https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Wa/72/N8G8EK7BWPXB.PNGHeroku the all in one cloud platform serviceOur organization is majorly developing the application by using Node.js and PHP Frameworks. It has very well baked features including auto-deployment, application sleeping, and cost-effective service. Service comes with Free SSL and custom domains which helps customers to satisfy by accessing services within same root domain. We have deployed several applications using Node.js and it works very well.,Supports auto deployment using the GIT version control system Free SSL for custom domains Easy to customize server needs Pipelines help to stage the application Has inbuilt application for accessing and managing the servers from the terminal,Add-ons are pretty costly Limited server locations Prices are costly,8,Heroku supports various languages which help us to deploy our various projects by the requirements Heroku helps us to reduce the using and purchasing 3rd party applications for deployment, running CI, staging and monitoring the applications within one place Our developers can focus on other tasks while working and deploying with Heroku because it has inbuilt many features to work and maintain,Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Google Compute Engine and DigitalOcean,DigitalOcean, Google Compute Engine, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)Heroku most developer-friendly platformHeroku is an innovative platform for fast web apps development and thus ideal for deploying demos/testing environments/APIs. In our organization Heroku is used primarily for APIs; many software vendors provide opensource web apps and services with API and documentation, ready to be deployed at Heroku with some manual tuning and the rest is automated and integrated with various cloud services and platforms by default.,Opensource (with extensive documentation) Innovative (cutting-edge web technologies, latest versions of programming languages, tools, services, integrations) Focused on speed and scalability Free pricing plan and pricing in general,Heroku requires installation of Heroku CLI tools locally. Is it possible to be achieved with just standard traditional tools like rSync, ssh, etc?,10,Familiarization with latest web technologies. Reducing deployment costs. Automation.,OpenShift and IBM Cloud PaaS (formerly IBM Bluemix - PaaS),OpenShift, IBM Cloud PaaS (formerly IBM Bluemix - PaaS), GitHub, Travis CI, Twilio SMS,Microservices API Integration,Yes, but I don't use itThe best place I know to deploy a brand new Rails appHeroku has both, a free and a paid plan. I [have] used the free tier for many years now, and it's the best platform to deploy an MVP of a Rails application, no doubt. It provides all the tools you need to deploy and manage your application in production so that you can focus on the development of your product. The paid plan is a natural choice when you validate your idea since you're used to the tools and the application is ready for the infrastructure. Both, free and paid, are excellent products.,The tooling is simply amazing. You can deploy your application in some minutes without any prior experience with the platform. Their way of building applications encourage you to think about scalability and composability of your app. They have a big community around the platform and many add-ons written by third-parties.,The price is not so affordable when you start growing. For small companies, needing small containers, it works quite well but for large applications, it may be too expensive.,9,A lot less time spent with infrastructure tasks Less money spent on a staging environment. We can use the free tier with the same app on a different scale. A guideline to develop scalable applications in a cloud environment,Google App Engine and Jelastic,Todoist, Twist, TogglHeroku, a great PaaSWe use Heroku to host some of our clients' applications and services, it allows us to quickly deploy something without worrying much about the infrastructure we are deploying to. It saved us lots of time with technical operations. We really recommend it, since is really easy to use, everything is just a command line away.,Heroku deployment process Heroku documentation Heroku Toolbelt makes everything so easy,Heroku is incredibly expensive compared to alternatives It'd be nice to have more logs than just the last 1500 lines. No way to install system software.,9,Simplicity and very good documentation makes things easier, it means you don't have to hire a dedicated devops person to manage this stuff. Heroku dashboard allow us to quickly and easily do triage from anywhere, including our smartphone. Heroku allowed us to get up and running fast. This saved us lots of time and money.,Docker and OpenShift,Slack, Dynatrace Application Monitoring, Jenkins, Atlassian Confluence, Symantec Endpoint ProtectionA great option for your initial deployment!Used to quickly and easily deploy an application that we were developing,Quick to configure Quick to deploy Easy to use,Pricing could be cheaper,7,As I said, quickly get your application deployed. If left alone you may come to find a large bill hitting your inbox for your running instances.,AWS Elastic Beanstalk and AWS Lambda,AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Bitbucket
Heroku

Heroku Reviews

Heroku
Top Rated Award
Filter 104 vetted Heroku reviews and ratings
Sazzad Hossain Sharkar profile photo
June 27, 2018

Review: "Heroku the all in one cloud platform service"

We have deployed several applications using Node.js and it works very well.
  • Supports auto deployment using the GIT version control system
  • Free SSL for custom domains
  • Easy to customize server needs
  • Pipelines help to stage the application
  • Has inbuilt application for accessing and managing the servers from the terminal
  • Add-ons are pretty costly
  • Limited server locations
  • Prices are costly
As an all-in-one application service, Heroku is very well suited for everything including, staging, CI Runner, easy deployment, custom domains adding and managing the servers from the native desktop terminal.

Due to its add-on costs and a limited edition of server locations, it seems they need to upgrade their facilities including more server locations like Singapore or India which are near to ours.
Read Sazzad Hossain Sharkar's full review
Andrew Starodubtsev profile photo
April 28, 2018

Review: "Heroku most developer-friendly platform"

• Opensource (with extensive documentation)
  • Innovative (cutting-edge web technologies, latest versions of programming languages, tools, services, integrations)
  • Focused on speed and scalability
  • Free pricing plan and pricing in general
  • Heroku requires installation of Heroku CLI tools locally. Is it possible to be achieved with just standard traditional tools like rSync, ssh, etc?
The simplest scenario is when someone engineers a website or portal or online service with third-party integrations and there is a need to build some kind of infrastructure, every integrated app (back-end) will live on Heroku, providing APIs/microservices to main website where all that will aggregate and displayed. Main website can be easily "hosted at" (in traditional terms) / deployed to Heroku also where it can be additionally tested, secured, etc.
Due to Heroku platform flexibility there are many successful scenarios and use cases.
Read Andrew Starodubtsev's full review
Willian Molinari profile photo
April 28, 2018

Heroku Review: "The best place I know to deploy a brand new Rails app"

• The tooling is simply amazing. You can deploy your application in some minutes without any prior experience with the platform.
  • Their way of building applications encourage you to think about scalability and composability of your app.
  • They have a big community around the platform and many add-ons written by third-parties.
  • The price is not so affordable when you start growing. For small companies, needing small containers, it works quite well but for large applications, it may be too expensive.
For small companies that are building a new app or already have one being maintained by a very small team, Heroku is perfect. The price will be affordable and it will totally pay the price of having all the tooling they provide. When you start growing, the platform may become too expensive for the size of the company, so it's important to be prepared to change in case you reach this phase.
Read Willian Molinari's full review
May 01, 2018

User Review: "Heroku, a great PaaS"

• Heroku deployment process
  • Heroku documentation
  • Heroku Toolbelt makes everything so easy
  • Heroku is incredibly expensive compared to alternatives
  • It'd be nice to have more logs than just the last 1500 lines.
  • No way to install system software.
You can set up an entire environment very fast. It's great for someone starting out and deploying their first webapp, and great as a service overall. I cannot immediately recommend it to larger organisations though without looking deeper into the potential cost first. As traffic rises, consider switching to a performance dyno, which gives you more bang for your buck, and also has much slower response time. Beware of delays in your requests when you deploy, consider using rolling restarts to fix it.
April 27, 2018

Heroku Review: "A great option for your initial deployment!"

Used to quickly and easily deploy an application that we were developing
  • Quick to configure
  • Quick to deploy
  • Pricing could be cheaper
If you need a basic environment setup that you can deploy to Heroku is good! If you need something that is more manageable get with something like AWS
Miles Porter profile photo
May 06, 2016

User Review: "Heroku FTW for POC!"

Heroku is used in our organization to prototype various service and dynamic web site implementations. While I have access to other cloud based PAAS and SAAS technologies such as AWS, Azure and Rackspace, I have found that Heroku provides the only really true "Free" platform to prototype very simple ideas. I have also used Heroku for some websites in the past that were above the free level.
  • Works well with GIT making deployment pretty easy.
  • A variety of add-ons to that offer various additional features.
  • Multiple language support (RoR, Java, etc.)
  • Stability. Heroku seems to suffer from stability issues from time to time.
  • Logging. I know that there are a number of different options out there. I just don't want to pay extra for something that is a pretty basic requirement.
  • The web based UI is pretty sparse. I appreciate the simplicity (having used AWS and Azure). That said, I sometimes have trouble finding things... like how do I get to my running app?
Heroku is great for very small prototype apps, and can grow with them to medium sized and even larger. I think that it is really easy to get started with heroku. Just the other day, I cloned a Java starter project for heroku, and was up and running in under 10 minutes. That is really great... particulary considering the amount of time I have had to spend in Azure's configuration, and with OpsWorks in AWS in the past. It may not work for everything, but for small simple things, you just cannot go wrong with Heroku.
Read Miles Porter's full review
Shannon E. Wells-Mongiovi profile photo
April 19, 2016

Heroku Review: "For launching your startup or your pet side project, don't bother with anything else."

I have used Heroku since around 2010 for both personal and work-related, Ruby on Rails applications. In all but one case it was used across the whole organization for its main product. The Heroku platform is very well suited for a startup and with enough time investment the platform will serve through an intermediate growth stage.** My experience is only at the small, startup level (around $300/month for 2 dynos and 2 workers plus some add-ons). The main business problem it has addressed for my companies, is substituting as a dedicated devops person, which is especially valuable for a smaller organization that needs to run lean. ** At the later stages, you may very well have a complex enough product with enough pieces that it will be worth hiring at least one devops person - even a junior one - to manage everything, because Heroku just can't do everything, and you'll likely also be running multiple apps and instances.
  • I can't stress enough the importance of Heroku's integration with a wide variety of providers in the form of add-ons. Provisioning is easy for logging and monitoring, caching, data storage, text messaging, email, source code hosting, payment processors, performance and load testing, different database add-ons, etc., -- if you can think of it, Heroku probably supports at least one type of provider for it. This alone saves a ton of time evaluating and integrating the different providers into your application.
  • Heroku is insanely well-equipped to host Rails applications and other Ruby-based web applications (e.g. Sinatra and custom Rack applications). They also support PHP, Node.js, Python, Java, Go, Clojure and Scala-based applications.
  • The Heroku Dashboard is one of the best UIs I've seen for just about anything. Given how complicated it could get, it's obvious what you are doing and how to do it.
  • The Heroku documentations is top-notch and always kept up-to-date. I am VERY picky about this sort of thing and I have no complaints at all.
  • I've found customer support to be variable. When I've contacted them by filing tickets, they have been professional and generally very responsive, however, when we set up a phone conference to discuss our security needs, the support person we talked to was only marginally professional in his responses, and not really helpful.
  • Heroku needs more than one hosted location in the US. Relating to the meeting I mentioned, my previous company needed a disaster recovery plan since we were trying to qualify for SOC-2 certification. Because we were also a fintech business, we could not choose a host outside of the US, so having only Virginia as an available location caused problems for us.
I find Heroku to be best for startups and companies in an initial growth phase. Unfortunately, moving away from Heroku can be very painful, and so companies seem to end up throwing a bunch of money at a lot of dynos and workers and not really figuring out a better architecture or hosting platform, because they are growing so fast they don't really have the time for it.
Read Shannon E. Wells-Mongiovi's full review
Adam Fortuna profile photo
April 15, 2016

Review: "7+ Years using Heroku at Code School and on my own personal projects"

We've used Heroku for a number of projects over the years -- probably more than 100 different sites and applications. It is undoubtably the easiest way for us to get started on a project. A number of sites are, or were at some point hosted on Heroku -- Code School, Try Ruby, Try Git and many more. Heroku enabled us to grow without a dedicated systems administrator, while not worrying about the reliability of our servers and instead focusing on the customer experience and product.
  • Easy to get started -- you just need some git experience.
  • Reliable - over the years our sites have rarely been down. When they are down due to our own code (memory limitations, bugs), they're restarted in a smart way that brings them back fast.
  • Database management using Postgres is made extremely easy. As someone who's not a sysop, I setup database replication, made and restored backups, connected from my local computer, and did many other things with surprising ease.
  • For personal sites and small sites, the price can be daunting. For the same price as a worker, and an addon or two, I could get a full out server.
  • Better reporting on how apps scale and whether I should add more dynos or less. At times our site was growing slower and slower and we upped our dynos. It wasn't until we lowered our dynos that the site sped up.
  • The "heroku" plans on the addons are sometimes confusing to understand how that works if I transition off Heroku.

Heroku to me is less suited for companies that have a dedicated sysop who can handle server architecture and maintenance. Once our site was large enough, we found we could save more than the cost of an entire hire by switching to dedicated servers. For these very large sites, I feel like heroku could do better from a pricing standpoint.

I feel it's better for smaller sites that might be in the under $1,000 range, or for companies that have the cash and want to move fast.

Read Adam Fortuna's full review
Mark Hutter profile photo
April 12, 2016

Heroku: "Beginner to moderate, it will be your Hero-ku ;D"

Heroku is used to host and run our web application and background processes. Mainly our software team and data science team use Heroku. The software team uses Heroku and various plugins to deploy and monitor the performance of the web applications and background tasks. It is the hosting services that runs our SaaS product.
  • It makes deployment, environment configuration, and simple manageability extraordinarily simple and easy to do, and getting up and going is a wonderfully simple process.
  • The metrics included are excellent as a first resource for diagnosing high level issues.
  • For beginners, Heroku is an excellent tool, making initial deployment and environment configuration wonderfully easy and fast.
  • Heroku is absolutely fantastic on the mobile break point (mobile responsiveness). As a startup, things still happen on weekends while out at the park or driving out of town, and it has been wonderful to be able to troubleshoot or restart servers from the phone.
  • The Heroku CLI provides a wonderful interface for interacting with the cloud environment.
  • Heroku does not provide static IP addresses. For most applications this is not a concern, but in particular cases, especially around explicitly sensitive data, this makes Heroku prohibitive.
  • For a more senior engineer seeking to SSH onto a server and monitor the machine's performance, or extract log files for extensive research, Heroku does not provide a great way to do this.
  • Heroku permissions controls could be more granular. For instance, allowing some users to view environment variables while others can not view these.
Heroku is the best choice for any developer working on personal projects or small applications. Heroku is also a great choice for an organization with a small technical team relative to the amount of technical throughput. Heroku takes care of the "easy" configurations for you, and comes out of the box with so much. Although the price point is slightly higher, the time and effort saved is well worth the money. Heroku may not be the best case when it comes to more restricted and complicated fields, like healthcare, which are subject to government regulations around access control and logging and log persistence.
Read Mark Hutter's full review
Samantha Ready profile photo
May 04, 2016

User Review: "Deploy Apps Faster on Heroku"

Our team uses Heroku to manage our community portal. It helps our team scale as our product scales, install add-ons when needed, and get a clear view into who is doing what using Heroku Dashboards and Pipelines. It was a game changer in helping us get up and running quickly with a short runway to launch.
  • Highly scalable
  • Easily traced activities and version control
  • Optimized for team development
  • Needs more docker services
  • Would be nice to have a unified DX for Salesforce developers/administrators who are working with Heroku
It seems like the pricing model prices out the little guy.
Read Samantha Ready's full review
Robby Grossman profile photo
May 03, 2016

Heroku Review: "Great Hosting Platform When You Value Time and Simplicity"

We use Heroku to host small applications or services, particularly internal ones, where the ease of the platform and administration is more important to us than a highly available service but one which we need to manage ourselves.
  • Inexpensive to get started
  • Encourages best practices
  • Expensive at scale
  • No access to raw servers -- if Heroku is down, you are too, and all you can do is wait for them to fix it.
  • Maintenance and relatively short stack life cycle means you can't push an app to Heroku and leave it for years. You'll be forced to migrate it.
Well-suited for services that are not mission-critical, where ease of deployment and speed to get started is paramount.
Read Robby Grossman's full review
Jake Moffatt profile photo
April 22, 2016

User Review: "Heroku, the good, the bad and the ugly"

We use Heroku as a staging platform and to host our admin tool. It allows for us to quickly deploy something for testing without worrying much about the infrastructure we are deploying to, or having to worry about software updates for critical services like Redis or our Postgres database.
  • Heroku's deployment process is very painless.
  • Heroku does a great job of making system/infrastructure upgrades painless and transparent.
  • Heroku's CLI toolset is well built and puts all of your app's info, settings, add-ons, logs, etc, right at your fingertips.
  • Heroku does not offer a very wide range of dyno sizes - it would be nice to be more flexible about how much RAM or CPU each dyno consumes.
  • While Heroku is well engineered for deploying certain common types of applications, it can be tricky to deploy more esoteric or uncommon configurations (like Rails + Node.js at the same time).

Heroku is really, really good for Ruby on Rails applications. Heroku is not very good for applications that require many different languages for various micro-services, or the types of apps where you might have a very tiny service that does not require much RAM or CPU, but which you need to spin up hundreds of such instances.

Heroku would probably be good for a slightly technical client if you were going to turn over the keys after a consulting gig - it is very well documented and there are many resources out there for dealing with specific issues, it is way better than trying to support your client on something like DreamHost or GoDaddy.

Perhaps Heroku's greatest strength is in providing a hosting platform that stays out of the way while you build out your business logic and grow your startup from the beginning. It allows your engineers to focus on the problem, not the infrastructure.

Read Jake Moffatt's full review
Mike Desjardins profile photo
September 29, 2015

Heroku: "Great for small teams starting out, but plan on migrating away eventually - it comes at a cost"

I've used Heroku at several different organizations, as well as for personal projects. Generally it's been with teams of 4 people or less, I've used it in an organization with ~20 people.
  • Simplicity. You won't find an easier way to get an application deployed, so if TTM is super-critical, it's a good choice.
  • Because it's so simple, it doesn't require any dedicated DevOps development, which is a cost benefit.
  • Adding additional "add on" services is also easy - need search? Need Redis? Need Analytics? Just click a button to activate it.
  • Cost. Heroku is somewhat affordable for small applications and teams because it frees up developers from DevOps work, but quickly becomes very expensive when you scale your application and team to support more users on your application.
  • Lack of transparency - if Heroku has an outage, you often get little more status than reports of increased error rates, but the issue has been resolved.
  • Lack of customization - sometimes you need to ability to change your environment more than Heroku allows, and because you don't have a true server that you can get to a command prompt for, your options can be limited.
Well suited to small teams building low-traffic sites or MVPs, but plan on migrating away from it if your team or application grows in order to save expenses, improve transparency, and make your environment more customizable.
Read Mike Desjardins's full review
Chris Barretto profile photo
September 29, 2015

User Review: "Easy Peezy Heroku"

We use Heroku as our primary hosting service for our web application. It takes care of scaling when it comes to our database size, web traffic spikes, and background jobs. Deployment and maintenance come with ease without having to worry about managing our infrastructure. We have multiple web applications that serve as our staging and production environments, and we use a tagging system that rolls out our deploys quickly. The scheduler comes in very handy to mimic cronjobs necessary to run at specific times. Without having to worry about the systems side of development, we can concentrate more on features.
  • On-demand scalability
  • Ease of deployment
  • Command Line Interface
  • Fail safe when Amazon has problems. I understand that some of the ownership is on us, but we would prefer if we didn't have to resort to another service for backup.
We like to keep our web workers around 3, but often times we need to send out newsletters to thousands of users in a timely manner. In this scenario, Heroku makes it easy to crank up the workers to 20, in order to run through the distribution quickly, and immediately scale back down on success of all the jobs. This avoids unnecessary costs to have that many simultaneous resources running all the time.
Read Chris Barretto's full review
David Hunt profile photo
October 08, 2015

Review: "Heroku Makes You Want To Deploy A Product"

We needed a trusted hosting platform that could scale but wouldn't come down like the other PaaS companies that pop up every day. In my previous role, Heroku was used for multiple applications, from our production application to one off proof of concepts.
  • The UI and admin dashboard made it easy to understand what was going on with each application.
  • Heroku makes it easy to control who has access to your deployment platform.
  • The command-line tool (CLI) is very well made. It makes deployment simple.
  • Our biggest gripe is the hoops we had to jump through in order to see exactly what went wrong during deployments.
It's especially great if you'd like to deploy a bot to Slack.
Read David Hunt's full review
Carlos Xavier Hernández profile photo
October 06, 2015

User Review: "Go with Heroku!"

We use Heroku to deploy everything from interactive scientific visualizations to our Slack team's signup page. Heroku makes it really easy to prototype and launch a product in minutes.
  • Easy-to-use commandline tools
  • Third-party integrations (e.g. Github)
  • Reliable servers
  • Learning curve is fairly steep
  • Better build-packs (esp for python)
  • Option to use a GPU server
Heroku is best for prototyping.
Read Carlos Xavier Hernández's full review
Jonathan Crane profile photo
May 11, 2015

Review: "Heroku's neat implementation and great documentation made it a great solution for building web apps"

We used Heroku to deploy two Node.js web apps for clients in our Health practice. Both apps integrated various COTS products and were brought to market very quickly.
  • Integrates with Git and GitHub
  • Handles all the infrastructure requirements and lets us focus on development
  • Documentation is fantastic
  • Requires technical knowledge to use; you need an engineer for the project
  • Costs money to scale properly
I would recommend Heroku without reservation for companies looking to deploy a web app written in Node.js or Ruby on Rails.
Read Jonathan Crane's full review
Leigh Wetmore profile photo
June 03, 2014

User Review: "Heroku is our genie in a bottle."

We are a mobile data collection company. We host the server component of our application and our customer data through Heroku and its plug-ins. As such, it is the technological backbone of our company. As we are a small company, we do not have sufficient resources to manage our own server infrastructure - Heroku fills this role nicely. It allows us to easily scale our resources, up or down, to meet customer demand. It offers plug-ins that help expose the issues customers are having, and help gather and report metrics for determination of ROI.
  • Very low (or no) cost initially for full functionality. Great for a start-up.
  • Highly scalable. Adding computing power to an environment, or creating a new one, takes seconds.
  • Plug-ins. A wide variety of plug-ins exist for a variety of purposes: data storage, error reporting/logging, metrics gathering, backup and many more.
  • Simple. Get up and running in a couple of hours. Documentation is available for all tasks.
  • Seamless integration with Git, a quick Git push and your server is updated instantly.
  • Heroku does not support .NET, only Ruby, Java, Node.js, Python and a few others
  • Heroku can get very expensive if very powerful hardware is required. Not all plug-ins are free; the monthly cost can easily creep up.
  • The potential for downtime increases as more plug-ins are used, if you're not careful in how you bring everything together.
  • Heroku seamlessly connects you to the plug-ins you use via user accounts for those plug-ins' web sites; however in some cases, such as Mongo HQ, Heroku creates the account for you and it can be difficult to gain access to the plug-in directly if needed.
Heroku is well-suited to companies who:
- can't afford their own IT infrastructure, or whom have no interest in the time overhead associated with managing it
- have a business that requires a high level of agility or responsiveness (e.g., quickly signing up a new customer who requires a silo'ed environment)
- work with Ruby, Node.js, Python or Java server components, and use Git for version control
Read Leigh Wetmore's full review
David Hart profile photo
April 15, 2013

Review: "Look at Heroku first when designing a web application"

• Very easy to use platform as a service. If you are running a node.js application, the only thing you need to do is to specify the node and npm versions in your package.json and be sure that you are referencing the port provided in your environment rather than hard-coding a port number.
  • Really good set of partners. It's easy to try out a wide range of partner applications from within the Heroku environment. Most have a free trial option.
  • Single management console for your application. You can access the administrative function for any application from within Heroku.
  • For node.js, the platform does not support websockets and because you do not have sticky sessions, it is virtually impossible to do any socket.io applications if you want to run multiple dynos. There is an add-on that will allow you to do push style APIs, but one of the benefits of using node.js is its natural support for this programming model.
  • It would be really nice if you could configure your application to spread dynos across multiple availability zones and control this. Heroku runs on top of AWS in the US EAST region. We run all of our other services there as well. For many of these services, we are able to create a scenario where we have a master-slave configuration across different availability zones (i.e. Amazon data centers). I wish we could do that with Heroku.
Read David Hart's full review
April 08, 2016

Review: "Heroku: Pay to make your DevOps work go away"

We used Heroku on our engineering team to replace straight AWS EC2 instances for our web app. As we moved towards more service-oriented architecture, we stood up new services on Heroku quite easily. The idea was to reduce DevOps complexity as much as possible and avoid spending our time in that area, even if the infrastructure was slightly costlier.
  • When you have an app that closely follows the conventions of its framework (say, a conventional Rails app), Heroku makes it stupid simple to get a production website going.
  • Setting up sandboxes and test apps is simple. Because you can associate add-ons and databases to Heroku apps, you can copy an entire environment quite easily.
  • Heroku recently added the ability to auto-deploy from GitHub pending Continuous Integration results, make it easy to set up a Continuous Deployment flow through GitHub.
  • When you have elements outside of the norm, things can get harder. For example, our Rails app depended on a non-Gem dependency (Pandoc), and figuring out how to get Heroku to play nice with that was rather difficult. Along the same lines, doing something like a combination Node/Rails app requires quite a bit of finesse to get Heroku to do what you want.
  • Heroku is much pricier than something like EC2 for the amount of computing power. We had lots of problems with memory usage with our app. On EC2, we could have simply moved to larger instances, but on Heroku we had to go on a bit of a goose chase to find ways to reduce memory usage. It's necessary to assess scale and decide whether the reduced complexity is worth the cost. In my uses of Heroku, it has been.
  • You are at Heroku's mercy when they have an outage, and there's generally nobody to talk to.
Recommended for low-scale apps where the additional cost of the computing power you get on Heroku isn't an issue. Not recommended for extremely high-scale apps due to the cost, or if an app has non-standard setup, dependencies, or configuration.
June 10, 2016

Heroku Review: "Easy to use and the best documentation around!"

Heroku is used as both a platform for hosting our website both for production and staging. Where Heroku also thrives is the ease of use due to the fact that it has some of the best documentation on the internet. It also allows for seamless integration for many third party tools.
  • Third party integration
  • Separation between staging and production sites
  • Documentation
  • Terminal commands
  • Scalability
  • Frequent maintenance from Heroku team which forces lack of productivity from my team
  • Adding dynos - not very cost effective
Heroku is great for small websites or to create some kind of a prototype for a product. It was used plenty to get test projects live in a coding bootcamp classroom setting. I find that scaling is a bit of an issue when your application becomes too large. AWS is probably a better choice as growth occurs.
April 15, 2016

Review: "Heroku for data processing, fast & easy"

We use Heroku mainly as the framework for our application (Ruby on Rails, etc.). The data science team also uses Heroku as a simple way to get Python apps up for data processing (Heroku Scheduler, Redis, webhooks). It helps get things up and running quickly when we need to implement some sort of code.
  • Fast: We can get web apps up and running very quickly.
  • Add-ons: Heroku has a rich add-on library that further saves a lot of time we would spend building things from ground-up.
  • Simple: GitHub integration and clean UI makes the learning curve relatively flat.
  • Docs Organization: I think the docs are good, but they could definitely be organized better.
  • Heroku CLI: Some of the commands feel unintuitive.
  • Scaling: I haven't really seen a great solution to scale dynos based on need.
Heroku is pretty robust. I don't think there's really a situation where it wouldn't be a solid option. It definitely does a lot of the leg work for you! For web apps that are super critical, a company might consider an internal server solution since Heroku/AWS goes down from time to time.
April 12, 2016

User Review: "Heroku rocks!"

We use heroku for our deployment. We love it! We use HireFire to manage dynos and react to variable loads on our server. We also take advantange of Heroku's beta Review Apps feature. We really love this. The more opportunity to test code before we push it into the wild, the better. Heroku rocks!
  • Easily deploy.
  • Review apps!
  • Add members easily.
  • Managing dynos (had to use third party service).
  • Analytics could be a bit better.
Not that I can think of....it really fits so many needs. From the individual hobby-ist to the larger 50-100 person company!
April 08, 2016

Review: "For Small Scale Apps, Heroku can't be beat"

I manage a number of small-scale projects that are deployed on Heroku. I work for a school where students often build and deploy open source projects on Heroku. Heroku is one of the most common deployment tools we use, but we also use AWS.
  • Heroku is extremely easy to get set up. It has very good documentation, and advanced features that can be utilized, but are not necessary.
  • Heroku is easy to connect to databases and external services and has seamless integration with Git.
  • Heroku's payment plans are straight forward. I have not run into issues of hidden costs or "gotchas".
  • Heroku does not scale as well as AWS. Options for scaling are also limited, which makes my company hesitant to use Heroku for any large-scale project.
  • Heroku does not provide detailed error handling. It often takes hours of debugging to find out why an app will not deploy correctly.
  • I have found automated deployment harder with Heroku; there are more steps involved when re-deploying the app than the couple of key strokes via the command line by AWS.
For small-scale apps, I absolutely recommend Heroku. When dealing with medium-size applications or apps that potentially need to scale, I would be more careful in choosing Heroku. A lot would depend on the build and deployment systems in place.
October 06, 2015

Review: "Heroku - A Great Choice for Developers Needing Quick Deployment"

Our company used Heroku in order to host the backend of our application. Due to rapid prototyping and creation of a MVP, we needed a solution that was quick to deploy and easy to set up. We resorted to Heroku because of its simplicity in getting our backend up and running. We were able to set up our database on MongoDB with ease by using the MongoLab add-on within Heroku.
  • Easy to deploy.
  • No need to manage infrastructure on your own.
  • Lots of third party add-ons.
  • There are no regional dependencies that you can control unlike AWS.
  • Locked into their platform.
  • No easy way to migrate to a different platform.
I would recommend Heroku when you need quick and simple deployment for an application.

Ease of building user interfaces (14)
9.2
Scalability (23)
Platform management overhead (22)
Workflow engine capability (15)
Platform access control (22)
Services-enabled integration (22)
Development environment creation (21)
9.2
Development environment replication (21)
Issue monitoring and notification (23)
Issue recovery (23)
Upgrades and platform fixes (23)

About Heroku