Score 6.0 out of 10

What is HostGator?

HostGator, from Newfold Digital (formerly Endurance), is a web hosting service with WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting capabilities.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of HostGator, and make your voice heard!

Hatchling

Baby

Business

What is HostGator?

HostGator Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.7.

The most common users of HostGator are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

If I have a very large website that will receive a lot of traffic, I may decide to host the website on a different hosting platform for a better sense of security. I do not think there is much else that I don't think Host Gator would be an appropriate web hosting solution that we can offer to our clients. Overall, a very happy customer.
For shared hosting, HostGator is perfect for those with enough technical knowledge to work through simple problems. The problems aren't due to the host. It's just that you may end up waiting for support if it's needed. For small low-load websites, it works well, but shared hosting can be a little slow with larger sites on Wordpress, WooCommerce, and a few plugins. Again, it will all work; it just may lag slightly.
HostGator seems to be geared toward bigger companies. The smaller lighter web packages do not have a lot of value added features, and they do not allow you to add them À la carte. They pretty much force you to take a higher priced package in order to get some of the features that other web hosts we previously used offered free.
Doug Skinner | TrustRadius Reviewer
HostGator is well suited for small businesses and personal use. We have a small public school district, so I can't speak to large applications, but it is perfectly priced and managed for our size.
November 20, 2019

Jamie likes HostGator

HostGator for email, domain and website hosting--delightful, 100% satisfied! Have always had ample capacity for company email needs, features work well. I have used it off and on for several organizations since 2011.

HostGator website building is fairly straightforward, although I wouldn't recommend it for first-time web designing. The pluses on the HostGator website builder: great-looking themes, adequate webpage capacity, really cool scrolling capabilities, which trends well now. Easier than building a WordPress website from scratch, which can also be done for free in HostGator. I'd say it's limited compared to feature-rich WP, but it designs as nicely as Wix.
HostGator is well suited to those on a smaller budget and or those who can provide their own in-house tech support. It is not suitable for the tech-illiterate who need more than just simple basic hosting for a small site.
If you are looking for a reputable hosting provider with a proven track record, then HostGator is going to be a good choice. Also HostGator is very good if you're not so technical. Their dashboard, even though it is a bit slow, is pretty self-explanatory. They have add-on upsells everywhere, but if that doesn't bother you, then it is going to be a good choice.
HostGator is a proven hosting company. They aren't having people sell their product as an affiliate. They hardly ever go down and if they do they are right back up or solving the issue in a timely manner. "New" and "startup" hosting sites are so unpredictable and go down way more than HostGator. We will always be customers of HostGator.
Dan Gospe | TrustRadius Reviewer
HostGator is cheap and will host your website and the users of your email. However, we did run into some issues over the years.

They sold us SiteLock, which is supposed to be an extra layer of security. We had it for a while, when our site was hacked. When I called HostGator they said that the SiteLock plan we had wasn't the right one to protect you, so they tried to upsell me on more SiteLock. This was very frustrating, as our site was down due to hacking and we were seen as a sales opportunity instead of clients who needed help.

It turned out during this time that the basic backup that was included with HostGator was not going to work to get us back up. The problem is that it backs up once per week, and overwrites whatever was there before. So, it had backed up after the hack. After that we decided to get their premium backup plan.

HostGator is good if you only need the most basic of services, unless you are willing to pay for the add-ons, and you might not even be aware of the add-ons until there's a problem.
Steven Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you want simple hosting with MySQL and PHP functionality or Wordpress/Joomla hosting, HostGator is a good solution. But this is not a managed hosting provider meaning that you have a lot responsibility to manage your own website.
Jack Kingsman | TrustRadius Reviewer
HostGator is good for small scale, run-of-the-mill site hosting with low to medium traffic (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.). Even their "unlimited" plan won't handle the traffic a major app needs, and you're better off using a more elastic service to host your app. But if all you need is a vanilla website for your store/small business/etc? They're not bad.
Jennifer R Glass | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a reseller for HostGator, I am always recommending my hosting solution to clients, potential and current. While HostGator is good for some people as a standalone, it's not how we are working with them.
I think HostGator is appropriate for a small business or a personal website. In my several years of experience I don't have a strong level of confidence in using them for a larger-scale website with ecommerce capabilities or heavy database dependencies. I think of HostGator as being better suited for basic brochure-style or promotional websites with fairly static content.