Evernote Reviews

page V | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2020

Evernote: A digital notebook for productivity

Pros and Cons

• Journal organization - Evernote allows you to organize your topics and thoughts into digital notebooks.
  • Integrations - Evernote works with Google Chrome and can help you search, clip, and paste things into your journals.
  • Organization - Items are organized by notebook and journal entry, but sometimes it can still feel a little disorienting when searching for items.
  • Image clippings - For some odd reason, this functionality does not work for the team members that use it.
Read page V's full review
Anjelo Bandara | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 09, 2020

Safe place to save regular notes.

Pros and Cons

• Evernote can be used in multiple devices and all of the notes written using software synced to one single account and all the notes are safe in one single place.
  • Evernote supports various platforms such as MAC, Windows, and IOS and Android.
  • Evernote is not just a single note-writing app, it supports images, drawings, and other attachments as well so that it helps with complete data gathering for notes.
  • Evernote also supports handwriting so that if you have a tablet with pen you can just write in Evernote as you usually would write on paper.
  • When searching PDF documents in Evernote, if there's a text file in a scanned format Evernote could not support it
  • When attaching pictures to an Evernote file it takes some time to sync with the cloud.
  • In my view, if Evernote can reduce the plan prices it will be easier for small organizations to purchase this solution.
Read Anjelo Bandara's full review
Tanner Holt | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 28, 2019

Evernote Review

Pros and Cons

• Syncing to multiple devices.
  • Quick to capture notes and thoughts.
  • Easy to use layout.
  • Sometimes when using images it is hard to add text to the bottom.
  • I wish I could turn notes into notebooks after published.
  • Sometimes the clipper adds the notes into random places if you are not careful.
Read Tanner Holt's full review
Prathamesh Warude | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 26, 2019

Evernote is the best productivity app but at a hefty price!!!

Pros and Cons

• It helps to track time.
  • Web clipping is very helpful to capture web documents and save them directly.
  • We can share the documents with our team members.
  • We can sketch our thoughts and ideas instantly and save it on any device.
  • The pricing of Evernote is a bit on the higher side.
  • Sometimes the app is very slow and feels glitchy.
Read Prathamesh Warude's full review
Bart Caylor | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

Trusted Resource

Pros and Cons

• Search and find - I really like that I can just scan it and forget it, but able to search and find what I need.
  • Ever-present - I like that Evernote is in the cloud and accessible from any computer or mobile device. It has saved me in a pinch when I was remote and had to log in via a public computer to access something.
  • Easy to use and simple interface.
  • Over the years, they have a lot more things I really don't need or use.
  • Sometimes it is difficult to share the docs with non-Evernote users. There are ways, but they are not intuitive.
Read Bart Caylor's full review
Justin McClelland | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 04, 2019

Evernote is a GAME-CHANGER that will organize your business

• Syncs across multiple devices
  • Search capability of notes
  • The note editor is very simple and functional, it allows for notes to contain various media content
  • The integration of notes into Google Calendar would be useful, thus allowing one to see what date notes where created and by who
  • Setting reminders on notes so that you could get an email reminder to revisit the note
  • Being able to speak notes into transcription would be useful
Read Justin McClelland's full review
Joel McAfee | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 28, 2019

Evernote: An All-In Note Making App for the Digital Age

Pros and Cons

• For one, Evernote takes the note-making up a notch by allowing you to include more than just text. It integrates the modern age into note-making by allowing hyperlinks, websites, and social media posts to be attached within a specific note.
  • You can tag specific notes so that you can perform a search or organize by a given topic/name. This is helpful as often notes are made when and wherever you are and this extra layer of organization is a great way to keep track of specific notes.
  • One strength for Evernote is the syncing across multiple devices. Once you create your account you can add Evernote to your phone and multiple computers (3 for free I believe) and it syncs automatically. You can pay for even more devices if need be. This is a great way to have your notes available no matter where you are.
  • One minor area where Evernote can be improved is the user interface. Though it is not complicated by any means, it does feel a little clunky. The way it's laid out on my computer has a middle window when in notebook view that shows some of the text from the note in a paper-like preview but has a ton of dead space to the right. I say it's minor as you can adjust this space or choose a different view, but by default, it requires a bit of manipulation to make the window layout in a way that is pleasing and easier to use.
  • Simple complaint here but deleting a note on a Mac is surprisingly tough. You can't just hit delete, and often the right click window doesn't appear depending on where you click.
  • I think in general it has so many options for making notes it is a little convoluted. It would seem a simpler toolbar at the top with icons showing how you can add notes would be better than dropdown lists in the top menu. It feels a little antiquated.
Read Joel McAfee's full review
November 11, 2019

9/10 Overall. Best collaborative platform-independent note-taking app out there!

Pros and Cons

• Meeting notes - every meeting I'm a part of gets a note in Evernote. When I'm trying to remember what was said, who said it, or who committed to a specific task, I refer to my Evernote notes.
  • Cross-platform - The real draw for our organization is that it doesn't matter if someone is on a Mac or PC, or prefers Firefox over Chrome. It just works and looks good doing it. There are some great platform-specific note-taking apps that are pretty enticing as a Mac user, but for an organization, we need the flexibility of it being platform-independent.
  • Collaboration - you can share notes with others who can contribute and edit. This is good for working through a new piece of documentation. Collaborators can work on it privately before posting to our company Wiki.
  • I'd like to see more flexibility around the collaboration aspect. I really like the "view only" and "comment only" features of Google docs. I think this would be a great addition to the collaboration tools.
  • For individual users or people with small budgets, the "Upgrade" popups/reminders can be pretty invasive. I wish they were slightly less aggressive, but I understand they have a business to run as well. My wish would be to communicate the upgrade options via email vs. in-app. For my personal accounts, I'd be much more apt to purchase an upgrade if the pricing was closer to Bear's less-expensive option.
  • This is probably more of a niche feature, but markdown support would help some more technical users IMO, and competitors like Bear offer this as an option.
October 18, 2019

Never forget another idea!

Pros and Cons

• Handwriting Note Sketching: Automated scripts to convert rough lines into perfectly straight lines and circles makes life extremely easy for note-taking. I have always enjoyed the capability of writing notes directly in the Evernote software using my Wacom Tablet PC's
  • Organizing Notes: Not only can notes be organized by notebooks and notebook groups, but one can also tag notes to organize relevant thoughts/projects within the same notebook.
  • Related Notes: Automated system which reviews the contents of current notes and recommends related notes in your notebook. I cannot tell you how many times I've forgotten about another note buried in the archive related to some projects I'm currently working on.
  • Note Searching - Easy to search through documents, handwritten notes, photos, and PDF documents stored in your notebooks to find exactly what you're looking for. My search hasn't failed me in eleven years, I can always find a note/thought I'm looking for.
  • Cross-platform accessibility: This was the largest draw for me originally. The ability to jot a note on my work PC, and have access to those notes on any device, even a smartphone with no internet access (offline mode activated).
  • Note History: Excellent feature added eight years ago which tracks note changes over time. It's been quite handy to recover data accidentally erased and remained unnoticed for weeks/months.
  • Excellent clipping application for PC: low resource usage and I appreciate how different hotkeys allow the user to chose how to take a screenshot (save to Evernote, save to desktop, save to clipboard). I cannot even estimate how many times per day I use the Evernote screen clipper function.
  • Note Synchronization: Notes are always synchronized so the most recent version is presented across all devices.
  • Individual data encryption security: While selected text data within notes can be encrypted, there isn't a way to encrypt entire sensitive notes which contain other embedded media files (such as photos and pdfs)
  • Notebook Listing Customization: Can be challenging to find the desired notebook in a large list of notebooks. Grouping Notebooks only stacks one layer deep, making it impossible to create neat notebook layer stacks. Notebooks also lack fields for longer descriptions, so one must use descriptive Notebook names to avoid confusion later
  • HTML Formatting: Copy/pasting from web pages into an Evernote document can be challenging as it can screw up formatting sometimes quite significantly. Fortunately, there are now "Simply Formatting" and "Remove Formatting" functions to help one clean up notes. This helps but it's not always a perfect solution. I often use the "Paste without formatting" function to avoid any problems when pasting content from the clipboard into a note.
December 11, 2019

Great Notes App

Pros and Cons

• Share the notes with my peers.
  • Ability to save audio notes.
  • Ability to integrate video chatting feature with people m sharing notes.
  • Ability for my peers to update the notes.
October 24, 2019

Evernote elevates note taking and file organization

Pros and Cons

• Autosaves notes in real time
  • Allows for sharing
  • Makes it easy to create new notes and look back on old notes
  • Requires WiFi connection
  • Not as many people in my organization use Evernote
  • I wish there was more customization and color features
October 23, 2019

Evernote is an amazing program, but has a couple drawbacks

Pros and Cons

• OCR - Text Recognition. Evernote's ability to search within documents is incredible. It can even read handwritten notes!
  • Affordable pricing for small businesses.
  • Evernote makes it easy to files things away that you may later want to find and use later without cluttering and taking up a lot of space on your computer. This makes accessing information from multiple devices a breeze.
  • We would love to see Evernote offer a better way to back up your notes and notebooks locally. For example, you can't just export all your notes in their original format to a folder on your computer or external hard drive.
  • I wish there were a better way to "leave Evernote". Once you start using Evernote for "all the things". It is difficult to part ways, because how are you then going to access all of your content. While, of course, no business ever wants to make it easy for their users to leave. It would be nice, for really small companies, to have the ability to "pause" their subscription without losing all of their data.
  • While some people may love this feature, we don't. We like documents to be sorted by date. When it was created or saved not by when it was last modified. With Evernote, when you make an edit to note, it then moves that note up in order, as if it is new. We'd like to see Evernote give you the option of leaving it where it is or "updating" it's time stamp.
October 18, 2019

Anatomy of Evernote

Pros and Cons

• The beauty of Evernote is that it is device and operating system agnostic. We write on our app and it shows up on the web seamlessly.
  • I like this better than One Note as it is much lighter and has not crashed on me even once. Creating personal tags is very convenient.
  • Providing good integrations with snapshot tools would be very convenient. I can still attach the photos or screenshots but it is not simple.
  • When I used Evernote, it did not have to-do lists. This was very-painful to manually go and add bullet points for a simple task.
September 10, 2019

Evernote can save time for every business!

Pros and Cons

• Evernote is really easy to use.
  • Syncing across devices is really useful.
  • The sort function is really helpful for searching through notes.
  • Formating could use some improvement. Although there are options, there aren't nearly as many as in Microsoft products.
  • A reminder function would be really helpful, perhaps integrating Evernote and a calendar app would be great.
  • Simultaneous editing would be useful, like in Google Docs.
September 10, 2019

Evernote has saved my bacon more than once!

Pros and Cons

• Search INSIDE documents with an OCR like function.
  • Multi-platform support: MacOS, Windows and Smartphone (both Android and iPhone).
  • On and offline folders for sync.
  • Low cost for large amounts of storage.
  • Web Clipper for Firefox seems different than for Chrome with regards to "simplified article" clipping.
  • There has been some movement of pricing plans that might still need some fine-tuning.
August 29, 2019

Great tool for professional and personal use!

Pros and Cons

• Evernote is great and makes it easy to save content found on the Internet.
  • I love the way that it organizes all the content and makes it easy to find.
  • And since I’m on my phone so often it’s great that it’s mobile-friendly as well.
  • I would love to see more integrations with other document management systems, like Share Drive and Google Drive.
Paul Weber | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2018

A digital black hole - until you need it!

Pros and Cons

• Evernote does a great job integrating with other platforms. I use the Outlook, Chrome, and Slack connections, as well as using direct App links from tasks in Todoist.
  • Evernote does a good job of making search work - even inside scanned documents. That saves me time needing to label, tag, and rename files and lets me just store them and move on knowing I'll be able to find them again later.
  • Evernote works well (but not identically) across platforms. Mac and PC are almost identical, but the way it is laid out and offers text formatting and photo capture on a mobile is great for that platform.
  • Evernote really made me question my use when they changed their payment model a couple years ago. Admittedly, I had never paid for it and this change would move me to being a paid user - but I was happy enough with the system (and it has continued to improve) that I now pay happily for their base subscription level.
  • Evernote can be annoying with asking you to pay (or increase your subscription) incessantly. Every time I attach a Word doc it reminds me that I can search inside these with the next level of payment - just take no for an answer rather than harassing me to pay 5x a day!
  • Changes aren't always clearly communicated and getting started can be difficult. I had an account that sat gathering dust for years until I bit the bullet and took a course - now I'm happy I did, but not everyone is willing to invest that much time and money just to try something.
Read Paul Weber's full review
Rob Battaglia | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2018

Using Evernote

• Share information
  • Track task completion
  • get reminders
  • Allow more devices to be added to account
  • Can be pricey for multiple users
  • Would like more interaction with other programs
Read Rob Battaglia's full review
Sam Goodwin | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2018

Super Easy To Use Note & Information Keeper

Pros and Cons

• Web clipping, from the entire page to a simplified article.
  • Note creation and sharing with team members
  • Simplistic use
  • Some of the creation of tables inside Evernote can be challenging at times, but this has gotten better as of late
Read Sam Goodwin's full review

Document collaboration (47)
Access control (43)
File search (49)
Device sync (47)
User and role management (36)
File organization (48)
Device management (41)
Performance (47)
Reliability (48)
Storage Reports (32)

About Evernote

Evernote is a suite of software and services designed for notetaking and archiving. A "note" can be a piece of formatted text, a full webpage or webpage excerpt, a photograph, a voice memo, or a handwritten "ink" note. Notes can also have file attachments. Notes can be sorted into folders, then tagged, annotated, edited, given comments, searched and exported as part of a notebook. Evernote supports a number of operating system platforms (including OS X, iOS, Chrome OS, Android, Microsoft Windows, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and webOS) and also offers online synchronisation and backup services.

Evernote Integrations