Apple offers Final Cut Pro X, a video editing platform featuring optimized for a high performance machines and supporting a wide range of quality effects.FCPX - A Mac User's Video EditorI use Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) for video editing of instructor videos, promo videos and general video edits. I am one of just a few at my institution that uses FCPX. I usually help with any support needed from my co-workers who are newer to the FCPX workflow. FCPX is an Apple Software only available for Mac computers and is why only a few of my co-workers (those with MacBooks) use FCPX.,I feel like using FCPX on a Mac is a positive thing because the software was created specifically for the Mac and can use resources more efficiently. Just like with most softwares, when you learn the workflow of the software allows you to organize and be more productive. The video editing tools are pretty easy to get used to and allow for quicker editing sessions, especially when you start using the keyboard shortcuts.,Since the beginning, FCPX has had some major upgrades trying to get it back to where Final Cut Pro 7 ended at. It's finally getting there and adding other tools that are nice, but because it started from the ground up with a whole new redesign, it's taken a while and some other video editors had to use other softwares when FCPX wasn't able to handle their needs. With any advanced software, the learning curve can be pretty steep, so reading up on the manual or finding good tutorials have been a lifesaver.,10,I am able to get the final product out faster with FCPX on my mac. The faster I can edit, the faster projects get done and FCPX allows me to edit my projects quickly and efficiently.,CamtasiaGreat video editor, easy to use and understand!Final Cut Pro is a video editor software that can edit any type of video, the only other thing you need is your creative instinct. We use it mainly for social media promotions editing, this can include products or service and it really helps because we avoid sending it to a studio or somewhere more expensive.,Comes with state of the art transitions which are easy to use and include in your project. It has a great light and color correction toolbar. You can edit up to 4K videos, it all depends on how fast your Mac is. You will have a large number of plugins and add-ons.,It lags when a project is very extensive (20 min or more of 4K). Layout is still outdated, it would work well with a new layout that could give a better comprehension of the features. The timeline can be a little uncomfortable if it has different sources (several video and audio entries).,10,Has saved us on professional editing which turns out to be expensive. Further training is needed so it can take time to have the correct personnel managing this software. The features that come along with the software has helped us avoid purchasing equipment to solve issues that can be fixed in the software.,iMovie and Adobe Premiere Pro,iMovie, Adobe Premiere Pro, Google Analytics, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator CC,5,2,Product video editing. Upgradable resolution for visual merchandising. Audio edit.,Transform 1080p into 4K ability. Reach out to more customers by video platform media. Help others to create content.,For audio editing. Color balance edition. Diversify in product content creation.,10,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Third-party Reviews,I would focus first in the reviews before my purchase. The purchase process for Final Cut Pro was based on recommendation of the sales clerk, which it really was a good recommendation but we didn't have the opportunity to analyze or try out the other video editor software that were out on the market.,Implemented in-house,Change management was a big part of the implementation and was well-handled,Lack of knowledge of the UX. Cost of getting add-ons (effects, transitions). Time spent in training.,10,In-person training Self-taught,9,10,Easy to learn, no. But I would totally recommend this product for video editing. Even if it takes a lot to learn, this product is worth a lot to have. It eases the video editing role in a graphic or video designer making the person work with efficiency and quality in edits.,10,Not really, its just configuring like any other software.,No - we have not done any customization to the interface,No - we have not done any custom code,No, other than mention that the configuration for this software is very easy. It does not require high-end knowledge for configuring it.,10,No,Yes, I called for a key frame issue I was having, and the support team was very kind and took my issue with priority. They tried everything to resolve the issue that I had to share my screen so they could get into my computer, which I don't usually do, but I felt confident giving them that access.,The effects and transitions are very easy to use, usually it's drag and drop. The color board feature helps you fix low quality video. The way you add media to a timeline is very convenient as you only drop it into the timeline.,Key frames are very hard to understand and use. Audio edit might become a little bit confusing when starting to use it. Features for speeding or slowing media is quite difficulty to apply.,No,9,No,Change in the media edit. Different actions in edit, like effects. Layout is not that different, which is good.,Smooth performance. Diverse features. Up-to-date plugins and add-ons.,No,NoFinal Cut Pro X is the best!I utilize Final Cut Pro X to create everything from Facebook videos all the way to local TV spots. I manage the radio programming for the Union Gospel Mission and after mastering the vocal files in Adobe Audition, I manage editing and finishing the files in FCPX. UGM (Union Gospel Mission) produces a lot of video content and Final Cut Pro X helps streamline that process. I've used other software for video editing and FCPX is the most intuitive, feature-packed software for semi-pro editors looking to make the editing process quicker and easier.,With Final Cut Pro, the UI is very simple, even with all the features that it packs. This shaves off hours of editing time compared to other software that I've used. Not to mention that the layout and display of the features are impressively intuitive. Final Cut Pro's magnetic timeline is something that you'll have to get used to if you're not familiar with it. It took me several months. Once I did, I realized how much I appreciated not having to "right-click" and "ripple delete" every few minutes. Layers still apply, but again, they are magnetically attached to the main layer and if it moves, so do the dependent files above and below. The built-in audio editor and mastering tools are great. I've found them comparable to Adobe Audition for most needs. Again, FCPX has packed 99% of what you'll need all within one simple editing software - it saves so much time!!!,There are some small glitches that I experience every once in a while. For example, when expanding audio from video and changing the duration of that audio independently, if there is a transition applied to the video above, the audio when pulled exactly under the center of that transition will jump back to its original length, even though the cursor is far past that point. In order to overcome this, I have to pull the audio way past the center point of the transition, often farther than I want to. This can cause me to need to fuss with the audio so I don't clip needed sounds/vocals. The syncing function for audio/video is great if you have just a single clip, but the program freaks out if I try to do more than a single a/v sync. It would be nice if this worked so that multiple clips for a single interview or session could all become a single "synced" file. Another downfall of Final Cut Pro X is the file size of the libraries. FCPX has a file structure as follows: Library > Event > Project. Libraries are the house for many events and events hold individual video/audio projects. A typical library size is easily 50GB for a small project and up to over 500GB for a fall video campaign. This is with NOT copying the originals to a Final Cut location, but only referencing them from their original location.,8,The video projects I've worked on has been a part of an ongoing campaign for the last 4+ years and as part of that campaign has helped raise over 10 million dollars in that time. The highest engagement on social media is by far video. Having a platform to quickly create appealing content is essential when the task list is always getting longer, never shorter. I have brought in several inexperienced people to help do initial content cutting as a phase 1 of editing. Because of the intuitive setup of FCPX, I was able to train in just a few days, and in turn, saved many hours of labor with the help of the new volunteers. This software is easy to learn and easy to use, and saving time means more stuff done.,Adobe Premiere Pro and iMovie,Adobe Photoshop, Asana, Dropbox Business, Adobe Acrobat DC, WeTransfer, Microsoft Office 365Final Cut Pro X - Easy, Efficient, EffectiveI am the only person in the organization using Final Cut Pro X. The program allows me to easily create videos/previews of videos and allows me to make changes based on what my uppers request. The program is incredibly efficient when combined with the correct type of MacBook and is easy enough to learn, so time is not wasted when video creation is in effect.,The render speed of Final Cut Pro X is incredible. Everything is rendered while you're working, so the exporting of a file does not take long. The interface has a similar feel to iMovie, which is what I upgraded from, so it was easy to adjust to this new program. The learning curve of software can be a real barrier to entry to newcomers. The color correction system is fantastic. With a recent update, Final Cut Pro X now allows full-blown color correction to your projects. It is much easier to get the same look across all clips than it used to be.,Final Cut Pro X does not go as deep in features as some other video editing software. The "snap" feature needs to be turned off by default. It is a very handy feature for lining certain parts of clips up, but it can also become annoying and just in the way instead of being useful. Information in clips can sometimes be slow to load. For example, sometimes the audio levels of my clips can take several moments to register and show up, even on a fairly powerful machine.,9,Helps me to easily pump out content as needed without any real issues. Numbers on social posts from videos made in Final Cut Pro X are higher than those that are lazily thrown together and uploaded. Final Cut Pro X is a relatively cheap product and has yielded some much higher quality video content than other software options could provide.,iMovie,Microsoft Office 2016, ZoomSolid Choice for Video EditingWe use Final Cut Pro X to produce professionally edited video to use for our publishers and our sales teams. Sales videos are usually 1-2 minutes and consist of a talking head and a few scenic b roll shots. Videos for our publishers vary from infographic style videos to interviews as well as story pieces to support published stories.,Workflow is set up nicely Intuitive UI allows users to work quickly and efficiently Easy to pick up the basics,It's too bad its only for Apple machines If you change your workspace, it can be challenging to restore it Specifying file structure wasn't the easiest,8,We've been able to produce videos that have led to sales leads Videos that link to specific stories on our pages do well with advertising conversions We have made social media ads that have led to downloads of our apps,Adobe Premiere Pro,Adobe Photoshop, Slack
Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X Reviews

Final Cut Pro X
Filter 15 vetted Final Cut Pro X reviews and ratings
Mike Garretson profile photo
August 08, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "FCPX - A Mac User's Video Editor"

• I feel like using FCPX on a Mac is a positive thing because the software was created specifically for the Mac and can use resources more efficiently.
  • Just like with most softwares, when you learn the workflow of the software allows you to organize and be more productive.
  • The video editing tools are pretty easy to get used to and allow for quicker editing sessions, especially when you start using the keyboard shortcuts.
  • Since the beginning, FCPX has had some major upgrades trying to get it back to where Final Cut Pro 7 ended at. It's finally getting there and adding other tools that are nice, but because it started from the ground up with a whole new redesign, it's taken a while and some other video editors had to use other softwares when FCPX wasn't able to handle their needs.
  • With any advanced software, the learning curve can be pretty steep, so reading up on the manual or finding good tutorials have been a lifesaver.
If I'm working with a video editor on a mac, I would definitely recommend FCPX. This software (like most professional softwares) has a TON of bells and whistles, so I would only recommend this for advanced video users or ones that want to become proficient in video editing. There are more basic video editors out there that could be recommended for those just needing basic editing tools.
Read Mike Garretson's full review
Horacio Carcamo profile photo
August 07, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Great video editor, easy to use and understand!"

• Comes with state of the art transitions which are easy to use and include in your project.
  • It has a great light and color correction toolbar.
  • You can edit up to 4K videos, it all depends on how fast your Mac is.
  • You will have a large number of plugins and add-ons.
  • It lags when a project is very extensive (20 min or more of 4K).
  • Layout is still outdated, it would work well with a new layout that could give a better comprehension of the features.
  • The timeline can be a little uncomfortable if it has different sources (several video and audio entries).
Final Cut Pro is perfect for video editing. I think that is where it stands out. What I wouldn't recommend to use Final Cut Pro for is photo editing, since this software does not come with the adequate features for a photo editor. Overall Final Cut Pro is a great software that gives a lot for the value.
Read Horacio Carcamo's full review
James Bishop profile photo
July 13, 2018

User Review: "Final Cut Pro X is the best!"

• With Final Cut Pro, the UI is very simple, even with all the features that it packs. This shaves off hours of editing time compared to other software that I've used. Not to mention that the layout and display of the features are impressively intuitive.
  • Final Cut Pro's magnetic timeline is something that you'll have to get used to if you're not familiar with it. It took me several months. Once I did, I realized how much I appreciated not having to "right-click" and "ripple delete" every few minutes. Layers still apply, but again, they are magnetically attached to the main layer and if it moves, so do the dependent files above and below.
  • The built-in audio editor and mastering tools are great. I've found them comparable to Adobe Audition for most needs. Again, FCPX has packed 99% of what you'll need all within one simple editing software - it saves so much time!!!
  • There are some small glitches that I experience every once in a while. For example, when expanding audio from video and changing the duration of that audio independently, if there is a transition applied to the video above, the audio when pulled exactly under the center of that transition will jump back to its original length, even though the cursor is far past that point. In order to overcome this, I have to pull the audio way past the center point of the transition, often farther than I want to. This can cause me to need to fuss with the audio so I don't clip needed sounds/vocals.
  • The syncing function for audio/video is great if you have just a single clip, but the program freaks out if I try to do more than a single a/v sync. It would be nice if this worked so that multiple clips for a single interview or session could all become a single "synced" file.
  • Another downfall of Final Cut Pro X is the file size of the libraries. FCPX has a file structure as follows: Library > Event > Project. Libraries are the house for many events and events hold individual video/audio projects. A typical library size is easily 50GB for a small project and up to over 500GB for a fall video campaign. This is with NOT copying the originals to a Final Cut location, but only referencing them from their original location.
I would say that the only application where FCPX might lack is for full, feature-length films. The color correction tool is a "lite" version and cannot handle editing 10-bit (or more) or RAW files color correcting. I use Colore Finale Pro to supplement this. The best use of this product is with shorter, even documentary-style videos that don't need deep, detailed color grading or extensive customization of the footage or project.
Read James Bishop's full review
Andrew Peterson profile photo
May 22, 2018

Review: "Final Cut Pro X - Easy, Efficient, Effective"

• The render speed of Final Cut Pro X is incredible. Everything is rendered while you're working, so the exporting of a file does not take long.
  • The interface has a similar feel to iMovie, which is what I upgraded from, so it was easy to adjust to this new program. The learning curve of software can be a real barrier to entry to newcomers.
  • The color correction system is fantastic. With a recent update, Final Cut Pro X now allows full-blown color correction to your projects. It is much easier to get the same look across all clips than it used to be.
  • Final Cut Pro X does not go as deep in features as some other video editing software.
  • The "snap" feature needs to be turned off by default. It is a very handy feature for lining certain parts of clips up, but it can also become annoying and just in the way instead of being useful.
  • Information in clips can sometimes be slow to load. For example, sometimes the audio levels of my clips can take several moments to register and show up, even on a fairly powerful machine.
Final Cut Pro X is a very useful program for people that need to have a little bit more depth when editing videos for work or for casual use. Most people will not need something that has more features than Final Cut Pro X has. It is a very good piece of software for people that need to create video content, but don't need super intense features. Final Cut Pro X is also very good for people easily intimidated by software, as it has a very nice interface and is easy to learn.
Read Andrew Peterson's full review
Mark Armstrong profile photo
July 13, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Solid Choice for Video Editing"

• Workflow is set up nicely
  • Intuitive UI allows users to work quickly and efficiently
  • Easy to pick up the basics
  • It's too bad its only for Apple machines
  • If you change your workspace, it can be challenging to restore it
  • Specifying file structure wasn't the easiest
If you need a quick and dirty solution for video editing, FCPX is a great choice. If you need a fully produced video complete with transitions, effects, color grading, keyframing, and titles, it's also a great choice. This software can be used by a light user and a very serious user and will provide the toolbox needed for both to produce any project, start to finish.
Read Mark Armstrong's full review