ER/Studio is a database development and management tool from Embarcadero Technologies (acquired by Idera) in California.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/yh/7h/1TW8XBLNKOF2.JPEGAn intuitive design interface and capabilities supporting everyone from business users to technical architects make this data modelling tool stand out in the crowdER Studio Data Architect is a premiere choice tool for managing data models, data domains, and business glossaries across the organization. It's ease of use both to learn and to master make enforcing data modelling standards across the enterprise a simple task. We use ER Studio Data Architect to manage physical model naming standards (especially in sensitive and sometimes ambiguous shorthand naming conventions within hospital settings) as well as all data models within the organization. Its ability to import ETL mappings and manage data lineage is a powerful, overlooked feature that shined through where the ETL offering did not (we opted to use Data Architect over Informatica's Meta Data Management offering due to overhead and performance).,It is a great tool for developing, managing, and maintaining data models at both the logical and physical level (I still do whiteboard drawings for conceptual although conceptual modelling is a capability of the team edition and above I believe) The naming conventions template greatly reduces physical modelling time as you can concentrate on logical naming conventions, and then publish your physical model by pushing it through the naming standards The ability to interpret ETL mappings goes a great way in providing data lineage to the business. This is often overlooked in organizations in favor of immediate gratification through reporting, then having to eventually rework due to auditing or other issues that may expose where corners were cut,Relationships are a bit on the weaker side. Many times I found orphaned relationships that I could not get rid of, or additional columns that were automatically created during the push to the physical model that appear to be due to key constraint bugs There are a lot of bugs introduced when merging keys. I tend to model 2 tables for example logically, establish the relationship, and then merge the additional key column that is automatically created when establishing the relationship. This sometimes causes downstream issues with the physical model (creating duplicate columns with _1 appended) Meta-data could be improved. I find it hard to keep descriptions and other meta information clean when copying and pasting from other sources due to formatting tags being introduced on each object (font, size, color, etc.). The attachment feature comes in handy, however I am looking for the ability to cleanly document and map multiple sources to a single target while providing searchability and traceability,8,Enforced modelling standards across the organization including naming conventions Provided data lineage through importing ETL mappings and documenting source definitions through attachments Published global data glossaries to business users providing business terminology to tables and fields,erwin Data Modeler and Microsoft VisioER/Studio has been my tool of choice for the last 15 yearsER/Studio is used by my team and possibly by some other teams. I use it for logical and physical modeling of databases, both OLTP and data warehouses, as well as for applying incremental changes to the databases (deployments). I also use it to maintain consistent naming standards.,ER/Studio is great for dividing logical and physical design. A logical model can be used with different physical platforms. Studio can a useful macro capability that allows me to apply the naming standards across the model with ease and consistency. ER/Studio does a very good job at comparing the model with the actual database and generating DDL scripts for production deployments. ER/Studio has an excellent reporting and model publishing capabilities allowing me to produce models in the HTML format and publish them for the team as needed.,We recently moved to using AWS Redshift as our data warehousing platform. ER/Studio does not support Redshift. ER/Studio does not support conceptual data modeling.,10,Increased quality of the data models. Increased productivity in data modeling and database development. Ability to share the models with the team.,aqua, Toad Data Modeler and Visio,Toad Data Point, Amazon Redshift, Microsoft SQL ServerVisually manage your data modelsWe have a small department, so I am the sole user of ER/Studio Data Architect. I use it to do all database schema changes throughout the department for all databases we have created. ER/Studio is able to provide us a consistent methodology from a database standards and needs perspective. I'm also able to generate data model images for the IT team to use.,ER/Studio has the ability to provide consistent field names and data types through domains, which are templates. This provides a way to have consistent naming of common fields, like CreatedBy and the data types for the fields. They also have the ability to change all the fields that use that domain to a different data type. ER/Studio provides the ability to create custom macros. These macros can be used to apply everything from standard fields based on domains to naming all constraints and indexes. I've also used a macro that comes with ER/Studio to spell check field and table names. My favorite feature is the ability to compare your data model to databases for deployments of changes, and to other data models.,ER/Studio are missing some functionality for SQL Server databases. Indexes can have WHERE statements for filtered indexes. This is not supported. The Include statement of an index will start with a comma which breaks the index during deployment. New versions need to have better regression testing. I've had versions where features no longer were included, like owners, which are very important in SQL Server. (This feature is in the current version thank goodness.) Datatype datetime2 is not supported in domains, so custom macros need to be used to apply to fields using domains. A new feature that would be great, would be to have ER/Studio generate an HTML document that creates a searchable image of the data model for team members who don't use ER/Studio. This would be very helpful for large data models. New feature: Provide the ability to rollback the deployment script. If it fails, you are currently left in a half way state. New feature: Provide a clean way to delete the temporary tables in the database. Right now, I have to run a SQL Script to delete all the objects left in my database.,10,The business doesn't know that we use it. I'm the only one that finds it a necessity. It's a necessity because I'm a visual person. It's easier to maintain proper foreign key and primary key indexes, especially when teammates inadvertently delete them.,erwin Data Modeler,Redgate SQL Compare, Redgate SQL Data Compare, SQL SentryER Studio is the best Data Modeling toolER/Studio is one of the best data modeling tools available in the market. We use it in most of our projects to develop logical and physical data models. ER/Studio comes with a bunch of inbuilt macros and also we can create our own. Macros aid in maintaining consistency with naming standards across the data models, creating indexes etc. Also, ER/Studio doesn't need a lot of prior training to use the tool. The tool is very user friendly, easy to use and very efficient.,Creating macros. Being able to merge the new DDLs to the existing database tables and make selection of only those you want to overwrite/merge/add. Easy to convert from logical to physical.,10,ER/Studio has had a positive impact on my project as we can develop the data model and have a clear understanding of business needs before we continue with the development phase.,,Toad for OracleER\Studio: The Model Modeling toolWe use ER/Studio within our data modeling team here at UConn Health. I'm the lead data modeler and I'm responsible for the maintenance and administration of the ER\Studio application and repository. We use it for our application databases (3NF) and data warehouse database (Dimensional) designs. I've found it to be a very useful tool and makes creating the physical database as easy as a few clicks of a button. Of course there is effort in doing the analysis and creating the conceptual and logical models but writing DDL is a thing of the past with ER\Studio.,ER\Studio supports the concept of a domain. You can create a custom domain (data type) and give it a name and use it as the data type for attributes. I use this to define my surrogate PK and several other "standard" attributes we populate into every relation (table). ER\Studio supports the coding of Macros. This is VB code that leverages their API to automate manual process. Very helpful as you could imagine. They supply a large set of pre-canned macros and are very good about helping you write your own if you need help. I have several macros that help me implement naming conventions on attributes and FK names. The repository is a handy feature that allows you to save off your models to a database to be safe and also to allow for collaboration between other modelers on you team. Several different licensing models allow for flexibility, usage. They support a single user workstation as well as concurrent licensing, for multiple part time users.,ER\Studio licensing can be cumbersome and upgrading from one version to another usually takes several phone calls and emails to the licensing group to get the update installed and running. The repository can be slow when the model count gets larger. By large I mean 20 to 30 models. A nice feature that I would like to see is table comments be displayed on the model along with the attributes. Currently you have to choose between the two.,9,Using ER\Studio to create models and eventually the actual database schema allows for a picture that is understandable to the customer and saves significant time writing DDL to create the database objects (tables, indexes, relationships, constraints...) A nice customer interface tool so you can create a web based interface to the metadata for a particular design. The tool also supports sub-models so you can break a large project into smaller parts, I find this feature very helpful.,Sybase Power Designer Data Architect and CA ERwin,No,9,No,When I first starting working with macros and I had a question, the support person didn't just help me she actually wrote the macro for me and I've used it as a template for several other macros.
ER/Studio Data Architect

ER/Studio Data Architect Reviews

ER/Studio Data Architect
Filter 10 vetted ER/Studio Data Architect reviews and ratings
Jody Gitchel profile photo
December 10, 2018

ER/Studio Data Architect Review: "An intuitive design interface and capabilities supporting everyone from business users to technical architects make this data modelling tool stand out in the crowd"

• It is a great tool for developing, managing, and maintaining data models at both the logical and physical level (I still do whiteboard drawings for conceptual although conceptual modelling is a capability of the team edition and above I believe)
  • The naming conventions template greatly reduces physical modelling time as you can concentrate on logical naming conventions, and then publish your physical model by pushing it through the naming standards
  • The ability to interpret ETL mappings goes a great way in providing data lineage to the business. This is often overlooked in organizations in favor of immediate gratification through reporting, then having to eventually rework due to auditing or other issues that may expose where corners were cut
  • Relationships are a bit on the weaker side. Many times I found orphaned relationships that I could not get rid of, or additional columns that were automatically created during the push to the physical model that appear to be due to key constraint bugs
  • There are a lot of bugs introduced when merging keys. I tend to model 2 tables for example logically, establish the relationship, and then merge the additional key column that is automatically created when establishing the relationship. This sometimes causes downstream issues with the physical model (creating duplicate columns with _1 appended)
  • Meta-data could be improved. I find it hard to keep descriptions and other meta information clean when copying and pasting from other sources due to formatting tags being introduced on each object (font, size, color, etc.). The attachment feature comes in handy, however I am looking for the ability to cleanly document and map multiple sources to a single target while providing searchability and traceability
Data Architect is well suited at organizations of all sizes. It is never too early or unnecessary to enforce proper modelling and design standards on data solutions, and this tool will help that greatly by providing an industry leading data modelling tool, ability to import ETL mappings for data lineage, enforcing and managing naming conventions through the naming convention tool, and publishing of data dictionaries through the report publisher. I was successfully able to build models, provide traceability, and document source to target with lineage throughout for both the business (by providing business definitions in the descriptions), and technical teams (by documenting ETL instructions in text fields) along with field level mapping (by creating "Attachments" representing data sources, tables, and fields) providing easy search capabilities using business friendly terms
Read Jody Gitchel's full review
Michael Romm profile photo
June 21, 2017

ER/Studio Data Architect Review: "ER/Studio has been my tool of choice for the last 15 years"

• ER/Studio is great for dividing logical and physical design. A logical model can be used with different physical platforms.
  • Studio can a useful macro capability that allows me to apply the naming standards across the model with ease and consistency.
  • ER/Studio does a very good job at comparing the model with the actual database and generating DDL scripts for production deployments.
  • ER/Studio has an excellent reporting and model publishing capabilities allowing me to produce models in the HTML format and publish them for the team as needed.
  • We recently moved to using AWS Redshift as our data warehousing platform. ER/Studio does not support Redshift.
  • ER/Studio does not support conceptual data modeling.
ER/Studio is great for both logical and physical layers of database modeling. It does not support conceptual data modeling though. It should be used in both transactional and warehouse modeling. It is useful for enforcing database naming conventions, good design practices and comprehensive reporting on database models, including publishing the models for the wider team.
Read Michael Romm's full review
April 11, 2017

ER/Studio Data Architect Review: "Visually manage your data models"

• ER/Studio has the ability to provide consistent field names and data types through domains, which are templates. This provides a way to have consistent naming of common fields, like CreatedBy and the data types for the fields. They also have the ability to change all the fields that use that domain to a different data type.
  • ER/Studio provides the ability to create custom macros. These macros can be used to apply everything from standard fields based on domains to naming all constraints and indexes. I've also used a macro that comes with ER/Studio to spell check field and table names.
  • My favorite feature is the ability to compare your data model to databases for deployments of changes, and to other data models.
  • ER/Studio are missing some functionality for SQL Server databases. Indexes can have WHERE statements for filtered indexes. This is not supported.
  • The Include statement of an index will start with a comma which breaks the index during deployment.
  • New versions need to have better regression testing. I've had versions where features no longer were included, like owners, which are very important in SQL Server. (This feature is in the current version thank goodness.)
  • Datatype datetime2 is not supported in domains, so custom macros need to be used to apply to fields using domains.
  • A new feature that would be great, would be to have ER/Studio generate an HTML document that creates a searchable image of the data model for team members who don't use ER/Studio. This would be very helpful for large data models.
  • New feature: Provide the ability to rollback the deployment script. If it fails, you are currently left in a half way state.
  • New feature: Provide a clean way to delete the temporary tables in the database. Right now, I have to run a SQL Script to delete all the objects left in my database.
ER/Studio is great for providing data model images for teammates to use when they are not data modelers.
Praveena Amancha profile photo
April 08, 2016

ER/Studio Data Architect Review: "ER Studio is the best Data Modeling tool"

• Creating macros.
  • Being able to merge the new DDLs to the existing database tables and make selection of only those you want to overwrite/merge/add.
  • Easy to convert from logical to physical.
ER/Studio can be used for any type of scenarios, either to develop an ER model or a dimension model.
Read Praveena Amancha's full review
Jay Coppola profile photo
October 07, 2015

ER/Studio Data Architect Review: "ER\Studio: The Model Modeling tool"

• ER\Studio supports the concept of a domain. You can create a custom domain (data type) and give it a name and use it as the data type for attributes. I use this to define my surrogate PK and several other "standard" attributes we populate into every relation (table).
  • ER\Studio supports the coding of Macros. This is VB code that leverages their API to automate manual process. Very helpful as you could imagine. They supply a large set of pre-canned macros and are very good about helping you write your own if you need help. I have several macros that help me implement naming conventions on attributes and FK names.
  • The repository is a handy feature that allows you to save off your models to a database to be safe and also to allow for collaboration between other modelers on you team.
  • Several different licensing models allow for flexibility, usage. They support a single user workstation as well as concurrent licensing, for multiple part time users.
  • ER\Studio licensing can be cumbersome and upgrading from one version to another usually takes several phone calls and emails to the licensing group to get the update installed and running.
  • The repository can be slow when the model count gets larger. By large I mean 20 to 30 models.
  • A nice feature that I would like to see is table comments be displayed on the model along with the attributes. Currently you have to choose between the two.

It's a data modeling tool that will generate the DDL for your database, so you need to know your target database system (SQL Server Oracle, DB2).

They have single target versions and multiple target versions. The multiple target includes just about every conceivable DBMS including XML.

Read Jay Coppola's full review

ER/Studio Data Architect Scorecard Summary

About ER/Studio Data Architect

ER/Studio Data Architect is a powerful data modeling tool that aims to enable companies to create and maintain entity relationship diagrams with detailed metadata. According to the vendor, with round-trip database support, data architects have the power to easily reverse-engineer, analyze, and optimize existing databases from diverse platforms, including relational and NoSQL data sources. Multiple users can collaborate and share data assets across modeling projects in the model repository.

ER/Studio Enterprise Team Edition is a powerful business-driven data architecture solution that combines multi-platform data modeling, design, and reporting with cross-organizational team collaboration for enterprises of all sizes. Data professionals can easily capture and share models, metadata, data sources, and glossaries across the organization for improved alignment between business and IT. Business stakeholders can participate in the metadata definition workflow and access information on models and metadata at the right level for their needs. Data professionals and business stakeholders who want to establish a solid foundation for data governance across the enterprise choose ER/Studio.

ER/Studio Data Architect Competitors