Consul

Consul

Consul, by HashiCorp

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Consul, and make your voice heard!

Open Source (self-managed)

$0

always free

Cloud (managed Consul)

starting at $.027

Per Hour

Enterprise

Self-Managed Custom Deployments

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.hashicorp.com/products/cons…

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $0.03 per month

What is Consul?

HashiCorp Consul is a platform to discover, automate and secure service networking across any cloud or runtime. It enables users to discover, Register and Resolve services for application workloads across any cloud. Automatically add and remove services based on health checking.

Consul also provides network infrastructure automation, to reduce the time to deploy applications and eliminate manual processes by automating complex networking tasks. It enables operators to deploy, manage and optimize network infrastructure.

A multi-platform service mesh, it creates a consistent platform for modern application networking and security with identity based authorization, L7 traffic management, and service-to-service encryption.

Consul Video

Introduction to HashiCorp Consul

Consul Integrations

Consul Technical Details

What is Consul?

HashiCorp Consul is a tool for discovering and configuring services in the IT infrastructure. It provides service discovery, health checking, key/value stores and support for multiple data centers out of the box.

How much does Consul cost?

Consul starts at $0.027.

What is Consul's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.8.

Who uses Consul?

The most common users of Consul are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Borislav Traykov | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Consul for 2 primary purposes:
  • service DNS across different OSes.
    This saves us the trouble of using hosts file mappings, relying on an external DNS provider and also give us a stable FQDN DNS name for our services.
  • global key-value store for having a "Single Source of Truth" where configuration values are written to and read from.
Erlon Sousa Pinheiro | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've been using Hiera as a database for my puppet deployments for years, specifically by using encrypted Hiera, but this year I had to create a new environment and I have decided to try something more robust. My logical choice was to look for something well established on DevOps ecosystem. I've heard a lot about HashiCorp Consul and I have decided to try it. Now, Consul is my official key-value solution being reliable and efficient making me confident mainly about high availability.
Consul is currently being used at our company across multiple teams in both development and operations. We use Consul as a back-end for Vault, we use Consul as a means to do service discovery and health checks, and we also use the Consul K/V store to coordinate runs of our configuration management platform, Chef.
Eric Krueger | TrustRadius Reviewer
Consul is being used by the IT department to help create efficiencies across the company. Because we are a multi-data center environment we rely on Consul's monitoring to keep us alerted properly. Our DNS and services get a big boost while making our engineer's jobs easier. I highly recommend this product for any IT department.
Claudio Fernando Maciel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Consul as our service discovery to provide load balancing decisions on our swarm of containers, distributed throughout our clients' servers, as well as our servers. The DevOps team is the responsible for leveraging our Consul instances, maintaining them and keeping them communicable with all our nodes in a real time fashion.