Google Hangouts is a communication platform that includes messaging, voice, VoIP, and video call capabilities. This platform is part of Google’s G Suite offering and integrates with applications such as Gmail and Google+. Pricing for G Suite plans range from $5-$25 per user per month.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/FW/BA/WDUTHVBLRTQX.pngGoogle Hangouts makes communication much easier.Our organization has decided to do G-suite migration in order to increase the overall performance of all the divisions in the organization. One of the widely used application after G-suite migration was Google Hangouts. We have done a user awareness and training session before they actually started working with this application and I was one of the speakers of this session. When employees started using Google Hangouts we realized that it leads us to achieve so many goals both organizational and departmental-wide. One of the biggest issue we had was allocating IT trainees when an employee faces technical issues. With in-built screen sharing feature in Google Hangouts finally, we were able to solve all those technical issues without going to the user. Also, we have seen that some divisions changed the way of having their regular meetings. They have switched to video call conference facility in Google Hangouts to do their meetings. This saved a lot of time and these departments were able to deliver their work on time.,Voice calls - You can call any google account user with Google Hangouts and the quality of these voice calls are just outstanding. You clearly do not need a phone when you have Google Hangouts. Screen sharing - This comes useful when you are working with your work buddy on the same project. You can see what the other person is doing in his device with screen sharing feature. Messaging - You can have one-to-one or one-to-many (group) conversations within Google Hangouts.,Google Hangouts requires you to have a strong Internet connection in order to run all these features perfectly.,10,Google Hangouts made communication much easier. Since Google Hangouts syncs with both Android and IOS devices I was able to have effective communications with my co-workers.,Google Charts, Google Classroom, Microsoft 365 BusinessGoogle Hangouts -The staple tool for communicationGoogle Hangouts is used for our internal sales chat functionality. Colleagues can talk and interact without formal emails or phone calls when a prompt response is needed. It can also be used on mobile, so it allows you to still be connected, even when you're operating outside of the office walls.,Internal chat external chat,It really is a great tool. Sometimes I wish that the history was automatically collected though. Make it better Apple integrated.,10,Quick and efficient tool saving money on handwritten communication or timely emails. Allows for great company collaborations.,Slack,Qualtrics, Qualtrics Employee Experience, Grow.com, Salesforce Analytics Cloud, Salesforce.comReplacing Hangouts with Google chatWe were using Google Hangouts across all the organization. The idea was to communicate with our teammates easily with questions and doubts that didn't have to be delivered by mail. It was intended to be for more casual conversation and maybe some questions that just required a confirmation. Discussions and important topics were done within mail or meetings.,Casual chatting Promoting conversation between teammates Images, gifs and emojis.,Group chat Topic conversation Search for some message,4,Messaging without interruptions Have to use mail or meetings when needing to address a big group Fluent conversation with teammates,Slack,Freshsales CRM, Slack, Freshchat, Freshdesk, Facebook for BusinessHangouts - a standout for communication not tied to the Apple ecosystemIt is a good tool to supplement our ordinary video messaging options like FaceTime or Skype, particularly for those who prefer not to use skype due to the low quality of its user interface / user experience. It is also very helpful within Hangouts for us to be able to have someone call in from a separate telephone number and still be able to participate on the phone without having to have the software installed an in use. Makes conferencing easier.,Good at reaching individuals outside its ecosystem Good audio and video quality Nice to have a text solution mingled in with it,I'd like to have better searchability through it It would be nice to be able to customize some visual aspects of it for participants It would be nice if I could customize the origin telephone number when making an outbound call with it,10,Ability to chat internally in a less formal way that an emails No real measured ROI Feels like productivity improved overall, slightly,Skype for Business (formerly Lync),Clio, Slack, G SuiteGoogle Hangouts is a great way to communicate with your team!We've used Google Hangouts among our team members for quick chat features and for video conferencing. The chat is very helpful to cut down on the amount of times we have to lean on using text or email to quickly communicate. Video chat is great for when we need to have a more in-depth conversation but both people are not in the same location.,Google Hangouts is very easy to use. Very user friendly. It syncs with our existing Google-based email system, so our contacts are in hand right from the beginning. The app and the desktop version are both easy to use and work effectively and efficiently.,Nothing that I've used with Google Hangouts has been too difficult. It has been great to work with.,10,It has had a positive ROI for us. It's easy to use and cuts down on the clutter of having too many emails floating around. We are able to have quick text or video chats with each other. Having the ability to chat quickly speeds things up and makes us more efficient.,LiveChat,Wrike, Slack, Adobe Acrobat DC, Microsoft Office 365, Dropbox, Dropbox Business, Google Drive, monday, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, DaVinci Resolve, Microsoft Exchange
Google Hangouts

Google Hangouts Reviews

Google Hangouts
Filter 309 vetted Google Hangouts reviews and ratings

Sajith Prasad Samarathunge profile photo
December 22, 2018

Review: "Google Hangouts makes communication much easier."

• Voice calls - You can call any google account user with Google Hangouts and the quality of these voice calls are just outstanding. You clearly do not need a phone when you have Google Hangouts.
  • Screen sharing - This comes useful when you are working with your work buddy on the same project. You can see what the other person is doing in his device with screen sharing feature.
  • Messaging - You can have one-to-one or one-to-many (group) conversations within Google Hangouts.
  • Google Hangouts requires you to have a strong Internet connection in order to run all these features perfectly.
Google Hangouts is well suited in a scenario like when you want to communicate with your co-workers (audio call/ video call/ video conference call) and send them a bunch of different files like video clips, pdf documents, and text documents so they can download those files and make use of them.
Read Sajith Prasad Samarathunge's full review
Aaron J. McReynolds profile photo
December 19, 2018

Review: "Google Hangouts -The staple tool for communication"

• Internal chat
  • external chat
  • It really is a great tool. Sometimes I wish that the history was automatically collected though.
  • Make it better Apple integrated.
Our internal sales team uses Google Hangouts to talk with each other. All employees have access to the tool and it allows us to interact with other functions in our organization when quick collaboration is needed.

Some employees prefer to use other tools, but for the majority, Google Hangouts is the preferred method of informal communication.
Read Aaron J. McReynolds's full review
Ignacio Cruz profile photo
December 14, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Replacing Hangouts with Google chat"

• Casual chatting
  • Promoting conversation between teammates
  • Images, gifs and emojis.
  • Group chat
  • Topic conversation
  • Search for some message
Google Hangouts is well suited when you are using the Google suits platform in all the organization. This way you can connect all your employees in one platform so that they can communicate easily.
The problem is that it does not work well when you are trying to talk with a big group about a specific topic. The Google chat application is good for this, and replaced the whole chat for the company.
Read Ignacio Cruz's full review
Jason Ramsland profile photo
December 14, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Hangouts - a standout for communication not tied to the Apple ecosystem"

It is a good tool to supplement our ordinary video messaging options like FaceTime or Skype, particularly for those who prefer not to use Skype due to the low quality of its user interface / user experience. It is also very helpful within Hangouts for us to be able to have someone call in from a separate telephone number and still be able to participate on the phone without having to have the software installed an in use. Makes conferencing easier.
  • Good at reaching individuals outside its ecosystem
  • Good audio and video quality
  • Nice to have a text solution mingled in with it
  • I'd like to have better searchability through it
  • It would be nice to be able to customize some visual aspects of it for participants
  • It would be nice if I could customize the origin telephone number when making an outbound call with it
I'm very happy with it for conference calling. I'm not particularly crazy about it as it relates to the text chatting and I think it lacks robust searching features. As for its ability to share and integrate multimedia facets in just the chat, I think it's only okay.

The places where I think it stands out is with users of the Google ecosystem and Android phones.
Read Jason Ramsland's full review
Matt Graf profile photo
December 12, 2018

Review: "Google Hangouts is a great way to communicate with your team!"

• Google Hangouts is very easy to use. Very user friendly.
  • It syncs with our existing Google-based email system, so our contacts are in hand right from the beginning.
  • The app and the desktop version are both easy to use and work effectively and efficiently.
  • Nothing that I've used with Google Hangouts has been too difficult. It has been great to work with.
It is great if you need to communicate something quickly with a team member, but text isn't the most ideal form of communication. It has a great app and is faster for communication than email. Great video capabilities for having a video meeting with people who are offsite or otherwise located apart from your office.
Read Matt Graf's full review
María Lucía Santagata profile photo
December 10, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Hangouts: nice app for meetings with clients working abroad."

We use Google Hangouts mostly for internal communication but also for calls, specially with clients based in other countries. For internal communication it is being used across the whole company, as calls with clients are mostly made in my department. Google Hangouts is useful to communicate with clients that don't use Skype or find trouble using it in mobile phones as the Hangouts app works better for Android, for example.
  • Works very good in smartphones, especially in Android phones.
  • It is a fast app.
  • You can use Hangouts both in the desktop version but also in the one integrated in gmail, so I find it's a discreet way of communicate with colleagues.
  • It's free!!
  • Works very well for video calls for groups, as calendar events generate a link for joining a chatroom, that's very easy to share.
  • Its mobile app needs a way to deactivate vibration / sound notifications but still let the icon visible on top of the screen.
  • Sometimes desktop notifications don't show or appear late.
  • The fact that it shows when someone activates or deactivates the chat history doesn't work for me, as it's not discreet.
I think the scenario where Google Hangouts works best is when teams work remote or the clients of the company are based in foreign countries. Maybe it's not suitable for small companies, where the employees will speak face to face most of the time.
Read María Lucía Santagata's full review
Jason Sherman profile photo
December 06, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Video conferencing and screen sharing for large teams all in one!"

I use Google Hangouts to communicate with a wide variety of clients in order to have conversations about projects we are working on. I tend to often engage in video chat as well as screen sharing so that I can show them what the work entails instead of just explaining it on a phone call.
  • Video Chat
  • Screen Sharing
  • Adding someone from Gmail
  • You have to install a Chrome extension first
  • Not everyone gets audio if they are using a Mac
  • The interface could use improvement, not all the buttons are clear
Google Hangouts works great when I have to host a team meeting with multiple people in order to share my scree and go over documents, websites, and information so that I can explain it visually and not just with voice. I also like that my team can join by clicking on a link.
Read Jason Sherman's full review
Gabriel Samaroo profile photo
August 29, 2018

Review: "Google Hangouts - Free, easy-to-use tool for messaging, video / audio conferences, and screensharing"

We use Google Hangouts as a way to conference in Remote employees (or employees Working From Home on a particular day), both with Audio and Video. We also use the screen share features for presenting screens to those dialed in. We use it in the Software Engineering team, but I'm pretty sure other organizations in the company use it as well.
  • Video - clear picture with good quality, as long as you have a decent internet connection
  • Multiple Users - I've been a part of Google Hangout with over a dozen people from different locations on call
  • Easy to setup and use. It's extremely quick to create a Google Hangout and add it to any calendar invite
  • Sometimes, the way Hangouts switches which person to show as the primary, gets messed up if little sounds are made of peoples computers (even if they aren't talking)
  • Video quality might not be the best if internet connection isn't great.
  • The screenshare can be a bit buggy sometimes. Meaning the screen might lag or freeze for a little.
It works well when you have multiple people dialing in from different locations. Whether you need Chat Messaging, Audio, Video, and/or screenshare features, Google Hangouts can be very suitable. There are also some fun add-ons like filters, which can be entertaining when using for personal use in a less professional setting.
Read Gabriel Samaroo's full review
Janene Buck profile photo
December 18, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Let's Hangout!"

Google Hangouts is one of those programs that I said to myself "how did I live without this"? It has saved me so much time not having to go search for the person I have questions for...I can just send them a chat and they can answer almost immediately. Chatting reminds me of texting, basically the same thing. There have been times that I have gone searching for an employee with a question for several minutes. Those minutes on some days are very valuable. Anything that helps myself and the staff be more efficient is a business need in my book.
  • Google Hangouts is a great way to save time and be more efficient. Before our company started using it I would spend several minutes several times a day searching for an employee that I had a question for. With Google Hangouts it takes a matter of seconds to send them a "chat" and a few seconds to get the response back. Valuable time is saved.
  • I also really love the group chat option and use that regularly as well. When developing a marketing campaign for one of our clients there are many steps and questions along the way. This allows me to send a group chat to all that are on the team to find out what step they are on and when completion can be expected.
  • I also really like that I get notifications when I get a chat. I don't always have my email open so that I would know when someone sent me a message, but Google Hangouts will flash a senders name on the email tab letting me know that I have a chat waiting to be read. Very good feature.
  • When sending group chats or responding to group chats there are times when one or more of those people in the group do not need to be included later in the chatting session and I still have not figured out how to drop someone from the chat.
  • As previously stated one of the pros is that it gives you notification on the upper tab when you have a chat waiting, but sometimes it doesn't do the notification or it doesn't "pop" until I go to the tab. This is only sometimes so not sure what would cause this.
Chatting with one another in Google Hangouts reminds me of texting. Very similar. Messages are in real time and immediate, which is great. However also like texting there is no voice inflection so often times messages can be misconstrued, although the emoji's are awesome!!!
Read Janene Buck's full review
Dawn McGuire profile photo
December 07, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Easy peasy to use"

We use this software across the enterprise. It helps bridge communication needs for many people who do not work closely together or work even globally.
  • Ease of use. It's really intuitive and easy to use.
  • Brings people who work together closer.
  • Allows for colaboration on work and sharing of ideas.
  • Would like it to have an easier way to see how to add someone by phone if needed. I always forget how to do that.
Suited for medium sized project meetings, staff meetings, especially for people who are on the same staff but don't live in the same city or work remotely from home.

Not suited for large group meetings. Can get cumbersome.
Read Dawn McGuire's full review
Douglas Wick profile photo
November 27, 2018

User Review: "Convenience of Google Hangouts"

Google Hangouts provides a quick way to reach my customers and friends. Google Hangouts is platform my customers use. It's easy to reach them, share pictures and documents and meet with them in real time. If I need a quick answer to a question, or they need to reach me for the same reason, its convenience makes it a necessary business communication tool for me.
  • Schedule appointments quickly
  • Answer questions in real time
  • Video chat when it's necessary to see each other
  • Share documents and pictures
  • The video feature hasn't always worked or has been slow
  • It's difficult sometimes to find the sharing tools (pics, files) when you are typing.
  • I can't remember my gmail it would be nice if my gmail was listed on my Google Hangouts account
It's easy to use and easy to connect with people since frequently I receive their Gmail.
Read Douglas Wick's full review
Yamileth Cabrera Rendon profile photo
November 01, 2018

Review: "If you usually do group classes with many attendees, the best option is Google Hangouts."

There are tools that can be installed in the computer version that allow you to extend the functionalities, for example, labeling the name of each of the participants in the conversation or having control over the audio and the camera of each one of them. These features are very useful if you do group classes with a lot of students.
It also allows live broadcasts through, for example, YouTube, which gives you the possibility to organize seminars or live classes with thousands of simultaneous viewings and without the need for all participants to join the conference.
It is a completely free system.
It allowed us to obtain more participants in the conferences for free, allowing us to massify the content of the training courses.
  • It is a completely free system.
  • When you share the screen, the student only sees your screen and stops seeing you, so the communication between both is more complicated and colder.
Read Yamileth Cabrera Rendon's full review
December 13, 2018

Google Hangouts: "Hangouts! Review"

Since three years ago when my company decided to change the online-based chatting service from Skype to Google Hangouts, it's been the best chatting service we use within our company. Google Hangouts is being used by various departments within my company from chatting with my internal employees, meetings, and clients calls. I personally use it to get in touch with my department, by just selecting the person I want to chat with and instantly I am connected with the person. The calls are crystal clear, and there is no lag in connection with Google Hangouts. The main business problem that I get solved with Google Hangouts is the ability to solve any issues that come up with our application, I can quickly call any developer and instantly do a screen share to show the problems that need to be addressed with our application. Google Hangouts makes it easy to use and communicate since we have G-suite and our company email exchange is Gmail, so it all syncs very well. I would recommend Google Hangouts to anyone who is looking into web-based communication software.
  • It's FREE: Google Hangouts is free to use and comes with your Gmail account through G-Suite.
  • Quick, fast, and reliable: Google Hangouts is very fast when connecting to a call, there has never been a call dropped with Google Hangouts. Installation is a breeze, there are no requirements needed to use Google Hangouts. But I will say you may need to install a plugin to use Google Hangouts - if you are not using Chrome browser, other browsers will require you to install a plugin that is needed to utilize Google Hangouts.
  • Contacts: Google Hangouts uses your existing contacts stored in your Google account, so it is easy to quick-chat or call the person if the other person has a Google account.
  • Instant Messaging and HD Video calls: quick message and call is great with Google Hangouts.
  • Group conference calls or meetings: Google Hangouts makes it easy to invite a group of people in the call and start the meeting, messaging, and screen sharing.
  • Updates: Google Hangouts has not been updated in ages and the UI for Google Hangouts is horrible. It's 2019 almost and they would think to make it a priority to update. Sometimes it's confusing to see who's online and offline.
Google Hangouts is always great to use, whether for work or personal use. For work, a few scenarios would come to mind, such as: creating an group meeting with Google Hangouts - I can start a call and interact with my teammates within my department; secondly, a company-wide group meeting - we use Google Hangouts to engage in the weekly or monthly calls for getting things done; finally, using Google Hangouts I can also instant message to share questions and answers. For personal use: I can call my friends or instant message to keep up-to-date with information and other things. The only scenario where Google Hangouts will not be reliable to use is when calling internationally since charges can be billed to you via your cellphone company and calls can drop, but instant messaging is the best way to communicate, it's free and messages will go through if the other party has good internet connection.
December 07, 2018

Review: "Google Hangouts - A perfect product for normal meetings"

Google Hangouts is being used to manage remote employees across our organization by many departments. It is being used for small to medium sized meetings. This helps us stay in contact with, and be easy accessible to, the people we work with on various projects. This addresses our need for easy access to people since we work in different geographic locations.
  • Easy of Use. Setting up a meeting or attending a meeting someone else create is very simple.
  • Integration with other Google products. It very simple to create a hangout from a calendar event or straight from email.
  • Web Interface. No need to install desktop software, Hangouts works directly in the browser and is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
  • Screen sharing should be able to go full screen. The smaller in-browser view sometimes makes it difficult to view another person's screen.
  • Remote access to another person's desktop would be a huge feature that would make Google Hangouts a lot more useful.
Google Hangouts is well suited for anyone who has a gmail account or google apps for business account. It's so simple I even use it to make regular phone calls.
November 28, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Basic instant messaging and video calling for free"

I'm using Google Hangouts daily to communicate with employees I hire. I've been using previous old Google "Talk" version as well. Very easy and intuitive. Most of the times or maybe even always, the person I hire has gmail account and can message with me immediately. This is a big deal that I don't need to require installing anything new. Time saving.
Chat archives can be easily searched, images can be sent as well, but the problem is that other files cannot be sent through it. The latter can create issues and can be irritating but you can always use the same e-mail account to send those other files.
Additionally I like that I can immediately share the screen or make a video call. No problems here. Also mobile app is very useful.
  • Uses gmail account which most people have. No need to install anything new (unless you want a mobile app).
  • Video conferencing with multiple people works well and allows screen sharing.
  • Instant messaging is fast and reliable. Sound notifications are not irritating.
  • For me missing file sending is a missing functionality that should be implemented. Only images can be sent.
  • Sending images using the desktop gmail website interface could also be improved, takes too long to add the image.
  • More privacy settings would be useful.
Google Hangouts is a great alternative not only for businesses but also if you don't want to have a Facebook account to use their Messenger for private purposes. Google account is required, so if you dislike the company you will have to look for other solutions. However registering with google gives the ability to use additional apps such as Google Drive and they complement each other.
September 10, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Top-Tier Communication App"

Google Hangouts is used within various departments and is often used for video-conference calls for employees from different locations.
  • Security - your account is backed by your Gmail account, and so if you have 2-factor verification on and/or other security measures, you are secured.
  • Ping - rarely do we experience lag with audio and video calls.
  • User Interface - it is very simplistic and easy to navigate throughout.
  • The only thing that comes to mind is the slight confusion I felt when using it for the first time. It is designed differently than other similar apps, and so managing your available contacts is a little tricky at first.
Video conference for personal and/or professional use is Google Hangouts' best use-case.
Jennifer Lamas profile photo
July 24, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Working at a distance with video calls."

Hangouts is being used in several departments of the company and the offices located in the other states of the country, helps us to keep in touch at the time we want, since we can make video calls or just comment through a chat.
  • I can make video calls of up to 10 people at the same time.
  • You can connect both from the computer and from your cell phone.
  • It has a series of emoticons and GIF animations to share with your friends.
  • It is possible to send voice messages, videos and audios.
  • you can save conversations in the cloud.
  • It is not possible to place your profile as Invisible, compared to Google Talk.
  • It is only for Android devices and also with iOS. For example, WhatsApp is in many operating systems.
  • It is not possible to know if the message was received by the recipient, or if it even came from our cell phone, in comparison with the other more well-known services.
This tool of communication of Google, is beneficial for those small companies since it does not have a high cost and to be a good start of communication is excellent, it is not necessary to have a telephone number to communicate, you can share our location in real time, The bad thing about this application is that it does not allow you to send voice messages like other similar applications.
Read Jennifer Lamas's full review
Yemsi Pino profile photo
March 30, 2018

Google Hangouts Review: "Communications for today!!!"

Google Hangouts is used by my organization for communication between departments and people in the same department. It's used across the whole organization for the flexibility and easy to use mobile devices on a field trip, very often on geological surveys. The problems we address are the location of the surveys for geographical proposes, and the possible modification or increments of these surveys, after field confirmation. Within the office, our communications are around any geographical subject, working online or at the office.
  • The communications online with other collaborators
  • The possibility to make calls and conferences if needed
  • Is a mail linked communications software
  • The ability to keep track of the communications on the mail
  • The flexibility of maintaining communications with mobile devices
  • The ability to synchronize with other Google apps
  • I like to send the actual image through the chat
  • Gmail users are not familiar with this software
  • Relation - phone number with Gmail user could be a next step for G-hangout
I think the best scenario for Google Hangout is when you determine a survey for a suburb, example housing types, then once your team is on field find out a factory and a commerce area, then begin the communications to establish the modifications on the survey. For this software, I cannot think of a situation where it would be less appropriate.
Read Yemsi Pino's full review
Jamison Cush profile photo
December 13, 2017

Review: "Google Hangouts: Free, Informal, Flexible"

As a no-frills, but very flexible, chat client, Google Hangouts is central to my geographically dispersed team. Yes, we have IT-approved alternatives, but since Google Hangouts is so simple and readily available on just about every laptop/smartphone/tablet released in the last 5 years, it's our go-to solution.

The fact is, we don't have to think about using it -- it's many people's default chat app anyway. That's what makes it perfect.
  • It's flexible. Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows... everyone has access to Hangouts.
  • Voice, text, and video conferencing all baked in.
  • It ties in well with Google's other services, including Drive and Gmail.
  • It's free!
  • Not for power users. This is a good 1-to-1 chat client -- there are enterprise grade offerings with meeting and whiteboard features, for instance.
  • Google keeps messing with it! Google can't leave well enough alone, and it seems Hangouts is being broken up into various other services, including Google Duo for video chat, and Allo for messaging.
  • Not corporate specific. For those looking to distinguish between work and play, using a service likely tied into a personal GMail account might be a turnoff.
For informal and inter-office communications, Hangouts is perfect. Wanna ping a colleague for lunch? Running late for a meeting and need to let the organizer know?
Go with Hangouts.

Sending a note to an HR rep documenting something more official? Requesting a raise and highlighting all the reasons why you deserve it? Better keep to the IT-approved client.
Read Jamison Cush's full review
Pax Whitfield profile photo
March 31, 2017

Google Hangouts Review: "The price is right, and the deployment is trivial, but it may not be enough for your power users!"

We use Hangouts to facilitate quick and easy chats via text, audio, and video, with no additional configuration to speak of over and above a little bit of training for novice users. It uses their existing Google accounts and doesn't require much else, and even works on ChromeOS devices. Outstanding, perhaps even superior, mobile apps complete the package. There are products that perform better, but Hangouts has ease of use and supports at minimum 10 users at a time with little scheduling or planning overhead. It even integrates with Google Calendar!
  • Text chat
  • Phone calls to external land lines - replaces some of our desk phones
  • Multi-user video calls. Everyone knows FaceTime and likes the quality, but the circa-2001 limit of just two users is a deal killer for most work purposes.
  • Performance is not as good as any of the competitors: FaceTime, Skype, GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc.
  • Pro features such as branding, admin dashboards, etc.
GREAT for one on one, outgoing calls, integration with Google Voice as a telephone replacement, mobile use, or multi-way calls on the fly.

LESS good for organized webinar-style gatherings, using on lower-powered hardware, screen sharing, or when higher quality is needed.
Read Pax Whitfield's full review
Awad Awad profile photo
April 17, 2017

Google Hangouts Review: "Hangouts - Innovating Communication"

I use it to hold class and to tutor students who are located in various locations. For example, I live on the East coast and tutor someone in Silicon Valley. My students currently use it to record conversations with each other when their language partner is not on campus. I initially used it in its pilot phase to hold a class with students who were located throughout the US and Europe. I would hold class and during the tests, they would take it in front of the camera and send me the results by taking a picture with their smartphone and send me the file in real time. I have also used it to hold international language and culture exchanges as well as meetings. UNG currently uses Microsoft and not Google. Thus I use it on my own. Hangouts addresses innovative, non-traditional, flipped and blended approaches to language learning.
  • Ability to connect for free.
  • Ability to have single or multiple people join in a hangout.
  • Ability to record the session.
  • Ability to hold a conversation, chat, upload documents, share a file or video, etc., all at the same time.
  • There are time lapses. Sometimes I have to switch to FaceTime because of the delay losing all other tools that Hangouts provides.
  • Those new to the program have a hard time navigating the features on Google +.
  • Maybe merge all Hangout features onto Gmail.
If the video delays are fixed I [can] see it [being] used in all professional situations I can think of where folks can not physically be in the same location. It also allows innovation to incorporate technology in the learning process.
Read Awad Awad's full review
Aleia Walker profile photo
April 14, 2017

Review: "Google Hangouts - Good for internal team meetings"

It's currently used for small team meetings. For all-team meets that have up to 35 people, we found Google Hangouts does not work so we use another tool for that. We previously used it to produce a webinar series and host meetings with students but it no longer meets those needs because it was too buggy to use as an external tool.
  • Google Hangouts makes it easy to get a meeting started.
  • The user interface is really intuitive, clean, and simple so it's easy to use.
  • Google Hangouts can be buggy. We've had problems where external users could not enter and we couldn't troubleshoot it.
  • Google products have very little support. The support that does exist is rarely unhelpful so they're never considered a resource.
Google Hangouts is great for internal team meetings and one on one meetings (especially if using Gmail). It's not great for tons of external clients.
Read Aleia Walker's full review
Ben Pickrell profile photo
April 12, 2017

Google Hangouts Review: "Google Hangout - A Great Low Cost Communication Tool!"

Many of our employees work remotely. We use Google Hangout for one-on-one, small group and large group calls. Our entire organization uses Google Hangouts, along with all other Google Apps functionality. We have team members all over the country, Google Apps is a great, easy to use communication tool for us all to connect.
  • Screen sharing. Screen sharing is easy and intuitive in Google Hangouts.
  • Multiple users on the same call. I have never seen a limit for the number of people who can join a hangout.
  • Part of the Google Apps suite. If you are a Google Apps user, using Hangouts is a no brainer and an easy way to do video calls and screen sharing.
  • Speaker and Mic problems. Sometimes when a caller joins, they can not hear the audio, or their mic is not able to pick up their voice. It can be difficult to figure this issue out sometimes. Many times, it works perfectly with no problems.
  • If you invite someone from outside of your Google Apps organization, you have to be sure you set the sharing permissions correctly so that the outside person can join the call. Sometimes this is confusing.
Great for meetings and one on one calls with people you know. For meetings with outside clients, I prefer another web conferencing app.
Read Ben Pickrell's full review
Rachel Hudish profile photo
March 24, 2017

Google Hangouts Review: "Google Hangout is great for collaboration!"

In all the departments that I worked in we used Google Hangout as a collaboration tool to support remote work. We used it to collaborate and review documents, meet with faculty and other staff, and just meet for a lunch hour to support morale.
  • Easy on bandwidth
  • Dynamic
  • Getting into a Google Hangout could be a little easier, but not a dealbreaker.
  • When someone posts in the chat, unless they click on it, they don't see the message.
It is appropriate for a small group meeting, especially when collaboration on Google Docs used. It can be used for informal instruction or small classed, but may be hard to support a large class (20 or more people).
Read Rachel Hudish's full review
Bob Cadieux profile photo
March 22, 2017

User Review: "Scrumming with Google Hangouts"

Our agile office uses Google Hangouts to support SCRUM teams. Our scrum masters use Hangouts in tandem with Slack to run our Scrum ceremonies: stand ups, grooming, retrospectives, estimating and sprint reviews. This helps us stay in the Slack app so we can collaborate while we are in the meetings. We can also bring in guests to the meeting on the fly.
  • Hangouts highlights the person speaking and brings the face into the window.
  • I can run a Hangout meeting from my Android smartphone with the mobile app.
  • The Hangout link is reusable and can be sent out via IM or email.
  • Volume and camera settings are easy to adjust via screen buttons.
  • This app is part of the Google apps set and can be accessed via Gmail.
  • Hangouts needs to offer a secured channel via the settings area. This would help us pass security audit for our apps. We are being pushed to go to Microsoft Team and Skype for meetings.
Hangouts is very well suited for the Scrum framework. Love the ease of use and ability to start hangout out of Slack with just /hangout in the text box.
Read Bob Cadieux's full review

Google Hangouts Scorecard Summary

Hosted PBX (6)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (7)
User templates (7)
Call reports (11)
Directory of employee names (18)
Answering rules (11)
9.2
Audio conferencing (29)
9.2
Mobile app for iOS (26)
Mobile app for Android (24)

About Google Hangouts