Apple offers Final Cut Pro X, a video editing platform featuring optimized for a high performance machines and supporting a wide range of quality effects.Quality Video Production for EveryoneWe use Final Cut Pro X in our Marketing Department for video editing and production. Final Cut gives us more flexibility than other video editing software because it doesn't have much of a learning curve, meaning we don't need to have an extensive training session before getting new users set up with the software.,Final Cut Pro already has many of the extra features you would have to download for other video editing software already installed when you start. There's no need to go searching online for add-ons. It's a really intuitive program to use, you just drag and drop the video where you want it or click and drag where you want to cut. This makes it easy to show new users how to get started. You can layer many different audio channels, which gives you a lot of freedom to get your sound just right.,Final Cut has seemingly "crashed" in the middle of working on a few of our projects, and we weren't able to recover our progress. Starting from scratch after hours of work is not fun. Although we haven't had a problem with it yet, it seems as though there are fewer exporting options than we expected. The major options are there, but it seems as though there should be more. Exporting screenshots as jpegs is a disappointment with Final Cut Pro X. They don't export in HD. The workaround is to export as a png or tiff but it's annoying that you can't use jpeg.,9,Our video production quality has increased significantly with the use of Final Cut Pro X. We've had a big increase in visits to our YouTube channel, and higher engagement on the new videos, since switching to Final Cut Pro X. The quality is often commented on. Our department is focused on creating engaging content for our customers, and video is the best way to do that for us. With Final Cut we're able to produce high-quality videos, quickly, meaning we always have fresh, relevant content to keep people coming back.,Adobe Premiere Pro,Evernote, Slack, Trello, Facebook for Business, Google Ads (formerly AdWords)A cut above the restWell, primarily it's being used by myself only. I started here a little over three years ago developing training content primarily with Articulate Storyline and some light video work on Camtasia. Of course, there were no Macs here in this company at the time. About a year later, we purchased the first Mac ever in this company and with it, Final Cut Pro X (FCPX), Motion, and Compressor. We were heading in the direction of more video production here in house. I use FCPX for a variety of pieces ranging from screenshares to projects that I shoot myself and then complete in FCPX and Motion. Again, almost all of what I do is for training via our LMS that is currently serving our 2300+ staff Nationwide. We're also building out a studio this year by mid Summer. So, FCPX has helped me grow video production internally. In addition, I've been tasked with quite a few marketing types of pieces and that department is now purchasing their own camera and software. Basically, our industry requires, from time to time, that training be visual in nature. Affording an outside video production company just isn't in the cards when you can get into production internally for such a small amount of money these days. So, that's what we're doing. With FCPX, though, we can push those limits and even venture into video production that was out of the question for us just 3 short years ago. It's been a boon for our training.,Real-time editing is beyond anything I've used prior. The ability to manipulate and change things while the timeline is still playing is remarkable. The GUI of FCPX is above par in my opinion. Nothing else like it exists. The application is the standard in the industry as it's as simple or as complex as required for a particular task. Don't believe me? Add on mO2 plugin and watch just how powerful it can be.,Keyboard shortcuts are pretty solid, but I'd like to map my own. I know there's some room for that, but I'd like to see a little more integration with the touchbar on FCPX. I mean manipulation on the touchbar to personalize.,10,Only positive really. I've helped (with FCPX) bring this company into the modern age of training. When I got here, we had nothing. Now, three years later, we're building a small studio this year.,Camtasia and Adobe Premiere Pro,Articulate 360, Articulate Storyline, Adobe PhotoshopGet in the content creation game with Final Cut X - X marks the spotAdmittedly it was a leap for us to move from Final Cut 7 to X. The curve wasn't as steep as we all feared but there was some getting used to. Now it is used every day. There is a fountain of vendors for plugins. I often had to step out to do some animation in after effects, but a great deal can be done in Final Cut. Super easy. I Love it. We use it for Youtube and other social media and to be able to post it directly and or in the flavor that a channel wants is great. If you have the RAM (32gigs on my old 2011 is boatloads faster than my other 2019 mac. with 8gigs). I think for the community support, available plugins and how easy it is to use - oh and the price - AWESOME.,Composing a timeline to tell a story. Workflow. Ease of use.,In some respects, the layout was better in the previous version. Or maybe I got used to that. Sometimes files get moved around and that would break the reference links. It would be great if Final Cut could send out a search party on its own to look for the missing files.,10,It has allowed us to compete against much larger agencies. I love that once you buy it you are updated to the next level with the next update at no extra cost. Low price point - saves money.,,Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator CCHigh-quality Video Productions with Minimal EffortAs an instructor of a Career and Technical Education program specializing in Media Communications, Final Cut Pro X is one of the applications taught to and used by our students throughout the 2-year course. As part of our curriculum, students work with clients from local businesses and organizations to create video productions, commercials, and other video-based media. Final Cut Pro X, as one of the leading non-linear video editing applications, allows our students to create high-end productions that meet the quality requirements necessary to meet client needs.,User-friendly Interface High-quality built-in resources/templates Advanced Video Editing Features & Functionality One-time purchase (no subscriptions),Mac OS Only (Not available for Windows) Some advanced features / functionality is overly simplified.,7,FCPX is one of the two top leading industry software. Students have learned on the software used by professionals in the field.,Adobe Premiere Pro and iMovie,Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Flash, Wix, Adobe XD, Schoology, iMovie, UnityFinal Cut Pro X is a great return on investment!We use Final Cut Pro X to make training videos for various courses on our online training site. Final Cut Pro X is used in conjunction with Motion 5 for added visual effects. We also use Final Cut Pro X in creating promotional videos, marketing videos and educational videos for our YouTube channel.,Easy to use editing features. Very intuitive for the beginner. Quality DVD Authoring. Professional lighting correction. Professional color correction. Great sound editing.,Creating custom DVD menus definitely needs improving, although I realize that DVD production is declining. Uses up a lot of resources. This can be a problem if you are working on a laptop, especially an older one. Final Cut Pro X is constantly adding new and improved features. Because of this, the learning curve can be steep for certain aspects. I definitely recommend finding good tutorials to keep you up-to-date on how to use it.,10,Increased training video production by 50%. Increased professional quality of movies produced.,Adobe Premiere Pro and iMovie,Adobe Photoshop
Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X Reviews

Final Cut Pro X
Filter 31 vetted Final Cut Pro X reviews and ratings

Dave Becker profile photo
February 21, 2019

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Quality Video Production for Everyone"

• Final Cut Pro already has many of the extra features you would have to download for other video editing software already installed when you start. There's no need to go searching online for add-ons.
  • It's a really intuitive program to use, you just drag and drop the video where you want it or click and drag where you want to cut. This makes it easy to show new users how to get started.
  • You can layer many different audio channels, which gives you a lot of freedom to get your sound just right.
  • Final Cut has seemingly "crashed" in the middle of working on a few of our projects, and we weren't able to recover our progress. Starting from scratch after hours of work is not fun.
  • Although we haven't had a problem with it yet, it seems as though there are fewer exporting options than we expected. The major options are there, but it seems as though there should be more.
  • Exporting screenshots as jpegs is a disappointment with Final Cut Pro X. They don't export in HD. The workaround is to export as a png or tiff but it's annoying that you can't use jpeg.
If you want a straight forward video editing software with the ability to really fine-tune your audio and video, Final Cut Pro X is the option for you. If you're not the type to constantly save your work and keep back-ups of those saves, you might want to be wary of this.
Read Dave Becker's full review
Kyle Trail profile photo
March 01, 2019

Final Cut Pro X Review: "A cut above the rest"

• Real-time editing is beyond anything I've used prior. The ability to manipulate and change things while the timeline is still playing is remarkable.
  • The GUI of FCPX is above par in my opinion. Nothing else like it exists.
  • The application is the standard in the industry as it's as simple or as complex as required for a particular task. Don't believe me? Add on mO2 plugin and watch just how powerful it can be.
  • Keyboard shortcuts are pretty solid, but I'd like to map my own. I know there's some room for that, but I'd like to see a little more integration with the touchbar on FCPX. I mean manipulation on the touchbar to personalize.
I think it's well suited for almost anything. I believe you'll probably gonna step up to the big leagues with an Avid setup. I've used both and, to be honest, I don't see why other than you just have to adapt to others' systems at times.

They've edited and completed films in FCPX. I see no reason you cannot use it in any situation.
Read Kyle Trail's full review
Julio Ahumada  MBA profile photo
February 12, 2019

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Get in the content creation game with Final Cut X - X marks the spot"

• Composing a timeline to tell a story.
  • Workflow.
  • Ease of use.
  • In some respects, the layout was better in the previous version. Or maybe I got used to that.
  • Sometimes files get moved around and that would break the reference links. It would be great if Final Cut could send out a search party on its own to look for the missing files.
I always recommend Final Cut Pro to people. It's great for making videos for various aspects.
Read Julio Ahumada MBA's full review
Dan Talvi profile photo
February 03, 2019

Final Cut Pro X Review: "High-quality Video Productions with Minimal Effort"

• User-friendly Interface
  • High-quality built-in resources/templates
  • Advanced Video Editing Features & Functionality
  • One-time purchase (no subscriptions)
  • Mac OS Only (Not available for Windows)
  • Some advanced features / functionality is overly simplified.
Final Cut Pro X is a great video editing software for moderate video production enthusiasts. FCPX is a non-linear video editor, meaning users can cut, re-position, and layer audio and videos on a timeline. This allows the user maximum control when it comes to manipulating video footage to best suit the client's vision. Because FCPX is a moderate to expert video editing software, beginners may have difficulty taking full advantage of the software, but should still be able to assemble basic video productions.
Read Dan Talvi's full review
Shawngela Pierce profile photo
January 21, 2019

Review: "Final Cut Pro X is a great return on investment!"

• Easy to use editing features.
  • Very intuitive for the beginner.
  • Quality DVD Authoring.
  • Professional lighting correction.
  • Professional color correction.
  • Great sound editing.
  • Creating custom DVD menus definitely needs improving, although I realize that DVD production is declining.
  • Uses up a lot of resources. This can be a problem if you are working on a laptop, especially an older one.
  • Final Cut Pro X is constantly adding new and improved features. Because of this, the learning curve can be steep for certain aspects. I definitely recommend finding good tutorials to keep you up-to-date on how to use it.
Final Cut Pro X is an excellent software that I highly recommend to anyone. I have used Adobe but their design is far more complex. For a really simple workflow that just gets the job done quickly, I highly recommend Final Cut Pro X.

Final Cut Pro X may not be suited for beginners who have never edited videos before. I would recommend iMovie for those Mac users.
Read Shawngela Pierce's full review
Jeff Huisjen profile photo
January 04, 2019

Review: "Final Cut Pro X gets the job done quickly and efficiently!"

We mainly use Final Cut Pro to cut, edit, and correct our sermon videos which we upload to Vimeo and our website. Some of the other uses in our organization are to cut, edit, and correct videos that are shot to be used as promotional pieces, bumpers, and/or messages to certain groups in our congregation.
  • I find Final Cut Pro X fairly intuitive and easy to use. When I started using it years ago I was able to step easily into it with minimal instruction.
  • Final Cut Pro X integrates easily with programs like Handbrake or Compressor and also has options for automatic upload to video sites like YouTube or Vimeo.
  • Final Cut Pro X rarely crashed when I was using it, which if you have done any video editing, you know is a huge bonus!
  • The Final Cut Pro X Event/Project system could stand to be updated a bit, possibly the least intuitive part of the program.
  • If you're making the jump from Premiere Pro or another program like that you may find the transition to Final Cut to be a bit frustrating.
  • Some of the color correction options and preset formats seemed unnecessary and needlessly complex for what we used the program for.
Final Cut Pro X seemed to work best for me in doing quick project edits and finishing work. For us taking a recorded sermon, trimming, adding transitions, and doing some simple color correction and audio clean up... it was the perfect program. For longer, much larger projects it seemed to bog down a bit and some of the functionality struggled to do exactly what I wanted.
Read Jeff Huisjen's full review
Melissa Rivera profile photo
December 20, 2018

User Review: "Lights, Camera, Final Cut Pro X!"

I have used Final Cut Pro X to create promotional videos for events. I use it to create Vlogs. I have also used it to create short films. This program is only supported by Apple products, and is not a program for beginners. There are features that do not plainly explain what they do. This knowledge comes from trial & error, or research. If you are looking for a professional program to edit your videos, look no further. Final Cut keeps their software up to date so you don't encounter bugs.
  • Allow for detailed editing of sound and video separately.
  • ability to use preset filters or create your own
  • Use of a sound and music database
  • Create a PC version
  • Create a version for editing basics (simpler and friendlier for novices) with ability to upgrade
Final Cut Pro X is great for Mac users who are looking for more features than what is offered in iMovie. However, it may be complicated for anyone who has never edited videos before.
Read Melissa Rivera's full review
January 16, 2019

Review: "Final Cut Pro X...different..but better!"

We use Final Cut to capture, edit, and export video for use on our website, YouTube, and in our Sunday Services. Currently it's used only in our creative department on a weekly basis. It's incredibly helpful in getting our message out consistently and quickly to the hundreds of people that visit our website weekly.
  • Editing is quick and easy in FCPX. Many people aren't used to FCPX's different way of handling the timeline, but in reality there's incredible efficiency in the way that Final Cut edits.
  • Everything I need is right in the FCPX interface to help make our videos look the best that they can. And it's all relatively easy to use, even for people with limited experience with complicated editing tools.
  • Final cut also has great integration with Motion to create great title presets. We use several custom themed titles that we created and are easily able to add to each project that we need.
  • I would love for FCPX to increase it's audio capabilities. Currently, when shooting, I record audio live into Logic Pro X, then export and bring into FCPX. I'd love for Apple to build better integration between the two, or to build better tools in FCPX.
  • I'd also love a few more complex compositing tools to be built in. Most items from Motion cross over, but occasionally I have to use Motion for one tiny thing that could be added to FCPX.
Final Cut is fantastic for people who want an easy to use video editor from any level of experience. It's also a great way to save money over using Adobe Premiere, as you don't have a monthly subscription. It's not going to be useful to PC users as it's Mac only. It also may not be as useful to people that rely on After Effects as it doesn't work as smoothly as Premiere would.
Mike Garretson profile photo
August 08, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "FCPX - A Mac User's Video Editor"

I use Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) for video editing of instructor videos, promo videos and general video edits. I am one of just a few at my institution that uses FCPX. I usually help with any support needed from my co-workers who are newer to the FCPX workflow. FCPX is an Apple Software only available for Mac computers and is why only a few of my co-workers (those with MacBooks) use FCPX.
  • I feel like using FCPX on a Mac is a positive thing because the software was created specifically for the Mac and can use resources more efficiently.
  • Just like with most softwares, when you learn the workflow of the software allows you to organize and be more productive.
  • The video editing tools are pretty easy to get used to and allow for quicker editing sessions, especially when you start using the keyboard shortcuts.
  • Since the beginning, FCPX has had some major upgrades trying to get it back to where Final Cut Pro 7 ended at. It's finally getting there and adding other tools that are nice, but because it started from the ground up with a whole new redesign, it's taken a while and some other video editors had to use other softwares when FCPX wasn't able to handle their needs.
  • With any advanced software, the learning curve can be pretty steep, so reading up on the manual or finding good tutorials have been a lifesaver.
If I'm working with a video editor on a mac, I would definitely recommend FCPX. This software (like most professional softwares) has a TON of bells and whistles, so I would only recommend this for advanced video users or ones that want to become proficient in video editing. There are more basic video editors out there that could be recommended for those just needing basic editing tools.
Read Mike Garretson's full review
Horacio Carcamo profile photo
August 07, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Great video editor, easy to use and understand!"

Final Cut Pro is a video editor software that can edit any type of video, the only other thing you need is your creative instinct. We use it mainly for social media promotions editing, this can include products or service and it really helps because we avoid sending it to a studio or somewhere more expensive.
  • Comes with state of the art transitions which are easy to use and include in your project.
  • It has a great light and color correction toolbar.
  • You can edit up to 4K videos, it all depends on how fast your Mac is.
  • You will have a large number of plugins and add-ons.
  • It lags when a project is very extensive (20 min or more of 4K).
  • Layout is still outdated, it would work well with a new layout that could give a better comprehension of the features.
  • The timeline can be a little uncomfortable if it has different sources (several video and audio entries).
Final Cut Pro is perfect for video editing. I think that is where it stands out. What I wouldn't recommend to use Final Cut Pro for is photo editing, since this software does not come with the adequate features for a photo editor. Overall Final Cut Pro is a great software that gives a lot for the value.
Read Horacio Carcamo's full review
James Bishop profile photo
July 13, 2018

User Review: "Final Cut Pro X is the best!"

I utilize Final Cut Pro X to create everything from Facebook videos all the way to local TV spots. I manage the radio programming for the Union Gospel Mission and after mastering the vocal files in Adobe Audition, I manage editing and finishing the files in FCPX. UGM (Union Gospel Mission) produces a lot of video content and Final Cut Pro X helps streamline that process. I've used other software for video editing and FCPX is the most intuitive, feature-packed software for semi-pro editors looking to make the editing process quicker and easier.
  • With Final Cut Pro, the UI is very simple, even with all the features that it packs. This shaves off hours of editing time compared to other software that I've used. Not to mention that the layout and display of the features are impressively intuitive.
  • Final Cut Pro's magnetic timeline is something that you'll have to get used to if you're not familiar with it. It took me several months. Once I did, I realized how much I appreciated not having to "right-click" and "ripple delete" every few minutes. Layers still apply, but again, they are magnetically attached to the main layer and if it moves, so do the dependent files above and below.
  • The built-in audio editor and mastering tools are great. I've found them comparable to Adobe Audition for most needs. Again, FCPX has packed 99% of what you'll need all within one simple editing software - it saves so much time!!!
  • There are some small glitches that I experience every once in a while. For example, when expanding audio from video and changing the duration of that audio independently, if there is a transition applied to the video above, the audio when pulled exactly under the center of that transition will jump back to its original length, even though the cursor is far past that point. In order to overcome this, I have to pull the audio way past the center point of the transition, often farther than I want to. This can cause me to need to fuss with the audio so I don't clip needed sounds/vocals.
  • The syncing function for audio/video is great if you have just a single clip, but the program freaks out if I try to do more than a single a/v sync. It would be nice if this worked so that multiple clips for a single interview or session could all become a single "synced" file.
  • Another downfall of Final Cut Pro X is the file size of the libraries. FCPX has a file structure as follows: Library > Event > Project. Libraries are the house for many events and events hold individual video/audio projects. A typical library size is easily 50GB for a small project and up to over 500GB for a fall video campaign. This is with NOT copying the originals to a Final Cut location, but only referencing them from their original location.
I would say that the only application where FCPX might lack is for full, feature-length films. The color correction tool is a "lite" version and cannot handle editing 10-bit (or more) or RAW files color correcting. I use Colore Finale Pro to supplement this. The best use of this product is with shorter, even documentary-style videos that don't need deep, detailed color grading or extensive customization of the footage or project.
Read James Bishop's full review
Andrew Peterson profile photo
May 22, 2018

Review: "Final Cut Pro X - Easy, Efficient, Effective"

I am the only person in the organization using Final Cut Pro X. The program allows me to easily create videos/previews of videos and allows me to make changes based on what my uppers request. The program is incredibly efficient when combined with the correct type of MacBook and is easy enough to learn, so time is not wasted when video creation is in effect.
  • The render speed of Final Cut Pro X is incredible. Everything is rendered while you're working, so the exporting of a file does not take long.
  • The interface has a similar feel to iMovie, which is what I upgraded from, so it was easy to adjust to this new program. The learning curve of software can be a real barrier to entry to newcomers.
  • The color correction system is fantastic. With a recent update, Final Cut Pro X now allows full-blown color correction to your projects. It is much easier to get the same look across all clips than it used to be.
  • Final Cut Pro X does not go as deep in features as some other video editing software.
  • The "snap" feature needs to be turned off by default. It is a very handy feature for lining certain parts of clips up, but it can also become annoying and just in the way instead of being useful.
  • Information in clips can sometimes be slow to load. For example, sometimes the audio levels of my clips can take several moments to register and show up, even on a fairly powerful machine.
Final Cut Pro X is a very useful program for people that need to have a little bit more depth when editing videos for work or for casual use. Most people will not need something that has more features than Final Cut Pro X has. It is a very good piece of software for people that need to create video content, but don't need super intense features. Final Cut Pro X is also very good for people easily intimidated by software, as it has a very nice interface and is easy to learn.
Read Andrew Peterson's full review
Mark Armstrong profile photo
July 13, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Solid Choice for Video Editing"

We use Final Cut Pro X to produce professionally edited video to use for our publishers and our sales teams. Sales videos are usually 1-2 minutes and consist of a talking head and a few scenic b roll shots. Videos for our publishers vary from infographic style videos to interviews as well as story pieces to support published stories.
  • Workflow is set up nicely
  • Intuitive UI allows users to work quickly and efficiently
  • Easy to pick up the basics
  • It's too bad its only for Apple machines
  • If you change your workspace, it can be challenging to restore it
  • Specifying file structure wasn't the easiest
If you need a quick and dirty solution for video editing, FCPX is a great choice. If you need a fully produced video complete with transitions, effects, color grading, keyframing, and titles, it's also a great choice. This software can be used by a light user and a very serious user and will provide the toolbox needed for both to produce any project, start to finish.
Read Mark Armstrong's full review