Certify, by Emburse Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Tristan Dobbs | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 08, 2019

Certify is Certifiably great!

Certify is in use across the organisation as our expense reporting and travel booking system. Our management teams use it to track and approve expenses in a single system, report on expenditures, and make decisions based on those reports. Our users use it to book travel, research experiences across the team, and submit expense reports for reimbursement.
  • Integration with AmTrav or other travel booking systems. Certify has a tight integration with travel systems that makes it feel nearly like one cohesive tool.
  • Easy expense options. Use OCR on receipts, import from credit cards and merge items, approve and inquire about expenses. Track your submissions.
  • Easy UI. Friendly and easy to navigate without getting lost.
  • Mobile app. The mobile app is basically a web view of the mobile version of the page and isn't native. That experience could be much smoother.
  • Certify hasn't implemented SSO completely according to the SAML 2.0 protocol, so which IdP workflows work, SP is still broken. This makes it harder to take action from a link in an email as you always need to use the IdP workflow specifically.
Certify is excellent as a platform. It allows for integrations with common systems like Amtrav and can be used for more than simple expense reporting. It is excellent for the small to medium business market and handles most things very well.
Beware if integrations break as it is difficult to get support on the platform itself.
Read Tristan Dobbs's full review
Adam Neveu | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 27, 2019

Certify will help keep your team on track with expenses

Certify is being used across all teams in the US. Working at a startup, day to day needs can change on a dime. Certify makes it easy for tracking purchases, submitting expense reports in a timely manner, and with their mobile app, we no longer have to worry about losing a receipt.
  • Receipt auto-fills when I scan it. This saves me a ton a time while traveling, especially when I am in a rush and on the go.
  • You don't need to be connected to the internet when uploading receipts! After a busy trip, I can scan all my receipts on the plane and when I land and turn data back on the expenses will upload from my app to the cloud.
  • Adding and managing new users is easy. The admin tools are very diverse and customizable making it easy for a growing company to add and manage users in the system.
  • Certify can become slow on busy expense days, making it a longer process to upload receipts and create a report online while at my PC.
  • Sometimes the autofill is incorrect, this is hard to really fix though I would assume, so just be careful when auto-filling your receipts.
  • The app seems to load up a web browser on some occasion and I am not sure why.
Certify is great for growing companies and large organizations. The system on the backend is customizable making it easy for my team to use it. At larger companies, I can see that this solution is perfect for many enterprise accounts that need a diverse and scalable solution for their organization.
Read Adam Neveu's full review
Debbie SouthMitchell | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 23, 2019

Certify Does Expense Reporting Well

Our whole organization uses Certify to submit expense reports. It includes all types of expenses from automotive, mileage, training, etc. You can map the travel so it will auto-calculate mileage. There is a per diem wizard that has the ability to differentiate between cities/regions or countries. You can use multiple currencies and it will convert to your currency.
  • Per diem wizard: we send employees all over the world and allocate different spending limits based on average costs per destination.
  • Map it function: takes the ease of trying to guess at mileage.
  • The flow: approvals are automatically sent to the right person.
  • New users are puzzled when trying to fill in location or vendor— they're blank and they don't know what to do.
Works well for us—we're a global operation and many employees travel a lot. They like the system and the flexibility it offers.
Read Debbie SouthMitchell's full review
LaDarryl l.a. Hollingsworth | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 21, 2019

Use it anywhere!

Certify is used by the entire CRC organization to produce and process expense reports. Whether being used on the desktop or on a cell phone the program allows those that travel to log and organize their travel receipts with ease. I like the option to take photos of receipts and import them into your certify wallet on the spot. It really cuts down on the hassle of trying to keep up with a lot of paperwork.
  • I like the Certify App. It's fast and responsive.
  • I like that it is extremely user-friendly on both mobile devices and desktops.
  • I like that the app doesn't take up a lot of pf space on my phone.
  • Auto texts generated from receipts are sometimes incorrect. So that feature is not 100% dependable. I don't always have to change them but I do always have to check them.
  • No way to view past expense reports.
  • Certify auto-assigns categories to expenses that are not always correct. So that feature is not 100% dependable. I don't always have to change them but I do always have to check them.
Certify is perfect for fast-paced expense tracking. You can expense purchases while sitting in the airport waiting for your next flight or while at dinner while conversing with coworkers. It is extremely easy to use and takes little effort to understand.
Read LaDarryl l.a. Hollingsworth's full review
Michael Palecek | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 20, 2019

Expense reporting software

Our organization uses Certify to generate expense reports and submit them to the accounting department for reimbursement and to post the results into our general ledger for classification. The majority of our users travel quite a bit and use the mobile app. I use the software for computer and service purchases for the IT department supporting the company. Most of the expenses are done on a company credit card and are not directly reimbursed to the card holder, but used to verify monthly bills.
  • Upload receipts from computer/laptop.
  • See all expenses on a report and work with them.
  • Organize and read receipts from the receipt vault.
  • The automated reading of invoices from PDF is generally good, however, it is not always 100%. I do a fair number of purchases on Amazon and their PDF files are generally laid out very well and should be easy to classify from the data on it.
  • Some of the interface buttons are not clear on what they do, commands are hidden on pop out menus.
  • Creating a new expense report from a statement could use some work.
It is very easy to use and to get users trained and up to speed. I have used other software packages and Certify is very competitive in the market place. It is very easy to classify expenses, which is something I need to do regularly because I make purchases for all departments in the company.
Read Michael Palecek's full review
Sheila Garcia | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 31, 2019

Easy to use reporting app!

We currently use Certify for our Sales team to file their monthly expenses. It helps streamline the process, taking out excel sheets and adding in an easy to use online and mobile system. Being able to add expenses by taking a photo of the receipt and immediately adding to Certify is a big plus.
  • Mobile upload - piling up receipts to staple to reports and turn in can be cumbersome. Thanks to Certify's mobile app, our team can easily take photos of their receipt and upload it immediately after making a purchase. The info is saved in their report and they can submit easily when needed.
  • Departmentalizes expenses - easy to create expense categories to allow our accountant an easy understanding of what is being spent in each category.
  • ACH payment - while we don't currently use it, I believe the ability to add ACH payment through Certify became an option in 2018, and was one we wanted to see added and glad they did! Now we just need to activate it on our end.
  • When you forward an expense report to a supervisor or co-worker, the expense form is no longer available for us to view. Or at least not that I have found. I wish there was a place for old reviewed/approved expense reports would be saved for easy reference to the past reports.
The ease of adding receipts with photos through the mobile app is helpful in many ways! It lets you add as you go, and no more holding on to lots of paper receipts since it’s all stored digitally.

It was frustrating to submit an expense report for review but then not be able to access it again for reference, either as an employee or mid-tier reviewer.
Read Sheila Garcia's full review
February 27, 2020

Certify--Average

We use Certify for all of our expense reports/processing needs for Accounting and reimbursement. We have multiple executives in the field that use Certify to reconcile their company credit card and for personal reimbursement on mileage, marketing, etc. It makes it easier to submit receipts and have electronic copies each month.
  • Streamlined
  • Online accessible
  • Approval path
  • Splitting receipts can be cumbersome
  • Uploading receipts doesn't always work accurately.
  • Pulls expenses from previous months
Certify does well with being able to upload receipts, but it often will go onto the wrong expense. I use a date range to generate an expense report, and it will pull data from previous reports that are not applicable. Probably good for a bigger organization and nice to see it has approval paths.
January 31, 2020

I recommend using Certify.

Certify is used within my media company in every department, as most people generally have corporate expenses that require reimbursement. The business problem Certify addresses is that it provides an easy and efficient way to get reimbursement/money back to employees' bank accounts thanks to its smartphone app or website. This is the only way to be reimbursed for expenses at my company.
  • The app is easy to follow and straightforward. You'd be hard-pressed to make a mistake.
  • The app can auto-populate your entire receipt/reimbursement paper, which is very helpful and time-saving.
  • Certify never provided clear instructions to me when I first downloaded it as to how exactly to process expenses. I find to figure it out myself through intuition and scrolling around.
  • The app itself, while easy to follow, isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing, as weird as that may sound. It kind of looks like what an app would look like in 2010 as opposed to 2020.
Certify is a great tool to track your expenses and submit them to your managers. I never had an issue with using the app, whether I was submitting a small lunch expense or dozens of expenses from a week-long work trip. It's suited to every employee level and status. I can't think of a scenario where using Certify wouldn't be appropriate. Perhaps if you forgot to do a lot of your expenses and you have a massive backlog of them.
January 07, 2020

Effective expense management tool with a bit of an awkward interface

Certify is used throughout all departments of my organization to track travel expenses, company credit card charges, and reimbursement requests. It helps us to manage each of these accounting needs with relative efficiency.
  • Store receipts at the time of purchase.
  • Submit expense reports for review.
  • Interface is not intuitive compared to major competitors.
Certify is not bad software by any means - it does everything it claims to do. Users can save receipts, sync them to automatically imported expenses, track travel expenditures, and submit expense reports. Having all of those features in one place is helpful in accounting efficiency. However, having switched to this platform from Expensify, I would say that Certify has a significantly greater learning curve. The workflow is not intuitive and requires training videos or experimentation before new users can get the hang of it.
November 20, 2019

Expense reports are a breeze with Certify!

We use Certify to manage our expense reports. Everyone across the whole organization uses it including those with a company card and those who are reimbursed to their personal accounts. Before Certify, I taped expenses to a sheet of paper and sent it to our finance department, so this makes everything more streamlined and accountable.
  • Certify matches expenses with receipts that are uploaded automatically.
  • It's very easy to upload receipts to Certify through multiple ways including uploading from a computer or the mobile app and sending directly from email.
  • Most often, the categories that Certify auto-assigns to expenses are incorrect, so I have to always change them.
Certify is well suited for situations when employees must compile monthly expense reports that need to be submitted to at least one person to approve them. It is also well suited for someone who has a lot of receipts, but doesn't want to carry around the paper copy. Certify makes it easy to snap a photo and then get rid of the receipt.
January 18, 2020

A good way to track your expenses on the go!

We use Certify to log our expenses for travel, incentives, and team activities.
  • Upload receipts.
  • Calculate amount owed.
  • Mobile app.
  • Switching between currencies.
Great for sales representatives that are traveling. It gives you the ability to easily create expense reports and follow the approval process to be paid out.
January 11, 2020

A great application for businesses big and small

Certify is being used by our entire organization. This allows for the standardization of expense reimbursement across multiple ERP systems. It also allows us to have a central repository for record-keeping purposes.
  • It's easy to use, and requires little user training and intervention.
  • It allows for great flexibility in the general ledger setup.
  • I don't have any real complaints. Customer service is great and Certify is always adding functionality.
Certify is well suited to use across multiple organizations. It's low cost and high functionality.
Linda Lavella | TrustRadius Reviewer

Happy with Certify!

At Enzo, we use Certify for many departments at our location and at our European locations. It has simplified T&E submission for the users and organized the submission for the reviewers. Questions that come up during review by managers are easily resolved with emails within Certify. Certify has the ability to require certain information in regards to an expense, where the expense cannot be submitted without the required detail.
  • Certify has the tools to calculate mileage reimbursement from one location to another. The calculation is based on the amount that you want to reimburse per mile. Using this tool within Certify is much easier and quicker than having to go on a "MapQuest" type website to come up with this information.
  • A variety of reports are available in Certify to help track expenses by department, individuals or type of expense. Customized reports can also be added to Certify to provide data on "not so ordinary" expenditures.
  • I am not a user on Certify, only an administrator, but I have been told by many users how easy it is to use Certify. It was very much welcomed by our users when we started using Certify about 5 years ago.
  • When approving an expense, a manager has to approve it and submit it and a few times the manager approved it and never submitted it, thinking it was done.
  • We use the delegation tool that allows a manager to have another individual go into Certify and review and approve expenses for him. I find this feature a little difficult to find for setting this up and for the user to find. I have had to look it up in the support section of Certify.
  • On the screen when setting up a new user, a manager is set up to approve and there are two other fields that approvers can be added, a second approver and AP rep. When the second approver box is not populated, the expense keeps going back to the first approver. I have to put the AP Rep in as 2nd approver and AP approval.
Certify is well suited for adding many departments and different expense categories within each department. I have also used the foreign currency tool that seems to work well (no complaints from users). I very much like the mileage calculation tool. At Enzo, we have not yet used the tool to allow for upload to the GL, for which I am looking forward to adding at some time. I am happy with the availability of reports and the option to add customized reports. One of the problems encountered is when a 2nd approver is not added to an employee's set up and the expense report does not seem to circulate properly unless I add a 2nd approver.
Read Linda Lavella's full review
FRANCISCO OLIVEIRA | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 21, 2019

Certify: Solid platform with good customer service.

It is used as needed across the entire organization and its affiliates. We successfully use Certify for both, its intended purpose of expense report reconciliation, as well as to better control the flow of cash and payments to and from our subsidiaries. We recently also began to test using Certify for pre-authorizing quotes and job estimates.
  • Organization & ease of view.
  • Easy, user-friendly interface.
  • Good customer service.
  • The option to have the edit screen already open as you move from one transaction line to the next.
  • More customization options (at least to the administrator).
  • More comprehensive reporting.
The flexibility of using mobile and desktop platforms, as well as the ability to upload receipts and invoices from different sources in a variety of methods. So far, it has been suitable for us for its intended purpose, as well as an alternative method of inter-company control. So far I can't think of a thing that the system hasn't been suited for, except the cost-benefit of the add on services of invoices and travel not making financial sense to us.
Read FRANCISCO OLIVEIRA's full review
Brad Nicholson | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 17, 2019

Certify for Outsourced professionals

I perform outsourced accounting and CFO services. I have chosen Certify for two organizations and implemented it in both companies.
  • Very easy to use.
  • Pulls credit card charges in.
  • Very good mobile device.
  • Nice interface with Spectrum.
  • Setting up the credit card interface took some time, but support eventually got it working.
Very well suited if you want to charge to a job/project because you can add fields to work with your accounting system.
Read Brad Nicholson's full review
Debbie Cochran | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 12, 2019

Certify is awesome!

We track employee expenses and mileage. It simplifies the entire process from entering expenses with receipts to the manager approval level in an easy to use mobile app or desktop. Accounting is able to simply download transactions into the accounting software rather than manually entering. Reports are easy to use.
  • Easily upload pictures of receipts and upload into employee wallet.
  • Mileage is easily tracked for employees using a map and automatically calculates rate so that the employee doesn't have to calculate and eases errors.
  • Multiple reports are readily available for manager review.
  • Sometimes when downloading into accounting software the classes are input incorrectly. I'm not sure that this is a Certify problem or an accounting software issue.
Certify is well suited for companies with an outside sales force; eliminates the need for paper expense reports.
Read Debbie Cochran's full review
Barbara coy | TrustRadius Reviewer

Highly Recommend Certify

It is being used by our senior and branch managers; we have 11 branches, to track expenses and all receipts. It helps to have all the receipts in 1 area, and we can mark it with a code if receipts are missing.
  • Certify is linked with our specific business credit card
  • The support team responds very quickly to answer any questions, etc
  • Certify is very user-friendly
  • We have asked Certify for improvements through the years and they have responded very well. At this time I do not see an area for improvement.
Linking to our credit card is very helpful to match up receipts with charges, along with making sure the right receipt is attached. We have a list of account codes that our employees can choose from to match their budget expenses. It is very easy to add or subtract codes, etc. Each monthly Certify report must balance with the credit card statement.
Read Barbara coy's full review
Jennifer McBride, CMA | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 10, 2019

Certify solved problems and is user friendly and efficient

We use it as our expense report solution for company issued credit cards. It addresses three main issues for us: 1. We have had an initiative to go paperless payment processing as much as possible and Certify has helped us do that. We no longer deal with paper expense reports and individual paper receipts. 2. Internal control. We are able to delegate responsibility for approvals via the approval workflow features. Finance is also able to check in and monitor progress as well as comment on receipts and control coding choices available to the users.3. It also streamlined our monthly close process. Once it was adopted by all of our users, the time it takes to process for both the users and the accounting department is much lower and it is a more efficient process for everyone. It removed a significant barrier to accounting commencing with month end close.
  • Ease of uploading receipts
  • Approval workflow is visible
  • Variety of reports available
  • I would like to see an administrator dash board with easy identification of where the users are in the report preparation process. Perhaps there is a report for this.
I find that Certify is well suited for companies who have credit cards issued to users.
Read Jennifer McBride, CMA's full review
Randal Hauck | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 10, 2019

Certify use on a daily basis

All departments use Certify. The employees that have company credit cards are required to submit weekly expense reports. Certify makes it easy to review the expenses and corresponding receipts, and then sync to QuickBooks.
  • We have a constant need to keep track of job costing for our various projects. With Certify the process of getting the expenses into our accounting program is quick and easy. The "flags" within Certify for expenses that do not meet our requirements are easy to spot and correct.
  • Once an expense report has been approved it would be helpful if someone in our company had the ability to "un-approve" it if an error is noted and needs to be corrected. At this time a call to Certify is required to un-approve the report.
For us, with 15 - 20 users that need to submit expense reports it works great. It might be a little bit of "too much" for a company with just one or two employees. However, they should definitely consider it as their company grows.
Read Randal Hauck's full review
Shari Roberts | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 10, 2019

Certify is a win-win for accounting and employees both!

It is being used throughout our company for processing expense reports for employees who work outside of our office and for employees with company credit cards.
  • Ease of using the software.
  • Ability to upload receipts using a cell phone.
  • Ability to review and process expense reports effectively.
  • Limiting a dollar amount for specific categories. When an expense can only be charged to that category if it exceeds a set limit.
When you have employees who work in other cities and states, Certify is a great way to have expense reports submitted for approval and processing. The ease of taking a photo of a receipt is very helpful with missing receipts.
Read Shari Roberts's full review
Donna Abrunzo | TrustRadius Reviewer

Certify Delivers

Certify if being used across the organization for electronic expense reporting.
  • Ease of use.
  • Customer support.
  • Proactive account reps.
  • I don't have suggestions for improvements right now.
Certify is well suited for online expense reporting. It's innovative and diverse.
Read Donna Abrunzo's full review
Kelly Lesko | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 10, 2019

Great time saver for accounting!

We use certify to reimburse employees for expenses and it is used by the entire firm.
  • Being able to read, and insert receipt information is helpful.
  • The payout to the employee is quick and mostly hands off.
  • This system has saved me hours of time because it is so easy to use.
  • When syncing to QuickBooks, enough information isn't transferred over.
  • My employees tell me the system doesn't always read the receipts correctly and the information needs to be redone.
  • Employees have told me the credit card upload doesn't work as cleanly as they had expected.
This system has changed the way accounting does expense reports, from manual to electronic, and it has saved hours of time. Because we were manual, some employees are having issues with having to put in so much manual information.
Read Kelly Lesko's full review
Laura Berle | TrustRadius Reviewer

Certainly simple to use!

It is being utilized across the entire organization, from superintendents in the field to Project Managers and beyond.
  • Take a photo of the receipt and it is automatically saved
  • Because of the upload, paper receipts no longer need to be saved
  • It syncs really well into the monthly expense report so when it’s time to reconcile credit card transactions it’s all there
  • Capability to correct the transactions (which account, which project, $ amount etc.) works great
  • I use an iPad and when I try to touch things to edit they are placed a little too close to each other
  • When I do touch to edit, it should pull up in front of me. I didn’t realize that I had to arrow down to an item to continue to edit
In the field, it is a great tool because I can immediately take a photo of the receipt and not have to keep track of paper, which I always seem to lose or ruin!
Read Laura Berle's full review
April 20, 2019

Certify makes expense reporting easy peasy lemon squeezy!

We use Certify throughout our organization (we used Excel spreadsheets prior to Certify). Formula's would get changed or simply deleted which would cause various errors. Additionally, we would never have the detail of the individual expenses in our accounting software. Certify was a great addition. We now have detail flowing through to Sage 100 and I can run various analytics in Certify to see our level of spend.
  • Customer service/support: They have an incredible team. We are fans of the chat option and 99.9% of the time our issues are solved within a 5-minute window.
  • Listening to customers: they are always looking for ways to improve their product. They have free conferences sprinkled around various cities. They are worth trending. They provide "what's new in Certify" as well as round-table discussions specifically addressing how their customers are using the product and what they have learned along the way.
  • Keeping their product up to date: Certify takes back various suggestions from the conference to enhance their product. I have been at every conference they have had and have actually seen customer suggestions get implemented into the program.
  • Reporting: I would like to see more chart availability from the program. We include various data points from Certify in our monthly financial statement package. Currently, we export data from the program and create our own pivot tables to create charts.
  • Dashboard feature: It would be nice to be able to use the data for a specific date and then be able to print that information.
  • Can't think of another one. As stated before, they listen to their customers so prior issues have been addressed and implemented.
It fits our organization very well. As stated before we were on the Excel spreadsheet method which did not translate into usable data in our accounting software. All of our employees find it easy to use and the accounting team is able to dive into data for both current and prior reports when questions arise. This has been a great company addition. Happy with our selection!
April 18, 2019

Certify helps streamlined expense reporting and reimbursement

Our outside salespeople use Certify to submit monthly expense reports for reimbursement. We have about 25 persons using Certify. They typically incur mileage, travel expenses, and some entertaining expenses. Prior to using Certify, we were using paper reports and attaching original receipts to each monthly reimbursement submission. Keeping up with all that paper was cumbersome.
  • Direct deposit reimbursements are very fast. Our users get their funds very quickly.
  • Reporting capabilities within Certify are excellent. Many reports are available and can be created in Excel format for further manipulation when necessary.
  • Support, when needed, has been very good. The knowledgebase is helpful and phone support is available and responsive.
  • The ability to add a receipt after a report has been submitted would be helpful. This would simplify processing as opposed to disapproving the report and sending it back to the user for correction and re-submission.
  • Though not a fault of Certify, our users drive multiple destinations every day, rather than occasional trips from city A to city B. Therefore, capturing mileage is a time-consuming process for our users.
Certify works well for organizations where the same group of employees incurs expenses on a regular basis. It would not be best for situations where various employees incur expenses on a less consistent basis, due to the effort involved in setting up accounts for those employees and training them on the process.

About Certify, by Emburse

Certify is a web-based travel, invoice, and expense management software provider for companies of all sizes. Certify helps make expense reporting easier with its automated expense report creation and mobile receipt capture, promises the vendor. Employees, managers and accountants can create, submit and approve expense reports, check the status of expense reports and access reports on demand.

Certify now offers integrated AP invoice management and payments. Certify offers a broad range of integrations, travel booking, live support for all users, and much more.

Certify, by Emburse Features

Has featureSpend Control
Has featureWorkflow Management

Certify, by Emburse Screenshots

Certify, by Emburse Integrations

Xero, NetSuite, Authorize.Net, Sage Intacct, QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, SAP Financial Statement Insights, Stripe, PayPal Payments, Braintree, Workato, Salesforce, Sage ERP, Microsoft Dynamics 365 (formerly Microsoft Dynamics CRM), Micosoft Excel

Certify, by Emburse Competitors