Epic offers a suite of medical practice management and EHR software.
- Coding (5)9.494%
- Patient billing (5)9.494%
- Rule-based scheduling (5)9.494%
- Calendar interface (5)8.383%
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
38 people also want pricing
Alora Home Health Software helps manage all aspects of a home health care agency, including the clinical, operational, and financial components. The solution is capable of billing all payers, including, Medicare, Medicaid/Waiver, Managed Care, Medicare Advantage, Commercial Insurance, VA, and…
TheraNest Professional is a mental health and therapy notes software from Therapy Brands, that is designed to help psychologists, psychotherapists, social workers and others in mental health manage and grow their practices and organizations. From health records, to notes, to payment processing,…
Managing the entire revenue cycle to help improve collection rates
- 8.9Real-time eligibility verification(4) Ratings
The software checks a patient’s insurance and benefits eligibility and tracks co-pay and deductible information.
- 9.3Claims management(4) Ratings
This includes claim scrubbing, electronic claim submission, and automated claim tracking.
- 9.4Coding(5) Ratings
The software helps users find the correct codes – whether ICD-9 or ICD-10 – for claims.
- 9.4Patient billing(5) Ratings
The software can generate statements, send them to patients via mail or email, and process payments.
- 9.2Financial Reporting(4) Ratings
Reports and dashboards allow users to understand the financial health of a practice.
Managing patient scheduling, appointment reminders, and patient check-in
- 9.4Rule-based scheduling(5) Ratings
The software sets schedules based on a set of rules or criteria that account for various institutional and individual needs.
- 8.6Automated appointment reminders(4) Ratings
Patients receive automated reminders via text, phone or email in advance of appointments to help decrease the number of no-shows.
- 8.9Automated patient check-in(3) Ratings
The software streamlines the check-in process, with features like co-pay notification, digital ID photos, insurance card scanning, waiting time updates, and self-check-in kiosks.
- 8.6Multi-location support(4) Ratings
The software can coordinate scheduling across multiple locations, facilities or practitioners.
- 8.3Calendar interface(5) Ratings
The software provides a user-friendly calendar from which users can track and schedule appointments.
Digital charting of a patient’s medical and treatment history
- 9.2Charting / document management(5) Ratings
Practitioners can easily create a patient record, take notes, update patient information, and understand a patient’s history at a glance.
- 9.5Templates(5) Ratings
The EMR software includes pre-built and customizable templates to allow for easy, standardized organization of clinical data and notes.
- 9.4Patient portal(5) Ratings
Patients can access important personal health information, such as medications, allergies and lab results, online through a secure website.
- 8.7Mobile/tablet support(5) Ratings
The software is accessible via mobile or tablet devices.
- 8.6Fax integration(3) Ratings
This facilitates the sharing of information with other providers, and storing and distribution of documents.
- 8.2Integration with other EMR and PM systems(5) Ratings
The software can integrate with EMR and PM software to allow practitioners to coordinate care with other providers such as hospitals or specialists.
- 9.9Workflow automation(3) Ratings
The software allows practitioners to take action directly from a patient’s chart, such as prescribing a medication, ordering a lab test, or requesting a follow-up appointment.
- 9.4Speech recognition(3) Ratings
The software integrates with the speech-recognition capabilities of Dragon software, allowing practitioners to take notes verbally.
- 8.7Customization(5) Ratings
Users can tailor the software to best fit their practices or discipline, through features like custom fields, medical forms, chart templates, and/or macro buttons.
- 9.7E-prescribing(5) Ratings
Practitioners can write and send prescriptions electronically, as well as approve or deny renewal requests.
This component helps an organization minimize security risks and respect data privacy.
- 9.2HIPAA compliance(5) Ratings
The software helps providers comply with the privacy standards established by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- 9.2Role-based permission levels(5) Ratings
Users have different permission levels based on their roles to protect patient privacy.
- 9.2Data backups and redundancy(5) Ratings
The software helps ensure against data loss.
- 9.4Local mode / networking failsafe(5) Ratings
The software provides a way to ensure that network or connectivity issues are not a work-stopping event.
The software helps manage employee workflows at scale.
- 8.7Task tracking(5) Ratings
Users can monitor staff productivity and accountability.
- 8.9Specialty-specific workflows(5) Ratings
The software accounts for different workflow options based on discipline or specialty.
- 8.9Multi-office / multi-physician capabilities(5) Ratings
The software can manage and coordinate multi-office or multi-physician instances.
- Tech Details
- Accessing required patient info from old health records while creating note in the EHR for current visit.
- Users can easily create and pull dot phrases in the notes which comes handy while working on the note.
- High security measures to take care of protected health information and HIPAA compliance.
- It's a heavy software that requires high-end system configuration for smooth functionality. Because of this reason, it can make your system slow.
- Users get disconnected and need to re-login from beginning with slightest internet fluctuation.
- There is a room for improvement in the Support functionality. It's little tricky to reach out to them through Skype due to lack of clear instructions. Introduction of chat support can be considered.
- Good info on pharmaceutical choices.
- Consistency between screens.
- Ability to share between locations is a plus.
- Difficult to find what you need.
- Almost impossible to correct mistakes.
- Multiple screens must be navigated to get to what you want.
- There are doctors' notes templates with prepopulated fields in them. This saves a lot of time.
- Epic sends medication orders to pharmacies electronically so that we do not have to call. This saves a lot of time.
- Epic has a Secure Chat feature via which we can send HIPAA protected messages to any employee with the patient's name and record attached.
- It has a PDMP link. We can look up what controlled medications such as opiates patients have been prescribed and by whom.
- It links to MyChart, which is a platform via which patients can look up their own information without them having to call the doctors. This saves a lot of time.
- It is difficult to delete erroneously created encounters or patient visits.
- Most of my patients are outpatient, and it is difficult to find how to create a work excuse or any other letter on a hospital template.
- It is difficult to find patient information to print regarding their illnesses - such as dementia, healthy eating, weight loss. For those, I go to UpToDate.
- Updated technology. Epic consistently stays up to date and advances their technology and features.
- Shortcuts, templates, and smart phrases help to make using the software easier and faster with accuracy.
- Intuitive user interface. Epic has put a lot of thought into the design and function of the software and has ensured that it is user friendly.
- Epic can be difficult to navigate as a beginner because there are so many features. It is best to learn the basics before trying to use the advanced tools.
- Interdisciplinary Communication: The care of patients improves when you are able to have the entire care team communicate with each other. Epic makes this process very easy by utilizing one chart for all physicians in the organizations. Care decisions and patient safety are greatly improved by seeing past decision making processes.
- Patient Communication: With features like MyChart and Care Everywhere, Epic gives patients a great deal of control over their information. MyChart acts like a patient portal allowing them to see what their providers have to say, see lab results, make payments, and share information with their doctor all from a mobile device or computer. Having features like this allow the patient to take part in their care.
- Improves Claim Efficiency: The way that Epic handles insurance claims is incredible. Claims are correct and double checked before they are sent to the insurance companies. This in turn, reduces the number of denials and improves the speed of payments.
- Visual Updates: While Epic is constantly improving the user experience, there are a few features that still need a design refresh. While this does not effect functionality, it does have an impact on user perception.
- Ordering: While placing an order for a physician is very easy, a few changes to the workflow could improve the experience for physicians.
- Consistent upgrade cadence.
- Breadth of capabilities.
- Support cases can be slow to resolve issues.
- Dedicated support staff turnover every year.