Grasshopper is an IP telephony business communication solution that provides companies with a toll-free or local phone number. It has both desktop and mobile applications and includes features such as custom greeting recording, call forwarding, call transfer, call reporting, and voicemail.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/ge/BZ/E4RE5MC9OK2C.JPEGGrasshopper is the perfect phone system for small companies on the goWe use Grasshopper as our sole business phone line. We do not have a hard landline. We are a team of three with two based in NY and one in Nevada. Grasshopper allows each of us to have an extension and calls are routed directly to our cell phones. Since we are constantly on the go it's great not to have to worry about missing important calls as well as always appearing professional since our business line is "always on" regardless of where we are. It's perfect for a small organization like ours (or even a large one) that are not centrally located.,Since calls always come into my cell phone from the same Grasshopper number I just saved that number in my phone as my company name. So I always know when a call is coming in for my company and that it's not a personal call. Of course, all calls are saved and logged in Grasshopper so if I need to go back and check the actual caller ID I can do that. All voicemails are immediately sent as audio files in an email to the email address on file for each extension. I personally love this feature. I can choose to go into the Grasshopper app to listen to them but its use so much more convenient to get an email, open it up and listen right from the email. The caller ID for the call is also included in the email text. So all the info I need for any missed calls is right there. Great stuff. By far, one of my favorite features is the option to receive faxes to the same business number. Even though fax is being used less these days it is still used quite a bit and being able to receive faxes and having them immediately emailed to me is great. The ability to transfer calls from extension to extension (as in cell phone to cell phone) is great. It doesn't matter where my colleague is. I can send the call to the right person and it's ringing on their phone in seconds.,There isn't much I can think of, although right now one of my team members isn't having her calls come through for some reason. We have to troubleshoot it and see if it isn't an issue with her phone first. But obviously its never good when things like that happen. Can't put the blame anywhere yet as we haven't yet looked at the issue. Placing calls from within the Grasshopper app isn't always so solid. I've tried placing outgoing calls from the app and I've had issues where the person I called couldn't hear me or the call would just drop out of nowhere. It hasn't happened in a while but it did happen a few times when I first started using it. Admittedly that was over 4 years ago so it may not be an issue anymore. This is a little out there but it would interesting if there were an option to SEND faxes as well. If I could take pictures of a document with my phone, or if there is an existing pdf file on my phone, the ability to send it would be great. It seems a little unnecessary because at that point you might think, well why not just email it? I agree but there are still some people and companies out there (strangely) that like to receive things via fax (i.e. the IRS still has some services that can only be taken care of if documents are mailed or faxed in). I'm sure eventually this will go the way of the dinosaur though.,9,The cost is incredibly small for the plan I use and the feature set we get is absolutely fantastic. I'm generally spending less than $20/month and that allows us to handle all of our business calls. It has definitely saved time as well because any incoming voicemails or faxes are immediately emailed. That alone saves me time from having to log in to the Grasshopper interface. Setup also saves time. Set things up once, and you'll almost never have to do it again (unless you're adding a new user or changing cell phone info). The app is feature rich, although admittedly I do not use it as much as the online site when I need to address issues. Get familiar with the online user interface as this is the easiest way to get things set up.,,Plutio, SkypeJumping to the top of our PBX huntThe entire org uses Grasshopper as our primary phone. In a day and age where everyone has smartphones, there is no need for desk phones at the office. Everyone is assigned an extension and placed in the directory for contact. Works perfectly, emails voicemail recordings, and easy to admin. Sales and customer success use it the most heavily as well as management and admin staff. Having calls route to phones ensures calls are not missed, and no one has issues using the system.,Administration and setup is very simple Recorded voicemails save time for staff Easy to assign a new employee and extension so they can receive calls Calls themselves are high quality and consistent/reliable,The interface for admin can be a bit clunky (but I know a new one has come out) The mobile apps aren't great Additional charge for SMS,9,Saving time and money on a traditional PBX system Giving customers an easy way to reach the team without needing phone lines installed,Cisco VoIP PBX,Dropbox Business, Dropbox, HubSpot, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics, G Suite, Microsoft Office 365, Slack, Google Drive, ZenHub, Trello, JIRA Software,Anything customer-facing. Receiving calls and messages, etc.,All of the admin,Yes,6Perfect system for the small business with a focus on mobilityWhen we first launched our company we chose grasshopper because we all had second jobs. Later when we progressed to having an office with a full-fledged phone system. Even after we began offering our home phone service we kept grasshopper as a backup solution which works wonderfully. Price and value are very good and having a backup system in the cloud things that we never have to risk missing I call.,Forwarding Easy configuration Ability to get new numbers and assigned them rapidly,I would like to see the softphone feature completely redone. I would like grasshopper calls that are coming in on my cell phone to launch in the grasshopper app so I can clearly see immediately if it was coming from my phone or grasshopper app. Integration with premise-based systems would be a very useful solution.,8,The ROI is very good as long as you have a limited number of users and you don't require physical handsets. This is a very good system for any company where the majority of the employees spend a lot of time in the field. From day one, I've always been impressed by the features that were available.,3CX Phone System and Digium Asterisk,Microsoft 365 BusinessGrasshopper makes Business phone system set up a breeze and affordable!Our entire company used Grasshopper. Since many of our team members work remotely, Grasshopper makes it easy to set up extensions, forward calls, ring multiple numbers, and have custom VoiceMail and VM to Email. We have 2 Toll-free numbers and a few local numbers. Each employee can log in and customize their VM and OOO messages. Grasshopper is both feature-rich and affordable.,Easy Setup, you can be up and running in 24 hours or less. You get unlimited extensions, so growing your team doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The Voicemail to email feature is great when you are on the go. You can even send voicemail messages to multiple people if needed.,The Voice to text (email) could be a bit more accurate, but sometimes it's because the person doesn't speak clearly or they have an accent and that can cause issues with the voice to text feature.,9,Grasshopper has made it very cost effective to scale with employees as there are no additional costs for adding extensions to the account.,RingCentralPut a spring in your phone system with GrasshopperWhen you want to implement a large phone system but you don't have a budget for many separate numbers, this is where Grasshopper comes in. We use it as our main extension for our circus school. Our different agents each have extensions that forward directly to their cell phones which allows us to maximize our reach.,The calls sent directly to your cell phone is a huge plus. I really enjoy receiving the voice messages in email form so I can listen to them on my computer. The process of selecting a phone number and getting everything set up was straightforward,The user interface feels slightly dated Little bit of a learning curve figuring out how to set up everything,10,When setting up my business I was debating getting a cell phone with a new number specific to that business, but Grasshopper allows me to keep my same phone number by having an 888 number that can be forwarded to my existing phone. This saves me a big phone bill each month. Receiving voice messages via email allows me to expedite response or forwarding the email along with voice message to the proper agent, again saving time and money. The use of extensions, with custom answering messages can streamline and help filter some calls, like giving directions to our facility or where to go to get more information.,
Grasshopper

Grasshopper Reviews

Grasshopper
Filter 18 vetted Grasshopper reviews and ratings

Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician profile photo
February 01, 2019

Review: "Grasshopper is the perfect phone system for small companies on the go"

• Since calls always come into my cell phone from the same Grasshopper number I just saved that number in my phone as my company name. So I always know when a call is coming in for my company and that it's not a personal call. Of course, all calls are saved and logged in Grasshopper so if I need to go back and check the actual caller ID I can do that.
  • All voicemails are immediately sent as audio files in an email to the email address on file for each extension. I personally love this feature. I can choose to go into the Grasshopper app to listen to them but its use so much more convenient to get an email, open it up and listen right from the email. The caller ID for the call is also included in the email text. So all the info I need for any missed calls is right there. Great stuff.
  • By far, one of my favorite features is the option to receive faxes to the same business number. Even though fax is being used less these days it is still used quite a bit and being able to receive faxes and having them immediately emailed to me is great.
  • The ability to transfer calls from extension to extension (as in cell phone to cell phone) is great. It doesn't matter where my colleague is. I can send the call to the right person and it's ringing on their phone in seconds.
  • There isn't much I can think of, although right now one of my team members isn't having her calls come through for some reason. We have to troubleshoot it and see if it isn't an issue with her phone first. But obviously its never good when things like that happen. Can't put the blame anywhere yet as we haven't yet looked at the issue.
  • Placing calls from within the Grasshopper app isn't always so solid. I've tried placing outgoing calls from the app and I've had issues where the person I called couldn't hear me or the call would just drop out of nowhere. It hasn't happened in a while but it did happen a few times when I first started using it. Admittedly that was over 4 years ago so it may not be an issue anymore.
  • This is a little out there but it would interesting if there were an option to SEND faxes as well. If I could take pictures of a document with my phone, or if there is an existing pdf file on my phone, the ability to send it would be great. It seems a little unnecessary because at that point you might think, well why not just email it? I agree but there are still some people and companies out there (strangely) that like to receive things via fax (i.e. the IRS still has some services that can only be taken care of if documents are mailed or faxed in). I'm sure eventually this will go the way of the dinosaur though.
The ability to have a business phone system "in the cloud", that allows my company to have the appearance of a centralized location, with no downtime on answering or returning calls is great. It also allows me to not have to give out my personal cell phone number to clients and contacts that I wouldn't want to have it. It gives me peace of mind and also adds efficiency for me and my team even as we are spread out throughout the country. For larger organizations with a centralized location where everyone works together it might not be necessary, and actually rather too cumbersome. In those cases, a dedicated VoIP phone system would certainly be a better option.
Read Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician's full review
Matthew Gardner profile photo
November 20, 2018

Grasshopper Review: "Jumping to the top of our PBX hunt"

• Administration and setup is very simple
  • Recorded voicemails save time for staff
  • Easy to assign a new employee and extension so they can receive calls
  • Calls themselves are high quality and consistent/reliable
  • The interface for admin can be a bit clunky (but I know a new one has come out)
  • The mobile apps aren't great
  • Additional charge for SMS
Perfect for calls in a mid-sized office that doesn't need desk phones and has staff who all carry smart phones with data/calling plans. Would not be great if desk phones are needed because that would add complexity to the routing and additional cost in paying for landlines. Also really great for distributed teams or teams that travel often.
Read Matthew Gardner's full review
Kevin Freels profile photo
February 07, 2019

Grasshopper Review: "Perfect system for the small business with a focus on mobility"

• Forwarding
  • Easy configuration
  • Ability to get new numbers and assigned them rapidly
  • I would like to see the softphone feature completely redone.
  • I would like grasshopper calls that are coming in on my cell phone to launch in the grasshopper app so I can clearly see immediately if it was coming from my phone or grasshopper app.
  • Integration with premise-based systems would be a very useful solution.
Start-up businesses and very small businesses that don't require a physical phone handset are ideal the grasshopper. There have been numerous times when we have met with people who needed the phone solution and it just didn't make sense sell them something more expensive considering the way that they use their phones.
Read Kevin Freels's full review
Chris Donald profile photo
January 23, 2019

Review: "Grasshopper makes Business phone system set up a breeze and affordable!"

• Easy Setup, you can be up and running in 24 hours or less.
  • You get unlimited extensions, so growing your team doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
  • The Voicemail to email feature is great when you are on the go. You can even send voicemail messages to multiple people if needed.
  • The Voice to text (email) could be a bit more accurate, but sometimes it's because the person doesn't speak clearly or they have an accent and that can cause issues with the voice to text feature.
Grasshopper is the perfect system for Start-ups and small to medium size businesses.
Read Chris Donald's full review
Tim Mack profile photo
November 30, 2018

Review: "Put a spring in your phone system with Grasshopper"

• The calls sent directly to your cell phone is a huge plus.
  • I really enjoy receiving the voice messages in email form so I can listen to them on my computer.
  • The process of selecting a phone number and getting everything set up was straightforward
  • The user interface feels slightly dated
  • Little bit of a learning curve figuring out how to set up everything
It is well suited if you run a business, work with many contractors, and want each contractor to have a phone number that is able to be reached from a mainline. This is where Grasshopper excels. You get your main number and apply extensions for all the people you work with, then your company could be unified with one phone number. Each contractor can still have their own cell phone with their own personal number and just received a forwarded call. This helped us a lot!
Read Tim Mack's full review
Laura Cain profile photo
November 28, 2018

Review: "Grasshopper: If you're looking for basic call functionality at an affordable price, this is the tool for you"

Our entire organization uses Grasshopper. Each employee has an extension through Grasshopper that goes to their personal phone, and then there are additional lines (i.e. Support, Sales, Representative) that go to various employees based on their responsibilities. We use Grasshopper as an easy way for each employee to have a phone extension without having physical wired phones or an expensive phone plan for the entire company.
  • Ease of use: It's incredibly easy to add or delete a new user and set up their personal phone to be receiving calls instantly.
  • Work hours customization: It's very easy to set up a custom work schedule. For example, if someone has a unique work schedule where they only want to receive calls on M,W,F, it's very easy to do so.
  • Email forwarding: You can quickly setup each individual extension with a unique email address to receive voicemails forwarded.
  • Missing: the ability to transfer to another extension. We often get calls that are better meant for another employee, and there's no way to forward the call to their extension. This can be incredibly frustrating, as we either have to get the person to call back or email the person directly.
  • Missed call: If you miss a call to your phone, there's no way to hear the voicemail directly on your phone, though a voicemail alert will still show up. The only way we can hear voicemails is to listen to it from the forwarded email message.
Well suited: We don't do a ton of our business via inbound calls (the majority of our calls are scheduled conference calls), so this is an extremely affordable way for employees to have phone extensions in the rare occasion that a client needs to contact them directly via phone.

Less appropriate: Because you can't transfer calls, if your business is largely inbound call based, this would not be the tool for you.
Read Laura Cain's full review
January 29, 2019

User Review: "Grasshopper In Summary"

My organization used Grasshopper to connect callers with departments and individuals instead of a landline. The whole organization used it and it helped cut the cost of a trunk line for all of the extensions we needed. The support was pretty good with a fast response rate but the system was not particularly user-friendly and required an in-office support person to utilize it well.
  • Customer support is pretty good which is important if you're managing the lines for your company.
  • Their pricing is competitive with other services of this type.
  • Their interface is not the worst I've seen.
  • Their pricing could be more competitive for what they offer.
  • It's been a while since I've used Grasshopper but their extension logic wasn't all that great.
  • I'd like to see how they could improve the speed of technical support.
For a smaller company it's a great tool. Be careful with extra pricing for things you don't need. A larger company would probably find Grasshopper somewhat limiting so be prepared to scale to a different model. A very small company would be priced out of Grasshopper although it would make a 1 or 2 person office sound way bigger.
Courtney Mudd profile photo
February 28, 2018

User Review: "Grasshopper Pros & Cons"

Grasshopper is being used by our entire organization. Members of our sales, human resources, and production team all have Grasshopper extensions that allow external leads/clients/vendors/candidates to contact a member of our team directly. The business problem Grasshopper solves is staying connected and "professional" in a very flexible work environment. It allows our employees to take business calls from their couch, in an airport, or coming out from the gym. It also allows our team to keep their personal contact information confidential.
  • Grasshopper sends you a transcript and audio recording of voicemails. I love this feature because I can easily see who called me while in my email, listen to the recording through my headphones, and either call them back directly or forward the recording and transcript to the individual they were actually trying to reach.
  • Grasshopper does a good job at making their online platform for administrators easy to use and make changes!
  • Grasshopper does a good job at keeping the cost of their service down. Sometimes I'll get frustrated over something and then remind myself that for the price we're paying, they ARE meeting my expectations...
  • Making calls from your Grasshopper phone number - Sometimes (well, most of the time) I'll just make a call directly from my cell phone because the process of opening the app, typing in the number I want to call and then making the call can take more time than the call itself.
  • Missed Calls - Myself and other coworkers have experienced frustration with Grasshopper and "missed" calls. Sometimes my phone won't ring, but I'll get an email with a voicemail. So it skips ringing my phone all together and goes directly to voicemail. I've had my phone in my hand before, ringer on, and never receive a call but received an email with a voicemail.
  • Checking Voicemails on your phone - In order to hear a voicemail from your mobile device, you have to log into the app. But the voicemail shows up under missed calls / voicemails like normal phone calls but when you try to listen to it, it's just a recording of grasshopper telling you that you have a voicemail.
  • Transferring Voicemails - You have to memorize all the extensions and the process for transferring voicemails. While it's just memorization needed to make the process work correctly, it takes a lot of time to remember how to transfer the call, the extension you want to transfer it to, and sometimes after going through all of the steps I accidentally hang up on the caller. It's user error, but I feel like if they made the process simpler, and they gave you a directory when you indicate you want to transfer the call, it'd make it a lot easier.
Well Suited Scenarios
  • If you are a startup company and want to have a "office line" to increase credibility and streamline phone calls.
  • If you have a remote workforce and need to transfer calls to individuals that aren't sitting next to you
  • If your organization is trying to save money on overhead cost, this is a very cost effective solution
  • If you have a very active workforce who are traveling all the time and never at their desk!

Not Well Suited Scenarios
  • If being on the phone / transferring calls is a big part of your organization or department. For example, I would definitely not recommend Grasshopper for a telemarketing company, customer support line, etc.
  • If your organization is in the healthcare industry or similar industry that strongly relies on having consistent, reliable, and easy to use software and tools

Read Courtney Mudd's full review
Charlie Judy profile photo
February 22, 2018

Grasshopper Review: "Easy, Affordable, Reliable Voice Solution for Small Businesses"

We use grasshopper as our central phone and voice system for incoming call traffic. We use the toll free number in our public collateral (website, etc) and each of our team members has an extension to which their calls are routed. We also use it for voicemail.
  • Ease of implementation and setup
  • Reliability
  • Affordability
  • Allow for call screening (have the caller announce themselves)
It is perfect for small teams and growing organizations who don't rely heavily on call traffic for their business, but need a solution as an option for their customers and prospects alike.
Read Charlie Judy's full review
Becky Jewell Laughton profile photo
February 01, 2018

Grasshopper Review: "Simple Solution for the Mobile Workforce"

Our small organization uses Grasshopper across the board for business related calls and support calls.

The sales team and support team both use Grasshopper, as well as our executive team.

Grasshopper solves the problem of needing to have customer phone calls routed to the cellphones of individual reps, without revealing the personal cell numbers of each rep. Our organization is extremely 'on' and involved, and we like to use mobile phones and cellphones with our clients instead of desk phones.
  • Call forwarding - Grasshopper forwards calls to my cell easily
  • Voicemail transcription - if a customer leaves a voicemail, the transcription is pretty accurate and it is funneled into our ticketing management system, Intercom
  • Simplicity - There aren't a lot of bells and whistles on our particular Grasshopper plan, and I like it this way. It makes calling as simple as picking up the phone, instead of a heavy data entry task.
  • I think the interface UI could use a facelift designwise. Some users don't like changes, but perhaps Grasshopper could create a new look for the dashboard without changing the placement of buttons. It just looks a bit dated but not terrible.
  • What I like best about Grasshopper is it is very simple and there aren't a ton of UI options, but a more formal integration with Salesforce would be good. Right now I believe integration can only be made via third party apps.
Grasshopper is great for small and agile teams who just need to make calls and get the job done. It's customizable and flexible and it is simple, great for a company of under 200 people where representatives want to be mobile, and who are very invested in their calls. IE, in a company where you're okay with taking calls later at night or on the weekend, Grasshopper is awesome.

I am not sure if Grasshopper would be my choice if I managed a company of over 500 people. I'd probably go for a more networked solution, but that said, as our company scales, we will continue to use Grasshopper.
Read Becky Jewell Laughton's full review
John McMahon profile photo
August 30, 2016

Review: "Grasshopper's great for phone calls wherever you find yourself."

We use Grasshopper in place of having desk phones. It allows us to utilize a BYOD (bring your own device) model where each employee has a phone they are comfortable with, yet we don't have to give out those individual numbers if we don't wish to. Grasshopper gives us a single business number and each user's cell phone is an extension on that main line (ex. 555-555-1234 ext. xyz). It's been a fantastic alternative to having desk phones for everyone and facilitates our flexible work arrangements (remote work, etc) by allowing anyone to contact us with the main number regardless of whether or not we're physically in the office.
  • iOS and Android apps cover most mobile devices. This is something that any business could implement, especially if they are looking to replace a traditional desktop phone system or implement a BYOD policy.
  • Grasshopper allows for a ton of flexibility and multiple work strategies. From having our front desk and support specialist able to answer the phone whether they're at their desk or in a meeting, our sales staff available out of the office, or remote workers all being tied to the same system regardless of where they work..
  • It's pretty simple to add new users to the system when we have a new hire. All they need is a cell phone and to be assigned an extension.
  • The app is pretty nice, allowing you to show the company's main phone on caller ID for outgoing calls, take calls to your cell phone when the main number is dialed with your extension, view/listen to messages, and view a full call history for the primary number.
  • The Android app is still listed as a "beta" and does have some bugs. There are times when I try to dial out and it just drops when trying to do that. A simple restart of the app clears that up.
  • You need to be careful in the call history section, it's relatively easy to hit the phone icon or number/name and dial the number instead of the arrow all the way at the right to see info about when the call came in/was placed/etc.
  • I still find myself answering "hello" and then get the message "Incoming call from Grasshopper, select 1 to answer..." It can be kind of annoying, but all the benefits far outweigh any annoyance with that.
Grasshopper is great for all kinds of small or medium businesses. Much less infrastructure cost/maintenance than having to set up a whole desktop phone system. It's also great for anyone who wants the flexibility to work from any location while keeping a single phone number. It's also nice to be able to use a personal cell phone without having to give out the cell phone number.

I could imagine it would be less useful for larger/enterprise situations. I'm writing this from a user standpoint, so I don't know the exact limits on number of extensions and things, but it could get unwieldy for a large number of users.
Read John McMahon's full review

Hosted PBX (8)
9.2
Multi-level Interactive Voice Response (IVR) (9)
User templates (6)
Call reports (8)
Directory of employee names (10)
Answering rules (11)
Call recording (2)
10.0
Call park (1)
Call screening (8)
Message alerts (9)
Audio conferencing (2)
Mobile app for iOS (7)
Mobile app for Android (6)

About Grasshopper