Grasshopper Reviews

Do you work for this company?

David Renberg profile photo
Used for the entire organization, it addresses the problem of many remote workers who are still expected to have an office number. This way we also do not have to have a LAN line set up within the office space. it is perfect for our application where we need a store front, but also are not always there.
  • I like that there are differing voicemails for each extension, to keep up with the image of calling a separate line.
  • I love the voicemail text emails. I believe we pay a little extra, but worth every penny for those urgent calls while I am in a meeting.
  • The cost is very reasonable for the value added to our company.
  • I do not care for the distinction between department extensions (with 1-digit extensions) and employee extensions (3 digit extensions). We have 8 who use extensions, but there is not functionality to make each of them a 1 digit extension.
  • I would love to see a revolving extension. For example, we have "for the next available agent, please press 0". The system proceeds to call each of the assigned numbers in order. I would love for the order to automatically rotate that way the same person is not called first every time.
  • The app could be more use-friendly.
Seems like it is perfectly suited for ANY small to medium business. I can imagine that a business would outgrow the system eventually, but probably around 75-100 employees? Great system for offices that are not managed full time, companies with remote workers, budget conscience start ups, anyone with a need for a registered office line.
Read David Renberg's full review
Trisha Miller profile photo
We are a virtual (online only) travel agency, so each member of our team works remotely as we have no physical bricks & mortar location. We use Grasshopper because it provides us with many benefits, not the least of which is that it adds a professional voice and image to the handling of our business calls, along with allowing us to route them appropriately during our business hours, and provide a voicemail backup system when we are closed.
  • Extremely user-friendly interface - even non-tech-savvy users can manage their user setup and call handling on their own.
  • Excellent customer support.....on the few occasions that I've need help the Grasshopper team has been quick, helpful, professional, and friendly.
  • Impressive voice talent for those who don't want to (or shouldn't!) creates their own greetings and messages.
  • It would be nice to have the ability to transfer some calls to another Grasshopper IVR, for those customers who mistakenly dial the wrong number (we have two incoming numbers, one for corporate and one for sales).
  • Likewise, it would be nice to have the ability to forward to a toll-free number, which would have allowed us to work around the inability to transfer between IVRs (see above).
  • Lastly, it would be great to have an 'emergency' switch setting (default off but could be toggled on) that would let us override all IVR settings and transfer all incoming calls elsewhere (either to a direct dial or toll free number) for those rare times when we cannot take any calls (such as a weather emergency OR the one time each year we take all of our staff on a retreat) - that would allow us to send all calls to a backup answering service rather than just voicemail.
Grasshopper is one of many such service providers who fill a vital niche in the small business market, whether it's a one-person business or larger, where a professional telephone experience is desired. Many small businesses cannot afford to hire someone to just answer the phone and an answering service can sometimes be an obstacle, rather than an asset (I know, we've used several in the past). Grasshopper fills this void and stands out from their competition by doing it well and affordably, by being easy to use, and by providing excellent customer support.
Read Trisha Miller's full review
Sal Lettieri profile photo
November 06, 2019

King of Phone Systems

Grasshopper is being used to handle all calls to our business and sort them according to the customers' needs. We can route the calls to the appropriate people to help our customers better. We can screen the calls coming in, and if the request is not urgent, we have a professional answering service that can take the call and give us a transcript of the caller's message so we can get back to them quickly.
  • Professional answering service
  • Great app and notifications
  • Easy to use and setup
  • Great customer support
  • Better call display
  • My name and sales are similar, so I sometimes get calls sent to the wrong extension.
Grasshopper is well suited for small to medium-sized businesses, where speaking with a live person is not necessary. In a larger company, it may be more suitable to have a live person answer the phone.
Read Sal Lettieri's full review
Valentine Silva profile photo
We are out on the field constantly so we had to find a way to bring our office to us. Grasshopper did that for us, and it also allowed us to close out our phones so we could enjoy our personal time with our families. The extension features make our customers feel like they can reach the desired person a lot easier than before. Overall it allowed us to eliminate our landline and modernize our phone system to facilitate our needs.
  • Transcripts of voicemails
  • Cost
  • Overall functionality
  • We really haven’t had any noticeable issues
Our industry is saturated with landscaping companies. This phone system allows us to be viewed more professionally as the phone system is well designed. Recently, I have been able to recommend this company to other landscaping companies which have mentioned they too will be signing up for use. This also cut our cost we were paying about 200% more through our phone carrier.
Read Valentine Silva's full review
Sam Bean profile photo
I use Grasshopper to maintain consistency in contact information over time so that past customers have contact information that does not expire. I also use it to maintain direct contact between staff and customers no matter where a staff member may be or what time it is, they can be contacted immediately if required.
  • Allows you to keep a consistent phone number over time.
  • Allows instant contact between the customer and the business.
  • Easily replaces more cumbersome and expensive physical phone systems.
  • There is a bit of a learning curve in setting up systems, but that is not unusual for any system.
  • In years of experience, that's all I can come up with that poses any sort of problem!
I have seen Grasshopper operate in a variety of businesses with success. I can't think of where it would be a poor choice.
Read Sam Bean's full review
steven rudd profile photo
Grasshopper has created a freedom otherwise not available in small business that helps manage our day to day operations efficiently.
  • Allows texting with clients
  • Protects personal cell phone numbers from being used by clients in off-hours
  • Allows for access to phone lines from any location
  • Initial setup can be very cumbersome
  • Adding voice messages is challenging if the system is not cooperating
  • Like to be able to customize the hours to incorporate a lunch message
The ability to catch your call en-route is the most important feature for us as a small business. Second most important is the ability to use the business line to communicate via text messages. This allows us to be available on our clients' terms but can be limited with scheduling and do not disturb times.
Read steven rudd's full review
John La Belle profile photo
I use Grasshopper as the main telephone service at my main desk for clients to contact. It is inexpensive compared to business landline services, I can take it with me since it forwards to my mobile phone, and using a virtual operator to direct calls has virtually eliminated the huge number of telemarketers and scammers that used to call the business, wasting my time.
  • Works well with mobile phones.
  • Easily set up a virtual operator/answering service and forward to unlimited departments/phone numbers.
  • Inexpensive compared to traditional business landlines.
  • There's a bit of a longer delay in voice transmission times since the calls are being picked up by Grasshopper and forwarded to you. On a Cell phone, that increases the lag in the time it takes the signal to go back and forth.
  • Honestly, I can't think of anything else that Grasshopper doesn't do well since I've started using it.
I find it especially well suited to small businesses when people are on the road, or only have cellular phones. Since you can have the main phone number for your business with Grasshopper, you can set it up to forward to individual people's cells phones with ease using the virtual answering service.
Read John La Belle's full review
Jacqueline Grant profile photo
I use Grasshopper on a daily basis as my business phone number to field calls and have a designated 800 number. The 800-number allows me to have a consistent identity so that if I relocate my office space I can take the number with me. It has been a great timesaver and corporate identity piece. I would recommend it for new business owners as well as seasoned businesses.
  • Great user interface
  • Mobile and desktop applications
  • Easy to learn
  • N/A
Very easy to get started and low learning curve. Customer service is friendly and accessible but there is a lot of information online on their website to troubleshoot any issues.
Read Jacqueline Grant's full review
Naketa Thigpen profile photo
Grasshopper is used across our entire organization. Using grasshopper helps us keep the business divisions organized with call flows to our partners that manage specific extensions. This makes things easier for both team members and our customers by getting them to where they need to be faster!
  • Extensions are easy to set up!
  • The voice to text is irreplaceable
  • Uploading replacement messages with a quick MP3 makes our life easier behind the admin curtain
  • It would be phenomenal if receiving and sending text messages was included in a flat fee package.
  • The option to pay quarterly or semi-annually would be ideal.
Grasshopper is perfect for receiving calls from cold leads that perhaps pulled our information off a website or LinkedIn. It's not as well suited for the more personal touch with ongoing clients who prefer not to go through extensions when connecting to their normal advisor/contact.
Read Naketa Thigpen's full review
James OToole profile photo
September 26, 2019

Essential Business Tool

We use it for all calls to the business. Forwarding options, message options, call blocking and fax. In addition, I find it useful for looking up callers who hang up. All caller numbers are recorded to toll-free numbers, even blocked ones. The new option that allows you to have a local number and be able to list it with any name and call with an iPhone app is invaluable.
  • Message boxes.
  • Call forwarding.
  • iPhone calling app.
  • Through the past 20 years, they have added many features based on suggestions. I cannot think of anything else I would want.
It is essential for our business and is very inexpensive.
Read James OToole's full review
Bryan McAnulty profile photo
Grasshopper is an easy and affordable phone solution for our business. We've been using Grasshopper for over 9 years now. We use it with two numbers and multiple extensions that allow us to easily route calls to the appropriate place. Being a small team we don't want everyone constantly dealing with support over the phone. Grasshopper allows us to have personal extensions that will get our customers in touch with us directly when necessary, and have unknown calls go straight to voicemail so that they are not disturbing our team.
  • Easy routing to multiple phone numbers including mobile phones
  • Call screening and flexible extension directories
  • Ability to receive voicemails as emails with audio attachments
  • The web interface is outdated and could use a design update.
  • Voicemail transcription has an additional cost
If you only need a single phone number and have no need for complex forwarding or extensions, then there is no need for Grasshopper. If you want more than that and need a professional setup for your business without the time and expense, Grasshopper is a great solution. No need to deal with expensive outdated hardware. Grasshopper is a virtual solution that will work with your employee's existing phone or smartphone.
Read Bryan McAnulty's full review
EVAN RABINOWITZ profile photo
September 19, 2019

Don't Let It Get Away

In additon to ease of use and competitive pricing, Grasshopper allows our highly mobile team to manage customer tracking and CRM with the integrated app making it incredibly beneficial to use in an industry with highly varied schedules.

Overall, Grasshopper offers an extensive set of integrated features for a very reasonable price, making it a definite win for small and small-medium businesses.
  • Automated Attendant Management
  • Contact Tracking
  • Adjustable Call Routing Schedules
  • The mobile app is somewhat lacking in support
Grasshopper would best used in teams with 1-15 members who need phone system use regularly without a dedicated landline. While the price is extremely competitive by comparison, it lacks some features of larger VOIP systems.
Read EVAN RABINOWITZ's full review
Dan Lea profile photo
As an independent contractor manager of a trade association, I need telephone service that will follow me everywhere and be constantly available to callers. Grasshopper fulfills that requirement perfectly. Calls to our local SW Ohio number and the North American toll-free number are routed flawlessly to my cell phone wherever I am located. I am able to conduct my client's business anywhere. In fact, yesterday morning I answered a call while in the shower!
  • It works seamlessly once set up.
  • Between Grasshopper and my cellular carrier callers have multiple options for leaving voice messages on those rare occasions when I am not able to answer immediately.
  • Perhaps most important, Grasshopper costs 1/3 what our former landline carrier did.
  • Grasshopper does everything I need. No complaints here.
Ten years ago we lost access to a full-time receptionist and an attended phone system that allowed calls to be answered and transferred to me or a technical support person. An answering service proved to be unsatisfactory. In searching for an acceptable alternative I came across Grasshopper and decided to try it. We want calls to the association to be answered every time and whenever possible directed immediately to a real person. Grasshopper does this well.
Read Dan Lea's full review
Rene Agredano profile photo
The Tripawds Foundation hosts a toll-free 24-hour Helpline to assist and support pet parents facing amputation for their dogs and cats. Our distributed staff of volunteer Tripawds Helpline hosts use the Grasshopper app to field calls and provide emotional support while directing users to helpful resources and assistance programs. Grasshopper makes it easy to schedule time slots for the hosts, and add, remove edit these times whenever necessary due to host availability. The platform and app allow our Helpline Hosts to easily identify unanswered calls and return calls without exposing their personal phone number. Setting up the account, recording hold messages, and segmenting extensions for different needs was quick and intuitive.
  • Offers a simple dashboard for scheduling live operator availability.
  • Intuitive interface for setting up account and recording hold messages.
  • Ease of use for non-technical users.
  • Conference calls require calling each participant, they can not call in to attend.
Grasshopper is best suited for a distributed workforce fielding calls from remote locations. It is also ideal for setting up a professional-sounding call center for a small home-based business or company with very few staff.
Read Rene Agredano's full review
AJ Brock profile photo
We use Grasshopper to screen which calls go to which department. It addresses the fact that we cannot always answer the phone, because we may be busy with another client. But the message center can get the information needed and we would be able to return any phone calls missed.
  • We never miss a call.
  • Grasshopper is easy to set up and customer support is always there to help.
  • There are many options with Grasshopper, easy customization.
  • I have not encountered any problems at this time.
Grasshopper is reasonably priced and the service is always available, we never miss a call.
Read AJ Brock's full review
Guy Smith profile photo
We use Grasshopper as our primary phone number for our church. Rather than having a landline forwarding calls to our cells, we simply have Grasshopper forward the calls. This is wonderful because in church ministry we benefit from NOT being tied to our desks. Our staff can receive calls from anyplace on their cells without giving out their personal numbers. Also, we have 'church office' hours set so that outside the hours we have automatic voicemails/emails. In case of emergency calls, we have an option that rings to my personal phone.
  • Offers a good answering service.
  • Setting open hours.
  • Forwarding emails that coincide with voicemails.
  • I get two voicemails and two emails with every message and I'm not sure how to change that.
  • I wish I could set my number to our specific city. It comes up as a city an hour away and sometimes confuses people.
  • I'd like more extensions for less $.
It's great for teams that don't want to be tied to their offices. For us, as a church, we enjoy the flexibility of traveling throughout the community without having to check back for messages. Also, this replaces a receptionist. Our cell phones are more powerful and we don't have to give out our personal numbers. Plus we can set open hours.
Read Guy Smith's full review
Chris Donald profile photo
Our entire company used Grasshopper. Since many of our team members work remotely, Grasshopper makes it easy to set up extensions, forward calls, ring multiple numbers, and have custom VoiceMail and VM to Email. We have 2 Toll-free numbers and a few local numbers. Each employee can log in and customize their VM and OOO messages. Grasshopper is both feature-rich and affordable.
  • Easy Setup, you can be up and running in 24 hours or less.
  • You get unlimited extensions, so growing your team doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  • The Voicemail to email feature is great when you are on the go. You can even send voicemail messages to multiple people if needed.
  • The Voice to text (email) could be a bit more accurate, but sometimes it's because the person doesn't speak clearly or they have an accent and that can cause issues with the voice to text feature.
Grasshopper is the perfect system for Start-ups and small to medium size businesses. Incoming calls can be forwarded to business phone, cell, and others if needed. With unlimited extensions, it's easy to add a new employee. Great if you have remote workers.
Read Chris Donald's full review
Kema Charles profile photo
We have been using Grasshopper for about 3 years now. It works for us when we are on the go and not in the office when we don’t have access to a phone at a desk. Since most of the time we are out of the office anyway those are the times this works for us.
  • Allows us to answer phone anywhere.
  • Allows me to separate business and personal calls.
  • Allow me to not associate phone numbers so that I can keep work calls to the office.
It’s good when you are on the go but not if you are stationary a lot.
Read Kema Charles's full review
Kelly McGovern profile photo
Grasshopper has been a very important tool for our sales team. Calls are seamless and so very convenient. The many features make this system very user-friendly and professional.
  • Calls are directed to individual salespeople or if that salesperson is not available we program the call to ring another so we don't lose a potential client.
  • Faxes come to us via a PDF in our emails.
  • Have an app so it is easier to change setup of voicemails or new numbers to direct to.
I have referred this service to many businesses over the years. I started with the original company, GotVmail, and was even in a magazine in 2006 to market their services.
Read Kelly McGovern's full review
Jerry Lisman profile photo
September 28, 2019

Life Save!

Grasshopper has been a lifesaver for several of our companies. During repeated power outages, we were immediately able to reroute calls to either working phone systems or cell phones. No orders lost!! Continue to add lines to our account.
  • Quick easy change of the numbers our calls get routed to.
  • Super customer support and a ton of follow-up.
  • I would like to be able to have different greetings for different incoming numbers... i.e. sales, customer support, etc.
The flexibility provides the most ideal situation for growing, changing companies.
Read Jerry Lisman's full review
McKenzie Hambsch profile photo
Grasshopper has helped my company by letting my customers call me and leave voicemails when wanting to begin our service. It is professional and helps my company run smoothly.
  • Notify me when someone has called or left a voicemail.
  • The connection is always good and usually never lose a call.
  • Affordable. Very affordable for what you get.
  • The only thing that I would change is having text be part of the service without costing more.
Grasshopper is good for any company small or large to help the process of customers contacting the company, or to help you as the company contact your customers.
Read McKenzie Hambsch's full review
Brian Kidd profile photo
September 27, 2019

Why I chose Grasshopper

We use Grasshopper to provide contact with our customers regardless if we are at the office or not. Some folks work remotely and this is the easiest way to provide seamless phone communication.
  • Easy setup
  • Multiple extensions with greetings per extension
  • Recorded calls if no one is able to answer
  • Sometimes the call gets forwarded to me and other times the app notifies that I have a voicemail waiting when I never received the call.
Grasshopper is well suited for small businesses that need a phone system but don’t want an elaborate system installed.
Read Brian Kidd's full review
Ryan Connolly profile photo
Grasshopper is being used across the whole organization. It makes having a business line simple and assuring the calls are directed to the right people.
  • The mobile app is great.
  • It's very easy to use.
  • Support is quick and helpful.
  • The ability to manage users and options through the app would be helpful.
I feel Grasshopper is well suited in most scenarios but especially for SMB business with remote staff that calls need to be routed to.
Read Ryan Connolly's full review
Dan Jones profile photo
We primarily use it to make and receive calls for our business.
  • Clear calls
  • Ability to use cell phone for calls instead of landline
  • Gives us a professional look
  • We have an 888 # that we use for people to call in. But when we call out, we'd like to have the ability for the outbound call to have the name of our company instead of just the phone number that way people can know who is calling.
It's well suited for small businesses who need a phone number other than their cell.
Read Dan Jones's full review
James Smith profile photo
September 26, 2019

Hops Over The Competition!

We use it to get calls to different departments and on the road associates. It also gives us a more professional image.
  • The option of voice over services.
  • The routing of callers.
  • Fax service.
  • VM transcript.
  • Larger minute plans.
  • Fax out services.
It is well suited for small businesses and allows employees to work from anywhere and is very cost-effective.
Read James Smith's full review

Hosted PBX (21)
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (22)
User templates (18)
Call reports (31)
Directory of employee names (32)
Answering rules (43)
Audio conferencing (7)
Video screen sharing (3)
Instant messaging (8)
Mobile app for iOS (31)
Mobile app for Android (26)

About Grasshopper

Grasshopper is an IP telephony business communication solution that provides companies with a toll-free or local phone number. It has both desktop and mobile applications and includes features such as custom greeting recording, call forwarding, call transfer, call reporting, and voicemail.