DraftSight Reviews

Adrian Eade | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 14, 2020

Swift and easy to use!

It's being used by a couple of designers for the electrical, fire alarm designs within our organization as part of our ongoing commitment to clients needs. It also assists our installation teams in designing around problems they encounter on sites, so that we can show progress and development for future installations.
  • Fast operating system.
  • Easy to use.
  • Good learning guide.
  • A few times it has crashed when modifying a text box and then returning back to the drawing at key stages which has caused loss of work.
  • The option back up could be done every minute to help save work when it crashes.
It doesn't need updating as much as say AutoCAD and a lot easier and more straightforward to use. We have AutoCAD on another PC and it won't open earlier versions of the drawings, where DraftSight will open and can save in most formats, our CAD technician is always asking us to convert drawings for him.
Read Adrian Eade's full review
Matthew Buxton | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 27, 2020

DraftSight: Organized, Affordable, and Collaborative

Our company uses DraftSight across two departments. It addresses our design concerns regarding space availability and general arrangements of our builds. With DraftSight we can generate P&ID and other process flow drawings quickly and efficiently. This enhances communication across different teams. DraftSight also manages our block libraries across the organization helping us to remain consistent with our drafting conventions and symbols.
  • Manages symbol and block libraries
  • Intuitive interface
  • Familiar commands
  • Engineering tools
  • The quick toolbar could deploy further away from the mouse pointer and could be accessed with the number keys instead of moving the mouse cursor to click them.
DraftSight excels at generating detailed assemblies, construction, and layout drawings. I find it less appropriate at generating electrical schematics and drawings involving wiring as there are no smart tools for wiring diagrams or termination diagrams. These drawings can be done with DraftSight but they do take a lot longer than other products on the market.
Read Matthew Buxton's full review
Greg Daulby | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

DraftSight Review

Draftsight is used by myself and one other designer for 2D CAD purposes to aid us with the technical designs of our products.
  • Precise and detailed drawings for use in manufacturing
  • Examining files/drawings we receive from our supplies and companies we work with
  • The user interface is less smooth than some competitors'
  • Hard to get support if you can't resolve issues yourself
DraftSight is useful in 2D drafting situations such as creating floorplans or interior elevations. Also, it is useful when creating detailed drawings to instruct on the manufacturing of an item. It would not be useful if you were looking to create 3D models of an item.
Read Greg Daulby's full review
Michael Bufalini | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 20, 2020

DraftSight Gives AutoCAD a Run For Its Money

It is being used as an individual. I downloaded after my company went through a restructuring of software and wanted to wait to determine how we were going to utilize AutoCAD within our company. I found DraftSight after looking for a company AutoDesk alternative to CAD with similar functionality and DraftSight came highly recommended by many review sites. It helped our team do solar construction designs and work up simple details to aid us in building large projects.
  • Similar functions/keystrokes to AutoCAD/AutoDesk.
  • Beginner to Intermediate level users won't notice a difference to AutoCAD.
  • 3D functionality.
  • Missing many of the higher level functionality that AutoDesk/AutoCAD provided.
I enjoyed using this software as an AutoCAD/Autodesk replacement for close to three years. I used it for work to design 2D solar layouts, solar details, wiring diagrams, etc. I also used this to make a CAD design of my home and wiring diagrams for renovation projects within my house. I found it very easy to use and beginner level tasks and functionality.
Read Michael Bufalini's full review
Dick Karsky | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 24, 2020

An economical alternate to Autocadd

I use Draftsight to design equipment that is used by the company that I do consulting with. These are mechanical parts and assemblies. I like the Draftsight product but the company that sells the product just passes the buck and does not help the customer.
  • DraftSight is easy to use if you are familiar with Autocad but a lot less expensive.
  • If you are using DraftSight professional the hardware catalog and other drawings are easy to insert in the drawing you are working on.
  • It is easy to create a bill of materials once an assembly is created.
  • Drawings are easy to create with dimensions in standard form.
  • An easier startup menu for set up drawing defaults would be nice.
  • Product takes a long time to load with no indiction that it is loading just a blak screen.
Once the drawing is created it is easy to create an assembly drawing and a BOM. The reason for the 3 rating is cleverbridge not draftsight. I would give the drawing product itself a 9+.
Read Dick Karsky's full review
Sean Nutley | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 28, 2020

DraftSight, a great lower cost alternative to AutoCAD.

We use DraftSight as our primary 2D CAD system and we have 12 users.
  • The Toolbox feature is very useful. Adding in fasteners, weld symbols and machine finish symbols make things much easier.
  • The Annotative scale option is very helpful keeping track of things.
  • The fact that this is very similar to AutoCAD is very helpful. I was only trained in AutoCAD and was able to pickup DraftSight immediately.
  • I have unexpected crashes in many different situations.
  • Some of the program's behaviour is unexpected when a feature should be available.
  • The licensing system has been a problem.
It is great for Mechanical Design/Engineering, heavy-duty equipment, and mill layout work. I can't see it being useful in interior design where finished rendered images are required.
Read Sean Nutley's full review
Chiara Ricci | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 20, 2020

DraftSight Review

I haven't used it for very long, but right now I am using DraftSight to create small designs for kitchen and bathroom remodeling. Getting to learn how to design with it as a previous AutoCAD and SketchUp user is my biggest challenge, but I feel I can easily learn more, and I will continue practicing with it.
  • Rendering of materials
  • Velocity in creating models
  • Interior dimensions
I personally like DraftSight for small projects where I am only creating one room at a time. I am having difficulties recreating specific measurements when I only have those of the interiors of the house.
Read Chiara Ricci's full review
KEITH TAYLOR | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 18, 2020

DraftSight Review

I use DraftSight every day and really like it. My reason for the low score is due to the inability to use it at home without deactivating it at work so I can activate it at home and vise versa. It is a real pain to do this especially if I forget to deactivate it at home, then I'm screwed at work. I would give this 5 stars if this issue were fixed. I did call in to discuss this with people at DraftSight, but their answer back to me was to purchase another seat if I want it at home. I work from home as well as at work and have been very frustrated with all I have talked with. I'm not trying to steal something, just make better use of my time. I use another software for my design work and they offer me the ability to have one copy at home and one at work. I have looked into other drawing programs and am not far from doing away with DraftSight due to this simple thought process.
  • The classic mode emulates AutoCAD almost identically.
  • The ability to save in many different formats is great.
  • Ease of plotting.
  • The ability to have one copy at home and one at work.
If I could get a copy for work and one for home, it would be 5 stars across the board with me.
Read KEITH TAYLOR's full review
John Pileggi | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 13, 2020

Affordable solution for your 2D CAD needs!

DraftSight is being used only by myself to perform quantity take-offs from blueprints.
  • Attaches PDF files
  • I'd like the capability of summing the lengths of all line segments on a layer with one command.
I am not aware of any scenarios where DraftSight is not well suited.
Read John Pileggi's full review
Hanno Hickman | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 11, 2020

Why DraftSight vs other CAD products

I use it for Civil Engineering and Municipal services CAD-drawings only on a stand-alone station.
  • All the functions work quite easily if you are used to AutoCAD.
  • HELP function is a bit too advanced for someone who is just starting with drafting.
DraftSight is well suited for Georeferencing.
Read Hanno Hickman's full review
Joe Shoemaker | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 10, 2020

DraftSight is a good alternative to AutoCad.

We use DraftSight to collaborate with AutoCad users, as well as update drawings.
  • Opens and saves in DWG as well as DXF formats.
  • Paper space could be easier to set up.
  • Block function is a bit cumbersome.
Draftsight is very competitively priced for the functionality. Has a similar interface to other cad programs.
Read Joe Shoemaker's full review
Jocelyn Sicard | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 28, 2020

DraftSight: Precise and easy to use

DraftSight is being used to create our scope of work. I can exactly indicate where our product needs to be installed on a scaled PDF. DraftSight works great and fulfills our needs.
  • Add a lookup when you are looking for a feature
DraftSight is effective to scale PDF plans. You need to have some basic computer skills.
Read Jocelyn Sicard's full review
Emily Mattei | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 03, 2020

All in all, a good fit for a small design firm

I use Draftsight on a daily basis to create interior architectural drawings for high-end residential design projects. I work together with architects, across a variety of drafting/design platforms, to create design details to be built in new construction and renovations.
  • When I started using Draftsight it was attractive because it was free. As a small business start-up, keeping my costs down was a huge plus. As my business has grown, I now pay for the professional version.
  • The interface is clear and user-friendly.
  • I am not really sure what benefits there are to the professional version over the free version.
  • The program tends to crash pretty frequently which sometimes causes work to be lost.
If you were taught drafting on AutoCAD and have not transitioned to a more BIM-type of drafting program, Draftsight is a great alternative. More cost-effective, and a good solution for a small business. Our in-office design standards and line weights work fine when we work with architects who are operating in other systems the drawings get a little funky when sharing files. It takes more work to get them to be legible and look professional moving between programs.
Read Emily Mattei's full review
Reggie Freedman | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 31, 2019

Affordable user-friendly drawing needs solution

I use DraftSight for the beginnings of the start of creative engineering ideas, brainstorming pieces, making templates for model workup and the cutout and assembly of paper, cardboard, balusa mockups that will provide and prove in 3D, concept dimensions and visual true size aids to team members from other contributors and other interested members to touch and hold visualize.
  • Easy to learn.
  • Accurate.
  • Remember last printer settings/selections for repeating printing.
  • Quick access to modifying/adding default starting documents settings, like right click to disable showing.
Very well suited for dimensional specific detailed drawing. I'd like to see adding an import of sketches, napkin/notes as ideas to preserve original thought sources. Excellent for paper pattern creation to scale for cutout and assembly to share visually with other people.
Read Reggie Freedman's full review
Greg Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 31, 2020

Excellent software for designing your camper van layout

I am constructing a camper van and I use DraftSight for all the interior cupboard design.
  • Good interface with Autocad.
  • Can export files for CNC purposes.
  • Layers very effective for design purposes.
  • I find difficulty with remembering all the shortcuts to insert in the command line.
  • Amending the standard defaults for dimensions, size and fonts.
Worked well with designing a van layout as the many layers could be used for the insertion of alternate equipment into the design to test for fit.
Read Greg Johnson's full review
Griscia Pastacaldi | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2019

DraftSight as the best choice for 2D technical drawings

I use DraftSight for the 2D drawings of naval engineering.
  • Very simple learning and daily use.
  • Very similar to AutoCAD. Better in my opinion.
  • Quite cheap if compared to similar others. This is not so important for a professional user, but anyway a gain on the comparison.
  • I just would like a better import tool for the application of drawing created with other software, Microstation in particular.
DraftSight is very, very good for 2D drawings. It is not so good for 3D.
Read Griscia Pastacaldi's full review
Glen Morgan | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 03, 2019

Good program. Fairly easy to learn. Completely compatible with all .dwg files

I use DraftSight to make furniture details of new designs. I send these to manufacturers that I work for and they are produced in factories in the US, China and Vietnam. It is great for quick and accurate information on how to build new furniture samples and info can be exchanged back and forth.
  • Works with other .dwg files - AutoCAD
  • Shortcuts - I seldom even touch the keyboard for anything besides numbers
  • Simple to learn
  • Mouse gestures
  • CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!!!!!!
  • Video learning for EVERYTHING .
  • When I search for a command, more generic terms - i.e. - you call it hatch, but I may be asking for cross-hatching or hatching and nothing shows up.
I use DraftSight with no classes or training, and it is much more than capable of doing furniture drafting, which is wood mostly with no mechanical fasteners, reasonably uncomplicated. Anything like that, it is very easy to learn and use. I am sure it can do much more
Read Glen Morgan's full review
George Bynum | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2019

Useful software

I am the organization, for whatever it is; I'm essentially retired, helping out a few of my "customers" at perhaps a 5% or 10% level. I work perhaps an average of 2 days a month. I am occasionally sent drawings by newer versions of AutoCAD than that which I own and have substantially customized to do single-line hydraulic and pneumatic circuit diagrams. DraftSight allows my opening and saving them in a compatible format. I probably use it 2 or 3 times a year.
  • Opens every CAD format I run into.
  • Saves into an AutoCAD format compatible with the heavily customized version I own.
  • For the tiny use I have, there is nothing that needs to be changed.
Draftsight has proven capable of opening all CAD formats to which I've been exposed. Neither it nor newer versions of AutoCAD (I own and use 2002, own but do not use 2004 for menu customization reasons) work with my customized menu, and my use is too infrequent to consider creating a new structure.
Read George Bynum's full review
Steve Pennock | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2019

I was a newbie...

I use it strictly for my own benefit. I have an offsite design engineer that does the bulk of the design work, then he sends it to me and I'm allowed to review and tweak as needed. Being around ACAD for 20 years but never actually learning it completely and the ease of this software to learn has been excellent. And the help references are really good.
  • Ease of learning
  • I'll leave that up to the experts, I like it just like it is.
DraftSight is well suited when you need something that works well with other software and allows you to add and/or modify drawings.
Read Steve Pennock's full review
Bob Amburn | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 29, 2019

Inexpensive, but somewhat ineffective.

Our boss replaced his AutoCAD 2000 with this because he can customize his shortcuts/icons and it is cheap. He and I use it. It allows us to continue design work without purchasing an expensive new license of AutoCAD.
  • Cheap
  • Replaces AutoCAD
  • 1:1 plotting does NOT work 1:1. It's about 1:0.96
1:1 full scale printing does not print 1:1 full scale. It prints about 1:0.96. We MUST have EXACTLY 1:1 for our templates. For this reason, I am extremely disappointed. However, my boss uses it very effectively, and interestingly, his prints exactly 1:1. Our settings are the same, plotter is the same plotter, not similar, but the very same plotter. He loves it; I hate it.
Read Bob Amburn's full review
May 20, 2020

DraftSight: Powerful and inexpensive!

We use DraftSight for drafting shop drawings for our CNC machines.
  • Fairly simple to use
  • Lots of online resources
  • Customer service
  • Easier access to customer service
DraftSight is well suited for drawing stuff up for CNC machinery.
May 08, 2020

DraftSight Review

DraftSight is used for individual use of CAD operation of steel structural design in my company. I am a member of the sales engineering dept. My main task is to propose structural design to minimize fabrication and transportation cost of the buildings. When I describe steel structural plans, I make some blueprints using DraftSight.
  • DraftSight is completely compatible with AutoCAD commands
  • DraftSight is extremely light. I'm so satisfied by its good response.
  • Good cost performance--you can use 3D CAD operation at such a low price.
  • I have some difficulty in printing some blueprints using DraftSight. There is some difference between it and AutoCAD.
  • There are few FAQs--when I google commands for DraftSight, FAQs for AutoCAD always hit
  • I have some difficulty with snap points. I set some snap utilities in the menu, but sometimes this customized setting vanishes when I do CAD operation. I have to recover it each time it vanishes.
I think for constructional use, DraftSight is well suited, especially in collaboration with AutoCAD. In my job, ideas are described by 2D blueprint made by various CAD software. In such an environment, DraftSight is well suited. On the contrary, when I use some 3D CAD files, software crashes more often than AutoCAD. In this viewpoint, I think it is less appropriate for complicated 3D CAD operation.
April 27, 2020

Cost-effective and easy-to-use CAD software for the small business

DraftSight in my organization is for single-use by owner to prepare drawings for fire safety plans.
  • powerful
  • easy to use with little training
  • accessible
  • comparable with well established CAD programs
  • affordable and economical
  • I haven't found anything to worry about at this point of use.
DraftSight is great for creating 2D drawings for architectural references.

About DraftSight

DraftSight is a feature-rich 2D and 3D CAD solution for architects, engineers and construction service providers, as well as professional CAD users, designers, educators and hobbyists. DraftSight lets users create, edit, view, and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency. According to the vendor, its familiar user interface facilitates a quick transition from other CAD applications.

DraftSight Offerings:
  • DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
  • DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
  • DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
  • DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.

DraftSight Features

SketchUp, TurboCAD, AutoCAD LT

DraftSight Standard$99per year
DraftSight Professional$199per year
DraftSight Premium (3D)$499per year

DraftSight Standard, Professional, and Premium are available to purchase online directly. DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus are available to purchase through your local reseller.

DraftSight Support Options