Gusto is a Disaster

We have been with Gusto since 2018, but we cannot in good conscience recommend them to any businesses, small, medium, or large. Their …

Gusto for Gusto

We have been using Gusto across our entire company for about two years. It has extremely streamlined our payroll processes. We used to …

Gusto Review

I've used Gusto happily and easily for my small business for over 2 years. Their interface is fairly easy to use, but two recent simple …

Direct deposit files (53)

Salary revision and increment management (47)

Pay calculation (53)

Benefit plan administration (41)

5.9

Basic

$19/month

$6 per employee/contractor

Complete: Includes everything in the Core plan, plus better HR tools so you can create a great place to work

$39/month

$12 per employee/contractor

Core: Refreshingly easy payroll so you can get back to what matters most.

$39/month

$6 per employee/contractor

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://gusto.com/product/pricing?utm_s…

Payroll Management

What is Gusto?

Gusto is a modern, online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 100,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.

Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.

Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.

Gusto Features

• Supported: Salary revision and increment management

• Supported: Flexible, automated payroll
  • Supported: Benefits administration, including HSA, FSA, and Commuter
  • Supported: Streamlined HR
  • Supported: Affordable, integrated 401(k)
  • Supported: Workers' compensation compliance
  • Supported: Custom offer docs and onboarding
  • Supported: Flexible PTO policy options

Gusto Screenshots

Easy time-off trackingFlexible, automated payrollEffortless benefits administrationEasy time-off trackingAffordable, integrated 401(k)The source of truth for all your HR data

Gusto Video

Gusto Integrations

Gusto Competitors

Gusto Technical Details

Supported CountriesUnited States
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Spanish

Alternatives

What is Gusto?

Gusto offers payroll, benefits and compliance capabilities. Gusto is scaled for small to mid-sized businesses, and emphasizes an easy to use interface.

What is Gusto's best feature?

Reviewers rate Reimbursement management highest, with a score of 9.5.

Who uses Gusto?

The most common users of Gusto are from Small Businesses and the Accounting industry.

Sarah Young (She/Her) | TrustRadius Reviewer
I would definitely recommend Gusto for employers that have 50 or fewer employees. I can see Gusto becoming a little cumbersome above that many employees. It is also best for employers who only have employees in the US. As an international company, we have to use a separate system for our international employees. However, Gusto makes payroll and benefits management so easy! And employee onboarding is a breeze!
[Personally,] I will certainly NOT recommend Gusto with the negative experience we have had so far. [In my opinion,] this has been very stressful for our entire organization and me, personally. [I believe that] I [had] really hoped that Gusto would provide the services they promised. [In my opinion, I find] it amazing how a company, like Gusto, can be so unprofessional in its approach and [when] helping the customers.
Carol Ptak | TrustRadius Reviewer
I wouldn't recommend Gusto to my worst enemy. We went into this with the expectation that they had one thing to do - provide accurate timely payroll. Our experience with them is that they are not capable of doing either - accurate or timely. Their customer service department was one excuse after another and nothing was resolved. Now we are facing a messy end-of-year filing because of their gross incompetence. Do not use Gusto
Josh Bicknell | TrustRadius Reviewer
Gusto would be ideal and perfect for smaller scale businesses and those who don’t have time to develop and fuss over payroll or other major admin issues. For a high number of employees though or much bigger businesses, Gusto might not be robust enough for their needs and for the complexities.
Gusto can pay W2 employees well. It is a straightforward and intuitive format for anyone that is software savvy. If your employees are partial commission then you will have an issue tracking time. Documents that are sent to potential new hires cannot be retrieved or downloaded until the employee has been officially hired. That means you cannot review an offer letter sent until it is signed.
December 06, 2021

Avoid Gusto at all Costs

I would NOT recommend using Gusto if you are a small business owner in need of payroll services. My experience as a new user has been awful. My employees complained at length about the extensive number of questions they were asked during onboarding (which took them 2 hrs on average to complete). Those who did not click their registration link until they had time for it found that it was no longer valid and they were unable to get a new link. But the worst part was after we finally did all that and got everything ready for our first payroll run (I completed the steps WITH a customer care representative on the phone with me to ensure I did it correctly) and I was told we were successful (I even printed out pay stubs for my team), the next morning (Pay Day) I awoke to find the payroll funds HAD been debited from my bank account but all of the sudden Gusto platforms stated that I had NUMEROUS additional documents that needed to be submitted prior to the first run and consequently first run would not take place for 5 days. Now keep in mind I had been working on this first run every day for weeks to make sure we got it right. At no time were any additional documents requested UNTIL the morning of our first payroll run. What?! So I had to tell my team that (right at the height of Christmas shopping season), for the first time in our 4 year history, they would not be paid until almost a week late and since Gusto already had my payroll funds I couldn't even cancel payroll and pay them myself through our previous system. My team is like my family; imagine how it felt for me to have to tell them that when I know many of them put that money directly into buying groceries for their kids and paying for transportation to & from work. I then spent the entire rest of the day trying in vain to get someone from Gusto to help me or at least explain what happened. AWFUL COMPANY. Don't make the same mistake I did!
Adina Stern | TrustRadius Reviewer
A year ago I would have highly recommended this company. Now I would say it is best to avoid. We are shopping for a new payroll service. There are some features that must be handled by them and you cannot get ahold of them.
Ryan Shelton | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you are a small business but have a growing team, then this is a fantastic platform. They make it easy to get setup up and easy to grow. If you are a larger company, there are probably options with more complex feature sets that would be better suited, but this is great for SMBs!
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work for over a dozen different companies, often multiple at the same time. Getting paid quickly is important, and being able to do it all in one place saves me so much time. Gusto is able to juggle multiple vendors for me while funneling my payments all in one place.
Sarah Arrillaga | TrustRadius Reviewer
Payroll can become one of the most unexciting and challenging tasks at some instances so I am glad that Gusto has been introduced for the rescue. I find this product quite scalable for both large and small companies plus of course medium-sized too. I feel that I was very recently introduced to this platform because it was something that I always wanted to have in my business.
Alan Bloxham | TrustRadius Reviewer
Gusto works great for flexible schedules because you can clock in and clock out whenever you want. The payroll notification email is detailed and nice for comparing week to week. Gusto probably wouldn't work as well with any companies that have shifts that need to be traded with or taken by other coworkers.
They have modified or frozen accounts for no reason with no notification, causing payrolls to be late or not run at all, creating problems with clients and for their employees. Upon inquiry, after 4 days of trying to get it resolved, all I got was 'sorry it was a mistake'. Upon urgent requests to please run the issues up the chain so it would not occur again or to anyone else, which were basically ignored, now it has happened again, and AGAIN with no notification. [In my opinion, this is] simply unacceptable service. I will be leaving Gusto.
Evan Wade | TrustRadius Reviewer
Their website is easy-to-use for the most part and is probably good for small companies who don't have needs like more complicated companies. [I feel] it has slowly gone downhill and as of the last few months, has been a complete nightmare to deal with, costing my company thousands of dollars in the process. [In my experience,] if you have any sort of problem with them, expect to wait a month for any kind of response - and no solution. [In my opinion,] if you expect to be a growing company, do not go with Gusto.
November 23, 2021

Gusto is a Disaster

I am not sure if Gusto is actually a viable solution, no matter the size of the business. If you need top-notch software, Gusto is not the right solution (based on our experience). If you need to reach out to customer service and receive an acceptable answer in a reasonable amount of time, Gusto is not the right solution either.
Gusto is more user-friendly than other payroll software I've used. The interface is well done. However, I'm beyond disappointed with their customer service. If you need to ask a question (ex: why aren't federal taxes being deducted?), you're out of luck [in my experience]. I submitted this question along with a letter from the IRS to Gusto 2 months ago at this point and have yet to get a response. When I call, I wait on hold for [what feels like an] eternity before connecting with someone who can't help me. They'll say their tax team is very busy and will get back to me by X date. But no one has ever gotten back to me. [I feel like] my questions are just sent into the ether. I think new users should just know [from my experience] that they're not going to be able to speak with a human at Gusto who can answer setup questions. [I would] budget a payroll/tax advisor consulting fee into your costs when you're signing up. And [in my opinion] don't bother calling them because it's just upsetting.
McKay Salisbury | TrustRadius Reviewer
You pay for the amount of users, so it's good for companies both large and small. Anytime you have W-2 employees I would think it is a great fit. You can also use it to pay independent contractors, although I haven't used those features before.

The time tracking features are included with one of the plans so if you want employees to be able to track time and have payroll automatically reflect their hours, it's great for that. It's also very easy to reimburse employees for expenses and things like that.

We didn't know about this when we got Gusto, but it also does a great job with little things such as welcome cards for new employees, it lets you make birthday cards, and little things like that.
I really like Gusto and would recommend it to anyone running a small business. The only thing I wish it had was a mobile app which would allow for time tracking remotely, but you can get around that by logging in online. The time tracking is great and running payroll works like a charm. It even will send you email updates on when your paycheck is getting depsosited and how much it is for.
Ian Hansen | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you're looking to keep all of your HR-related documents and time-tracking in one place, then Gusto could be a good fit for you. The user interface is friendly enough and their support is good, as well as decent documentation on how to set things up. Smaller organizations can benefit from Gusto and the cost is pretty good, although for larger more complex organizations, I'm not sure how Gusto would fit.
Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you need a payroll service provider, Gusto is absolutely great. They make the entire process simple, including getting set up and started with them. Running payroll cycles is incredibly easy and making adjustments each cycle poses no problem at all. For someone who is not HR and payroll savvy, Gusto has been fantastic. Since I'm not a payroll professional though I can't speak to what details and intricacies might be missing (if anything at all) for someone who needs every minute detail. It's possible there's nothing missing at all but I wouldn't know.
Gusto is great for nearly all companies. It makes payroll a very easy process, provides great automation, and makes it super easy for employees to get their paystubs electronically and update their information (W-4, etc) on their own.

I would say that organizations looking for more in-depth reporting might benefit for a more enterprise geared solution. We run more in-depth reports through our time clock software since that allows us to pool subsidiary entities whereas Gusto keeps them separately siloed.