Score 6.0 out of 10

What is HostGator?

HostGator, from Newfold Digital (formerly Endurance), is a web hosting service with WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting capabilities.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of HostGator, and make your voice heard!

Hatchling

Baby

Business

What is HostGator?

HostGator Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 7.7.

The most common users of HostGator are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

We used HostGator to host our websites. We didn't have a lot of traffic going to the site so we needed a cheaper hosting option and went with HostGator. We reviewed a bunch of other web hosts and this fit what we needed the most for the price. We also got a really good sign-up promotion so it was a great deal.
  • They are a very cheap option to host websites.
  • They had a simple interface.
  • There were plenty of how-to articles and videos online.
  • Customer service was pretty good.
  • The interface was a bit dated and could have been refreshed.
  • There was occasional downtime that seemed like it lasted longer than it should have.
  • Renewal prices are higher.
HostGator is a great hosting option for small- to medium-sized websites. We had our websites hosted with HostGator and have had very few problems. HostGator was easy to navigate.
  • We hosted our websites pretty inexpensively with HostGator.
  • We set up our sites and didn't have many issues at all after that.
  • HostGator worked behind the scenes and we didn't have to worry about hosting.
  • For $5 a month it was a really great decision.
I have used Bluehost and Westhost before. All of these hosts were very similar--similar pricing, interface, uptime, and hosting options. We ended up moving to Bluehost as our sites grew. Overall, I like Bluehost better. They were more reliable and easier to use and I liked their customer service a little better.
Customer service was good. Plenty of information out there. They helped set up and any issues that came around.
I use HostGator's reseller shared hosting for client websites and a couple of my own sites. I use it for less-trafficked websites and lower budget clients. HostGator's shared hosting allows for a cheaper alternative to VPS hosting while sacrificing speed where it isn't needed. The service's uptime is very decent and a good value overall for the money.
  • Inexpensive
  • Reliable uptime
  • Wait times in support chat can belong.
  • First-tier support isn't always knowledgeable in technical details.
For shared hosting, HostGator is perfect for those with enough technical knowledge to work through simple problems. The problems aren't due to the host. It's just that you may end up waiting for support if it's needed. For small low-load websites, it works well, but shared hosting can be a little slow with larger sites on Wordpress, WooCommerce, and a few plugins. Again, it will all work; it just may lag slightly.
  • Reliable hosting to resell
  • Good shared hosting with well-rounded installers.
I've found HostGator shared hosting to be a faster alternative to InMotion Hosting. inMotion's i/o limitations keep it second to HostGator, in my opinion. When compared to Bluehost, I've found HostGator to be faster and easier to configure and manage. The support for inMotion is overall quicker to connect than HostGator's.
While you will get support from HostGator, it seems to be a different level from 8-10 years ago. It may take 15-20 minutes to get someone on chat, and unless you follow up, I've found followup email support to take a couple of days. If you stick with it, though, you will get support, and I've never had a problem they couldn't help with.
My company uses HostGator as our web host. Their services have been exemplary and they have almost 100% uptime. Part of our reason for choosing them was their cPanel access, which I find very intuitive and full of value added features. Our website is WordPress-based, and HostGator makes updating our site a very straightforward process.
  • CPanel access makes accessing my information easy.
  • Adding and deleting sub-sites is simple.
  • Their packages are geared more toward bigger companies.
  • Login process is a bit convoluted, and they bury too many important controls.
HostGator seems to be geared toward bigger companies. The smaller lighter web packages do not have a lot of value added features, and they do not allow you to add them À la carte. They pretty much force you to take a higher priced package in order to get some of the features that other web hosts we previously used offered free.
  • Allows us to host multiple subsites
  • File uploads take less time
HostGator is packed with much more features than our previous web hosts, and They had a lot of positive reviews. One of the reasons we selected them over some of the others was that even though they were WordPress-friendly, they still allowed us access to more complex features such as the ability to edit our own databases. Bluehost was much too simple.
They have an extensive knowledge base, and when I run into an issue that they have not posted about, it is easy to get in touch with somebody who can help me with my question. They offer multiple points of contact and are very responsive—which, in the rare event I have an issue with my service, is critical.
Doug Skinner | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • I have used HostGator in 2 capacities. First, in daily use, our district utilizes HostGator for our web hosting services. When our previous host became too expensive and unresponsive, we found HostGator did everything we needed better. It was cheaper and more efficient than our last host. Tech support was responsive at implementation, and there have been very few times we've needed to contact support since the product is stable and reliable.
  • I've also used HostGator in another organization through which email services are provided. In this capacity, I also find it stable, and it offers a variety of email clients to help fit our needs the best.
  • The Control Panel for web hosting is very user friendly.
  • Tech support is always responsive.
  • Tech support is responsive and helpful, but not without a special pin code. Since we need tech support infrequently when I do, I can never find that pin. It would be nice to have a quick client verification system.
  • Publishing updated pages are quick but could be faster by eliminating a couple of extraneous click.
HostGator is well suited for small businesses and personal use. We have a small public school district, so I can't speak to large applications, but it is perfectly priced and managed for our size.
  • The ROI was huge for us, the cost relatively minimal for what we needed in return.
  • In a small environment it's easily manageable by a single person.
Before moving to HostGator, we used a local hosting company that offered features and services it could not maintain. The cost escalated briefly while the product suffered, eventually killing the company altogether. Thankfully HostGator was available to provide everything we were looking for and half the price of the prior service. Since it wasn't just a local business, it offered stability we weren't getting anywhere else.
Support for us is rarely needed, which speaks to the stability and ease of use of the service. However, on rare occasion, we've needed support. It has been responsive and helpful. The online chat feature with a real support agent is a key reason for that.
November 20, 2019

Jamie likes HostGator

My client required a new website, domain, and Webhosting. The company wanted to keep the website operations within one company platform as much as possible and at a reasonable cost, and after some extensive research and advice from colleagues, she decided on HostGator for domain and Webhosting, and the HostGator website builder to create and maintain her new website.
  • cPanel is a wonderful one-stop-shop. Multiple web building support tools.
  • If my client hadn't chosen the HostGator website builder, we would have gone with WordPress Installer, included in the package. Additional HostGator website builders included.
  • Emails provided with the domain. Better than having to rely on 2nd party email servers.
  • Decent add ons, such as SEO Gears.
  • Too many supported website builders competing with one another (Gator, Weebly, goMobi, Joomla, HostGator website builder). One or two plus WordPress Installer would be sufficient and cut down on the confusion of choices. Why have Gator AND HostGator website builders?
  • Unnecessary to offer Constant Contact as a carrot. It's an expensive add-on.
  • Navigating around the cPanel is great if you know what you need to do, but not so intuitive for first-timers.
HostGator for email, domain and website hosting--delightful, 100% satisfied! Have always had ample capacity for company email needs, features work well. I have used it off and on for several organizations since 2011.

HostGator website building is fairly straightforward, although I wouldn't recommend it for first-time web designing. The pluses on the HostGator website builder: great-looking themes, adequate webpage capacity, really cool scrolling capabilities, which trends well now. Easier than building a WordPress website from scratch, which can also be done for free in HostGator. I'd say it's limited compared to feature-rich WP, but it designs as nicely as Wix.
  • For the current client using the HostGator domain and WebHost, and website builder, it's too early to tell, as the website is still being built out as an information gateway for colleagues. However, we feel the 2-year initial investment will be a very small expense if the website attracts a minimum of international clients in this first year. We designed the website to be beautiful, which we've found to be lacking in competitors (regulatory specialists).
  • For a current client who prevously used HostGator domain and WebHosting services: the cost of 6 years of HostGator service was negligible compared to $1 million+ in grant, donor, and fundraising income between 2008 and 2016.
This is for web design purposes. In versatility, not as good as WordPress, but pretty close to Squarespace and Wix. In ease of use, much easier than WordPress, about the same as Squarespace and Wix. In the choice of design templates, as good as all three.

The current client chose HostGator after we poured through hosting, email, and web design comparisons. She wanted all these services through the least number of vendors, and the price was right.
When setting up the account and getting started, we needed direct support on a number of occasions. It was pretty good. Phone and email support were generally better than online chat support but got needed help. But what's important is that direct support is always available to us. The only thing that keeps me from giving a higher rating is that a few times we were given a sales pitch to go with one of the other HostGator-supported web designing software as if there was an internal competitive sales challenge going on (and maybe there was). Felt like a diversion.
Apricot by Social Solutions, Microsoft Office 365, QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Airtable, Citrix ShareFile, Wix, Squarespace, Mailchimp, ReachMail, Canva, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Zoom
  • Price
  • Product Features
  • Product Usability
  • Product Reputation
  • Prior Experience with the Product
  • Vendor Reputation
  • Third-party Reviews
Product features--very robust webhosting and email hosting; website design features were everything that my client needed, not a huge learning curve. I was familiar with the webhosting and email hosting, but this is the first time I've designed a HostGator website. Lots of fun!
HostGator promotes a number of web design platforms. I could be tempted to try one of their other softwares. As far as the basics, HostGator "Hatchling" level of domain and webhosting support has never let me down.