https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/U3/2I/FMAJG79MFJRL.pngPerfect software for teachers and students. Create your own school!I am using Edmodo by myself. In my free time, after my work is done in my company, I am working as a teacher. I always go meet my students in places but then I met Edmodo. Now, thanks to Edmodo, I do not have to go out with my students because we started to use Edmodo and it is an easy way for us to give courses and get courses. Edmodo is reliable and safe product for both students and teachers and it is easy to use.,Edmodo provides users to create their own classes. This is a perfect and strong side of Edmodo for me. Edmodo is really safe and a reliable software for anyone like teachers, students and even for parents. Easy to use. Edmodo is basic and similar to much other software used by people like Facebook.,Edmodo does not have a good interface when you connect it. The background is not making people get excited. The functionality of Edmodo is quite okay I can not say anything about features and what the product provides you. I want to highlight the mobile version of Edmodo at this point. The Mobile version is not working properly as much as the website version. It needs some work and improvements.,8,Edmodo is quite a reliable and safe product. You can do quizzes with your students anytime and share files about courses. Unfortunately, there is no private chatting option between students and teachers.,,Salesforce Analytics Cloud, TimeCamp, TogglGreat e-learning program ever !I am working hard already and also I am teaching my students about project management and marketing. I was looking for some software and I discovered Edmodo. it is really helping me with long distance exams and evaluation. Generally, I am coming home after work and opening my computer and starting to give education to my students whenever I want and wherever I go, this is a great opportunity for me without going to my students home and they do not have to come to my home. Thanks to Edmodo my life is easier.,It is very similar to Facebook in layout so you can learn about Edmodo fast. It is asy to make assignments, homework and grades and comments to students. The most important thing for me is that Edmodo is really reliable and safe software for anyone.,The compatibility of the application should be improved for smartphones. Customer service should be improved as well, takes a long time to reach customer support. Edmodo needs more marketing and multi-language support.,8,I can use it for my job when I am in the company. Notifications are making my job quite easy. At times the notifications reach me late so this is causing me to lose some time at my workplace.,,AgentTime Scheduler, Weebly, MoodleIt will make your work more easier.Edmodo is being used in our courses, especially by teachers. We are working with students and staff members. And I particularly use Edmodo for training for the staff members and creating online classrooms for my students. Edmodo makes my job easier, it turns our entire organization into a paperless one. And the best thing is that you can use its perfect tools for unlimited projects and groups.,Unlimited access Simple to use Flexible interface Friendly customer service Perfect Design,File supporting- extra features would be great Real-time grading Comment section need improvements,9,We are excited about Edmodo, we never feel any negative impact Edmodo can turns your jobs to easier ones. It's the best online classroom service in market,Google Classroom,Slack, Shopify, PreziEdmodo leads you transfer to paperless mode.Edmodo is a perfect online platform for education. As a trainer, I can say that you can't find something like that. Edmodo provides great tools for teachers and people who need one space for collaborate with his/her audience. You can add other viewers, for example, if you are working with minors you can add their parents to the group.,It does not require any steps for setup. Just a few clicks and you are ready. So simple to Use Customer Service is perfect Integration with Google Drive,Mobile version Adds are annoying More complex grading methods would be perfect,9,It gives you huge opportunity for changing your education mode to paperless one It suits me perfectly It is a daily app for me,Google Classroom,Google Classroom, Prezi, Google FormsA great way to hybridize your classroomMany teachers in our organization use Edmodo in the classroom, but we also have schools and committees that are using Edmodo for their professional learning communities. We have found Edmodo useful in a large school district like ours, as it allows many of our teachers who are alone in their buildings, like Librarians, Art and Music teachers, and PE teachers, to asynchronously communicate with each other about best practices, share lesson plans, and have a stronger sense of team.,Edmodo syncs with my Google Drive, making the sharing of assignments, handouts, pictures, and videos incredibly easy. Because I can store often-used materials in my Edmodo library, I can find them easily for the next time I am working on that unit. The quizzes are easy to set up and they can be used again, so if I need to do a check for understanding on a particular topic in multiple classrooms, or use the same baseline data collection quiz for more than one semester, I need only create the quiz once. The calendar feature for Edmodo allows me to plan my lessons days, even weeks ahead. I can keep assignments hidden until the day I plan to teach them, and if I need extra time for a lesson within a unit, adjusting the due dates is a simple drag-and-drop operation.,One of the features that my students and I were upset to lose was the Tagging option for assignments. When I used the Tags to mark a Unit, students who had missed a significant amount of school could search for the appropriate tag (say, Unit 2 Persuasive) to find the assignments and materials easily. Having to scroll down through the news feed was time-consuming and cumbersome, and students were unable to locate lecture notes by clicking on the calendar, so without the tags, locating missed assignments was frustrating. I don't mind making my own badges, but I wish there were an easy-to-find location where I could find badges created by other teachers so I could borrow them for my own classes.,9,Edmodo made grading easier and less cumbersome for me; I could take home my laptop instead of a bag full of papers. Edmodo made communicating with my students easier; I could send reminders and notifications to them when they were not in my classroom. Edmodo made communicating with parents easier and more meaningful; I could hold Parent-Teacher conversations over the phone while we both looked at the student's data online simultaneously.,
Edmodo

Edmodo Reviews

Edmodo
Filter 54 vetted Edmodo reviews and ratings
Susanne Lang profile photo
March 30, 2018

Edmodo Review: "Perfect software for teachers and students. Create your own school!"

• Edmodo provides users to create their own classes. This is a perfect and strong side of Edmodo for me.
  • Edmodo is really safe and a reliable software for anyone like teachers, students and even for parents.
  • Easy to use. Edmodo is basic and similar to much other software used by people like Facebook.
  • Edmodo does not have a good interface when you connect it. The background is not making people get excited.
  • The functionality of Edmodo is quite okay I can not say anything about features and what the product provides you.
  • I want to highlight the mobile version of Edmodo at this point. The Mobile version is not working properly as much as the website version. It needs some work and improvements.
I am using another application software like Edmodo. The difference between them is when Edmodo is updating. The update is fast which is the best side of Edmodo. Also, when you are using Edmodo and you have so many students and classes, sometimes you get confused. The ability to connect with other educators and sharing experiences by talking to them is great.
Read Susanne Lang's full review
Barbara Johnson profile photo
January 26, 2018

Edmodo Review: "Great e-learning program ever !"

• It is very similar to Facebook in layout so you can learn about Edmodo fast.
  • It is asy to make assignments, homework and grades and comments to students.
  • The most important thing for me is that Edmodo is really reliable and safe software for anyone.
  • The compatibility of the application should be improved for smartphones.
  • Customer service should be improved as well, takes a long time to reach customer support.
  • Edmodo needs more marketing and multi-language support.
At some point If you are a teacher you can not reach out to all of your students, for instance, I have 15 students and it is really hard to look after all of them but with Edmodo, the impossible is becoming possible. You can teach anything to all students with this software. At some point most of the parents do not like having to sign up for service, even it is free for them and this situation makes the teacher sad because we want parents to see their children getting a quality education.
Read Barbara Johnson's full review
Gore Abdulov profile photo
November 30, 2017

Edmodo Review: "It will make your work more easier."

• Unlimited access
  • Simple to use
  • Flexible interface
  • Friendly customer service
  • Perfect Design
  • File supporting- extra features would be great
  • Real-time grading
  • Comment section need improvements
Well, Edmodo is the best e-learning platform. Even you do not have to meet your audience face to face. And there are tons of free courses in different subjects. Now everyone can join them easily and increase their general knowledge or in specific subjects. I am individually using Edmodo for creating groups for my students and our staff members. There are plenty of tools for doing different kinds of work. If you are working with pupils, then you can add their parents to the group and they can only view their child's grades. You can create assignments for your members and you can grade them using Edmodo.
Read Gore Abdulov's full review
Malwina Sawicka profile photo
December 08, 2017

Review: "Edmodo leads you transfer to paperless mode."

• It does not require any steps for setup. Just a few clicks and you are ready.
  • So simple to Use
  • Customer Service is perfect
  • Integration with Google Drive
  • Mobile version
  • Adds are annoying
  • More complex grading methods would be perfect
I am working with adults and students. The online grading feature is perfect, you can see who finished their papers or who didn't. And of course it's working with Google Drive and that means it does not require any downloads. Joining any group is so simple, you can add a new member by using their email or they individually join by using group code. I am a trainer and modern education systems require more mobility and flexibility. All of them is included in Edmodo, everything in one place. It helped me to transfer to a paperless mode for my job. I usually work with the web version of Edmodo, but sometimes I need to check my stuff quickly, with the mobile version. But I don't like it as much, It is not working well as the web version. I think they have to do some improvements on that side.
Read Malwina Sawicka's full review
Sudi Stodola profile photo
September 25, 2015

Edmodo Review: "A great way to hybridize your classroom"

• Edmodo syncs with my Google Drive, making the sharing of assignments, handouts, pictures, and videos incredibly easy. Because I can store often-used materials in my Edmodo library, I can find them easily for the next time I am working on that unit.
  • The quizzes are easy to set up and they can be used again, so if I need to do a check for understanding on a particular topic in multiple classrooms, or use the same baseline data collection quiz for more than one semester, I need only create the quiz once.
  • The calendar feature for Edmodo allows me to plan my lessons days, even weeks ahead. I can keep assignments hidden until the day I plan to teach them, and if I need extra time for a lesson within a unit, adjusting the due dates is a simple drag-and-drop operation.
  • One of the features that my students and I were upset to lose was the Tagging option for assignments. When I used the Tags to mark a Unit, students who had missed a significant amount of school could search for the appropriate tag (say, Unit 2 Persuasive) to find the assignments and materials easily. Having to scroll down through the news feed was time-consuming and cumbersome, and students were unable to locate lecture notes by clicking on the calendar, so without the tags, locating missed assignments was frustrating.
  • I don't mind making my own badges, but I wish there were an easy-to-find location where I could find badges created by other teachers so I could borrow them for my own classes.
I find Edmodo to be especially suited to secondary school. It is a great way to accommodate the busy schedules of teens who are often working their first jobs or attending sports and have limited time for homework, but can benefit from looking up assignments or receiving reminders on their phones. It also prepares them for college in that it resembles many collegiate LMS systems.
Read Sudi Stodola's full review
Brandon Rainbeau profile photo
September 23, 2015

Review: "How the Edmodo LMS can expand your teaching horizon"

Edmodo is or was used by many different teachers in various departments across the two high schools I have worked at. Some teachers I found simply used Edmodo as a means to communicate with parents. I found that the vast majority of teachers used Edmodo as their class website, a place where they could upload their course content. A few teachers, myself included, used some of the more advanced Edmodo features, such as their polling, online testing, online assignment submitting/grading, and video sharing features.
  • Edmodo is an excellent communication tool. Its Facebook style of posts makes it a familiar environment for teachers to communicate what's happening in class with both students and parents.
  • Edmodo's ability to submit and grade assignments online is easy to use and very similar to some other popular LMS platforms. Assignment collection is straightforward and the digital grading tools are simple and effective.
  • Edmodo makes it extremely easy to get both students and parents into the the LMS system. Edmodo also has an easy to use subgrouping feature as well, allowing teachers to divide individual classrooms into smaller groups for particular assignments.
  • Edmodo's online testing feature is fairly easy to use. I have found this a useful feature for both informal and formal assessment of students.
  • Edmodo's polling feature is simple and effective. There are many uses for polling both in and out of the classroom.
  • Edmodo's messaging feature is a nice way to communicate between student and teacher or parent and teacher.
  • Edmodo's app (Android or iOS), although not as feature rich as the website, works well with many of the features already listed above.
  • Edmodo has a very nice Calendar feature, allowing the teacher to easily post important information and/or due dates of assignments.
  • Edmodo makes it easy to share folders, either with the public or with your classes.
  • Edmodo, like many other popular LMS platforms, integrates nicely with Google Drive.
  • Edmodo has a great many community forums. This really is an amazing feature of their LMS. It is so very easy to connect with other teachers and bounce ideas off of each other.
  • Although Edmodo has a nice online assessment feature, it lacks in critical areas. It is difficult to attach diagrams or charts to questions. This can be done, but they are displayed in a module which pops up in front of the question. This thus hides the questions when looking at the diagram, picture, etc.
  • Questions can be randomized in Edmodo when students take an assessment, which is a nice feature. Answer choices, however, cannot be randomized.
  • Edmodo could use a much better WYSIWYG editor. It can be difficult to incorporate equations or subscript for instance.
  • The analytical data offered in assessments is decent, but it would be good if the following was added: it would be good to see which answers where most commonly missed by students; it would be good if more class data was given, such as average, median, low scores.
  • Other LMS platforms do a much nicer job of incorporating these feature directly into the question.
  • You are unable to add attachments to Calendar postings. This would be a very useful feature.
  • Updates can get lost after a while, and are difficult to search for. Once you have a large numbers of postings, finding older postings, which very well could be assignments or assessments, can be tedious for both students and parents. Even with using the built in filter feature, this is certainly an area I could see improvement being made.
  • Although Edmodo has a nice Folder feature to store your materials as a teacher, it is painstaking to use once you have a large number of items in a folder. The drop and drag feature is slow, and doesn't always stick. There is no subfolder feature as well. So, although you can organize materials, other LMS platforms make it much easier to organize and share you materials with students, parents, and other colleagues.
I would say that Edmodo is very feature rich and a great website and communication tool for teachers to use. However, I would inquire as to whether someone looking at LMS platforms is looking for just those features or something more comprehensive. For all the positives I could say about Edmodo, I really don't believe it fills the role of a true LMS system. It has a very familiar interface (Facebook-like) and it is super easy to get started as a teacher, student, or parent. It allows for great communication and it is easy to share resources. However, if you wanted to develop a true online course, or even a blended course for that matter, other LMS platforms make this easier and have more developed tools than does Edmodo.
Read Brandon Rainbeau's full review
Hershey Groff profile photo
September 18, 2015

User Review: "A Look Inside Edmodo"

Edmodo is being used to connect students, parents, and the community with teachers and administrators in their schools. It allows teachers to upload text messages, digital content, class schedules, digital assignments, and use align educational applications. Additionally, it allows teachers to collaborate and share materials as well as providing the opportunity for classes to connect to other schools from around the world to share ideas and content. It is used in our district on a teacher by teacher basis and is up to the discretion of the teacher on whether or not to incorporate it in their particular classes. When used correctly it allows teachers to have instant access to their students outside the classroom and encourages student-teacher collaboration and class engagement.
  • Removes the physical barriers of the classroom and allows learning to continue beyond the confines of the school.
  • Allows students to access class files and missed work so no student can fall too far behind.
  • Provides an opportunity to be utilized in a flipped classroom.
  • Teachers can connect with other teachers to share lessons, student work, and teaching tools.
  • Google Classroom is more stream lined, offers students the same functions as Edmodo, and is preferred among majority of students.
  • Students are often locked out of their classrooms after 14 days, forget passwords, and have trouble finding class folders.
  • Edmodo's platform has been relatively unchanged for the past several years and students seem to want to try newer applications and technologies.
It is well suited for use in high schools where students have smart phones and can utilize functions such as push notifications about updates and schedule changes. It has also been very beneficial in using it to connect sports coaches to their players (often who they do not teach or see during the regular school day) and for club advisers to communicate with its members. Keeping parents informed of class activities and assignments is another area where Edmodo excels in its application and usage. I'm not sure if it would be as well suited for any use outside of educational purposes as it is geared for use in the classroom.
Read Hershey Groff's full review
Hillary Marshall profile photo
September 15, 2015

Review: "Edmodo tops the Classroom Management tool list! Check it out for your Middle School students!"

As a middle school library Media Specialist, our private, international school in Seoul choose to use Edmodo as a classroom management tool. We found the interface easy to use with students and although it took parents some time to catch on, it ended up being a useful tool. I especially liked how you could create a quiz and Edmodo would grade it immediately for you. It made for a quick assessment check for understanding with my students. Also, it was a platform students could help their peers with too, yet we could monitor their discussion and make sure that it was educationally appropriate.
  • Running posts dialogue: Helps students answer each other's questions. Helps the teacher see where the mis-understanding happened in instruction.
  • Quiz feature: Creating and immediately graded feedback is helpful for the teacher in time management and provides students with instantaneous information.
  • Interface is really user friendly. Very similar to Facebook and many of our younger middle school students weren't age appropriate for a Facebook account yet.
  • Easier connection for parents. They get lost in the steps of signing up and monitoring.
  • A more mature interface would be appropriate if you were trying to market high school aged students.
  • It would be interesting to allow principals to add comments and participate by seeing the results of the entire department. For example, is there statistical information on the 6th grade English department's use of the Edmodo license?
The key question is who is your audience using this product. And, what is your main purpose in wanting this classroom management platform to perform? Is the audience is an upper elementary (grade 4 or 5) and/or middle school (6th and 7th) classroom, grade level, or school? I think this is an excellent platform. If you are wanting a way to deliver digital content (assignments, teaching information, assessments) and communicate effectively with parents, this is the tool to do that work.
Read Hillary Marshall's full review
Kat Crawford profile photo
September 15, 2015

User Review: "Edmodo: Get Personal-ized!"

We use Edmodo to maintain a personal learning network of teachers virtually. These are teachers who work in very isolated schools and really benefit from the virtual connection that Edmodo provides. We also assist these teachers as they set up Edmodo in their classrooms. We help them backward design their student's Edmodo experience. We believe that Edmodo has the safest and most secure LMS platform available to teachers. The best part about working with Edmodo is the connection that we have with the company themselves. After meeting them at a conference, I was able to foster a partnership with them and they are very responsive to tech support and participating in our Edmodo training sessions. Edmodo is growing, they take teacher's input and spit out great new products that really enhance the user's experience. I test out each LMS that enters the market and in the past five years, nothing has come close to the experience that teachers and students have on Edmodo.
  • Safety and security
  • Engaging students
  • Offers personalized learning
  • Search functions
  • Upload formats
  • Customization of graphics and colors with groups
Edmodo works best when students can have 1:1 access, even if it is in a rotational setting.
Read Kat Crawford's full review
Randy Fairfield profile photo
September 30, 2015

User Review: "Buck the status quo: switch to Edmodo"

I use Edmodo as a way to enhance (not replace) the experiences that parents and students have with what I would already normally be doing in my classroom. I teach in a setting where I only see my students a few times a week, so being able to communicate with them while working from home has been essential. Posting assignments on Edmodo gives students a chance to see written reminders of directions and due dates that I've stated orally. Putting assignments online also gives me the chance to attach files, link websites, and allow students to learn 21st Century skills all while saving paper and ink. Posting my learning targets, success criteria, and assignments for parents and missing students to see creates transparency and helps absent students get caught up. I never have to worry about losing an assignment... and it's helpful to have saved and organized digital copies of assignments that my students turn in. Sometimes I'll be able to have conversations with students through Edmodo that would be uncomfortable for students to initiate. Linked parent accounts create total transparency and trust regarding such conversations. I completed my Master's thesis on the topic of using Edmodo in an alternative learning environment and the results were overwhelmingly positive. Teachers, once you go to Edmodo, you won't go back!
  • Communicating with students and parents.
  • Gradebook that allows students and parents to constantly monitor student progress.
  • The social learning environment is awesome! Sometimes students help each other before I need to even get involved.
  • Transparency.
  • Automated grading of quizzes.
  • The lack of weighted grading features has frustrated some of my colleagues.
  • The inability for parents to engage in any two-way communication has frustrated some.
  • The "fill-in-blank" feature of the quizzes is only useful if you're checking for the exact word and spelling that ought to go in the blank.
If you're working in a high poverty area where students are less likely to have access to technology at home and/or at school, equity of access could be an issue.
Read Randy Fairfield's full review
Ms.Gabriela Ackert profile photo
September 18, 2015

Edmodo Review: "Best online platform ever!"

I use Edmodo as a hybrid class with my seventh grade Spanish students. My class is paperless thanks to Edmodo. Students submit assignments, quizzes and projects online through Edmodo. I can grade them and offer individualized feedback to them as well. Parents have access codes to monitor their children's progress in class. Students collaborate, and participate on forums and online discussions on Edmodo. Most teachers in my school district use it.
  • Teachers can monitor students online easily due to an Edmodo feauture that allows educators to have full control over what is posted online.
  • Edmodo allows students to sync Google docs through the "backpack" feature.
  • Edmodo is user friendly.
  • Edmodo is a safe online educational platform for teachers and students.
  • Edmodo connects educators across the globe.
  • I would like to be able to classify my homework into marking periods, as of now all grades appear as assignments were posted, pethaps give us a feature that allows the teacher to divide into marking periods, semesters, quarters etc.
Read Ms.Gabriela Ackert's full review
Jessica Groff profile photo
September 16, 2015

User Review: "Test the Waters with Edmodo"

Many teachers at our school use or have used Edmodo as a method for organizing information and maintaining communication for and with students. Recently, students began utilizing Edmodo as a communication tool to form groups and send out notifications for school and even social events. Teachers have also used Edmodo for collaboration and professional development purposes.
  • Edmodo is a great tool for communication. You can easily send out alerts and assignments to all users.
  • Edmodo is also great for forming groups outside of the classroom. If you have a study group, you can post comments and materials for easy access.
  • Edmodo also has a calendar option that quickly organizes upcoming assignments.
  • Edmodo is a stand-alone app - meaning you have to use other resources for posts or collaborative folders to share information and documents.
  • Edmodo also has no back-channel, which for some is a good thing, but in districts that use filters for language, it is good to have students be able to communicate through something other than a public forum.
  • Student's have to have a code and remember passwords to get into classes, and teachers can change passwords. While this sounds great, kids often forget their passwords and use the teacher as a crutch, which means you spend a LOT of time changing passwords!
Edmodo is a free online tool, and it can be used in a variety of ways for teachers. It is not only a place to gather student information, you can also find help forums for different topics that you are teaching about, as well as materials for implementing CCSS and PARCC. If your district is slowly moving to a BYOD policy, and has not yet purchased a unifying program for your district, Edmodo is a great option to start your journey into Ed Tech.
Read Jessica Groff's full review
Audrey Thornborrow profile photo
August 19, 2015

"Edmodo Review"

Edmodo has been such a wonderful tool for my classroom. It has simplified tasks, aided communication with and between students outside of school, and encouraged participation and accessibility to students. I utilize Edmodo to send mass messages to students over the weekend and on snow days. Students use it to contact me or their peers after school hours when they need assistance with homework. I've utilized the quiz and gradebook to help ease my grading workload. I've even used it to create forums for shy students to participate in an online discussion so they can earn points for participation. In addition the the help Edmodo has brought to me and my students with classroom tasks, it has opened up a network of teachers with whom I can communicate and share material. I greatly appreciate the online community of teachers from whom I've been able to get resources and assistance. I am greatful for Edmodo and the way it's helped me be a more connected educator.
  • Networking--you have access to other teachers all around the world
  • Grading--easy access to the gradebook. You can easily create quizzes that can be graded for you
  • Participation--my shy students love this tool. They can share their thoughts and ideas in private without being forced to speak in front of the class
  • Communication--I can contact students and they can contact me or each other whenever they have questions after school hours.
  • Better search options for resources
It's well suited for organization, creativity, participation, communication, simplification, and increasing connectivity with teachers.
Read Audrey Thornborrow's full review
Darcy Calvillo profile photo
April 08, 2015

User Review: "EDMODO focuses on a win/win for all!"

Edmodo is used to engage students and allows for student to use it in the classroom, on portable devices, at home and on the go. I develop lessons and Implement them via CCSS standards. Information is recorded and progress assists me in easily establishing grading, popular assignments, areas of reteaching and a high level of communications amongst, teachers, students, administrators, parents and remote monitoring agencies, I.E. partners or vendors. Vendors are those service providers that provide applications or academic resources used in teaching.
  • Wonderful communications tool to help a teacher to plan!
  • Wonderful student engagement.
  • Fantastic time savings for teachers who can have more time to help individual students rather than talk too much in classrooms.
  • Great for collaboration of tests or assignments amongst sharing teachers.
  • Easy to create surveys for students and teachers to evaluate needs.
  • The test pages should allow for documents like short stories to be accessed so an exam does not have too much information, confusing students.
  • It used to be easier to send assignments back to students to re-do, now you have to give a low grade and hope the student sees the grade and re-does thier work.
I see EDMODO as a tool that can elliminate textbooks. As long as you use Standard stories, tried and true, you will have no issues. Edmodo does a great job of chunking and allowing the students to take better ownership of work and helps them organize as well.
Read Darcy Calvillo's full review
Matt Turney profile photo

"Edmodo Review"

I initially implemented Edmodo to provide a flipped learning environment. The advantages were staggering. The opportunity for students to have access to our class 24/7 via Edmodo alleviated any problems with students being out for absences or extracurricular [activities].
  • 24/7 online access for students to submit work and communicate with the teacher.
  • 24/7 access for parents to access student work and look for missing assignments.
  • Collaboration was a pleasant surprise.
  • Peer to Peer collaberation
  • Mobile device application
  • Ipad web interface.
Read Matt Turney's full review
Tamara Letter profile photo
November 28, 2014

User Review: "Edmodo for Education"

Edmodo is a fantastic program that provides a means for communication and collaboration in several different facets, within select departments. Currently, we are not using Edmodo for cross-district purposes; however, this does not minimize the instructional impact this program has had for the teachers who use it within their own classrooms. Edmodo provides an easy-to-use interface for student use and includes a large quantity of online storage space for assignments and resources. Students can access Edmodo from any web-enabled device, allowing communication and collaboration to occur beyond traditional school hours.
  • Edmodo has an easy-to-use, appealing graphic design that puts even the most tech-resistant user at ease.
  • Edmodo's assessment features such as quizzes and polls allow users to gain data in a quick, meaningful format that includes individualized tracking and group graphics.
  • Edmodo provides a means of motivation for student users through the awarding of badges.
  • Edmodo's personal app store allows students who do not have access to a mobile device the opportunity to participate in various programs and activities otherwise inaccessible.
  • Edmodo provides an excellent source of professional resources as users can connect with other users and groups who have a shared interest.
  • As Edmodo expands from a teacher/student use, it would be great to see common options such as badges offered for teacher/teacher use.
  • The new view of Edmodo provides generic avatars, replacing unique clip art options. While this does help to streamline the overall view of the website, students enjoyed having the opportunity to select a personalized avatar that reflected their own interests.
  • Uploading documents to the Edmodo library is quick and seamless. The downloading and transfer process is a bit more cumbersome.
Edmodo is an excellent tool for educators who are looking to increase online communication and collaboration among each other and with their students. Prospects would be best advised to seek out the Edmodo District Admin if looking to gain more information about how Edmodo is or could be used in a school district.
Read Tamara Letter's full review
Amanda Sharpe profile photo
February 13, 2014

Review: "Edmodo - Great tool for collaborative online learning"

The use of Edmodo at my two junior high schools is variable, and has changed over time. Over the last two years, Edmodo use had spread across all departments and discplines, and roughly 40% of teachers were using Edmodo to one degree or another with their classes. Many teachers used Edmodo simply as a way to communicate with students and parents regarding upcoming assignments, due dates, and class activities using the calendar feature. Students were using the backpack feature to store documents, because our district shared drives were not accessible off campus, and Edmodo allowed them to store files at school and access them at home. Edmodo use was encouraged by the administration, but not required, and many teachers simply did not use it at all. On the other extreme, some teachers used Edmodo extensively, to conduct class discussions, share content with students, assign and track student work, and even to grade and share grades. Those teachers who were using Edmodo more as a way to facilitate online discussion and interaction, or to allow groups to work together online in a safe forum, are still using Edmodo for those purposes.

This year, however, much of that has changed because the district implemented a new learning management system that is actually integrated with our grading platform. Use of Edmodo has gone down dramatically as a result, as the new system has become the default for teachers to post assignments and calendar dates to classes and parents.
  • Edmodo does a great job of providing an online forum for engaging students in collaboration, sharing, and discussion, especially for project based learning. The moderated discussion options allow teachers to give students leeway to interact with each other, while also providing them with the tools needed to keep discussions relevant and appropriate, and to teach students digital literacy and netiquette.
  • Edmodo is an excellent tool for connecting teachers to other teachers around the world using the tool. It is the only truly international learning management environment that allows teachers to create and join groups based on common interests, answer each others' questions, and share resources.
  • If you are not currently using another learning management system, Edmodo is a good solution for managing on online class environment. It is free to use, and if you register a district subdomain, you can very closely control teacher and student accounts and maintain a safe, respectful environment for online work and collaboration.
  • One limitation we found with Edmodo, especially for those of us who were truly using it to manage our class environments, was that it did not integrate with our student information system (SIS). This meant that all student registration and class creation had to be done by teachers, instead of pulling automatically from the SIS. The labor-intensive nature of this prevented many busy teachers from even giving Edmodo a chance. Being able to pull information from the SIS into Edmodo would have been invaluable.
  • Another limitation was the gradebook, which also was not compatible our existing gradebook. Although Edmodo allows you to export your gradebook as an excel file, it does not provide a mechanism for importing your grades directly into your other grading software.
Edmodo is best implemented after teachers have been trained in the proper use of the product. We had a couple of teachers register their entire classes before learning enough about how to manage their classes and class discussions safely, and because of that they did not put the proper safeguards in place to moderate and control discussion, nor did they invest time in training their students in proper use or online etiquette. This resulted in some very inappropriate discussions being posted by students the very first evening, which scared the teacher off from ever using Edmodo again.

When student registration is done in a supervised manner, such as in the computer lab or library, so that teachers can make sure that students are registering with their real names, and on the district subdomain (to guarantee that the district admin will have control over their accounts), and they are immediately trained in online communication etiquette in a moderated online class environment, Edmodo can be a very valuable learning tool.
Read Amanda Sharpe's full review
Amanda Youngblood profile photo
February 12, 2014

User Review: "Edmodo: Communication & Collaboration"

At Windermere Preparatory School, teachers use Edmodo as a communication tool for classes and advisories. Although it is not a mandatory tool, many teachers have chosen it for its user-friendly interface and its useful collection of tools. At my previous district, Edmodo was more widely used, allowing a simple way for teachers to get their feet wet with online and blended learning, in addition to giving teachers an easy way to communicate with their students. As an early adopter, I trained many of the teachers at my school and in my district, and was honored to present during an online Edmodo-sponsored webcast.
  • Edmodo is a fabulous communication tool. It sends out emails and/or text messages to students (and parents, if they have a connected account) whenever a teacher creates an Alert and when an assignment is due soon. The ability for students to comment and rate (using different icons with “feelings”) allows for additional interaction. Edmodo is smart though, and only allows students to message their teacher or reply using the comments. Direct student messaging is not possible, minimizing the threat of bullying or inappropriate use.
  • For administration and counselors, Edmodo is a great way to get out important information such as scholarship deadlines, school closings, and reminders. Clubs and advisories could also use Edmodo to connect members, as well as to discuss and plan events.
  • The ability to share resources is also helpful, especially for students who may have forgotten a particular paper at home or lost a handout. And now that teachers don’t have to upload each file one-by-one, it’s much more practical.
  • Another favorite ability that Edmodo offers is linked parent accounts. By using a code that is specific to a particular student, parents can make a parent account that is attached to the student’s account. They can see the Planner and check their student’s Progress, but they aren’t able to post, comment, or submit assignments. Also, parents can message teachers but not students, adding an extra level of security to the group.
  • Badges are an innovative (and increasingly popular) method for rewarding or motivating students or for acknowledging achievements. Edmodo has the ability to create and award badges, offering pre-made badges in addition to giving teachers the ability to create their own or use badges shared by other teachers.
  • One of my favorite tools is the Planner. This is where a teacher can literally plan the flow of a unit or activity. Assignments and quizzes auto-populate based on due dates, but additional events can be added. Since students can also see the Planner for their particular group, this is a great tool for keeping students (and parents) up-to-date on what’s happening when.
  • One of the biggest drawbacks to Edmodo is that it’s difficult to find things with the search bar. Often, even if a teacher knows the exact title of a post or attachment, the search will fail to find anything. And since the feed is chronological, something posted at the beginning of the year is completely buried by more recent posts, making it almost impossible for students to go back and reference that information. An improved search tool would help here.
  • Additionally, the apps, which are at interesting idea, aren’t particularly well integrated or explained, leaving many teachers uncertain of their usefulness. This is particularly true of the paid apps.
  • Edmodo is a primarily a communications tool and not a full-fledged LMS, and therefore it doesn’t have many of the sophisticated tools and options that Blackboard, Haiku, or Moodle offer (such as chats, forums, contingent assignments, etc.). Many teachers don’t understand the difference between Edmodo and LMS tools, leaving them frustrated when the service doesn’t allow them to do a particular activity. However, knowing the purpose of Edmodo and choosing the appropriate tool for the teacher’s needs will minimize this issue.
My recommendation would be based strongly on what the teacher is hoping to use Edmodo for. If they want a tool to communicate and collaborate, with some LMS options, then Edmodo is a strong contender. However, if a teacher is looking for an option to run an online course, then he or she will likely be frustrated at the limitations of Edmodo.

Edmodo excels at its purpose, which is to be a place for students and teachers to communicate and collaborate. And, since it’s free, it’s definitely worth checking out.
Read Amanda Youngblood's full review
Barbara Boksz, Ph.D. profile photo
February 11, 2014

User Review: "Teaching Social Media Through Edmodo"

Edmodo is being widely used in Education. My school district has approved its use throughout the district for all grade levels as on online communication platform particularly for students to receive assignments and share their projects, reflections, etc. My professional use of it started with using it in my own classroom for the students to be able to share their projects with their classmates, and reflect on their work. This process has expanded to use Edmodo with 3 other schools in my district. The students in each of the three schools are put into groups with students from the other schools. They then share projects with relative strangers who give them feedback from peers similar to what they would get by sharing on Social Media. This gives the 4 teachers involved a chance to teach them how to properly protect themselves and use Social Media. It also gives the teachers control of their interactions, so netiquette and cybersafety can be taught. In addition, using Edmodo helped the teachers figure out how to give the students an "authentic" audience in a safe environment. The project has helped the teachers improve their teaching skills as well by co-teaching virtually.
  • Teachers have control of who can be in the virtual classroom, yet does not limit attendees to just one school, but others from around the world can be invited to join the classroom.
  • The gradebook feature allows quizzes and surveys to be served to students and gives immediate feedback to students with their results.
  • The use of the small group function lets unlimited groups be created, so you can divide students for working together.
  • The function of uploading documents to posts allows students to share their work. They can upload many types of files, or link to a common website for discussion.
  • The library function allows teachers to share documents with each other and students.
  • The turn in button allows students to communicate with just the teacher.
  • It would be wonderful if the gradebook function of Edmodo could be linked to Grade Quick which is our official grading software. At the present time when quizzes and graded assignments are completed in Edmodo, teachers have to transfer the grades manually. If the digital link could be created, it would automatically go to the official gradebook, thus saving teachers some time.
  • Sharing files in the library should be made easier between teachers. At the present time, if I've created an assignment for my classes with other teachers, I have to be the one posting them all the time. If I could share ownership of the assignments/quizzes, etc. the other teachers could share in serving the assignments to the students.
  • Being able to bulk delete or move posts would be an awesome function. Sometimes kids post in the wrong group, and it messes up the classroom front page. To move them, the teacher has to get each student to copy and paste the post to the correct area, or do that themselves. However, if a teacher could move all 30 posts herself, it would help with instruction time.
The main challenge we had at first was that our district used Internet Explorer as its default browser and Google Chrome was utilized by Edmodo. When Edmodo updated its software, we had to fight our district to change to Google Chrome. We eventually got that done. However, checking for compatibility of software and browsers needs to be done before depending on it.

Also, currently I use Edline for some discussions and quizzes because it sends grades right to my gradebook, where Edmodo grades need to be transferred over.

On the flip side, if I want communication with an authentic audience outside my classroom, I use Edmodo for activities because it can be accessed world wide.
Read Barbara Boksz, Ph.D.'s full review
Sarah McGuire profile photo
February 11, 2014

Review: "Edmodo- Extend your classroom beyond the walls"

Edmodo is being utilized in a number of classroom settings in both our middle and high schools. Teachers have integrated it on an individual basis as a learning management tool. The district is moving towards a 1:1 technology model, and in preparation, many teachers are experimenting with various platforms, and the implication is that a single one may be chosen for the district in the future.
  • Collaboration between students- I can have students interact in and outside of class using discussion boards, small group settings, messages, etc. Students who would be unlikely to participate in class are far more likely to in this setting, thereby allowing me access to data on their capabilities regardless of their shyness or fear of public speaking.
  • Data collection- Edmodo functions as a digital portfolio. I can access written work, assessments, gradebook entries, and a student's communication with others through this platform, and can archive it from year to year. I can compare students, or improve upon my own teaching with this data.
  • Extending the classroom environment beyond the school day- students have loved the opportunities to communicate with me and others outside of school walls. They can jump on their smart phones on the way into school and check on an assignment. They can shoot me a message if they are absent. I can run my class remotely if I am away for the day. The user interface is friendly and easy to use so students feel comfortable working with it regularly.
  • Formative assessments- the easy access to this platform for quick assessments allows me to immediately improve my teaching based on student needs.
  • Compatibility over many devices- My classroom has an iPad cart, and Edmodo became the way for my students to create content and get it on and off the machine easily. They could use it at home on computers, and on personal smart phones and other devices as well. The free aspect removed any and all barriers to access.
  • The iOS application version needs improvements in functionality. It just doesn't have everything that the web version offers. It has improved substantially this year, but still needs more capacity. I'd like to see it function better with other applications such as Drive.
  • I'd like the assessment feature to be able to be linked to standards for my viewing only. This would better help me utilize data from the assessments to target gaps in student learning.
  • The calendar has improved, but is still a bit hard to navigate, I'd like to see that more streamlined.
There are a few great learning management systems out there. I think Edmodo suits my 8th grade Social Studies classroom well. However, it may not be as appropriate for another subject, or perhaps for older students who need more capacity. I liked the friendly interface for middle school aged kids, but if I was teaching seniors in high school, I might lean more towards a Schoology interface for formality. I think that decision really comes down to personal preference, as the capacities and functionalities are so similar. We have had this debate in my school, and I highly recommend the use of this platform to my peers, but think the use of any similar platform could yield similar results if integrated appropriately into good teaching practice.
Read Sarah McGuire's full review
Melissa Hughes profile photo
February 17, 2014

User Review: "Edmodo rocks!"

Edmodo is being used by all teachers in our school district. I use it for classroom management and to post content for students for different classroom subjects. I especially like how it allows students to post comments and ask questions to the teacher, provides a planner, and they are able to access different multimedia content, documents and links. The Edmodo apps are particularly helpful especially for many different projects in the class. The areas that I think are problems for Edmodo are: not being able to search for certain posts by tags, and not providing more options for the teacher with the gradebook feature.
  • Controlled access and commenting between, students, teachers and parents.
  • Wide variety of app choices.
  • Student planner is a nice place for them to follow and manage their workload.
  • Teacher's ability to create small groups.
  • Better descriptions of various apps and their functions before purchasing.
  • Teacher and student planner: time feature so the event or task is more specific than just "day".
  • Provide a search or filter feature allowing one to search through posts by date or individual easily.
  • Provide more apps which do not require Flash, so they may be used on iOS devices.
This is a great tool for collaborating in a closed environment for the classroom. Students can collaborate with one another in small groups using blog features, but it is a safe, closed campus that the teacher has control over. It really is like having a complete classroom online.
Read Melissa Hughes's full review
Theresa Chavez, NBCT, Ed.D. profile photo
February 15, 2014

Review: "Edmodo- great for online learning and collaboration!"

Edmodo provides password protected access to teacher generated content and facilitates communication with students by teachers.
  • Edmodo is a convenient hub for posting assignments, resources and course communication.
  • Edmodo is easy to use and requires very limited computer expertise on the part of the teacher.
  • Some students and parents appreciated the single spot for chronologically ordered assignment postings and resources.
  • The organization of the site is inflexible.
  • The course pages can seem busy and can be confusing for parents and students to navigate.
  • The site becomes an additional maintenance responsibility for each prep. This can be problematic if a teacher also has a website, online grade book, and online communication to maintain elsewhere.
I think it is best for use with younger students who need lots of direction and do not have the ability to make decisions in utilizing resources themselves. I think the more uncomfortable a colleague is with technology- the more likely I would be to encourage edmodo. I also think it is great for a shorter professional development course or hub.
Read Theresa Chavez, NBCT, Ed.D.'s full review
Sondra Jones profile photo
February 14, 2014

User Review: "Edmodo for Elementary Chorus"

I currently use Edmodo for my elementary afterschool choral group consisting of 4th and 5th grade students. I use it to post calendar events that all members can see, post assignments for students, and to link videos and music files that the students can use to practice their songs at home. It is a valuable resource because it makes the files easily accessible to the students, saves me time and money from printing paper or making CD copies of music. I have also created a social page for those students to use to socialize with each other in a safe way and to help eliminate the need to socialize during our chorus meeting time once a week.
  • You can take polls of the students either for fun, or to get a feel for what they learned.
  • You can post assignments and track their progress.
  • You can reward the students with electronic "badges" which essentially replaces the old idea of "stickers'. This is cost effective.
  • It keeps all important documents in one place where it can be easily accessed by all members.
  • Some students have created multiple accounts and joined the same group twice. I'm not sure how or why they have had to create a second account, but a red flag should occur when two files of identical names try to join the same group.
I would like to see an easier version geared towards elementary children. Kidmodo perhaps? I think that the current version is better suited for Jr. High and H.S. students. I think some college classes might enjoy it's use as well and it certainly is a great place for keeping a class on track.
Read Sondra Jones's full review
Justin Leach profile photo
February 12, 2014

Review: "Edmodo: A great option for educators taking their first strides into online learning management systems."

I personally used Edmodo in my classroom as an alternative to the Blackboard Learning Management System. I was initially drawn to its simplistic, "Facebook-esque" interface, and its ability to send notifications to students on upcoming assignments. I found it easier for the students to access and quicker for them to master than Blackboard.
  • Simplistic, easy to access interface. Students relate to Facebook like format.
  • Google Drive Integration
  • Fantastic Professional Learning Communities and programming. The Polar Bear expedition program a few years ago is a prime example.
  • I've found that other learning management systems to have richer student discussion options.
  • Other learning management systems like Schoology have a deeper set of options in designing student assessments. For example, Schoology supports rubric based assessments.
  • Mobile app was not as versatile competitors.
Edmodo is a fantastic tool and I highly recommend it to any teacher. Personally, I have switched over to Schoology for this school year. If you are primarily going to be using a online learning management system for quick notifications and reminders Edmodo will be well suited for the task. If you plan on fully uploading a course onto a LMS than personally I find the behind the scenes infrastructure of a site like Schoology to be better adapted to the fluidity workflow, assessment creation flexibility, and student discussion options that are needed.
Read Justin Leach's full review
September 25, 2015

User Review: "Classroom tops Edmodo"

Edmodo was being used by most of our teachers as a classroom management tool. It began as being used only by a few of us, but turned into a whole school initiative, where we trained all of our staff on how to utilize it with our students. It solved the problem of how to distribute information to our students, assign assignments, as well as hold class discussions both in and out of class.
  • Classroom discussions. A teacher is able to pose a question and students were able to respond and discuss it, often times at home.
  • Posting assignments. Teachers were able to post assignments and students were able to see them all the time, even when they are absent.
  • Going paperless. Edmodo helped us make the transition to going paperless.
  • Class discussions were incredibly helpful, but were not easily threadable, causing students to not always be able to respond to each other.
  • Connecting with Google Drive was hit and miss, and in general required a lot of training and troubleshooting, even for our more technologically advanced teachers.
At this point my school has rolled over into using Google Classroom. This has been a much better fit with our curriculum, as we have become a completely GAFE (Google Apps For Education) School. I think Edmodo would be good for a business or company that is not GAFE, however, the ease of Google Classroom made our entire staff want to change.

About Edmodo