Fantastical Freckle

September 16, 2021

Easy Freckle

May 14, 2021
It is being used by certain grades/teams. Not every grade in elementary school uses it on a regular basis, but a few do.

Progress tracking & certifications (10)

Assignments (10)

Learning reporting & analytics (8)

Learning content (10)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Freckle by Renaissance, and make your voice heard!

29 people want pricing too

What is Study Island?

Study Island, from the e-learning company Edmentum, is a learning management system plus e-learning content package (math, ELA, science, and social studies) for K-12 schools. Study Island is built for whole classroom and group sessions as well as individual practice/assessments. The platform allows…

What is Schoology Learning?

Schoology aims to combine as many parts of the learning process as possible into a single platform for K-12 students. By doing this they aim to simplify the learning experience for students, parents, and teachers.

Learning Management

Freckle by Renaissance Technical Details

What is Freckle by Renaissance?

Freckle’s differentiation platform is designed to makes it easy for teachers to reach each student at their own individual level—without having to spend extra time preparing many different lessons every day. The Freckle platform was designed by Freckle Education in San Francisco, and was acquired and is now supported by Renaissance Learning (acquired May 2019).

What is Freckle by Renaissance's best feature?

Reviewers rate Progress tracking & certifications and Assignments highest, with a score of 8.9.

Who uses Freckle by Renaissance?

The most common users of Freckle by Renaissance are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Education Management industry.

Freckle is used as an adaptive platform to support our students in reading and math skills. The reading platforms support students' phonics foundation skills, reading comprehension, grammar, and adaptive reading levels. The math platform coordinates with the state standards to measure and meet the adaptive needs of students. Freckle and Star Assessments connect to ensure students are working on their appropriate level. Freckle offers a variety of resources to help identify areas for improvement, progress, as well as growth on both platforms. We actively use Freckle each day with student choice options, as well as teacher-created assignments. Freckle offers feedback, collaboration, and motivation to ensure continued student involvement.
  • Freckle does a great job adapting lessons.
  • Freckle does a great job motivating students and participation.
  • Freckle is very interactive with students and teachers to support continued participation.
  • Freckle provides DOK challenge questions that support students' understanding after standards are met.
  • Student inquiry and problem-based questions are also new additions to Freckle that help support led activities.
  • I would like to see more reinforcement or reteaching videos to assign.
  • Lesson organization tools would support the long list of assignments collect over weeks or semesters.
Freckle does a great job of establishing a continuum to allow students to build confidence and continued use from elementary to high school. Freckle does a fantastic job differentiating and meeting the student's needs to build their confidence and belief in their achievements to be successful learners. The less appropriate scenario is in the reteach lessons they provide.
Our district began using Freckle by Renaissance for summer school last year. My students enjoy the avatars and earning coins. There are many options and many reports. Students are able to practice state standards, adaptive, and targeted skills. The customer service has been very helpful with the premium program. We also received several trainings before implementing the system.
  • adaptive math practice
  • math fact practice
  • a variety of reading in fiction and non fiction
  • targeted math practice
  • ability to focus on common core standards
  • There are SO many options- more training on how to limit and set focus would help
  • more training on how to assign and what to assign to influence growth reports
  • focus skills and missing skills should automatically be assigned- not something teachers need to find in a report to assign
It has been well received by my students. The kids especially like their avatars and earning coins in the daily math fact practice. It is more difficult to guide students into completing tasks that are more difficult or less favored. Some reports are more difficult to interpret - but there are a variety to choose from. Again, their are many options for teachers and students.
March 08, 2022

Freckle Is So Helpful

I am a Title 1 reading teacher and Dyslexia Specialist. I love that I can create my own classes with the particular students that I serve. In one class I have students ranging from 6th grade to 2nd grade. I am able to assign lessons based on their needs. For instance, a student in 6th grade may need help with comprehension whereas my 2nd-grade student needs more help in foundation reading skills. These students are only with me for about an hour a day, but I can assign lessons that they are able to accomplish anywhere. Upon completion of their assignments, I am able to see how well they are accomplishing their tasks. With this information, I can determine whether I need to continue teaching a particular skill. Freckle is very useful. Several of our teachers have used it in the past or are still using it presently.
  • Freckle offers ELA lessons for all skills from foundational to comprehension and higher-level thinking skills.
  • The reports are very easy to read and show specific areas of success or need.
  • Freckle is very useful when teachers need to assign lessons for Alternate Methods of Teaching (AMI) days.
  • I love the simplicity of Freckle. The site is easy to use and navigate. Setting up my classes was an easy task.
  • My students get bored with just answering questions the whole time. They complain about having to get on to Freckle.
  • I would like to see open ended or open response questions.
  • I would like for Freckle to be able to assess fluency.
I am the dyslexia specialist for our district. I have found some lessons that are available for me to assign to my students who struggle with phonemic awareness skills. I use the Orton-Gillingham method of teaching these students the sounds. The lesson I found will give my students the opportunity to practice what I have been teaching. It also gives me an idea of how well they are retaining those skills. Another feature that is helpful for my students, especially those I am servicing now, is the decodable readers. Many of my students want to be able to read a book or story, but some of the words are hard for them to decode. I like that freckle offers decodable readers for my students to use while testing their skills. I have not accessed them yet, but I have it in my plans to use it this week.
September 16, 2021

Fantastical Freckle

Freckle reinvented our online math instruction. With distance learning and the daily struggle to keep our students engaged, Freckle provided a platform for success. The combination of engaging characters and the colorful, quick mathematical problems (numeracy, number sense, and computation) gave my first graders a reason to turn on their iPads and tackle their assignments. The reports provided by Freckle are insanely useful. As an educator time is always a factor and desegregating data is always a chore. Freckle made understanding my students' strengths and weaknesses easy and subsequently allowed me as their teacher to plan meaningful instruction to fill educational gaps. Freckle is a wonderful product and one I would highly recommend.
  • Provides fun and meaningful activities at grade level.
  • Simple and clear reports that provide a meaningful snapshot of student achievement.
  • Great tech support and assistance to navigate the Freckle journey.
  • I was wowed by Freckle. Maybe our lack of access on the reservation makes me easily impressed, but at this time I cannot find fault in the programming.
Freckle is a fantastic online learning platform. I think it works well in multiple learning environments. Last year I used Freckle in a distance learning model and this year on individual iPads in class. I love that it is a quick platform to assess student achievement. I haven't experienced a scenario where Freckle would fail however, lack of access to the internet is always a factor.
Rita Platt | TrustRadius Reviewer
The third and fourth-grade teachers in my school building use Freckle math as a resource. They used it during distance learning as the bulk of the math curriculum. During the regular year, they use it to differentiate for student needs and augment the regular curriculum. We believe that every single student is deserving a year's growth in a year's worth of time. This is true no matter if a student begins at, below, or above grade level in math. Freckle helps us meet students' unique needs so that we reach the goal of all making a year's progress minimum in a year's time.
  • Differentiation: Students are guided though lessons that fit their unique learning needs.
  • Data collection: Teachers have access to ongoing reports that help them tailor instruction.
  • Versatility: Students can access Freckle from any computer at any time.
  • Price: In a perfect world, Freckle would be less expensive.
Freckle is a great tool for students in the middle grades. As noted previously, it is easy for students and teachers alike to use it. It is very well suited for students who are hard-working, self-motivated, and independent. It would not be appropriate for schools without one-to-one computers or strong and fast internet connections.
Freckle is being utilized as supplemental support for our FAP math class and with our 6th grade math lab class. It is being used by students who are 3 or more grade levels below their peers. Students in both programs spend 30 minutes or more on Freckle a day.
  • Allows students to practice math facts
  • Provides challenging problems
  • Allows students to track their growth
  • Incentives for learning
  • Online and Printable Resources
  • Incentives for Middle School Students
  • Dashboard for Middle School Students
  • Characters for Older Students
Freckle is great for elementary-age students. The math lessons have practice opportunities, checks to gauge progress, and allows teachers to easily track student progress. I also love that they have online AND printable practice options for students. Many online programs don't have printables ready to go for students. This is a great addition. Students also love the incentives and "rewards" they earn. Students can spend coins at the store and dress up their avatars.
May 14, 2021

Easy Freckle

• It is simple and easy to give assignments. I can see sample questions, see the standards, and check students' scores/results with ease. It is also easy for the students to find their results.
  • Logging in is easy for students. There is a class code and then they simply type in their name.
  • Freckle is fun for students. They love earning coins and getting the chance to buy different accessories for their avatars.
  • I wish it had more standards under targeted practice for math.
When we had to switch to remote learning in the spring of 2020 and it was so easy to start doing using Freckle. The students picked up on it quickly and with ease.
Math teachers at my school are using it in their classrooms and in remote learning. It helps us target skills that students are weak in and let us assign individualized practices for them. There are videos and other help sections for students as well. They have sections where they can practice math facts to get points for their avatar.
  • Targeted practice.
  • Easy to group students and assign practice that way.
  • Easy to use at home (remote learning).
  • More questions/practice for specific subsets of skills.
Freckle is a great product for targeted practice for students. It makes it easy to create groups for remediation or different levels in your classes. The points system and building your avatar is more suited for elementary students though.
We use it in our Kindergarten through 6th-grade classrooms.
  • Math is divided into different areas.
  • I wish ELA was divided into different skill areas.
It is a great classroom ready-made center and can also be used as a teachers guide.
I have had all my questions answered each time I needed.
Alicia Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
Freckle by Renaissance is being used within the organization on a more individual teacher basis. Freckle by Renaissance is a beautiful program that addresses students needs at no cost for most features within the program that addresses multi
Discipline subjects. When using in a classroom, the free version will be suitable covering Math, ELA, Science & Social Studies. If using as a school-wide platform or district-wide, the premium upgraded plan is the better choice. It will provide more data to help ensure the best practice for each individual student.
  • Differentiated activities
  • Individual Personalized Learning Plan
  • Adding science games to coincide with science articles.
  • Adding social studies games to coincide with social studies article.
The company name Freckle by Renaissance is representative of how diverse the program truly is. Before the program being called Freckle by Renaissance, it was known as FrontRow several years ago the company changed the name to Freckle to represent how individualized there mission was. Freckle by Renaissance was representative of how no one person has the same freckles, and from that, the program built their core around no two children are alike and allow for different paths for students based on their placement test in
the individual domains in ELA & math.
Such an excellent program that is a hidden gem at no cost for teachers to use with students.