Easy to Share

You get what you paid for

Beginner CAD user

$199

DraftSight Premium (3D)

$499

per year

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://www.draftsight.com/BuyProfession…

What is DraftSight?

DraftSight is a feature-rich 2D and 3D CAD solution for architects, engineers and construction service providers, as well as professional CAD users, designers, educators and hobbyists. DraftSight lets users create, edit, view, and markup any kind of 2D and 3D DWG file with greater ease, speed, and efficiency. According to the vendor, its familiar user interface facilitates a quick transition from other CAD applications.

DraftSight Offerings:
  • DraftSight Standard: the essential 2D CAD drafting solution with a familiar user interface and fundamental 2D drawing tools. Ideal for individuals, students, educators and hobbyists.
  • DraftSight Professional: the advanced 2D CAD drafting solution with powerful, time-saving functionalities and an API to help bring designs to life quickly and easily. Ideal for companies, individuals and designers.
  • DraftSight Premium (3D): the robust 2D drafting and 3D design experience with full 3D capabilities and constraints features to help meet your drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting and 3D printing needs. Created for individuals, designers, companies, manufacturers and makers.
  • DraftSight Enterprise and Enterprise Plus: the comprehensive 2D drafting and 3D design solution created to meet various drafting, modeling, prototyping, manufacturing, laser cutting, and 3D printing requirements. Designed for large organizations with many users or multiple sites.

DraftSight Features

DraftSight Competitors

DraftSight Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian, Turkish, Russian

Alternatives

What is DraftSight's best feature?

Reviewers rate DraftSight Learning highest, with a score of 7.7.

Who uses DraftSight?

The most common users of DraftSight are from Small Businesses and the Mechanical Or Industrial Engineering industry.

December 22, 2021

Easy to Share

James Bryan Palmer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses DraftSight to layout systems for our customers. This allows our customers to see a professional representation of how their system will look and determine if there are any issues to overcome in the installation of their system. Once the design has been finished and accepted by our customer, we are able to use the DraftSight drawing to determine the Bill-of-Materials required for the project and provide the customer with a final and accurate quote for materials and installation.
  • Increases Productivity
  • Easy modification and change of design
  • Task bar emblems could be larger
  • Better printing control for older plotters
Better than Auto-Cad because it costs so much less.
[DraftSight is] used by our engineering department to create 2D line drawings, for example presentation drawings for the customers, parts drawings for purchasing department and shop floor, assembly drawings for the welder/ fitters, etc. The software was used not only on conceptual designs but also detailed designs, to assist finding components interference
  • Making sketches
  • Calculating material usage
  • Nesting
  • Annotation style not easy to change
  • Extending command fails from time to time
  • Unresolved bugs affect performance
[DraftSight is] suitable for users occasionally reviewing or modifying 2D line drawings, this is a relatively inexpensive alternative than AutoCAD and is capable of accomplish similar tasks. Not suitable of handling large and complex 2D drawings, the response time, accuracy, UI and other aspects still at a basic level and can not compete with other high quality software
We use Draftsight across the business for designing profiles' cutters and tooling as well as creating drawings of these for marketing. Draftsight allows us to save drawings as PDFs for our customers to approve, we can then use the drawings to program cutting paths on our grinding machines that make the cutters.
  • Flexible hash and fill options for creating metal and wood effects
  • Ease of use allows for drawings to be creating quickly
  • Range of export options to more commonly used formats for drawings to be reviewed
  • Draftsight could run better on lower performace machines, even on high performance machines there can be some lag now and again.
  • There used to be a more basic subscription version which was perfect for our needs, now lowest subscription is more expensive. Bringing back the standard version would be great.
  • Including hash pattern files would be very useful.
Draftsight is well suited for 2D drawings, not 3D. As already mentioned can require quite a lot of computer resources, so may not work as well on older machines. In an environment when you want to produce relatively simple 2D drawings quickly it is really effective, more complex drawings can be done with more time.
Glen Morgan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight to make furniture details of new designs. I send these to manufacturers that I work for and they are produced in factories in the US, China and Vietnam. It is great for quick and accurate information on how to build new furniture samples and info can be exchanged back and forth.
  • Works with other .dwg files - AutoCAD
  • Shortcuts - I seldom even touch the keyboard for anything besides numbers
  • Simple to learn
  • Mouse gestures
  • CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!!!!!!
  • Video learning for EVERYTHING .
  • When I search for a command, more generic terms - i.e. - you call it hatch, but I may be asking for cross-hatching or hatching and nothing shows up.
I use DraftSight with no classes or training, and it is much more than capable of doing furniture drafting, which is wood mostly with no mechanical fasteners, reasonably uncomplicated. Anything like that, it is very easy to learn and use. I am sure it can do much more
Knowledgeable support team, but overnight communication across the world is unacceptable when DS is not working.
Sylvain Drolet | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using DraftSight for over 3 years now and I recommend it to all my customers as a replacement for AutoCAD since we only work in 2D. There are some small bugs that occur (full memory) sometimes when I am more than 3 hours on the same drawing and I go from one sheet to another quickly. Dynamic blocks are not supported by DraftSight and this is not pleasant when we import DWGs containing them.
  • That the selection of images placed in the background is not possible. It is difficult to make a selection of the objects drawn on top. This problem has been fixed in version 2020. Thank you.
Perfect for 2D drawing in its Standard or Professional version. When I have 3D drawing to do, I will compare DraftSight with Sketchup which I currently use for 3D and which is suitable for my personal needs.
Draftsight is the go-to software we use when editing our .dwg and .dwt files. It allows easy transferability between these files and our survey software through which the bulk of our onsite work takes place, but its real advantage over other more expensive CAD programs is its intuitive interface, which makes training new users easy. Add to that its customizable desktop and simple to use functions and regular users of AutoCAD feel very comfortable migrating over to it.
  • Importing and exporting different CAD formats
  • Intuitive interface.
  • Customizable workspace.
  • Simple to us functions.
  • Uncluttered workspace.
  • Some of the printing features are a bit clunky. Reviewing print results can be onerous.
Quick alterations to existing DWGs are a snap with Draftsight. Our company doesn't use this software for drawing buildings from scratch but instead, we use a specialty survey-based software to export to DWT. The translation is buggy so using Draftsight to edit the file is essential to providing the exact product our clients want.
Having previous experience with AutoCAD I would also give this program a thumbs up recommending it to someone new to CAD and wanting a solid alternative to more expensive programs. Draftsight is less suited to someone wanting to create 3D models. I would suggest they look at other Solidworks packages for that.
DraftSight allows us to equip multiple individuals in our organization with easy CAD software for many different applications. Whether it be in engineering, management, quality control, or even purchasing, this tool empowers our organization to get their work done and move towards a common goal, success. Thanks for such a quality product coupled with world-class support and training.
  • Modifying existing drawings
  • Determining measurements for shop workers
  • Printing blueprints for the shop or field fabricators
  • Occasionally has crash issues
Draftsight is great for our office users, or QC department who need to access drawings, and pull measurements, but don't need a full-blown expensive CAD subscription, however, we have used it to turn out drawings, and it has performed excellently in this regard.
Andrew Kuret | TrustRadius Reviewer
[DraftSight] is used by me as an individual to engineer and design for our product.
  • Affordable
  • Robust
  • Some commands from AutoCAD don't work
  • Can't draw a line at a specific angle
  • Randomly crashes
It is well suited for individuals who use autocad but don't have the budget for it. It is great for design work and creating 2d files to send for laser cutting and creating drawings.
It is less suited for complex designs and creating 3d parts.
Massimiliano Mazzini | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used by an individual. DraftSight is useful for mechanical plant design. It is very user friendly and easy to use. I use it at work for different projects mainly to verify dimensions, and I use it personally at home doing shop drawings and as-built drawings and some construction drawings. I have used the standard 2D and found that I was able to use 3D since it is similar to the 2D drafting and you can jump back and forth easily. I use DraftSight for a lot of things. I do take-offs and square footage for materials, but also use it as a working platform for engineering designs and working with designers/architects.
  • DraftSight is a simple to use CAD that allows you to make the most of the entire design phase of the drawings.
  • Intuitive
  • Speed up productivity
  • Yearly cost is affordable.
  • Better management of tables
  • Better management of quotas
  • Better print styles management
DraftSight is definitely good for making 2D drawings in the field of engineering. It is very useful to represent the schemes of heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation systems, fire-fighting systems, etc. It is also excellent in the field of architecture for making plans and elevations or to draw the construction of mechanical or electrical parts. I don't think it is useful for BIM or 3D modeling or for creating multimedia systems, videos, etc.
I am a previous user of AutoCAD. It was very easy to use and the commands are the same as what I have used for the past 20 years. We use SOLIDWORKS software for truck body design and engineering drawings. When I am doing Research and Development projects, it is much easier to use DraftSight. I use DraftSight for simple and complex designs. This software works well to import to SOLIDWORKS. I use DraftSight to convert SOLIDWORKS Layflat .dxf files to polyline format and send the files to manufacturers that laser cut sheet metal parts.
  • Convert SOLIDWORKS .dwg export to Polyline and save as .dxf
  • Commands are the same as older versions of AutoCAD
  • Stretch and Rotate when working on Research and Development projects. Way easier for me than R&D using SOLIDWORKS.
  • Modifying dimension text position is difficult or unavailable.
  • Dimension styles are difficult to set up.
  • Not sure where the purge command is like Auto Cad to get rid of line types not used, etc.
If you need a program to view files from a customer or something that is simple to use, this is it!
August 17, 2021

Beginner CAD user

Very basic drawings for equipment layout, importing drawings and using DraftSight to see dimensions, creating drawings to send to vendors for quotes for machining parts.
  • basic functions are fairly intuitive to learn
  • help files are useful for a beginner like me
  • YouTube videos are also helpful
  • instant videos in the help files would be good for beginners
  • how about providing some basic electrical symbols in standard version
In my case I was trying to use Windows Paint and other drawing programs until I needed some more details and specs. I started using the free version. If the free version was set up more like a "trainer for beginners" I think you would get more first time CAD users to stick with it as opposed to someone monkeying around with the software for 10 minutes and getting intimidated never to return to the CAD world.
December 01, 2021

Shipbuilders

I mostly am reviewing drawings done by other engineers who use AutoCAD. I will make minor revisions and redline drawings for further work before issuing them to the client.
  • Easy to install.
  • Printing and making pdf views.
  • Opens many formats of drawings and easy to scan around on the drawing.
  • We need to use AutoCAD for other programs integration. For example ShipConstructor requires the use of AutoCAD.
  • We like to be able to do some simple structural analysis with add-on programs and we are not aware of any that work with DraftSight.
Really good for reviewing and marking up drawings. Because we can't run add ons like Ship Constructor or Finite Elements, we need to use AutoCAD for those situations.
Paul Reilly, PE | TrustRadius Reviewer
DraftSight was installed as our primary CADD interface on four workstations to conduct 2D line-work for detailing and presentation of structural engineering plans.
  • reads/writes DWG files
  • provides an economical alternative to other CADD applications for plan processing
  • closely mimics the command interface of a prominent DWG CADD application
  • Tutorials are provided for use of the application [and] are introductory in scope.
  • Open-source access to tool modification for user profiles does not consistently save user preferences.
  • During a 3-year period of application assessment, we were unable to secure direct customer service for the application (i.e. "how do I...").
Well suited for basic navigation and viewing of DWG files. Due to the absence of direct user access for support of the application, DraftSight was not retained as our primary CADD platform.
August 05, 2021

Basic DraftSight use

Jim Moffitt | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use DraftSight in sales and engineering to open sales layouts, small drafting and sketching as well as create layouts and scaled drawings. We also use to create dxf drawings for the shop and routings to create the parts.
  • Plant layouts
  • Shortcut keys
  • Balloon tags could be easier to pick and place
  • Renaming blocks of difficult as you need to find the original in the long list before you can rename
  • Customizing meanies is cumbersome
DraftSight is great for layout. Drawings for plants as a general overview. You can put tons of info and have it separated on layers preset. You can also work out angles, arcs swings and other complex swings for cylinder rotations and gear and cams.
We use Draftsight to create dxf files for use in programming machine codes in the factory. Also used for creating geometry and wire paths for our wire edm machine.
  • 2D geometry works very well.
  • For what we use Draftsight for, it works very well. Don't know how to improve.
Best I've found for dxf creation.
Bill Brab | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use as individuals across the company for 2D drafting, specifically plan view maps for facilities. The software is an economical solution for having an enterprise-level drafting solution without the hefty price tag other name-brand providers charge for a base package with add-ons we don't use.
  • Works with industry-standard file formats
  • User interface familiar to those using other brands
  • Common tools and formats
  • Better overlap of tools name/function/etc. with leader software
  • Linux support cancelled end of 2019; need to rejuvenate.
Inexpensive, flexible, easy to use.
It is currently used only by myself for 2D layout work.
  • Working with DWG files.
  • Working with PDF files.
  • Great for 2D layouts.
  • It would be helpful to be able to "select last" when having to select the same entities for functions like move and copy.
It is well suited for working with drawings created in AutoCAD.
November 15, 2021

Sebastian Kornely | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight for any construction of special motorsport equipment like sensor brackets, or complete constructions like high-performance setup equipment, for example, setup wheels, setup tables, and many other products. Besides that, I am using DraftSight for planning special cases, frames, and holders for all motorsport equipment.
  • Handling
  • Performance
  • Price
  • 3D
  • Support
  • Tutorials
[One problem with DraftSight is that] it is not easy to get a direct contact person for specific information.
November 12, 2021

IT Review of DraftSight

Thomas Rondo | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use this for on the fly modification of drawings and creating parts for our machinists to use in their machines. This is a great asset for design and manufacturing that allows our people to get their work done fast and efficiently. The setup of the menu bar is easy to use and the ability to save and share parts are great.
  • 2D drawings
  • 3D drawings
  • easier list of quick menu items.
I can only say that this is well suited for our machining industry. It is easy to install and update. It allows us to control how many licenses we have with their easy management tool. The end users like this program a lot compared to other programs we have tried.
Kabir Singh | TrustRadius Reviewer
In Architectural Design & Drafting
  • CAD Drawing work
  • Excellent User Interface
  • User Friendly
  • Standard License needs to be truly floating between machines used by same user
  • no major issues otherwise
  • signing out from one machine to sign into another , say between a laptop and pc, is inconvenient. The license should float, whichever machine is in use, license can be active for that machine.
Just wish the Standard License is made floating, automatically, without having to sign off from one machine (say laptop) to another (say a PC)
We use Draftsight to prepare our working drawings and as fit drawings in construction, mainly used by myself and 1 other, it is easy to use and has proved very reliable, competitive pricing makes it a no brainer, we have had no issues with opening drawings provided by other organisations for preparing design, construction and finally as fit records. I highly recommend this product.
  • Opening and reviewing
  • Dimensioning
  • Editing
  • I have not experiences any issues
Draftsight has met all our needs
October 18, 2021

Draftsight does the job.

Kevin Burke | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use draftsight for home projects like building a deck, finishing a basement, or just building a small project. It is affordable and does the job perfect for me!
  • 2D designs
  • templates
  • making customer commands
  • 3D design
  • pre-defined template sheets would be nice
  • Make a linux version
I have recommended Draftsight to many people looking to get into drafting or projects.
Dick Karsky | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use DraftSight to design equipment that is used by the company that I consult with. These are mechanical parts and assemblies. I like the DraftSight product but the company that sells the product just passes the buck and does not help the customer.
  • DraftSight is easy to use if you are familiar with AutoCAD but a lot less expensive.
  • If you are using DraftSight professional the hardware catalog and other drawings are easy to insert in the drawing you are working on.
  • Drawings are easy to create with dimensions in standard form.
  • An easier startup menu for setting up drawing defaults would be nice.
  • The product takes a long time to load with no indication that it is loading just a blank screen.
  • Product support is almost no existent. Took about 3 weeks to resolve a s/n issue.
Once the drawing is created it is easy to create an assembly drawing and a BOM. The reason for the "8" rating is Cleverbridge, not DraftSight. I would give the drawing product itself a "9+."
Slow response from Draftsight,
September 23, 2021

Great value for the cost

Draftsight is being used along with SOLIDWORKS for importing and updating existing corporate documents and creating new 2D drawings.
  • 2D drawings - far and away the best value
  • I have no criticism of DraftSight
Works well for 2D drawings. Also works well as a tool for creating 2D facet drawings for import into 3D CAD. SOLIDWORKS is great for creating drawings from 3D source files. However, when 3D source files are unavailable, DraftSight makes a very convenient tool for creating 2D documentation.
Tim Pilcher | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use DraftSight for site maps, construction drawings, remediation system drawings, process and instrumentation drawings, and component custom remediation system component drawings. It is used by me and our junior staff for drawing preparation. It provides the drawing platform necessary for creating the necessary drawings for reports and design purposes.
  • Easy user interface; very similar to AutoCAD, which makes for an easy transition.
  • Easy file management
  • Customizable
  • Copying many entities bogs it down sometimes.
  • Layout setup and scaling is not straight forward or simple.
DraftSight is well suited for all uses including mapping, design of components, and assembly drawings. DraftSight is a great value and a powerful tool.