Heartland Payroll Reviews

April 16, 2021
Bradley Gill | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a small video production company with only four full-time employees paid on salary. We have used Heartland Payroll since we started payroll four years ago. They make it fairly easy so that I don't have to do too much in order to make sure everyone gets paid. I had a representative locally help me get started and then the rest is taken care of by a remote account manager.
  • The account rep is very responsive and usually gets back to my emails quickly.
  • The online system is really easy to use.
  • They offer a separate page for employees to log in for pay stubs and another log in for admin.
  • Sometimes I don't receive the email to remind me to process payroll.
  • The local rep that helped with the setup is no longer with the company and I don't have anyone to contact locally if needed.
  • I wish there was a one click button so that I could just repeat the same payroll as last time.
We really only use the payroll features on Heartland, but they do offer so much more. They can help with vacation and sick time accrual and much more that I probably don't even know about. In order to get started with Heartland Payroll, it seems like you might need to know a little bit about how payroll works so that you can set it up properly.
My account rep is very responsive when I send them an email. Sometimes I don't use the exact lingo and it takes a few messages to get the answer I'm looking for, but that is probably my fault. I do wish there was a local rep that I could meet with if needed.
Read Bradley Gill's full review
April 02, 2020
Lisa Baker | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Heartland for all divisions. We utilize the payroll and employee onboarding products. It helps keep all documents in one secure location and allows our employees to access their pay stubs at any time.
  • Onboarding: their secure platform allows employees to upload sensitive documents to a safe location.
  • Payroll processing: it's a very easy platform to navigate through.
  • Personal communication: I have one rep who I have direct communication with.
  • If I need to calculate the net amount for a check, it's a difficult process.
Because we're a small business, I can't tell if Heartland Payroll is appropriate for a larger operation. For a small business, it's like having your own HR department. You can place an ad, accept resumes, and hire directly through their Heartland Hires platform. This is perfect for a small company like ours. For a larger company, it may not be robust enough.
I never have trouble reaching customer support. They always are able to assist with fixing any problems that arise. There honestly haven't been many issues at all. Only ones I've created :)
Read Lisa Baker's full review
April 02, 2020
TINA LARSSON | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Heartland Payroll for our whole organization. It is a great payroll service. I really appreciate the personal service, the fixed payroll fee as opposed to an initial low fee followed by large increases, and the fact that we do not get sales calls from them. Highly recommend Heartland Payroll.
  • Personal service
  • No sales calls
  • Payroll fees are as promised
  • The payroll online platform is not the best
Heartland Payroll is well suited for small to medium businesses. As a small business owner, I find the personal service is a value add, which I appreciate and prefer. Since the online technology platform is not the fastest and best, I would imagine that it would be less suitable for large corporations.
Heartland Payroll has impeccable support, quick response time, and overall very personable interactions.
Read TINA LARSSON's full review

Pay calculation (1)
Direct deposit files (2)
10.0
Salary revision and increment management (2)
9.5

What is Heartland Payroll?

According to the vendor, Heartland Payroll is a complete management solution. The vendor aims to serve as a single point of contact, making it easy to deal with any issue. Customers have online access to their payroll data and employee information, and Heartland’s user-friendly tools allow you to stay on the go or take it slow.