Score 7.4 out of 10

What is DraftSight?

Overpowered

December 09, 2022

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of DraftSight, and make your voice heard!

DraftSight Standard

$99

DraftSight Professional

$199

DraftSight Premium (3D)

$499

per year

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://www.draftsight.com/BuyProfession…

Product Demos

DraftSight: A Better 2D Drafting and 3D Design Experience
01:31

What is DraftSight?

DraftSight is a feature-rich 2D and 3D CAD solution for architects, engineers and construction service providers, as well as professional CAD users, designers, educators and hobbyists. DraftSight lets users create, edit, view, and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency. According to the vendor, its familiar user interface facilitates a quick transition from other CAD applications.

DraftSight Offerings:
  • DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
  • DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
  • DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
  • DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.

DraftSight Features

• Supported: Image Tracer
  • Supported: HomeByMe Integration
  • Supported: Power Trim

DraftSight Screenshots

Screenshot of Plate InsertScreenshot of Image TraceScreenshot of 2D and 3D DWG filesScreenshot of HomeByMe Integration

DraftSight Video

DraftSight Competitors

DraftSight Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, Turkish, Russian

DraftSight Downloadables

SketchUp and TurboCAD are common alternatives for DraftSight.

Reviewers rate Availability highest, with a score of 8.7.

The most common users of DraftSight are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

December 09, 2022

Overpowered

I have used AutoCAD for over 5 years. My company uses Draftsight as an alternative of AutoCAD sometimes. It is way less expensive with similar functions. That's why our company uses Draftsight instead of getting a more updated version of AutoCAD, though we have a 2007 AutoCAD. I usually convert the newer version of .dwg files to an older version through Draftsight, or sometimes edit the our production drawing in Draftsight if the changes are not too complicated.
  • Cheaper than AutoCAD
  • Easy-to-use interface
  • Similar function like AutoCAD
  • Nil
It is good that Draftsight is similar to AutoCAD, easy to pick up when start using Draftsight as an user of AutoCAD but sometimes Draftsight cannot read the font style of the text box from AutoCAD which leads to showing "?????". I have to input the words manually.
Sylvain Drolet | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using DraftSight for over 3 years now and I recommend it to all my customers as a replacement for AutoCAD since we only work in 2D. There are some small bugs that occur (full memory) sometimes when I am more than 3 hours on the same drawing and I go from one sheet to another quickly. Dynamic blocks are not supported by DraftSight and this is not pleasant when we import DWGs containing them.
  • That the selection of images placed in the background is not possible. It is difficult to make a selection of the objects drawn on top. This problem has been fixed in version 2020. Thank you.
Perfect for 2D drawing in its Standard or Professional version. When I have 3D drawing to do, I will compare DraftSight with Sketchup which I currently use for 3D and which is suitable for my personal needs.
Scott Gold | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use the 2D version of DraftSight to open and work with building drawings in DWG format. It is very helpful in working with drawings sent to me by others. Our company consists of only two people and I am the only one currently using DaftSight, so you could say 50% of our company uses the product.
  • Handles DWG files very well.
  • It is a robust program and handles large files better than some other similar programs I've used.
  • It is more responsive than other similar programs I've used.
  • I like the two-key and multilple-key command structure. It is intuitive.
  • It has some great tools for drawing bolts and other types of fasteners.
  • Recognizes and uses 3D Connexion controller.
  • Interface could be optimized to provide more screen space for drawings.
  • Zooming in and out using the mouse wheel could be improved.
  • Inserting viewports and setting them up could be made easier and more intuitive
It is very useful for opening and working with DWG files created by others. It does a better job handling such files than some other programs I've used. Creating tabbed views with viewports takes some effort. This is as much a learning curve issue as it is a weakness in the program.
Paul Karnopp, PE | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it for Industrial automation design. We use it for complex wiring diagrams and industrial control panel layout.
  • Reads and writes Autocad files without a problem.
  • Flexible user interface with lots of options.
  • Good tools for 2D design.
  • The text search and replace is very crude and barely works. Needs a major revamping.
  • The layout tabs are very clunky and hard to use. Needs to be fixed.
  • DraftSight will fix a problem in one version, mess it up in another version, then fix it again later on. And so forth, and so forth, and so forth. Very poor software update control.
We put it through its paces with our drawings and it works fine. We do a lot of wiring diagrams and industrial control panel layout drawings, so we use a lot of its 2D capabilities. I would not use it in a multi-user environment where you have multiple designers working on one project at a time. This software makes no provisions for allowing multiple users to work at the same time on the same drawing and has no native version control. And because of their poor software control, DraftSight many times put out versions that are "crashy", which would make a lot of people very unproductive very quickly. I would look at other products for larger projects like that.
October 07, 2022

Draftsight is amazing!

We use DraftSight for preparing 2D CAD drawings for our customers that are provided by our vendors.
  • Simple to use
  • Can open any DWG format
  • I was a user of AutoCAD and it was very easy for me to integrate.
  • Shortcut keys are not all the same with AutoCAD so I have to re-learn and find them.
It is very well suited for drafting in 2D design and dimensioning.
  • No Training
We have not come to any issue that we require technical support
September 27, 2022

Cheap software

I use DraftSight as a 2D drawing tool. It was purchased to replace the more expensive AutoCAD LT.
  • Imports legacy CAD data
  • In my opinion, customer support is too time-consuming. When you do get an answer half the time it is related to your question which is pretty good, but who has 16 hours to wait for that?
  • Interface could be far more stable
  • Snap settings turn themselves off
  • Dimension in "paper space" may or may not provide accurate dimensions
  • Same line weight issues as AutoCAD. by block, by layer, has little effect. Printing line weights can be a guessing game.
  • Block access is fixed to one location, instead of last used location.
  • Extreme care is required when mouse picking. Make sure you are not picking in air, instead of the end of a line that is a millimeter away. Even with snap on.
I tried to like it, but the puzzling quirks have just wasted too much of my time. Going back to the more expensive and reliable AutoCAD LT.
Uday Singh | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight extensively in designing the entire emission control system for customer manufacturing processes. The design includes a General Arrangement (GA) plan and elevation layouts, details of components, sectional views of process equipment, and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID). I export the detailed design drawings, typically as .dwg files, to customers and construction contractors for installation of equipment. It would be a challenge to work with both customer engineers and their construction crews without DraftSight, which greatly facilitates my work.
  • It allows me to quickly fit equipment into tight spaces because it is very flexible.
  • It is easy to learn and use, and its numerous features give me many options in the design phase.
  • It provides me with a single tool to design everything from layouts to instrumentation drawings.
  • It enables independent small users like me to wield the design capability of a large enterprise.
  • It would be more efficient to have direct access to Help Support, although the Help feature and Forum can often answer questions.
  • For instrumentation, an embedded symbol library would be valuable. I currently have to create my own library.
  • For layouts, an embedded equipment symbol library (for example, pumps, motors) would be helpful.
The program is well suited to quickly creating detailed design drawings to scale. Because of its functionality, a smaller entity or individual designer can start with a clean slate and develop numerous arrangement and associated design drawings, export them to colleagues, receive revision requests, and implement revisions for additional review. It is less well suited, however, to provide accessible symbols and block components which can be scaled.
  • No Training
Being a startup, we are always very short on time. Because we have to rely on delayed information from the user community, we experience a slowdown when we need help.
July 08, 2022

No Regrets

We use DraftSight in conjunction with our Cad Cam Program for work on a CNC machining center, design and creation of new products, and it is used by our sales personnel for verification of dimensions of different products in order to get the proper items to the customer. Great program, I like it better than the competition. Been working with CAD programs since Auto CAD came out with Version 12 for DOS and I find DraftSight more user-friendly with more features.
  • Universal compatibility with other programs
  • Ability to insert parts from individual manufactures
  • The tool box feature is a definite plus
  • It has minor problems when saving drawings - Crashes if you initiate certain commands while program is saving a drawing
All 2D drawings in both DWF and DXF formats. Works well with BobCad and Solid Works.
  • No Training
All support is via other customer on the web
I am the sole user in our company. I am using DraftSight for design-build drawing where I show the locations of lighting and electrical components for projects. I also use it to design underground conduit and electrical panel locations for projects.
  • Very similar to AutoCAD
  • Professional is a very powerful program
  • Power trim is great for cleaning up drawings
  • There should be technical support for all users. It is very frustrating to have failures occur over and over with no help.
  • Training videos could be more detailed.
  • Image Tracer is a nice addition, but I have not been able to figure it out.
It is well suited for any 2D drawing.
Used to create P&ID and schematics for Control Systems. Also used to plan control systems upgrades and piping details.
Drawings are accessible by other trade groups to aid in location of equipment.
Drawings are also used for contractors to bid on projects.
Saves time and money in designing control systems.
  • Layer Management
  • Contextual application (Right mouse click)
  • Print layout
  • Home by Me window always pops-up on startup! Annoying in my opinion
  • Why open a No-Name_0 window? I am almost always going to open a file!
  • Slow to open
Part and or schematic libraries are non-existent!
I had to create all my own P&ID symbols, and then scale them to the appropriate size.
Not the easiest to create electrical schematics. It works okay, but lacking features specific to schematics.
Well suited for piping drawings and general mechanical layout.

We use DraftSight for structural steel fabrication and erection drawings, custom fabrication shop drawings, and also use the DXF features for our plasma table. We currently have three draftsman using DraftSight Professional with LISP support. The cost of DraftSight compared to AutoCAD is a major reason for using it. With so much capability similar to AutoCAD, it's just the right choice for our growing company at the moment.
  • Integrates AutoCAD drawings into DraftSight seamlessly.
  • Capable of using LISP routines that I have used for years.
  • Opens DWG files from files sent to us that we would not normally be able to open.
  • 3D capability is lacking.
  • Stability can be an issue sometimes
  • Newest version doesnt run LISP as well as previous versions did
Most of what we do is 2D. DraftSight is an excellent 2D software to replace the over-priced AutoCAD. 3D, however, is a lacking a bit and cumbersome but not used very often in our organization. I am yet to experience any BIM coordination and am curious of how well DraftSight will handle that.
Support takes quite some time and hasnt been able to solve the issues. Between the issue of copying objects and the copied object is changed to the current layer and the issue of my most used LISP file crashing Draftsight every time I use it, it has been frustrating. If support could figure these issues out, I would change that ratinging to an 8 or 9.
June 02, 2022

It works good!

Arthur C Gagnon | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm the only user of DrafSight or any other design software in my company. It is used to edit old mechanical desktop files or customers' AutoCAD files.
  • Edit Mechanical Desktop or AutoCAD files.
  • Great at editing drawings.
  • Works just like AutoCAD, so there's a learning curve.
  • It would be nice if DraftSight had the 3D functionality of Mechanical Desktop.
It's well suited for users who need AutoCAD, but don't want to pay AutoCAD's exorbitant prices. It is no longer well suited for small maker spaces with limited budgets due to there being no free option. Also, DraftSight should also be part of any SOLIDWORKS package in order to make maintaining the subscription easier.
  • No Training
Poor support from my last experience a couple of years ago. Luckily, the software started working properly again after installing a newer version.
May 31, 2022

DraftSight Review

Robert Hash | TrustRadius Reviewer
We view, make changes to, and create 2D drawings with DraftSight.
  • Cost-effective
  • Can use and save documents to a usable DWG format
  • New versions of DraftSight change (eliminate) features that I like to use.
  • Customer Service is non-existent so issues cannot be resolved.
  • Blogs are not a solution to customer service questions.
DraftSight is highly functional in what we use it for. We use it more as a drawing editor than a drawing creator.
Terrible. We have 2 users that cannot get support for getting draftsight to work on their computers. We will not renew if we are paying for something that does not run on our computers.
As a direct replacement for AutoCAD.
  • Everything that AutoCAD does.
  • Very intuative
  • No cross training required for AutoCAD users.
No scenarios just a very good product. Does what AutoCAD does with ease. Cheaper than AutoCAD & therefore supports business cost savings.
  • No Training
No response to queries raised.
Upgrade to 2022 for personal license. No impacts.
May 20, 2022

Great Product

We are using it in our sales department for the sales team to open, view and dimensions CAD files to quote. CAD Department using them for same purpose and to modify and create drawings for CNC software.
  • Opens newer .dwg and .dxf files.
  • Easy to use menus.
  • Similar to AutoCAD style for easy transition.
  • Features.
Well suited for companies that need basic and some advanced 2D drawing capabilities and want to save a lot of money.
Daryl Garner-Savory | TrustRadius Reviewer
I personally use DraftSight to do general drawings to laser cut components in the elevator industry and as part of a knife making and machine building hobby. DraftSight being the user-friendly package it is makes the process of design simple, in addition to creating your own blocks, it makes the design process simpler, faster, and far more flexible.
  • User friendly
  • Clear user interface (GUI)
  • 3D in the basic form
DraftSight is extremely easy to use to modify drawings for laser cutting, engraving, and proofing designs and ideas. Price is a deciding factor for an individual or business, and with all that is available, easy of use is key. I have found many free or cheap CAD packages out there but none is as close to the AutoCAD benchmark as DraftSight. The price point is great--it was better free but what I’m paying is reasonable--however I do find the lack of basic 3D/isometric drawing and rendering a bit of a pain. Now I need to do isometric drawings manually, but this is not the end of the world for me, as I don’t do too much of this in my work environment these days.
April 28, 2022

Easy to Share

James Bryan Palmer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses DraftSight to layout systems for our customers. This allows our customers to see a professional representation of how their system will look and determine if there are any issues to overcome in the installation of their system. Once the design has been finished and accepted by our customer, we are able to use the DraftSight drawing to determine the Bill-of-Materials required for the project and provide the customer with a final and accurate quote for materials and installation.
  • Increases Productivity
  • Easy modification and change of design
  • Task bar emblems could be larger
  • Better printing control for older plotters
Better than Auto-Cad because it costs so much less.
We use CAD software to develop drawings for manufacturing. Mostly electrical panels, network diagrams, plant layout, P&ID (Process and Instrumentation Diagram), and many other documents for engineering.
  • Crashes
  • Doesn't work
  • N/A
  • Technical support
  • Diagnostic
  • Customer support
The software doesn't work. They release a version that was broken and I used the free trial of that version. I ran it on an i7, 16GB RAM, and RTX30 series (powerful computer) but the application was crashing constantly. I lost unsaved work and wasted hours restarting the application, which did cost me a few hundred dollars on billable hours. I sent errors logs, which helped them to identify the issue that they claimed is now resolved in DraftSight 2022 SP1. Technical support seems to be overseas with broken English and difficulty reading English. After 14 days, they said there is a hotfix "DraftSight memory saturation hotfix" that could solve the problem. I asked for a trial license to try the fix but it was declined. Ask pratiksha.dahotre and gayatri.keskar for details. In summary, they released a broken version, which I helped to fix by providing feedback and error logs. They claimed it is fixed but I can't test it.
Technical support seems to be overseas with broken English and difficulty to read English.
In summary, they released a broken version, I helped to fix by providing feedback and error logs. They claimed it is fixed but I can't test it.
I use DraftSight for architectural projects. I really like this product and use it every day at work. I never had problems. I have been using it for years, since it was free, and I continue to use it even now that it is paid. I recommend it to everybody.
  • Architectural projects
  • Compatibility with other CADs
  • Friendly interface
  • easiest PDF export in scale and formats
  • I don't like the home panel on the left that pops up every time I start the software
I use it in architectural design--both for the design phase and for the compilation of all official documents that I have to send to the public administration to obtain building permits. Its very simple interface allows me to work quickly without wasting time. Its compatibility with other CADs allows me to interface with other users who use other programs.
I rate it very well because above all I have needed it very few times in many years of using the product. My thinking is that the best technical support service possible is the one you don't need to call it because the product doesn't cause any problems. However, the few times I called them they always solved the problem.
Glen Morgan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight to make furniture details of new designs. I send these to manufacturers that I work for and they are produced in factories in the US, China and Vietnam. It is great for quick and accurate information on how to build new furniture samples and info can be exchanged back and forth.
  • Works with other .dwg files - AutoCAD
  • Shortcuts - I seldom even touch the keyboard for anything besides numbers
  • Simple to learn
  • Mouse gestures
  • CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!!!!!!
  • Video learning for EVERYTHING .
  • When I search for a command, more generic terms - i.e. - you call it hatch, but I may be asking for cross-hatching or hatching and nothing shows up.
I use DraftSight with no classes or training, and it is much more than capable of doing furniture drafting, which is wood mostly with no mechanical fasteners, reasonably uncomplicated. Anything like that, it is very easy to learn and use. I am sure it can do much more
Knowledgeable support team, but overnight communication across the world is unacceptable when DS is not working.
December 01, 2021

Shipbuilders

I mostly am reviewing drawings done by other engineers who use AutoCAD. I will make minor revisions and redline drawings for further work before issuing them to the client.
  • Easy to install.
  • Printing and making pdf views.
  • Opens many formats of drawings and easy to scan around on the drawing.
  • We need to use AutoCAD for other programs integration. For example ShipConstructor requires the use of AutoCAD.
  • We like to be able to do some simple structural analysis with add-on programs and we are not aware of any that work with DraftSight.
Really good for reviewing and marking up drawings. Because we can't run add ons like Ship Constructor or Finite Elements, we need to use AutoCAD for those situations.
Paul Reilly, PE | TrustRadius Reviewer
DraftSight was installed as our primary CADD interface on four workstations to conduct 2D line-work for detailing and presentation of structural engineering plans.
  • reads/writes DWG files
  • provides an economical alternative to other CADD applications for plan processing
  • closely mimics the command interface of a prominent DWG CADD application
  • Tutorials are provided for use of the application [and] are introductory in scope.
  • Open-source access to tool modification for user profiles does not consistently save user preferences.
  • During a 3-year period of application assessment, we were unable to secure direct customer service for the application (i.e. "how do I...").
Well suited for basic navigation and viewing of DWG files. Due to the absence of direct user access for support of the application, DraftSight was not retained as our primary CADD platform.
We use Draftsight to convert SOLIDWORKS Dxf drawings into valid .dwg files for our plasma table cutter crew to utilize to burn steel shapes. The plasma machine takes the .dwg files from Draftsight with no troubles and works very well. I do not use Draftsight to draft complicated parts or assemblies. I use SOLIDWORKS for all of our modeling and drafting, we only use draftsight for external applications.
  • Writing useful .dwg files
  • Lightweight footprint, easy to configure
  • The lower cost versus AutoCAD
  • Customization could be easier
  • Implementation over enterprise applications could be better
  • Customer service has been spotty
Draftsight is perfect for converting Solidworks outputted .dxf files into the industry-standard .dwg format. We're able to use Solidworks and Draftsight together to produce drawings that 99.9% of the world can use. Draftsight could be better at automating some tasks, that'd be swell. Other than that, we're happy with how Draftsight incorporates into our drafting environment.
November 19, 2021

The Best 2D CAD Software

We use DraftSight every day, with all my colleagues in the department. I think DraftSight is the best 2D CAD software, very simple to use but with a lot of tools and features. I use it since 2011 when I started my first job, and I had no problem with this software.
  • Simple to use.
  • A lot of features.
  • Very fast.
  • Is just a 2D CAD not 3D.
Perfect for technical draw.
November 16, 2021

Contentified

We use Draftsight to produce plan view layout drawings for equipment sales. We use SOLIDWORKS for the design and engineering of the equipment we build. We have 4 users in our sales department that use Draftsight and 2 users in engineering that use SOLIDWORKS. We all work simultaneously therefore sharing a license isn't possible. The problem the product addresses is the cost for a small business. We have multiple people who use it part-time to produce layouts using basic functions. We need a low-cost solution.
  • Low cost.
  • Get rid of pop-up tools.
  • Program stalls/buffers on large drawings at times requiring reboots.
Draftsight is well suited if you can afford lost time due to buffering/calculating/stalling. The cost may out weight the lost productivity but not the frustration. If initial cost is your biggest concern and CAD is only a part-time function then Draftsight is great. If CAD is your full-time function then Draftsight is less appropriate.