Reviews (1-4 of 4)
- Creation of logical data models
- Reverse engineering
- Excellent communication tool in conversations with Developers and BAs
- As a company, Erwin provides lots of tutorials and how-tos.
- The main con I can think of is cost.
- It takes time to setup and learn which is an adoption barrier.
- Modeling of complex environments
- Documenting existing databases
- Communication tool between BAs, Architects, DBAs and Developers
- Modeling and documentation tool for developing our Data Warehouse
- It is reliable in the use case we have, to rename and standardize fields accurately.
- erwin has as very great customer service team.
- Interface is very old seeming
- Small text and multiple buttons makes the user interface difficult to maneuver
- Reverse Engineering: I love the way we can import an SQL file containing schema meta data and generate ER diagram out of it. This is specifically useful if you are implementing erwin Data Modeler for an existing database.
- Forward Engineering: We use this feature very frequently. Where we do database changes in our physical and logical data models and then generate deployment scripts for the changes made.
- Physical vs Logical Models: I like to have my database model split into physical and logical models and at the same time still linked to each other. Any changes you make to logical model or physical model shows up in the other.
- For large models, it gets tedious to print the diagram in a single pdf. I have to often make adjustment and if i use the fit model feature, it kind of changes the alignment of entities in my ER diagram. Erwin may let us make pdf of the model as is.
- I have used reverse engineering using for Oracle schemas. It will be very good if it supports reverse engineering for more vendors, so i can use erwin data modeler for database conversion activities too.
We build ER diagrams out of requirement documents and then use these ER diagrams to discuss in meetings with functional and DBA teams. Once the design is approved, we further use erwin Data Modeler to make both logical and physical data models, include triggers and constraints in the model, and forward engineer deployment scripts for the DBA team.
erwin Data Modeler has greatly helped us maintain a SDLC for database changes and version control.
- erwin Data Modeler helps generate deployment scripts for database deployments without the need to worry about programming syntax.
- It helps you compare different models pretty easily and identify any discrepancies induced due to human error during deployment cycles.
- I have a great experience of using erwin Data Modeler to generate database models straight out of database SQL file. This feature is called reverse engineering in erwin Data Modeler world.
- erwin Data Modeler allows only 25 entities in a trial version. It really limits you when you want to try out the product before actually deciding to pay for licensing cost. It would be rather helpful if they limit the trial period by days instead.
- The UI is pretty good but sometimes the large diagrams are hard to manage. A little improvement in that area would be helpful.
erwin Data Modeler Scorecard Summary
About erwin Data Modeler
erwin provides a data management platform for managing both structured and unstructured data types. It is an open-standards data hub designed to allow customers to manage their data wherever it might be stored (in-house relational databases, or public or private cloud). The platform handles big data governance, control, customization and web-based publishing and reporting.
The vendor says erwin Data Modeler is used by more than 50,000 professionals in 60+ countries to get big results from their enterprise data initiatives. Additionally, the vendor says their solution is the #1 choice in virtually every industry, from government and healthcare to retail and finance.
erwin Data Modeler Screenshots
erwin Data Modeler Competitors
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?Optional
erwin Data Modeler Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
erwin Data Modeler Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|