Score 6.0 out of 10

What is HostGator?

HostGator, from Newfold Digital (formerly Endurance), is a web hosting service with WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting capabilities.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of HostGator, and make your voice heard!

Hatchling

Baby

Business

What is HostGator?

HostGator Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.7.

The most common users of HostGator are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

I prefer HostGator over GoDaddy. HostGator does have better and more reliable customer support, and the user interface and user experience are overall much more friendly and easier to use. GoDaddy does have downtime associated with their hosting in my experience, but I have not experienced that with HostGator.
I have used Bluehost and Westhost before. All of these hosts were very similar--similar pricing, interface, uptime, and hosting options. We ended up moving to Bluehost as our sites grew. Overall, I like Bluehost better. They were more reliable and easier to use and I liked their customer service a little better.
I've found HostGator shared hosting to be a faster alternative to InMotion Hosting. inMotion's i/o limitations keep it second to HostGator, in my opinion. When compared to Bluehost, I've found HostGator to be faster and easier to configure and manage. The support for inMotion is overall quicker to connect than HostGator's.
HostGator is packed with much more features than our previous web hosts, and They had a lot of positive reviews. One of the reasons we selected them over some of the others was that even though they were WordPress-friendly, they still allowed us access to more complex features such as the ability to edit our own databases. Bluehost was much too simple.
Doug Skinner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Before moving to HostGator, we used a local hosting company that offered features and services it could not maintain. The cost escalated briefly while the product suffered, eventually killing the company altogether. Thankfully HostGator was available to provide everything we were looking for and half the price of the prior service. Since it wasn't just a local business, it offered stability we weren't getting anywhere else.
November 20, 2019

Jamie likes HostGator

This is for web design purposes. In versatility, not as good as WordPress, but pretty close to Squarespace and Wix. In ease of use, much easier than WordPress, about the same as Squarespace and Wix. In the choice of design templates, as good as all three.

The current client chose HostGator after we poured through hosting, email, and web design comparisons. She wanted all these services through the least number of vendors, and the price was right.
We chose HostGator because we were looking for a cloud hosting solution that has cPanel. Other cPanel hostings like SiteGround also provide cPanel cloud hosting but their price is really expensive. Other hosting solutions like DigitalOcean and Vultr are pretty affordable but you will need to be a developer to use them.
Dan Gospe | TrustRadius Reviewer
When we were looking at hosting companies, it boiled down to both HostGator & GoDaddy. We chose HostGator because the sales team spoke to us more directly, whereas GoDaddy felt like they were reading a script.

I did not compare speeds of websites between the two hosting companies, but it's something I wish I had done. However, speed isn't really that much of a deciding factor for us so it likely wouldn't have swayed us.
Steven Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
HostGator is competitive in pricing. Siteground and GoDaddy were close competitors. I also ended up using WebSynthesis with a unique IP and a managed WordPress service which solves any hacking issues.
Jennifer R Glass | TrustRadius Reviewer
We looked at GoDaddy and a few other hosting companies before signing with HostGator as a reseller. We've continued to look at other companies when a particular business case presented itself for us to do so, however, it has always come down to us staying with HostGator for our reseller platform.
I believe that HostGator is the most affordable and no-nonsense hosting provide of all that I've tried. I think they most closely compare with GoDaddy. However, HostGator is easier to work with and often has better pricing over the long run because they offer more promotional prices that don't rise over time like I've often experienced with GoDaddy. GoDaddy has a client area that is terribly confusing to navigate and HostGator has thankfully made their client area just as robust but much easier to navigate in comparison.