- As a nonprofit organization, we need the ability to automate email series for new subscribers and donors to further educate them on our mission, thank them for their support, and keep them engaged. Emma’s automated email tools make this so easy to set up.
- We love how simple Emma makes creating e-blasts, as well as building and saving templates for future use.
- Emma’s resources are incredible. They’ve taken the time to compile brilliant guides on everything you could possibly wonder about email marketing.
- We have struggled with Salesforce integration and would love to see this ironed out.
- The mobile and desktop views differ greatly on some of our templates, making it challenging to craft a design that works across all platforms.
- While we love Emma’s simplicity, it would be nice to have more customization options at our fingertips.
- Automates the process and allows for a workflow that can bring a personality to your brand while still being efficient in its delivery.
- The analytics you receive after sending an email is unlike anything I've had before in my precious email marketing solutions.
- A/B testing has been a huge advantage for us when it comes to design and subject lines because we are understanding what our customers gravitate towards which has improved our open rates.
- When we have had some issues with our lists that we have imported, that support team's emails are always all jumbled and confusing. Not being able to just to call and talk it over is a huge disadvantage.
- When we have a new team member getting trained on Emma, we have to pay Emma again to do a training -- our past solutions allowed us a rep since we already pay for the service that was available for new team member training. Instead, we just do the training ourselves but often miss new updates since we don't have someone informing us of better ways of using the product.
- Often feel a bit left alone to figure out everything. The onboarding process was super extensive and awesome, but the person that did that process has now left our company and we wish we could do that again, but it would cost us more money even though we pay for the product.
- It's easy to add users. You can either upload an Excel spreadsheet or add them individually. Some platforms I've used in the past make it difficult to add and update users. Emma is the best I've used so far for this function.
- Adding content is very user friendly. It's basically click and go which means I can have our newsletter ready in no time.
- The up-to-date dashboard is a great overview of where your campaigns stand and also let you know where you rank in the larger community. It's nice to have a comparison to see how your campaign are doing.
- I'd like to be able to remove a user instead of just opting them out. This would be useful when people leave a company to keep our numbers in check and accurate.
- Education: I love the webinars and emails I get with tips and tricks on how to improve my emails.
- Support: All of my experiences have been very positive when contacting Emma with questions or issues I am having with an email.
- Reporting: I love the metrics that it shows and that you can save the results very easily to keep record.
- I wish there were more template options for more unique designs before having to go HTML.
- Attractive designs and flexible templates
- Ability to include call to action buttons, links to Google Forms, and connect with Eventbrite
- Excellent at maintaining mailing lists, segments, and groups
- Clear, helpful, and interesting metrics about campaigns that have been sent and who in your audience has opened or interacted with what links
- Easy to use interface.
- Allows for decent email template customization.
- Fairly good analytics after email campaigns sent.
- Fairly basic interface.
- Hard to use for A B testing.
- Not quite as complex as more advanced tools out there.
- Drag and Drop Interface - I love the drag-and-drop interface used to design campaigns. It makes it easy for creative types to get the look they want, and it helps less technically and aesthetically adept users to create campaigns that still look great. After using both Constant Contact and MailChimp, I think Emma comes out on top in terms of ease of template design.
- Master Admin Account - Having a master admin account controlled by one person allows us to deploy brand assets to each sub-account, and we're also able to push out templates for users who aren't ready or don't have the time to design their own.
- Dynamic Content - Dynamic content has proven so useful to us, especially in our Admissions Office. Making it possible for regular users to easily create emails using dynamic content is a VERY strong feature that, in my experience, is unique to Emma.
- Great Tutorials - Emma does a great job taking care of its users. The support folks are always kind and helpful, but Emma publishes an array of tutorials and resources to help with just about anything its users encounter, from how to use custom merge fields to advice on creating the best campaigns.
- One room-for-improvement area I've encountered is related to custom template design. In addition to "locking" certain portions of templates our master admin account pushes out, from a branding perspective, I'd like to "lock" certain font styles for use (or not) in my templates. I talked with Emma's support team about this, and it seemed like something that might be possible in the future.
- Sometimes I can't remember where to find the Image and Document assets, because you have to be in a certain tab to see their links as an option. I'm not sure what the solution for this is, but not having those as easily accessible as most everything else has been a pain point. (Not a big one, just an inconvenience sometimes.)
- Great email design tool.
- Nice interface for agencies looking to help clients manage email marketing.
- Easy billing for agencies to bill clients for the software without having to manage the process themselves.
- There are small areas for them to improve, but nothing I can think of that's particularly alarming. It's the same for every software company worth it's weight :)
- Drag and drop interface - This makes it easy for our stores to create their own custom emails.
- Configurable fields - We can set images or text boxes as customizable. Sub accounts then just click on that textbox to customize it. It's very easy to use. And we can have default text if they send the email without customizing.
- Great organizational structure - We can manage all our sub accounts and add templates all from Emma's Org interface. No need to reach out to support for adding users or adding templates.
- Setup of users - We used to be able to setup a user and send them our own welcome email. Emma has since set up the ability to add users where they send the welcome email. It's a great new feature, but it doesn't always work. We've had some users who never receive these emails and then we need to reach out to support anyway.
- The code to set up a configurable email is cumbersome. It's great that it is so customizable, but there is a learning curve.
- Ease of resending newsletters to non-openers. This is something I had to figure out how to do on my own but it was surprisingly simple.
- Drag and drop functionality. I've showed coworkers how to recreate the newsletters in my absence easily.
- Dashboard view showing quick metrics like open rate/click rate/number of subscribers is great, but I especially like the click map that shows where on the newsletter our subscribers are clicking.
- Audience management can feel clunky, and not as straightforward.
- Would like to be able to drag and drop elements as a group as opposed to just individually, which can be tedious when rearranging content.
- Would like to be able to group newsletter types together instead of all in our account being lumped together. Not sure if this is an option I just haven't found yet.
Emma Review: "A sophisticated email marketing platform for our clients. - Plus the people are great!"
- First and foremost Emma practices what they preach and sends awesome email marketing. They are also extremely personable and helpful and are always available to answer questions and offer strategic advice.
- The software is intuitive and easy to use.
- The software provides sophisticated options for those ready to go beyond basic email marketing.
- This is tiny, but the undo feature doesn't work in the editor which is pesky at times.
- I'd like to see styles (on the editor drop down) added when getting custom templates.
- I'd love to see the addition of conversations added to the software. Right now I manually add replies to emails to a custom field on the contact's record to keep track of that qualitative data.
When I used it at Apperson, it was our main marketing email platform. We would send all of our marketing-based emails through this platform and it was very easy-to-use and affordable.
When I came to Teacher Created Materials, I introduced the team to Emma and we made the switch. We initially just used it as a marketing email platform, but we now have Emma Plus, so we are able to use the automation features for trigger emails, segmentation, and dynamic content.
- Contact Management
- Template emails
- In the trigger features, it would be really nice if a trigger could be someone who does not open or does open the FIRST email. This feature is available on the second and third emails, but we really want to send follow up to the people who opened or did not open the first email as well. This is a major feature that other automation companies have, and almost prevented us from not going with Emma.
- They help with ease of template planning for emails.
- They help us manage our email list.
- Their customer service is very sweet and helpful.
- We would love to be able to use our own fonts.
- Wish I could do it through an app on my phone!
- Reporting was clear.
- I liked that I could quickly and simply build surveys.
- Sending email tests was easy.
- The list functionality, especially between groups and sub-groups, was really hard to use and confusing.
- It took a lot of practice to use the email builder; the icons were too bulky and often overlapped.
- I had previously used HubSpot at another company and just preferred that to Emma.
- Extremely user friendly.
- Email templates can be customized, it's easy to adjust colors, fonts, margins, photo sizes, etc.
- Easy to segment lists and add or delete emails.
- Works best for text, so it's a little harder to incorporate lots of visual elements.
- Can't embed videos or gifs.
- No way to streamline importing new emails from our database.
- Emma's capabilities, services and integrations are the most thorough I have seen in this industry.
- Their Resources section is top-notch creatively and they are quite generous, probably the most generous thought leaders in the industry across the nation.
- Great pricing structure. Economical and helpful to my very small client base.
- Just a little bit with crashing. It's occurred twice in the last month.
- Great templates
- Easy to use
- Emma's functionality is somewhat different than other email platforms so it can take a little while to get use to and know how to set it up. I recommend reaching out to a customer service rep at Emma with any questions as they are super helpful.
This is the best white label option we've found. So if you are an agency looking to provide a white labeled email management system to your clients, I could not recommend Emma more highly. The pricing structure is based on total number of contacts rather than number of contacts for individual clients. So you do not pay based on the number of clients you have, it's just based on the number of total contacts for all clients together. Pricing is the most fair that I've found.
As a marketer, this tool is easy to use and straightforward. You should have no issues using the tool if you don't have crazy technical skills. Whether you're looking to send individual emails or set up workflows or both, this tool will help you do that.
Emma: "Beautiful, easy-to-use email marketing tool but does not integrate with Salesforce in a functional way"
- Beautiful templates and easy to customize for my own needs
- Easy to insert my own images and can store a large library of them to use
- Response tracking is well laid out and clear
- I like the UI a lot ever since a recent update, it's very clean and the email builder is easier to use
- One of the main reasons we got the solution is that we were told it would integrate with our CRM tool, Salesforce. Well it does "integrate" technically, but functionally is almost useless. You can't see results at the account level and there's no way our Sales team is going to click into every single contact just to see if they were contacted via Emma. This has been disappointing for us and we felt mislead from the sales process.
- Everything moves slowly in Emma, sometimes painfully slow. Even just switching between tabs (ex. campaigns to audience) can take a long time to load. Every once in a while it gets a bit better but the average speed is too slow for my liking and makes me frustrated.
- More in depth formatting tools. I hate that I can't control the paragraph/line spacing very well (I CAN adjust spacing between lines up to a point but not between paragraphs)
- Support is terrible. I hate that the only support is to ask a question on the forum publicly and wait for an answer. I would like the ability to live chat with someone about my problem or at the very least, email my support question and get it answered without having to type out a public question and wait around.
- Variety of template options
- Easy to navigate website
- Platform that integrates emails and database management
- Slow and unresponsive customer service
- Repetitive technology issues with certain services on the site
- Lack of shortcuts between pages
- Has a very good and easy set up to send emails in mass
- Easy to use to insert text boxes, photos and links
- Easy to import lists to send message to fans and clients
- When designing a message it seems to save too frequently and has caused problems with that
Emma Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Emma Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Emma Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android|