Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of DraftSight, and make your voice heard!
DraftSight Premium (3D)
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
- Tech Details
- DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
- DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
- DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
- DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.
- Supported: Image Tracer
- Supported: HomeByMe Integration
- Supported: Power Trim
- GEOVIA Surpac
- SOLIDWORKS PDM
- SOLIDWORKS Electrical
- 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
|Operating Systems||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Supported Languages||English, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, Turkish, Russian|
- Handles DWG files very well.
- It is a robust program and handles large files better than some other similar programs I've used.
- It is more responsive than other similar programs I've used.
- I like the two-key and multilple-key command structure. It is intuitive.
- It has some great tools for drawing bolts and other types of fasteners.
- Recognizes and uses 3D Connexion controller.
- Interface could be optimized to provide more screen space for drawings.
- Zooming in and out using the mouse wheel could be improved.
- Inserting viewports and setting them up could be made easier and more intuitive
- Reads and writes Autocad files without a problem.
- Flexible user interface with lots of options.
- Good tools for 2D design.
- The text search and replace is very crude and barely works. Needs a major revamping.
- The layout tabs are very clunky and hard to use. Needs to be fixed.
- DraftSight will fix a problem in one version, mess it up in another version, then fix it again later on. And so forth, and so forth, and so forth. Very poor software update control.
- No Training
- Imports legacy CAD data
- In my opinion, customer support is too time-consuming. When you do get an answer half the time it is related to your question which is pretty good, but who has 16 hours to wait for that?
- Interface could be far more stable
- Snap settings turn themselves off
- Dimension in "paper space" may or may not provide accurate dimensions
- Same line weight issues as AutoCAD. by block, by layer, has little effect. Printing line weights can be a guessing game.
- Block access is fixed to one location, instead of last used location.
- Extreme care is required when mouse picking. Make sure you are not picking in air, instead of the end of a line that is a millimeter away. Even with snap on.
- It allows me to quickly fit equipment into tight spaces because it is very flexible.
- It is easy to learn and use, and its numerous features give me many options in the design phase.
- It provides me with a single tool to design everything from layouts to instrumentation drawings.
- It enables independent small users like me to wield the design capability of a large enterprise.
- It would be more efficient to have direct access to Help Support, although the Help feature and Forum can often answer questions.
- For instrumentation, an embedded symbol library would be valuable. I currently have to create my own library.
- For layouts, an embedded equipment symbol library (for example, pumps, motors) would be helpful.
- No Training
- Universal compatibility with other programs
- Ability to insert parts from individual manufactures
- The tool box feature is a definite plus
- It has minor problems when saving drawings - Crashes if you initiate certain commands while program is saving a drawing
- No Training
- Very similar to AutoCAD
- Professional is a very powerful program
- Power trim is great for cleaning up drawings
- There should be technical support for all users. It is very frustrating to have failures occur over and over with no help.
- Training videos could be more detailed.
- Image Tracer is a nice addition, but I have not been able to figure it out.
- Layer Management
- Contextual application (Right mouse click)
- Print layout
- Home by Me window always pops-up on startup! Annoying in my opinion
- Why open a No-Name_0 window? I am almost always going to open a file!
- Slow to open
- Integrates AutoCAD drawings into DraftSight seamlessly.
- Capable of using LISP routines that I have used for years.
- Opens DWG files from files sent to us that we would not normally be able to open.
- 3D capability is lacking.
- Stability can be an issue sometimes
- Newest version doesnt run LISP as well as previous versions did
- No Training
- Can use and save documents to a usable DWG format
- New versions of DraftSight change (eliminate) features that I like to use.
- Customer Service is non-existent so issues cannot be resolved.
- Blogs are not a solution to customer service questions.
- No Training
- Opens newer .dwg and .dxf files.
- Easy to use menus.
- Similar to AutoCAD style for easy transition.
- User friendly
- Clear user interface (GUI)
- 3D in the basic form
- Increases Productivity
- Easy modification and change of design
- Task bar emblems could be larger
- Better printing control for older plotters
- Doesn't work
- Technical support
- Customer support
I asked for a trial license to try the fix but it was declined. Ask pratiksha.dahotre and gayatri.keskar for details.
In summary, they released a broken version, I helped to fix by providing feedback and error logs. They claimed it is fixed but I can't test it.
- Architectural projects
- Compatibility with other CADs
- Friendly interface
- easiest PDF export in scale and formats
- I don't like the home panel on the left that pops up every time I start the software
- Works with other .dwg files - AutoCAD
- Shortcuts - I seldom even touch the keyboard for anything besides numbers
- Simple to learn
- Mouse gestures
- CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!!!!!!
- Video learning for EVERYTHING .
- When I search for a command, more generic terms - i.e. - you call it hatch, but I may be asking for cross-hatching or hatching and nothing shows up.
- Easy to install.
- Printing and making pdf views.
- Opens many formats of drawings and easy to scan around on the drawing.
- We like to be able to do some simple structural analysis with add-on programs and we are not aware of any that work with DraftSight.
- reads/writes DWG files
- provides an economical alternative to other CADD applications for plan processing
- closely mimics the command interface of a prominent DWG CADD application
- Tutorials are provided for use of the application [and] are introductory in scope.
- Open-source access to tool modification for user profiles does not consistently save user preferences.
- During a 3-year period of application assessment, we were unable to secure direct customer service for the application (i.e. "how do I...").
- Writing useful .dwg files
- Lightweight footprint, easy to configure
- The lower cost versus AutoCAD
- Customization could be easier
- Implementation over enterprise applications could be better
- Customer service has been spotty
- Simple to use.
- A lot of features.
- Very fast.
- Is just a 2D CAD not 3D.
- Low cost.
- Get rid of pop-up tools.
- Program stalls/buffers on large drawings at times requiring reboots.