Gliffy is an online diagramming tool with collaboration features from the San Francisco company of the same name, offering standalone versions of Gliffy and integrated versions for Jira and Confluence.Getting Gliffy with it!We use Gliffy to easily create diagrams and process flows to help others understand the steps necessary in our enhancement submission process. Gliffy lets you get down to business without opening an account. Create your diagram first, worry about saving it later. The first thing you'll see when you start working in the Flash interface is a large dialog inviting you to pick a template. These are subdivided into nine categories, spanning the gamut from web design and Venn diagrams to flowcharts and UML (Universal Modeling Language, used in programming).,Ease of use Templates make getting started fast and simple Intuitive Flash interface makes it easy learn for beginners,The limitation on the color customization of the diagrams. There are bugs in the view via web browsers like Google Chrome Should provide an ability to download diagrams in various available formats,9,Favorite Confluence plugin. I use this extensively at work. It has just about everything for creating diagrams - flowcharts, floorplans, electrical diagrams, rack diagrams etc. I think it rivals (maybe even surpasses) Visio. It is easy and simple to use.,Microsoft Visio, Lucidchart, Creately and draw.io,Google Analytics Premium, Oracle Eloqua, Twilio SMSGliffy & G-Suite Offers Information PortabilityWe use Gliffy as an add on in our Google Doc templates in G-Suite. Gliffy offers us a bit of flexibility when we are using flowcharts to describe processes and other similar applications. Gliffy, offering a better low-cost solution than competitors, (lucid charts etc) is sufficient for most of our charting applications.,Low-cost quick solutions Basic, professional looking flowcharts & org charts Great integration into Google Docs & G-Suite,The shapes library isn't as large as some competitors Not ideal for finely-detailed work (I switch to other products when laying out circuits/schematics etc),10,Because of the integration to G-Suite we have only positive impacts Gliffy allows us to rapidly scale information through our organisation,Lucidchart,HubSpot CRM, Xero, GustoIdea to Model - FastGliffy is a tool used across the organization in a variety of capacities, from modeling user interfaces to process and data modelling. There is heavy use in the solutions engineering and best practices teams as they work daily with customers to understand their current business challenges (process, data etc.) and brainstorm with them to improve future states. Gliffy is a tool most if not all of those teams use to visualize these discussions in real time. Gliffy diagrams also serve as a great reference post call and in subsequent discussions.,The drag & drop interface enables ideas to take shape very quickly. I can ease model discussions live as they are happening and our customers are often impressed with how fast we can accurately represent their processes, data architectures, and organizational priorities Once diagrams are complete, it's fairly easy to share via export to JPG or creation of a share link. As I mentioned in the introduction, I will create share links for all of my diagrams and share them with customers and internal sales teams as an ongoing reference. I have also recently started using the comments to gather feedback from view-only roles on models created, which is nice The pre-made templates provide a great starting point for visualizing common business discussions. I use 5-10 diagram objects frequently and having them pop up as "most used" makes creating fast. I'm also keen on making the diagram look good, so I'm thankful Gliffy has implemented a grid and alignment tools to make layout of objects straight forward.,I have had some trouble saving complex diagrams and viewing them on the fly. On a handful of occasions, diagrams are unable to save, which means I either need to try to "save as" a separate diagram, or I am perpetually stuck trying to "load" recent changes. Overall, this means I always have a slight lingering fear that my diagrams aren't fully saved or recoverable. Support has been pretty responsive helping me to reload corrupted diagrams. Adding Text, Notes, and Images can be a challenge. While laying out objects with simple text is a strength, adding formatted text and commentary can be a challenge. I often find my objects ghost-moving all over the screen and lost. I'd love a drag-and-drop way to load images in to diagrams. The process is a bit cumbersome with the file upload wizard. Template environments - I struggled a bit to try to create a default starting point for my diagrams. I've tried to load common libraries and ignore others, those settings are often ignore upon reload. I'd love to use the same 10 objects and ignore the rest, I am not able (yet) to create this scenario, though there may be more to learn. Searching, Indexing, Retrieving my diagrams. As part of an enterprise plan, I find there are too many clicks required to a) find/search for my diagrams and b) save diagrams into my Gliffy folder. In our implementation I can see all folders for all of my colleagues, and need to drill down a bit before I get to my folder, where I can actually search my documents in a list. I'd prefer a more intuitive way to land on my diagrams and to organize them (e.g., by customer) so that I can access them more quickly.,7,Hard to quantify actual $ROI (always is!), though qualitatively I've receive consistent feedback that live modeling with Gliffy is highly valuable for both our customers and internal team: a) For customers, it's live feedback to demonstrate we are listening and an opportunity to comment / add feedback to ensure we are hitting on key points b) For internal teams, it's a great reference to track key points on calls and ensure alignment going into the next call This is particularly important when discussions stall for months. Having Gliffy as a visual has helped us to win business because of the speed with which we could return to "the arena" and keep the ball moving forward.,Lucidchart,Microsoft FlowWant to Know How Your Process Really Works? Get it in Gliffy and You'll Possibly be Shocked!We use Gliffy for a number of reasons. The biggest one was visualizing our Org Chart and using colors, etc., to add emphasis and help us make decisions. We also use it to quickly visualize workflows for various systems and processes. Typically it's used by our operations team and hasn't been used outside of that team, at least not often. That's not a knock of Gliffy but more of a reflection for how we operate.,First it's important to point out that Gliffy has priced itself incredibly well for small to medium sized businesses. Most other similar solutions are so expensive that organizations will avoid getting workflow software overall. Gliffy can take pride in knowing they're helping small business operate better. Gliffy is incredibly easy to use for a first time user. I rarely have to train someone on how to use it. It's a lot of fun to see people get excited about systems and processes when using Gliffy. If you need to get up and running quickly I can't think of a better solution for workflow visualization. I also like using Gliffy for mindmapping. I'm sure some mindmapping experts can tell me how I'm doing that incorrectly, but it just works for me. This points to the ease with which Gliffy allows you to get your thoughts down quickly and easily.,I would love to see Gliffy have some kind of integration that allows us to automatically update our org chart. I can see why that would be difficult, but if they could do that I'd be having Gliffy tattoos and name my dog Gliffy. Offline usage, of course, isn't really there. Minor for a world always connected, but that would be a nice to have. Honestly there isn't really anything major to knock Gliffy for. It's a great solution overall.,10,For the price you can't beat Gliffy. Our options really came down to OverPricedSolution, Gliffy, or Nothing. Gliffy has every feature we need and is inexpensive so it made the decision easy. There's been no negative impact by using Gliffy.,Microsoft Visio,Atlassian Confluence, JIRA Software,10Bring your workflows, diagrams, and processes to life with Gliffy!Gliffy is being used in our organization of about 200 by about 60 team members in IT. The main problem is addresses we embedding workflows, diagrams and work break down structures within company wide confluence pages. The organization needed a solution outside of Visio that was easy to use, required little training and was able to be editable within confluence in a single pane of operation.,Gliffy makes use of its templates and tutorials very very well. Out of the box, it is easy to use and does not require stopping your production workflow to get your staff up to speed. The support on their side and videos make this easy to use and produce buy-in from team members. Gliffy's plug into confluence is very strong. It feels as if its part of the product itself and not even a plugin. The fact it does not pull the workflow down locally to edit it and keeping it within the page during editing really helps limit version issues.,Gliffy does need to improve its pricing model. I believe they were early to market with their product and offerings, however, with the increased competitors they are falling behind in keeping their prices competitive. Gliffy does need to increase its export conversion migration tools. I can understand why they would not want to port items uses by their products to another product but we are in a world where products need to play nice with others in good faith. It can be done, but you do need to check over what you port either incoming or outgoing. Would like to see Gliffy allow us to build templates and import them into the repository and have increased the ability to archive those, share and have owners.,8,Gliffy had a positive ROI on our initial efforts in getting team members to map out their workflows, provide them in confluence through its integration and get them distributed to our organization. The ease of use was a huge success for adoption. Gliffy did seem to have unfriendly costs. Even as a customer for years that signs year-long contracts the price needle did not move much. Enterprise-wide software is expected to have discounts at a bulk buy within the industry. Gliffy for the first time provided a tool for us to put our thoughts in a shareable format. It paved the way for increased organization and getting to buy into pre-existing processes.,Creates Competent ContentWe use Gliffy sporadically across the development teams. I personally use it when creating network architecture diagrams for customer-facing documents, and many developers have also created software architecture diagrams to create onboarding and reference documents for bringing new developers up to speed on the product.,Robust asset libraries to match legacy Visio documents or use familiar iconography from vendor documents/diagrams. Integrates with Confluence to make diagramming within our internal wiki simple. Decent fine-tuning of illustrations to match size/style constraints of documents (curve radius, text size, etc.),Some simple tasks like creating basic elements can involve more work than you'd expect. There are no immediately apparent or customizable shortcuts or hotkeys for some common tasks. Needs to have ways to limit the styling of a document. It can be tough to collaborate when someone else will, for example, use a different Firewall icon than the one you've been using.,7,For whatever reason it was an easier sell than getting everyone access to Visio. So it stopped us from getting hung up on a bottleneck of 1 or 2 licensed users. It's allowed proactive developers to create valuable reference and training material. This moved us from relying on oral history to learn the architecture to having a single point of reference for new hires. This probably took a full day off of new hire onboarding.,Microsoft Visio,Atlassian Confluence, Microsoft Office 365, MadCap Flare,20,Gliffy is totally worth it!Gliffy has been a very helpful tool with ironing out multi-step processes and sketching out automated marketing workflows before building them.,Ease of use Clean interface Lots of options,I don't have any major issues with Gliffy,10,It's helped me to win work from clients It's helped to visually display processes to a large team It's a nice feature to add into a presentation,RavenTools, Moz, HotjarGliffy is Spiffy!We use Gliffy across the organization as a plugin-in to Confluence. With the need to document in diagram, workflow, and picture form Gliffy is able to give us a simple tool to get our point across easily. Given our dependence on information and knowledge storage in Confluence a tool that can be embedded and maintained directly in the pages is invaluable.,Many templates to utilize as a quick start. Embedded inside of Confluence pages. Clean visual interface and objects.,It is not as robust as higher end tools in regards to object options and breadth of visualization options. Some versions of Gliffy were buggy and work was lost. Always felt like the properties box should be persistent, not a selection each time you needed it displayed.,8,Knowledge is easily visualized. The time it takes to create workflows that are in line with business processes is drastically decreased as compared to PowerPoint. All information and knowledge is in one spot.,Microsoft Visio,Atlassian Confluence, Information Builders WebFOCUS, Microsoft SQL Server
Gliffy

Richard Perroset profile photo
July 02, 2019

Getting Gliffy with it!

• Ease of use
  • Templates make getting started fast and simple
  • Intuitive Flash interface makes it easy learn for beginners
  • The limitation on the color customization of the diagrams.
  • There are bugs in the view via web browsers like Google Chrome
  • Should provide an ability to download diagrams in various available formats
Easy to use tool, with a lot of options available allowing you to create diagrams of various categories like DFD, ER diagrams etc. Very extensive library for various kinds of shape. Availability to be used with Confluence is a great feature, where we create diagrams online and can embed these to our documentation. Having the Gliffy plugin for Confluence is really helpful. Helps to collaborate and capture feedback online. Pricing is very reasonable in comparison to similar tools available in the market.
Read Richard Perroset's full review
Sarah Whiteford profile photo
May 29, 2019

Gliffy & G-Suite Offers Information Portability

• Low-cost quick solutions
  • Basic, professional looking flowcharts & org charts
  • Great integration into Google Docs & G-Suite
  • The shapes library isn't as large as some competitors
  • Not ideal for finely-detailed work (I switch to other products when laying out circuits/schematics etc)
I specifically like Gliffy for users who are not familiar with flow charting programs and require a little more functionality than a Google image can offer. We use it primarily in the flow-charting of processes and have previously used the "swim lane" function heavily.
Read Sarah Whiteford's full review
Peter Rifken profile photo
March 14, 2019

Idea to Model - Fast

• The drag & drop interface enables ideas to take shape very quickly. I can ease model discussions live as they are happening and our customers are often impressed with how fast we can accurately represent their processes, data architectures, and organizational priorities
  • Once diagrams are complete, it's fairly easy to share via export to JPG or creation of a share link. As I mentioned in the introduction, I will create share links for all of my diagrams and share them with customers and internal sales teams as an ongoing reference. I have also recently started using the comments to gather feedback from view-only roles on models created, which is nice
  • The pre-made templates provide a great starting point for visualizing common business discussions. I use 5-10 diagram objects frequently and having them pop up as "most used" makes creating fast. I'm also keen on making the diagram look good, so I'm thankful Gliffy has implemented a grid and alignment tools to make layout of objects straight forward.
  • I have had some trouble saving complex diagrams and viewing them on the fly. On a handful of occasions, diagrams are unable to save, which means I either need to try to "save as" a separate diagram, or I am perpetually stuck trying to "load" recent changes. Overall, this means I always have a slight lingering fear that my diagrams aren't fully saved or recoverable. Support has been pretty responsive helping me to reload corrupted diagrams.
  • Adding Text, Notes, and Images can be a challenge. While laying out objects with simple text is a strength, adding formatted text and commentary can be a challenge. I often find my objects ghost-moving all over the screen and lost. I'd love a drag-and-drop way to load images in to diagrams. The process is a bit cumbersome with the file upload wizard.
  • Template environments - I struggled a bit to try to create a default starting point for my diagrams. I've tried to load common libraries and ignore others, those settings are often ignore upon reload. I'd love to use the same 10 objects and ignore the rest, I am not able (yet) to create this scenario, though there may be more to learn.
  • Searching, Indexing, Retrieving my diagrams. As part of an enterprise plan, I find there are too many clicks required to a) find/search for my diagrams and b) save diagrams into my Gliffy folder. In our implementation I can see all folders for all of my colleagues, and need to drill down a bit before I get to my folder, where I can actually search my documents in a list. I'd prefer a more intuitive way to land on my diagrams and to organize them (e.g., by customer) so that I can access them more quickly.
Gliffy is suited well for:
  • Business Process Modeling (current states, desired future states), including swim lane diagrams or simple arrow-forward flows
  • Data architecture Modeling (lay out systems in a network, applications in a connected ecosystem)
  • Organizational Chart Building (who reports to whom)
Gliffy is less well suited for
  • Note taking - I still use it for note taking as I love laying visuals next to key points, though it's not great
  • Handling imported images - Again, I do it, though it's not a reliable process I repeat unless I need the image in there
  • Complex diagrams that push the physical boundaries of the work space, and especially when images are included
Read Peter Rifken's full review
Chris Widner profile photo
February 01, 2019

• First it's important to point out that Gliffy has priced itself incredibly well for small to medium sized businesses. Most other similar solutions are so expensive that organizations will avoid getting workflow software overall. Gliffy can take pride in knowing they're helping small business operate better.
  • Gliffy is incredibly easy to use for a first time user. I rarely have to train someone on how to use it. It's a lot of fun to see people get excited about systems and processes when using Gliffy. If you need to get up and running quickly I can't think of a better solution for workflow visualization.
  • I also like using Gliffy for mindmapping. I'm sure some mindmapping experts can tell me how I'm doing that incorrectly, but it just works for me. This points to the ease with which Gliffy allows you to get your thoughts down quickly and easily.
  • I would love to see Gliffy have some kind of integration that allows us to automatically update our org chart. I can see why that would be difficult, but if they could do that I'd be having Gliffy tattoos and name my dog Gliffy.
  • Offline usage, of course, isn't really there. Minor for a world always connected, but that would be a nice to have.
  • Honestly there isn't really anything major to knock Gliffy for. It's a great solution overall.
Perhaps workflow experts could tell you why Gliffy is failing in some categories, but I'm no expert and it does everything I need. If you need to visualize workflows for people it is simply fantastic. It's so user-friendly that you can get people up and running in no time at all. Super easy to support and just works!
Read Chris Widner's full review
Jesse Bickel, MS - PMP profile photo
February 14, 2019

Bring your workflows, diagrams, and processes to life with Gliffy!

• Gliffy makes use of its templates and tutorials very very well. Out of the box, it is easy to use and does not require stopping your production workflow to get your staff up to speed. The support on their side and videos make this easy to use and produce buy-in from team members.
  • Gliffy's plug into confluence is very strong. It feels as if its part of the product itself and not even a plugin. The fact it does not pull the workflow down locally to edit it and keeping it within the page during editing really helps limit version issues.
  • Gliffy does need to improve its pricing model. I believe they were early to market with their product and offerings, however, with the increased competitors they are falling behind in keeping their prices competitive.
  • Gliffy does need to increase its export conversion migration tools. I can understand why they would not want to port items uses by their products to another product but we are in a world where products need to play nice with others in good faith. It can be done, but you do need to check over what you port either incoming or outgoing.
  • Would like to see Gliffy allow us to build templates and import them into the repository and have increased the ability to archive those, share and have owners.
Gliffy is well suited if you are in the market for a workflow or networking diagram software for your business. They have more tools than most competitors that I have seen, however, they do seem to have a slightly increased cost over its competitors.
Read Jesse Bickel, MS - PMP's full review
Michael Slavin profile photo

Creates Competent Content

• Robust asset libraries to match legacy Visio documents or use familiar iconography from vendor documents/diagrams.
  • Integrates with Confluence to make diagramming within our internal wiki simple.
  • Decent fine-tuning of illustrations to match size/style constraints of documents (curve radius, text size, etc.)
  • Some simple tasks like creating basic elements can involve more work than you'd expect. There are no immediately apparent or customizable shortcuts or hotkeys for some common tasks.
  • Needs to have ways to limit the styling of a document. It can be tough to collaborate when someone else will, for example, use a different Firewall icon than the one you've been using.
I think it's a viable alternative to Visio for most use cases. It's not my preferred tool, but it's becoming a standard tool in the industry, and it fills that niche well. It will handle most diagrams and flowcharts well. It's great for one-off or internal docs where ultimate polish isn't really necessary. It's simple to use so it won't require training. It doesn't play well with source control so I don't like it for frequently revised documents. If you have folks making single-slide PowerPoint presentations just to use the illustration tools (UGH!), this is valuable. If the outputs are valuable parts of your collateral, this may not be quite robust enough.
Read Michael Slavin's full review
Cory Runk profile photo
February 01, 2019

Gliffy is totally worth it!

• Ease of use
  • Clean interface
  • Lots of options
  • I don't have any major issues with Gliffy
It's great for when you need to scope out a long, multi-step process that can be to difficult to mentally picture.
Read Cory Runk's full review

Gliffy is Spiffy!

• Many templates to utilize as a quick start.
  • Embedded inside of Confluence pages.
  • Clean visual interface and objects.
  • It is not as robust as higher end tools in regards to object options and breadth of visualization options.
  • Some versions of Gliffy were buggy and work was lost.
  • Always felt like the properties box should be persistent, not a selection each time you needed it displayed.
Gliffy is a great tool for creating high level workflows and diagrams to expound on details of a topic. The versioning feature is great to compare or revert prior versions as things change over time or clarifications come up. As we have it installed currently it is only for use inside of Atlassian Confluence, but having a standalone designer may be nice for other applications. It is easy to use for most business users.

About Gliffy