Direct deposit files (53)
Salary revision and increment management (47)
Pay calculation (53)
Benefit plan administration (41)
Complete: Includes everything in the Core plan, plus better HR tools so you can create a great place to work
Core: Refreshingly easy payroll so you can get back to what matters most.
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that aims to help small businesses take care of their teams. According to the vendor, their products and services help customers onboard, pay, insure, and engage their team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform used by over 100,000 modern employers. Gusto aims to make taking care of teams a joyful experience, while helping users manage their bottom line and stay compliant. Gusto promises that users will feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation.
Full-service payroll - According to the vendor, Gusto makes running payroll easy. Gusto automatically calculates and files payroll taxes, help keeps companies compliant, and provides awesome support.
Benefits that work for any team and budget - Gusto aims to make offering employee benefits a reality for any small business. Whether an organization is buying health insurance for the first time or wants to integrate an existing plan with payroll, Gust can provide expert guidance. They'll help with add-ons like 401(k), life insurance, and commuter benefits, which the vendor says allows companies to create a competitive package that attracts and retains employees. The vendor promises their modern, intuitive software and team of licensed advisors helps customers navigate benefits with confidence.
- Supported: Pay calculation
- Supported: Payroll history for each employee
- Supported: Benefit plan administration
- Supported: Direct deposit files
- Supported: Payroll tracking and auditing
- Supported: Salary revision and increment management
- Supported: Flexible, automated payroll
- Supported: Benefits administration, including HSA, FSA, and Commuter
- Supported: Streamlined HR
- Supported: Affordable, integrated 401(k)
- Supported: Workers' compensation compliance
- Supported: Custom offer docs and onboarding
- Supported: Flexible PTO policy options
|Supported Countries||United States|
|Supported Languages||English, Spanish|
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tax Documentation
- Benefits Management
- Payroll Management
- International employees
- State-specific guidelines
- [In my opinion, I feel like it] keeps the client waiting without answering.
- [In my opinion, it felt like it was] over-promised and under-delivered.
- [Personally, I believe it has the] worst customer service in the industry.
- [I feel that it should improve its] customer service.
- [In my opinion, I believe it should] deliver on its promise.
- [Personally, I believe that they should] respond in [a] timely manner.
- Absolutely nothing - the first quarter IRS report was in error
- Gusto was never able to file the corrected IRS form - we waited 3 months
- Gusto withheld money from our company and then didn't send it to the IRS
- The pig is very cute but who cares
- [In my experience,] Their customer service is terrible. We were charged an extra month of service fee after we fired them for nonperformance
- Their IRS filing reports were inaccurate
- The money that is withheld from the company needs to be sent to the IRS in a timely fashion
- Overall Gusto is a big hot mess and should be avoided
- Easy to run payroll
- Great onboarding that can be customized
- Tax support has incredibly long wait times
- Support in general is not very responsive
- Simple, clean, and accessible layout for both management and employees
- Multiple other services and features offered including early pay, benefits, vacation, and owners draw options
- Super fast direct deposit options even for a small business like mine that isn’t making huge numbers. This was so helpful.
- Extremely friendly and prompt customer service
- The fees are somewhat on the higher end
- Paystubs should look a little more official rather than the minimalist look they have
- Actual business name does not show up on bank statements making it hard to verify small
- Easy to use onboarding
- Easy to use payroll
- Two days direct deposit
- Customer Service
- Modification of tax forms
- Customer Service
- Take my money each month.
- Makes it easy for employees to upload their time and expenses.
- The sync feature between time and payroll is buggy and often has to be run several times before it takes.
- Customer service is THE WORST. It takes hours to get through and if you email them, it takes OVER A MONTH for them to return the email.
- Many features cannot be "undone" without calling customer service. For example, we had a dismissal date for an employee that we entered but then the employee stayed on for a few more days. We could not do that manually on our end. We had to spend 4 hours on the phone and on hold to get this handled.
- Seamless, simple payroll that scales really well from 1 employee up to dozens of employees.
- Many benefits integrations, such as health insurance, 401k, financial systems, and HR management platforms.
- Thoughtful suggestions to management around building a great team, recognizing employees, and providing transparency.
- Still missing some integrations that would be helpful.
- Some more nuanced tax features are not as user friendly as they could be, resulting in [the] need for special payrolls from time to time.
- Their integration for health insurance benefits could be more streamlined. It is helpful but requires quite a bit of back and forth discussion and details.
- Clean interface
- No cost to the freelancer/contractor
- Fast payments
- Mobile app
- It provides easy onboarding and constant communication with our staff, which has prevented us from becoming all over the place.
- Because the product is cloud-based so it has helped us in working anywhere and at any time which is again leverage.
- The user interface is also very friendly which helps us in all types of tasks to be done efficiently with minimal errors.
- I find the program to be slightly hefty in the pricing aspect because currently we are not even using all features still it is a little towards the pricey end.
- A mobile application is something that is missing in this solution and can be a game-changer if present.
- Easy to use interface makes it simple to track time and see total hours.
- Payday reminders help employees to know about the day they are getting paid.
- Employer can ask for anonymous surveys.
- An app rather than a website would be nice.
- Double pressing the clock in/out button is an inconvenience.
- simple website
- [From my perspective,] horrible communication
- randomly freeze accounts with no notification
- slow to resolve urgent issues
- Technology is pretty good.
- [I feel the] customer service is dreadful.
- [In my experience,] they will take up to a month to respond to your inquiries.
- [It] does not properly understand state tax registration.
- Employee portal
- [In my opinion,] benefits renewal is really bad. No one called, they opened enrollment without consulting us
- Open enrollment rates are wrong, enrollment dates are wrong. It's a mess
- Getting past the call center firewall is difficult. It is taking a week of calling and emailing to get anyone's attention and it's very difficult to get errors fixed!
- Minimalist platform
- Good for simple payroll
- Faulty software
- Unresponsive customer service
- No accountability
- Easy to run payroll - user friendly
- Automates advice on setup requirements (ex: state tax registration)
- Worst customer support I've ever experienced, [for me the] standard wait time [has been] 2 - 3 weeks for a reply to a question, and even after waiting I haven't gotten a reply. It has been 2 months now.
- Paid Time Off
- Tracking Sick Leave
- End of year tax documents
- A bit confusing to find different features
- Implementing new features
- Accurate filings and tax payments.
- Very user friendly system and easy to use.
- Great time tracking that automatically syncs with payroll.
- Unlimited payrolls for no extra cost.
- Other things such as scheduling of performance reviews, time off, and even birthday reminders!
- It would be nice if there was a mobile app (there is a mobile friendly site though).
- No geo-tracking for time tracking.
- Time tracking
- Tax Document gathering and distribution
- Wish they had a mobile app
- Ease of use
- Customer service.
- Giving customer service agency to resolve problems.
- Processing of manual payroll and tax form corrections.
- Ways to escalate customer service claims.
- Good personable support
- Developers help with custom forms by creating them when submitted
- Time off request functionality is nice
- There isn't an option to tie into an Office 365 shared leave request/vacation calendar
- It would be nice if there were more pre-configured templates available for certain forms
- Tie-ins to accounting systems such as QuickBooks or Xero could be expanded
- Managing payroll and making sure all the correct taxes are taken out and withheld is done by Gusto. They make it super easy and, in particular, very clear. Every time payroll is run you can see a complete breakdown of every tax and deduction and what it's for. I like that a lot.
- Every time I receive a letter regarding new tax rates, workman's comp rules and regulations, new percentages from the dept of labor, etc. I simply take a picture and send it over to Gusto. They make sure to adjust my account accordingly. I don't need to know the specifics of what its for. They are VERY on top of things in that regard.
- Integration with Quickbooks is easy and quick.
- I'd like to see some of the features that are available on the higher-level plans be offered the Core plan, which is their starting plan. I get that when you pay more you get more, but some things could be made available.
- On the flip side, I do wish that they would separate out their payroll form their benefits and create a separate plan where the only payroll is provided. This way, companies like mine that don't make use of the vast majority of benefits plans they offer can pay a little less just for the payroll service.
- A little nitpick, but when I receive a notification from the IRS or a state tax agency I send it over to Gusto and they take care of any changes necessary. They provide an explanation of what the notice was for and what they did but very often it's using "industry jargon" and terminology that I don't understand. It would be great if they could break it down in a way that a person who is not a tax or HR professional can understand better.
- Ease of set up
- Ease of processing payroll
- Ease of integration to QBO
- Nothing so far
- Online interface is easy to use and understand
- Allows for importing of data from our time clock software
- Automatically files new hire reports with each state
- Helps keep us compliant and on time with all of our filings - automatically!
- Providing more levels of approval or control prior to processing
- Including esign of employee documents in the more basic packages