Emburse Abacus Reviews

May 13, 2021
Jason Guinn | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our entire organization uses Emburse Abacus for its single expense management platform. All reimbursable expenses, as well as accounting for company-paid purchasing card transactions are routed through Emburse Abacus. It serves as the single platform for expense management, review, reporting, and archiving of receipt images that would be required for audit purposes.
  • Real-Time Expense Review and Management
  • Business Intelligence
  • Purchasing Card Integration
  • Visible distinction between company-paid card transactions and reimbursable expenses
  • Level 3 transaction details from credit card data feeds
  • Integration with Paycor's HRIS
Emburse Abacus is well suited for mid-market organizations that are open to - or embrace - the concept of real-time processing of expense transactions. Emburse Abacus takes a radically different approach from other platforms that rely on modeling paper-based monthly (or periodic) expense reports containing multiple expenses submitted simultaneously. Emburse Abacus allows each transaction to be very rapidly processed individually so that approving managers and accounting professionals are able to perform review tasks and identify potential problems throughout the entire month, relieving the massive monthly influx of large numbers of expense reports simultaneously.
Read Jason Guinn's full review
May 24, 2021
Jason Chandler | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am very much contented to use Embrace Abacus as my expense management tool because it gives me a transparent idea about all of the financial expenses, when, where, and how a certain amount of money has been used. Now I always have real-time reporting and I can also track the credit limit. It is playing an amazing role in our company by providing reliable service.
  • It is a very useful platform it helps me effectively, it allows me to put restrictions on the dates, till a card could be used.
  • Embrace Abacus has provided me much relief and saved my time which was spent in chalking out the financial status of my organization.
  • Emburse Abacus has equipped me with amazing features which are helping me to automatically set various limits about the expenditures and I always remain up to date about any purchase.
  • There is some issue with the mobile application and also this application is difficult to utilize practically.
  • I wished some more training videos are available for better guidance and operation.
  • Its installation and configuration requires some time and took much effort.
This tool is very much helpful for those organizations, whose team works on a remote basis and especially I will recommend it to all the sales and marketing based companies. This application will keep you up to date about the expense of your employees and it will add great ease in the working of your accounting team.
Read Jason Chandler's full review
February 26, 2020
John Froehlich | TrustRadius Reviewer
Acabus is currently being used by our entire organization. Acabus addresses our expense reporting challenges. It always for seamless expense reporting, you can email receipts, take pictures, upload and then you'll get reimbursed. It's very intuitive and tackles the problem of losing receipts and makes tracking expenses a breeze and very easy to do.
  • Emailing receipts.
  • Uploading pictures of receipts.
  • Upload times for expenses.
Abacus is well suited for individuals that travel and have to bill expenses back to the company. I've been at companies where expense reports are such a manual process, and Abacus solved that instantly. It's an app that can be downloaded on your phone, you go to a client dinner take a picture of the bill, submit, and you are done!
The email support team has been great and gets back with detailed responses. I haven't experienced any problems with the app crashing or an expense not uploading correctly. It's been great to use so far!
Read John Froehlich's full review
February 23, 2020
Liz Duffié | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Abacus across our whole organization for corporate credit card expense reports as well as reimbursements.
  • Straightforward expense process
  • Would like to see reminder emails
  • Would like to see a place to add travel and expense policy
I am satisfied with Abacus but don't find it to be the most user-friendly. I have been happier with other expense platforms such as Expensify.
They are helpful but pretty hands-off. Fine when you have a large accounting team to manage the platform.
Read Liz Duffié's full review
February 21, 2020
Abacus is used across the entire organization to submit both client travel, event, and other expenses as well as internal travel, supplies, etc. expenses for reimbursement. Abacus streamlines the reimbursement process in a very user-friendly way. It allows for expenses to be submitted in realtime or at a later date via the Abacus app or through the Abacus website.
  • It makes expensing a very easy and straightforward process.
  • Allows users to create "trips" to organize all expenses associated with business travel.
  • The functionality rarely, but sometimes is glitchy and takes a simple restart to move forward.
Abacus is excellent for companies of all sizes and a gift for company accounting departments. The way that Abacus compartmentalizes expenses and provides clear expense categories makes it simple to use. The added feature of allowing a drop-down menu of all clients and the organization itself ensures that you can always start and submit an expense with ease.
I have never had to contact Abacus support and have not heard stories from any of my colleagues having to do so either. Our accounting department stresses the ease of Abacus and has not voiced any concerns with the software or the product support team or the product support process.
Kyle Rininger | TrustRadius Reviewer
Abacus is being used by the whole organization to help keep track of our expenses. Our team travels a lot for sales calls, conferences, and in-person training. Instead of issuing every employee a credit card Abacus gives our employees easy to use expense reports. They are paid back in days. Not to mention it keeps a list so you can review staff expenses.
  • Abacus has one of the best UX experiences. Very easy to understand and keep track of your expenses.
  • Abacus has an app in the iPhone and Google store that allows the user to enter receipts on the spot. No more losing those small pieces of paper.
  • Abacus emails you when an expense has been approved.
  • Room for improvement. Sometimes when inputting several receipts Abacus thinks I am inputting a double. A check box allowing expenses from the same place and the same price would be great.
Well suited - When your sales team is remote. When traveling is 50% or more of your job.

Less suited would be when you only have one or two employees that need the ability to expense work products or your organization is small.
Fast replies when dealing with support
Read Kyle Rininger's full review
Alexa Terry | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Abacus across the entire company. We used Abacus for logging all different types of expenses. From food, drink, travel, purchases made on behalf of the company, mail, cell phone reimbursement, as well as other stipends decided on by the company. Best part was you can really choose different categories when logging your expenses, so the finance team knows why you submitted, what you were doing, who was there (if it was a client meeting), etc. You can make Abacus as custom as you'd like by even imputing different conferences so every expense was logged under one event for, again, the finance team to keep track of how much is being spent per event (that's what I used Abacus for most often- travel expenses associated with conferences).
  • Speaks to your finance team for you
  • Easy to log vendors (geolocating as well!)
  • Can see the flow of approval from your team
  • I have had Abacus be a bit buggy before where it didn't save my expenses and I had to restart.
Great for a company when people are constantly traveling or having to submit expenses. You upload your receipt images, and it's quickly approved by your team. I am not sure of the pricing of Abacus (I was not the decision maker, just a user), but if it is expensive and people are not logging expenses often, I would imagine it would not have a great ROI for you.
I never even needed support... It was very easy to use and I never needed it explained to be for that reason, or had any issues. When bugs did happen, generally I just closed out the app, restarted it, and it worked just fine after that. Never needed to escalate beyond that.
Read Alexa Terry's full review
Jacob Price | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Abacus to manage all of our employee expenses. It's seamless and easy.
  • It makes reporting receipts really easy.
  • Recurring payments are insanely easy.
  • My CEO says the dashboard makes it convenient and easy to evaluate expenses quickly.
  • It has been perfect for me. No complaints.
Abacus simplifies a process that was arduous at my first company. I highly, highly recommend this software.
I have never contacted support, personally, because I haven't had any issues.
Read Jacob Price's full review
January 28, 2020
Every department at my company uses Abacus to track various expenses for reimbursement. It is nice to have a way to submit these requests and keep a record of past submissions as opposed to having to hang on to receipts. It also allows you to set up an approval process so that the correct people are notified.
  • Easy to upload pictures of receipts and attachments.
  • Mobile app is awesome! It is so easy to use.
  • I think this just has to do with how we use it but when go in to select a "category" or "event," it looks a little cluttered and can be hard to find what you are looking for.
  • It will not allow you to attach 2 items unless you are doing a split. This is not really an issue but there are times where I would like to include a screenshot with additional information and I have to put everything into one picture.
I have found Abacus to be super useful when we have employee incentives. It gives us the flexibility to go out and choose our own items and then submit for reimbursement. It is also nice when we travel - booking flights, hotels, vehicles - these can all be tracked under their own category.
While I have never had to contact Abacus directly, I have had to reach out to those who are over this product at my company and I have never had any problems with it! The only times I have had to ask for assistance was to set up my account initially and change my email associated with it. Both times were quick and seamless.
November 19, 2019
We use Abacus to manage all expense tracking and reimbursement within our organization. It allows us an easy and efficient way to report our business expenses and receive a quick and direct compensation. It works well because it automates the capture of expenses, and allows the approval and payment process to all happen within one system.
  • It allows you to organize expenses into specific trips and categories.
  • It allows our business to track expenses across organizational departments and understand how we are spending money.
  • It is aligned with our expense policy, so we know when expenses are within or outside our policy guidelines.
  • I wish that it could capture the details from a receipt, so I didn't have to fill them in.
It works well when I am on the road because I can quickly capture receipts and store them in the app. It takes the stress out of tracking my expenses and remembering to submit my reimbursements.
I think our organization likes using this tool, and it has good internal buy-in.
November 05, 2019
We use it for expenses and travel for all corporate employees and consultants. It is used to manage and approve all expenses and transfers by our managers, accounting department. The we approve on a weekly basis and transfer payments each week as well. It has revolutionized our expense process in a variety of ways.
  • No need to carry receipts.
  • Links with credit card.
  • Transfer of payment is easy.
  • Running totals within the app for incomplete expenses would be useful.
  • Delete receipts within the app.
  • I exclusively use the app, would love all of the same functionality as the web version.
I see other business travelers struggling with receipts and expenses. I often recommend Abacus. Many people are willing to get it themselves, even if their organization isn’t willing to yet.
Never needed support. The software is very intuitive and easy to use.
March 03, 2017
Jennifer Paxton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Abacus is being used for every employee within our organization. We have two administrators who approve all of the expenses and one payroll person who updates employees paychecks to reflect the reimbursement payments. We use abacus for employee reimbursements. Employees login and upload their receipts, then the administrator goes in and approves the expenses. After that our payroll person uses ADP to reimburse employees in their next payroll check.
  • It is very easy for employees to upload their expense receipts to abacus.
  • Abacus has an easy UI.
  • We haven't had any issues with their customer service team not responding when asked.
  • When you upload a receipt to abacus it would be great to port in the information from the receipt to the text fields.
  • It would be good to have a more automated way for Abacus to integrate in with other payroll systems.
  • It would be nice to have more levels of permissions, e.g. manager level, administer level and employee level.
Abacus has been great for our small startup of 37 employees, it has grown with our team since we were very small. Since we have not experienced it as a bigger company, I am not sure what the scalability would be like. If you're looking for a site with a cleaner look that is easy to use, Abacus is it. I haven't had to reach out to customer service yet because I haven't had any issues. If that isn't proof positive of how easy it is to use, I don't know what is!
Read Jennifer Paxton's full review
July 02, 2019
Abacus is used by our accounting/finance team and by our 30 full-time employees. It is a user-friendly expense management tool that syncs with our accounting software, Sage Intacct, allowing data to flow seamlessly on a day to day basis.
  • User-Friendly Interface: Reviews from our employees (ages ranging from 20s-70s) are all positive in regards to the ease of submitting an expense and getting reimbursement on Abacus
  • Timely Reimbursement: After final approval, money hits user accounts within 2 days
  • Approval routing: ability to set up multi-tier complex approval routes
  • Syncs with Sage Intacct: pushes entries on a day to day basis in to Intacct and it hits our GL accordingly
  • Abacus is competitively priced compared to the competition
  • Abacus utilizes "by expense" management. Getting rid of expense reports and batch reports (they do have an option where you can batch if need be)
  • Level of Detail: Data does not hit the end user in Sage Intacct ...it shows up as one accounts payable entry as "ABACUS." We would like it to hit the employee level for audit purposes
  • Customer Service does not allow phone calls. Only email
  • Corporate AMEX sync has experienced issues with syncing data properly and timely
Abacus is great for smaller companies that need to automate expense management. It is a very user-friendly system that makes it easy for all employees to understand without any training. We have heard of issues with their AMEX program. Companies that have tens or hundreds of corporate AMEX cards should likely explore other options
May 06, 2019
We use Abacus as an effective prospecting tool. Through their modeling, they are able to supply us with new customers on a regular basis. Segmentation and multiple modeling approaches allow us to test deeper to expand our reach, while maintaining the current success rate. In the world of catalog/mail-order, the quest for new customer names is a big challenge. Abacus helps us overcome that.
  • New prospecting opportunities
  • Existing customer modeling for suppression
  • Existing customer modeling for reactivation
  • Reporting is almost non-existent
  • Account reps seem overwhelmed with not enough time to dedicate to each client
  • Pro-active communication regarding new models, etc. could be improved
If you are a cataloger or involved in direct mail in any way, Abacus provides a great opportunity to discover new prospects. However, if you are an online-only retailer, this may not be the fit for you.
December 19, 2018
Abacus is used across the organization. The software allows us to efficiently report our business spending so that we can be reimbursed. This is by far the simplest, easiest software I have used to get reimbursed for company spending. We had previously used Expensify and I have found this to be a better experience.
  • Easy-to-use interface for submitting receipts.
  • Efficient back-end allows our finance department to quickly reimburse us.
  • I don't have any to report, this is a great software.
Perfect for reimbursing employees in an efficient manner. I'm not sure how well the software integrates with a company credit card but in some ways the ease of use means that uploading a receipt can be just as fast. There are no hold ups in getting repaid as long as your manager quickly approves the spending amount. I could not recommend this program more highly.

What is Emburse Abacus?

Emburse Abacus is presented by the vendor as a software solution that carries a promise to humanize work while delivering expense and corporate card solutions for smaller organizations.