Reviews (1-9 of 9)
February 18, 2020
Score 8 out of 10
Our accounting team uses Financial Edge daily. Our senior management across departments accesses reports directly on a bi-weekly basis. We import Altru general ledger entries into Financial Edge. It addresses our accounting, internal controls, and business needs.
Read William (Bill) Sanders, CPA's full review
- Financial Edge is well suited for traditional day to day accounting, accounts payable, and related needs.
- Financial Edge dashboard does not provide a snapshot view of data that I have found are available through other platforms (like QBO).
Financial Edge is our accounting system. We use Financial Edge across our entire organization.
Read Jennifer Bradshaw's full review
I love Financial Edge for non-profit accounting. The integration between RE and FE (when implemented correctly) makes running donations between the donor data base and the financial system seamless. Financial Edge has built a great web based version (NXT) which is much easier for users with little to no experience with the system to pick up. I just implemented the fixed asset module eliminating a huge Excel spreadsheet and it went very well. Our first month recording depreciation through the system was a breeze.
January 10, 2020
Financial Edge is primarily utilized by our Development Office for planning and tracking of fundraising, philanthropic gifts, and event planning. As a non-profit organization, Financial Edge is useful in recording the financial success of fundraising activities, and overall donations (monetary and otherwise) provided on a monthly and annual basis. Reporting, tracking, and expenses are also managed in FE.
- Single-place to record all donations gifts to organization.
- Tracking and follow up for philanthropic gifts and endowments is user-friendly.
- Metrics in the reporting features could be enhanced to allow for cross-year/event comparisons.
- It does not allow for single-sign-on from other platforms, requiring additional keystrokes for access/exit.
Read this authenticated review
Financial Edge works well for small to medium-sized non-profit organizations. It allows for good data management of donations, gifts, endowments, and managing budgets for event planning. For larger organizations with more complex funding sources, FE does not provide advanced reporting features; albeit it is possible these were not included in our organization's particular subscription feature.
Financial Edge is used to create purchase orders, invoices, and process payments.
Read this authenticated review
It is easy to look up vendors to see how items are coded if they have been receipted. It is also easy to create new vendors and add in general ledger codes.
Financial edge is used as the financial, accounting software for my organization. It is also used for subsidiary corporations. We are able to track debits and credits, provide balances for departments across the university campus, examine budgeting scenarios and reporting. We utilize a number of candid reports but also have built a number of custom reports.
- Financial edge is able to be customized in a way that fits our organization.
- Financial edge is able to provide reports to our end-users on budget versus actual account balances.
- Financial edge is able to handle a large volume of transactions with ease, having built-in capabilities for batching and balancing.
- While the program is highly customizable, it would be helpful if there was more direction on best practices of how to set everything up.
- Expand on reporting.
- Ability to report on "open" years.
Read Stephanie Ulmer's full review
Financial edge is great for tracking revenue and expenses for specific donor-designated gifts. It is easy to create projects for each designation that allows for tracking and reporting. I would like to see some expansion in reporting based on projects. We currently have built custom reports for reporting to our end-users and donors on project balances.
Financial Edge is the premier nonprofit software I have worked with. It allows for deep segmenting and analysis of expenses as well as grant management. If an organization has two or more grants, I highly recommend Financial Edge to them. One of the better features is dashboards that allow department or team managers to quickly review their budgets and expenses at a glance without burdening the accounting team.
- Grant Management - nothing is more harrowing than grant reporting, and FE does it best. It allows for layered budgets and limitless division of expenses among grants, overhead, or other projects/programs.
- Reporting - Most financial software tries to adapt for-profit accounting into a non-profit mode without addressing the unique needs of a nonprofit for reporting and auditing.
- Multiple projects and/or cost centers within a budget and system - nothing is more challenging than trying to manage expenses over several cost centers and FE is a champ at allowing that complexity.
- Not for "out of the box" users - Financial Edge is a great system, but implementation requires support or even an consultant. You want to make sure you have set it up correctly - not duplicating what you have always done, but in a way that makes the robust reporting in FE work for you.
- Better exported reports - Reports exported to Excel always seem to have too many lines and columns as well as at least one column that is off one cell to the right. Not a huge issue, but it takes a little time to reformat.
Read Wendy Johnson's full review
Financial Edge is ideal for the $1m to $10m budget organization. Those who are smaller or larger (or more complex) may want to consider another system.
October 25, 2017
Score 10 out of 10
We use Financial Edge in our business department to serve the accounting and finance needs of our organization. We utilize the General ledger, Accounts Payable, and Fixed Asset Modules. Since our organization has two entities, Financial Edge enables us to manage the finances of both business entities within one system and we are able to house reports and other information in one location. This makes it easy for us to retrieve information requested from our department and enables all users of the system to pull reports in the event someone is out of the office, making our processes more timely and efficient.
- F-9 Reporting is a great tool. We are able to build custom financials for our Finance Committees and Board of Directors and choose how we want to present information to these parties.
- The AP Module is easy to use and has a "common sense" format.
- The ability to reference various dates/periods in one journal entry is awesome!
- In the list view of Journal Entries, it would be great if we could see the post date in addition to the date added.
- Fixed Asset module is not set up for some unique scenarios (removing a previously "acquired asset" that was not necessarily disposed of, but place in FA in error).
- Reporting within the FE application is not so great, so F-9 saves the day with respect to reporting.
Read Sunny Reed's full review
We would like to eventually have an all-in-one solution for billing/AR. We are a membership organization and currently have to host an additional database for billing, then post those transactions to FE. For this reason, we do not feel Financial Edge is best-suited for our accounts receivable needs; as we still have to incur costs associated with hosting another database to do what we need to do. On-the-other-hand, Accounts Payable module works well for our business needs. We primarily process check payments and bank drafts and this module makes it easy to manage payments and correcting errors (i.e. deleting invoices or reprinting a check that did not print properly) is fairly simple.
March 21, 2017
Score 9 out of 10
The modules that make up Financial Edge (General Ledger, Accounts Payable, and Student Billing) are used by finance. The Student Billing module is also used by the Registrar's Office.
- Data entry - detailed, but straightforward.
- Query - very powerful and easy to use.
- Overall, the interface looks like something from the early 90s. Users tend to fight the interface until they get used to doing their particular tasks. However, once they know how to make it work in one area, the interface is very similar across the program.
Read Petra Hall's full review
Mostly I deal with student tuition tracking and reporting on donations imported from other products, such as the Blackbaud development software: The Raiser's Edge. Financial Edge is fairly good at tracking the complexities of fees and financial aid, but it can't email invoices to the parents and does not allow for payments to be processed automatically according to a payment plan.
April 12, 2018
Financial Edge is being used by our Finance Department for all of the Financial needs. It hasn't really solved any business problems for our organization. However, It does the job of an accounting system.
- Financial Edge does a great job at pulling up reports in the general ledger.
- Financial Edge is great if you have simple accounting needs.
- Financial Edge makes entering A/P fairly easy.
- Financial Edge should not allow for there to have multiple invoices with the same invoice number
- Financial Edge should be more user-friendly when looking for information
- Financial Edge should allow more options for financial reporting
Read this authenticated review
Financial Edge is suitable for smaller companies who have easy accounting entries. However, it does not allow there to be room for making entries customization.