Gephi for local food system social network analysisI use Gephi in my research on social networks for the local food movement. Gephi allows me to write specific analysis programs and gather data on farm product movement through space in both distance and directionality while also analyzing the embeddedness of social networks.,Gephi enables me to create beautiful, publication-ready graphical images. I can write programs to be incorporated in Gephi. The open-source platform provides versatility and the GUI allows easy use.,I wish the geo layout function worked consistently, but I have learned to work around some of the quirks with the layout view.,10,ArcGIS,8,8Gephi - For MetricsI basically use it for my research on real world networks. My professor helped me in learning about Gephi initially. I use it for calculating centrality metrics on my edge lists. It is not used organizational level. My professor advised me to use this.,As far as my experience gephi provides good mathematical results in calculating Metrics Its helpful as we can directly import our data which is in a .csv file Saving the analyzed data to a .csv is a plus. Its easy to run all the metrics by single click We can filter the columns of metrics and we can export only those we need.,Visualization. Not much graphical as of now in Gephi UI can be much improved. Gets confused between different tabs when used after a long gap.,7,CytoScape,5,Faster access No Idea about the Business as I am not using it in an organizational level,8Gephi - Great Visualization Tool That Could Use Better Export FeaturesAt Quaero, we've used Gephi primarily in our Analytics department for visualizations around social networking. We've used it to look at traffic patterns across websites. This helps as we have discussions with our clients to give them insight into site design and where changes in flow may need to be made. We've also used it to map how individuals are connected across the site, more of a classic social network analysis exercise.,Gephi has a very easy interface to use and get to the tools you need quickly. Without much training or learning, it's pretty simple to figure out. The data import process is very easy in CSV format and the software produces a graph automatically once the correct data is loaded and mapped together (edges and nodes). The visualization is very easy to edit, drag around, and customize. There is flexibility to change the size and color of nodes and edges to represent various characteristics of the graph.,In Gephi, there's really not a great export feature for the map you've created. Screenshots can be taken, but you can't currently export to an image or HTML document. All the interactivity is lost if not using the Gephi file itself. A screenshot does not have nearly the impact as if you could move the edges and nodes around like you can in the software itself. All the text label size is edited by one master control. It would be nice if this would size proportionately with the size of the nodes or if this could be a manual selection at times. With all the edges flowing around, sometimes it's hard to read the text if it's too small or too large.,8,vis.js and d3,9,4Gephi - graph visualization's gateway drugI am the only one using Gephi in my medium-sized company with a relatively large Data team. I needed a graph visualization software and, after looking briefly at a few reviews and features, I chose Gephi and love it. I'm still the only one using it at my company, though, because the application is still pretty advanced research for us.,Gephi's UI, built-in layout, and built-in clustering algorithms make it very easy to get started with (assuming you have some really data and real questions you want answered). Gephi's force atlas layout algorithm and MCL (Louvain) clustering algorithm are both very fast, which I think is crucial for a data visualization tool, because it allows you to play with your data and do intuitive analysis. Gephi's visualization is pretty (and intuitive), which helped me sell the clustering techniques to un-initiated and non-technical managers and executives. Gephi has a pretty large community of support, so when I learn about other clustering algorithms/visualization techniques, it often already exists in a Gephi plug-in.,I (and many others) have had to expand Gephi's memory manually by experimenting with the configuration file. I'm glad it's possible, but it should be easier. Gephi sometimes crashes inexplicably and loses your work, so I have developed a habit of explicitly exporting versions of my graphs as csv's, but I think this should be handled automatically in Gephi. Because it is prone to crash, ideally, Gephi would help the user manage his/her use, by estimating processing and memory for very large tasks and prompting the user to confirm their requests before executing. Instead, I just tend to avoid certain functions.,7,,9,1,8Gui-Based Graph Builder That Anyone Can UseCurrently, Gephi is being used by the IT Business Systems group and perhaps a few members of Research and Product Development. The IT group is always looking for new and interesting ways to visualize our data, and Gephi was the first tool I found that had a quick and easy way to load and analyze data from a graph-centric point of view. The data i played with was a mixture of both traditional business data (financials, customer support, et al) and some DNA sequence data. I shared some of the graphing models with colleagues throughout the lab, and a few of the scientists with a math background gave Gephi for a test run as well. They too are also on the hunt for new/cool ways to visually represent sequence data.,In comparison to other tools such as GraphWiz or Circos, Gephi comes with an intuitive, easy-to-use interface that makes it easy to load your data, and quickly start building all sorts of different graphs. There's absolutely no code that needs to be written for either loading or modeling. And without downloading additional plug-ins, Gephi ships with quite a few standard graph models, as well as some "fun" extras such as the Sierpinski triangle, and a variety of force atlas types. Most of the layout types (maybe all) are highly configurable, which can make for extremely customized and unique displays of your data. Again, none of this requires the user to write any code. That said, it is possible to script custom functionality for your models, or even update the Java source code yourself, if you feel like getting technical. Gephi builds are available on GitHub, and the developers encourage people to contribute ideas, improvements, and plug-ins. There's a plug-in for Gephi that allows for streaming data to update your model. This essentially allows you to create near realtime graphs of your data in motion. This plug-in was by far the biggest reaston we invested time in the product; to create animated data visualizations without exhaustive hours in development.,At one point, there was an issue with files built in earlier builds not working in newer builds. I typically like to update products as soon as updates are available, but i wound up having to run separate version of Gephi if i wanted to check out what was new. Any models built in prior versions would then have to be recreated in newer versions if I wanted to leverage new features. Documentation; you can never have enough of it. Since much of the product is being built by a variety of contributors, it's hard to document how all the features and plug-ins work. It would be great if the the Gephi team could find a body of resources to manage some sort of global product documentation. There are plenty of 3rd party videos and documents online, however, that do cover some of the specifics.,10,,8,8
Gephi

Gephi Reviews

Gephi
Filter 16 vetted Gephi reviews and ratings
Catherine Brinkley profile photo
September 06, 2016

Review: "Gephi for local food system social network analysis"

• Gephi enables me to create beautiful, publication-ready graphical images.
  • I can write programs to be incorporated in Gephi.
  • The open-source platform provides versatility and the GUI allows easy use.
  • I wish the geo layout function worked consistently, but I have learned to work around some of the quirks with the layout view.
Gephi is wonderfully suited for research and conducting follow-up social network analysis that GIS is too cumbersome for. It is less-well-suited for spatial statistical modeling, which is easier in programs like GeoDA, Stata, R, and GIS.
Read Catherine Brinkley's full review
Vikas Thotakuri profile photo
April 27, 2016

User Review: "Gephi - For Metrics"

• As far as my experience gephi provides good mathematical results in calculating Metrics
  • Its helpful as we can directly import our data which is in a .csv file
  • Saving the analyzed data to a .csv is a plus. Its easy to run all the metrics by single click
  • We can filter the columns of metrics and we can export only those we need.
  • Visualization. Not much graphical as of now in Gephi
  • UI can be much improved. Gets confused between different tabs when used after a long gap.
Visualization, metric calculation, UI. finding graph properties.
Read Vikas Thotakuri's full review
Cory Hefner profile photo
September 01, 2015

Review: "Gephi - Great Visualization Tool That Could Use Better Export Features"

• Gephi has a very easy interface to use and get to the tools you need quickly. Without much training or learning, it's pretty simple to figure out.
  • The data import process is very easy in CSV format and the software produces a graph automatically once the correct data is loaded and mapped together (edges and nodes).
  • The visualization is very easy to edit, drag around, and customize. There is flexibility to change the size and color of nodes and edges to represent various characteristics of the graph.
  • In Gephi, there's really not a great export feature for the map you've created. Screenshots can be taken, but you can't currently export to an image or HTML document.
  • All the interactivity is lost if not using the Gephi file itself. A screenshot does not have nearly the impact as if you could move the edges and nodes around like you can in the software itself.
  • All the text label size is edited by one master control. It would be nice if this would size proportionately with the size of the nodes or if this could be a manual selection at times. With all the edges flowing around, sometimes it's hard to read the text if it's too small or too large.
It is well suited for projects that are more discovery related. If this is a one-time project that we create a visual for, this would definitely make sense to use. If this is an ongoing analysis (monthly for example), we might look to another software that we would be able to automate a little further in how the visualization comes together.
Read Cory Hefner's full review
Timothy Perisho profile photo
April 08, 2015

Review: "Gephi - graph visualization's gateway drug"

• Gephi's UI, built-in layout, and built-in clustering algorithms make it very easy to get started with (assuming you have some really data and real questions you want answered).
  • Gephi's force atlas layout algorithm and MCL (Louvain) clustering algorithm are both very fast, which I think is crucial for a data visualization tool, because it allows you to play with your data and do intuitive analysis.
  • Gephi's visualization is pretty (and intuitive), which helped me sell the clustering techniques to un-initiated and non-technical managers and executives.
  • Gephi has a pretty large community of support, so when I learn about other clustering algorithms/visualization techniques, it often already exists in a Gephi plug-in.
  • I (and many others) have had to expand Gephi's memory manually by experimenting with the configuration file. I'm glad it's possible, but it should be easier.
  • Gephi sometimes crashes inexplicably and loses your work, so I have developed a habit of explicitly exporting versions of my graphs as csv's, but I think this should be handled automatically in Gephi.
  • Because it is prone to crash, ideally, Gephi would help the user manage his/her use, by estimating processing and memory for very large tasks and prompting the user to confirm their requests before executing. Instead, I just tend to avoid certain functions.
I would recommend Gephi for easy ramp-up and fast graph visualization, especially for SNA (Social Network Analysis) and community discovery in general. It makes it easy to experiment with new techniques and explore your data intuitively, and even intuitively evaluate some more advanced techniques like clustering. However, if the user is already pretty advanced in graph analysis or wants specific algorithms and functions, they should look to see whether those exist in Gephi plug-ins and compare it to plug-ins in R, Cytoscape, yEd and other data visualization solutions. In particular, I have found that Tulip, although, harder to learn at first, fills many of the gaps left by Gephi. Still, it is so easy to get started on Gephi that I might still recommend it to someone who knows they will need a more sophisticated product like Tulip down-the-road.
Read Timothy Perisho's full review
Ben Huntley profile photo
November 04, 2014

Gephi Review: "Gui-Based Graph Builder That Anyone Can Use"

• In comparison to other tools such as GraphWiz or Circos, Gephi comes with an intuitive, easy-to-use interface that makes it easy to load your data, and quickly start building all sorts of different graphs. There's absolutely no code that needs to be written for either loading or modeling. And without downloading additional plug-ins, Gephi ships with quite a few standard graph models, as well as some "fun" extras such as the Sierpinski triangle, and a variety of force atlas types.
  • Most of the layout types (maybe all) are highly configurable, which can make for extremely customized and unique displays of your data. Again, none of this requires the user to write any code. That said, it is possible to script custom functionality for your models, or even update the Java source code yourself, if you feel like getting technical. Gephi builds are available on GitHub, and the developers encourage people to contribute ideas, improvements, and plug-ins.
  • There's a plug-in for Gephi that allows for streaming data to update your model. This essentially allows you to create near realtime graphs of your data in motion. This plug-in was by far the biggest reaston we invested time in the product; to create animated data visualizations without exhaustive hours in development.
  • At one point, there was an issue with files built in earlier builds not working in newer builds. I typically like to update products as soon as updates are available, but i wound up having to run separate version of Gephi if i wanted to check out what was new. Any models built in prior versions would then have to be recreated in newer versions if I wanted to leverage new features.
  • Documentation; you can never have enough of it. Since much of the product is being built by a variety of contributors, it's hard to document how all the features and plug-ins work. It would be great if the the Gephi team could find a body of resources to manage some sort of global product documentation. There are plenty of 3rd party videos and documents online, however, that do cover some of the specifics.
If anyone ever asked me "what mathematical graphing tool should I use", Gephi would be my first answer. At the very least, it's an excellent prototyping tool. I would be wary, however, if someone needed to use the product for large scale production output. It's finicky at times and does require a little "jiggling of the handle" to get things to work, but I'm sure the kinks will be worked out as the product matures.
Read Ben Huntley's full review
David Hala profile photo
April 26, 2014

User Review: "Network Analysis with Gephi"

I have used Gephi personally, for my own research. I have a 2014 paper published in the Journal of Theoretical Biology in which I present a network map plotted with Gephi (Hala and Huggett 2014).
  • Excellent construction and visualization of network graphs.
  • Excellent 'mapping' of edge weights to network graphs.
  • Convenient calculations of graph metrics such as degree and betweenness centrality.
  • Maybe an easier way to import data. I had to import source data as a Pajek file.
Gephi is a good tool for biological network construction and visualization.
Read David Hala's full review
Daniel Addyson profile photo
April 26, 2014

"Gephi review"

I worked for a digital media startup doing political and consumer brand analysis. I used Gephi for network analysis of relationships between facebook and twitter users to do GOTV outreach. I am now in insurance recovery auditing and plan to use it for analysis of commonalities between patient pools and providers who overcharge for services.
  • Define strength of relationships based on custom weighting variables.
  • Common algorithms for defining connectedness
  • Visualizations run on a spreadsheet-formatted table, which makes use more intuitive to non-programming experts
  • Would like to see better documentation on the product in general.
  • Make spreadsheet-based data backend more user friendly
  • Better options for tailoring predefined algorithms.
  • Needs to have direct hookup to live data sources (SQL server, Hadoop, Google Analytics, etc)
Consider data size before using.
Read Daniel Addyson's full review
Shrawan Raina profile photo
April 23, 2014

Review: "Gephi for analyzing Social Media - Education"

I used Gephi primarily during my graduate study for a course on Analyzing social media network. I have used Gephi along with Node XL for studying social media networks primarily Facebook and Twitter. It was also used during the final project for determining patterns in hash-tags used via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram during natural calamity and how that aided government and other organizations (radio channels) in sending important message across masses.
  • Visualization of any graph based network. A visual network is easier to comprehend than have a table displaying the relation
  • It provides several algorithms that can help in data clustering based on the input parameters (no. of nodes, degree and such).
  • There are several statistics that can be run on the data to obtain useful information like betweenness, modularity, avg. degree which prove crucial for analysis
  • NodeXL is a similar tool as part of Microsoft Excel and it provides a feature of connecting with social media websites and extracting data from there, however Gephi depends on third-party apps for such service.
It is a perfect tool for analyzing social media and other similar graphed networks (transportation system). It can be used to develop social profile of individuals and I see a lot of scope in the advertising industry of this particular product for micro targeting consumers.
Read Shrawan Raina's full review
Sofia Papastamelos profile photo
May 08, 2014

Review: "Successful Data Visualization Student Project w/Gephi"

I used Gephi as a student for an information systems/data-focused course. I chose an organization that ran events and then performed a network analysis on their networking event attendees in order to identify key influencers and strategies on how to grow the organization.
  • Easy to filter the data based on different criteria.
  • Good for data visualization of networks.
  • Easy to zoom into different nodes.
  • A friend helped me to import that data -this process was outside my expertise.
  • The UI took some time getting used to. I spent a while formatting my graph before I could really obtain a good view of the network.
  • I would like an easier way to organize the different views of the data, I had a lot of tabs open that quickly cluttered my workspace.
I haven't used enough products like this to provide a good answer.
Read Sofia Papastamelos's full review
Shreya Singh profile photo
May 01, 2014

Gephi Review: "Good Product worth using"

I took the Social Networks Analytics course in my Master's degree and found it very comfortable and good to work with.
  • Gephi is a very strong analytical tool, work so well with huge data.
  • Graphical repesentation of analysed data was good and easy understandable.
  • Work with many number of degrees
  • Not readable
Read Shreya Singh's full review
September 11, 2015

User Review: "Gephi is great!"

We used Gephi as the last phase of our big data analysis pipeline. After generating the desired metrics with Hadoop, and using a Java interface we could generate fully customized, sophisticated and intuitive pictures of our results, so that our customer could make sense of the huge complexity of the problem and the proposed solution to improve their business.
  • Clustering
  • Visualization
  • Customization
  • Documentation on how to use Gephi as a library is not enough.
  • Performance of algorithms might be improved by making use of GPU power in recent computers.
  • Do you know what type of clustering you need to best explain your data? If not, then Gephi GUI is your tool.
  • Once you know what type of clustering algorithms you want, then Gephi as a library is even better.
May 03, 2014

Gephi Review: "Amazing Tool To Create Dynamic Dashboards"

My team used Gephi to report customer level spend pattern and behavior for a large consumer cards base. We used Gephi to create dynamic dashboards that can present some amazing data visualization and clearly bring out the story and position a strong case for further exploration.
  • Wide variety of Dynamic Graphs & Charts
  • Handling large volume of data and making it almost real-time, fast without and delay in intraction with the charts
  • Ability to work on geospatial data
  • Ease of integration with traditional statistical data sets, like raw SAS datasets
  • Need high end laptops with larger memory to be able to get the best experience
Recommended for situations where you need to create dynamic or geospatial representation of your data. Gives maximum leverage and scope where you need to use huge data for first draft/preliminary hypothesis checks.

Pixel Perfect reports (1)
Customizable dashboards (2)
Report Formatting Templates (3)
Drill-down analysis (2)
Formatting capabilities (3)
2.2
Integration with R or other statistical packages (1)
Report sharing and collaboration (1)
Publish to Web (1)
Publish to PDF (2)
Report Versioning (1)
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.) (3)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization (2)
3.1
Predictive Analytics (1)
Multi-User Support (named login) (1)

About Gephi