Consul

Consul

Consul, by HashiCorp

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Consul, and make your voice heard!

Open Source (self-managed)

$0

always free

Cloud (managed Consul)

starting at $.027

Per Hour

Enterprise

Self-Managed Custom Deployments

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.hashicorp.com/products/cons…

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $0.03 per month

What is Consul?

HashiCorp Consul is a platform to discover, automate and secure service networking across any cloud or runtime. It enables users to discover, Register and Resolve services for application workloads across any cloud. Automatically add and remove services based on health checking.

Consul also provides network infrastructure automation, to reduce the time to deploy applications and eliminate manual processes by automating complex networking tasks. It enables operators to deploy, manage and optimize network infrastructure.

A multi-platform service mesh, it creates a consistent platform for modern application networking and security with identity based authorization, L7 traffic management, and service-to-service encryption.

Consul Video

Introduction to HashiCorp Consul

Consul Integrations

Consul Technical Details

What is Consul?

HashiCorp Consul is a tool for discovering and configuring services in the IT infrastructure. It provides service discovery, health checking, key/value stores and support for multiple data centers out of the box.

How much does Consul cost?

Consul starts at $0.027.

What is Consul's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.8.

Who uses Consul?

The most common users of Consul are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Borislav Traykov | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Consul for 2 primary purposes:
  • service DNS across different OSes.
    This saves us the trouble of using hosts file mappings, relying on an external DNS provider and also give us a stable FQDN DNS name for our services.
  • global key-value store for having a "Single Source of Truth" where configuration values are written to and read from.
  • Providing a service DNS
  • Being a fast, stable and reliable service - a cluster of minimum 3 nodes by default
  • Being a robust key-value store
  • Easy to install and configure
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Slick and really useful web UI
  • Good official documentation
  • Error logs - some of the errors require Googling as you have no idea what they mean
  • Misconfiguration is painful - strange errors can occur if you make even a tiny mistake
Consul can provide a light-weight, lightning-fast and robust solution for the following:
  • Network mesh
  • Service DNS
  • Global key-value store (values can be complex objects as well)
  • Utility for blue-green deployments
  • Service health checking
Consul can be used in any or a combination of these scenarios. Regardless if you are a network administrator or a regular software engineer, Consul can add value to your work.
Erlon Sousa Pinheiro | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've been using Hiera as a database for my puppet deployments for years, specifically by using encrypted Hiera, but this year I had to create a new environment and I have decided to try something more robust. My logical choice was to look for something well established on DevOps ecosystem. I've heard a lot about HashiCorp Consul and I have decided to try it. Now, Consul is my official key-value solution being reliable and efficient making me confident mainly about high availability.
  • Key-Value database management.
  • Service discovery.
  • Centralized configuration database with native high availability.
  • Consul should have cryptography built in. Depending on other solutions for that doesn't look smart in my opinion.
  • Its Frontend has space for improvements.
  • Documentation also is a little poor.
Consul looks to me like an amazing solution to store configuration data. In huge cloud environments like what we are using nowadays, it is quite important to have a reliable source of parameters to our distributed applications, easily scalable and also, easy to change parameters spreading them efficiently over our entire environment.
I've never used paid support from HashiCorp, but I consider its support a good one, since they provide a lot of free resources for the community and there are good user groups supporting you on several sorts of issues. Also, HashiCorp is known as a company with a strong relationship with the community, that is easily noticed by the events HashiCorp promotes over the world.
Consul is currently being used at our company across multiple teams in both development and operations. We use Consul as a back-end for Vault, we use Consul as a means to do service discovery and health checks, and we also use the Consul K/V store to coordinate runs of our configuration management platform, Chef.
  • Service Health: Using Consul for service health/discovery has been critical to our success in a hybrid environment
  • K/V Store: The Consul K/V store is the best solution out there for our particular use case, which is as a locking mechanism to coordinate otherwise random runs of our configuration management system. This has allowed us to have peace of mind of system availability in our on-prem infrastructure.
  • API: The Consul API as a whole is excellent and extremely easy to work with
  • Documentation: Hashicorp really does documentation well. Their examples are easy to follow and everything is written in a manner that is easy to understand for beginners with the tool.
  • The GUI: The GUI interface for Consul has gotten a lot better over the years. Since Consul is so easy to interact with via API, this isn't a showstopper, but for those that are less command line inclined it's always nice to be able to refer them to an easy to use and understand web interface
  • It's chatty: Consul is extremely chatty. Sometimes it's particularly chatty at 2am with no indication as to why and eats up quite a bit of resources. Just be sure to provision your systems that typically take a heavy load with a little extra for Consul
Right now, I would wager to say that Consul is the best cloud agnostic solution for service health/discovery and for integrating with Vault (for obvious reasons).
At present, I do not have any experience with interaction from Hashicorp support. That said, I'm rating them a 5 on principle because they have excellent and well thought out documentation.
Eric Krueger | TrustRadius Reviewer
Consul is being used by the IT department to help create efficiencies across the company. Because we are a multi-data center environment we rely on Consul's monitoring to keep us alerted properly. Our DNS and services get a big boost while making our engineer's jobs easier. I highly recommend this product for any IT department.
  • Consul makes keeping our DNS up to date very simple and easy.
  • Configuration changes are a snap when Consul is involved.
  • All of our services register easy and we sleep better knowing Consul is on the job.
  • We would like to see more out of the box training for Consul use.
  • Best practice examples would be nice for routing.
  • The agent could be easier to run.
Consul is well suited for both SMB as well as enterprise environments. I have found it to be a robust scalable tool to help make our company more efficient. Consul excels in a single database or a multi-database environment which makes searches easier. Small businesses might find this a bit overkill as a product but it can still benefit them.
Claudio Fernando Maciel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Consul as our service discovery to provide load balancing decisions on our swarm of containers, distributed throughout our clients' servers, as well as our servers. The DevOps team is the responsible for leveraging our Consul instances, maintaining them and keeping them communicable with all our nodes in a real time fashion.
  • Quick, hands-on solution to integrate with Docker containers via Docker-machine in a Docker Swarm flavour
  • Automatic provisioning of the mapped services via a dynamic API. One cannot beat that!
  • Free Health Checking means by which we can assert whether a certain service is up and running or not.
  • When it gracefully dies, it dies too gracefully. Way to graceful to find in a simple way what was wrong.
  • Working with the ACLs could be a little simpler.
  • I didn't find a native way of configuring it as a circuit breaker. Perhaps that could be an item to be improved in the future.
I've been using Consul as my only service discovery tool for my Swarm of Nodes, deployed with Docker. Also, as a side effect, it provides me a great health checking tool for my node services. I didn't need to to much configuration, pretty much the stock Consul docker image ran almost out of the box, without much hassle, which in this aspect, is a basic characteristics of Consul.