https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Kd/0M/798HBKWAN741.JPEGEpiserver is on its way up!As a partner, we often recommend Episerver to our clients or prospects. I've been involved with numerous large scale implementations to date.,Ease of use for content editors Speed to market (easier to implement than many other alternative platforms) Decent extensibility,Documentation quality is inconsistent. Ranges from detailed to non-existent, depending on the topic. Publishing between multiple environments requires some nasty workarounds. Export/import tool doesn't work great. Anonymous project preview had to be custom built. Etc. Caching is simple to use with the out of the box set up, but customizing/extending it can be tricky.,8,Clients pay us to implement it, so our ROI certainly benefits!,Sitecore Web Content Management,Developer,More than 10,000 pagesI like it, I recommend it, I look forward to what more Episerver will do!I have worked with Episerver CMS for the past 2.5 years as my primary function as a software engineer and can honestly say I have been very satisfied with it overall. There are a few minor complaints that I will get to. But I find that compared to its other competitors it is architected very well. And really there's not much to critique there, other than a few nuances that can be worked around. However, I do feel that from the content editor section visually could use some work. The styles look very outdated and I think this failure in presentation is holding back some of the company's growth. I have also experienced some performance issues occasionally but this could have been related to other non-architectural reasons. Overall I am very pleased with EPiServer and would recommend it over anything else I've worked with in the market right now.,Well-architected Useful content structure A blank canvas allowing total development freedom,Outdated style/theme of content editor Potential performance issues (possibly related to legacy framework),10,The ROI has been good... haven't heard complaints from clients Difficulty is in finding talent that is versed on the platform,,Sitecore Web Content Management, CrownPeak Web Content Management,Developer,1,000-10,000 pagesEPiServer - Innovative Web Content Management PlatformFor those clients that we've worked with, EPiServer is primarily being leveraged by an organization's Communication/Marketing Department as owners of the system (and then supported by Experis or internal IT staff). The immediate pain points that it has been able to address is the ability to manage the publication of content and new pages without having to rely on other resources bandwidth for assistance.,Innovation - EPiServer is constantly looking at ways to improve their product and partner with organizations that can develop add-ons to improve the overall features of the core platform. For Example: SilverPop (marketing automation) and Celum (digital asset management). Content Management - It may seem obvious that a WCM product should manage content/reuse well; but, let's be honest, not all products do what they claim to do well. In this case, EPiServer understands the core functionality and has created product that is intuitive and exceeds customer expectations in this area. Previews - EPiServer has built-in templates (emulators) that allow you to easily confirm how your content is going to be displayed on a variety of devices before you publish your content. This is advantageous as it eliminates the guess work and need to redo content (or even code) after you've gone to production because you weren't able to thoroughly test it before hand.,Translations - When we first started to work with the product, the platform was missing the basic ability to export/import XLIFF for translation companies to leverage; and, it relied on developers that had created an Open Source module called "Translate X". The module was buggy, version specific and had little to no documentation. Since then, EPiServer has partnered with other software/translation companies (IE: Translations.com) to improve this experience; however, I believe that there is still room for improvement and other options. North America User Conference - Adoption for EPiServer is growing in NA; and, there are more partners than before willing to help with your specific implementation. One of the things that I would like to see is an annual conference where the community can come together, publicly discuss their pain points, success stories, conduct demos, talk about the product road map, etc; and, would be similar to what other competitors (such as Sitecore & Ektron) do.,8,Time-to-Market: For our clients that are on the EPiServer platform, they are able to quickly create content and push it to production easier and faster than in the past; and, part of that is due to their intuitive WYSIWYG Editor. Content Migration: For our clients that have moved from a different CMS platform to EPiServer, the content migration effort itself was much more efficient than previously anticipated; and, thus created a cost savings for the client and accelerated the project timelines.,Ektron Web Content Management System,Sitecore Web Content Management,9,6EPiServer - A Solid ChoiceWe implemented EPiServer to manage our public-facing B2B website. During our website redesign, we integrated our new design and HTML into the system, and additionally integrated the CMS with our marketing automation/email software so that we could use data from that engine within the personalization features that EPiServer offers. It is still in use today primarily by members of the marketing department to make updates to page content or add/remove pages.,The personalization engine is, from my perspective, one of the primary reasons to choose EPiServer. It works really well, and allows you to make some sophisticated, targeted marketing choices. EPiServer also is very developer-friendly, with an extensive and flexible API set.,Honestly the biggest challenge we had was not with the product but with the EPiServer sales team and implementation partners. At the time at least, their sales reps just didn't seem all that interested in making a sale! It took forever and felt like a sluggish process. Additionally, they would not let us independently evaluate their implementation partners, but pushed us to work with one particular partner. We started the project with this partner but for various reasons having mostly to do with their account management capabilities and the chemistry between us, the project imploded and we had to start all over again with another partner. This setback in our timeline could have been avoided if we'd been given the option of evaluating/communicating with a few partners and making our own selection that was best for our team.,8,Overall, the team has been satisfied with the CMS and finds it easier and faster to make updates to the web site than with the previous CMS system. If I had it to do over again, I'd have no problem choosing EPiServer, but I would make sure that my implementation made better use of their out-of-the-box features rather than relying on so much custom development at the page-level.,eZ Publish Platform,Cascade Server,Sitecore Web Content Management,Ektron Web Content Management System,15,1EPiServer is making great stridesWe use EPiServer to manage the content on our corporate website across multiple languages. It is used mostly by the marketing department with support from internal development. The plan is to eventually roll it out to other departments to manage their content in the future. It has allowed us to offload content updates from the development team onto the content creation teams. Technical knowledge is no longer a requirement to manage the website.,Translation/localization support Workflow management Flexibility,Deployment (when using a test environment) Reporting CMO across external sites,7,Increased efficiency (updates moved from developers and into the hands of content creators) Real-time updates,Ektron Web Content Management System,Sitecore Web Content Management,WordPress,Joomla!
Episerver Web Content Management

Episerver Web Content Management Reviews

Episerver Web Content Management
Filter 19 vetted Episerver Web Content Management reviews and ratings
Jared Wooden profile photo
October 10, 2017

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "Episerver is on its way up!"

• Ease of use for content editors
  • Speed to market (easier to implement than many other alternative platforms)
  • Decent extensibility
  • Documentation quality is inconsistent. Ranges from detailed to non-existent, depending on the topic.
  • Publishing between multiple environments requires some nasty workarounds. Export/import tool doesn't work great. Anonymous project preview had to be custom built. Etc.
  • Caching is simple to use with the out of the box set up, but customizing/extending it can be tricky.
[It's] Best suited for a client who wants a .NET WCMS, with maybe some basic marketing automation/personalization functionality to make their CMO happy. Anything beyond that and I might point them to Sitecore (for now).
Read Jared Wooden's full review
Ben Nitti profile photo
October 06, 2017

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "I like it, I recommend it, I look forward to what more Episerver will do!"

• Well-architected
  • Useful content structure
  • A blank canvas allowing total development freedom
  • Outdated style/theme of content editor
  • Potential performance issues (possibly related to legacy framework)
Best suited for enterprise applications. Companies who need higher security. Not recommended for smaller companies or blogs where something like wordpress could be a better solution.
Read Ben Nitti's full review
Jonathan Graham profile photo
July 07, 2015

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "EPiServer - Innovative Web Content Management Platform"

• Innovation - EPiServer is constantly looking at ways to improve their product and partner with organizations that can develop add-ons to improve the overall features of the core platform. For Example: SilverPop (marketing automation) and Celum (digital asset management).
  • Content Management - It may seem obvious that a WCM product should manage content/reuse well; but, let's be honest, not all products do what they claim to do well. In this case, EPiServer understands the core functionality and has created product that is intuitive and exceeds customer expectations in this area.
  • Previews - EPiServer has built-in templates (emulators) that allow you to easily confirm how your content is going to be displayed on a variety of devices before you publish your content. This is advantageous as it eliminates the guess work and need to redo content (or even code) after you've gone to production because you weren't able to thoroughly test it before hand.
  • Translations - When we first started to work with the product, the platform was missing the basic ability to export/import XLIFF for translation companies to leverage; and, it relied on developers that had created an Open Source module called "Translate X". The module was buggy, version specific and had little to no documentation. Since then, EPiServer has partnered with other software/translation companies (IE: Translations.com) to improve this experience; however, I believe that there is still room for improvement and other options.
  • North America User Conference - Adoption for EPiServer is growing in NA; and, there are more partners than before willing to help with your specific implementation. One of the things that I would like to see is an annual conference where the community can come together, publicly discuss their pain points, success stories, conduct demos, talk about the product road map, etc; and, would be similar to what other competitors (such as Sitecore & Ektron) do.
Key Questions To Ask:
  • What is your current technology stack and/or what technology is your in-house developers able to support?
  • What is your current budget for (1) Software (2) Annual Software Subscription (3) Implementation Services?
  • What are the top 3 business challenges you are expecting to resolve with this purchase?
  • How many CMS authors will need to have access to the system?
  • What role will digital marketing play in your decision making process?
  • What role will eCommerce play in your decision making process?
  • What business requirements do you have that will not be met by out-of-the-box features of the platform?
  • Does your site need to support translations (now or in the future)?
  • Where will the site be hosted (IE: On your servers, the cloud, etc)?
  • What is your timeline for implementation?
Read Jonathan Graham's full review
Amy Jesko profile photo
September 30, 2015

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "EPiServer - A Solid Choice"

• The personalization engine is, from my perspective, one of the primary reasons to choose EPiServer. It works really well, and allows you to make some sophisticated, targeted marketing choices.
  • EPiServer also is very developer-friendly, with an extensive and flexible API set.
  • Honestly the biggest challenge we had was not with the product but with the EPiServer sales team and implementation partners. At the time at least, their sales reps just didn't seem all that interested in making a sale! It took forever and felt like a sluggish process. Additionally, they would not let us independently evaluate their implementation partners, but pushed us to work with one particular partner. We started the project with this partner but for various reasons having mostly to do with their account management capabilities and the chemistry between us, the project imploded and we had to start all over again with another partner. This setback in our timeline could have been avoided if we'd been given the option of evaluating/communicating with a few partners and making our own selection that was best for our team.
EPiServer seems well suited for integrations with other systems, although definitely consider that it will take custom development work to make those integrations happen.
Read Amy Jesko's full review
Aaron Meier profile photo
July 07, 2015

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "EPiServer is making great strides"

• Translation/localization support
  • Workflow management
  • Flexibility
  • Deployment (when using a test environment)
  • Reporting
  • CMO across external sites
In our experience it does a great job of handling hundreds of pages across multiple sites and languages. It might be overkill if you only have a single site in a single language with a few dozen pages. You also need to invest a good amount of time in initial setup and future custom development. If you're not ready for that, EPiServer probably isn't for you.
Read Aaron Meier's full review
Chris Osterhout profile photo
July 07, 2015

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "Why EPiServer, Why Now?"

EPiServer is used by many of our clients and also by our marketing team to manage some of our web properties. We are also in the process of converting our primary website onto the EPiServer platform.
  • Enterprise e-commerce
  • Targeted Content
  • Streamlined CMS Editor Experience
  • Site speed performance
  • Multi-channel distribution
  • A stronger multi-tier content synchronization tool
  • Better documentation
EPiServer brings enterprise level CMS and commerce capabilities to the mid market. It is strongly suited for this space.
Read Chris Osterhout's full review
Kim Tran profile photo
March 19, 2015

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "EpiServer - Easy to Use CMS"

I used EpiServer as a Content Management System 5 CMS for Syncron's website within the Marketing department, only a few employees in Marketing have access to EpiServer. We also employed an external company to build the website within EpiServer and manages the major changes outside the scope build within the CMS. For example, build new templates, change page layout and add new website functionalities. As a side note, this is not cheap. On average, the fee can run about $180 per hour.

Overall, EpiServer CMS was easy to learn but you do need to know at least basic HTML to properly edit and update it. As for Search Engine Optimization functionalities, I have to request some of those features to be added in like the Canonical URL and Dynamic XML Sitemap generator. I have also worked with Kentico CMS and WordPress, I can say with confidence that EpiServer is a much easier tool to build web forms in.

From my experience, if a company is planning to use EpiServer, I suggest the Webmaster plan out exactly how web pages should look and how each area of the page should function leaving room for flexible edits and future updates. For example, do you want the body text area to have robust edits or text only? If not planned well in the beginning, the company will be locked into very specific setting and will be paying out lot of money for minor edits later. In case no one in the company truly understands how to do this, I would suggest contracting an outside Online Marketing Consultant to support through building the website. In the long run, this will save the company a lot more money and having the website function like it should from the front end to the back end coding.
  • Easy to learn
  • Easy to create and edit the web form
  • Easy to manage multiple languages
  • Have plugins to add more functionalities
  • Should include dynamic xml sitemap generator
  • Should include 401 Redirect functionality
  • Should include Canonicial URL functionality
  • Should include "No Index" functionality
  • We implemented a registration form requirement for visitors wanting to access restricted collaterals. This resulted in about a page long of gibberish code embeded within the source code for all web pages. If their is a way to shorten this, it would be great for SEO.
I do not recommend EpiServer for companies with a small website budget. Building the website itself costs us about $40,000. This does not include the cost of management from an external company ($150-$180/hr) and in-house resources afterward.
Read Kim Tran's full review
Marlon Fowler profile photo
April 07, 2014

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "Satisfied with EpiServer"

The entire web team used EPiServer at the company I worked for. It was their preferred CMS for their production environment.
  • Organization
  • Speed
  • Usability
  • I found that the upload feature was rather tedious. I was responsible for uploading around 500 pictures, by myself. There were ways to upload more than one photo at a time, but in our case we needed to categorize photos in different areas, and so that became tedious. Uploading photos in groups at a time, rather than all at once.
  • I think the user interface could stand to have a friendlier design. More communication within the CMS itself, directed back to the user. Similar to WordPress.
EpiServer is well suited for any large organization, even those businesses where daily deployments may top hundreds of pages. I can't see a scenario where EpiServer wouldn't be appropriate. In our organization, we used various modules where it was easy to drop in bits of HTML, as well as SEO which made our jobs much easier.
Read Marlon Fowler's full review
July 13, 2016

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "CMS and Powerful Marketing for MId-Level Customers"

I work with clients when they are selecting their CMS so I am consulting and providing demos with Episerver. For my clients, it is often used across departments but is owned by marketing and IT. Episerver has been a hugely helpful platform for clients who are looking to streamline the content management process (and keep content fresh on their site) and deliver tailored experiences for users.
  • Content management - the drag and drop ability to build/update templates is awesome and the interface is extremely easy to learn/use.
  • Personalization - building user segments is extremely straight forward and allows companies to deliver those tailored experiences users are looking for.
  • Multilingual.
  • Overall the product is good. I appreciate the variety in the add-on and think that there is a lot of opportunity to expand the add-on options to support more MA platforms, more translation services, etc.
  • The ability to leverage Google Analytics in page is great. I think a tighter integration here would be awesome because there are still pieces of the story you need from Google Analytics so you may be bouncing back and forth between systems.
Well suited for smaller marketing/comms teams. This is also a good platform for organizations that already have investments in and are successfully using powerful martech tools such as Marketo, etc.
Also good for more mid-level clients - I am not sure it is the best platform for more enterprise companies with multiple sites/brands and properties to manage (multiple meaning 5+).
July 07, 2015

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "EPiServer, From a Quality Assurance Engineer's Point of View"

EPiServer is one of the content management systems that my company offers to our clients. We have been working on more EPiServer projects in the last 8 months or so, but it usually depends on the client's needs. EPiServer has a reputation of handling eSync and eCommerce a little bit better than some of the other content management systems we use.
  • The ability to upload/delete images and files in bulk on the server. There are a few content management systems that don't have the bulk-upload functionality and it can be very time consuming to upload all of the assets for an entire website one-by-one. With EPiServer, you can paste a folder of assets on the server and it will appear in the workarea within seconds.
  • The ability to recover deleted content. When it comes to content on your website, it can be very scary when you accidentally delete an important page and have to recreate the content from scratch. With EPiServer, even if you accidentally delete a page, it can be recovered within seconds.
  • The form creator is very easy to use and requires no HTML code knowledge. When creating forms in EPiServer, it's as simple as clicking on the type of field you want and entering the label text and any additional information required (such as drop-down options, field validation, etc.). Some of the other content management systems I've worked with have similar form editors but the end result doesn't always look the way you expect it to.
  • Not having a folder structure to organize content pages was a little hard to get used to. There are ways to create different levels of organization but it seemed like a workaround.
  • We create a lot of custom templates and fields that are used by the content authors to help keep similar pages consistent and limit the ability for inline styles. When the page is mostly made up of custom fields (such as: product number, thumbnail/full-size image, caption, button text/link, etc.) then the WYSIWYG (what you see if what you get) editor doesn't allow you to edit all of the content. We found that we had to switch to the forms-edit view in order to create most of the pages. Not sure if there is even anything that could be done about this, but I know people like to be able to see what they're editing and click on the problem area so they can easily fix it, without having to hunt down the field name.
  • The native behavior of mirroring content pages into menu items automatically was also slightly difficult to work with for me. Although it makes the most sense to have your content follow the same structure as the navigation elements on your website, there are a few scenarios when it's best to have full control over the menu items as a separate piece. We were able to customize the set up so the menu was a separate section and you had to assign the content pages in order to have them display in the navigation.
I haven't worked with EPiServer long enough to learn the ins and outs just yet but our clients seemed very pleased with the product and creating content was just easy as any other CMS, if not easier. EPiServer has a reputation of being easier to implement and easier to maintain down the road so I think it's a great option for most websites.
April 11, 2014

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "Valtech & EpiServer"

Valtech is a Global Partner of EpiServer. Our clients love it. Feedback we've gotten that its very user friendly, and has powerful features.
  • Ease of use
  • Personalization
  • Powerful Ecom Engine
  • Has a Manage Services offering
  • EpiServer needs to do a better job marketing themselves here in the US.
Price points are great (not too expensive).
April 08, 2014

Episerver Web Content Management Review: "EpiServer"

EpiServer is the content management system used as the backbone of our corporate website.
  • Ease of use
  • Customization
  • Performance
Our business had a complex vision for the corporate website which incorporated the use of dynamic content based upon the behaviors of the website visitor. EpiServer was flexible enough to allow this vision to be realized while still easy enough to use for all levels.

Role-based user permissions (7)
API (7)
Internationalization / multi-language (7)
WYSIWYG editor (8)
6.5
Code quality / cleanliness (7)
Admin section (7)
Page templates (6)
Library of website themes (3)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (6)
Publishing workflow (6)
6.0
Form generator (5)
Content taxonomy (7)
SEO support (7)
Bulk management (6)
6.5
Availability / breadth of extensions (6)
5.5
Community / comment management (5)

About Episerver Web Content Management

The Episerver Digital Experience Cloud™ is designed to help editors and marketers to create and experience content simultaneously.

With the Episerver Digital Experience Cloud™ users can:

• Create content directly on-page and view it just as a visitor would
  • Start work on any device and switch device or channel with the click of a button
  • Drag and drop blocks, media, videos, forms or pages onto a desired area and they will automatically snap into place

According to the vendor, this solution can:

• Automatically adjust to fit any layout empowering content creators to display information as they want, while staying consistent with brand guidelines
  • Personalize blocks and pages to show the most relevant information for different customer segments
  • Mark content blocks with stripes in multiple versions and self-optimize to show the version most likely to entice action

Episerver Web Content Management Features

Web Content Creation Features
Has featureWYSIWYG editor
Has featureCode quality / cleanliness
Has featureContent versioning
Has featureAdmin section
Has featurePage templates
Has featureLibrary of website themes
Has featureMobile optimization / responsive design
Has featurePublishing workflow
Has featureSEO support
Has featureBrowser compatibility
Has featureBulk management
Has featurePage caching
Has featureAvailability / breadth of extensions
Has featureBuilt-in e-commerce / shopping cart
Has featureE-commerce / shopping cart extension
Has featureCommunity / comment management
Has featureMulti-factor authentication
Has featureUser-level audit trail
Has featureVersion history
Has featureSimple roll-back capabilities
CMS programming language or framework Features
Does not have featurePHP
Does not have featurePython
Does not have featureJava
Has feature.NET
Has featureIntelligent autocomplete - suggests common search terms and promotes search terms that give higher conversion rates without manual involvement
Has featureAdvanced language technology and behavioral tracking - finds all content in any source: pages, blocks, products, people and documents – to deliver very relevant search results
Has featureSophisticated faceting - lets the visitor drill down into search results quickly and intuitively

Episerver Web Content Management Screenshots

Episerver Web Content Management Videos (2)

Watch Janome: Growing a digital community of sewists one stitch at a time

Watch Lindblad Expeditions: Brining the expedition experience to your fingertips

Episerver Web Content Management Downloadables