Apple offers Final Cut Pro X, a video editing platform featuring optimized for a high performance machines and supporting a wide range of quality effects.Final Cut Pro X gets the job done quickly and efficiently!We mainly use Final Cut Pro to cut, edit, and correct our sermon videos which we upload to Vimeo and our website. Some of the other uses in our organization are to cut, edit, and correct videos that are shot to be used as promotional pieces, bumpers, and/or messages to certain groups in our congregation.,I find Final Cut Pro X fairly intuitive and easy to use. When I started using it years ago I was able to step easily into it with minimal instruction. Final Cut Pro X integrates easily with programs like Handbrake or Compressor and also has options for automatic upload to video sites like YouTube or Vimeo. Final Cut Pro X rarely crashed when I was using it, which if you have done any video editing, you know is a huge bonus!,The Final Cut Pro X Event/Project system could stand to be updated a bit, possibly the least intuitive part of the program. If you're making the jump from Premiere Pro or another program like that you may find the transition to Final Cut to be a bit frustrating. Some of the color correction options and preset formats seemed unnecessary and needlessly complex for what we used the program for.,8,Like I said before, Final Cut is fairly intuitive to use and can handle the small tweaking we needed to do to raw video quite easily, this allowed for a quick turn around time on our videos. Some of our staff primarily used Premiere and the transition for them took more time than was initially anticipated.,Adobe Premiere Pro,Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Acrobat DCFCPX - A Mac User's Video EditorI use Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) for video editing of instructor videos, promo videos and general video edits. I am one of just a few at my institution that uses FCPX. I usually help with any support needed from my co-workers who are newer to the FCPX workflow. FCPX is an Apple Software only available for Mac computers and is why only a few of my co-workers (those with MacBooks) use FCPX.,I feel like using FCPX on a Mac is a positive thing because the software was created specifically for the Mac and can use resources more efficiently. Just like with most softwares, when you learn the workflow of the software allows you to organize and be more productive. The video editing tools are pretty easy to get used to and allow for quicker editing sessions, especially when you start using the keyboard shortcuts.,Since the beginning, FCPX has had some major upgrades trying to get it back to where Final Cut Pro 7 ended at. It's finally getting there and adding other tools that are nice, but because it started from the ground up with a whole new redesign, it's taken a while and some other video editors had to use other softwares when FCPX wasn't able to handle their needs. With any advanced software, the learning curve can be pretty steep, so reading up on the manual or finding good tutorials have been a lifesaver.,10,I am able to get the final product out faster with FCPX on my mac. The faster I can edit, the faster projects get done and FCPX allows me to edit my projects quickly and efficiently.,CamtasiaGreat video editor, easy to use and understand!Final Cut Pro is a video editor software that can edit any type of video, the only other thing you need is your creative instinct. We use it mainly for social media promotions editing, this can include products or service and it really helps because we avoid sending it to a studio or somewhere more expensive.,Comes with state of the art transitions which are easy to use and include in your project. It has a great light and color correction toolbar. You can edit up to 4K videos, it all depends on how fast your Mac is. You will have a large number of plugins and add-ons.,It lags when a project is very extensive (20 min or more of 4K). Layout is still outdated, it would work well with a new layout that could give a better comprehension of the features. The timeline can be a little uncomfortable if it has different sources (several video and audio entries).,10,Has saved us on professional editing which turns out to be expensive. Further training is needed so it can take time to have the correct personnel managing this software. The features that come along with the software has helped us avoid purchasing equipment to solve issues that can be fixed in the software.,iMovie and Adobe Premiere Pro,iMovie, Adobe Premiere Pro, Google Analytics, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator CC,5,2,Product video editing. Upgradable resolution for visual merchandising. Audio edit.,Transform 1080p into 4K ability. Reach out to more customers by video platform media. Help others to create content.,For audio editing. Color balance edition. Diversify in product content creation.,10,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Third-party Reviews,I would focus first in the reviews before my purchase. The purchase process for Final Cut Pro was based on recommendation of the sales clerk, which it really was a good recommendation but we didn't have the opportunity to analyze or try out the other video editor software that were out on the market.,Implemented in-house,Change management was a big part of the implementation and was well-handled,Lack of knowledge of the UX. Cost of getting add-ons (effects, transitions). Time spent in training.,10,In-person training Self-taught,9,10,Easy to learn, no. But I would totally recommend this product for video editing. Even if it takes a lot to learn, this product is worth a lot to have. It eases the video editing role in a graphic or video designer making the person work with efficiency and quality in edits.,10,Not really, its just configuring like any other software.,No - we have not done any customization to the interface,No - we have not done any custom code,No, other than mention that the configuration for this software is very easy. It does not require high-end knowledge for configuring it.,10,No,Yes, I called for a key frame issue I was having, and the support team was very kind and took my issue with priority. They tried everything to resolve the issue that I had to share my screen so they could get into my computer, which I don't usually do, but I felt confident giving them that access.,The effects and transitions are very easy to use, usually it's drag and drop. The color board feature helps you fix low quality video. The way you add media to a timeline is very convenient as you only drop it into the timeline.,Key frames are very hard to understand and use. Audio edit might become a little bit confusing when starting to use it. Features for speeding or slowing media is quite difficulty to apply.,No,9,No,Change in the media edit. Different actions in edit, like effects. Layout is not that different, which is good.,Smooth performance. Diverse features. Up-to-date plugins and add-ons.,No,NoLights, Camera, Final Cut Pro X!I have used Final Cut Pro X to create promotional videos for events. I use it to create Vlogs. I have also used it to create short films. This program is only supported by Apple products, and is not a program for beginners. There are features that do not plainly explain what they do. This knowledge comes from trial & error, or research. If you are looking for a professional program to edit your videos, look no further. Final Cut keeps their software up to date so you don't encounter bugs.,Allow for detailed editing of sound and video separately. ability to use preset filters or create your own Use of a sound and music database,Create a PC version Create a version for editing basics (simpler and friendlier for novices) with ability to upgrade,10,Increased Attendance at events promoted using videos Keeping up with social media and technology. Customers appreciate when a place keeps up with trends.Final Cut Pro X...different..but better!We use Final Cut to capture, edit, and export video for use on our website, YouTube, and in our Sunday Services. Currently it's used only in our creative department on a weekly basis. It's incredibly helpful in getting our message out consistently and quickly to the hundreds of people that visit our website weekly.,Editing is quick and easy in FCPX. Many people aren't used to FCPX's different way of handling the timeline, but in reality there's incredible efficiency in the way that Final Cut edits. Everything I need is right in the FCPX interface to help make our videos look the best that they can. And it's all relatively easy to use, even for people with limited experience with complicated editing tools. Final cut also has great integration with Motion to create great title presets. We use several custom themed titles that we created and are easily able to add to each project that we need.,I would love for FCPX to increase it's audio capabilities. Currently, when shooting, I record audio live into Logic Pro X, then export and bring into FCPX. I'd love for Apple to build better integration between the two, or to build better tools in FCPX. I'd also love a few more complex compositing tools to be built in. Most items from Motion cross over, but occasionally I have to use Motion for one tiny thing that could be added to FCPX.,10,Having an easy to use editor helps me save time, and in turn save my organization money. Final cut is also simple enough to train volunteers on, which allows more projects to be completed by less trained workers :),Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve
Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X Reviews

Final Cut Pro X
Filter 26 vetted Final Cut Pro X reviews and ratings

Jeff Huisjen profile photo
January 04, 2019

Review: "Final Cut Pro X gets the job done quickly and efficiently!"

• I find Final Cut Pro X fairly intuitive and easy to use. When I started using it years ago I was able to step easily into it with minimal instruction.
  • Final Cut Pro X integrates easily with programs like Handbrake or Compressor and also has options for automatic upload to video sites like YouTube or Vimeo.
  • Final Cut Pro X rarely crashed when I was using it, which if you have done any video editing, you know is a huge bonus!
  • The Final Cut Pro X Event/Project system could stand to be updated a bit, possibly the least intuitive part of the program.
  • If you're making the jump from Premiere Pro or another program like that you may find the transition to Final Cut to be a bit frustrating.
  • Some of the color correction options and preset formats seemed unnecessary and needlessly complex for what we used the program for.
Final Cut Pro X seemed to work best for me in doing quick project edits and finishing work. For us taking a recorded sermon, trimming, adding transitions, and doing some simple color correction and audio clean up... it was the perfect program. For longer, much larger projects it seemed to bog down a bit and some of the functionality struggled to do exactly what I wanted.
Read Jeff Huisjen's full review
Mike Garretson profile photo
August 08, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "FCPX - A Mac User's Video Editor"

• I feel like using FCPX on a Mac is a positive thing because the software was created specifically for the Mac and can use resources more efficiently.
  • Just like with most softwares, when you learn the workflow of the software allows you to organize and be more productive.
  • The video editing tools are pretty easy to get used to and allow for quicker editing sessions, especially when you start using the keyboard shortcuts.
  • Since the beginning, FCPX has had some major upgrades trying to get it back to where Final Cut Pro 7 ended at. It's finally getting there and adding other tools that are nice, but because it started from the ground up with a whole new redesign, it's taken a while and some other video editors had to use other softwares when FCPX wasn't able to handle their needs.
  • With any advanced software, the learning curve can be pretty steep, so reading up on the manual or finding good tutorials have been a lifesaver.
If I'm working with a video editor on a mac, I would definitely recommend FCPX. This software (like most professional softwares) has a TON of bells and whistles, so I would only recommend this for advanced video users or ones that want to become proficient in video editing. There are more basic video editors out there that could be recommended for those just needing basic editing tools.
Read Mike Garretson's full review
Horacio Carcamo profile photo
August 07, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Great video editor, easy to use and understand!"

• Comes with state of the art transitions which are easy to use and include in your project.
  • It has a great light and color correction toolbar.
  • You can edit up to 4K videos, it all depends on how fast your Mac is.
  • You will have a large number of plugins and add-ons.
  • It lags when a project is very extensive (20 min or more of 4K).
  • Layout is still outdated, it would work well with a new layout that could give a better comprehension of the features.
  • The timeline can be a little uncomfortable if it has different sources (several video and audio entries).
Final Cut Pro is perfect for video editing. I think that is where it stands out. What I wouldn't recommend to use Final Cut Pro for is photo editing, since this software does not come with the adequate features for a photo editor. Overall Final Cut Pro is a great software that gives a lot for the value.
Read Horacio Carcamo's full review
Melissa Rivera profile photo
December 20, 2018

User Review: "Lights, Camera, Final Cut Pro X!"

• Allow for detailed editing of sound and video separately.
  • ability to use preset filters or create your own
  • Use of a sound and music database
  • Create a PC version
  • Create a version for editing basics (simpler and friendlier for novices) with ability to upgrade
Final Cut Pro X is great for Mac users who are looking for more features than what is offered in iMovie. However, it may be complicated for anyone who has never edited videos before.
Read Melissa Rivera's full review
January 16, 2019

Review: "Final Cut Pro X...different..but better!"

• Editing is quick and easy in FCPX. Many people aren't used to FCPX's different way of handling the timeline, but in reality there's incredible efficiency in the way that Final Cut edits.
  • Everything I need is right in the FCPX interface to help make our videos look the best that they can. And it's all relatively easy to use, even for people with limited experience with complicated editing tools.
  • Final cut also has great integration with Motion to create great title presets. We use several custom themed titles that we created and are easily able to add to each project that we need.
  • I would love for FCPX to increase it's audio capabilities. Currently, when shooting, I record audio live into Logic Pro X, then export and bring into FCPX. I'd love for Apple to build better integration between the two, or to build better tools in FCPX.
  • I'd also love a few more complex compositing tools to be built in. Most items from Motion cross over, but occasionally I have to use Motion for one tiny thing that could be added to FCPX.
Final Cut is fantastic for people who want an easy to use video editor from any level of experience. It's also a great way to save money over using Adobe Premiere, as you don't have a monthly subscription. It's not going to be useful to PC users as it's Mac only. It also may not be as useful to people that rely on After Effects as it doesn't work as smoothly as Premiere would.
James Bishop profile photo
July 13, 2018

User Review: "Final Cut Pro X is the best!"

I utilize Final Cut Pro X to create everything from Facebook videos all the way to local TV spots. I manage the radio programming for the Union Gospel Mission and after mastering the vocal files in Adobe Audition, I manage editing and finishing the files in FCPX. UGM (Union Gospel Mission) produces a lot of video content and Final Cut Pro X helps streamline that process. I've used other software for video editing and FCPX is the most intuitive, feature-packed software for semi-pro editors looking to make the editing process quicker and easier.
  • With Final Cut Pro, the UI is very simple, even with all the features that it packs. This shaves off hours of editing time compared to other software that I've used. Not to mention that the layout and display of the features are impressively intuitive.
  • Final Cut Pro's magnetic timeline is something that you'll have to get used to if you're not familiar with it. It took me several months. Once I did, I realized how much I appreciated not having to "right-click" and "ripple delete" every few minutes. Layers still apply, but again, they are magnetically attached to the main layer and if it moves, so do the dependent files above and below.
  • The built-in audio editor and mastering tools are great. I've found them comparable to Adobe Audition for most needs. Again, FCPX has packed 99% of what you'll need all within one simple editing software - it saves so much time!!!
  • There are some small glitches that I experience every once in a while. For example, when expanding audio from video and changing the duration of that audio independently, if there is a transition applied to the video above, the audio when pulled exactly under the center of that transition will jump back to its original length, even though the cursor is far past that point. In order to overcome this, I have to pull the audio way past the center point of the transition, often farther than I want to. This can cause me to need to fuss with the audio so I don't clip needed sounds/vocals.
  • The syncing function for audio/video is great if you have just a single clip, but the program freaks out if I try to do more than a single a/v sync. It would be nice if this worked so that multiple clips for a single interview or session could all become a single "synced" file.
  • Another downfall of Final Cut Pro X is the file size of the libraries. FCPX has a file structure as follows: Library > Event > Project. Libraries are the house for many events and events hold individual video/audio projects. A typical library size is easily 50GB for a small project and up to over 500GB for a fall video campaign. This is with NOT copying the originals to a Final Cut location, but only referencing them from their original location.
I would say that the only application where FCPX might lack is for full, feature-length films. The color correction tool is a "lite" version and cannot handle editing 10-bit (or more) or RAW files color correcting. I use Colore Finale Pro to supplement this. The best use of this product is with shorter, even documentary-style videos that don't need deep, detailed color grading or extensive customization of the footage or project.
Read James Bishop's full review
Andrew Peterson profile photo
May 22, 2018

Review: "Final Cut Pro X - Easy, Efficient, Effective"

I am the only person in the organization using Final Cut Pro X. The program allows me to easily create videos/previews of videos and allows me to make changes based on what my uppers request. The program is incredibly efficient when combined with the correct type of MacBook and is easy enough to learn, so time is not wasted when video creation is in effect.
  • The render speed of Final Cut Pro X is incredible. Everything is rendered while you're working, so the exporting of a file does not take long.
  • The interface has a similar feel to iMovie, which is what I upgraded from, so it was easy to adjust to this new program. The learning curve of software can be a real barrier to entry to newcomers.
  • The color correction system is fantastic. With a recent update, Final Cut Pro X now allows full-blown color correction to your projects. It is much easier to get the same look across all clips than it used to be.
  • Final Cut Pro X does not go as deep in features as some other video editing software.
  • The "snap" feature needs to be turned off by default. It is a very handy feature for lining certain parts of clips up, but it can also become annoying and just in the way instead of being useful.
  • Information in clips can sometimes be slow to load. For example, sometimes the audio levels of my clips can take several moments to register and show up, even on a fairly powerful machine.
Final Cut Pro X is a very useful program for people that need to have a little bit more depth when editing videos for work or for casual use. Most people will not need something that has more features than Final Cut Pro X has. It is a very good piece of software for people that need to create video content, but don't need super intense features. Final Cut Pro X is also very good for people easily intimidated by software, as it has a very nice interface and is easy to learn.
Read Andrew Peterson's full review
Mark Armstrong profile photo
July 13, 2018

Final Cut Pro X Review: "Solid Choice for Video Editing"

We use Final Cut Pro X to produce professionally edited video to use for our publishers and our sales teams. Sales videos are usually 1-2 minutes and consist of a talking head and a few scenic b roll shots. Videos for our publishers vary from infographic style videos to interviews as well as story pieces to support published stories.
  • Workflow is set up nicely
  • Intuitive UI allows users to work quickly and efficiently
  • Easy to pick up the basics
  • It's too bad its only for Apple machines
  • If you change your workspace, it can be challenging to restore it
  • Specifying file structure wasn't the easiest
If you need a quick and dirty solution for video editing, FCPX is a great choice. If you need a fully produced video complete with transitions, effects, color grading, keyframing, and titles, it's also a great choice. This software can be used by a light user and a very serious user and will provide the toolbox needed for both to produce any project, start to finish.
Read Mark Armstrong's full review