Formstack: "A versatile and powerful tool for integrating contact forms and surveys into just about anything."
We support many different frameworks and CMS solutions. Some of them have nice form solutions built in, and others don't. None of them are very consistent with each other. FormStack solves that, and wherever we have a web platform that doesn't have a good form system, we build out that site's contact forms on FormStack and embed them.
- Allows the visual building of generic forms that can easily fit into any website and that don't have to be created by a web developer.
- Offers fairly advanced conditions and automation scenarios that can occur, allowing for some complex form logic.
- Allows a choice of themes as well as the ability to override the form styling in your site's own CSS.
- The themes that come with FormStack don't look particularly good to me. We usually end up going with the most plain-looking one so that it's easiest to override with CSS, but it would be nice if there were really generic themes that would better fit in with an existing site and look more modern without as much CSS overriding being required.
- You can do a lot with the form logic in FormStack, but if you're used to having full control of the form output in a server language such as PHP, there it can be a big change having to think about things in terms of what you're able to accomplish through the FormStack UI. There are a lot of options, but it will probably never be as flexible as actually building a form yourself (but it sure is easier!).
- Internally within a form, the layout options are pretty limited. We have a lot of cases where we have custom-designed forms that are supposed to have some fields next to each other, or multiple columns of fields, etc. In those cases, using custom CSS to try and make those changes is usually the best answer, but it would be great if a non-developer had more layout options for form fields.
- Very intuitive and simple use, while offering a lot of advanced features that offer a lot of control.
- The conditional logic features allow us to build complex forms that walk users through a process, dynamically showing or hiding fields based on their previous selections.
- Simple and seamless payment integrations.
- The Wordpress plugin had been a bit fickle (but I think they have improved this recently).
- Date and time fields cannot be used to trigger conditions (would come in VERY handy for an institution working with a lot of
- The number of clicks in and out of different screen to finish setting up, say a custom email response, can be a bit tedious sometimes.
- Formstack is excellent for a simple UX style form. Users will never have trouble navigating these forms or understanding what is needed.
- Formstack is great for integrating with other solutions companies may use. This makes them a great addition to your overall workflow.
- The Formstack team is great at helping to provide ideas for how you can use their forms to improve your workflows. They are constantly releasing new features and services along with best practices for using them.
- From our standpoint, as an integration partner, it would be great to get more functionality out of our test users. We are constantly having to QA how Formstack is working with Octiv and our test users don't have the full functionality as our production user accounts.
- More reporting flexibility would be great, although it's hard to point to anyone else in this space who is doing it better.
Formstack essentially replaced our IT department's role of creating custom forms and database solutions, so they can focus on more appropriate and important tasks.
- Ease of setup - we can create something almost immediately.
- Conditional logic - enables the shortest form possible to be presented to the user, so forms can be comprehensive, but users only see the fields they need.
- Themes - allow us to make a form look exactly how we want them to look.
- Embedding - forms easily embed into our website, making the presentation seamless.
- Integrations - allow our users to harness submission data in the ways that they need.
- Sometimes how to integrate with 3rd parties isn't super obvious.
Our International Admission department has a pre-app form to capture interested international students as they begin our complex application process. The department is able to help guide them through that process by exporting their names from Formstack and comparing that list to an internal list of incomplete applications. They also integrate the form with Mailchimp to be able to communicate deadlines, important College information, etc.
- Ease of use in creating forms. For a non-tech person like myself, the learning curve is brief and form creating becomes more intuitive
- The interface options are many and relatively easy to configure.
- Templates are clean, crisp and easy to work with.
- I could see the help options improved by having clarifying instructions (or short tutorials) present as forms are being created so one doesn't have to leave a form to find help.
- We manage several smaller associations who have recurring events. Combining this with Stripe allows us to embed a professional looking form onto an existing website without having to pay for a third party event registration platform.
- Reusable templates, ability to copy forms, fields and sections allow us to deploy recurring forms quickly and accurately.
- 3rd party integrations solves many of our problems such as payment gateway (Stripe), coupons and reviews. We use reviews for membership applications which we really find very useful.
- The logic feature is great but it would be an improvement to allow logic on a per item level with radio buttons, select boxes and check marks.
- Working with themes can be cumbersome. I also don't think limiting themes is a good idea. It's an essential part of ones toolbox when designing a form. I get frustrated when I'm forced to delete one in order to create a new one.
- The mobile view is great for end users.
- 508 compliant, i.e. accesssible for all users.
- Easy to use, yet still has loads of features and flexibility.
- Great customer server. Any issue we have is resolved quickly.
- Confirmation email formatting is a little glitchy.
- Can't turn off notification emails for form approvers.
- Can't set up an approval process where either of two people can approve.
- Formstack is one of the few form sites we have found that lets you integrate payment into the form with Paypal rather than the user being kicked out to Paypal's website. That is a huge time saver for us, so we don't have to spend time chasing down payments.
- It is so easy to use. We set a custom template up with our branding and with one click we can drag and drop to make awesome forms!
- I wish there were some easier ways to set up multiple payment price points.
- It would be nice if Formstack had some more customized reporting on the forms. When we use them for events, it doesnt make the most user-friendly roster.
- The conditional logic built into Formstack helps me craft forms and registrations with multiple options. It's pretty easy to pick up on how to use.
- Mobile friendly forms that can be used directly in our app is a big plus.
- The submission stats and charts have been invaluable to me in planning and keeping those in leadership informed.
- I'd like to see Formstack be able to send each registrant a custom QR code for quick check in.
- It enables our students to do most of their admission process electronically.
- It enables future athletes to apply by filling out the appropriate form stack forms and allows us to make an immediate evaluation.
- It allows my department to keep track of student information electronically.
- It gives flexibility to be able to create whatever electronic forms are needed.
- The creation process could be made so that anyone could do it.
- The use of electronic signatures and the writing of notes.
- Compatibility with old browsers.
- Fairly easy to build forms, even for users who haven't been explicitly trained.
- Versatility in form building styles, which allows us to use it for many different purposes.
- Integrations with other software platforms, like Hubspot.
- Managing form designs in Formstack is very difficult, and we've had numerous problems with design/styling.
- Certain features are missing from the form builder, like "same as above" functionality.
- The form storage backend is difficult to navigate, and it is difficult to find forms in any way but searching for them.
- Sometimes features in the form builder require reverting to the old form builder to implement.
- Strong integration with Salesforce - can create multiple records within or across multiple objects
- Quick to build forms
- CSS allow small changes to formatting
- Support are always speedy in their responses
- Sometimes updates to fields don’t happen and you have to refresh the page and try again
- Changing field types has unexpected consequences
- With the Salesforce integration it is not possible to create a record and attach a file in one form submission.
- Formstack has a very robust form-builder that allows multiple field types, conditional logic, and calculations.
- Formstack has a huge number of supported integrations to get your data where it needs to be.
- Formstack's database of submissions allows for a lot of detailed reporting to be done on collected data.
- It can be a little tricky to modify a form's appearance with Themes. This has gotten better with some recent updates, but there are still some issues on the appearance of forms that aren't perfect.
- It's not always clear what users will see after they submit a form.
- It would be great if Formstack supported an on page confirmation instead of redirecting to another page once forms are submitted.
- Easy drag and drop form-builder
- Share links that allow anyone without a login to view the data in real-time
- Customizable notification and confirmation emails
- More visual reporting in the submissions
- Would like an easy way to batch send pre-filled forms (name, email, etc.)
- Customization of how forms work - so many times in the past a client has asked for something in a form that was not an easy deliverable for us. Now it's much easier.
- Design options are really nice. It's a seamless transition in a branded website with these forms.
- Easy for clients to navigate if changes need to be made. Fewer errors.
- It would be great to offer a bit more flexibility with the branding/design options.
- Wish it was free :) - but seriously, the value is good.
- Simplicity - it's very easy to create new forms or edit them when you have them ready.
- Integration options - there is a wide range of integrations available. With the webhook option you can do anything you wish.
- Peace of mind. Creating complex forms with field logic and validation has always been quite difficult or at least it has been taking a lot of effort. Formstack solves it for us.
- When you add a matrix field, that is a really nice way to present some questions, it's impossible to change the questions later on without loosing your data because the data is assigned to the labels and not to ids.
- With the webhooks you can't get the Description fields. For example, we send data to a webhook and in the webhook we create a PDF file. It would be perfect to have the headers and description available in the data sent to webhook in order to better build the PDF.
- Client onboarding
- Automating data entry for third parties. You create a form and a webhook. The form fields ensure you get the data you need and with the webhook you can perform all sorts of tasks with the data.
The approving and other workflow logic are useful in streamlining other business processes.
I have presented our model of the admission process to companies selling Admission software or plugins with the request to provide a simple and easier model they could now. Since our administration body is very small simplicity and ease of use for our students and administration is key.
- Integrated with PayPal.
- Produces databases in a variety of formats.
- Allows users to save information and return later to complete the form.
- Allows users to upload information.
- Is fairly intuitive.
- Allows for the easy customization of forms using in-house graphics.
- It is not always easy to find assistance.
- When changes are made to functionality, the question needs to be asked, "is this really an improvement?"
- The huge price increase is not appreciated.
- Easy to use via links
- Multiple format types and question types
- Easy to pull data and submissions
- Love the approval function but the cost is outrageous. We only need approvals for 2 forms and the cost of over $100 a month is crazy when you only need the feature for a few forms.
- Secure method to collect credit card information
- Collect client data
- Connect with Salesforce
- Easy to manipulate and change
- Integrate with other systems directly
- Sometimes international clients have issues with the address fields
- Availability in other languages would be helpful
Formstack Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Formstack is a cloud-based online form building solution designed to help organizations build powerful web forms without any coding knowledge.
The form builder serves over 500,000 people in 112 countries. Users can embed mobile-friendly forms on their websites and social media profiles to capture leads, gather feedback from customers and employees, collect online payments, and much more.
The platform integrates with over 50 web applications, including apps for CRM management, email marketing, payment processing, and document management.
Formstack offers a specialized Workflows product that helps users turn time-consuming processes into seamless digital workflows. Users can track their workflows across departments, and use special analytics tools to identify system and communication bottlenecks.
Other product offerings include conversion rate optimization tools for marketers and HIPAA compliance for healthcare and HR users.
|Silver||$39||All Base Features + 5 Users|
|Gold||$99/mo||All Base Features + Facebook Tab Embed + Salesforce & HubSpot Integrations + 100 Forms + 10,000 Submissions + 10 Users|
|Platinum||$249/mo||All Base Features + Facebook Tab Embed + Salesforce & HubSpot Integrations + Priority Support + 1,000 Forms + 100,000 Submissions + 25 Users|
|Bronze||$19/mo||All base features + 1 User|
We also offer a variety of Add-on features: Workflows, Conversion Kit, Portals, Approvals
Formstack Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
Formstack Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|
|Supported Languages: ||Albanian, Arabic, Chinese, Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Norwegian (Bokmål), Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Portuguese, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese|