Google Chat Reviews

November 20, 2020
Kristi R-C, CTS, CQT | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Google Hangouts Chat primarily when "visiting" school groups to talk about careers in the performing arts and for audio-visual companies. Because many schools use Chromebooks, sticking with the Google family of products makes it easy for teachers, parents, and school administrators to use the product both inside and outside the school walls.

I also occasionally use it to meet clients.
  • Security for kids in school
  • Easy to load
  • Intuitive usage, which makes is more user friendly than things like GoToMeeting
  • I'm not convinced about the security
  • Often "laggy"
  • Audio isn't consistently good--better with headset mic
Google Hangouts Chat is well suited for those K-12 schools where you need to manage a group of students who are on Chromebooks and need to communicate with their classmates. The way it works is simple enough for the kids to be able to use it, and the teachers like the fact that all students are doing the same thing.
I have not needed to contact the support folks for Google Hangouts Chat, so I can't speak to this with any accuracy. The online instructions are fairly clearly written, so it is fairly intuitive to start with. I did not feel the need to use the support people anyway.
Read Kristi R-C, CTS, CQT's full review
November 24, 2020
At Fingent, we use Hangouts Chat for all the internal communication, standups, meetings and chat. It does the job perfectly well. we recently switched to Google Hangouts Chat from Hangouts. Hangouts was actually buggy and had frequent crashes but the new chat is stable. Most of the time I use Google Hangouts Chat on my iPhone.
  • Audio calls
  • Chat
  • Rooms
  • Video call
  • Meetings
  • When I use the iPhone app, my phone gets overheated
  • Performance optimization
  • Bring some fun AR filters to video calls
Google Hangouts Chat is one of the best chat/call/communications app for business organisations like ours, 95% of our team is working from different parts of the world so efficient communications is always important to us. Google Hangouts Chat has everything to achieve that important communication part of our organisation.
I haven't used that so far, so that's a plus point that I don't have to contact the support team.
August 26, 2020
We use Google Hangouts company-wide. It is perfect for our mobile environment and the need for quick responses in urgent situations. Our technologists and marketing team in the field are able to easily reach out to our corporate office for quick questions and save everyone a phone call. It is also very helpful to our dispatch/customer service team to communicate efficiently when some of the team is in-office, while others work from home.
  • It is user-friendly.
  • Helps encourage multi-tasking in a fast-pace environment.
  • Is easily accessible from Gmail or my desktop.
  • Reminder notifications would be very helpful to ensure nothing is missed.
  • Some sort of alert or chime to get another user's attention.
  • Enables/encourages an increase in workplace gossip.
I would highly recommend Google hangouts. It is extremely helpful in increasing communication, especially in an environment like the one we have here. We are a mobile workplace, with a lot of employees that work from home or in the field, and Google Hangouts helps connect everyone. It is the easiest way for people to quickly get answers or to make others aware of breaks, etc. As someone who hates talking on the phone, Google Hangouts is my preferred method of communication.

Mobile Access (2)
Search (3)
Chat (3)
Notifications (3)
Discussions (2)
Surveys (2)
Internal knowledgebase (2)
Integrates with Gmail and Google Hangouts (1)
Versioning (1)
Video files (2)
6.0
Audio files (1)
Document collaboration (1)
Access control (1)
Advanced security features (2)
Integrates with Google Drive (2)
Device sync (2)

What is Google Chat?

Google Chat, formerly Hangouts Chat, is a collaboration tool competing with Slack, designed to make it easy for teams to be able to get their work done in one place. From direct messages to group conversations, Chat helps teams collaborate, and with dedicated, virtual rooms to house projects over time — plus threaded conversations — Chat helps users track progress and follow up tasks. Chat currently supports 28 languages and each room can support up to 8,000 members.