FreeAgent Reviews

Vince McConville | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 14, 2017

FreeAgent - Brilliant for helping me run my buisness

I currently use FreeAgent to manage my invoicing, expenses, bills, mileage, payroll and allocating time against projects. It has made doing thee operations so much easier giving me time to focus on other aspects of the business. I particularly like the way it links into the HMRC to report my payroll through RTI and the way it can report and submit my personal tax.
  • Time recording against projects
  • Great overview of financial position of business
  • Automatic creation of dividend vouchers
  • More links to third-party software needed
FreeAgent is really suited to the financial management of a small business. Especially an owner managed business as it provides all the tools to keep on top of finances. It can reduce the need for a bookkeeper as it is easy to add expenses and reconcile them with the linked bank accounts. The integrated payroll would also reduce the need for third-party management of such processes. Would still recommend the use of an accountant to advise on more complex financial requirements.
Read Vince McConville's full review
Kirsty McWilliam | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 14, 2016

Amazing product

I started using FreeAgent three years ago and after years of relying on spreadsheets for small businesses I was delighted with the results ! I would recommend it, and often do, to any small business. The dashboard is a must have tool for keeping you up to date and in check with all the tax positions and vital business needs.
  • Ease of use.
  • Bank feed.
  • Amazingly quick support.
  • More developed apps.
  • Comparison of year on year results from within programme.
Are you a small business who needs more accurate accounts on a daily basis?
Read Kirsty McWilliam's full review
Eddie May | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 03, 2016

Free Agent is ace for UK freelancers

As a freelancer, working on projects and also time based billing, FreeAgent has helped streamline client account management, time billing, invoicing and accounting. It is indispensable to the way my business operates.
  • Accounting! As you'd expect. Makes it much simpler andmore cost effective. In-coming and out-goings are recorded and assigned to projects and accounts. My accountant can access my books and reconcile so much more easily than trawling through spreadsheets.
  • Time billing - time spent on projects/client work is recorded and is ready to be invoiced as required. Saves so much time and prevents inaccuracies.
  • Invoicing - again, it should do this well and it does. Non payment reminders are automatic and clients have no excuses for not knowing the status of their account.
  • Account dashboard - gives me an instant overview of the health of the business (am I on track to meet my yearly targets) and my accounts.
  • When explaining bank transactions it's necessary to click the 'More Options' to add a receipt number.
  • Perhaps receipt numbering could be automatic.
FreeAgent is particularly suited to freelancers and SMEs that have project and/or time based billing.
Read Eddie May's full review
Tim Edgeler | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 27, 2016

Awesome accounting software for awesome people!

I use FreeAgent every day to produce estimates, create invoices and follow the payment through to my bank account. I process VAT, payroll and all my expenses through it as well and have been really impressed with it. I have used it ever since I started my company and couldn't see myself running the business as I do at the moment without it. My accountant also has access to the back-end data and can produce all the necessary reports straight out of the software without me having to worry about it.
  • Producing estimates/proposals and allowing you to easily convert them into invoices and then follow it all through to payment.
  • Keeping tabs of all my expenses and payments.
  • Producing the necessary documentation for VAT returns and Self Assesements.
  • I am looking forward to the Android app being launched.
  • Being able to produce more in depth proposals which aren't just itemised accounts would be great.
Its great for a business where you quote and then invoice on a job-by-job basis which is why it works well for me.
Read Tim Edgeler's full review
Linda Merrills | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 16, 2016

FreeAgent is for consultants who just want to do their job!

FreeAgent makes managing the finances of our business a breeze. From invoicing with automatic chasing, bank account sync, payroll, time tracking and easy expenses management
  • Payroll
  • Vat and PAYE payment reminders
  • Time tracking
  • At a glance dashboard
  • Expenses
  • Self Assessment!!
  • Year end payroll reports
  • Better iPhone App (it's very new so hopefully will improve soon)
  • ability to add other company details to self assessment
It is fantastic for service based companies, particularly consultancy and web developers. It is suited to companies looking for stock control or multi company management.
Read Linda Merrills's full review
Jason Dalton AICB CB.Cert PM.Dip | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 16, 2016

Love FreeAgent and the helpful FreeAgent team!!

The business problems it addresses are spending too much time managing record keeping and being unsure about how something should be recorded - all things of the past with FreeAgent.
  • Invoicing is a breeze, with some very useful and user-friendly features to help manage late payers.
  • Bank feeds work perfectly, making bank reconciliation incredibly easy.
  • When unsure, and what makes FreeAgent stand well ahead of its competitors, is absolutely amazing support - fast, effective and just plain helpful beyond expectations.
  • There's very little FreeAgent doesn't do, but if you spot something it can usually be added or there is another way - remittance advices are one area I would like to see added.
  • The newly introduced smartphone app, like most other software provides in this market, is quite restricting. Having a mobile responsive website makes those restrictions disappear.
There are very few examples I can think of where FreeAgent is not THE answer. One client chose not to use it as their payroll currently tracks job costs. I therefore understand the complexities of the client's needs before confirming FreeAgent is my recommendation.
Read Jason Dalton AICB CB.Cert PM.Dip's full review
Gavin Percy | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 16, 2016

FreeAgent - my Finance Director!

As a sole trader FreeAgent is my accounting rock and is used for everything from invoicing to VAT returns.
  • Consolidation of bank accounts. Easy to use and hassle free.
  • Data feed from bank accounts. Easy to get your bank account details into the system.
  • VAT returns are very easy. Just put in your details and Free agent works it all out for you and sends it to HMRC for you too.
  • If your customer pays you for a number of invoices in one payment it is a bit tricky to sort out. Once you know how it is OK but I did have to use the help desk a couple of times
I strongly recommend FreeAgent - it is so much better for me than other systems I have used in the past.
Read Gavin Percy's full review
Rob Parkhill | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 23, 2015

Free your Accounting Time with FreeAgent

FreeAgent is the only accounting package that we have, it allows me to manage and see the business and it's current financial state in a matter of minutes, and it takes me less than an hour a week to ensure that everything is reconciled. Billing is a breeze with recurring invoices, and reconcilliation is simple with automatic bank imports.
  • Recurring invoices with automated follow-up is fantastic for helping to get paid on time
  • Automated bank transfers are the easiest way to ensure that I can reconcile my accounts with ease
  • Support is fantastic
  • Built-in Time tracking for projects/tasks (integration with Basecamp to get this info) is fantastic, it allows us to accurately track what we are working on and get paid for it!
  • Android Mobile App, but they are working on it
FreeAgent is well suited to the industries that it is targeted at - anyone who does freelance or is a small firm. The software is amazing; the price point is fantastic, as you get discounts for referrals, the more people you refer to FreeAgent, the less you pay! The team is very responsive to support requests and improvements as well.
Read Rob Parkhill's full review
Anthony Stretten | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 01, 2015

Great Invoicing and project time management tool

All staff members use FreeAgent to track time, bills and expenses on client projects. On a management level it allows us to keep track of invoices and banking.
  • Great time management features for client projects.
  • Easy quote and invoice production.
  • Reporting on financials, time tracking and project status is a little poor. It's adequate for what what we need, but would be great to see more advanced features.
  • API is quite closed so cannot integrate with our other project management tools.
FreeAgent is great for all levels of companies to can manage payroll, quotes, invoicing and time allowance for projects. If you are quite a large company, then I would recommend speaking to them to help you set up the account.
Read Anthony Stretten's full review
Josh Hardman | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 30, 2015

FreeAgent - accounting made simple

FreeAgent controls the whole of my company's accounting - invoicing, bank account management, payroll, and estimates.
  • Invoicing and estimates are well structured, with built-in pay walls and automatic notifications on late payments. There are also automatic reoccurring invoices, reducing our monthly work load.
  • FreeAgent automatically pulls in our business bank account, allowing me to directly explain every transaction with invoices, payments, and more.
  • My accounts, on the go, anywhere. With FreeAgent being web-based, it means we can view our accounts anywhere, with no worries of data-loss. This is made easier with the new iOS app.
  • Client-specific email templates would be very useful.
FreeAgent is very good for the service industry.
Read Josh Hardman's full review
Russell Greig MCIArb | TrustRadius Reviewer

Fantastic freeagent

I use FreeAgent across my whole business; it's great for sole traders looking for a hassle free and cost effective way to manage accounts.
  • Live feed from bank accounts
  • Live feed and upload of self assessment tax returns
  • At a glance dashboard of outstanding invoices
  • Pay As You Earn (PAYE) software
  • More bespoke accounting categories based on particular industries
  • Quicker updating of tax return info
Read Russell Greig MCIArb's full review
Maribel Pascual | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 19, 2015

FreeAgent is simply amazing! We love it!

We are a small limited company and use FreeAgent as our accounting software. We deliberately choose a solution that is cloud based to be able to access it from anywhere with an internet connection and it's reasonably priced (£27 a month). The simplicity of FreeAgent as well as the iOS app is fantastic and makes accounting and staying on top of business finances a breeze and - dare I say - fun! I never thought I'd say this about accounting!!! But the best part about FreeAgent is the incredible customer support they provide. I can honestly say it's the best customer service I have come across in my professional career. I can't recommend FreeAgent highly enough. Sign up - you won't regret it!
  • Customer Service is the best I have come across
  • The software is super easy to use and very user friendly
  • Reasonable prices and cloud based
  • I'd like to be able to save regular journeys and their mileage for speedier entry, besides that I can't think of a single thing!!!
It's great for solopreneurs and business owners who don't feel comfortable with accounting since it's very easy to use and set up. If you struggle or have a question there is a large knowledge base to check in on or you can contact FreeAgent's amazing customer service team and they will respond to you promptly and with an answer that isn't accounting jargon. I've had a situation where I got stuck and Debbie sorted it for me explaining in detail what she did and why. I really wish every company would take a leaf out of their book when it comes to customer service!
Read Maribel Pascual's full review
Colin Clark | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 11, 2015

fantastic software

FreeAgent is used by everyone. Most have limited access and can only raise invoices.
  • Very easy to raise an invoice. Even one of my staff who hates IT can do it.
  • All my bank transactions are downloaded automatically. Makes checking banking very easy.
  • Not really found any yet. I'm most happy so far. Any problems - their help system is amazing.
FreeAgent is great for small outfits. I think larger companies might think twice.
Read Colin Clark's full review
Richie Morgan | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 06, 2015

Excellent system for a small company!

Cutscene Media is a small company at the moment, so our FreeAgent system is accessible by the company directors and the accountant. It is used to store client details, monitor our banking, create invoices and store expense receipts. It also provides us with data on how the company is doing financially. Our accountant has direct access, so there is little need for her to chase us for information.
  • Free Agent is great for creating professional invoices. If you use the system to manage projects, the invoicing system can automatically fill out any details required. Once completed, the invoice can be automatically emailed from your email address, then stored in the free agent system.
  • Setting up a bank feed or uploading invoices allows you to keep track of your bank accounts. The system automatically flags up unexplained transactions and allows you to explain and even attach receipts to particular transactions to be stored as expenses.
  • Out of pocket expenses can be entered on the move via a smart phone, a photograph can be taken of the receipt and uploaded into the FreeAgent system. The banking system can then link up any pay outs to the user who is out of pocket. Creating a neat expenses system.
  • The FreeAgent system is being constantly updated and improved thanks to the large team. There has maybe been a few occasions when I have tried to link a bank transaction with an expense and it hasn't allowed me to link a transaction manually. But the staff are very fast at helping out with any issues I've ever had
As a small business it's excellent for me, as my finances can frequently go overlooked for too long. The FreeAgent system has made catching up when I fall behind very easy. I would also say if I were a larger business, it would be great for staying on top of invoices, projects and the money in general.
Read Richie Morgan's full review
Nick Dye, MBA, FRSA | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 04, 2015

Accounting software for people that don't like acocunts

I work through a limited company, VAT registered and I do my own PAYE to keep accountant costs down and to allow me to have a good handle on what's going on.

I do occasionally have other people helping me out with the work and they will also go on the payroll for a limited period of time.
  • VAT returns are filed electronically, after prompts and auto generated
  • RTI returns filed automatically for payroll
  • Prompts or future bills such as corporation tax, VAT payments etc
  • Investments such as stocks and shares or commodities
  • Sometimes it will guess account entries incorrectly and will always assume it knows which way you want to take money out of the company (dividend/expense/salary)
I'm a busy IT contractor and I'm disinterested in spending time on my accounts. FreeAgent allows you to upload your bank statements, it has a best guess at applying it to the accounts, you then attach scanned receipts and that's about all you need to do to keep things going.

You can file your payroll and your VAT returns electronically. I can give permission to my accountant to download accounts annually. Dividends and expenses are handled as well as reminders for both overdue invoices and filing returns and additionally it will forecast corporation tax and other bills.

There are limits, such as investments and subsidiaries, but it will do the vast bulk of work with ease.

The support, although only by email, is prompt and helpful.

If you don't know much about accounts and don't like spending time on them I think most independent consultants can benefit substantially by using these guys.
Read Nick Dye, MBA, FRSA's full review
Alan Wright | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 01, 2015

Easy accounting, quoting and invoicing, saves me hours in business admin each month!

FreeAgent has streamlined my accounting and invoicing duties freeing up my time to focus on aspects of my business.
  • Importing and explaining banking transactions is a breeze, no more spreadsheets to battle.
  • I can now easily craft and send great looking estimates, quotes and invoices over to clients in moments via email.
  • Completing and filing my tax return has now become infinitely simpler as FreeAgent does most of the hard work for you.
  • When raising quotes or invoices for different people within the same company it can be a guessing game to select the correct person as only the company name is shown in the options not the company / person. To be honest there may be a solution but it hasn't bugged me enough yet to look for one (yet).
Do you use internet banking for your business? If yes FreeAgent will become your best friend when running your small business.
Read Alan Wright's full review
Emma Cossey | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 01, 2015

I recommend FreeAgent to my freelancing community

I've been using FreeAgent since going Limited Company, but have no hesitations in recommending it to sole traders and Ltds alike. I use it for invoicing, expenses, banking, tracking and with my accountant. It brings everything together in one, simple and easy place - and the self-assessment function is fantastic.
  • Easy invoicing
  • Quick support - their G+ Q&A sessions really helped
  • Importing bank feeds - makes things SO much easier.
  • Being able to print out multiple things (like invoices) at once would be ideal
I run a community for freelancers, and FreeAgent is always my recommended software for anyone either starting out as a freelancer or looking for an organised system.
Read Emma Cossey's full review
Edgar Danielyan | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 29, 2015

FreeAgent is a perfect accounting solution for consultancies / professional service firms

We use FreeAgent to maintain accounts, run payroll, submit VAT returns, etc. Pretty much everything that a small consultancy needs to do, FreeAgent does and does well.
  • Easy to use and understand
  • Excellent user interface
  • Bank feeds
  • None really - aside from adding even more integration FreeAgent is good as it is
I believe FreeAgent would be appropriate for almost any SME, especially professional services firms and consultancies like ours.
Read Edgar Danielyan's full review
Mike McGrail | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 01, 2015

Couldn't live without it!

I use it for all bookkeeping, accounting, invoicing and online payments via PayPal. I also run payroll with it.
  • Invoicing - produces professional invoices easily
  • Finance - projected profits etc
  • Expenses - easy to manage and pay
  • At times I wish they had an official app
FreeAgent is great for new businesses.
Read Mike McGrail's full review
Iain Fergus | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 29, 2015

Simple Invoicing and Account Management

I'm using FreeAgent to streamline my invoicing and accounts process.
  • Simple Invoicing - really easy to set up and send out with online payment integrations.
  • Bank Feeds - having transactions automatically feed in from my bank account is a great timesaver.
  • Expenses Tracking - simple process to keep track of expenses and receipts.
  • It would be great if you were able to manage transaction explanations on mobile.
FreeAgent is more suited to small teams and sole traders.
Read Iain Fergus's full review
November 11, 2015

FreeAgent - I would recommend it to anyone

I use FreeAgent to manage my company's accounts (I run a limited company). I find it straightforward and simple to use. My accountant has access also so it makes it easy for any financial problem solving and for her to do my end of year accounts. The payroll function which links directly to HMRC for RTI is a doddle and I can see at a moment's glance what my cash flow position is, how much VAT I will need to pay and keeps me up to date with any deadlines that I might have.
  • Clear, straightforward UX and design. This is key for me for any web based programme that I use.
  • The ability to track your time against multiple clients makes it easy when you get to the end of month and the important area of invoicing!
  • Showing your profit and loss at any moment in time.
  • The ability to track your capital assets and the fact that it automatically depreciates them for you.
  • It would be great to get either email or text alerts for those key milestones e.g. submitting your VAT bill
I think it's very well suited to sole traders or those who run their own limited company. I can't really comment on other types of organisations.

FreeAgent is awesome

It is being used for my accountancy needs. It makes things so much easier by uploading digital copies of your bank statements and being able to match regular transactions.
  • Profit and loss analysis
  • submitting to HMRC directly from freeagent
  • Easier to find certain features
It is really well suited to small businesses that need to generate invoices and take payments via PayPal.

Pay calculation (12)
Benefit plan administration (6)
Direct deposit files (2)
Salary revision and increment management (6)
Reimbursement management (8)
API for custom integration (9)
4.5
Plug-ins (10)
6.4
Single sign-on capability (13)
Role-based user permissions (13)
Dashboards (18)
Bank reconciliation (18)
Expense management (21)
Time tracking (16)
10.0
Fixed asset management (11)
Multi-currency support (7)
Multi-division support (5)
Regulations compliance (8)
Electronic tax filing (18)
Self-service portal (11)
Journals and Reconciliations (1)
Inventory tracking (2)
Automatic reordering (1)
Location management (1)
4.5
Manufacturing module (1)
Pricing (9)
Order entry (2)
Credit card processing (5)
Cost of goods sold (3)

About FreeAgent

FreeAgent is an online accounting software designed specifically to meet the needs of small businesses, freelancers and their accountants.

FreeAgent helps businesses take care of their day-to-day admin, from managing expenses and running fully RTI-compliant payroll to creating and sending professional-looking estimates and invoices. It also allows businesses to keep track of their cash flow and profitability, showing who owes them money - and how much!.

FreeAgent also has a personalised ‘Tax Timeline’ of upcoming deadlines and amounts due, as well as the functionality to easily file VAT, RTI payroll and - for sole traders and limited company directors - Self Assessment tax returns directly to HMRC.

The vendor boasts around 100,000 customers currently using FreeAgent to manage their business accounts, with no confusing accounting jargon and with a team of support accountants on hand to help them stay on track.