Even before Covid, we were a remote/work from …
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Mobile app for Android (71)9.393%
- Mobile app for iOS (73)9.191%
- Video conferencing (79)8.989%
- Audio conferencing (79)8.989%
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Google Hangouts (Classic), and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
- Tech Details
Callers can use Hangouts to:
- Start a chat conversation or video call.
- Make phone calls using Wi-Fi or data.
- Send text messages with a Google Voice or Google Fi phone number.
Hangouts sync automatically across devices. Hangouts started on a computer, can continue with chat on another device, like a phone.
- In March 2017, Google announced plans to evolve classic Hangouts to focus on two experiences designed to help bring teams together: Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Both Chat and Meet are available for G Suite customers and will be made available for consumer users as well. Google is planning to transition users from classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet after June 2020.
- Classic Hangouts is not available in China.
Skype for Business, now part of Microsoft Teams
8x8 X Series
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager)
- Easy to access
- Clear signal
- Ability for multiple people to join from different IP addresses
- Cleaner dial in options
- Ability to blur background
- Offering of different backgrounds similar to zZom
- Easy to turn history on/off
- Larger default chat window.
- Compatibility issues with Google Meets.
- Easy to find frequent contacts
- Light calls
- Fast chats
- Handling multiple work-spaces
- Handling multiple accounts in the same window
- It can be accessed smoothly with laptops, mobile and desktops.
- Easy to sync calendar, reminders, and set up meetings.
- Not limited to internal users only. Mostly available with external vendors as well.
- I wish more compatibility with other apps like Dropbox.
- It is limited to typing only. If a voice message option can be added, that would make a lot of difference.
- Auto settings to mute/unmute other users is recommended.
- Boon in work from home scenarios.
- Can be accessed even when traveling with mobile.
- Mostly available for communication with external parties as it is widely used.
- Cannot be customized as per the organization's need.
- Less secure.
- Easy to setup platform especially if the organization is already in Google ecosystem.
- User interface is very easy on the eye & minimalistic.
- All the Gmail events are properly synced up with google hangout.
- Very good & versatile mobile application.
- Call & video quality connection becomes very unstable when on low latency network.
- Could improve on its sending invite option & make it more easy.
- Automatic away status can be implemented if not active on platform.
- Audio Connection
- Video Connection
- Ability to quickly invite others
- Ability to Chat
- Tile layout for headshots used to be a tricky item
- I don't believe it had a recording capability in years past
- Conversations from chat were not archived / emailed to host
- Has built in calling and video calling from within the app or web page
- Can be used by anyone with a Google account
- On Android phones, can be used to receive SMS messages as well
- Has now been superseded by Google Chat
- Does not work with Google for Education accounts
- No longer integrated with Gmail after the phase out completes
Android users who want an internet based instant messaging that also supports calling and video calling could benefit from using Hangouts (Classic) as Google Chat requires the user to also have Google Meet installed to make video calls and there is no voice only calling option.
- Ad-hoc video conferencing / meetings with external collaborators
- Mobile video conferencing
- Integration with other Google-based tools.
- Integration into the formal corporate toolset
- Integration into Office365
- Google Hangouts (Classic) is embedded within Gmail's scheduler, so setting up the link is as quick as a click of the button. It's a one-step process.
- Google Hangouts (Classic) is user-friendly and [has] features to share screens easily.
- Google Hangouts (Classic) is much easier to use than its competitors.
- Google Hangouts (Classic) have [a] good connection time and there are few glitches.
- The quality of the visuals is not always great. Seems like what is displayed is always dark.
- We typically use Google Hangouts (Classic) with only a small group. For some reason, it's not the preferred choice for a long list of attendees.
- I am not aware of background feature[s] within Google Hangouts (Classic)(for example, overlay of pictures or backdrop of a city, etc.)
- Ease of use
- Ability to create groups
- File sharing systems
- Ability to use apps and web based
- It could use more integration with calendar
- Better notification setting for web based solution
- Should allow to have the ability to withdraw messages
- Friendly user interface, sometimes it does not feel like you are chatting about work
- It comes in all devices and all have slick UI. Not like some other messaging apps which are inconsistent between desktop / mobile version
- Amazing alternative option for sms / mms
- Lack of organizational chart if you are in a big organization
- Some concerns regarding to privacy
- Cannot communicate with other messaging softwares
- Integration with Gmail for a full experience, everything is in 1 place!
- Ability to send/share images and files quickly via hangouts.
- Chat function and group chats.
- Emojis are difficult to use and not the best vs. iPhone.
- Slow video features, less attractive than other video platforms.
- The phone app is difficult to use, very easy to accidentally make a video call, and hard to back out of it. App can be very sluggish.
- Use for impromptu meetings.
- Use as an open virtual lounge to drop_in on meetings.
- It’s user friendly.
- More capabilities for webinar meetings.
- Sleeker look.
- Quick, casual chats
- Easy to use and non-intrusive
- Archived chats are searchable, for reference
- Seamless UX across all devices
- Wish it was easier to search previous chats on the mobile app
- Custom away messages would be helpful
- Occasionally face a lag with the mobile app, showing notifications at a delay
Even before Covid, we were a remote/work from home kind of organization, so it enabled us to connect without having a physical office where we all worked the same hours.
- No Software Installation (no local client needed)
- Integration with Google Calendar (meeting links generated seamlessly)
- Mobile client is lightweight and fast
- Users cannot rename themselves, or you cannot rename users (for labelling users or adding additional information)
- No breakout rooms
- No poll or interactivity features
- It is convenient for sending quick messages to contacts who have Gmail accounts.
- It is available as an app and is a good instant messaging alternative that uses data, not minutes.
- The interface is not as slick as other apps. It feels like it has been abandoned by the developer.
- You cannot customize the look and feel of it, in case that is important.
- Google Workspace/GSuite Integration
- Webinar features
- Recording available at all levels (not just higher tier)
- Improve video sharing experience
- Shrug emoticon
- Sharing images and starting meets
- Gif integration
- Simple screen share
- Minimal setup
- OS agnostic including mobile
- Works well with low speed connections
- Screen share on mobile
- Better chat extension on Chrome
- Better invite options
- Can set up different user groups with various personnel. In our case, we have different groups for different vehicle brands, one group for service advisors, one group for management, etc. Information can then be tailored to the correct people.
- It is a contact less form of communication in an environment where various different people NEED to interact with one another throughout the day. Very helpful given the covid.
- Setup and implementation are incredibly easy. Especially if work domain for email is attached to gmail like ours is
- Ability to use Gmail search bar to search through chat history is very handy
- I would like to see improved video support, so that saved videos can be sent back and forth via Hangouts more easily, without having to start a separate meet chat
- More pronounced notifications of messages would be helpful; pop up notifications are good, but once there is one, additional messages do not pop up
- Custom muting times would be great, so that if I am in a 90 minute Zoom meeting, I can set it for that time; right now, it is 1 hour or 2 hours. Easy to forget.
It would be less appropriate in situations that require a great deal of detail or confidential private information.
- Connecting people
- Ease of use
- Better interaction in the meeting
- Better ways to invite others
- Recording sessions
- Video chat
- Easy to connect
- Easy to set up and use
- There's audio/video problems once in a while
- Group chats
- Audio/video calls
- Fun stickers
- Audio call
- Video call
- Mobile apps
- Easy to set up
- Allows screen share
- Allow recording
- Access is not tied to email
- In some settings, it allows for more participants
- Allows for seamless interdepartmental communication
- Allows for continuity of conversations
- Allows for quietly being able to communicate when clients are in the office