FunctionFox provides TimeFox which is a timesheet and project management solution for small creative companies. The vendor says TimeFox is currently used by over 100,000 creative professionals in Canada, the US, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/Wq/sT/FZNCTZG4O80K.JPEGBest Project Manangement Software!We use TimeFox for both our time tracking and project tracking. We are able to manage the status and tasks associated with each of our projects, as well as track time for each employee of our entire organization. It has been a very valuable tool.,Project Management. Employee Time Tracking. Task Management.,Searchability could be improved a bit.,9,Invaluable time saver for employee hour tracking. Terrific for managing projects' status.,monday and Mavenlink,GoToMeeting, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Slack, YouCanBook.Me, Facebook for Business, TweetDeckCould be great with better UI and ReportingFunctionFox was intended to be used by our whole organization - sales, marketing, accounts, finance, etc., as a way to track time across business functions, clients, and more. The system was meant to help make organizational decisions on where efficiencies could occur and potential billing opportunities may lie with current customers.,Can track multiple team members' time. Can segment time spent by activity/function type. Can report on time spent by activity/function type.,Segmenting. It is so difficult to always select which activity/team you are on, which is a big time suck. It shouldn't take you a significant amount of time to log time, but it does. There is still a lot of improvements that can be made on the reporting side and the overall UI. That could make this a more valuable, tool.,5,We did not use FunctionFox long enough to really see ROI, we struggled with getting team members to adopt the technology. If it is used properly, I think you could find areas where you can automate processes or make a key hire to help optimize staff efficiency. It can help with billing clients that you are being paid for spending time on.,,Pardot, Triblio, Google Ads (formerly AdWords)FunctionFox was the perfect starting point for our business, where time is our work productWe use FunctionFox across our entire organization to track our time. As a service business (marketing agency), our time is our work product, so it's essential to keep accurate records. We started out with FunctionFox when we had just two people, so this was one of our first and most important paid applications that we added to support the business. Today we have grown to 7 users, and the system has effortlessly grown with us.,With only a couple clicks I can still easily pull reports by employee on a weekly basis which provide the information I need to run payroll. I pull reports by client each month for our monthly client billings, which we have broken down by project so I can easily see how our time was spent on their account. We set a budget for the approved number of hours we can apply to any one project for the month, and the system provides the project manager with a warning as the limit comes near. That function has been fantastic! FunctionFox's Help Desk personnel are wonderful, providing an exceptionally personalized experience. They take their time, and will even schedule a call to go into greater depth, such as an entire account review just to ensure you're able to use all the product features to your company's best advantage. Our entire team jumped on a half hour call a couple months ago, and she answered ALL of our questions, including providing us with info on some features we hadn't realized even existed.,We've found it difficult to add new Clients since you need to manually add each of the different types of Projects and Tasks. We have also had to customize it a bit to account for personnel who bill out at multiple different rates, depending on the type of project they're working on. Unfortunately, FunctionFox doesn't currently integrate with QuickBooks, so our move to QBOnline last year means that we still need to manually type in hours and projects when creating a QBO invoice. Integration with QBO has ultimately turned out to be a "must have" feature for us as we've grown, so we'll be moving to T-Sheets in 2019. But I must admit, leaving FunctionFox has been a very difficult choice.,8,FunctionFox has been our very first time tracking application for the business, so it's helped ensure we're billing out for all the time worked on our client's behalf. Or at least we are able to see how much time we consciously decide NOT to bill. With greater visibility of our data, we're able to track employee efficiency. For instance, we are able to see the # of hours that are billable vs. non-billable per week, so everyone now sees their billable % stats with each paycheck. The cost of FunctionFox is low, and you're not billed for archived users so it's been a great value for the money. It only helps us produce revenue, with exceptionally little cost. This product fulfills a much needed service in the arena of essential apps for small businesses.,,HubSpot, Trello, QuickBooks OnlineFunctionFox for Business ProfitabilityIn our line of work, we bill our clients for the hours of work we do for them. It is very important to accurately track our time and our employees time so we can bill appropriately. Before using Function Fox we were leaving money on the table, which our clients loved, but ultimately won't grow our business. Function Fox has helped us fix that and now we know where the bulk of our time is spent and how to leverage the services that not only we enjoy, but make us profitable too.,Project Time Tracking Employee Time Tracking Analysis for company growth,We wish it would integrate with our CRM or QuickBooks better.,8,Accurate Billing Accurate Time Cards,TogglEasy, intuitive, useful systemFunctionFox is used by everyone working at ZincStrategies. We use it to track time and allocate that time to various projects, and to various tasks within each project. In my case I also use it to align with my project invoicing at month end, so the ability that FF has to produce reports based on either client, personnel or project is great.,Ability to break down time allocation to a seemingly limitless number of clients and projects for those clients Flexibility in being able to return to any day or entry and modify it if necessary. Great customer support for any questions, and "hand holding" during early stages of using the product!,So far, in my two years of using Function Fox, I haven't found any area that doesn't work well for me, so I have nothing to suggest for improvement.,10Fair FunctionFox451 Marketing uses FunctionFox for all employees that work with our clients to track time for both internal and external reporting.,FunctionFox allows 451 Marketing to pull and customize many different reports, which is important to us both internally and externally. FunctionFox allows 451 Marketing to track time either by exact time, using the timer or by entering time in blocks. That is helpful to us because we have 6 different departments and each department likes to track differently. FunctionFox allows administrators to assign different levels of usage per user.,FunctionFox could benefit from making some changes to the over all look and layout of the site. FunctionFox should make some changes as to how many steps there are to complete certain processes, it can often times be unnecessary and can often be troublesome. A simpler process would be beneficial. 451 Marketing is currently changing how we bill, it would be nice to see some easier ways to incorporate this change.,5,FunctionFox has allowed us the ability to track time and materials appropriately and report them successfully.,ClickTimeFunctionFox means time is on my side.I use FunctionFox daily to record my time, track expenses, manage projects, and create reports, estimates and invoices. I also use it to improve communication with clients and schedule meetings and project deadlines. As a freelance copywriter, FunctionFox keeps me organized and helps me keep projects on track. Creating estimates with FunctionFox lets me track progress and avoid going over budget, which my clients appreciate. It is simple and quick to record my time with FunctionFox which means that even though I'm not a great fan of time sheets, my time records are much more accurate and complete than they were when my time was recorded on sticky notes and other random bits of paper. I know I am capturing more billable hours than I used to do, and also that I am wasting much less time on non-billable admin tasks. I'm more productive, because FunctionFox helps me focus on the job at hand, and I feel more competent and professional, knowing that I can back up my fees with a complete and accurate record of time and expenses.,FunctionFox makes time tracking easy. The interface for recording time is simple and quick to use, with pull-down menus for clients, projects and tasks, and a choice between recording time manually or with a timer. FunctionFox helps me understand my business better. A wide range of easy-to-generate reports lets me delve down to understand which clients and projects are most (or least) profitable. Tracking estimates against actual fees and hard costs helps me develop more accurate and realistic quotes. FunctionFox makes me more professional. Time-tracking is just the beginning. FunctionFox makes that simple task into a really powerful tool that helps me appear - and be - more professional. It helps me develop comprehensive estimates, ensures better communications with clients during the life of a project, and helps me create accurate and complete invoices. As a freelancer, professionalism is vitally important in establishing and maintaining trust with clients. FunctionFox supports its software with above-and-beyond customer service. Whenever I have had a question about FunctionFox - how to configure it so it works better for me, whether a new feature would be useful to me, how to do something, where to find something - any question, really - is answered right away by a representative that understands my business.,FunctionFox doesn't have an accounting function built in, so isn't totally stand alone. The simplicity that brings to the program is great, but it might be nice to have everything in one package.,10,FunctionFox pays for itself just about every month in terms of how much more I am able to bill than before I started using the software, and how much less time I need to spend on non-billable admin tasks. I used to create invoices based mostly on what sounded fair, rather than on accurate time & cost records. I'm sure my clients loved it, but it wasn't healthy for my business. Now I base invoices on actual time and expense records, and end up with more money in my pocket. It's not tangible, but FunctionFox has improved my ability to communicate with clients, and with freelance partners when I'm involved in a collaborative project. I can anticipate and discuss potential budget or delivery deadline overruns before they occur. The goodwill this builds has had a tremendously positive impact on client and partnership relations. I fell into freelancing without a lot of experience running a business. FunctionFox has been a great teacher, helping me think through many issues that I wouldn't have even recognized as important. It is simple to use, with a UI that is neither intimidating nor overwhelming, and it has been super flexible in terms of molding it to suit the way I work.,QuickBooks Self-EmployedGreat for Time TrackingI am a Business Manager for an integrated marketing firm owned by Kent State University and operated by Kent State University Students. TimeFox has been very essential to our firm. All of the designers at our firm are students and each of them have different time schedules and it is hard to keep a track of their hours especially when it comes to track billable and non-billable hours for the clients. TimeFox helps the student designers to keep a track of their hours and helps me when I am trying to bill a client since it gives me all details regarding the client's projects. It is also helpful when it comes to tracking hours spent on a particular project and gives a running total of the time spent on a project versus the estimated hours assigned to the project. It is very user-friendly and easy to understand and customizable based on one's needs. One thing I wish it would have is a functionality to create invoices. Another thing I hope is that they update their smartphone app. It currently only supports time-sheet entries (clocking in & out) and not all the features that one could use online. It would be nice to have the ability to at least look at the project reports and employee hour reports through the mobile app and it can prove very handy during meetings.,Time Tracking Project Dashboard Email Remainders & Alerts Project Estimating Budget Tracking,Mobile site Mobile App,9,Increased employee efficienty Does everything what it says,,10Great tool for finances, budget and employee hours tracking!FunctionFox is a great platform to track all of our project's hours, record design hours and tracking a project lifecycle. It also provides an easy method for billing to have project numbers, names and a breakdown of hours billed throughout the weeks or months it's ongoing. I frequently pull functionfox reports from older projects to track time and actual cost to then scope new projects.,Tracks hours/cost at the project, client or portfolio level. Allows you to pull reports for a number of financial components. Provided all employees have the training, comments are useful to understand what that time was for, especially in situations with over burning etc.,The function of the site is not as user-friendly as others, it's sometimes hard to find certain projects and organize data in order to track effectively. I would often need to download/export reports. Sometimes a project would accidentally be created twice and hours billed to two separate projects for the same thing. Which made tracking and billing increasingly difficult. Little to no organization of projects for billing and finance purposes, which makes it hard when we conduct billing as there is not a clear way to know if a project is complete, ongoing, rejected etc.,5,Track budget across projects, clients, companies and portfolios/purchase orders. Track designer hours and billable time for all members of the business. Conduct finances once a month for billable time and have actualized costs.,Basecamp, 10000ft and Workfront,Workfront, Basecamp, 10000ft,15,1,Finance - billing for clients, invoicing and tracking POs Budget - Tracking a project budget over the lifecycle. Tracking creative hours, ensure no one is overburning.,Track/Organize comments as people add hours so we develop a better understanding of how long it takes to do something, we can then use the actual hours for future projects.,Before using it in different ways, more training would need to be provided to the design team in order to track hours more efficiently. As well as have the account team add and organize projects correctly.,3,No,Price Prior Experience with the Product,In doing so again, I would probably re-evaluate FunctionFox. It is a useful tool, but doesn't have a wide variety of functionality. You really also need to buy additional programs in order to track other areas of business. This makes it tough and there's a much larger room for error between projects (e.g. naming conventions, numbers etc).,Don't know,5,8,Projects weren't listing right in FunctionFox and I had to call a representative in order to fix the problem. This was during our monthly finance meeting, they had the issue resolved and sent a follow up email after to make sure everything was set. Really happy with the support received!,Viewing all projects, e.g. hours spent etc Adding hours and time to projects (section to add comments for specifics) Exporting an excel/report for review,Finding the correct tools, I found the menu to be overly complicated and confusing Tracking project numbers - When putting a project in, there's not a lot of information required, which can make it easy without knowing to accidentally replicate a project and have hours billed across both. Tracking open purchase orders - seeing all up to date projects, costs, has been really hard to do.,4TimefoxWe use it to track billable hours and how much we're servicing each client account. It's a easy way to make sure we're servicing specific clients more or less depending on their retainer. Overall, it's an accurate service to ascertain where our "gaps" are in client work.,Track time Provides overview of weeks and months Review of daily activity Providing a timeline of clients needs and projects,Easier to go back and add on previous days if you missed inputting time Great a desktop widget/app that makes it easier to track via TimeFox without login in via a website,5,Better tracking of client servicing Has let to less employee efficiency - they take time out of their day to do it If you forget to do TimeFox, it's near impossible to create an accurate report,10,NoFunctionFox ReviewTimeFox was used to track project milestones, deliverables, and deadlines. We used it to assign designers to certain projects and tasks to help them be more aware of what was going on with the project. We also used TimeFox to start tracking billable hours on a project which was huge for us. Before this we were not using a time tracking device and this made a huge impact on the company.,Tracking billable hours Tracking projects Scheduling Resourcing,More robust calendar Task tracking system (% complete, % of budget spent) More thorough reporting regarding budget Resource allocation (showing if someone is overbooked),5,Increased employee efficiency Employees being more aware of the amount of time they spend on a project versus what has been budgeted Helped to make monthly billing more manageable,Workamajig,Microsoft ProjectSimple, User-Friendly, Clean ReportsI used TimeFox within the Marketing department at the university I worked for. I don't know if other departments at the university used it. It helped keep the timeline and due dates of our projects in order.,TimeFox downloads clean Excel spreadsheets. Not all technology systems do this particularly well. TimeFox has the ability to store a lot of data from many, many years ago. This is helpful when trying to find old marketing jobs completed. TimeFox is pretty intuitive. It isn't particularly difficult to understand the tool and become acquainted with its various functions.,TimeFox was unavailable for use for at least a couple of days during the two years I used it. But the customer service support was excellent during that time.,8,I would say that TimeFox positively attributed to increased employee efficiency, for sure.,,8
FunctionFox

FunctionFox Reviews

FunctionFox

Do you work for this company?

Filter 16 vetted FunctionFox reviews and ratings

Travis Brown profile photo
  • Project Management.
  • Employee Time Tracking.
  • Task Management.
  • Searchability could be improved a bit.
If your organization manages multiple projects (internally, not like a basecamp), and you need to assign tasks and track hours -- this is the software for you!
Read Travis Brown's full review
  • Can track multiple team members' time.
  • Can segment time spent by activity/function type.
  • Can report on time spent by activity/function type.
  • Segmenting. It is so difficult to always select which activity/team you are on, which is a big time suck.
  • It shouldn't take you a significant amount of time to log time, but it does.
  • There is still a lot of improvements that can be made on the reporting side and the overall UI. That could make this a more valuable, tool.
If you are trying to track time across teams or functions, that is really what FunctionFox is designed for. I think this would work better for individual, smaller teams with similar tasks and activities, instead of for larger companies with more complex organizational operations. If you are just getting started with time tracking, this could be a good place to start.
  • With only a couple clicks I can still easily pull reports by employee on a weekly basis which provide the information I need to run payroll.
  • I pull reports by client each month for our monthly client billings, which we have broken down by project so I can easily see how our time was spent on their account.
  • We set a budget for the approved number of hours we can apply to any one project for the month, and the system provides the project manager with a warning as the limit comes near. That function has been fantastic!
  • FunctionFox's Help Desk personnel are wonderful, providing an exceptionally personalized experience. They take their time, and will even schedule a call to go into greater depth, such as an entire account review just to ensure you're able to use all the product features to your company's best advantage. Our entire team jumped on a half hour call a couple months ago, and she answered ALL of our questions, including providing us with info on some features we hadn't realized even existed.
  • We've found it difficult to add new Clients since you need to manually add each of the different types of Projects and Tasks.
  • We have also had to customize it a bit to account for personnel who bill out at multiple different rates, depending on the type of project they're working on.
  • Unfortunately, FunctionFox doesn't currently integrate with QuickBooks, so our move to QBOnline last year means that we still need to manually type in hours and projects when creating a QBO invoice. Integration with QBO has ultimately turned out to be a "must have" feature for us as we've grown, so we'll be moving to T-Sheets in 2019. But I must admit, leaving FunctionFox has been a very difficult choice.
FunctionFox seems particularly well suited for tracking time where there is one billing rate for each individual rather than the scenario where one person is billed out to clients at different rates. It would seem to be most appropriate for smaller organizations (< 10 people) since those with more people would certainly need the ability to have it integrate with QuickBooks. For the price though, it's great for those smaller companies. As we've grown, we've found other applications that are more expensive and more highly adapted to Marketing Agencies in particular. Plus, we now track our expenses directly in QuickBooks vs. using that FunctionFox feature (since the two don't integrate, there's no reason to track them in both places).
Megan De Salvo profile photo
  • Project Time Tracking
  • Employee Time Tracking
  • Analysis for company growth
  • We wish it would integrate with our CRM or QuickBooks better.
Project time management and employee time management is where it shines.
Read Megan De Salvo's full review
Leigh Carter profile photo
  • Ability to break down time allocation to a seemingly limitless number of clients and projects for those clients
  • Flexibility in being able to return to any day or entry and modify it if necessary.
  • Great customer support for any questions, and "hand holding" during early stages of using the product!
  • So far, in my two years of using Function Fox, I haven't found any area that doesn't work well for me, so I have nothing to suggest for improvement.
It's great for each of us to track our time on various tasks within various projects for various clients. Provides a good individual view of work done, and also an overall project-wide, or company-wide view too.
Read Leigh Carter's full review
Jasmine Barnes profile photo
August 01, 2016

Fair FunctionFox

• FunctionFox allows 451 Marketing to pull and customize many different reports, which is important to us both internally and externally.
  • FunctionFox allows 451 Marketing to track time either by exact time, using the timer or by entering time in blocks. That is helpful to us because we have 6 different departments and each department likes to track differently.
  • FunctionFox allows administrators to assign different levels of usage per user.
  • FunctionFox could benefit from making some changes to the over all look and layout of the site.
  • FunctionFox should make some changes as to how many steps there are to complete certain processes, it can often times be unnecessary and can often be troublesome. A simpler process would be beneficial.
  • 451 Marketing is currently changing how we bill, it would be nice to see some easier ways to incorporate this change.
FunctrionFox is good for tracking time, but for the administrator there are too many unnecessary sets to get what is needed.
Read Jasmine Barnes's full review

• FunctionFox makes time tracking easy. The interface for recording time is simple and quick to use, with pull-down menus for clients, projects and tasks, and a choice between recording time manually or with a timer.
  • FunctionFox helps me understand my business better. A wide range of easy-to-generate reports lets me delve down to understand which clients and projects are most (or least) profitable. Tracking estimates against actual fees and hard costs helps me develop more accurate and realistic quotes.
  • FunctionFox makes me more professional. Time-tracking is just the beginning. FunctionFox makes that simple task into a really powerful tool that helps me appear - and be - more professional. It helps me develop comprehensive estimates, ensures better communications with clients during the life of a project, and helps me create accurate and complete invoices. As a freelancer, professionalism is vitally important in establishing and maintaining trust with clients.
  • FunctionFox supports its software with above-and-beyond customer service. Whenever I have had a question about FunctionFox - how to configure it so it works better for me, whether a new feature would be useful to me, how to do something, where to find something - any question, really - is answered right away by a representative that understands my business.
  • FunctionFox doesn't have an accounting function built in, so isn't totally stand alone. The simplicity that brings to the program is great, but it might be nice to have everything in one package.
FunctionFox was designed by and for smaller creative companies. For those companies, it hits the spot - the terminology is right, features and processes are bang on, and the focus is appropriate. This means however, that it is not as well suited to large organizations, or to companies that are not in the creative industry.
Sanket Patel profile photo
  • Time Tracking
  • Project Dashboard
  • Email Remainders & Alerts
  • Project Estimating
  • Budget Tracking
  • Mobile site
  • Mobile App
It is extremely well suited when one needs to track billable and non-billable hours. The only thing I wish they work is on that give the user the ability to select new or different task once related to a particular project once the project has been setup. Overall, it does a great job!
Read Sanket Patel's full review
  • Tracks hours/cost at the project, client or portfolio level.
  • Allows you to pull reports for a number of financial components.
  • Provided all employees have the training, comments are useful to understand what that time was for, especially in situations with over burning etc.
  • The function of the site is not as user-friendly as others, it's sometimes hard to find certain projects and organize data in order to track effectively. I would often need to download/export reports.
  • Sometimes a project would accidentally be created twice and hours billed to two separate projects for the same thing. Which made tracking and billing increasingly difficult.
  • Little to no organization of projects for billing and finance purposes, which makes it hard when we conduct billing as there is not a clear way to know if a project is complete, ongoing, rejected etc.
FunctionFox is especially well suited for really small businesses where there are NOT a lot of people to track, and manage. It really requires people to communicate with each other in order to track projects and communicate all other aspects, but serves as a useful tool to track actual costs over the lifecycle of the project.
January 29, 2016

Timefox

• Track time
  • Provides overview of weeks and months
  • Review of daily activity
  • Providing a timeline of clients needs and projects
  • Easier to go back and add on previous days if you missed inputting time
  • Great a desktop widget/app that makes it easier to track via TimeFox without login in via a website
It's well suited to track billable time and hours, if inputed correctly and on the same day.
March 06, 2015

FunctionFox Review

• Tracking billable hours
  • Tracking projects
  • Scheduling
  • Resourcing
  • More robust calendar
  • Task tracking system (% complete, % of budget spent)
  • More thorough reporting regarding budget
  • Resource allocation (showing if someone is overbooked)
For us the calendar needed to be more robust. There were a lot of different deliverables that we track and that calendar didn't meet our expectation. Also, it would have been helpful if the designers had a queue of tasks so they knew what to work on and what was most important. I feel like Workamajig excels in that area.
  • TimeFox downloads clean Excel spreadsheets. Not all technology systems do this particularly well.
  • TimeFox has the ability to store a lot of data from many, many years ago. This is helpful when trying to find old marketing jobs completed.
  • TimeFox is pretty intuitive. It isn't particularly difficult to understand the tool and become acquainted with its various functions.
  • TimeFox was unavailable for use for at least a couple of days during the two years I used it. But the customer service support was excellent during that time.
I used it for scheduling, so in a situation that requires a lot of data with different dates and broad time periods, this is a great tool. I would ask, "Do you need a tool that shows you when projects are due? Do you need it to be simple, clean, and user-friendly? TimeFox is a good tool for that."

About FunctionFox

FunctionFox is a timesheet and project management solution. The vendor says it is currently used by more than 100,000 creative professionals in more than 120 countries.

The different versions are:

Classic

Classic includes:

• Timesheet with stopwatch timer
  • CEO Desktop project dashboard
  • Project estimating and budget tracking
  • Instant reporting on clients, projects and personnel
  • Calendar with iCalendar integration
  • Email reminders and alerts
Premier

The premier time & project tracking system that includes additional task assignment & scheduling - for teams seeking more advanced project management.

Premier includes all of the features of Classic as well as:

• Action assignment and resource allocation
  • Project Calendar and Scheduling
  • To-Do List with built-in stopwatch timer
  • Timeline Overview
  • Project Blog
  • Additional email alerts, advanced calendaring and more
In-House

The in-house timesheet & reporting system that includes a project request form and multiple reports specific to marketing groups.

In-House includes all of the features of Premier as well as:

• Flink - document exchange & attach files
  • Project Request Form for all outside departments
  • Cycle & Capacity Reports
  • 10 Custom Fields to track additional project information
  • Advanced Report Generator with template reports saving to Excel, CSV, PDF and HTML

FunctionFox Features

Has featureOnline Time-tracking and Project Management
Has featureProject Scheduling, Assigning Work-To-Do's, Tracking Deliverables
Has featureCovers everything you need on a project from concept through to completion including estimates, reporting and invoicing
Has featureIdeal for Creative Professionals looking to improve Productivity and Profitability

FunctionFox Screenshots

TimeFox Lite$20Other
TimeFox Classic$5Per User per Month
TimeFox Premier$10Per User per Month
TimeFox In-House$15Per User per Month

No hidden fees. All customer support, and regular upgrades are included free of charge.

FunctionFox Customer Size Distribution