DraftSight Reviews

Martin West-Huckabey | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 09, 2020

Great Platform to Learn CAD

The company I work for plans retail brick and mortar hardware and building material stores. We use DraftSight to plan the retail space inside the stores. I can quickly draw up a footprint of the space with doors, windows, and support features like columns. Then I drop-in pre-drawn retail fixtures and checkout and the store is ready for our store planner to quote and present to the customer for review. With the tools and features in DraftSight, I can crank out 3 stores a day. DraftSight also allows me to quickly try out multiple retail fixture layouts for our customers to customize their retail space.
  • The layer isolation tool allows me to quickly edit items on a single layer without interfering with the other drawing components.
  • Also, using the "ctrl+f" along with the text edit feature lets me edit multiple text locations on the drawing in one dialog box.
  • Dimension text edit is a great tool to assign an area to a department such as plumbing or lawn & garden to a selected sequence of retail fixtures.
  • Many of the commands I used in other drafting programs are used as alias commands here. The ones that aren't, can be added as a command.
  • I have trouble getting a PDF property to stick when exporting.
  • Setting up a new layer will keep the pen assignment if the layer you are below or have selected.
  • I am not wild about how to set up print profiles in DraftSight. They have to be tweaked every time. I would like to be able to save them as a setup file or profile.
DraftSight is great for architectural layouts. One weakness is you cannot edit the text in a leader. I don't like that function. It does need improvement.
Read Martin West-Huckabey's full review
paul bailey | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 23, 2020

Non-professional use of Draftsight

I used it to publish hydro-graphic surveys and produce drawings for other users. Allows use of 3rd party cad drawings and geo-referenced surveys and mapping.
  • Simple to understand, especially if you have no previous experience of cad systems.
  • Output in PDF allows for quick sharing of results.
Well suited for import of survey data onto prepared drawing and allowing manipulation to give better visual representation to 3rd party user.
Gives the ability to accept 3rd party information and own data sets and produce own output drawings in a timely fashion in house and return and manipulate easily.
Read paul bailey's full review
Craig Rettew | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 05, 2020

Everything you need in a 2D drafting program

I use DraftSight to view/create 2D drawings for electrical design, woodworking, laser cutting, and machining. It is important to be precise when it comes to engineering design and tools such as ESnap in DraftSight help facilitate that precision. Recently, I was trying to create a specific shaped PCB and could easily sketch it out in 2D space with precision using command-driven tools. I can then save as a DXF file which is accepted by most of the other circuit design tools I use.
  • Intuitive interface
  • Cost-effective
  • Command-driven
  • More features than I'll ever need
  • Tools for precision
  • Variety of file types to save-as
  • Highly customizable interface that will take too much time to get perfect
  • Sometimes difficult to find the exact setting you need to change
AutoCAD alternative that does most of what AutoCAD does at a fraction of the cost.
I like precision and the ESnap feature allows me to make fewer mistakes.
Read Craig Rettew's full review
Jerry Tyberghein | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 30, 2020

Easy to use--use the mouse wheel shortcuts!

Our sales engineers use it to design custom HVAC units for customers.
  • Efficient
  • Easy to learn
  • Mouse wheel shortcuts are amazing
  • Sometimes has glitches
  • Crashes on occasion
DraftSight does everything you need from a 2D CAD software for quick designs. The efficiency of the mouse wheel shortcuts cuts time in half.
Yes, using the mouse wheel shortcut and minimal macros, we gain efficiency.
Read Jerry Tyberghein's full review
Andrew Lula | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 28, 2020

My DraftSight Review

DraftSight is used as the primary 2D CAD software at Corvac. We use it to create and modify floorplans for manufacturing cells. It helps address issues such as process flow, space constraints, and even opportunities for improvement within existing production cells.
  • Provide a quick method for viewing 2D files
  • Provide an easy way to move and try different configurations
  • Provide creation service that is easy for everyone
  • Needs more tools for creating objects easily
  • Provide an option for non-black background
DraftSight is best suited for scenarios where this 2D software is primarily used as a viewing and light modification software.
Yes, Corvac has achieved this through implementing a cheap software that many engineers can use to reduce dependency on the CAD group.
Read Andrew Lula's full review
Randall Moore | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 08, 2020

DraftSight Review

DraftSight is used individually to prepare engineering drawings and details. This software package provides approximately the same 2D designing/drafting features as AutoCAD, but it is less resource-intensive. Its biggest benefit may be its functionality vs. its cost, as being a low-cost alternative to AutoCAD. Our primary focus is 2D drawings and DraftSight is an exemplary tool for that use.
  • Prepare engineering plan drawings; it is relatively easy to use and is a low-cost alternative to AutoCad.
  • Develop engineering sketches quickly and efficiently and easy to publish documentation for construction work packages
  • Open CAD files from other firms for printing or scanning or use as backgrounds for my DraftSight drawings
  • The limitations of the DraftSight product probably have more to do with my own limitations as compared to the software's functionality.
  • Being a smaller player in the 2D CAD field, the number of add-ons or other software that may be industry-specific that you might could use with AutoCAD may be limited in DraftSight.
I find DraftSight intuitive and easy to use. For my use in creating relatively simple 2D documents, it is an essential tool. If I needed to use a 3D CAD package more often, this would be limited with DraftSight, but for my applications 2D is ideal.
It is especially beneficial for getting drawings out if there are revisions. Revisions are easy to implement to use DraftSight to modify existing files. I have found this to be efficient and productive, and again, DraftSight relatively easy to use.
Read Randall Moore's full review
Massimiliano Mazzini | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 04, 2020

The beauty of a simple, fast, and intuitive CAD.

It is being used by an individual. DraftSight is useful for mechanical plant design. It is very user friendly and easy to use. I use it at work for different projects mainly to verify dimensions, and I use it personally at home doing shop drawings and as-built drawings and some construction drawings. I have used the standard 2D and found that I was able to use 3D since it is similar to the 2D drafting and you can jump back and forth easily. I use DraftSight for a lot of things. I do take-offs and square footage for materials, but also use it as a working platform for engineering designs and working with designers/architects.
  • DraftSight is a simple to use CAD that allows you to make the most of the entire design phase of the drawings.
  • Intuitive
  • Speed up productivity
  • Yearly cost is affordable.
  • Better management of tables
  • Better management of quotas
  • Better print styles management
DraftSight is definitely good for making 2D drawings in the field of engineering. It is very useful to represent the schemes of heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation systems, fire-fighting systems, etc. It is also excellent in the field of architecture for making plans and elevations or to draw the construction of mechanical or electrical parts.

I don't think it is useful for BIM or 3D modeling or for creating multimedia systems, videos, etc.
Absolutely, yes! Being intuitive, it was quick and easy to use it for drawings. Being an energy engineer I also use a software called mc4. But the CAD of mc4 is much more complicated. Using as a cad DraftSight allows me to open and share files easily even with architects, civil engineers, and electrical engineers. The use of intuitive commands allows me to be very fast in creating a drawing. Also, the option of making blocks is very useful!
Read Massimiliano Mazzini's full review
Steven Nielsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 12, 2020

DraftSight affordable CAD program

I am the only one in my organization using DraftSight. I use it at work for different projects mainly to verify dimensions and I use it personally at home doing shop drawings and as built drawing and some construction drawings. I have used both the Premium 3D as well as standard 2D and found that I was able to use 3D since it is similar to the 2D drafting and you can jump back and forth easily.
  • It seamlessly reads and writes dwg files.
  • It is reasonably priced.
  • You can do 3D as well as 2D drawings.
  • It has commands that make sense like makeblock.
  • I found it a little difficult to get in touch with someone when I had questions.
  • It was a little different from AutoCAD so there was some learning curve.
  • Since I am the only one using it, I wish I could have it on two computers, my laptop and desktop, without paying for a full subscription for both.
The price is reasonable compared to other CAD programs. I have used it more for personal than at work and did have to upgrade to a new desk top at home. Again, when you are the only user, it would be nice to be able to have it on more than one computer without paying for a 2nd full price license.
Since I am the only one using it and it was the only CAD software we had I guess it improved productivity 100%.
Read Steven Nielsen's full review
Bob Prater | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 07, 2020

Regular DraftSight User

We use DraftSight to review and create drawings for our manufacturing and quality department.
It is very user friendly and easy to use.
  • Very easy to use
  • Imports & exports the different drawing files that I need with no issues.
  • Yearly cost is affordable.
  • For what we use DraftSight for it fulfills all of our needs.
DraftSight is very well suited for use on the shop floor and in our engineering department for creating, editing, and translating data for employees as well as customers.
DraftSight's ease of use allows us to get more done in a day. The software we used before was very cumbersome and not very friendly. When we switched to DraftSight our productivity increased immediately.
Read Bob Prater's full review
Josh Blackmon | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 16, 2020

DraftSight Review

We use DraftSight to allow us to cut various raw materials in different patterns to meet customer needs. Each of our customers needs to have bullet resistant glass cut in order to fit different construction, military vehicle, and/or other types of products. Without DraftSight or some other type of CAD software, we wouldn't be able to fill these requirements.
  • Allows for different file types
  • Provides many different possibilities for angle intersections
  • Is user friendly and mostly intuitive
  • When not obviously intuitive, carrying out certain functions can be very difficult to find.
  • When a product is updated, some new changes are not pointed out to the user, which can make the user find it difficult to carry out actions that were easy before the update.
  • A better "Help" section would be great. Especially if it had a good search engine to find very specific actions or functions.
While we don't use all functions of DraftSight here at Global Security Glazing, the scenarios in which it is used are mostly easy to manipulate and utilize without having to go too far into the proverbial weeds to carry out. Specifically, cutting raw material glass into customer's required patterns is very well suited. This is the only thing we do with DraftSight at our organization.
I would have to say that this is not applicable to our organization. We have so many other determining factors which limit the speed at which we can deliver products to our customers. Data input speed is just not one of those factors that impact the speed at which we are able to produce our various products.
Read Josh Blackmon's full review
Liam Zenger-O'Brien | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 15, 2020

Cost effective 2D CAD

I’m a freelancer and I use it for about 10% of my work. Occasionally my clients require process diagrams for industrial systems or detailed drawings for screen printing or other similar manufacturing methods.
  • Screen printing CAD
  • 2D CAD
  • Laser printing CAD
  • P&IDs
  • Adjustable patterning; right now when you pattern something it can’t be changed
Very cost effective compared to AutoCAD and has many similar features so if you have less than 30% of workload in 2D CAD, this is a great software.
Increased productivity by using pdf tracing plug ins and P&ID symbol library plug ins.
Read Liam Zenger-O'Brien's full review
Chad Stamps | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 29, 2020

The insight on DraftSight

I use DraftSight for architectural drafting/design as well as for estimating and project management. We are a small company, so I am the only user of the software. I use DraftSight for a lot of things. I do take-offs for lineal and sq ft. for material but use it as a working platform for value engineering designs and working with designers/architects. I've used it for so many graphic uses, design layouts for signage, CNC milling of accent pieces even layout tile patterns to maximize cuts. It's also my go-to for any CAD drafting for plans.
  • Drafting
  • Project management
  • Material take-offs
  • Trouble getting things to print to scale
  • Issues importing graphics
  • Unable to be move objects by grabbing.
DraftSight is well suited for drafting and CAD work. Not so much for 3D design. It works very well for revising plans from other designers and is good to pass design ideas back and forth.
Not sure if it is faster but the program has been great for us to speed up the communication between the designers and myself.
Read Chad Stamps's full review
KEVIN GOFFARD | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 12, 2020

Cost-effective drafting solution

We use DraftSight to create flat pattern layouts to cut on our laser.
  • It's easy to use.
  • Interface is customizable.
  • Price is reasonable.
  • I would like to see it interact with inventor files better, but that is more of an inventor issue.
DraftSight is very easy to use, even for beginners.
Read KEVIN GOFFARD's full review
Dick Karsky | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 11, 2020

An economical alternative to AutoCAD

I use DraftSight to design equipment that is used by the company that I consult with. These are mechanical parts and assemblies. I like the DraftSight product but the company that sells the product just passes the buck and does not help the customer.
  • DraftSight is easy to use if you are familiar with AutoCAD but a lot less expensive.
  • If you are using DraftSight professional the hardware catalog and other drawings are easy to insert in the drawing you are working on.
  • Drawings are easy to create with dimensions in standard form.
  • An easier startup menu for setting up drawing defaults would be nice.
  • The product takes a long time to load with no indication that it is loading just a blank screen.
  • Product support is almost no existent. Took about 3 weeks to resolve a s/n issue.
Once the drawing is created it is easy to create an assembly drawing and a BOM. The reason for the "8" rating is Cleverbridge, not DraftSight. I would give the drawing product itself a "9+."
By allowing easier development of assembly drawings and bill of materials, a shorter time is required to produce production drawings.
Once the normal drawing functions are learned the rest of the functions are easy to complete.
Read Dick Karsky's full review
Jonathan Merrick | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 15, 2020

DraftSight: The Smart Choice

I use DraftSight daily when working with drawing files from clients. It also allows me to make detailed production drawings for the shop as well as CNC cut layouts. It's an indispensable tool that makes my work possible and allows me to get clear concise drawings and information into the shop quickly and efficiently. For anyone with CAD experience, it's very intuitive and you can just start using the program with almost no learning curve.
  • Easy transition from other CAD software
  • It has some functionality not included on other CAD software.
  • Cost is a factor in any business and DraftSight is priced well and you don't sacrifice for the price you pay.
  • It would be helpful to have settings more defined to make setting it up the way you like to work with it a little easier.
DraftSight was an easy transition from my other CAD software. If you have experience with CAD you just get your settings set up the way you like and start working. It's just easy. You don't waste time learning strange or awkward commands and functions.
Read Jonathan Merrick's full review
Ethan Beard | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 12, 2020

Quick and easy to use, makes 2D patterns a breeze.

We use DraftSight to draw patterns that our cutting table uses to shape glass. It helps us create, save, and import drawings into the program our table uses keeping us from having to hand cut anything our table doesn't have pre-installed.
  • Imports into our programs easily allowing us to cut glass pieces very quickly.
  • Very easy to use interface, works well with even amateur designers.
  • A small learning curve that makes teaching a breeze so our designers can begin making patterns very quickly.
  • The program takes a long time to start up every time it's closed.
  • The points that the program auto selects for snap zones are in unusual areas, I'd like to be able to have guide points at every intersection for patterns.
  • I need a way to be able to draw reference lines easier so I can check proper dimensions of patterns.
It's the best program I've used for what we do here. It works perfectly for what we do since we only make 2D patterns for the tables to cut. This program allows us to create them very quickly though. For what we do, there are way too many features we don't use.
This program allows us to cut out a lot of waiting on patterns since our Bilco software doesn't have all of the features this has. We usually have to freehand strange radius corners and odd dimensions, which would take a long time without this program.
Read Ethan Beard's full review
Sylvain Drolet | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 10, 2020

DraftSight is cheaper and as efficient as AutoCAD in 2D.

I have been using DraftSight for over 3 years now and I recommend it to all my customers as a replacement for AutoCAD since we only work in 2D.
There are some small bugs that occur (full memory) sometimes when I am more than 3 hours on the same drawing and I go from one sheet to another quickly.
Dynamic blocks are not supported by DraftSight and this is not pleasant when we import DWGs containing them.
  • That the selection of images placed in the background is not possible. It is difficult to make a selection of the objects drawn on top. This problem has been fixed in version 2020. Thank you.
Perfect for 2D drawing in its Standard or Professional version. When I have 3D drawing to do, I will compare DraftSight with Sketchup which I currently use for 3D and which is suitable for my personal needs.
Productivity is not necessarily increased. It is the expense that is decreased.
Read Sylvain Drolet's full review
Pascal Belperron | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2020

Good Software for 2D Modeling

We use DraftSight for the design of flat sheet metal parts to be cut using a CNC plasma system.
  • Works very well for simple shapes commonly found in many production and one-off parts.
  • Ease of use and intuitive software make it quick to create design files.
  • Copy and past functionality between different windows/files isn't well established.
  • Some "snap to" features can be too intrusive.
  • Not the program for creating complex 3D shapes, but that's not really its intended use.
For 2D flat parts that lack unusual shapes or curves that require tight tolerances, DraftSight works great. For oddly-shaped 2D parts, or where 3D modeling is highly beneficial, DraftSight is less useful.
Without the use of DraftSight we would be cutting parts by hand, which creates larger tolerances and in most cases is more time-consuming, especially for repeat production.
Read Pascal Belperron's full review
Francis Gardner | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 01, 2020

DraftSight: A solid, easy to use drawing system

DraftSight is our primary design software. It is used by engineering, job kitting, and production daily.
  • We make parts lists on our drawings for clear and easy job picking and assembly.
  • Able to print to PDF for sharing with our customers without DraftSight
  • Latest update has added functions which always seem to be in the way. Have not figured out how to turn them off
  • Now has several side functions which appear on opening and must be minimized.
  • Sometimes has odd errors when printing some files. I had unseen lines on a file that did not appear on the screen.
DraftSight does a good job of allowing us to design products and send them to the customers for approval. It is pretty easy to use for all our personnel without requiring the training of a 3D package.
Our biggest challenge has been that many of our older drawings were not to scale or were hand-drawn. The more we get drawn to scale and into electronic format, the easier it has been to increase the speed of designing new products.
Read Francis Gardner's full review
Brian Fritz, CAGSD | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 01, 2020

DraftSight Review

I use DraftSight to review construction plans, illustrate ideas to specifiers and contractors, design projects, and explain products and key components to customers. It allows me to provide quality illustrations and maintain the precision of details needed to perform work instructions in both technical and site-specific details.
  • Measurements of vehicle access points on job sites
  • Product detail illustrations and specifics
  • Allows me to design sites needed for the facilities security requirements
  • I would like an add-on, like PDF to .DWG, to be created by DraftSight/Dasault and not a 3rd party.
I am a Marketing and Sales guy by trade. I am self-taught in the use of CAD. It has greatly broadened my interactions with Architects and Engineers without the need to burden my Engineering department draftsmen. However, as time passes year-to-year, the need for more 3D drawings is increasing and DraftSight seems to be limited in what I will be able to offer.
Many concepts are sent to me to review by Engineers and Architects. The common turnaround time for the review is often a few days. I am able to not only review but add to their designs. I am able to insert my products, illustrate options, and return their work to them in ready-to-approve format and accelerate what they accomplish. In short, I become an easy button for them because of DraftSight.
Read Brian Fritz, CAGSD's full review
Adrian Eade | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 14, 2020

Swift and easy to use!

It's being used by a couple of designers for the electrical, fire alarm designs within our organization as part of our ongoing commitment to clients needs. It also assists our installation teams in designing around problems they encounter on sites, so that we can show progress and development for future installations.
  • Fast operating system.
  • Easy to use.
  • Good learning guide.
  • A few times it has crashed when modifying a text box and then returning back to the drawing at key stages which has caused loss of work.
  • The option back up could be done every minute to help save work when it crashes.
It doesn't need updating as much as say AutoCAD and a lot easier and more straightforward to use. We have AutoCAD on another PC and it won't open earlier versions of the drawings, where DraftSight will open and can save in most formats, our CAD technician is always asking us to convert drawings for him.
Yes we have found it a very handy piece of software that minimizes down time in design office as well as on site.
Read Adrian Eade's full review
Matt Tuttle | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 17, 2020

Easy to use

Draftsight allows me to make DXF changes on the fly without hindering production.
  • Interface
  • Great value for the money.
  • Exporting to PDF is very easy.
  • More options
  • Need more drawing commands.
  • It used to be free.
It's easy to use. I export flat patterns for formed parts on a daily basis. Sometimes changes are needed to be made, and this software allows me to perform that function with ease.
Easy to make changes.
Read Matt Tuttle's full review
MENAGE Florent | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 04, 2020

Very good software for very affordable price

I am freelance so I don't have any organization. I am using DraftSight on my own (individual user) for various civil engineering projects, mainly trackwork. The main production I do is cross-section to determine the overall thickness of the track for various areas of the project. I also use DraftSight to just visualize/control drawings.
  • It is missing all the parametric functions (perpendicular, coincident, tangent, etc...)
DraftSight is well suited for drawing but not for design as it can't read lisp.
No specific benefit in productivity.
Read MENAGE Florent's full review
Robert Hash | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 29, 2020

DraftSight Review

We view, make changes to, and create 2D drawings with DraftSight.
  • Cost-effective
  • Can use and save documents to a usable DWG format
  • New versions of DraftSight change (eliminate) features that I like to use.
  • Customer Service is non-existent so issues cannot be resolved.
  • Blogs are not a solution to customer service questions.
DraftSight is highly functional in what we use it for. We use it more as a drawing editor than a drawing creator.
Read Robert Hash's full review
Chiara Ricci | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 20, 2020

DraftSight Review

I haven't used it for very long, but right now I am using DraftSight to create small designs for kitchen and bathroom remodeling. Getting to learn how to design with it as a previous AutoCAD and SketchUp user is my biggest challenge, but I feel I can easily learn more, and I will continue practicing with it.
  • Rendering of materials
  • Velocity in creating models
  • Interior dimensions
I personally like DraftSight for small projects where I am only creating one room at a time. I am having difficulties recreating specific measurements when I only have those of the interiors of the house.
Being still in the process of learning the program, I don't think my company was able to achieve this benefit yet but I do see the potential.
Read Chiara Ricci's full review

About DraftSight

DraftSight is a feature-rich 2D and 3D CAD solution for architects, engineers and construction service providers, as well as professional CAD users, designers, educators and hobbyists. DraftSight lets users create, edit, view, and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency. According to the vendor, its familiar user interface facilitates a quick transition from other CAD applications.

DraftSight Offerings:
  • DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
  • DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
  • DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
  • DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.

DraftSight Features

DraftSight Pricing

DraftSight Standard$99per year
DraftSight Professional$199per year
DraftSight Premium (3D)$499per year

DraftSight Standard, Professional, and Premium are available to purchase online directly. DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus are available to purchase through your local reseller.

DraftSight Support Options