated to 3D programs. Also works well for making quick sketches when conducting meetings with customers.
Read David Noah's full review

DraftSight Scorecard Summary

About DraftSight

DraftSight is a feature-rich 2D and 3D CAD solution for architects, engineers and construction service providers, as well as professional CAD users, designers, educators and hobbyists. DraftSight lets users create, edit, view, and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency. According to the vendor, its familiar user interface facilitates a quick transition from other CAD applications.

DraftSight Offerings:
  • DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
  • DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
  • DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
  • DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.

DraftSight Features

SketchUp, TurboCAD, AutoCAD LT

DraftSight Standard$99per year
DraftSight Professional$199per year
DraftSight Premium (3D)$499per year

DraftSight Standard, Professional, and Premium are available to purchase online directly. DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus are available to purchase through your local reseller.

DraftSight Support Options